Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E04: Got To Put Your Sole Into It!

Geenee
  • Start Topic

I am not a fan of public proposals. And even worse is the idea of going on a TV show to propose.  If you want to get married, talk about, make a plan, and do it.  You don't need an audience to do that.  Not everyone cares.

• Love 10

Nobody *likes* change - it's like the dark.

Arles did look lovely.

There was a lovely minute or so where everyone mispronounced a whole series of French place names.  If I ever race, I'll be right there with them.

• Love 1

I keep expecting Henry and Evan to be more articulate than they actually are. It's not just because they went to Yale but because they were on the debate team. But the extra screen time they got at the beginning of the episode celebrating their win... well, any other couple on the race could have had that same conversation.

"No. Not unless they got the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and all that." Ugh.

I don't know if it's new or I'm just not used to it anymore but I feel like the producers are really making everyone trot out their storylines (jobs, proposal, etc.) and they're creating fake drama with the music. It didn't seem like everyone was as weird about Yale showing up as the music tried to make you think. It's subtle but I feel like TAR has been better about that than other shows. 

I wish they had explained a little of how to actually steer the dinghies so we knew what the racers were supposed to be doing.

Wow. 50 baguettes or a sandal? I was impressed with the detours this time. Upping the difficulty. I do think that since a lot of the focus was on the teams in the water, we didn't get a ton of time with this detour. 

The Indy racers are becoming one of my favorite teams this season.

Oh my God, the firefighters and their inability to reverse!

Wow. Evan was lucky it hit her hard enough to chip a tooth but not in a way that drew blood or caused bruising. That could have been a more serious injury. 

I like the skiers so I was a little taken aback at another head to head. On the other hand, petanque isn't exactly physical. It's a combination of skill (similar to a lot of physics-related games, like an easier version of pool) and a slight bit of luck (influence of terrain, etc.). So if you have decent hand eye coordination, everyone has a pretty fair shot. 

I did not enjoy all the dramatic music during petanque. I get it, someone could be eliminated. It's serious. But for the first round? It's a lawn game. It's OK if things are fun on the race. I feel like we could never enjoy one team doing well because of the angst of the other team.

Yeah... I was ready for the lifeguards to leave. I wasn't broken up about the NBA team because they were struggling but I was ready to lose the lifeguards. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I wish they had explained a little of how to actually steer the dinghies so we knew what the racers were supposed to be doing.

You need to turn the rudder so it turns the boat into a position where the wind in caught by the sail. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

You need to turn the rudder so it turns the boat into a position where the wind in caught by the sail. 

Yes.  Upthread someone said they couldn't believe that racers were holding the boom.  I thought that's what Phil said they had to do?  One hand on the boom to adjust the position of the sail so it would catch the wind, one hand on the rudder to steer.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Yes.  Upthread someone said they couldn't believe that racers were holding the boom.  I thought that's what Phil said they had to do?  One hand on the boom to adjust the position of the sail so it would catch the wind, one hand on the rudder to steer.

The boom should always swing freely getting its momentum from the wind. Holding onto the boom and fighting the wind to try to control the direction of the sail can be very dangerous. 

34 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

Holding onto the boom and fighting the wind to try to control the direction of the sail can be very dangerous. 

As Evan discovered the hard way.  I'm impressed with the TAR medical team that they could fix her tooth like that, even if it is a temporary fix.

• Love 1

I like Well-Strung. They're a little corny but at least they have jokes and they're trying to have a good time. The seven dwarves thing made me laugh.

How long was the pit stop? How were they able to get Evan's tooth fixed?

Was there an advantage to getting their first to get to the clue box? Because it seemed like the sooner you got there the more time you spent sleeping outside in the cold.

LOL. I love Well-Strung mocking the other teams. Seriously, how does that vague encouragement help anyone?

I liked that the medieval village was more Game of Thrones than Ren Faire. And the judge had a great accent. I wonder if he's an actor. Like that's the equivalent of Disney World or one of those historical reenactment places where they hire actors and not just college kids and volunteers.

"Thank God you're not a betting man, 'cause we'd be poor." LOL

Everyone was so scared of the puzzle. Even Yale. I guess if you've seen the race you know to be wary of the "easier" option but still... 

It was hard to be enthusiastic about the proposal. I mean, look, I don't know their relationship but from what we've seen on the race and the fact that they waited 9 years, I don't think they should get married. They haven't devoted a ton of screen time to it (thank goodness) but I think they were trying to build it up to a moment that wasn't successful to me. Also, I know they wouldn't have done anything to ensure a first place finish for them but it's awfully convenient for a team that hasn't been racing that well. If they hadn't gotten first at any point would he have just not proposed? Or proposed when they were eliminated? It was kind of cute at first when they talked to the next few teams to get to the mat. By the time Evan and Henry and the Indy guys were there it was too much. Don't make everyone hang out to "witness the proposal." You don't even need that many witnesses to get married.

I felt bad for the competitive eaters but dear God. Just pull it out the top. You did the hard part! So frustrating to watch.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

As Evan discovered the hard way.  I'm impressed with the TAR medical team that they could fix her tooth like that, even if it is a temporary fix.

They're in France, not England.

• Love 6

I’m kinda sad to lose the eaters because Tim is very cute.

Has Evan always had that nose ring?  and I totally missed it?  

And Brittany, Van Gogh is not an abstract painter.

Co-signing all of these thoughts.

Was the ring hidden in Lucas’s earbuds or something? 

That was weird. I was almost thinking he was going to propose in the car. Like, she would have found the ring when she looked for the earbuds. 

I now know why the one Indy car racer sleeps on the couch of the other one.  When he basically said that if he doesn't 'get' something right away he ends up hating it and giving up, I realized that he probably never sticks with anything for long.  Life is hard-figure it out.  I have students like that.  If they spent half the time that they complain about how 'hard' something is and trying to get out of it on actually trying to figure/work it out, they would be much more successful.  It's an entitled attitude (I am entitled to have every thing handed to me), and I am so over it.  But, I do like the actual winning Indy car racer.

I don't think Conor was bragging about his impatience and reaction to frustration...just trying to explain (not excuse) why he was not very good at certain tasks.  I liked that he was pretty self-aware.

• Love 3

I find it ironic that the show keeps emphasizing how competitive these teams are and, by proxy, how competitive this edition is, while introducing an element that voids 95% of the competitive action in a leg. Boo head to head! 

I have to echo the appreciation for Wellstrung’s approach to encouragement and for Evan not skipping a beat when she got smacked in the face. 

And it’s nice to see Les Baux again - I think that was the season 1 leg in which they (seemingly) had to wake Phil up to do the elimination of the really late arriving last team.  Ah, memories!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Kristi got that right, leaning over and letting the sail catch the wind. I wondered if she had done it before, or maybe she's a natural sportswoman..

• Love 1

Probably not the TAR medics--I suspect TPTB took her to a local dentist.

• Love 1

For a chip that size you could probably do a mold/filling that wouldn't take too long. Under an hour. Probably a lot less like 15 minutes if the dentist knows what they're doing since it's mostly letting it set and then filing a bit. Though I don't know how long that kind of fix would last. I've had quick fillings like that pop out. I wonder how early TPTB had to make calls to find a local dentist and get her scheduled during the pit stop. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, UncleChuck said:

Probably not the TAR medics--I suspect TPTB took her to a local dentist.

Yeah from my understanding legs are set-up with local medical people contracted for the time and ready if needed though I'm sure that doesn't include a dentist so that had to be arranged on the fly.

17 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Sorry, you are right.  David Byron.  I've been rereading her books.  Colin is from the Moonspinners.

It's all cool; I came off as rude. And it's nice to know there are other Mary Stewart fans out there.

The shorter Race Car dude looks a little like Dylan Bruno to me.

As good natured as the NBA guys seemed, it was time for them to go. One thing that I found a little bit amusing was how the one who's had three heart attacks said more than once that he's the oldest one this season. While that is true, he isn't even 50 and we have definitely had racers who were over 50 in previous seasons and most of them were not super athletic. I know every season is different and of course it's all relative, but I was laughing at how he made it sound like he was 75 years old or something. To me the three heart attacks were more concerning than being almost 50.

19 hours ago, AEMom said:

The proposal got my hackles raised.  I am really sick of women who complain about waiting, waiting, waiting for a ring.  Why is it up to the man to decide an engagement?  This should be a conversation between the couple who decide that they would like to get married.  If someone doesn't want to get engaged and you don't want to wait, then break up.  If you decide to get engaged, and you want an engagement ring, go shopping together for one so that you pick something that you like together, especially since you'll have to wear it forever.  Not terribly romantic, but marriages need a hell of lot more than romance to survive.  They need common sense, discussion, and compromise.

Same here. It seems that some women are determined to have a big proposal story, not just get engaged. When my husband's (female) cousin got engaged two years ago, one of his relatives asked for the proposal story, she said, "Well, we talked about getting married and then we saved up some money and went ring shopping together." To me, the important thing is that you both want to spend the rest of your lives together, not that the guy spent months planning a flash mob or whatever. How someone proposes to you is not a measure of their love for you. I find it weird that so many women are stuck on this old fashioned idea that they have to sit around waiting for the man to propose. If you were hungry, would you just sit on the sofa and wait for your boyfriend to make you dinner? 99% of public proposals are so tacky to me, but the ones on reality tv are even grosser. Like you couldn't just propose? You had to go on a tv show and do it on camera? 

What annoyed me about Lucas was when he told Brittany to stop crying. First of all, you aren't allowed to tell someone to stop feeling or reacting however they feel or react. If you're sad or mad or whatever, that's just how you feel. You can't help that you feel that way and someone telling you not to feel that way isn't going to magically make you feel differently. Crying is something that most people can't control (like sneezing). It's just something your body does in reaction to something else. I couldn't stop crying any more than I could stop myself from sneezing. On top of that, Lucas then said, "You always do this." Ugh, seriously? People who bring up past shit are people who I avoid. People who use words like "always" or "never" to describe someone else's behavior are also people I avoid. Plus they've been together nine years. If you don't want to be with someone who's emotional and crying, then just break up with her instead of telling her how to feel/act/behave.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, NeverLate said:

Kristi got that right, leaning over and letting the sail catch the wind.

The Optimist dinghy has a sheet that controls the boom via a couple of blocks.  I can't recall seeing any of them using a sheet.  However, they were required to step the mast themselves, so they would also have had to rig the sheet.  Perhaps they just failed to rig the boat properly, and were forced to control the boom directly?  I don't recall whether there was someone standing by to check the boat's rigging before they took to the water.  

I am not a fan of public proposals. And even worse is the idea of going on a TV show to propose.  If you want to get married, talk about, make a plan, and do it.  You don't need an audience to do that.  Not everyone cares.

I'm not really either (it would be my worst nightmare), but I also realize some people are. And in this case, I don't feel like it was so much about having an audience as it was proposing during what is undoubtedly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I don't love Brittany and Lucas and what we've seen of their relationship, but I didn't really have any qualms with the specific proposal being what it was. 

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

The Optimist dinghy has a sheet that controls the boom via a couple of blocks.  I can't recall seeing any of them using a sheet.  However, they were required to step the mast themselves, so they would also have had to rig the sheet.  Perhaps they just failed to rig the boat properly, and were forced to control the boom directly?  I don't recall whether there was someone standing by to check the boat's rigging before they took to the water.  

I recall Phil saying something about receiving no instruction, so I think they just had to go for it.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, AEMom said:

I recall Phil saying something about receiving no instruction, so I think they just had to go for it.

But I thought I heard the guy handing out the boats saying something like, "Use the boom to catch the air, and use the rudder to steer."  I have NO idea how to manage one of those boats, so if that's correct info . . . the guy had to have said it.  

• Love 2

Rewatching:  They have to step the mast themselves, with the sail already raised/unfurled.  So they don't have to mess with halyard & kicking-strap, just drop the mast into the step.  And the Optimist doesn't use stays, apparently.  There is a guy who tells Evan (and presumably everyone else) "One 'and for ze direction, one 'and for ze sail," and he is gripping the tiller with one hand and the boom with one hand. (There isn't a sheet attached, so he can't do oterwise.)  So, that would influence the uninitiated.

In almost every shot, you can see the main sheet lying in the bottom of the boats, but nobody rigs it to the boom.  Zay just follow ze instructions zay received!

ETA:  Part 1 Greeter:  Yummy!

Edited by Netfoot

Maybe it's just me but I had no problems with the proposal itself inasmuch as it seemed he had been planning it and they'd just won a five day trip to Bali (an ideal honeymoon spot). However; considering that they are in a multi country competition that involves not only getting through numerous customs, airport securities, lodgings, restaurants, etc. but also subjects the contestants to some physically risky and chaotic feats, are they really sure they want that HUGE rock at risk from being lost,stolen  and or broken before they get home? 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

are they really sure they want that HUGE rock at risk from being lost,stolen  and or broken before they get home? 

I suppose they could ask production to look after it for them...  but would production want to have that responsibility?

1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

In almost every shot, you can see the main sheet lying in the bottom of the boats, but nobody rigs it to the boom.  Zay just follow ze instructions zay received!

I swear I saw one shot of one boat with a sheet (line [rope] for maneuvering the sail) rigged to the center of the boom and held in the sailor's rudderless hand. ("Only the one?" "Definitely.")  Lucas, most likely.  And suddenly, sailing looked stirring.

Damn. I wanted the competetive eaters to last at least until some gross eating challenge! 

Phil trying hard to do serious "sports commentating" during the bocce games was funny. It almost seems like they've told Phil to loosen up, cuz he seems to engage in chat with the racers more and dish out more hugs and smiles. I remember back when it was like DO NOT TOUCH PHIL! STAY ON YOUR SIDE OF THE MAT!!  

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I remember back when it was like DO NOT TOUCH PHIL! STAY ON YOUR SIDE OF THE MAT!!  

Especially Cha-cha-cha, black as chimney sweeps from packing charcoal, chasing him around the mat to give him a hug!

Good times!  

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Anonymouslyanon said:

I made this account just so I could complain about the idiot who couldn't put that Fiat in reverse. What kind of man are you? 

Welcome aboard!

Sadly, the stereotype of men not asking for directions also tends to apply to asking for instructions.  If I hadn't figured it out in 10 seconds, I'd have been looking to see if there was a manual in the glove box.  Had there not been, I'd have been asking anyone around me for help.

• Love 1

I made this account just so I could complain about the idiot who couldn't put that Fiat in reverse. What kind of man are you? 

At least other than reverse he knew how to drive manual.  There have been way too many people who come on the race and seemed shocked to find manual transmissions.  Some people have said some cars have some little trick to getting into reverse.  Do they take the car manuals out of the glovebox or do European cars not come with manuals - you would think they could at least see if there's a diagram of the gear shift setup.  If not that, stop at a gas station/mechanic and ask someone.

I liked this head to head more than the first one.  At least losing gave the possibility of learning some better techniques and figuring out how to throw the ball, unlike the first race where repeated losing just made the teams more exhausted.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, athelyna said:

At least other than reverse he knew how to drive manual.  There have been way too many people who come on the race and seemed shocked to find manual transmissions.  Some people have said some cars have some little trick to getting into reverse.  Do they take the car manuals out of the glovebox or do European cars not come with manuals - you would think they could at least see if there's a diagram of the gear shift setup.  If not that, stop at a gas station/mechanic and ask someone.

Yep.  Anything beats the choice of heading out on a road trip in a strange country without knowing something important about the car.

Just now, AZChristian said:

Yep.  Anything beats the choice of heading out on a road trip in a strange country without knowing something important about the car.

Like whether it takes diesel or regular gas?  How many teams have put the wrong fuel in?

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Like whether it takes diesel or regular gas?  How many teams have put the wrong fuel in

There was a leg (in an early TAR) where 4 teams put in the wrong gas, even though the gas cap clearly said "use diesel only" (or something like that) I remember it being an early leg that season--they were in Brazil I think. And at least one of those cars (maybe all?) broke down because of it.

• Love 2

Well, I’m not crazy about head-to-head challenges and miss the airport shuffles (seems like everyone is always on the same flight this season), but this is a good season so far and I especially like the team dynamics.  No animosity or trash-talking to speak of and there’s no team I actively despise.  

Having said that, I’m not sorry Team Swallow & Puke went home but am really sorry to lose the NBA guys.  They might not have won but at least Cedric lived his dream for a few legs of the race.  I’m also fond of Henry and Evan and am surprised the B.B. team don’t annoy me as much as I thought they would.  I’m a race fan so hope the Indy guys continue to do well.  

Gorgeous scenery both episodes!  

Now if anyone's ever read Mary Stewart's Madame, Will You Talk?, I'm pretty sure Les Baux was one of the sites in that novel. It took place in the Avignon area. Building those catapults, the skier really did a good job on that one.

Mary Stewart’s one of my all-time favorite authors.  Haven’t read that one for many years but knew Les Baux rang a bell.  Thanks for jogging my memory.  

5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Welcome aboard!

Sadly, the stereotype of men not asking for directions also tends to apply to asking for instructions.  If I hadn't figured it out in 10 seconds, I'd have been looking to see if there was a manual in the glove box.  Had there not been, I'd have been asking anyone around me for help.

5 hours ago, athelyna said:

No, you don't know how to drive a manual transmission if you can't put the car in reverse. Who on earth needs to read the manual to figure that one out? I've driven at least six different cars with manual transmissions. Before I leave my parking spot, I put my foot on the clutch and try them all out, because I don't want to stall while switching gears, especially at the higher speeds. Someone posted how manuals go into reverse in European cars (pushing/pulling up the collar), but you honestly don't need to know the mechanics of it, it will happen automatically for you while you are pushing it around. The most important thing is to have your foot down completely on the clutch. I can't imagine how much fun will be made of that fireman when he gets home.

28 minutes ago, limecoke said:

Well, I’m not crazy about head-to-head challenges and miss the airport shuffles (seems like everyone is always on the same flight this season), but this is a good season so far and I especially like the team dynamics.  No animosity or trash-talking to speak of and there’s no team I actively despise.  

Having said that, I’m not sorry Team Swallow & Puke went home but am really sorry to lose the NBA guys.  They might not have won but at least Cedric lived his dream for a few legs of the race.  I’m also fond of Henry and Evan and am surprised the B.B. team don’t annoy me as much as I thought they would.  I’m a race fan so hope the Indy guys continue to do well.  

Gorgeous scenery both episodes!  

Mary Stewart’s one of my all-time favorite authors.  Haven’t read that one for many years but knew Les Baux rang a bell.  Thanks for jogging my memory.  

I was very happy with both of the eliminations. Team Swallow & Puke seems nice enough, but I can't wrap my head around their occupation. I had no idea that was a profession. All I could think of were the vast amounts of people (including children) that go to bed hungry if not actually starving, so it seems unethical that people are gorging on food to win prizes/money, and yes, I'm sure they puke a lot of it back up. Ugg. How do you feel proud of yourself when that's your occupation? Think both of them need higher goals.

I also didn't mind the pro basketball players going, even though they planned on donating the money to charity if they won. I know most people on the show could really use the money and I find that always creeps into it. I made an exception for the Harlem Globetrotters because they were just so funny, and these two just seemed like a less entertaining, less distinctive version. It's probably my own personal prejudice - just think it's ridiculous how athletes in certain sports (basketball, football, golf) are revered and grossly overpaid. I don't feel the same way about Kristi and Jen, because their income isn't on the same level at all. 

So great to see all the love here for Mary Stewart. It must have been over 30 years since I last read her, and your comments make me want to go back and reread them all.

On 1/26/2018 at 12:48 PM, eel2178 said:

I've been in a stockade once (The Museum of Torture and Punishment in London takes your picture in one when you enter the museum), and I'm too short to be able to fit into it. I had to stand on the tips of my toes and still couldn't get my neck in the right spot. If I'm every in a situation where I had  to be in a stockade again, I think I'd insist on a step stool.

I remember when I was little (like 50 years ago) we were touring an historical site that had stockades.  I freaked out because they came in several sizes including a child's size which permitted the child to sit instead of stand.  I have never forgotten it.  So next time, you should ask for a smaller version.

I just watched this episode.  I have a really bad sinus infection and I had a fair amount of trouble watching more than 20 minutes at a time which may affect my memory of it.  I really want one of those mini-sail boats.  And, as much as I love puzzles, I would have done the bull ring.  I think maybe the best idea would be to start with one person on tier 1 and the other on the next level and go around it as closely together as possible.  Otherwise, I would thin the team could end up with 2 of one color and waste time.  I wasn't really sure how big it was and if teams could hear each other across it.

I knew as soon as the prize was mentioned that the trip would be their honeymoon and he would pull out the ring, and he did.  Actually, I had wondered in an earlier episode if he would propose at the diamond place.

I think the two women ( skiiers?) are my favorite now.  I do like the Yalies.  And I was a bit relieved that the Dunkers are gone--especially after he kept mentioning the heart attacks (actually he may have mentioned it once, and the show just kept repeating it.

• Love 1

It's hard to comment on double-legs that aren't TBCs, but the best way to sum up this pair is "weak teams get eliminated for the reasons they were weak", which is honestly what you expect and want from a good season. The NBA pair got done from on-foot navigation, the Eaters got done from bad driving and just generally being slow through everything. 

I liked both legs apart from the Head to Head which is terrible in so many ways, even worse than the TARCan Face-Off. Self-navigation is always a plus, and TPTB seem to be building tasks out of the locations and making the map part of the game. All a wee bit Euro-centric for now, though, which makes me wonder how big the KF will be when everything takes a big leap eastwards.

Someone posted how manuals go into reverse in European cars (pushing/pulling up the collar), but you honestly don't need to know the mechanics of it, it will happen automatically for you while you are pushing it around.

Honestly, it won't unless you're really playing around with the gearstick. The point of the lift-to-reverse is that you don't accidentally put it in reverse. You might get it to a position that you think is reverse, but it'll be in neutral.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, athelyna said:

The European cars we've rented have had the manuals in the glove box like you'd expect. (I usually end up digging through them looking for instructions on how the radio or sat nav system works) 

• Love 1

Got to finally watch the episode(s) tonight (TAR is back on Sunday! :-) )

I definitely got a hint of dislike towards the Yale team.  Wonder if it's similar to the dislike of Vanck & Ashton last season (one or both rubbing the other racers wrong?)

And once I saw him with his hat on backwards, and his quick trigger on getting frustrated, I finally realized who he reminded me of.  Adam from season six.

2 hours ago, jdunlop said:

Got to finally watch the episode(s) tonight (TAR is back on Sunday! :-) )

I definitely got a hint of dislike towards the Yale team.  Wonder if it's similar to the dislike of Vanck & Ashton last season (one or both rubbing the other racers wrong?)

And once I saw him with his hat on backwards, and his quick trigger on getting frustrated, I finally realized who he reminded me of.  Adam from season six.

Did they rebroadcast episodes Sunday night?

On 1/25/2018 at 7:45 AM, Special K said:

Flashback to the first time I went to Ireland, and couldn't back the rental car out of the parking space!  And thank you to the random Irish businessman who told us what to do!  You have to pull UP on the collar around the stick shift, boys, to get it into reverse!  Good on them for working around it, though.

I can't help myself, I love the puns, stupid as they are.  I love a jolly racer, no matter what.

That's exactly what happened to me when I rented a car in Ireland in 1996. The first day I had to be creative about parking when I went to and from the Cliffs of Moher, and the next morning before heading out of Ennis again for the day, my first stop was at the rental agency to find out how the heck to put it in reverse! All the cars I'd owned had manual transmissions so it's not like I wasn't used to it. I also did check for an operating manual in the glove compartment but there wasn't one.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 4
On 1/27/2018 at 6:26 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As good natured as the NBA guys seemed, it was time for them to go. One thing that I found a little bit amusing was how the one who's had three heart attacks said more than once that he's the oldest one this season. While that is true, he isn't even 50 and we have definitely had racers who were over 50 in previous seasons and most of them were not super athletic. I know every season is different and of course it's all relative, but I was laughing at how he made it sound like he was 75 years old or something. To me the three heart attacks were more concerning than being almost 50.

Same here. It seems that some women are determined to have a big proposal story, not just get engaged. When my husband's (female) cousin got engaged two years ago, one of his relatives asked for the proposal story, she said, "Well, we talked about getting married and then we saved up some money and went ring shopping together." To me, the important thing is that you both want to spend the rest of your lives together, not that the guy spent months planning a flash mob or whatever. How someone proposes to you is not a measure of their love for you. I find it weird that so many women are stuck on this old fashioned idea that they have to sit around waiting for the man to propose. If you were hungry, would you just sit on the sofa and wait for your boyfriend to make you dinner? 99% of public proposals are so tacky to me, but the ones on reality tv are even grosser. Like you couldn't just propose? You had to go on a tv show and do it on camera? 

What annoyed me about Lucas was when he told Brittany to stop crying. First of all, you aren't allowed to tell someone to stop feeling or reacting however they feel or react. If you're sad or mad or whatever, that's just how you feel. You can't help that you feel that way and someone telling you not to feel that way isn't going to magically make you feel differently. Crying is something that most people can't control (like sneezing). It's just something your body does in reaction to something else. I couldn't stop crying any more than I could stop myself from sneezing. On top of that, Lucas then said, "You always do this." Ugh, seriously? People who bring up past shit are people who I avoid. People who use words like "always" or "never" to describe someone else's behavior are also people I avoid. Plus they've been together nine years. If you don't want to be with someone who's emotional and crying, then just break up with her instead of telling her how to feel/act/behave.

I totally agree about reality show proposals.  But, I wonder if Lucas telling the casting people he was planning on proposing during the race might have helped them get on the show.  

On 1/25/2018 at 12:12 PM, willgracefan said:

I'm pretty sure Chris and Trevor are just roommates and coworkers, not dating eachother...

The comments tonight gave me the vibe that there is more there - if they aren't they should be dating - they are super cute together.   

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Boilergal said:

The comments tonight gave me the vibe that there is more there - if they aren't they should be dating - they are super cute together.   

I don't get any vibe from them at all. They are hardly even shown. I mean.......I see them but I don't have any of impression of them. Maybe, I'm not into them or something. I don't like or hate them. They are kind of meh to me.