Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Game Night / S05.E11: The Favor

• Start Topic

Rosa begs Jake to help her break some big news to her parents, but her plan is thrown off when they wrongly assume the two are dating.

and

When Seamus Murphy returns to redeem the favor Holt owes him, the precinct searches for a loophole that will allow Holt to uphold his end of the bargain without breaking the law.

I thought both of these episodes were really good. I wish the 1st one had aired by itself though, because it was a little difficult going from that episode making me emotional over the Rosa plot to switching my attention to the Seamus plot in the following episode.

The show continues to handle the Rosa storyline really well. My heart broke for Rosa when her parents pulled away from her after she revealed she was bi. The Nine-Nine being there for Game Night at the end was really sweet. Jake was also an amazing friend this episode and I loved the Rosa/Holt moment.

The Rosa/Amy storyline was the highlight of the 2nd episode for me. One of my few complaints about the 1st half of the 5th Season is that I wished for more Rosa/Amy interaction and this episode gave them some fun scenes.

I love Kevin a lot, so it upsets me that Seamus is threatening him but I'm also excited if this means we will get to see more of Kevin during the 2nd half of Season 5.

I"m sad that the show probably won't return until at least March.

• Love 11

Danny Trejo really has playing the hard ass dad of a hard ass leather clad daughter thing down to a T, doesn't he? Jake should just be happy he didn't have super powers this time! I hope he shows up again, and that Rosa can make a real connection with her parents. 

Jake being Rosa's constant support system "Oh, I`m still involved in this..." was both touching and sweet. As was Holt telling Jake how proud he was of him, and Jake desperately trying not to cry about it. Also loved Holt's whole conversation with Rosa about how telling her truth makes the world a better place. They've come so far since season 1. 

Oh. Gina came back. Now I remember why I didn't miss her. I really thought she was leaving, but then she came back, as entitled and annoying as ever. I sometimes like Gina, but this show is really better off without her. I just have no idea why everyone worships her so much. She doesn't seem to be that good at her job, she`s super mean in ways no one else on the show is, and she never learns any kind of lesson or develops or grows. Couldn't she have just stayed with the baby?!?! And off my screen!

Not a whole lot of Amy/Jake, but we did get confirmation that Jake has a picture of him and Amy with their engagement ring on his phone as her caller pic. Damn it guys, your adorableness never ends! 

If anyone hurts Cheddar, I will fight them!!!

• Love 20

That moment between Rosa and Holt at the end of the first episode gave me allllllll the feels. 

I’m really going to miss the 99 while it’s on break, and am going to cross all my fingers and toes that the new shows tank (harsh but true) and Fox decides to green light season 6.

NINE NINE!

• Love 10

"Hi there. I'd like to humiliate some hussies, and I'm in a hurry."

Ugh. Go away, Gina! At least last season they went into the break by having her get hit by a bus. That's what these episodes really needed.

Holt and Rosa's brief moment was everything I wanted from that story. 

• Love 15

So Murphy is enough of a "gentleman" to:

1) not make a copy of the tape (which is somehow possible to determine)

2) not tape himself and Holt talking about their agreement (which would incriminate himself, but also bring Holt down)

and

3) not simply spread the word that he had a deal with Holt, the rumor of which might be enough to derail his chance to be Commissioner (and Holt would never deny it, since it was true)

I also keep thinking that if Holt did become Commissioner, he would always be at risk of Murphy revealing they had had a deal, which Holt would never deny, and which would likely necessitate his resignation.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

The show continues to knock it out of the park with the casting of parents. I mean, Danny Trejo barely had to be woken up to play the role, but he still nailed it convincingly. I would have liked to have seen Rosa's sister too, but I get this was about her and her parents' relationship. Props to the show for having Rosa come out of what was obviously a supportive but stern household. It gives her character more agency. 

Good God, Diane Keaton's brother-in-law is a doofus. 

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 9

Aaannnddd Gina is back.  I feel like someone ripped my heart out of my chest and stomped on it a few dozen times when she answered the door.

Maybe in a future episode she'll get hit by a train.  One can hope.

• Love 15

The Rosa episode was great. I don't really hate the Gina character but I'm sorry she's back. Show was doing just fine without her. I did crack up at Terry. "Pumping hard or hardly pumping?" You know who's been stealing the show for me lately though? Hitchcock. There has been just the perfect amount of Hitchcock.

• Love 7

I appreciated they made it clear Rosa’s bisexuality wasn’t some prison induced epiphany, but something she’s always known about herself. I loved her and Jake, he really is a great friend, and her and Holt was definitely tear inducing.  

I don’t like Kevin being in peril but if that means we get more of Kevin, and Cheddar, I’m on board. 

• Love 5

I liked all the guesses Rosa's mom was yelling while Rosa was trying to illustrate "wedding" (paraphrasing a LOT-- please forgive me):

Girl

Women

best friends

two women who are partners in a business together

they love chocolate 

-----------------

Corrected version:

A woman

Lady

Women

Two women

Holding hands

Friends

Sisters

Business partners

Co-owners of a chocolate shop

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I liked all the guesses Rosa's mom was yelling while Rosa was trying to illustrate "wedding" (paraphrasing a LOT-- please forgive me):

Girl

Women

best friends

two women who are partners in a business together

they love chocolate 

She should have drawn a balloon arch.

• Love 8

Ditto the comments upthread about Gina. I know the actress and her husband are like a Hollywood It Couple right now but a tiny bit of Gina goes a long way. I think she tends brings the whole mood of a scene down.

Other than the Gina parts, I thought these last two episodes were among the best of the series. That final look on Holt's face was chilling. Serious stuff is 'bout to go down in the second half of the season.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5

You know, I never really had a problem with Gina... until she was gone and I realized how nice the group’s dynamic was without her particular brand of arrogance and cruelty. I was disappointed to see her back. 

All of the Rosa stuff was sweet. It was sad seeing her so worried and vulnerable, and I’m glad her work family was there for her. I like how this show highlights important stuff like LGBT and race-related issues with humour and without making it feel like the characters are standing on a soapbox. Jake gets all kinds of little asides about trans people in prison or gun control, and they always hit.

• Love 20

As pretty much everyone has said, aside from Gina's return, these episodes were wonderful. What I especially love about Rosa's coming out is that she's still the same Rosa. Her announcing that she's bi to the Nine-Nine and allowing them one minute to ask her questions was perfect. And, the Jake-Rosa friendship has always been strong.

I think that, in the end, Holt's going to withdraw his name from consideration for Commissioner over the Seamus deal.

14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

If anyone hurts Cheddar, I will fight them!!!

Right behind you, Tennisgurl. Of course, w/ his fiendish mastermind, Cheddar might be the one who saves Kevin from Seamus.

• Love 7

I sometimes like Gina, but this show is really better off without her. I just have no idea why everyone worships her so much. 

Well, the characters don't "worship" her - not all of them, anyway. Clearly Amy doesn't worship her, nor does Terry. And obviously, Hitchcock and Scully wanted their nap room back, breast pumping be damned. So at least there's some acknowledgement that not all of her co-workers are cool with the shit she pulls. Still, the writers seem to love her, and I tend to agree the character can be really grating. She's sort of an over-the-top absurd character that seems suitable to this kind of show on paper but she lacks the endearing qualities the other absurd characters have.

I get a kick out of her antics once in awhile, but I did not miss her, and the show worked just fine without her.

• Love 3

How can the show runners fail to see that Gina ruins everything?

I was in disbelief when they brought her back, when Jake had just said how everyone's terrified of Rosa. They should have let her go get them their internet back! While Gina was sitting on her couch berating Amy about being loud, I wanted to smack something. 

I couldn't believe Holt kept saying, over and over, how he had fulfilled his part of the deal. I hope maybe he was taping it to use against Seamus some day, because otherwise that seems stupid. 

• Love 6

Char-les.

I kind of wish in the scene where Charles is saying bye to Rosa and tripping all over himself that he doesn't mean bi, that they had built it around Bye Bye Bye by nsync. But that's the teenager in me talking.

Singing someone's first and last name over and over again always sounds better with a guitar accompaniment.

Not only is it nice to see Rosa's "softer" side with her parents, and that there are things in life she is afraid of, but also how far she's come with her privacy. In earlier seasons, she didn't even want her friends to know where she lived, and now she's happy that they're coming over and going to keep coming over (except for her toilet, I guess).

How in the world does the Diaz family normally do Game Night? They only had four people, with Jake this time. How do they do this with three people?  Danny Trejo is a one-person team?  Makes sense.

• Love 2

Gina’s character is the only one that doesn’t ring true to me, plus her physical comedy falls flat. Even Scully and Hitchcock are old style city cops that you really might run into. 

Mr MML loved Rosa’s storyline but frankly and obviously alone in this, I miss the old Rosa from the first season who would have deadpanned a f*ckoff to anyone who questioned her lifestyle. She’s sort of morphed into Amy. I want my hardass Rosa back! Now her parents—100 percent perfect.

Really, I should have known that they would get Danny Trejo to play Rosa's father.  Because there really would have been no other acceptable casting choice.

Enjoyed both episodes, but I really loved the first one.  I thought they did an excellent job with Rosa coming out to her parents and less then perfect reaction to it. Also like how they have the parents on different positions on the path to accepting her, and going a bit in an unexpected way, with the hardass father being more supportive then the more openly loving mother (likely because it sounds like she really is obsessed over wanting Rosa to get married and have children.)  All of the scenes were great, and Stephanie Beatriz and Trejo were fantastic.  Also loved Jake's involvement and how supportive he was, even when he was getting dragged into awkward, uncomfortable situations.  And that final moment with Rosa and Holt.  Yeah, this was one of my favorite storylines this season.

Of course, the other big news was Gina finally returning.  And it went the way I expected.  I chuckled a few times, but really, I just find her too mean to really enjoy anymore.  In particular, it was painfully annoying watch Amy of all people talking about how they'll miss her and kissing her ass.  Maybe Amy's a secret masochist.  That's the only answer I'll accept at this point.  And of course they have her be the one that somehow makes the cyber guy cower in fear, even though Rosa would have made way more sense.  At least the second episode was better since they had Terry flat-out call her out and she even actually seem to act like she felt guilt about lying him.  Sure, they explained it way about it being her struggles with being a new mother, but I guess for her character, this is progress.

Any fangirling over forms is classic Amy.  Loved seeing the Amy/Rosa pairing again.

The Nine-Nine thwarted Seamus' plan, but now he basically declaring war on Holt by threatening Kevin.  Seamus must be destroyed!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

Char-les.

That's what I thought he said! HA! I loved how Jake deduced who everyone's Secret Santa was.

3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I chuckled a few times, but really, I just find her too mean to really enjoy anymore. 

I completely agree. She's mean to Amy just to be mean. Why? What did Amy do to her? She's snarky just to be snarky. I wish, and still hope, that she will change a little because of being a mom. I guess her whole personality can't change. Maybe the best I can hope for is that her character will work part-time so she can be with her baby.

But I loved the rest of it. Danny Trejo was perfect as Rosa's dad. I don't know the name of actress who played her mom, but I've seen her before, and she was a good fit, too. I'm glad, for realism's sake, that they didn't accept Rosa at first, and even now the mother is having a hard time accepting it. 

The internet thing was weird. I missed why the Cyber Unit was suddenly controlling access. I loved Holt shaking the guy's elbow.

Guy: Is that a wink?
Amy: You tell me.
Guy: I honestly don't know.

Holt: Now that you've accepted our meat pile…

When Gina says she's running a sports league for other people's pets, the way Holt says, "Ohhhh" cracked me up.

Loved the whole running gag about The Godfather being the Diane Keaton movie and then how they kept referring to Kyle as Diane Keaton's brother-in-law. And Kyle! I loved him. Such a dum-dum.

Charles: Ooo, Jake's wheels are turning. Your brain baby's crowning.
Holt: Boyle, that's disgusting.
Jake: No, it's helping. I AM having a brain baby.
Holt: Then push, man, push.
Charles: Breathe. [hoooo hooo]
Holt: You can do this. You are so strong.

Charles: Guy's got more bugs up his sleeve than Oogie Boogie.
Jake: Don't get the reference.
Charles: Nightmare Before Christmas.
Jake: Oh!

Seamus: If you ever want to do business again, my door is always open.
Holt: Well you should close it. Lest you get… moths. Good day.

Holt: Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bowl of mush to enjoy.

Holt saying he's proud of Jake, and Jake getting emotional was sweet and funny.

I have to say that I was distracted by how much the Seamus actor reminds me of Brett Ratner.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Cranberry said:

You know, I never really had a problem with Gina... until she was gone and I realized how nice the group’s dynamic was without her particular brand of arrogance and cruelty. I was disappointed to see her back.

19 hours ago, Mystery said:

How can the show runners fail to see that Gina ruins everything?

I was in disbelief when they brought her back, when Jake had just said how everyone's terrified of Rosa. They should have let her go get them their internet back! While Gina was sitting on her couch berating Amy about being loud, I wanted to smack something.

Agree; they could have used Rosa as the "person everyone is afraid of". I think I would be more afraid of Rosa than Gina anyway.  Gina's absence just shows how much the show didn't need her character.

• Love 8
On 12/12/2017 at 9:26 PM, Mockingbird said:

Side-eying the writers forever for teasing Gina’s departure but then bringing her back. That was cruel. Almost as cruel as Gina was immediately to Amy.

I love the writers if they are super-aware that a segment of the fanbase doesn't like Gina and everything was written to maximize trolling the hell out of those viewers.  (Maybe I like her because I enjoy being mean to people?)

• Love 3

I would hope that the writers wouldn't try to troll some fans, on the show's potential last season. I can't see them being like, "well the show is already not doing that well in ratings, now lets aim to make some people mad" lol.

Edited by betweenthebanter
  • Love 3
On 12/13/2017 at 8:45 AM, Cranberry said:

All of the Rosa stuff was sweet. It was sad seeing her so worried and vulnerable, and I’m glad her work family was there for her. I like how this show highlights important stuff like LGBT and race-related issues with humour and without making it feel like the characters are standing on a soapbox. Jake gets all kinds of little asides about trans people in prison or gun control, and they always hit.

Yeah, I could really do without Gina's constant bashing of Amy. Especially now with Jake and Amy engaged. Funny how Gina doesn't attack Amy nearly as much when Jake isn't around. Her dynamic with Terry in The Favor was a lot better, because at least Terry is allowed to call out Gina on her bad behavior. But it reminds me of why I wasn't a fan of late-season Ron Swanson in Parks--there were too many times when he always got to be in the right. It's also like when April would make fun of Ben on Parks, I never enjoyed that either. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

That's what I thought he said! HA! I loved how Jake deduced who everyone's Secret Santa was.

I completely agree. She's mean to Amy just to be mean. Why? What did Amy do to her? She's snarky just to be snarky. I wish, and still hope, that she will change a little because of being a mom. I guess her whole personality can't change. Maybe the best I can hope for is that her character will work part-time so she can be with her baby.

But I loved the rest of it. Danny Trejo was perfect as Rosa's dad. I don't know the name of actress who played her mom, but I've seen her before, and she was a good fit, too. I'm glad, for realism's sake, that they didn't accept Rosa at first, and even now the mother is having a hard time accepting it. 

The internet thing was weird. I missed why the Cyber Unit was suddenly controlling access. I loved Holt shaking the guy's elbow.

Guy: Is that a wink?
Amy: You tell me.
Guy: I honestly don't know.

Holt: Now that you've accepted our meat pile…

When Gina says she's running a sports league for other people's pets, the way Holt says, "Ohhhh" cracked me up.

Loved the whole running gag about The Godfather being the Diane Keaton movie and then how they kept referring to Kyle as Diane Keaton's brother-in-law. And Kyle! I loved him. Such a dum-dum.

Charles: Ooo, Jake's wheels are turning. Your brain baby's crowning.
Holt: Boyle, that's disgusting.
Jake: No, it's helping. I AM having a brain baby.
Holt: Then push, man, push.
Charles: Breathe. [hoooo hooo]
Holt: You can do this. You are so strong.

Charles: Guy's got more bugs up his sleeve than Oogie Boogie.
Jake: Don't get the reference.
Charles: Nightmare Before Christmas.
Jake: Oh!

Seamus: If you ever want to do business again, my door is always open.
Holt: Well you should close it. Lest you get… moths. Good day.

Holt: Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bowl of mush to enjoy.

Holt saying he's proud of Jake, and Jake getting emotional was sweet and funny.

I have to say that I was distracted by how much the Seamus actor reminds me of Brett Ratner.

Cyber crimes so they “needed more bandwidth” per their response. Mainly they were just dicks.

• Love 1
On 12/13/2017 at 1:32 PM, sweetandsour said:

How in the world does the Diaz family normally do Game Night? They only had four people, with Jake this time. How do they do this with three people?  Danny Trejo is a one-person team?  Makes sense.

There are plenty of games that can be played with only three people. Maybe they played Pictionary because they had four people this time.

10 minutes in to the first episode and I'm already sick of Gina.

• Love 1

I know I'm way in the minority here, but I'm one of the three or four people in the world who doesn't find Gina unspeakably horrible as a sitcom character (as opposed to what she'd be in real life). Everyone else at the 99 is, you know, nice. Even Rosa when she lets her guard down. And Hitchcock and Scully may be hopeless slackers but they're friendly to everyone. Not only does Gina provide some balance to all that niceness, I think she also represents to the showrunners a certain type of stereotypical New Yorker -- loud, arrogant, in your face -- that seems to me to have a role as a stock character in a sitcom set in NYC.

Of course the rest of you should feel free to mute your TVs when she comes on...

• Love 7
5 hours ago, tominboston said:

I know I'm way in the minority here, but I'm one of the three or four people in the world who doesn't find Gina unspeakably horrible as a sitcom character (as opposed to what she'd be in real life). Everyone else at the 99 is, you know, nice. Even Rosa when she lets her guard down. And Hitchcock and Scully may be hopeless slackers but they're friendly to everyone. Not only does Gina provide some balance to all that niceness, I think she also represents to the showrunners a certain type of stereotypical New Yorker -- loud, arrogant, in your face -- that seems to me to have a role as a stock character in a sitcom set in NYC.

I think all of that is absolutely fair comment, and I also think you needn't feel in such a small minority on the subject; I get the impression that Gina is liked more in viewership at large than in our tight-knit PTV forums here.

• Love 3

Count me as another person  who never disliked Gina .....until she was gone, and I realized how much better the show is without her.  If for no other reason than the fact that they stopped doing C-plots while she was gone. One less character to service.

And we got more Scully and Hitchcock.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Love 13
On 12/15/2017 at 10:29 PM, Kip Hackman said:

Count me as another person  who never disliked Gina .....until she was gone, and I realized how much better the show is without her.  If for no other reason than the fact that they stopped doing C-plots while she was gone. One less character to service.

And we got more Scully and Hitchcock.

The quote box won't let me out, so here' my comment.  I was shocked to realize how much I like Scully and HItchcock, who we didn't get to know as well when Gina was around.  I'm already planning to miss them when she's back.

• Love 3

I didn't particularly mind Gina in The Favour - although it does raise a lot of questions about the timeline of her pregnancy and the prison story that she only gave birth 10 weeks ago. But, where I'm from she's not only legally entitled to a space to pump but up to 52 weeks of maternity leave, so that C-plot was less about Gina being difficult than it was an indictment of America's anti-woman, anti-family labour practices.

9 minutes ago, dusang said:

But, where I'm from she's not only legally entitled to a space to pump but up to 52 weeks of maternity leave, so that C-plot was less about Gina being difficult than it was an indictment of America's anti-woman, anti-family labour practices

She is legally entitled to break time and a space to pump in the US as well.

I didn't particularly mind Gina in The Favour - although it does raise a lot of questions about the timeline of her pregnancy and the prison story that she only gave birth 10 weeks ago.

I was also trying to figure out the timeline. Fake Charles, when pretending to be Gina, said "she" hadn't washed her hair in 3 weeks on Halloween, so figure Iggy was born around October 10. Which would put Game Night around mid-late December, which fits in with the Secret Santa cold open. Given that Jake and Rosa were in prison for 8 weeks, and that at the end of Kickz Jake feels he needs more time before leaving desk duty, I think they were in jail throughout August and September and got released about late September. IIRC, they had been in prison at least a few weeks by the start of the season. So figure Gina started maternity leave maybe 6 weeks before she gave birth? 

The B99 timeline is tricky to figure out because twice they've skipped 6 months between season finales and premieres, yet everyone is always back in place by Halloween. In this case, I think we also have to assume that Jake and Rosa's trial really took a couple of months.

Yet somehow this isn't as confusing as Season 3 of Parks and Recreation, AKA the season that skips winter entirely. Or maybe it's spring. 

Edited by scrambled eggs
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, scrambled eggs said:

Yet somehow this isn't as confusing as Season 3 of Parks and Recreation, AKA the season that skips winter entirely. 

They had shot six episodes when they found out they were going on hiatus until the spring. So no winter episodes. 

On 12/13/2017 at 5:57 AM, festivus said:

You know who's been stealing the show for me lately though? Hitchcock. There has been just the perfect amount of Hitchcock.

For me too! I thought it was just because last summer I watched Bonanza for the first time. I'd read (probably here) that Dirk Blocker is an absolute doppelganger for his father, but experiencing it is kind of fascinating. The exact same eyes/facial structure/facial expressions... but on Bonanza the Cartwrights are so perpetually pure that every woman they look at dies, while Hitchcock always gets the lewdest, most lascivious lines.

So as I said, I thought I was just noticing Hitchcock lately because of my other TV-watching adventures. Then Hitchcock announced that he wanted to humiliate some hussies in a hurry and I realized that the show is really on a roll with him.

• Love 5