Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

I think realism in superhero movies is overrated. I like that about the Tim Burton Batman movies. They were set in this gothic other world but they were still dark and brooding and fit the Batman tone. They had a particular vision and I love that about them.

I like the Nolan ones too (although really just The Dark Knight, and mostly for Heath Ledger's Joker), but comic books and superheroes aren't realistic, so I don't necessarily think they need to be treated as such.

I don't think you can convey the magic and fun of a character like Superman if you try to force him to be realistic.

• Love 9

I think realism in superhero movies is overrated. I like that about the Tim Burton Batman movies. They were set in this gothic other world but they were still dark and brooding and fit the Batman tone. They had a particular vision and I love that about them.

I like the Nolan ones too (although really just The Dark Knight, and mostly for Heath Ledger's Joker), but comic books and superheroes aren't realistic, so I don't necessarily think they need to be treated as such.

I don't think you can convey the magic and fun of a character like Superman if you try to force him to be realistic.

Thank you. Tim Burton's Batman movies are my favorites (is that an UO?).

• Love 7
(edited)
I've never understood why Damon is considered a better actor. They've always been about the same for me.  

I think I've only ever liked Matt Damon in the first Bourne movie. And the only thing I ever think of any Ben Affleck performance is "that was ok."

Edited by Gillian Rosh

I think Matt Damon is incredibly versatile, watch any film where he does the unexpected, he's very funny in Stuck On You and The Informant. Ben, on the other hand, well, it's like he doesn't even try. I liked him in Gone Girl because he was supposed to be kind of a scummy guy.

• Love 1

I don't know if this is really unpopular or not, but I'm a huge fan of Sam Peckinpah's movies and still can't deal with the original The Getaway because  Ali MacGraw is such a bad actress. She's somewhere between robotic and half-asleep, even when the characters are in the middle of a huge gun battle, and the whole thing is just bad. I don't know what Peckinpah was thinking.

• Love 1

I think Matt Damon is incredibly versatile, watch any film where he does the unexpected, he's very funny in Stuck On You and The Informant. Ben, on the other hand, well, it's like he doesn't even try. I liked him in Gone Girl because he was supposed to be kind of a scummy guy.

I also thought Matt Damon had a couple of hilarious lines in True Grit in what was otherwise a serious movie.  

• Love 2

I think I've only ever liked Matt Damon in the first Bourne movie. And the only thing I ever think of any Ben Affleck performance is "that was ok."

Yeah, I've seen several films with Damon, and he's fine in them. Much the way I feel about Affleck.  I don't think either of them are bad actors, but I also think they're both fine.  That's it.  I've never seen Damon in anything that made me think, "Wow, this guy is talented."  I distinctly remember watching The Talented Mr. Ripley after all of the acclaim, and wondering, "That's it? Will Hunting as a sociopath? Alright, then."  Jude Law stole that film right from under him, but that was during his "pretty boy" years, so I guess he wasn't taken seriously.  Plus, I've made it no secret that Damon has bugged me on a visceral level for years.  He's not the personal life trainwreck that Affleck is, but at least with Affleck, I suspect what you see is what you get.          

• Love 3

I said this in the TV unpopular opinions thread, but it bears repeating because she's a movie actress too: I think Melissa McCarthy is a lovely person, but I absolutely cannot stand her as an actress. More specifically, I can't stand the roles she picks: the crude, foul-mouthed fat lady who's the butt of the jokes.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 8

More specifically, I can't stand the roles she picks: the crude, foul-mouthed fat lady who's the butt of the jokes.

She didn't have the greatest role in St. Vincent, but, imo, it gives you a good insight as to what kind of potential she has as an actress.  I hope it inspired her to take more meaty/dramatic roles, if she's ever offered them.

I loved Matt Damon in Ocean's 11, too.  I mean, it wasn't the greatest movie for any real acting--just a bunch of great actors having fun--but I thought he was really good in it (they all were--except Julia Roberts. She was good, but still seemed to be miscast).

• Love 1

I think Kate Hudson's performance in Almost Famous is by far one of the most overrated performances ever, because I find the character of Penny Lane completely uninteresting and superfluous. I pictured the movie without her... and nothing in the plot changes. She has nothing to do with the story, the story is about William and, to a lesser extent, Russell. I am convinced that Hudson got so many accolades because she was young, thin, hot, blonde, and Goldie Hawn's daughter. 

• Love 3

I am looking forward to Channing Tatum as Gambit.

Seriously? I'm already hating on it. They've never done my X-Men justice and I've never liked Channing Tatum in a role. I've enjoyed him in the Jumpstreet movies but never cared for him as an actor.

Plus I dont think he got the part because he fit as Gambit he got it because he's a recognizable actor.

• Love 2

What I hated most about "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was Audrey Hepburn's performance.  I hated her character because I thought she was vapid and stupid and just generally not very nice.

Seriously? I'm already hating on it. They've never done my X-Men justice and I've never liked Channing Tatum in a role. I've enjoyed him in the Jumpstreet movies but never cared for him as an actor.

Plus I dont think he got the part because he fit as Gambit he got it because he's a recognizable actor.

I fully expect to be alone on the island. And that's okay. I've been reading some of the suggestions for alternatives, and just.....Jared Padalecki? Alexander Skarsgard? Gaspard Ulliel? GTFO with that.

Yeah, I don't have any problem with Tatum being cast as Gambit.  He may turn out to be awful, but it's not one of those times where I'm baffled by the casting.  Then again, I thought Taylor Kitsch was a poor choice (and mediocre in general), and plenty of folks liked his Gambit.  In truth, Josh Holloway is the only other name I've read about that seemed plausible. Of course, I'm not that invested in Gambit as a character to have strong feelings either way.   

I'm watching the end of Dirty Dancing and Patrick Swayze's dancing, while technically good, always makes me laugh. It's so...dramatic...and shoulder-intensive

Hee! As I've gotten older and rewatched the film, Swayze's dancing has become less impressive.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1

IA about Breakfast at Tiffany's.  I can see how some of the imagery is iconic (like her standing at the window holding the coffee) but I think it's Hepburn's weakest film by far.  Mean protagonists, Mickey Rooney doing yellowface, and I didn't find the story to be interesting.  I'll take Roman Holiday or Sabrina any day.

• Love 3

IA about Breakfast at Tiffany's.  I can see how some of the imagery is iconic (like her standing at the window holding the coffee) but I think it's Hepburn's weakest film by far.  Mean protagonists, Mickey Rooney doing yellowface, and I didn't find the story to be interesting.  I'll take Roman Holiday or Sabrina any day.

Yay! My people! God, Breakfast at Tiffany's is so overrated it makes my eyes cross. It's slow, boring, dated (not even in a fun way), George Peppard is a bore, Patricia Neal is wasted, and Mickey Rooney... ugh.

I don't even care if the protagonists are jerks. I like Trouble in Paradise, and the protagonists in that one are borderline sociopaths, but at least they're fun to watch!

I love Audrey, just not in this. Sabrina, that's my essential Audrey flick.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

I've heard that Audrey Hepburn always wore Givenchy in her films and I have been unable to respect her as an actress ever since.  I am not a costume designer but even just having watched DVD extras on costuming I realize what an important part of creating a character and setting a scene it is and I feel like Hepburn was never really acting and/or always playing the same person if she wouldn't change her wardrobe.

That might be an overstatement, maybe she did wear others but is just so closely associated with Givenchy.  But still.  Also, I've only seen her in Roman Holiday, which I enjoyed, and Breakfast at Tiffany, which I will never understand the appeal.

Edited by dusang

George Peppard is a bore, Patricia Neal is wasted

Oh, god. So, you know, Holly, heart of gold and everything but sort of a whore, really? Amirite? Except if you look at it the right way maybe Paul taking money for having sex means he's sort of a - no, men aren't that, just not really being fair to the lady paying his bills, and...

The truly weird thing is that Truman Capote based Holly on three women he knew, and they were flattered by it, so I guess it was a pretty accurate picture of his social circle.

Edited by Julia

I've heard that Audrey Hepburn always wore Givenchy in her films and I have been unable to respect her as an actress ever since.  I am not a costume designer but even just having watched DVD extras on costuming I realize what an important part of creating a character and setting a scene it is and I feel like Hepburn was never really acting and/or always playing the same person if she wouldn't change her wardrobe.

That might be an overstatement, maybe she did wear others but is just so closely associated with Givenchy.  But still.  Also, I've only seen her in Roman Holiday, which I enjoyed, and Breakfast at Tiffany, which I will never understand the appeal.

Hepburn and Givenchy met when Billy Wilder sent her to him for Sabrina. They became best friends as well as collaborators. She did wear other designers notably in Funny Face and My Fair Lady. I don't think she refused to wear anything else, but it became part of her and Givenchy's brand. Hollywood liked the glamorous European style and cast her often so she could wear that style in films such as Charade and Breakfast at Tiffany's. The silhouette and style that they developed together is part of what makes Hepburn iconic to this day. 

If people want to see Hepburn really act and not in Givenchy, try A Nun's Story.

• Love 2

My son has been home sick the past couple days, so he's been marathoning the Harry Potter series. So, here's my HP movie UO's. 

1. I do not think Prisoner of Azkaban is the best movie. Daniel Radcliffe borders on embarrassing in that one. I think he was learning how to "act". Although it is an improvement on the first two and I like the shift from children's movie to a more young adult movie franchise.
2. I like Half-Blood Prince, despite the bungling of the half-blood prince storyline. Tom Felton does a good job with showing Draco's conflicted feelings and Harry on liquid luck is funny.

3. Hagrid always grated on me.

4. I think Michael Gambon is a better Dumbledore even though the Goblet of Fire yelling is unintentionally funny.
5. Rupert Grint is underrated.

• Love 3

I've been keeping quiet about this UO for decades, mainly because the folks I used to hang around with would have strangled me for saying it out loud, but here goes: Monty Python's the Meaning of Life is boring, like they took enough material to fill half an episode of the TV series and stretched it out to a feature length film. Yes, there's some funny and surreal stuff in the movie, but there's an awful lot of tedious blah-blah-blah too, and many of the jokes are delivered in such a heavy handed manner that Beating a Dead Horse would be a good alternate title.

• Love 7

I tried to be positive about him, after hearing he was cast. I sought out his movies and watched them, hoping to see some talent, charm and wit. There was none to be found. He's a block of wood with a face painted on it.

Gambit is my favourite X-Man, and borders on being my favourite comic book character. But this casting means that the movie I've been waiting for ever since the first X-Men is something I'm so conflicted about. I just don't think it will be any good, if those in charge can make such glaringly bad decisions.

• Love 1

I'll see your Meaning of Life and raise you Monty Python. When it was brilliant, it was really brilliant. It wasn't always.

I love Monty Python, but agree that not every skit was great.  And while I think that both Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Life of Brian were pretty uniformly brilliant, Meaning of Life was not.  The best thing about Meaning of Life wasn't even part of the film proper, it was the pre-film featurette The Crimson Permanent Assurance.

• Love 2

I've been keeping quiet about this UO for decades, mainly because the folks I used to hang around with would have strangled me for saying it out loud, but here goes: Monty Python's the Meaning of Life is boring, like they took enough material to fill half an episode of the TV series and stretched it out to a feature length film. Yes, there's some funny and surreal stuff in the movie, but there's an awful lot of tedious blah-blah-blah too, and many of the jokes are delivered in such a heavy handed manner that Beating a Dead Horse would be a good alternate title.

I think most Python fans would rank that movie last in the canon.

I think most Python fans would rank that movie last in the canon.

I read once that John Cleese +was less than pleased with how it turned out.

The best thing about Meaning of Life wasn't even part of the film proper, it was the pre-film featurette The Crimson Permanent Assurance.

That was one of the parts that seemed to me like 4 minutes worth of skit stretched out to 17 minutes.

Apparently I'm in the minority that thinks Emily Van Camp was great as Sharon Carter in Captain America: Civil War and that the romance with Steve wasn't forced, rushed, or creepy. Wish they used her a bit more though.

• Love 7
On April 19, 2016 at 6:11 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I think Kate Hudson's performance in Almost Famous is by far one of the most overrated performances ever, because I find the character of Penny Lane completely uninteresting and superfluous. I pictured the movie without her... and nothing in the plot changes. She has nothing to do with the story, the story is about William and, to a lesser extent, Russell. I am convinced that Hudson got so many accolades because she was young, thin, hot, blonde, and Goldie Hawn's daughter. 

Thank. You. I've always been bewildered why Kate Hudso performance was given the acclaim when the movie came out, for the exact reasons you mentioned. Why was she special amonsgst all the other "Band Aids", that we in the audience would be heartbroken for her. She was so… ehhh. 

While we're opionating on things that are not popular… I think Cameron Crowe's work in general doesn't hold up. He assumes so much good will from the audience that we will adore his characters immediately, never having to earn our appreciation. What Crowe thinks is precious sometimes comes off as obnoxious. I think out of all his movies, I only like the Bill Pullman character as the plastic surgeon doctor in Singles. 

• Love 1

I liked The English Patient and thought it deserved Best Picture when it won.  I wouldn't have been unhappy had Fargo won instead, because I liked it too, but I don't feel there were some egregious error made.

• Love 2
On 4/25/2016 at 3:39 PM, proserpina65 said:

Just saw The Incredibles for the first time this weekend.  It was just alright.

Could it be that for years, you've been hearing how wonderful it is? So your mind had unrealistic expectations?

1 hour ago, topanga said:

Could it be that for years, you've been hearing how wonderful it is? So your mind had unrealistic expectations?

A friend has been telling how funny it was since it first came out, so probably that does have something to do with it.  Interesting note: she made a comment to me a few days later that it wasn't as funny as she remembered (without my having said anything at all).  Maybe it's the kind of movie where, if you don't know much about it, it strikes you one way, and if you do, your reaction is different.  I mean, it wasn't bad, and some parts were really funny, but it wasn't all that.

• Love 1