Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And why oh why did Alex have to do an accent when reading the Huck Finn clue? It was awful and unnecessary.

This! If I hadn't known the answer, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what kind of accent he was supposed to be doing.

I'm shocked no one brought up that Michelle should've gotten a BMS for her Carson answer. Johnny? Kit?

I also think she should've had to give Shoeless Joe JACKSON as her answer in that clue. But that's just me being picky.

Edited by SHD
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, Bazinga said:

The clue was "Despite his nickname, this leftfielder for the 1919 Chicago "Black Sox" didn't usually play barefoot."

The accepted response was "Shoeless Joe," which is the nickname mentioned in the clue but not what the clue is seeking-this leftfielder.  The right response should be Shoeless Joe Jackson or Joe Jackson.  Shoeless Joe is not correct, IMO.  Should have asked for more or been called wrong.

Totally agree, I was really annoyed they accepted the partial answer.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, teebax said:

*Short story time: A friend from Philly called me one morning at my office in Tucson. She was traveling to Hawaii and had a layover in Phoenix. She wanted to know if I'd meet her there for lunch. I told her just with travel time it'd be a foue hour lunch for me. She apparently thought the two cities were closer together. 

Some people just don't get geography. We were living in the San Francisco Bay Area when a college friend of my husband's (from the midwest) called and said she and her husband were going to be in LA and they'd like to meet us for dinner. Sure, let's just gas up the lear jet.

Our digital antenna blew it yesterday, so no Jeopardy for us. :(

• Love 10
8 hours ago, SHD said:

This! If I hadn't known the answer, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what kind of accent he was supposed to be doing.

For a second I thought it was Forrest Gump.

• Love 3

One last annoyance about Michelle, the serious question in her voice when she answered A Tale of Two Cities in the Novel First Lines category.  As if there's a chance in hell that this category won't include "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."  That is THE first line question in any first line quiz.  "Call me Ishmael" fans might disagree, but still -- to say it like she had any doubt it was correct.  Sheesh, lady!

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Some people just don't get geography. We were living in the San Francisco Bay Area when a college friend of my husband's (from the midwest) called and said she and her husband were going to be in LA and they'd like to meet us for dinner. Sure, let's just gas up the lear jet.

My sister (who lives in SLC now, but grew up in Chicago (where we live)) said that she was going to be at a conference for a week in Connecticut and wanted us to drive over for a few days--like it was just around the corner. I told: "No. If we were going to do that, we might as well drive to SLC instead to see her". She hadn't realized it was that far away!

• Love 2
(edited)
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Funny, I disliked Michelle more today, but that was mostly because of her intro.

I knew she would be ranked on for that. People forget that we are seeing this episode 24 HOURS later while it was taped approximately 24 MINUTES after her becoming the surprise new champ. She was still gobsmacked, and I don't blame her for letting us know her mind was "blown."

19 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I also think Vincent was cheated on the rice paddy answer.  He said paddies, realized his mistake instantly, tried to say paddy, but Alex immediately shouted, "No!" and let Bryan answer it.  The other day, Alex let someone give what seemed like 42 answers before they gave the correct one.  Sheesh!  Oh! And that Carson answer should have required a BMS.  Kit Carson anyone?!  /rant over

A big old WORD to this. WTH Trebek, you let other contestants play $100,000 Pyramid when answering, but you cut Vincent off and shut him down when he clearly was going to say "paddy"? Or does Trebek only cut slack to women players? There's a thought ...

19 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

DVR snafu and I missed Jeopardy tonight. 

Whole day ruined.  

Make your Saturday better and watch on YouTube. Meanwhile, have a great and safe vaca.

15 hours ago, SHD said:

It was his "rednayck rube hick from the south so ah caint speak no kurrect ainglish" accent because everyone from a southern state is a moron, right?

Shout out to Teebax for the TS of Tucson. I caught it!

Vincent lives just a couple hours from me, but unlike others here, I could care less if a player lives down the road from me. I didn't care who won. Then Vincent got that gutsy bold DD, then he made me LOL with his fingers-over-mouth bleep. So I was okay with him being the new champ. FJ was so easy, the person who was ahead was going to win this game.

Then ... WTH? I'm sure he will never EVER forget that big fail. I felt sorry for him. I've misinterpreted clues before and felt stupid, and I'm sitting here at home. If that happened to me on national tv, and everyone everywhere is making fun of me on social media, I would have to change my name, move into a box under an overpass and become a drug-addicted alcoholic. And still it would haunt me.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

Maybe he's still got a crush on Sagan and has to mention him whenever he can. <shrug> (only explanation I can figure, no matter how far-fetched.)

I guffawed at the "Who is Carson" after I yelled "KIT?" at the TV.  And, yeah, the Huck Finn accent was atrocious.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Make your Saturday better and watch on YouTube. Meanwhile, have a great and safe vaca.

I missed it too, and it sounds like it was one worth watching.  Is it just on regular YouTube?  Does it take a while to be there?  When I did a search for "jeopardy" the most recent one was from a few days ago.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I missed it too, and it sounds like it was one worth watching.  Is it just on regular YouTube?  Does it take a while to be there?  When I did a search for "jeopardy" the most recent one was from a few days ago.

I've found the new episode posted as soon as one hour after it airs here, and that's 4:30 p.m. Go to YouTube.com and search "Jeopardy episode July 13 2018." That should locate it for you.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I've found the new episode posted as soon as one hour after it airs here, and that's 4:30 p.m. Go to YouTube.com and search "Jeopardy episode July 13 2018." That should locate it for you.

Weird, I just tried that.  With quotes around the whole thing, it got no results.  With no quotes, it got a lot of episodes with some matching pieces (13, or July, or 2018...) but not the one I'm looking for.  I'll try it out in a day or so, or try another browser...  Thanks though.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bliss said:

Michelle's looks remind me of what would result if they put Andie MacDowell and Mary Steenburgen in a machine that spit out a blended version.

Yes! I always get them confused until I hear their voice. Steenburgen = whiney & MacDowell = monotone mumbling. But I like them both as actresses. Go figure. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Weird, I just tried that.  With quotes around the whole thing, it got no results.  With no quotes, it got a lot of episodes with some matching pieces (13, or July, or 2018...) but not the one I'm looking for.  I'll try it out in a day or so, or try another browser...  Thanks though.

The first time I tried that, back in June, it didn't work for me. So I was skeptical today - but it worked (don't use quotes, though). The person/entity who put this up was PodCastJeopardy!, so maybe you can search for that.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Driad said:

Searching Youtube for Jeopardy July 13 2018 -- 

Thanks Driad for posting that easy peasy video, right here for everyone! After some reported problems finding yesterday's show, I searched and found several links for the July 2 episode with the headline: "Scott McFadden Wins $78,401!" Interestingly, no other contestant got headlined that I could find. So, congrats Scott.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

The first time I tried that, back in June, it didn't work for me. So I was skeptical today - but it worked (don't use quotes, though). The person/entity who put this up was PodCastJeopardy!, so maybe you can search for that.

I thought I posted, but it don't see it... anyway, searching now has brought up the episode & I was able to watch it.  Thanks all.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Bliss said:

Michelle's looks remind me of what would result if they put Andie MacDowell and Mary Steenburgen in a machine that spit out a blended version.

I actually think she looks like Andrea Martin...

• Love 3
On 7/14/2018 at 6:54 PM, saber5055 said:

Thanks Driad for posting that easy peasy video, right here for everyone! After some reported problems finding yesterday's show, I searched and found several links for the July 2 episode with the headline: "Scott McFadden Wins $78,401!" Interestingly, no other contestant got headlined that I could find. So, congrats Scott.

Interesting.  That's weird because, as you say, most YouTube episodes just give the airdate, and don't mention any names.  There are several people in the comments complaining that it's a spoiler.  It isn't, really, since that's the amount I started with in that episode, but I can understand people thinking otherwise.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, that's a great link Scott. Plus explains why Vincent wrote Carl Sagan. Thanks for posting. Glad they are letting him come back. Now he doesn't have to become a drug-addicted alcoholic living in a box on Lower Wacker.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10

Thanks for posting that. Like saber5055 said, it's good news for Vincent (and us fans) AND it explains his answer. I wish I hadn't deleted my recording of the show because I wanted to check to see if it said "His slang" or if that was corrected for broadcast.

• Love 4

Great news! I knew there had to be a reason and I actually was impressed with the way he kept coming back. It still is not the same to me when they bring people back I mean he would have won that game

• Love 4

And, in today's installment of inconsistent answer acceptance....Champ says "Tom's Cruises", Alex says "No". As he is finishing the "o" part of "No", she corrects it to "Tom's Cruise", which is immediately accepted by Alex. I was under the impression that once Alex says "No", you are officially incorrect, even if you immediately correct it. Didn't we just have a contestant in the same situation ruled "incorrect"?

• Love 15

I checked to ensure I haven't been spelling momento wrong my entire life. How was that in the "me, me" category? Is there an alternative spelling? 

My gets were boot camp, machine gun, Booker T Washington, and Nutcracker. I missed FJ. 

2 minutes ago, illdoc said:

And, in today's installment of inconsistent answer acceptance....Champ says "Tom's Cruises", Alex says "No". As he is finishing the "o" part of "No", she corrects it to "Tom's Cruise", which is immediately accepted by Alex. I was under the impression that once Alex says "No", you are officially incorrect, even if you immediately correct it. Didn't we just have a contestant in the same situation ruled "incorrect"?

I meant to mention this as well. That should've stayed incorrect. 

• Love 5

“Who is Marley?”

I don’t know, who is he?  Because he had a passel of kids and it could have been one of them.

For The Office clue I blurted out “Michael Scott!” 

The champ lady is very pretty, and since she is the champ I am giving her a side eye for “Republican Party” in the category Four Four.

State Capitals for last?!?  WTF.

Alex.  Stop your damn nonsense.  IF THEY ARE TOO YOUNG FOR WORLD WAR II SLANG THEY SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING JEOPARDY! and yes I know they don’t have firsthand knowledge of WWII but they didn’t know George Washington Carver personally, DID THEY?

Wow.  Way to pile on that guy for getting the DD’s incorrect. Sheesh.

• Love 13

Great @Scott!  Great link!  Glad to know that Vincent isn’t quite as clueless as we thought.  However, I was completely clueless for FJ today, and I guess Michelle’s creative wagering paid off.

I was shouting “Nutcracker”! at my TV for that last DD.  Too bad he couldn’t hear me.  I also got boot camp, infantryman, machine gun, and WPA.

I miss the BMS, especially tonight, with all the surnames as responses.  Marley in particular needed one.

• Love 5
(edited)

Michelle's small wager paid off for her this game.

Tomorrow will be interesting seeing 3 time Champion Michelle facing returning 4 time Champion Ryan Fenster who is getting a 2nd chance due to show saying one of his daily double should have been accepted or something and it may have cost him that game since he was the only one who got fj in that game but was locked out due to losing alot of his money on that DD.

Edited by SuperCam1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Mojoween said pretty much everything I was going to say. The players are TOO YOUNG to know WWII, yet the next category was about a man who died in 1943, yet they aren't TOO YOUNG to know George Washington Carver? STFU Trebek, you are so irritating.

THEN ... Michelle answers "Tom's Cruises," Trebek says "NO!" but she says "Cruise" anyway and Trebek lets her have the win and the money? The hell, show, that sucks so badly after Trebek's beat down of Vincent when he tried to say "paddy" and you wouldn't let him. That day I posted maybe Trebek only lets women get by with this extra credit stuff. Today I say the same thing.

Then Michelle's FJ answer of Jolliet was so dumbass. He was Canadian and explored the freaking Mississippi River which is in the center of Flat Land America. There are no seas to see on either side, unless you want to walk (in those days) for four or five months (or more) east or west. At least Cortez was a good guess if you are going to pull some explorer's name out of thin air. But Jolliet/Joliet ... she might as well have said Carl Sagan.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10

FJ was either Magellan or Balboa.  I guess Cortez was OK.  Jolliet? 

Michelle annoys me with her answers.  Others have done it before too, but inflection of every answer, the leaning in and the way she states them, as if asking if they are correct and waiting for the reaction for Alex, basically, is annoying.  Once in awhile, sure, you are guessing, understandable.  But she does it on every single answer she gives. 

• Love 12
(edited)

Cortez was at least a good guess. I was really stuck. You guys would have been ragging on me for my wild guess of Columbus. I did pretty well on the stumpers today. I got boot camp, infantryman, machine gun, WPA, Pius XII and nutcracker. Maybe they make up at least a  little for my whiff on FJ.

Michelle is growing on me. She's pretty and I love her hair.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SuperCam1 said:

.....facing returning 4 time Champion Ryan Fenster who is getting a 2nd chance.....

I'll be rooting for him.  Unless he also annoyed me the first time, in which case, go jeptestant #3.  If they're annoying, I'm SOL.

My gets were boot camp, Jefferson City, (Pope) Pius, and Nutcracker.  No idea for FJ.  

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

“Who is Marley?”

I don’t know, who is he?  Because he had a passel of kids and it could have been one of them.

That bugged me too. Ziggy, Stephen, and Damian all have successful music careers and those 3 are only the ones I'm personally aware of.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Wow.  Way to pile on that guy for getting the DD’s incorrect. Sheesh.

I'm glad the dude handled it well. Shut up, Alex.

30 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

FJ was either Magellan or Balboa. 

I unfortunately went with Magellan. For TS I got boot camp, Richard the Lionheart, and Booker T Washington and the missed easy-peasy Nutcracker (and I only say that because I never get the ballet clues but I got that one).

I don't remember Ryan. Praying he wasn't annoying... Wait, he's not the puppy abandoner, is he??

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 7
49 minutes ago, Kathira said:

You guys would have been ragging on me for my wild guess of Columbus.

That's a better guess than Jolliet.

24 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I don't remember Ryan. Praying he wasn't annoying... Wait, he's not the puppy abandoner, is he??

Oh, please no. I hope not.

• Love 3

On the "see the other ocean" question, I was thinking "Lewis and Clark" and then I saw the 1513 date -- I had nuthin'. 

You can really see both oceans from a mountain in Panama?  Dang. 

Sometimes this show makes me feel kinda smart.  Not today!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

In other news, Alex has an extensive knowledge of types of archery equipment. Good for him!

HA! Thanks for the laugh. Yes, Alex had to show that he knows bows.

I got machine gun, Pius, and Nutcracker. I also said Richard the Lion Hearted, so I guess I actually got that wrong unless I could correct myself before Alex finished saying, "NO!"

• Love 8