Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E04: Got To Put Your Sole Into It!

Geenee
  • Start Topic

Part 1:

I was thinking that there would be no way that one of the giant NBA players wouldn't struggle with the Roadblock, and well... I was right. That said, I wouldn't have done much better. I'd likely double paddle it like Joey. Props to Evan for pushing on with the chipped tooth.

What was the name of the game in the Head to Head?

I'm sad to lose Team Slam Dunk, but it was their time. Also, unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember Shawn doing any Roadblocks. 

Part 2:

Another challenging Roadblock. Plus, it was pretty cool.

Impressive comeback for Team Ocean Rescue.  Of course, it was pretty much broadcasted at the beginning with all of the relationship talk. Now that the proposal happened, maybe the show can stop discussing it.

Sad to see Joey and Tim go.

Next week: Return of the Prague phones!!

Edited by InDueTime

Still hate the head-to-head, although at least the last team to arrive at it was also the team eliminated, rendering the head-to-head moot for elimination purposes.  I know they weren't going to go all the way, but I was sad to see Slam Dunk go.

However, not at all sad to see Chomp go.  Navigation really did them in in the end.

I did love seeing all the self-driving and self-navigation.  But how can you not get a car in reverse? 

• Love 9

I’m not much of a fan of Brittany, and her relationship with Lucas is uncomfortably familiar, and I like Shawn and Cedric, but Shawn was such a dink to her at the roadblock that I’m not sad to see them go.

I mean, what exactly was Shawn doing in that team?  I was concerned for Cedric by the time they got to plunke or whatever it was called. 

Helloooooo, Saint Tropez greeter lady!

Oh and I see your asshat tendencies hanging about, Cody.  Nice to see some things don’t change.  Do you think he knows the French flag is ALSO red white and blue?  And is older than the US flag?

I want to go to a medieval French castle RIGHT NOW.

My heart is only three quarters made of stone, so I did think the proposal was cute, even if Phil was a little annoying about it.

I’m kinda sad to lose the eaters because Tim is very cute.

• Love 1

Didn't care for the return of the head to head challenge, but at least it wasn't the type of challenge where one type of racer could get screwed (like the Yales or GoatYogas last time.

Other than that though, 2 stellar episodes. Great scenery, nice mix of physical and detail oriented tasks with lots of self navigation, close finishes, and a sweet moment between the lifeguards. 

I'm over 'Team Pun'. They seem like great, genuine guys, but I want to slap them every time! And i couldn't help but laugh at the beginning of the second episode when they said they were waiting for challenges that were suited to them, as they had proven to be pretty inept at mental, physical, and navigational challenges. I think they're on borrowed time. 

I'm definitely really enjoying this season. Hoping they've done away with the u-turn.

Edited by TheRabbi

Dumber way to go out: on a game with no real learning curve, or on a completed puzzle you didn’t go to unlock? Gotta go with the latter. Biggest question now is if anybody is gonna give Joey shit on July 4.

And Lucas proposed to Brittany. Whatever. How many proposals is this for TAR? I’m thinking three at least. Would’ve been better if he hadn’t gotten snippy with her in the first hour. But they lived, got first place, and Lucas figured that was the best time to pop the (long overdue) question. Can’t say that I blame him, though doing it on a reality show is really cheesy. On the other hand, I think TAR has the edge on the Bachelor franchise in terms of successful marriages.

Head to Head? Not working. It’s a momentum murderer.

Which firefighter is the one making dad jokes? Or is it both guys?

Hey, a TAR1 flashback! And one with the Frats winning! Was that the one where they picked up tea on a Fast Forward?

• Love 1

So much to love, so much to hate.....

Wow.  I have no clue about sailing.  That looks really hard.

Skiiiers kick it.  Racers almost blow it.  Cody figures it out.  Bummer on the tooth chip.  "I guess there's no sailing class at Yale LOL", but she figures it out.  Shawn should have gotten out there.  He's a lot younger than Cedric.

Mmmm.  Real baguettes.  (I'm lucky to have a good bakery nearby)  You have to roll them out, idiots!

This Head-to-Head bullshit has to go.  Alex and One n have quickly moved to the top of my shit list.  Skiiers got screwd out of $10K.

They say these firemen are from California, but they sound like they are from Tennessee or Kentucky.

At least this wasn't overly physical like the last one.

Part deux.

I'll call you Indiana Stupid.  Dude.

Has Evan always had that nose ring?  and I totally missed it?  Not a fan of them, but what the hell.  An informed choice, I'm sure.

What is up with this Puritan stocks bullshit? I'm not a fan of torture, even for those I think deserve it.

Then they really didn't launch the racers' trebouchet.  Oh well...

The regional scenery is awesome.  

Oh.  Then the inevitable "giving of the ring" after Brittnay's whining about how if he "won't marry me, nobody will".  Get a Pre-nup. 

This whole "relationship" is just creepy.

Bullring was awesome.  Challenge OK, but easy to figure out.

I'm happy team Violin beat out the sweaty food ingestion machines.  

• Love 1

Return of the Head-to-Head which I continue to haaate. If the Race is cancelled after this season, this will be the reason I'm not sorry. And that's after being a faithful viewer from moment 1.

There's a certain knack or knowledge to using a sail, which isn't to be absorbed with 10 seconds' explanation. I salute those who got it right away (I wouldn't have), and those who struggled have my sympathy. It was, though, fun to see some of them catch on after struggling for a while, and actually grin and enjoy sailing, and think they might like to try this again sometime. 

Team Slam Dunk were a nice team to watch, and in a sense I'm sorry to see the last of them. But it was the right time for them, having just escaped elimination last time. And if we have to have a head-to-head (but why do we?), better that the last to arrive should be the ones eliminated.

That was some remarkably creative French pronunciation there. I don't expect everyone to be perfect multi linguists, but I had  Ithought that the rudiments of French sounds were fairly well known. It was certainly a thrill to see Les Baux de Provence again, and a glimpse of Kevin and Drew.

14 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

Also, unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember Shawn doing any Roadblocks.

According to Wikipedia, he and Cedric each did 2. One that Shawn did for sure was the Icelandic letter challenge.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 2

I really appreciate the firefighters. Several of their jokes:

• Joked about being in Speedos
  • One firefighter to the other: "Come on, Gilligan!"
  • "It looks like I invested in some stock today."

The sailing looked awesome. I would have struggled but I love being in boats, so I think I would have figured it out. Cedric sure struggled, I wonder why he didn't just sit up. He did after awhile, but it took him long enough. And it was funny to watch. Cody looked cute in his baker's coat.

The greeter in St. Tropez looked very familiar.

Now if anyone's ever read Mary Stewart's Madame, Will You Talk?, I'm pretty sure Les Baux was one of the sites in that novel. It took place in the Avignon area. Building those catapults, the skier really did a good job on that one.

The bull-fighting arena in Arles was cool but those coliseum steps were killers.

[Now I'm watching the finale of Survivor season 30. All I have to say is "Shut up Will!"]

• Love 1

Evan/Henry are still my favourite team this season, but also likely my favourite team ever. I absolutely love Evan powering through when she broke her tooth, and I love that Henry was so supportive of her. Sure, it may just be a chipped tooth, but she still had to get it fixed right after the leg.

Brittany/Lucas have been tiresome, but unlike Goat Yoga Moms, their relationship feels like an actual relationship. Plus, nine years really is a long time to be with someone, to get to know their quirks and flaws, and still have more ups than downs. And honestly, I've seen way worse from teams in previous seasons. Cranky and emotional Brittany, and snappy Lucas are far more tolerable than last season's Mr Ow My Balls Shamir, and Ms I Can't Do It Brooke. Seriously, after the mess that was last season, I'll gladly take Brittany and Lucas. 

Also, their proposal was rather sweet. I know there's been other proposals on the show before, but not many with four other teams coming in and getting excited over it. Evan's reaction to the engagement was awesome and hilarious. I swear, she could have knocked Henry over with how far back she stumbled. 

Speaking of my favourite team, I did sense a little tension with them and Team Indy/Team Big Brother, from the way they talked about Team Yale at the sailing roadblock, as well as the bull detour. They seem to be surprised at how well that team is keeping up. I'm not sure whether I read into that too much because they're my favourite team who must be protected at all costs. 

Head to Head was slightly better this time around, but still not a good idea to have it at the pitstop. I get that it's supposed to be tough and all, but there's not really much reward there if you arrive first. You might as well take your time on the other tasks beforehand since it doesn't matter how quickly you arrive. 

Some really good tasks, otherwise. I'm not that disappointed for Team NBA and Team Competitive Eaters to be going. I've been bugged with Cedric/Shawn, and Tim/Joey have been completely forgettable to me. On the plus side, I finally can place Team Well Strung.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Then they really didn't launch the racers' trebouchet.  Oh well..

I was really, really glad they didn't. Those things are super dangerous and I was worried that even with the 'check' something would go wrong.

Did Joey lose weight from the earlier legs? I kept not recognizing him.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

What was the name of the game in the Head to Head?

It's called "petanque."

Oh yeah, the engagement. I did tear up for it. The congratulations of the others was nice to see. I hope they're happy together. At least they probably know the worst of each other by now. (Don't I sound optimistic??

• Love 2

Probably in the minority, but the head-to-heads haven't bothered me.  I did think tonight's was the better of the two so far....an even playing field, so to speak.  

Scenery great during both episodes.  Challenges good balance of physical and mental.  (Irony:  Conor's mistake was a simple one involving a wheel!)  The right teams went home IMO.  It must have been so hard for the partners not doing the task during the sailing and building not to call out what the errors were, etc.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Head to Head was slightly better this time around, but still not a good idea to have it at the pitstop. I get that it's supposed to be tough and all, but there's not really much reward there if you arrive first. You might as well take your time on the other tasks beforehand since it doesn't matter how quickly you arrive. 

Except that if you arrive first, you get more leeway. You can lose several times and still stay in the race. If you arrive toward the end, you better get it right first try.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

Scenery great during both episodes.  Challenges good balance of physical and mental.  (Irony:  Conor's mistake was a simple one involving a wheel!)  The right teams went home IMO.  It must have been so hard for the partners not doing the task during the sailing and building not to call out what the errors were, etc.

Oh man, I felt so bad for Conor when he saw Alex's mistake in the sailing task and couldn't say a thing and had to watch more time being lost. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Oh man, I felt so bad for Conor when he saw Alex's mistake in the sailing task and couldn't say a thing and had to watch more time being lost. 

Yeah....watching Alex come in after getting just one clue had to be tough.  Same for Henry having to not give tips to Evan when she was struggling so badly. 

• Love 2

It feels like the wins have been really well distributed so far, which I’m enjoying a lot. I’ll enjoy it the most when the skiers end up first on the final mat, though. Love.them.

Was the ring hidden in Lucas’s earbuds or something? And do we think he wasn’t declaring that on custom slips? Their relationship hits me in a funny spot but it could be the context of the race, so no matter - I wish them all the best.

Bye ballers & eaters.

• Love 1

As nice as Team Well Strung is to look at, they don't seem to be the best racers, so I was hoping Tim and Joey would beat 'em out. I felt really bad when they were eliminated.

This season has been fun, so far. Still, I don't like how each leg is basically a reset with everyone being on equal footing due to all being on the same flight or a forced bunch. I miss the old days when there were multiple flight options and they had to scramble to get the best ones. I hope we get to see some of that at some point in the season.

• Love 3

Jessica and Cody were 6th, 2nd and back to 6th, right? I still think they got game but they seem to be bad with directions I think. Once they are at the Road Block & Detours they are fine. It looked like Cody was limping in the colosseum but I couldn’t tell if it happen before or during the task. Overall, I’m not too concerned about their placement but I’m feeling more of a 4th place finish rather then Top 3. That said, I’m horrible with The Amazing Race finishes and they'll probably win. LOL!!!!!

34 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

It feels like the wins have been really well distributed so far, which I’m enjoying a lot. I’ll enjoy it the most when the skiers end up first on the final mat, though. Love.them.

Was the ring hidden in Lucas’s earbuds or something? And do we think he wasn’t declaring that on custom slips? Their relationship hits me in a funny spot but it could be the context of the race, so no matter - I wish them all the best.

Bye ballers & eaters.

Re your first point: yes! Am I right in that the first 5 legs have been won by 5 different teams? It seems like that rarely happens. Usually a few teams dominate the whole race. Although the skiers have been doing really well, perhaps in the top 3 of every leg so far? I am just really loving them so far, they seem to be good at everything.

Yes, I think the ring must have been hidden in Lucas's headphone bag or something. I loved the look of puzzlement on Brittany's face when he asked for those on the race to the pitstop. I think she said that she thought his ears must have been cold!

In some ways, that Head-to-Head (which I still don't mind) was much better than the first one. Culturally relevant -- incorporating a local game -- and strategic as well as physical, and you can learn plenty from earlier tries, which gives teams in front more of an advantage. And most of all, NOT GOOFY. On the other hand, it is a bit of a slow-paced game. Not an adrenaline-raiser.

51 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Speaking of my favourite team, I did sense a little tension with them and Team Indy/Team Big Brother, from the way they talked about Team Yale at the sailing roadblock, as well as the bull detour. They seem to be surprised at how well that team is keeping up. I'm not sure whether I read into that too much because they're my favourite team who must be protected at all costs. 

Yes I noticed that too. They seem not to like the Yalies for some reason. I hope they don't gang up against them.

Edited by Lingo
  • Love 1

I really hate the introduction of the Head to Head challenges. The Canadian version (Face-off I believe it's called) is handled so much better. Last team to lose has to wait 15 minutes I think after the last team wins to get their clue before heading to the next challenge (it's never immediately before the pit-stop) so it's not an automatic out.

• Love 6

Hate the head to head challenges.  At least during a leg of the race, you have a chance to make up for lost time because of a specific challenge.  The head to head just nullifies that.

Just not feeling Brittany.

The sailing challenge was so funny to me and my husband because both of us grew up sailing.  It's about the wind and it's direction in relationship to the sail.  Optis are small boats that's for sure but if you place your sail somewhat correctly, you're not going to flip.  I cringed when Evan got hit by the boom.  I always told my kids just before they sail, remember, watch out for the boom.  You can get seriously injured.  I am rooting for Evan and Henry.  I don't know why because I really didn't care for them in the first episode.  I also like the the two female team (gosh, I can't remember their names). 

• Love 3

There was a lot of bad sportsmanship on display during the sailing leg.

Thank you, Phil, for explaining the rules of that ball game to us.  It would have made no sense otherwise.

Did Phil really say, "Cedric, obviously you're disappointing"?

Lucas and Brittany went from last to first?  Wow.

That proposal was sweet. Lucas put pressure on all the other guys. :)

We thought it was too long. I got a bit bored, and we love AR. Team basketball sure seemed to get lost a lot, I thought Cedric was much older than 49. That engagement was nice, but for some reason, I don't care for that couple.Her whining, he then proposes, set up and whiny( sorry) 

Brit, Van Gogh is abstract? Nope! No no no! 

The head to head is brutal, I was worried for Kristi and Jen. Kristi killed that sailing challenge. Cedric sank that boat twice! Cody had trouble, but got the hang of it quickly! Poor Evan, her tooth, Henry doesn't cheer loudly, but he doesn't get upset either.Team Indy seemed unsettled or angry, and seriously dude, wheel nuts?? Cody was limping a bit in the coliseum, I didn't see him get hurt..
Kristi and Jen, Henry and Evan and Cody and Jess are my favorites.

• Love 1

Kristi and Jen rocked both roadblocks tonight, and seemed to be great at the Detours too. On both legs they came just shy of winning first. Not to belabor the point, but if they get knocked out for some stupid reason like a U-Turn or another lost cabbie, I am going to lose my shit.

• Love 9

They actually do teach sailing at Yale, it's the oldest collegiate sailing organization in the country. I would have rocked the first episode I learn to sail on an Optimist and been to Les Voiles de St. Tropez a few times. 

I also studied abroad in France in high school and would play pétanque with the grandfather and the other old guys in the village at least once a week.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, InDueTime said:

I'm sad to lose Team Slam Dunk, but it was their time. Also, unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember Shawn doing any Roadblocks.

He did two like Rinaldo mentioned.  he was the one with the endless problems with the two letter "O"s in Iceland and climbed up the rope ladder in Antwerp.

14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Hey, a TAR1 flashback! And one with the Frats winning! Was that the one where they picked up tea on a Fast Forward?

Yes it was.  And the 2 second shot of Kevin & Drew was the best part of this entire two leg episode.  The Les Baux flashback brought so many memories back.  I wanted to shut off my TV and put my DVD copy of Season 1 on to watch so so badly at that point.  This show used to be so good the first few seasons.

Which of course brings up the horror of yet another "head-to-head" competition.  Hated this one two.

Sad to see the NBA guys go.  I liked them and always have a soft spot in my heart for someone who has watched from day one.  Would have loved to have seen Cedric's face light up at the thought of going to a Season 1 location.  I'll miss him. 

Was fine with gross food guys gone but would have just been as fine with violin boys gone as well.  Never could tell them apart and don't care a fig about either team.  Wish they were both out and Cedric was still around. 

And asshole Cody won't listen to anyone when driving but only his very own gut.  Nothing has changed with him.

14 hours ago, PaperTree said:

They say these firemen are from California, but they sound like they are from Tennessee or Kentucky.

No they said the fireman were from Louisiana so their accent wouldn't sound like someone from California.  Or from Appalachia either for that matter.

Edited by green
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

They actually do teach sailing at Yale, it's the oldest collegiate sailing organization in the country. I would have rocked the first episode I learn to sail on an Optimist and been to Les Voiles de St. Tropez a few times. 

I also studied abroad in France in high school and would play pétanque with the grandfather and the other old guys in the village at least once a week.

Yeah.  Yale has a sailing team.  Thanks for bringing that up.  I alao 'appreciate' your Opti  sailing experience.

The show almost roped me in; Phil certainly tried his best, but  I just don't care if  rage boy and doormat got engaged.  Do. Not. Care.

I am going to miss Cedric and Shawn.  I enjoyed watching them compete and I am sorry we didn't get to see Cedric's excitement at going to a season 1 location.  I do love the long term fans. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Jessica and Cody were 6th, 2nd and back to 6th, right? I still think they got game but they seem to be bad with directions I think. Once they are at the Road Block & Detours they are fine. It looked like Cody was limping in the colosseum but I couldn’t tell if it happen before or during the task. Overall, I’m not too concerned about their placement but I’m feeling more of a 4th place finish rather then Top 3. That said, I’m horrible with The Amazing Race finishes and they'll probably win. LOL!!!!!

They won a leg also,

A two hour arc given to a very shrug-worthy proposal. Jody are very blessed to have avoided the continually interrupted 5 team engagement ceremony IMO, though from a game perspective that bonded those 5 and gives Brittany another excuse to single out Jessica next week, since Jessica wasn't part of her moment.

B-Ballers dribbled out, on a ball-related task no less. Eaters felt invisible, must've not been well-liked in the editing room. P.S. Those two goons were really some starved artists. They sacrificed a lot focusing on that artwork. ;)

Kristi/Jen are being pumped with a winner-like mist. A line about being at end, them being there for the wedding ring getting taken out, and a constant reminder of their determination despite missing the leg wins. The all-male teams are not feeling like key teams to watch, as 2/3 of them in F7 have not gotten wins yet. Alex/Conor could be their gender rivals tho.

Do Phil and the producers have dental care figured out too? How do they fix a chipped tooth in the middle of a race? Cute chip and cuter ship.

• Love 1

Well...

Great scenery in Saint Tropez... the water!  I don't think I would have done super well with the sailing lol.  Shawn did say that Cedric and him being big might be a problem in trying to maneuver the ship but looked like Cedric finally figured it out.

Ouch on the tooth (Shuddered through all that.. not a big dental-related stuff fan) but happy that Henry is so supportive and Evan did finally get the hang of the sailing.

Lots of navigation problems (in both legs!) eesh..

Pentaque looked interesting (and captions had it spelled completely wrong- until after the shot of the Rules board LMAO) but I  am still not a big fan of the head to head.. especially right before the pit stop!!

Zzzzz a proposal... Zzzzz

Sad to see the NBAers go but it was on them and it was a fair elimination- they had trouble all leg.

Loved the trebuchet (sp) and the stockade lol

Not sad to see the Chompers go... all they talked about (and all TAR edited...) was food- extreme eating.. yuck.  They were the only ones to do the puzzle- guessing they didn't want to run all over the arena? I would have loved doing that puzzle!

Faves are still Yale (Henry/Evan), Skiers(Kristi/Jenn) and Stringers?(Trevor/Chris).

Go Away Lifeguards (Lucas/Brittany), BigBrother(Cody/Jessica)

Neutral Firemen(Daniel/Eric), Indy (Conor/Alex)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Now if anyone's ever read Mary Stewart's Madame, Will You Talk?, I'm pretty sure Les Baux was one of the sites in that novel. It took place in the Avignon area. Building those catapults, the skier really did a good job on that one.

The bull-fighting arena in Arles was cool but those coliseum steps were killers.

Yes it was!   The heroine asked Louise if she wanted to go, but Louise wasn't interested in "Les Boos" so she went herself.  The bull-fighting arena was mentioned too (Colin thought it would be cool)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Pallid Man said:

I really hate the introduction of the Head to Head challenges. The Canadian version (Face-off I believe it's called) is handled so much better. Last team to lose has to wait 15 minutes I think after the last team wins to get their clue before heading to the next challenge (it's never immediately before the pit-stop) so it's not an automatic out.

I would far prefer that to what we have here. I think it is bullshit that teams complete all the tasks and get to the mat and then can lose. It is in no way shape or form interesting to me, it cheapens all the work that the teams have done to get to the mat and it takes away air time from the more interesting tasks.

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I was going to say that there was no way that Yale does not have a sailing class. I didn't even have to look it up to know that they would have a sailing class.

I enjoyed the episodes. The tasks were interesting and it is nice to see how the teams are mixing it up each episode. I liked the sailing challenge and I have yet to see anyone whine that Team Rescue had an unfair advantage because of their profession. I loved how Evan powered through the sailing task after hurting herself. I was happy to see that they were able to get her tooth fixed because that could have been a problem for eating and the like if it wasn't fixed ASAP.

I loved the trebuchet challenge. I kind of liked the whole lock up the partner bit. It was some added pressure for the partner building. I suspect that they were let out to stretch every once in a while because those things are uncomfortable. The setting was pretty awesome and it was nice to see the racers enjoy the location.

The bull ring was a modified needle in the hay stack challenge. If you did it methodically enough you should be fine but it would be time consuming. I also learned something about bull fighting in France. Kind of cool that they are trying to remove something from the bulls horn and not kill the animal.

The bread rolling was a nice local touch and seemed to be pretty easy to do if you paid attention. The shoe making was similar. Van Gogh seemed to be interesting although any team that spoke French would have benefited from the actor playing Van Gogh observations. He flat out said that Team Chomp had no clue how the easel worked. I thought that was weird because they clearly figured out that the easel was holding something but had no clue how it would open.

None of the teams annoy me. I can see that Team Rescue is fraying a bit. They seem to be more combative towards each other. I wonder if it is because they are in a relationship and don't work with each other. All the other teams have relationships that are at least partially based on working together, even Jess and Cody were working together (badly) in Big Brother. Tem Rescue share a job but they are probably not n the same shift or team so they don't have the day to day "how do we tackle this practical problem" bit. I suppose Team Extreme does not work together but they do race together, and against each other, so they have a friendly but more competitive relationship.

I am glad to see Chomp and NBA gone. They were not particularly interesting and they were clearly struggling on every leg. I can't wait to see Team Rescue gone, their dynamic is more annoying then other teams.

Yale is in the lead for my favorite team this season. I love how they support each other and how they are plugging away on every task. They are more then holding their own and they have great attitudes.

I really like the skiers, they have great attitudes and are aware of who they are competing against.

Jess and Cody are kind of boring, not a surprise because Cody goes into a competitive zone and just focuses on what he is doing. I love how Jess teases him and how Cody doesn't care. Jess does come off as a bit condescending although I suspect that she corrects pronunciations and the like after giggling and making her jokes but it is starting to wear on me.

I don't know enough about Team Well Strung, they seem nice and supportive of each other but we are not seeing much of them. Same for the fire fighter brothers. Although they do seem to be really good with the pun.

• Love 3

I don't like the head to head challenges either.  I think it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't already creating so much bunching by having everyone take the same flight--but given that, you have all of these teams close together, and if someone manages to get ahead only to lose their lead by waiting for a team to come play a game with them, that really takes a lot from the team (they can't have the option to work through a challenge to pull themselves to the front of the pack, etc).  And if they lose the random head to head game, it is even worse...they completely lost their lead, and can even be sent home.  

• Love 5

I'm in the minority in that I'm not minding the head-to-head comps - this one was much better than the first, too. I like that the teams don't know when it's coming so they still race flat out. I like that they have to stand there & keep their cool while watching other teams check in. I like that it keeps mixing up the order (I still remember the days when a team got so far ahead that they led for 2 or more legs, and all the fans bitched and moaned!)

Cody:  "Derp."

Jessica: "Your jingoistic ignorance is a source of endless amusement for me."

Cody: "Derp?"

Jessica: "Exactly!"

They're both obnoxious but she's so much smarter than he is; then again, maybe she likes it that way.

Sorry about the b-ballers leaving but dude, 3 heart attacks? Maybe you want to set up a hammock in the backyard and not tempt fate again, huh?

I admit, I got verklempt during Lucas's proposal. Not many people get to have their proposal moment professionally filmed!

Won't miss Joey & Tim -- Joey Chestnuts sweating was the stuff of nightmares.

• Love 1

One thing I found interesting was during the trebuchet challenge many racers commented on how cold they were and most were all bundled up and yet Joey was wearing basketball shorts.

Sweating from excess water intake, mm-hm, sure.

• Love 1

I missed the first half hour.  (Bad sign when I forget the show is on.)  How did Evan chip her tooth?

Not surprised the NBA guys were out since they Cedric has always had trouble with the roadblocks.  (Oops, I forgot Shawn did the ice letters challenge and had trouble with that one.)  It's kind of funny that the professional ball players lost the ball game to a girl.  Anyway, I'm happy for Brittney to get her ring, but please let's not make it a theme for the rest of the season.  (Especially now that Phil can't make any more eating comments to Joey.)

Speaking of jokes, that was a cute quick scene when the fire twins and the NBAers were making all the shoe puns.

Loved, loved the ball game, the medieval structures, trebouchet building, running around the arena, and the little bit of sailing I saw when I first turned it on.  Cool couple of episodes! 

The head to head doesn't bother me at all.  There will surely be a bunch again to nullify the spacing of the finishers.  And the fact that later teams have less chance to make it to the mat (fewer head to head opportunities) is their own fault for falling behind in earlier challenges.

It finally dawned on me who Tim reminds me of-- Charlie on Scandal.  

• Love 1

“Earnest words of encouragement”

If I didn’t already love Team Well Strung for superficial reasons, Trevor’s dry delivery would have won me over. Thank goodness they’re still in the race. Now get them somewhere hot so Chris can take his shirt off. 

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

“Earnest words of encouragement”

If I didn’t already love Team Well Strung for superficial reasons, Trevor’s dry delivery would have won me over. Thank goodness they’re still in the race. Now get them somewhere hot so Chris can take his shirt off. 

Oh this was delicious, really made me laugh!  I too love the dry delivery, and the fact that he chuckled at the end of his own sentence.  I believe the exact words were, "earnest delivery...words of encouragement"  and I'm going to use that on my family from now on!  

• Love 6

First leg - the boats were funny between the people who paddled, the people who didn't fit in them and the people who couldn't figure out which way to sail.  All the other team members bit their tongues really well though, guess they're being extra cautious after team basketball got the penalty for helping.  Speaking of - not sad or happy to see them go, didn't dislike them but didn't love them although I still have to give credit to anyone who would run this race after three heart attacks AND do it with a smile and sense of humor.

Second leg - Love the firefighters, I can't say they'll last long or win, they screw up a lot.  But can't help enjoying them.   That's the only reason I'm glad Joey and Tim were last although I didn't really want them out but if there was a choice I'd rather see the firefighters a bit longer.  Hate the head to head as a head to head challenge but I did like the game they played.  I wish it had been a regular challenge against locals instead although in the end it didn't change the order too much.  I have never, ever watched a single episode of Big Brother and I didn't know Jessica or Cody at all before this but I'm starting to see why they're not liked much, not sure about him but I'm starting to dislike Jessica.  

Edited to add:  Still totally in love with team Well Strung and still have no clear team to root for although they and Henry/Evan are at the top of my list

Also from my couch I'd say that I'd never had willingly gotten in those stocks and would have told the amazing producers give me a penalty if you have to but you're not sticking me in there.  Of course that's easy to say as a viewer when the race isn't really on the line, not sure what I'd have done in the moment but I think if you're a claustrophobic who can't stand even the thought of being someplace you can't leave or get out of (even if it's not enclosed) you'd be wanting to break out of those after 5 minutes.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 2

Just as an aside:  some have posted that they think there may be tensions between teams.  (I don't really see it.)  However, Team Indy had a reunion last week with The Skiers, half of the Eaters, Team Well Strung. and a few others (I've forgotten).  Conor posted a photo of them on Instagram...saying what great friends they'd made, etc.

• Love 5