Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Getting ready for y'all? One baby Lauren. Getting ready for you.

The text says "Getting real y'all", meaning the situation (of having a baby) is happening and her audience is the y'all she's taking to. 

I misread it the first time, too.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
19 minutes ago, McManda said:

The text says "Getting real y'all", meaning the situation (of having a baby) is happening and her audience is the y'all she's taking to. 

I misread it the first time, too.

I probably read 3 or 4 times. The wrong way each time. lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Is he trying to figure out where to run away to? 

I am currently binge watching the first three seasons of Arrested Development. I can't help bit see Josiah as Tobias. 

But then does that make Lauren Lindsay?

And will the SiRen fetus end up being Maeby?

• LOL 2

How fucking selfish and ego-driven do you have to be to land a helicopter in a neighborhood?!?! 

I used to drive by a business that would occasionally have a helicopter outside. It was at least surrounded by orange safety cones that I assume were laid out prior to landing.

Every time I hear the word hubris I think of the Duggars.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

11 facts that don't really tell you much that you didn't already know about Lauren.

Wow 😮 She looks so much like her mum.

She grew up on a farm, didn’t expect that, and she’s got a degree in nursing? Why didn’t she become a nurse then? 

38 minutes ago, Puffin said:

Wow 😮 She looks so much like her mum.

She grew up on a farm, didn’t expect that, and she’s got a degree in nursing? Why didn’t she become a nurse then? 

The fact that she had an A.D.N by age 18 is impressive.  Nursing school is not easy, and it requires a lot of studying and dedication.  Just getting through the prerequisites takes intelligence.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

She didn't specify what kind of degree she earned. She might have stretched an LPN into two years, fulfilling prerequisites? All I remember is that she said she was done with school forever.

I think she stated in the IG post that she has an Associate Degree in Nursing.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

She didn't specify what kind of degree she earned. She might have stretched an LPN into two years, fulfilling prerequisites? All I remember is that she said she was done with school forever.

And, we've never seen or heard any evidence that she ever intended to use her education to get a job.  We've never heard that Lauren took the nursing boards or got a license to practice let alone ever worked as a nurse.

I think she used schooling (was it online or on a real campus?) as a placeholder until she got old enough to marry.  At least, she and her parents felt 18 was a good age for marriage and kids.  If Lauren hadn't had a fish on the line ready to be reeled in when she finished her program, perhaps, like old maid Abby, she would've gotten the credentials and found a job.  However, I don't think she ever intended to actually work as a nurse.

It would be hard to get an RN in 2 years unless she was really working at it hard, full time classes and clinicals, straight through.  It is certainly very possible, lots of students do it, but Lauren doesn't strike me as the type. Usually when you're talking about an Associate's in Nursing, that is what you're talking about but I just don't see Lauren as ambitious. I think it is more likely that she received an LPN and it took two years because she got an associate's along with it.  Just like many RN get a bachelor's simultaneously and it takes 4 years.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 19

We had this discussion a while back.  I thought she had a "pre-nursing" associates degree which is very different from an ADN.  I'll try to go back and see what was discussed previously.  An ADN is possible in 2 years, but highly unlikely as a 16-17 year old because there are prerequisites that would have required community college level work for a year or two prior to enrollment.

• Love 11
On 8/30/2018 at 1:10 PM, ginger90 said:

This is from the Georgia Military College page:

Pre-Nursing

About This Program:

The purpose of the pre-nursing program is to provide students a liberal arts based pre-nursing program of study through the foundational coursework credits and many of the pre-requisites needed for admission to a nursing program. The Pre-Nursing Program provides a holistic approach to the education of GMC students by emphasizing character education and critical thinking.

Program Benefits:

Upon completion of the degree, students are well prepared for admission to Registered Nursing (R.N.) programs throughout the state of Georgia and adjacent states. This program prepares students for completion of two-year Associate of Science in Nursing (A.S.N.) programs, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) programs at four-year institutions, and R.N. bridge programs at participating institutions.

This is what we discovered the last time she talked about her degree.  There can't be any miscommunication as Georgia Military College only offers pre-nursing, not any degree which would prepare a student for the NCLEX and thus the ability to obtain a RN job.

• Useful 8
  • Love 12
22 minutes ago, Bewitched said:

This is what we discovered the last time she talked about her degree.  There can't be any miscommunication as Georgia Military College only offers pre-nursing, not any degree which would prepare a student for the NCLEX and thus the ability to obtain a RN job.

Agreed. She did prereqs, never actually attend nurisng school. Michel Bates is going to be a nursing major who will do the same her first year of school.

• Love 5

Admission to a nursing program is competitive at the community college where I work. There are a lot of prospective students and not many spaces. Students need two years of liberal arts courses, good grades, and recommendations to be considered for a program. I would probably hesitate to recommend a student whose literacy is this challenged, but fortunately the students who have asked me for recommendations are top students. 

• Love 8

I guess she doesn't know that Hispanic means spanish speaking. She should have said she's a quarter Salvadoran.

Also, she didn't get an Associate degree in nursing pretty sure it was just nursing prerequisites (Anatomy/physiology, biology, chemistryx etc). Its still pretty impressive for a fundie.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Also, she didn't get an Associate degree in nursing pretty sure it was just nursing prerequisites (Anatomy/physiology, biology, chemistryx etc). Its still pretty impressive for a fundie.

Yeah my assumption is she'd have those out of the way, as well as more, well, general gen ed classes. 

I think she probably wants people to think she has more of a professional nursing background than she actually does, but I will give her kudos for being better-educated than all of Josiah's family and most of the other in-laws. It's a shame she will probably never do anything with it. 

• Love 12

Josiah is the one who should have the nursing degree.  He's going to need every care taker skill out there to get Lauren through childbirth. 

She also doesn't seem the type who could handle bodily fluids (like taking care of a bed pan) without screeching "Ewww" like a 10 year old.   

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

If it works, here’s the link to the campus tour:

Dang, that was depressing.  I’m extremely passionate about learning and I know that school isn’t for everyone (or the only way to learn), but Lauren didn’t even hide her annoyance about wasting her time in school.  There was much so “Yeah, our kids could go to college IF....”

Jinger tried to sound more open minded to match what Jeremy might think but they all seem pretty set on only going to college if there’s something you really want to get expertise in. That’s okay, but sometimes you start a major and decide that it’s not for you.  A lot of college is figuring out what you want to do as you go because it’s hard to make that decision at 17/18 years old. I’m glad Lauren’s dad at least gave the girls the option of trying school, even if it was just a placeholder until marriage. I hope her sister keeps her ambition. 

• Love 19
10 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And what’s stopping her from continuing to study Spanish in the hopes of becoming fluent? She doesn’t work.

I think you gave us the answer -- "She doesn't work." !

And that includes studying anything. When she said decidedly that she was absolutely done with school at age 18, I guess that was our clue. .... Didn't make any sense to me -- why would you start Spanish and take a pre-nursing curriculum and such if you really had zero interest in ever looking at them again or making use of them in any way after you were 18 and a half?

But I guess it was just that her family said," Lauren, you have to do something till you marry," and these were the placeholders? 

I also wonder, if you're this uninterested in the work of learning stuff, how interested are you going to be in the work of running a household with a bunch of kids in it? I do know people who love doing the latter and hate doing the former. But I also know people who consider both things drudgery, once they start doing them, and I wonder whether Lauren will be that sort. I hope not, but I sort of picture her only really enjoying being the center of attention somewhere. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Nice try Joy, but none of your brothers has a career as a firefighter, pilot or law enforcement. None of your brothers even appear to have a full-time job.

Joy always does give it the old non-college try. 

I remember some speeches in which she explained how brilliantly and completely JB's method of "watch a plumber for 30 minutes" has prepared his children to undertake virtually any job on the planet with more success than anyone else anywhere. 

For a person who is supposedly one of the very few who's ever raised questions about the family ideologies, she's been very effectively brainwashed. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I wonder, given Lauren's apparent drama-queen-ness, if Josiah will be doing a lot of the non-glamorous child care--changing diapers, etc.  I just don't think Lauren's view of herself as a mother includes that kind of scut-work, and I'm not sure there's a spare auntie-mom available.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, not you again said:

YMMV but - I'm a Georgia native, and still live here, and I've never heard y'all used as singular by anyone.  It is, literally, a contraction of "you all" which implies plurality in the words themselves.  I happily and proudly use y'all in conversation but would never walk up to a person alone and say "What are ya'll doing?";  it would be "What are you doing?"  "All y'all" to me is simply to emphasize each person in a group - as in, "All y'all come back here and pick up this trash you dropped - we don't litter!"

This whole plural/singular "y'all" discussion is actually moot in this context because what Lauren actually said was "getting real, y'all," not "getting ready for y'all."

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Lunera said:

I guess she doesn't know that Hispanic means spanish speaking. She should have said she's a quarter Salvadoran.

I didn't realize it. I consider myself part Hispanic as my mother is Dominican. I was born in the US but I do speak Spanish. I'm confused. 

• Love 9