Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)

It's been said here before, but because today is its 20th anniversary, it has to be said again:

Are you seriously going to tell me that Mean Girls is a better teen movie than Clueless? AS IF! :P 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 15
(edited)

It's been said here before, but because today is its 20th anniversary, it has to be said again:

Are you seriously going to tell me that Mean Girls is a better teen movie than Clueless? AS IF! :P 

As if, indeed, UYI!!! :) Clueless is a legitimate classic (for heaven's sake, it's one of the films mentioned in the book 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die). Mean Girls is toothless and overrated; when I'm in the mood for a mean comedy about mean girls, I'll take Heathers any day.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 11

10 Things I Hate About You is better than both of them. :P

• Love 3
(edited)

Clueless wins for me because it's the best Jane Austen adaptation ever. ( Now that's an UO, or at least it would be over on the TCM board:)) I saw it in the theater when it came out and I didn't even realize it was Emma til 40 minutes into the film.  Genius.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 8

10 Things I Hate About You is better than both of them. :P

Ooh. That is tough. I would say 10 Things and Clueless are about equal to me. The 90s teen comedies are probably the best in my opinion.

Easy A is probably my favorite teen movie from the past decade.

• Love 6
Clueless wins for me because it's the best Jane Austen adaptation ever. ( Now that's an UO, or at least it would be over on the TCM board:))

Well, certainly not by me. I completely agree. Although I think if Jeremy Northam had been given anything (seriously, _anything_) to work with the other Emma would have been a pretty decent movie.

As if, indeed, UYI!!! :) Clueless is a legitimate classic (for heaven's sake, it's one of the films mentioned in the book 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die). Mean Girls is toothless and overrated; when I'm in the mood for a mean comedy about mean girls, I'll take Heathers any day.

I agree about Heathers, but I'll always have a sneaking fondness for Mean Girls for giving us "make fetch happen."

• Love 2

I agree about Heathers, but I'll always have a sneaking fondness for Mean Girls for giving us "make fetch happen."

Mean Girls vs. Clueless vs. Heathers--do I have to choose? I love all three. They're all so funny and quotable. The first time I saw Mean Girls, Damian's line "And I want my pink shirt back!" had me in stiches. That's still one of my favorite scenes from the movie.

• Love 7

Mean Girls vs. Clueless vs. Heathers--do I have to choose? I love all three. They're all so funny and quotable. The first time I saw Mean Girls, Damian's line "And I want my pink shirt back!" had me in stiches. That's still one of my favorite scenes from the movie.

Agreed.  I think they all have an important place in the pantheon.

• Love 5
(edited)

Agreed.  I think they all have an important place in the pantheon.

I'm with this 100%  Each one is so different from the others to me that I wouldn't compare them at all.  Fantastic films!

Edited by QueerGirrl

Well, certainly not by me. I completely agree. Although I think if Jeremy Northam had been given anything (seriously, _anything_) to work with the other Emma would have been a pretty decent movie.

Possible unpopular opinion: Jeremy Northam's Knightley is better than Colin Firth's Darcy and I say this as someone who loves Colin Firth. 

• Love 2

My favourite Mr Knightley is Johnny Lee Miller's version from the BBC version. He was even the same age as the fictional Knightley.

Northam seems to have really dropped out of the spotlight since the 2000s.

• Love 4
(edited)

Most random complaint ever: it bores me that the IMDb "Trivia" section for all period/Austen pieces is filled with pointing out where/who/when the costumes have been previously used.  Although it's interesting that these costumes do have long storied lives I like my trivia to be more trivial.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

My favourite Mr Knightley is Johnny Lee Miller's version from the BBC version. He was even the same age as the fictional Knightley.

Which is heartbreaking, JMO. He was in a movie a few years ago called Dean Spanley which only recently became available in the states with (60s—early oughts hot guy murderer's row) Peter O'Toole, Bryan Brown and Sam Neill.

• Love 1

He's been doing a lot of TV lately, including "The Tudors".

He's been doing a lot of TV lately, including "The Tudors".

I did not want to imply that he wasn't working, but at one point, he was the English guy for period piece movies: Emma, An Ideal Husband, Enigma, Gosford Park, etc. Since then, he's faded a bit. He was on the "The Tudors" eight years ago. I'm a bit surprised he isn't getting more British or American TV roles because he still looks good.

• Love 1

I did not want to imply that he wasn't working, but at one point, he was the English guy for period piece movies: Emma, An Ideal Husband, Enigma, Gosford Park, etc. Since then, he's faded a bit. He was on the "The Tudors" eight years ago. I'm a bit surprised he isn't getting more British or American TV roles because he still looks good.

He's got a couple of things he's done in England in the last year or so, but yeah, there was something of a long break between The Tudors/Miami Medical and now.

Possible rant ahead.

I've come to dread it when a new superhero movie comes out. I really enjoy the MarvelVerse itself, but I know that with it comes the relentless, ruthless deconstruction of every last element of the movies. I don't care that Hope didn't get to wear the suit in Ant-Man, or that Gamora had more conscience than a genetically modified killer should probably have had, or that Black Widow hasn't gotten her own movie, and I don't think there's some kind of subliminal "women are inferior" message there. Must we examine everything down to its molecular level, particularly in Hope's case? Somehow it isn't enough that Scott himself says it would be better if she put on the damn suit, and even after Hank explains why he doesn't want her doing so, there's still this tone of, "Well, if she doesn't get to, then its because she's a woman and Marvel doesn't like women." from some people. Not necessarily here, but from some places, and it kind of makes me crazy.

Mini-rant over.

• Love 10

I actually think Liam Hemsworth was better in the 3 Hunger Games movies than Josh Hutcherson was.  That said, neither of them can act their way out of open paper bags.  Jennifer Lawrence was definitely doing all the heavy lifting in that triangle.  Oh, and I think Sam Claflin was quite good as Finnick.  Maybe it helps that I saw the movies first.

• Love 2

re: Jeremy Northan and reduced activity

Like any normal person, he probably suffered from burnout, becuase like for awhile he was male Keira Kinghtley, Helen Bonham Carter when it came to costume/period dramas.

My fave: The Winslow boy

I've come to dread it when a new superhero movie comes out. I really enjoy the MarvelVerse itself, but I know that with it comes the relentless, ruthless deconstruction of every last element of the movies. I don't care that Hope didn't get to wear the suit in Ant-Man, or that Gamora had more conscience than a genetically modified killer should probably have had, or that Black Widow hasn't gotten her own movie, and I don't think there's some kind of subliminal "women are inferior" message there. Must we examine everything down to its molecular level, particularly in Hope's case? Somehow it isn't enough that Scott himself says it would be better if she put on the damn suit, and even after Hank explains why he doesn't want her doing so, there's still this tone of, "Well, if she doesn't get to, then its because she's a woman and Marvel doesn't like women." from some people. Not necessarily here, but from some places, and it kind of makes me crazy.

I've been known for briefly joining these discussions--I'm personally interested in Black Widow's history and wouldn't mind a movie, I'd like to see some super hero stuff for girls and I took the "you're reading too much into it" position of BW's treatment in the 2nd Avenger's movie--but I bow out pretty quick because I, too, think they go overboard and, quite honestly, it can, at times, make me wonder if there's something wrong with me for not caring that much.  Some of it would have never crossed my mind if I hadn't read what was being said in articles and forums.  I think people tend to "examine everything down to its molecular level" in most movies and it drives me crazy, too. 

I actually think Liam Hemsworth was better in the 3 Hunger Games movies than Josh Hutcherson was.  That said, neither of them can act their way out of open paper bags.  Jennifer Lawrence was definitely doing all the heavy lifting in that triangle.  Oh, and I think Sam Claflin was quite good as Finnick.  Maybe it helps that I saw the movies first.

I agree that Sam Claflin is a fine Finnick. I think the way the character was written made people upset that he wasn't the hottest ever, but I don't care. Claflin is likable and a good actor.

On the note of Liam Hemsworth, I think he is more attractive than his brother.

• Love 2

Unpopular opinion: Audrey's vocals are underrated because of My Fair Lady.   She was fine in her imperfect warbling in "My funny face" and absolutely sublime in "Breakfast at Tiffanys" , the songwriter said that hers was stil the best version of the song as far as capturing the pathos and longing he had in mind for it.
I thought Audrey's  imperfect vocal version of "Wouldn't it be loverly" was miles better as a scene then the ending final product on My Fair Lady with the dubbed vocals.   

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=Lkry&hsimp=yhs-SF01&type=YHS_SF_5600&channelid=989&p=youtube+audrey+hep

It was obvious however, that it was probably Marni's Nixon's (or someone's)  ending sang verses on the song, but still Audrey fit the cockney character with her singing.

Which brings me to the point of dubbing vocals, sometimes it's great.  Does anybody care that it's NOT Rita Hayworth's singing in "Put the blame on Blame" in GILDA because that scene works so well regardless.

However as much as I love Audrey there is no way she could have sang the whole of "My fair Lady".  Here is her "show me" and it is Pierce Brosnan (Mama Mia) Russel Crowe (Les Miz) levels of bad:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=youtube+audrey+hepburn+show+me&vid=5daecb210de92bc93077cdffd46ea2e6&tu

The problem is they ultimately used  the "perfect" but soulless singing of Marni Nixon  which didn't fit Audrey at all.  Never understood why they couldn't have used a singer with less than perfect technique but who  matched somewhat (impossible to actually duplicate) some of the idiosyncrasies of Audrey's voice for the singing.

Same problem with Natalie Wood and "West Side Story".

• Love 2

Also dubbed by Marnie. I thought her best dubbing was in The King and I. I read parts of her autobiography, and Deborah and she worked very closely throughout that shoot to make their voices blend as seamlessly as possible. If I recall, she didn't get to do that on other movies and it shows IMO.

• Love 1

On the dubbing topic, one thing I like about Guys and Dolls is that Jean Simmons sings "If I Were a Bell" very imperfectly - she's flat once or twice, you can hear her really reaching for some notes -- but her version stayed in the flick.  For some reason, I find it reassuring that a Salvation Army officer isn't necessarily an opera-quality singer (and the same goes for itinerant gambler Skye Masterson, even if Sinatra did refer to Brando as Mumbles.)

(edited)

Yea dubbing is case by case with me and it usually depends on how much you sacrifice characterization for vocal heft.

In the sad case of Russell Crowe as Javert (Les Miz) his actual singing voice diminished the characterization.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

The boys get very little to do next to Katniss that I think it's unfair to judge sometimes. I saw the 3rd film with my sister (I' ve read the books,she has not ) and her remarks were that it was the first film she felt ANYTHING for Gale and that he quite frankly hadn't registered before.

And I saw the first 2 films before reading the books and I don't get the criticism of the casting of Claflin. All I know is that he's better looking than most men I run into day to day and he is a good actor. He is a great Finnick if you ask me.

I agree that Sam Claflin is a fine Finnick. I think the way the character was written made people upset that he wasn't the hottest ever, but I don't care. Claflin is likable and a good actor.

I thought he was pretty damned hot, too.

The boys get very little to do next to Katniss that I think it's unfair to judge sometimes.

You have a point there.  Next time I watch the movies (and there will be a next time because ABC Family runs them a lot), I'll try keeping that perspective in mind and see if it improves my opinion of their performances.

While I wouldn't disagree that Liam Hemsworth is quite attractive, his brother just has charisma coming out his ears, and there's something about that which I find really sexy.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the dumbest thing that the adaptations of the Hunger Games did (and I do like them quite a bit) was remove Book Peeta's natural charm, especially in the first movie.  Josh Hutcherson is a naturally charming guy, which makes me understand why they hired him as Peeta.  Plus, just from a plot standpoint, it helps set up why the District audiences love Peeta, and then in turn, support him and Katniss - she even makes off hand remarks in the book about how he's really saving her by making their team more likable.  But they completely erased that part of his personality for the films, and in doing so, leaves you with this kind of empty vessel of a character.   

With Liam Hemsworth, all I can ever think about when I see him is the Fug Girls' recap of The Last Song.  "He greets every plot twist with a mix of amusement, confusion, and vacant good humor. It’s like his version of Blue Steel, except it’s supposed to have depth of feeling." could describe his face for every single movie he is in.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 6

Liam's pretty but Chris has all the talent and charisma of the family.

Josh hasn't had a lot to do in the films (and didn't wow me in the first two) but he showed some talent in Mockingjay 1 and we'll see if he can manage the material of Mockingjay 2.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the dumbest thing that the adaptations of the Hunger Games did (and I do like them quite a bit) was remove Book Peeta's natural charm, especially in the first movie. Josh Hutcherson is a naturally charming guy, which makes me understand why they hired him as Peeta. Plus, just from a plot standpoint, it helps set up why the District audiences love Peeta, and then in turn, support him and Katniss - she even makes off hand remarks in the book about how he's really saving her by making their team more likable. But they completely erased that part of his personality for the films, and in doing so, leaves you with this kind of empty vessel of a character.

They also removed this sense of Gale's simmering rage. TPTB and Jennifer Lawrence did a good job of making us feel something for a very withdrawn character. The problem is most of what we learned about Peeta and Gale was told to us in the first person by the same said withdrawn character. And what they did show in the first film, I felt like they completely changed the feeling of the bread scene .

On the other hand they spent some time developing Snow and the game maker. The latter of the two we never meet in the books.

With Liam Hemsworth, all I can ever think about when I see him is the Fug Girls' recap of The Last Song. "He greets every plot twist with a mix of amusement, confusion, and vacant good humor. It’s like his version of Blue Steel, except it’s supposed to have depth of feeling." could describe his face for every single movie he is in.

Just saw this and laughed like crazy in public while scrolling through it.

Eta sometimes I wonder if the lack of emphasis on the boys was done to take away from the triangle aspect and to lessen any comparisons to Twilight.

Edited by raezen
  • Love 1

Ewan McGregor, Cate Blanchette, Benedict Cumberbatch, etc, so many of the "good " English actors, their AMERICAN accent are distracting to me.

I totally agree. I can always tell if someone doesn't really talk that way too- for some reason it's totally acceptable for all British actors to pretend to be American no matter how off their accent is. I'm tired of it. I honestly wish we could just do it the way they used to in the Old Hollywood days (or really all the way into the 80's), where people just talked in their regular voice no matter what. Actors like James Mason, Julie Christie, Dudley Moore, Sean Connery- those guys never bothered to pretend to have an American accent even if they were living in the U.S. in the movie. Let's just go back to that.

• Love 7

I honestly wish we could just do it the way they used to in the Old Hollywood days (or really all the way into the 80's), where people just talked in their regular voice no matter what. Actors like James Mason, Julie Christie, Dudley Moore, Sean Connery- those guys never bothered to pretend to have an American accent even if they were living in the U.S. in the movie. Let's just go back to that.

One of my favorite things about The Hunt for Red October is that Sean Connery didn't even try to put on a Russian accent lol

• Love 5

I remember there was quite a kerfuffle across the pond because Renee Zellwegger was chosen for the part and had a British accent for "Bridget Jones' Diary."  I loved the fact that the Brits were annoyed.  

• Love 3

I probably would have been annoyed too if I were a Brit. I still get irked by stuff like Henry Cavill and Andrew Garfield (now Tom Holland) as Superman and Spider-Man. I don't know why, it's just as reflex- I tend to want iconic American characters to be played by Americans.

Anne Hathaway had a pretty awful English accent in One Day. So it definitely goes both ways.That said there's also Australians playing British/American and even other Europeans playing either. If the accent I hear sounds a bit wonky I usually just fanwank that there was some parental influence or the person spent time at boarding school or whatever. Accents tend to greatly vary between people anyways.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't care that Charlie Hunnam dropped out of FSOG, I really don't. And I don't particularly need him to be the next big thing in film.

I've liked Charlie Hunnam ever since he appeared as the British exchange student on the short-lived WB summer series Young Americans (I actually didn't catch either Queer as Folk or Sons of Anarchy), but it's kind of cool that he seems to be having a big revival moment right now. He was a hyped pretty boy back in the early 2000's who didn't really deliver, and now he's coming back in as a rugged sexy beast type.

I might have already said this, but I do not care for Bennedict Cumberbatch. Like, at all. I don't find him attractive and I don't get why there's so much fawning over him like he's this decade's Colin Firth.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6
I might have already said this, but I do not care for Bennedict Cumberbatch. Like, at all. I don't find him attractive and I don't get why there's so much fawning over him like he's this decade's Colin Firth.

ITA.  I haven't found him to be the least bit interesting and am truly mystified by all the fuss/

• Love 4
(edited)

I might have already said this, but I do not care for Bennedict Cumberbatch.

The only thing I knew about him before last year's Oscar nominations was that he was a popular actor. I didn't know what he looked like and, of course, didn't know if I'd agree that he was that great.  Having seen one movie he was in--The Imitation Game--I can say that 1. I do not find him attractive, but 2. If TIG is any indication, he really is a fantastic actor. I don't know anything about his personal life (having read nothing except that he's a father now and having not seen any interviews), so I can't comment on whether or not I like him as a person.

Since I saw it on tv recently:  I like Evan Almighty much better than Bruce Almighty.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2

ITA.  I haven't found him to be the least bit interesting and am truly mystified by all the fuss/

I think people just like saying Benedict Cumberbatch.

Meanwhile, I don't wish to see or hear of another "found footage" film.     

• Love 3

I think he's a fine actor, but looks-wise he does nothing for me, so I don't get the fawning either.  Although, for that matter, I feel the exact same way about Colin Firth.

• Love 1

I think he's a fine actor, but looks-wise he does nothing for me, so I don't get the fawning either.  Although, for that matter, I feel the exact same way about Colin Firth.

I think sometimes the character the actor plays is what makes him/her attractive.  I think Cumberbatch, talented as he is, looks a bit like the lovechild of an alien and praying mantis - however, once he dons his trench coat and deerstalker I find myself a little weak in the knees.

Same for Allan Rickman - not very handsome (not hideous either) but the minute he speaks I swoon.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think sometimes the character the actor plays is what makes him/her attractive.  I think Cumberbatch, talented as he is, looks a bit like the lovechild of an alien and praying mantis - however, once he dons his trench coat and deerstalker I find myself a little weak in the knees.

Same for Allan Rickman - not very handsome (not hideous either) but the minute he speaks I swoon.

I guess it might be their characters? All I know is that the way Rickman plays his characters gives me the impression that they think they're better than you are because they're _them_, and Cumberbatch's characters give me the impression that they think they're better than you because you're kind of a plebe. Which annoys me a lot more.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

I wish these were outlawed and the people behind Blair Witch tried for crimes against humanity.

It's my understanding that the makers of Blair Witch didn't create the idea of a "found footage" film, but for good or ill (mostly ill), it seemed to take off after Blair Witch. So I'm willing to give them all of the blame.

• Love 4
MILLENNIUM, ON 27 JUL 2015 - 01:48 AM, SAID:

I wish these were outlawed and the people behind Blair Witch tried for crimes against humanity.

It's my understanding that the makers of Blair Witch didn't create the idea of a "found footage" film, but for good or ill (mostly ill), it seemed to take off after Blair Witch. So I'm willing to give them all of the blame.

I agree - though I will admit I thought Chronicle was well done (and the only "found footage" film I liked).  I thought Blair Witch was so over-rated, I kept waiting for something to happen and for the film to get "scary" -- I was bored.

• Love 4

I think sometimes the character the actor plays is what makes him/her attractive.  I think Cumberbatch, talented as he is, looks a bit like the lovechild of an alien and praying mantis - however, once he dons his trench coat and deerstalker I find myself a little weak in the knees.

I tend to find articulate, smooth talking, intellectual men (and characters) very sexy.  Add Patrick Stewart to the list, for example.  (Although I have not seen PS in movies.)