Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

Helen Mirren is 70. That's not middle aged. Is she very attractive for her age? She definitely is. But I don't think it's fair to call someone out for suggesting a pensioner would be more attractive if she was younger.

Fair enough. But I'm not sure how else to take that "people" would not find her sexy because of her age except as a presumption. Because the correlation I get from it is that once you reach a certain age, people cease to look at you as if you're a sexual being. As it relates specifically to Helen Mirren, when the first RED movie came out, Karl Urban (who is three years younger than I am at 43) said that the sight of her wielding a machine gun was "one of the hottest things he'd seen in a while." So unless Urban is some kind of weirdo, maybe age can really be just a number.

• Love 2

My UO is I don't find Chris Hemsworth hot at all. I recognize that he's not unattractive by conventional standards, but he does nothing for me. It might be because the first thing I saw him in was Thor and that character just seemed so shallow and mindless.

Although I now think Chris Hemsworth is insanely hot, I was pretty much indifferent to him based on the commercials for the first Thor movie.  Then I saw him in Rush, and that completely changed my mind.  So I get where you're coming from.  And hey, if you never think he's hot, that's cool too.  Just more for me. ;-)

Edited by proserpina65

It doesn't compare because, despite cultural and generational differences, there are some commonly accepted parameters for conventional beauty. Generally, these things include a degree of facial symmetry, ideal facial proportions, and markers of youth/health/fecundity. Driver is touted as a hunk despite not fitting into those parameters. It's not just about personal taste.

Fine.  Then let's talk about a few women in the link I posted not considered a conventional beauty.

Lucy Worsley

MaOqsW1.jpg?1

Jennifer Saunders

r6Yn54i.jpg?1

Do either of them compare to Adam Driver?  Everyone is attractive to someone, IMO, so I don't see why it's such a problem that Adam Driver is on a "sexy men" list.  

Although I now think Chris Hemsworth is insanely hot, I was pretty much indifferent to him based on the commercials for the first Thor movie.  Then I saw him in Rush, and that completely changed my mind.  So I get where you're coming from.  And hey, if you never think he's hot, that's cool too.  Just more for me. ;-)

Chris is hot to me, too. It's Liam's appeal that's lost on me. 

• Love 1

Yes. I love a comic book movie. I enjoy sarcastic humour. I like meta but somehow every single preview for Deadpool makes me less and less interested in seeing it. I can't even put my finger on why, but I feel like he's so glib that there are no stakes, no hook to pull me in. I'm sure I'll eventually see it and maybe its the marketing underselling the actual story and the film itself might be very good, but from what I've seen so far, I'm not rushing out to watch it.

I think they're trying too hard to be "edgy" and "shocking", in part.

I think they're trying too hard to be "edgy" and "shocking", in part.

Which is what Marvel started doing with Deadpool in the comics. When they finally realised he was popular and started putting him in every damned book going. Of course, that was right around the time I had had enough of him.

Cable & Deadpool was a witty, warm, fun comic book. But it was written by Fabian Nicieza, who has always been able to write great, fun stories and make characters engaging. Deadpool doesn't need to be 'R-rated' to be good. Sadly, this itself is an unpopular opinion, it seems.

While I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad*, I'm having strong Superhero Movie Fatigue. Seeing ads for them makes my eyes glaze over.

*Mostly/only because of Viola Davis.

Alas, I suspect the scene in the trailer might be one of the few scenes she has.  If the film centered around Amanda Waller, my interest would definitely increase. 

• Love 2

I like Ryan Reynolds, and I have ever since his sitcom "Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place." I think he's fine as an actor, despite some clunkers, but I really don't understand all the "this is the role he was meant to play" regarding Deadpool.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've seen most of the trailers, and while I think they're funny (if violent), I don't see what makes Ryan uniquely suited to this role.

• Love 1

Unless people think he's just so dang likable that he deserves a hit movie, because let's face it, his choices lately have kind of stunk. I like him okay, he's no great heartthrob for me or anything, his acting seems like it was suited for a sitcom and nothing else.

• Love 4

I like him okay, he's no great heartthrob for me or anything, his acting seems like it was suited for a sitcom and nothing else.

Which, I'm sure, is why people thought the role was made for him--it's definitely a comedic performance.  Personally, I don't find him to be a heartthrob either (he's cute, but that's about it, imo), although, I was quite impressed when he took his shirt off for the first time in the movie  ;)  Since I'm not familiar with his other roles, I can't compare them vs. Deadpool, though.

• Love 1

Helen Mirren is 70. That's not middle aged. Is she very attractive for her age? She definitely is. But I don't think it's fair to call someone out for suggesting a pensioner would be more attractive if she was younger.

Gillian Anderson is 47. To me, that's middle aged. And yet she is smoking hot. Ming Na is 50, and looks as good now as she ever has. I still have a huge crush on Alison Janney, who is 56. They're all attractive regardless of their age, but not everyone is.

They said "hits and clears middle age"- I'm assuming that they meant clearing middle age, or getting past it. Like how you clear a hurdle.

Adam Driver being "hot" seems to be the popular opinion of the moment, like Benedict Cumberbatch being hot a couple of years ago. (Which I just never got, either.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Which is what Marvel started doing with Deadpool in the comics. When they finally realised he was popular and started putting him in every damned book going. Of course, that was right around the time I had had enough of him.

It's that "If so-and-so sells $x in this comic, he's sell n times as much if we put him in n of them!" thing.

I know the movie is almost 30 years old, but I always hated "When Harry Met Sally" for saying it showed that men and women could be friends, because it doesn't. Ultimately, Harry and Sally end up as romantic partners.

I never thought it intended to show that men and women could be just friends. If it had, Harry and Sally either would have stayed platonic friends or their relationship would never have recovered (as either romantic or non-romantic) after they had sex.

• Love 4

I know the movie is almost 30 years old, but I always hated "When Harry Met Sally" for saying it showed that men and women could be friends, because it doesn't. Ultimately, Harry and Sally end up as romantic partners.

I fell asleep watching When Harry Met Sally b/c I was bored.

I fell asleep watching When Harry Met Sally b/c I was bored.

Diff'rent Strokes for different folks, I guess. Maybe you're just not a romantic comedy kind of guy (gal), so this type of movie isn't for you. And that's okay. *sheds a tear for the 'White Man Overbite' joke*

• Love 1

I hate Zach Snyder, or however he spells his first name. Since I don't give a fuck about him, I don't give a fuck if I've misspelled his name.  I've been inundated with articles on my FB newsfeed about how the next movie after Dawn of Justice... and I am supremely pissed.  I distinctly remember reading somewhere how, the sequel to Man of Steel was supposed to come after this Affleck movie. But noooo. If I understand it, Wonder Woman is next, then Justice League Part I, then the Flash, then Aquaman, and then Justice League II...???!!! And maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but when the FUCK am I going to get Superman II? Or would that be Man of Steel II?? I want to see a movie where I can see more of Henry Cavill's Clark become Superman, or see how he gets that name. I think this movie that's coming out next month is totally an Affleck project and that Cavill will be shafted. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll know soon enough from those that are going to see this movie. I, for one, am not going to. And that's saying a LOT, considering that Batman is my favorite hero!

So Snyder and his people can just fuck off.

• Love 3

I hate Zach Snyder, or however he spells his first name. Since I don't give a fuck about him, I don't give a fuck if I've misspelled his name.  I've been inundated with articles on my FB newsfeed about how the next movie after Dawn of Justice... and I am supremely pissed.  I distinctly remember reading somewhere how, the sequel to Man of Steel was supposed to come after this Affleck movie. But noooo. If I understand it, Wonder Woman is next, then Justice League Part I, then the Flash, then Aquaman, and then Justice League II...???!!! And maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but when the FUCK am I going to get Superman II? Or would that be Man of Steel II?? I want to see a movie where I can see more of Henry Cavill's Clark become Superman, or see how he gets that name. I think this movie that's coming out next month is totally an Affleck project and that Cavill will be shafted. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll know soon enough from those that are going to see this movie. I, for one, am not going to. And that's saying a LOT, considering that Batman is my favorite hero!

So Snyder and his people can just fuck off.

I agree with you on Snyder. He's an awful director. But as bad as he is, Cavill is an even worse actor. I can't recall the last time I saw someone as patently untalented in a major role in a major movie. The Superman movie they did together was appallingly bad. I didn't even make it to the end, when I tried to watch it. Just switched off during the (seemingly) hour long 'final' confrontation between Superman and Zod.

• Love 1

I agree with you. She was the best thing about American Hustle.

I don't care for Jennifer Lawrence at all, but I saw American Hustle for the first time a few days ago and I have to admit that she was the best thing about it.

Cable & Deadpool was a witty, warm, fun comic book. But it was written by Fabian Nicieza, who has always been able to write great, fun stories and make characters engaging. Deadpool doesn't need to be 'R-rated' to be good. Sadly, this itself is an unpopular opinion, it seems.

The whole Deadpool thing depresses the hell out of me.   I read one review praising the R-rated language and the many dick jokes.

It's a poor reflection on our culture when even costumed comic book characters have to be foul-mouthed and crude.    As a longtime fan of comic books and superheros, I just can't understand people who think this is a wonderful development.

• Love 5

Mad Max was a good movie, but it was also overrated as hell. Meaning I liked it, but not to the extent that everyone was gushing over it. So I'm glad that the movie lost the big Oscar categories, but it definitely deserved all the technical awards it scooped up. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 5

I agree with you. She was the best thing about American Hustle.

Agreed. Plus, I never understood the complaint that she was too young. I thought the whole point of her character was that she was young and couldn't handle adult stuff. I thought she had a baby at 15/16 and then married the first older man she could so that he could take care of her and her kid. She doesn't know how to adult properly (fires in the kitchen, etc.) and then she sees her husband get along better with an actual adult woman and that causes her to act out.

• Love 4

I don't care for Jennifer Lawrence at all, but I saw American Hustle for the first time a few days ago and I have to admit that she was the best thing about it.

I thought that she and Bale were both visible "acting" and I did not enjoy either prerformance.  Adams and Cooper were better (but still not great).  I though Renner was the most under appreciated individual in that entire mess (which really isn't saying much as I detested that film).

• Love 2

For me, Liam is physically attractive but void of personality and charisma.  Whatever it is that Chris has, Liam doesn't.

I think he's probably the more handsome of the two, but the only time I've ever seen him show a glimmer of personality and charisma was during a guest appearance on The Muppets. And let's face it, if the Muppets can't make you appealing by association, you might as well go live under  bridge.

• Love 1

Mad Max was a good movie, but it was also overrated as hell. Meaning I liked it, but not to the extent that everyone was gushing over it. So I'm glad that the movie lost the big Oscar categories, but it definitely deserved all the technical awards it scooped up. 

I just saw this, and agree completely.  It was visually arresting and spectacular.  Furiosa was a BAMF. But one of my pet peeves is garbled dialogue, and there was a lot of it, especially in the beginning.  If I have to use closed captioning or back up a scene to understand what the hell is being said, that's automatic demerits.  Plus, with all of the hype, I expected it to be, I don't know, deep? Nuanced? Subversive? Yeah, the plot was basic.  And that's fine - I can appreciate simplicity in storytelling.  But I've seen it once, got what it was about, and don't need to see it again.   

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1

I am grateful that producers decided to go with Marni Nixon's singing in The King and I, West Side Story, and most especially, My Fair Lady.  

I know there has been a lot written about the resentments, much of it sympathetic, of the actresses involved.  

Flip it around.  Would you want Marni Nixon acting and, say, Audrey Hepburn singing?   Of course not.  You go with the best in each position, don't you?

• Love 1

Not only did I think Crimson Peak was a cliche-riddled bore (as was Pacific Rim, but that's a UO for another day), but I've come to the realization that I really don't like Mia Wasikowska as an actress. Her acting range consists of staring into the middle distance and reacting to every situation, no matter how bizarre or terrifying, with little more than Dull Surprise*. Seeing a talking mouse and Tweedledee and Tweedledum? Dull Surprise!  A hideous ghost hovering over her? Dull Surprise! 

It's so unsatisfying to play a nice, sweet girl. It's so dreadfully boring and almost painful! I like to play characters who have their own fire.

You sure could have fooled me, honey, because, with the exception of your mischievous vampire in Only Lovers Left Alive, you're dreadfully boring in every part you play! Mia's Alice, Jane Eyre, Emma Bovary, and Edith Cushing have all the "fire" of last night's casserole!

*I've said it before, and it bears repeating: I friggin' love MST3K.

• Love 4

Not only did I think Crimson Peak was a cliche-riddled bore

What?! You mean you're not totally enamored of Tom Hiddleston playing yet another venal, spineless coward who is up to his eyeballs in Man Pain?

Seriously, the only thing that makes Thomas Sharpe not exactly like Loki is that Thomas doesn't have super powers, because otherwise, they're twins. "Venal" is the kindest thing I can call him, since Lucille was the one who did most of the killings, but he looked the other way, looked the other way and would have let her do Edith in as well had he not decided that his "love" for her was too strong.

• Love 3

What?! You mean you're not totally enamored of Tom Hiddleston playing yet another venal, spineless coward who is up to his eyeballs in Man Pain?

Venal had to be looked up and now I have to find a way to use it in a sentence!

• Love 1

Venal had to be looked up and now I have to find a way to use it in a sentence!

Oh, I thought I knew what that meant but I just looked it up and I was wrong!  You learn something new every day!!

• Love 2

I love Robin Williams and miss him very much.  I thought the character of Mrs. Doubtfire was hilarious.  But I did not like the movie Mrs. Doubtfire.

When I told a friend this, she acted like I had gone nuts.  But I can't help it.  I know you are supposed to take a comedy with a grain of salt, but honestly, more parts made me cringe than actually laugh.  Divorce sucks for everyone involved, but the kids are the ones that get the full brunt of it.  And without the comedy, the plot itself is really, really messed up.

The only part I liked was at the end when Robin Williams and Sally Field finally realized how much the whole situation was hurting their kids and agreed to call a truce  so they could share custody of the children.  And of course Mrs. Doubtfire's advice to children of divorce was very touching.  I'm sure it reached a lot of viewers. 

• Love 6

That's an interesting point about Mrs. Doubtfire. While I thought it was funny in parts, there was something about the premise that always struck me as creepy. Maybe because I was a kid at the time whose parents were divorcing and in a nasty custody battle for years that essentially ruined my childhood, but the idea that he was disguised for so long and deceiving them like that was just weird to me. At the end when the judge is talking about psychiatric evaluation I was like yep, that sounds about right.

I think because they wanted it to be treated sort of realistically, but in reality, there is no way that he would have been granted any rights to those kids after that stunt he pulled, and Sally Field would be 100% in the right in keeping them from him. What he did would have absolutely been psychologically damaging for the kids.

• Love 3

One of my bosses refused to see Mrs. Doubtfire because he had friends hire a nanny who murdered their child. After her arrest the police discovered the nanny was actually a man. I have never been able to watch the movie after hearing that.

I love Robin Williams and miss him very much. I thought the character of Mrs. Doubtfire was hilarious. But I did not like the movie Mrs. Doubtfire.

When I told a friend this, she acted like I had gone nuts. But I can't help it. I know you are supposed to take a comedy with a grain of salt, but honestly, more parts made me cringe than actually laugh. Divorce sucks for everyone involved, but the kids are the ones that get the full brunt of it. And without the comedy, the plot itself is really, really messed up.

The only part I liked was at the end when Robin Williams and Sally Field finally realized how much the whole situation was hurting their kids and agreed to call a truce so they could share custody of the children. And of course Mrs. Doubtfire's advice to children of divorce was very touching. I'm sure it reached a lot of viewers.

I always hated this movie ALWAYS.

• Love 1

I've said it before, and I need to say it again here, so I can vent about it, at least. I'm not going to see Batman v. Superman. The top three reasons being my utter dislike for Ben Affleck and Jesse Eisenberg, and my loathing and hatred for Zack Snyder--are too much for my love for Jeremy Irons and Henry Cavill to overcome it. Plus the hatchet job they've done on my favorite superhero. I've also said it in other places, so I really do resent when people (no one here) say they hope they don't agree with me when they go see the movie. First and foremost: I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. This is just how I feel. And I hate that when they say things like this, it gets my back up, and I feel I have to defend my reasons.  

That said, I'm pissed as well. Because I have that wonderful poster of the Trinity: Bats-Diana-Supes on my wall, and I have always wanted to see them on the big screen together. But not gonna happen when I can't stand the guy who's playing Bats. I just don't like him as an actor. I just don't.

Dammit.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if this is unpopular. However; I have to give praise to the upcoming 'BvS' flick for having Wonder Woman actually APPEAR to be an Amazon princess far more authentically  than the comic version or even the iconic Lynda Carter! I mean, if one put her on a battlefield with  Classical Spartans, they wouldn't attempt to laugh her off the premises as they likely would have  other incarnations.

• Love 1

I am grateful that producers decided to go with Marni Nixon's singing in The King and I, West Side Story, and most especially, My Fair Lady.

I know there has been a lot written about the resentments, much of it sympathetic, of the actresses involved.

Flip it around. Would you want Marni Nixon acting and, say, Audrey Hepburn singing? Of course not. You go with the best in each position, don't you?

I would argue that Julie Andrews should have been the movie Eliza Doolittle since she had been the stage Eliza. Then you wouldn't have needed Marni Nixon at all (who I do think had a beautiful voice). Audrey Hepburn was entirely too classy, even when Eliza was down and out in the beginning.

I believe the producers let her sing the opening lines of "Just You Wait," and it's particularly glaring when Marni takes over.

(Of course, the real love story of My Fair Lady is Col. Pickering and Henry Higgins, two "confirmed"* bachelors setting up house together.)

An unrelated UO is that I find Seth Rogan kind of hot. I like his type -- big, beefy, bearded. I think he's an asshole on every talk show I've seen him on, but he's nice to look at.

Now, Jennifer Lawrence I've found funny on talk shows, but it annoys me that apparently she's contracted to appear in every movie made today.

*"Confirmed bachelor" was code for a gay man back in the day.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

An unrelated UO is that I find Seth Rogan kind of hot. I like his type -- big, beefy, bearded. I think he's an asshole on every talk show I've seen him on, but he's nice to look at.

I don't watch talk shows (just certain clips online that I think look fun/interesting), so I don't know about the asshole part, but yeah, I think he's a good looking guy, too.

I don't think that highly of the original Ghostbusters movies.  The soundtracks were way more memorable for me than the films themselves.  I recently watched the films again, given the kerfuffle about the reboot, to see if I was missing some kind of magic that I didn't recall from my childhood.  Nah. It did remind me that Venkman was more annoying than funny (but then, I'm not much of a Bill Murray fan).  

The one thing I do appreciate about the sequel, particularly in the current environment of superhero and action films, is that the protagonists actually suffered long-term consequences for the collateral damage from the first film.  Granted, it was small potatoes compared to the current Bay-esque bloatfests that permeate the landscape today. 

• Love 1

I hate My Fair Lady, because Eliza was an idiot for going back to a BLOOMIN' ARSE* like Higgins. Dammit, woman, you're making the mistake to end all mistakes going back to that abusive, pompous boor!!

The songs are good, but they're not good enough to make me like it.

*Sorry, the opportunity was there, so I took it. :)

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2