Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E04: Got To Put Your Sole Into It!

Geenee
  • Start Topic

To me the violinists act like gay friends who used to date and stayed close.  They have an intimacy and a mutual ribbing that I see in a lot of my previously-coupled gay friends.

I think it's awesome how so many gay exes stay actively friends.  At least in my experience.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 3

I didn't have time to watch Wednesday's eppy and didn't want to cheat to find out who got eliminated, but....

Noooooooooooooooooo!  Loved Cedric and Shawn and sad that they were eliminated.  Also bummed about Joey and Tim.  Heh, I live in Philly so I'm familiar with Joey....the Joey I saw on this show is not the jackoff that me and Mr. Vixenstud sneers at during his hot dog eating contests, for he is very cocky but seemed uncomfortable on TAR; nukka actually had me feeling sorry for him, sad to see him and Tim eliminated.

My leftover faves are the Yale couple and Team Big Brother.

6 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I totally agree about reality show proposals.  But, I wonder if Lucas telling the casting people he was planning on proposing during the race might have helped them get on the show.  

I'm sure that was the whole purpose of the public proposal.  Leverage to get cast on the show.

6 hours ago, Boilergal said:

The comments tonight gave me the vibe that there is more there - if they aren't they should be dating - they are super cute together.   

Someone posted here in this thread or last week's that they used to be a couple but are just friends now.  I think they cited a pre-Race interview as the source.

This episode was more about personalities to me than racing.  When the violinists were potentially in last, I really felt disappointment because I like them and their goofy humor.  I always have my favorites, but I rarely get really disappointed if they lose.  (Of course, there are also always some I hate, like that obnoxious idiot in the green cap a couple of seasons ago- would never watch that season again because of his constant mugging).  My moment of panic made me think of the other teams. 

I have an inchoate visceral distaste for the big brother team (would never watch that show so knew nothing about them).  He seems like a sad little man overcompensating wildly for his small stature.  She is much smarter than he (a quality I usually am drawn to), but she's just so repulsive.  They are a dangerous pair- two self-absorbed insecure people who encourage each other's immature impulse to salve their insecurities through hostility towards others.  I didn't get the sense that other teams had an issue with the yale team, but that she is so threatened by their perceived stature (ivy league grads) that she will mock and belittle them as her type has done through the ages.  He, of course, will encourage her.  I expect we will eventually hear her utter to ageless complaint- they have book smarts, but no common sense.  Yawn.

I am drawn to the debaters because I competed in speech and debate (forensics) in high school and feel like I know these two.  That slight seeming social awkwardness and perhaps innocence is supplemented by fierce confidence.  I think the woman handled that tooth chip with such lack of emotion because of the years of experience she has had competing.  I would encourage the parents out there to get their kids involved in speech and debate.  They will learn a great deal about (of course) speaking in front of groups and thinking on their feet.  They will also learn how to compete, how to accept a loss, and how to be a good competitor.  They will learn how to battle in competition but also develop friendships with their opponents.  Very valuable lessons, IMO.

If TAR had a Miss/Master Congeniality award, it would have to go to the brunette skier.  She is an excellent racer, but also so encouraging to her partner and the other teams and seems so kind.  Her excitement over the proposal is what stirred my emotions during that moment.  I really like her and her partner.  I would be very happy if they were to win.

The racers have also grown on me.  I didn't mind the eaters losing and frankly was a little disturbed by the fact that joey walnuts keeps his stomach distended with water at all times.  That seems unhealthy and uncomfortable to me.  It appears he did not keep up with form during the race because he seemed to grow healthier looking as it went on. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Boilergal said:

The comments tonight gave me the vibe that there is more there - if they aren't they should be dating - they are super cute together.   

I think the time they spend touring with their band helps a lot. They spend a ton of time together and have a good read on they respond to stress, travel woes and other issues.

• Love 1

Even though the firefighters couldn’t figure out reverse, they quickly found a solution and powered through.

Every season there is a team that I totally forget exists and I wonder Who Are These People? The violinists are that team for me this cycle!

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1

I confess... I still have no idea which all male team is which - even with the fact that one has twins. And apparently at one point I got confused about the men and thought one of them was the lifeguard.  I saw the Team Chomp label and thought that was hysterical for the lifeguards. Now looking at Wikipedia I realize he was a competitive eater. 

I love the skiers. I hope they win - which means they probably won't.   

• Love 1

Finally caught up with the episodes.  I enjoyed the Ballers and was sad to see them go, but they never seemed like contenders.  Cedric did seem to have internalized an old man persona before his time, but that is likely what years of intense physical activity and multiple heart attacks do to a person.

The extreme eaters were my least favorite team (even more than Goat Yoga!) so that was a nice conclusion.  Joey seemed like he didn't care about the race at all, which was really perplexing.  It seems like someone who reaches the top of any competitive enterprise (even such a bizarre one as competitive eating) would have a high level of baseline competitiveness that they could channel in other contexts.  Tim did seem to care about the race, but between his nervous, anxious face, Joey's nonchalance, and the dunderhead moves they made every episode......I'm very glad that they are off the screen.  

The Skiers continue to impress as one of the best teams ever, and Team Yale is another favorite- my whole family was so impressed that she barely paused after getting her tooth chipped off.  The Violin guys and the Twins are both amusing to watch (love the cheesy jokes) but the lack of navigation skills and urgency for both teams doesn't bode well for the future.  

Edited by prunieprune
  • Love 1

On top of that, Lucas then said, "You always do this." Ugh, seriously? 

He said something to her that really raised a red flag to me - it was either "you had one thing to do" or "what did I just say?" Maybe both. In either case he was chastising her in a way that read as emotionally abusive. My immediate response was to think he was the last guy on earth she should marry. Bad idea. I don't see good things for her in this relationship.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

He said something to her that really raised a red flag to me - it was either "you had one thing to do" or "what did I just say?" Maybe both. In either case he was chastising her in a way that read as emotionally abusive. My immediate response was to think he was the last guy on earth she should marry. Bad idea. I don't see good things for her in this relationship.

My BF and I cringed at the "you had one job" comment -- that thought makes a funny meme, but it's just not something you should say to your partner. 

• Love 1
On 1/25/2018 at 12:44 AM, green said:
On 1/24/2018 at 10:13 PM, PaperTree said:

They say these firemen are from California, but they sound like they are from Tennessee or Kentucky.

No they said the fireman were from Louisiana so their accent wouldn't sound like someone from California.  Or from Appalachia either for that matter.

Whoops!  Don't know how CA got in to my head  :)

Ah, love seeing my husband's hometown, Arles, and surrounding areas.  Les Baux is such a fun place, great views of Provence.  We actually got to operate trebuchets there last summer.  They also have this wonderful show in the caves below Les Baux, projections of art with music playing, called Carriere de Lumeire.

We went to one of the bull shows in the colliseum too, also a lot of fun.   Too bad more didn't do the puzzle, that are is very pretty and painting puzzle looked real cool.

I'll have to ask the family about the hotel/resort the teams check in at, and presumably stayed.  hopefully they got some good wine.