Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, doodlebug said:

As noted above, she would not only have to take board exams; she would also need to spend at least a couple of years taking actual nursing courses and clinicals.  Details, details

Additionally, someone on Reddit pointed out that there is no way any school would allow a minor in clinicals. 

She is either so uneducated that she is ignorant to the actual requirements to become a nurse, or she is trying to fool everyone. LOL. Good luck Lauren. Does she realize in the real world she isn't impressive ? It's actually sad.  She better stick to fundie circles. 

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 24
5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I didn't realize it. I consider myself part Hispanic as my mother is Dominican. I was born in the US but I do speak Spanish. I'm confused. 

Moi aussi.   

Actually I know only a little Spanish and I thought I was part Hispanic because my father was Spanish-Portuguese.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

If nursing is not her 'passion', why spend 2 years doing prerequisites for it?  Did she have no passion whatsoever?  She could've studied dozens of other subjects instead of pre-nursing and maybe she could've found her passion someplace else.  As I recall, she went to campus accompanied by her sister.  Was this like Jana being forced to 'study' midwifery because Jill wasn't allowed outside of the compound on her own?  Remember Jana clearly disliked the stuff she was compelled to do while Jill got to hang out with the fake midwives and pretend to become a competent practitioner.  Maybe Lauren's sister wants to be a nurse and Lauren ended up dragged to class with her.  If so, I sure hope her sister is finishing/has finished and she actually practices.  However, since Lauren is the eldest in her family, she probably picked pre-nursing because she could fit all the classes in before lunch or something.

As noted above, she would not only have to take board exams; she would also need to spend at least a couple of years taking actual nursing courses and clinicals.  Details, details

Actually, in the college tour video I forced myself to watch, Lauren's younger sister said she wants to finish her Bachelor's degree and go on to complete a Master's degree in speech pathology. I think the ambition missed Lauren and her sister got it all.

And I second the hope that someone feeds her a meal full of gluten (she's not celiac, right, just a special snowflake?).

• Love 10
20 hours ago, not you again said:

I know a bit about GMC because I live 40 minutes or so from Milledgeville and my son attended a few quarters there.  Yes, quarters.  They still use the quarter system.  GMC is a private junior college that also has a private elementary and secondary program all there together on campus.  It's a joke from start to finish.  Almost nothing will transfer to a University-system school.  Her having attained a degree from there doesn't make her educated in any sense.

Thank you for posting this info & it explains a lot.  I think Lauren & Lily (?name) said they were 17 & 15 when they started the high school/college dual plan.   I was wondering how this worked for them esp when Lily was only 15 when she started.  That seems awful young & in my area, the dual plan is for high school seniors & it's usually for just a class or two of college electives.  

9 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Actually, in the college tour video I forced myself to watch, Lauren's younger sister said she wants to finish her Bachelor's degree and go on to complete a Master's degree in speech pathology. I think the ambition missed Lauren and her sister got it all.

This part of the video stuck out for me. I doubt Lily will ever become a speech pathologist with the education she has received not to mention what she still has to do. On the video, she really sounded like she had her act together & future planned out in a non-fundie sort of way. How sad --I think the only Masters she will get is in the art of Marrying & Having Babies. I hope I'm wrong.

When I was in a nursing home for rehab following surgery last year,  my roommate had had a stroke & was being seen by a speech therapist who came to our room. The therapist & I got talking one day & she told me she was a licensed speech pathologist. She explained how much schooling & training she needed to become one which was extensive.  Lily has a long way to go but I wish her the best. She does seem like the ambitious sister.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 18
11 hours ago, jcbrown said:

And I second the hope that someone feeds her a meal full of gluten (she's not celiac, right, just a special snowflake?).

Just because you are not celiac does not mean you can eat wheat. As I have gotten older I have developed IBS-D. I cannot digest flour well as well as a lot of vegetables.

• Useful 5
  • Love 8

Lauren is determined to be a martyr in all areas of her life. Why would you even bother doing nursing pre-reqs if you had no interest in the field? Given the science-heavy courseload, that would be a pretty miserable two years. If you're just going to college as a placeholder anyways, maybe enroll in a program you'll actually enjoy? She's an odd duck. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Thank you for posting this info & it explains a lot.  I think Lauren & Lily (?name) said they were 17 & 15 when they started the high school/college dual plan.   I was wondering how this worked for them esp when Lily was only 15 when she started.  That seems awful young & in my area, the dual plan is for high school seniors & it's usually for just a class or two of college electives.  

This part of the video stuck out for me. I doubt Lily will ever become a speech pathologist with the education she has received not to mention what she still has to do. On the video, she really sounded like she had her act together & future planned out in a non-fundie sort of way. How sad --I think the only Masters she will get is in the art of Marrying & Having Babies. I hope I'm wrong.

When I was in a nursing home for rehab following surgery last year,  my roommate had had a stroke & was being seen by a speech therapist who came to our room. The therapist & I got talking one day & she told me she was a licensed speech pathologist. She explained how much schooling & training she needed to become one which was extensive.  Lily has a long way to go but I wish her the best. She does seem like the ambitious sister.

Lily may get the opportunity. How many fundie boys are around her age and have the ability to independently financially support a wife? It seems like not many. There is no doubt that Lauren's family was sniffing around the Duggars so that Lauren could land a Duggar boy (any boy, didn't matter which one). The Swansons did slightly better than JRod in social climbing. 

The rest might be like the Seewald daughters and work. No meal tickets for them! You get to work for your food!

• Love 6
15 hours ago, doodlebug said:

If nursing is not her 'passion', why spend 2 years doing prerequisites for it?  Did she have no passion whatsoever? 

I expect this is it. Something tells me her only real passion is Lauren. And nobody offers courses in that. 

14 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Additionally, someone on Reddit pointed out that there is no way any school would allow a minor to clinicals. 

She is either so uneducated that she is ignorant to the actual requirements to become a nurse, or she is trying to fool everyone. LOL. Good luck Lauren. Does she realize in the real world she isn't impressive ? It's actually sad.  She better stick to fundie circles. 

Well, I can't really blame her for being visible to non-fundies. If it weren't for TLC, nobody but the nuttiest of fundies would ever have heard of these people. 

Otherwise, I agree completely. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Lauren is determined to be a martyr in all areas of her life. Why would you even bother doing nursing pre-reqs if you had no interest in the field? Given the science-heavy courseload, that would be a pretty miserable two years. If you're just going to college as a placeholder anyways, maybe enroll in a program you'll actually enjoy? She's an odd duck. 

Really. She seems to enjoy music and have a pretty singing voice. Surely she could load up on some classes that would enable her to teach music, or something. That has to be an acceptable fundie girl ambition, no?

• Love 8

I just can't watch the video again, but I believe she said she chose nursing because she "likes helping people". She was 16 when she made the choice to pursue nursing. It's hard enough to pick a life career at 18, nevermind 16. Her current passion appears to be home decorating.

Very typical for a 16 year old to change their minds of 'what they want to be when they grow up'. Even 20 year olds change their college major prior to their junior year - because they're still maturing.

And now Lauren is 19, married, pregnant for the second time, with an Associate's in Pre-reqs. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 12

That seems awful young & in my area, the dual plan is for high school seniors & it's usually for just a class or two of college electives.  

High school kids here can take college classes and then graduate with their high school diploma and AA at the same time.  We went to our friends' daughter's graduation and about five or six kids out of about 200 did just that (our friends' daughter being one of them).  It's an impressive feat but I never would have had the discipline to do it myself.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Additionally, someone on Reddit pointed out that there is no way any school would allow a minor in clinicals. 

She may just be delusional.  If that Bates (Nathan?) can think he is a dentist for whatever reason or at least he has enough skills to have his fingers in someone's mouth I am sure she is ready to scrub in and assist in surgery.  Re the Bates kid, I am an ex hairdresser and I cannot even legally cut someone's hair without a license so how on earth did he get away with that???  It seriously disturbs me.  Like some official needs to look into that.  Surely that isn't the only person he did dental work on.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

To be fair to Lauren lots of kids want to be a veternarian, a doctor, a nurse, etc. and then find out how much work it is and decide it's not for them. Homeschooling may also make school seem eaiser than it is (depending on the parents, curriculum, etc.). It's also possible Lauren really had trouble keeping up with school even if she was earning good grades.

And then in her world, it's not important women have a career or education or a way to earn money. I still get the sense her parents are happy she chose to get married and not pursue more education.

It does sound she's misleading us about being a nurse. Although it wouldn't surprise me if fundies were ignorant enough to confuse pre-requisites with actual nursting courses. 

I hope all of her sisters take a different path. 

• Love 8

Someone above posted the specs for Lauren's pre-nursing degree. Holders of that AA are NOT qualified to take the nursing exam. It's a feeder program; you have to transfer to another school.to finish.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Tigregirl said:

In my state, you can get an Associate Degree in nursing, and are then qualified to take the RN exam.  I don’t know about Lauren’s school but there are Associate Degrees in nursing that are not just the pre-reqs.

I remember at the university I went to in the 70s, there was an option of either an Associates Degree or Bachelors Degree to become a Registered Nurse.  Some time in the 80s, they got rid of the Associates program and you had to have a Bachelors.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Tigregirl said:

In my state, you can get an Associate Degree in nursing, and are then qualified to take the RN exam.  I don’t know about Lauren’s school but there are Associate Degrees in nursing that are not just the pre-reqs.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but it's my impression that the school she attended may be overwhelmingly populated by super-Christian homeschooled kids. Sort of like that school one of Nurie's friends goes to that we heard about some months ago.

If that's the case, many if not most of their students would come in way behind the curve on stuff like high-school-level science and math. Those are the areas where the Christian homeschoolers really fall down. Their pre-nursing stuff probably has all it can do to get the kids up to speed there and couldn't possibly include the additional courses the kids would need to actually study, you know, nursing to qualify as RNs. ..... 

Sorta like Moody Aviation insisting that all the remedial math courses be taken on their campus. In most cases, an anti-science mother with just a high-school diploma isn't going to be up to teaching math and science past about the fourth- or fifth-grade level (often to eight or 10 kids!), no matter how you slice it.

Most of the "teaching" is probably putting them at a computer with a mediocre anti-science-organization-produced computerized course -- and noone to turn to with questions, because mom couldn't explain the stuff if her life depended on it. So the only thing the kids learn is how to fool their particular computer course into ultimately giving them a "pass" on every test that comes along. No math or science at all. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 5
  • Love 5
On 9/13/2019 at 10:25 AM, Picture It. Sicily said:

She would have been a terrible nurse. 

I imagine Lauren:

patient: nurse I’m in pain can I get some help?

lauren: Pish posh lady I’m in pain! I lost a heavy period baby! Am pregnant every 2 years for Jesus! And i can’t eat anything like ever. I’m in pain! Give me some pills. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 9/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, BitterApple said:

Lauren is determined to be a martyr in all areas of her life.

Oh Yes - I am not so breathlessly anticipating her very special episode where she breathlessly and oh so seriously describes in whispers, pauses and a pathos of self-suffering her every negative labor moment from the first wince and twinge through cramps, contractions and active labor.   I expect she's spending her downtime actively studying a thesaurus to find all the sympathy evoking language she can to describe what will amount a normal labor and delivery before the post-birth interviews.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Considering Jill's breech birth with Izzy, plus whatever the hell went wrong with Sam, Jessa's hemorrhage and Anna birth-on-the-toilet, Lauren's got a lot of competition. She'd better come up with something spectacular.

Breech birth, on the toilet with a trip to the ED for a blood transfusion might do it.

• LOL 11
26 minutes ago, scriggle said:

Don't forget the 120 hour labor. 😀

Yes and one week prior she will experience Braxton Hicks combined with a gluten reaction after Josiah mistakenly feeds her wheat, which will add another 24 hours of "labor". She'll top them out at 144 hours.

• LOL 15
On 9/15/2019 at 4:10 PM, galaxychaser said:

Pennywise is better be attached to Asa the balloon...

I’m a few days late reading this, but I burst out with the loudest laughter upon first reading it that I nearly hyperventilated. That was 30 minutes ago and I am still giggling. That mental image is fucking AMAZING! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Enya Face said:

I’m a few days late reading this, but I burst out with the loudest laughter upon first reading it that I nearly hyperventilated. That was 30 minutes ago and I am still giggling. That mental image is fucking AMAZING! 

Applause thank you I will be here all week 🤣.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

Lauren had her baby shower. There were two cakes, one for the new baby and one for "big brother Asa". Its on their instagram. I read about it and had to check it out.  I have been rendered speechless. 

Really?  Sounds like their little girl will never have her own birthday without Asa drama.  They don't even know the actual "gender" of the miscarriage, do they?

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Really?  Sounds like their little girl will never have her own birthday without Asa drama.  They don't even know the actual "gender" of the miscarriage, do they?

I don't think they do for sure from what I recently read. 

It was a tiny cake with blue frosting (it was one of those half unfinished cakes or whatever they call them). It had a sparkly lettering sign saying "big brother Asa"

• Love 1
1 minute ago, yogi2014L said:

Having a cake for a miscarriage ( and a very early miscarriage at that) is so completely Fucked up! Is Lauren mentally ill? That is the only explanation I can think of for doing something like this. 

I went through nearly the exact situation- I had a miscarriage then got pregnant pretty quickly after with my daughter...I just cannot wrap my head around this..truly.

Question- how on earth does Joy tolerate being around her? It has to be SO HARD to have to always acknowledge Lauren's heavy period when Joy had a devastating loss of her own. Additionally, WHY is Lauren's family allowing this ASA insanity to continue? Many women in Lauren's direct circles have had miscarriages ( Anna, Michelle, Joy(stillbith)) and I am sure many others as early miscarriage is super common. 

How are they acting around her? Has nobody said hey this is kind of WEIRD?? I am worried Lauren's mental health will decline even more once her new baby gets here, postpartum does a lot of weird stuff to your emotions and she already seems unstable.

That poor baby.... I can't even begin to imagine how she is going to hear about her great big brother all her life. He (if he even was he) was not a big brother. Nothing wrong with addressing a loss but for the love of God...... and then poor Joy. I just couldn't. 

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

Having a cake for a miscarriage ( and a very early miscarriage at that) is so completely fucked up! Is Lauren mentally ill? That is the only explanation I can think of for doing something like this. 

I went through nearly the exact situation- I had a miscarriage then got pregnant pretty quickly after with my daughter...I just cannot wrap my head around this..truly.

Question- how on earth does Joy tolerate being around her? It has to be so hard to have to always acknowledge Lauren's heavy period when Joy had a devastating loss of her own. Additionally, why is Lauren's family allowing this Asa insanity to continue? Many women in Lauren's direct circles have had miscarriages ( Anna, Michelle, Joy(stillbith)) and I am sure many others as early miscarriage is super common. 

How are they acting around her? Has nobody said hey this is kind of weird?? I am worried Lauren's mental health will decline even more once her new baby gets here, postpartum does a lot of weird stuff to your emotions and she already seems unstable.

I agree 100%!  I too wonder if Lauren is mentally ill.  She should not have gotten pregnant again so quickly if she was still so deeply in mourning for her early miscarriage.  I don't think she'd be having this particular precious girl if that pregnancy had gone to term.  

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 15
9 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I agree 100%!  I too wonder if Lauren is mentally ill.  She should not have gotten pregnant again so quickly if she was still mourning her early miscarriage.  I don't think she'd be having this particular precious girl if that pregnancy had gone to term.  

Sadly, she isn't allowed time to mourn but has to get right back on that baby train, because God forbid she tries to prevent a pregnancy. And I'm sure she wouldn't have it any other way. I think she is suffering from depression but of course that doesn't exist when you have Jesus.

Imagine she grows up with that knowledge. Will she feel they wanted Asa more?  

Edited by libgirl2