Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Game Night / S05.E11: The Favor

• Start Topic

And now, I can happily say that I'm finally all caught up, with plenty of time to spare. Which is going to super disappoint me if this show is cancelled.

Anyway, back to the episodes. I really loved the Rosa plot for the first episode. I'm not even mad that Jake was there. I knew someone had to be there, and since Jake not only is close with Rosa but also the main character who gets almost all of the A plots, I didn't expect anyone else. He was also the perfect person to be there. Rosa's parents would have probably shut Boyle down, Gina was needed for the B plot, and anyone else wouldn't have been as believable. Plus, a reminder that Jake and Rosa have known each other for many years, so the fact that Jake actually has met her parents before was a very nice touch. I do love the supportiveness of the entire precinct, though no surprise there. Holt created a good dynamic with the precinct, for sure. I even loved Hitchcock wanting to ask Rosa a question, got shot down, and acknowledged that it was the right call.

Danny Trejo as Rosa's father? Since I've been seeing him quite a bit these last few months on my screen, I am totally pleased with the casting choice. He fit right in as Rosa's father. Plus, he even is taking the time to be supportive of his daughter, even if Rosa's mom isn't there yet. I think it's more realistic with there being a struggle with acceptance, especially in the older generation. It's just good to see the chance to change from Rosa's father. 

Gina's return annoyed me for the first episode. She was just plain mean to Amy; it felt like they overloaded on it because of her return back, when Gina usually doesn't go all in on the Amy hate; it's usually just a few comments here and there, not an entire scene of it.

Also, the Holt/Rosa hug was very nice. He doesn't give out hugs much, if at all, and he's never given out a genuine hug like that, so it was great.

Now, for the second episode. 

I really enjoyed The Godfather scene, with Boyle making it simple for Holt to follow with Diane Keaton's relatives. It made me laugh how Jake was getting slightly offended by it. I also loved Rosa and Amy going to the SAPO to get the permit and her brain broke with the contradicting forms. Oh boy, how many times I've run into similar problems in my life.

The fact that Hitchcock knew so much about breast pumps also creeped me out, like Terry. I didn't actually find Gina awful here. Once they tone down on her mean comments, she's not as bad of a character and I can actually tolerate her. And the fact that she left work because she missed her daughter? That was kind of endearing.

I also want to say how much I like they're using Hitchcock this season. It seems like they've put good use out of Scully the last few seasons, so I'm glad they're showing some more love toward Hitchcock. I loved him going with Rosa and Amy to help file that permit.

No! Don't threaten Kevin! Now I'm worried about Holt and Kevin. 

• Love 4
On 12/13/2017 at 0:00 PM, iMonrey said:

She's sort of an over-the-top absurd character that seems suitable to this kind of show on paper but she lacks the endearing qualities the other absurd characters have.

She would work a lot better on Parks & Recreation or The Good Place. Not here.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:39 PM, scrambled eggs said:

I wasn't a fan of late-season Ron Swanson in Parks--there were too many times when he always got to be in the right. It's also like when April would make fun of Ben on Parks, I never enjoyed that either. 

See above.

On 12/16/2017 at 10:48 AM, dusang said:

she's not only legally entitled to a space to pump but up to 52 weeks of maternity leave

She was given a place to pump, compete with mini-fridge, but that wasn't good enough for Gina -- she has to take over the common room, so no one else can use it except her greedy, entitled ass.  If it causes problems for other people, that's just icing on the cake for her.

On 12/26/2017 at 8:06 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Gina was needed for the B plot

Except -- she wasn't.  At all.  That plot would have worked much better with Rosa, as others have mentioned; it didn't need to be in this episode.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, jhlipton said:
On 12/13/2017 at 3:00 PM, iMonrey said:

She's sort of an over-the-top absurd character that seems suitable to this kind of show on paper but she lacks the endearing qualities the other absurd characters have.

She would work a lot better on Parks & Recreation or The Good Place. Not here.

NO!!  I can't stand Gina.  Don't let her muck up my beloved Good Place!!

• Love 8
On 12/28/2017 at 8:10 PM, Ailianna said:

I love The Good Place as is, and I don't think they need anyone more abrasive than Vickie.  

Lol, no worries. You KNOW that Gina would go straight to the actual good place, completely undeserved, because that’s how things work out for Gina: she’s cruel, selfish, and lazy, but gets rewarded every time. She’d never end up in the bad place struggling against her worst instincts like Eleanor, Tahani, and the rest because there’s no such thing as consequences for Gina.

• Love 11

I feel like such a heel because I hate that Rosa is bisexual. It's just, I loved that there was an awesome, kick-ass, not traditionally girly, woman on a show that was actually straight. Except she isn't. I guess the stereotype/trope wins out again.

Gina is the worst! Seriously, it's been so wonderful without her.

Edited by Silverglitter
  • Love 3
On 12/28/2017 at 10:17 AM, jhlipton said:

She was given a place to pump, compete with mini-fridge, but that wasn't good enough for Gina -- she has to take over the common room, so no one else can use it except her greedy, entitled ass.  If it causes problems for other people, that's just icing on the cake for her.

She didn't take over the common room -- she was in a vacant office that Hitchcock & Scully were using for naps.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Silverglitter said:

I feel like such a heel because I hate that Rosa is bisexual. It's just, I loved that there was an awesome, kick-ass, not traditionally girly, woman on a show that was actually straight. Except she isn't. I guess the stereotype/trope wins out again.

Yes, I know what you mean.  I was disappointed too.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2017 at 8:21 PM, MaryMitch said:

Agree; they could have used Rosa as the "person everyone is afraid of". I think I would be more afraid of Rosa than Gina anyway.  Gina's absence just shows how much the show didn't need her character.

I am really not a fan of Gina (really, really not), but I think she worked better for this joke than Rosa would have. This is because Rosa, with her natural kick*** demeanor would naturally be someone to be afraid of. Where Gina, with her weird, girly exterior is not someone who would expect to be scary so it is funny people are frightened by her. In other words, I hate her, but I think she worked better for the Cyber crime story than Rosa would have. 

• Love 2