Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

once he kept staying pretty close to her especially in most categories I kind of knew that she might be in trouble.   Once again it came down to the wagering. I cannot believe I missed felon, but I was all over root beer floats and in general that entire category!

2 minutes ago, Kathira said:

Poor Lauren. Done in by a tough FJ. I guessed Nixon, too. She bet correctly, to beat Wes if he was right and doubled his score. Sometimes you just can't win.

I also got World of Dance, ketchup, debate and brigantine, which was a pre-guess as soon as I saw the category of "brig."

I can't believe they all missed ketchup

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was sure it was Teddy Roosevelt - and really, was only about a month off.

I am perpetually forgetting that FDR died while in office.

I thought it was Teddy Roosevelt, was pretty sure, I knew McKinley died pretty early in his term. 

Then decided it must by Tyler, forgetting he only served one term

So I didn't know. 

What is it with Truman lately?  Some writer must love him.  This is two final jeopardies in a short period of time centered around Truman. 

3 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Did anyone else hear Wes introduced as "a stand-up comic and storyteller" and think UH OH? Because I totally did. But he is not annoying, at least so far!

I didn't really understand his book

Or at least the example he gave.  Why would he cut off your toe so your friend loses an eye?  I am missing something there?  Or was it you cut off a toe so a friend doesn't lose an eye?

I've heard things like would you cut off a friend's toe to get $1million (and of course you would, you just do it and split the money), but I don't get the point of his question, or I heard it wrong? 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Did anyone else hear Wes introduced as "a stand-up comic and storyteller" and think UH OH? Because I totally did. But he is not annoying, at least so far!

Yep!  I cringed and feared he'd be an Austin wannabe.  He seems relatively okay, though.

I'm sorry Lauren lost.  I was hoping for a long run.

I got ketchup, Briggs & Stratton, moose, and Delaware (DD).

For FJ, I guessed LBJ but didn't think the length of time was correct.

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

I didn't really understand his book

Or at least the example he gave.  Why would he cut off your toe so your friend loses an eye?  I am missing something there?  Or was it you cut off a toe so a friend doesn't lose an eye?

I've heard things like would you cut off a friend's toe to get $1million (and of course you would, you just do it and split the money), but I don't get the point of his question, or I heard it wrong? 

It's the latter. Would you rather lose a toe or let your friend lose an eye? It's kind of like the train dilemma--would you rather run over one person standing on the tracks or let the train jump the tracks and kill multiple people? What if the one person was your child? (I hate questions like that--I can see Wes's point that they can make for really awkward car rides.)

22 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I did--I was afraid he would start doing some of his act, but he didn't.

40 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I was waiting for King Henry Died By Drinking Chocolate Milk to show up in the mnemonics category.  I guess I spend more time with fifth graders than the writers.  I'm still bummed that Pluto got demoted and screwed up that mnemonic. 

I had to look this one up; I saw it referred to the metric system, but what does that have to do with Pluto? (You may be thinking of My Very Energetic Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles. Now she serves Nachos.) Has anyone ever heard of No Plan Like Yours to Study History Wisely to remember the British monarchies, or Can Queen Victoria Eat Cold Apple Pie for the seven hills of Rome? 

22 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

What was the clue in the Mnemonics category that was pi?  Or is my brain fried from the heat?

I didn't understand that one either. I suspect it might be similar to the mnemonics described here.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

What was the clue in the Mnemonics category that was pi?  Or is my brain fried from the heat?

The words in the clue had the numbers of letters that corresponded with the digits in pi (3 letters, 1, 4, etc). It was weird and doesn't seem like a particularly catchy mnemonic.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Another thing old people might remember: Computer file names could only be 8 characters in length.

Oh god, I had a boss who named every file with the date. I CHANGED HIS LIFE when I suggested you could get something about the topic in there, even if it was just SUBJ0718.

My only problem with Wes was that both Johnny and Alex mispronounced the name of his hometown and he didn't correct them. 

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

My eyes rolled all the way to the back of my head. I FF through the stories but it didn't seem as though he told a goofy one, and he played well so shame on me! I'm sorry Lauren lost but I liked all 3 players.  

I got the World of Dance and ketchup TS and, thanks to a wild guess, the missed DD Delaware. I had no clue on FJ but thought maybe Teddy Roosevelt since he's a frequent Jeopardy clue.

• Love 5

Was I actually dreaming or did none of them know the mnemonic for the Great Lakes?  I'm starting to seriously doubt myself.  And please correct me if I'm wrong.  I know you will, gently  :-)

• Love 3

Really sorry to see Lauren go so soon. :( However, I like Wes, so congratulations to him. Stick around a while, Wes!

The only TS I got was ketchup. I thought that was pretty easy.

For FJ I said Truman, but I was sure I was wrong. I knew FDR died in his fourth term and that Truman served [nearly] two terms, but I was pretty sure that it was William Henry Harrison who died shortly after becoming President, and I thought it might be Tyler who succeeded him, but I didn't know if Tyler had two terms, so I stuck with Truman because there were too many if's in my second guess. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Was I actually dreaming or did none of them know the mnemonic for the Great Lakes?  I'm starting to seriously doubt myself.  And please correct me if I'm wrong.  I know you will, gently  :-)

Lauren knew it. It might have been a Daily Double. 

• Love 3

They knew the Great Lakes mnemonic but missed Lake Huron when one of the great lasted was asked, I think something about Saginaw. 

Also in regard to President Tyler, though not the FJ answer, it might have come up here before, but I find it remarkable he has grandchildren that are still alive, going on 200 years since her served as president. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Also in regard to President Tyler, though not the FJ answer, it might have come up here before, but I find it remarkable he has grandchildren that are still alive, going on 200 years since her served as president. 

How did I not know that?! That is so cool. According to this article https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2017-02-20/president-john-tyler-born-in-1790-still-has-2-living-grandsons , the US government is also still paying out a Civil War pension, to the daughter of a war vet. Fascinating.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

How did I not know that?! That is so cool. According to this article https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2017-02-20/president-john-tyler-born-in-1790-still-has-2-living-grandsons , the US government is also still paying out a Civil War pension, to the daughter of a war vet. Fascinating.

The last Civil War widow died in 2004 too. 

I said Teddy also for final. I knew he took over after McKinley and was re-elected. I didn't think McKinley was very far into his second term before he got shot. 

1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

Lauren knew it (HOMES). It might have been a Daily Double. 

Considering Lauren answered both the DD and the HOMES clue in the same category, I can see the confusion. HOMES, however, was not the Daily Double. It was the $1000 clue. The Daily Double Lauren got was Dead Gophers Before Easter (DGBE) for tuning a guitar. 

I'll miss Lauren as I liked her, but I don't mind Wes and it was a good strategy to bet nothing presuming Lauren would bet against the all-in and be wrong. Ray couldn't have overtaken him either although, if that were the case, I'm assuming Wes would have bet accordingly. 

• Love 3

Sorry to see Lauren go, and was surprised that she was a one-and-done after a great game Friday. But Wes seems fine, and he got a "good for you" <drink!> I, too, was nervous when he was introduced as a stand-up comic & storyteller, but he was all business during the game. 

TS I got were World of Dance, ketchup, debate, Captains Courageous. Neither Dr. Toothbrush nor I got FJ. He finally settled on Nixon, while I had a similar thought process to Ray's & chose an assassinated president, McKinley. 

Shout out to @CarpeDiem54 with the CO state flag. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

I was sure it was Teddy Roosevelt - and really, was only about a month off.

I am perpetually forgetting that FDR died while in office.

I thought of FDR, then of course dismissed him because he served longer than any president - but totally didn't follow that thought to Truman...sigh...

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

It's the latter. Would you rather lose a toe or let your friend lose an eye? It's kind of like the train dilemma--would you rather run over one person standing on the tracks or let the train jump the tracks and kill multiple people? What if the one person was your child? (I hate questions like that--I can see Wes's point that they can make for really awkward car rides.)

It's based on psychological tests - at least, we had a test like this in psychology class back in (cough74). It's a multiple choice test with seriously terrible choices, and you pick the one that's least awful. I remember part of one - would you rather be: a ground combat soldier, a B52 bomber pilot, (I forget the third). There was also a board game that was similar, but I forget what it was called. as I recall, you'd sort three "bad" cards, and the other players would try to guess which one you thought was worst.

• Love 2

I had a day to day desk calendar one year, Would You Rather, where the two choices were usually horrible  (Would you rather burn to death or freeze to death, things like that)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I was amused to see how many of you went "Oh, no, not a stand up comic" as I did when the champ was introduced.  Austin is going to haunt many of us for a long time....

Sorta enjoyed the mnemonics category, although I usually feel like the slacker student  Frasier is tutoring in one episode.  The kid says, "So now I have to learn two things to remember one thing?"

How did I not know he was a stand-up comic? I thought he was a bartender. I told him this that part, but then again I tend to skip the opening introduction and their interviews.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Shout out to @CarpeDiem54 with the CO state flag. 

?

7 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

How did I not know he was a stand-up comic? I thought he was a bartender. I told him this that part, but then again I tend to skip the opening introduction and their interviews.

Austin was a bartender but thought he was a stand-up comic.  He was wrong and wasn't amusing in the least.

• Love 7

I easily got the TS of World of Dance since I post in that PTV thread too. But oh, no, poor Ne-Yo got no recognition in that clue.

The TS of Briggs & Stratton told me that all three live in apartments or someone else mows their lawns as Briggs is THE engine for lawn mowers. I have to cut my own grass and repair the mowers/engines myself, so I easily got that one.

13 hours ago, Brookside said:

Was I actually dreaming or did none of them know the mnemonic for the Great Lakes?

I don't know any mnemonics nor was I ever taught them in school. IMO, it is a waste of time trying to remember some nonsense sentence when I can easily remember all the Great Lakes and the planets, in order. We have brains, people.

1 hour ago, opus said:

I had a day to day desk calendar one year, Would You Rather, where the two choices were usually horrible  (Would you rather burn to death or freeze to death, things like that)

A local radio station use to play a Would You Rather question every day, so the interview story didn't surprise or confuse me. They might have had Opus' desk calendar.

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The only TS I got was ketchup. I thought that was pretty easy.

I make my own catsup/ketchup and I thank progress that the present-day version is made with tomatoes and not fermented fish guts as was the original. I was glad to make that TS a QS (quadruple stumper) and hope I am never prompted to eat FFG on my fries.

• Love 3

HOMES?  Yawn.

I always use Super Man Helps Every One!

That one is superior (heh) because it gives the order from west to east!

Which may have helped (probably not) with the TS of Saginaw Bay. It's the space between the Thumb and the rest of the mitten. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Kathira said:

Poor Lauren. Done in by a tough FJ. I guessed Nixon, too. She bet correctly, to beat Wes if he was right and doubled his score. Sometimes you just can't win.

I also got World of Dance, ketchup, debate and brigantine, which was a pre-guess as soon as I saw the category of "brig."

I guessed Lincoln for FJ.

I did get all of the others, plus felon, Briggs & Stratton, moose & Delaware.

I would've bet everything on that Opera Daily Double from Tuesday and been right.  Why couldn't that have been a category in my game?

14 hours ago, Brookside said:

I've never heard it except when it shows up on Jeopardy, and I never remember it from time to time.

11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Captains Courageous

Got that one too.  I love Kipling, love that story, and love the tv movie version which starred Robert Urich.

2 hours ago, opus said:

Freeze to death, absolutely.  Yes, I've given that some thought.  Blame all the books about the Northwest Passage I've read lately.

• Love 7

Just watched my recording of last night's game... Aw, Lauren! We hardly knew ye...

She was in the the same position I was last Tuesday; ahead going into final, but not a runaway. She bet to 'cover' Mr. Second-place but was done in by a triple stumper. I feel her pain (except she has her strong yesterday's winnings to fall back on)!

Wes was very good; I hope he sticks around a good long time. 

(PS: I also guessed Nixon but with no real confidence - I knew his resignation was too early to fit the clue.)

• Love 6
10 hours ago, ClareWalks said:
10 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

HOMES?  Yawn.

I always use Super Man Helps Every One!

That one is superior (heh) because it gives the order from west to east!

LOL. Very helpful. They did a "map of the Midwest as seen by Chicagoans" and the Great Lakes were labeled "Michigan," "Not Michigan," "Not Michigan," "Not Michigan," and "Not Michigan."

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Just watched my recording of last night's game... Aw, Lauren! We hardly knew ye...

She was in the the same position I was last Tuesday; ahead going into final, but not a runaway. She bet to 'cover' Mr. Second-place but was done in by a triple stumper. I feel her pain (except she has her strong yesterday's winnings to fall back on)!

Wes was very good; I hope he sticks around a good long time. 

(PS: I also guessed Nixon but with no real confidence - I knew his resignation was too early to fit the clue.)

I was torn between Truman and John Tyler, since it had to be someone whose predecessor served a very short term.  

5 hours ago, Driad said:

Unless I misheard, one of the clues used "comprise" incorrectly.  Grr.

Ugh.....there is NO such thing as  "Comprised OF....." 

The whole comprises the parts.  The parts compose the whole.  The whole is composed of the parts.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Ugh.....there is NO such thing as  "Comprised OF....." 

The whole comprises the parts.  The parts compose the whole.  The whole is composed of the parts.

Thank you.  I was never quite sure how to use "comprised". Really, not being silly.

• Love 3

I'm sorry to see Lauren go, too.  I liked her.  Wes is fine; he's just "vanilla".

For the planets, we always learned "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas/Pizza pies."  I've always heard HOMES for the Great Lakes, having lived in western Michigan for 10 years.

Was I the only one who thought the Delaware flag clue was just "off"?  In the clue, the background of the flag looked mint green (I couldn't find a photo.), which seemed very strange to me, so I looked it up.  In reality, the background is blue.  (see attached) Or were they just concentrating on the design on the flag?  Either way, I thought it was confusing.

Also, I was kind of surprised that they allowed Lauren's answer of "Brigham Young" in the "brig" category.  The question clearly asked for his first name only.  Sometimes the things they allow/don't allow really confound me!

I didn't have a clue about FJ.

flag.jpg

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Julia67 said:

Also, I was kind of surprised that they allowed Lauren's answer of "Brigham Young" in the "brig" category.  The question clearly asked for his first name only.  Sometimes the things they allow/don't allow really confound me!

I think if you give more than required (as in this case) they won't rule you incorrect unless the part you added was wrong - if she had said "Brigham Carson" she would have been ruled incorrect.

• Love 9

Aw I liked Becky - she was quick, knew a lot about everything and signed her name nicely. 

Wes speaks so fast I can hardly understand him.  And I swear he didn’t say “what is” once.  He’s a one and done champ who got lucky.  What tf is a “storyteller”.  Blah

• Love 7

Wes did not say "What is..." once and didn't get called on it. It was in the pop song category.

I'm kid of surprised they accepted "Get out of jail" card - isn't it a "Get out of jail free" card?

Man, that Becky. She exhibited all the excitement and joy of Sarah Sanders at a press briefing. I got the feeling she thought she was just going to come in and steamroll everyone.

• Love 12

I liked Becky, too, but mainly because she's from my city.  Doug's surprise party story was good.  Congrats to Wes on his win and GFY.  Drink!  ?

I didn't hear "what is" before Wes's Nothing, nor before Becky's zirconia.  Sound editing FUBAR?

A banner showing "Free Angela" for the Angela Davis clue?  Really?

I only got diving and Nathan Hale.

For FJ I said figs and was just as sure I was correct as Doug was with dates.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Turkey produces cherries ????  Whoda thunk?  I answered dates.

I never associated Turkey with cherries either, but I did know that cerasus was the Latin word for cherry.

I got emollient, Juan Carlos, reckoned second, and Nathan Hale.

Like several others, I didn't hear Wes say "What is" before the answer "nothing."  I'll just assume he said it very quickly and softly.

• Love 3

So glad Becky didn’t win.  Something about her didn’t sit right with me, though I can’t put my finger on what it is.  She did need a BMS for Hoover, and it’s a Get Out Of Jail FREE card, not just a get out of jail card.  Boo, hiss to the judges on those.  I also didn’t much care for Wes’s jacket tonight, but maybe I’m just cranky.

I first said dates for FJ, then changed to figs.  Cherries never occurred to me — I couldn’t even think of a fruit that sounded remotely like the town name.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For the planets (including Pluto), I was taught in the early 60s - Many Visitors Enjoy Mostly Just Sitting Under Nice Palms (I did live in Florida, y'know. Of COURSE there'd be palms.)

I learned Mark’s Very Extravagant Mother Just Sent Us Ninety Parakeets. 1967 earth science.

I thought the braid / cornrow thing was sliced a bit close. 

• Love 4

Cherries was an instaget for me because of the word in the clue. I liked all 3 of the contestants and would've been fine with any of them winning. 

I also had future suture, Juan Carlo, diving, and Nathan Hale. 

• Love 3

I liked Becky and thought Alex was rudely dismissive of her during the personal story bit.  (Which I can't stand, by the way.  Am I the only one?  Give me another round of questions, not boring stories from people I have no interest in.)

• Love 7
Just now, Brookside said:

I liked Becky and thought Alex was rudely dismissive of her during the personal story bit.  (Which I can't stand, by the way.  Am I the only one?  Give me another round of questions, not boring stories from people I have no interest in.)

Is there a game show that doesn't attempt to get to know the contestants a little?

I mean, there probably is/was, but I'm blanking....

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Driad said:

"Hoover" needed a BMS.

Why? Who else would it be except J. Edgar? To me, that's like asking for clarification if you answer "Who is Lincoln."

I got reckoned second and Nathan Hale. I thought the injury-faking in soccer was called flopping, though I know that didn't fit the clue as far as being an Olympic sport, though for a second I thought of the Fosbury Flop.

For FJ I took a gamble and said apples. I had seen a show about food (maybe with Michael Pollan) where they talked about apples originating from the Azerbaijan region, I think. So I thought maybe Turkey could be the big apple producer.

Glad Wes eked out a win. 

• Love 3
(edited)
27 minutes ago, opus said:

Is there a game show that doesn't attempt to get to know the contestants a little?

I mean, there probably is/was, but I'm blanking....

Mastermind?  Contestants are introduced as "taxi driver from London" then off they go.  (British show - if you don't know it, look for it on YouTube, it'll blow your mind.  Don't worry about the first round (specialized subject, you won't get any!)  But the second round is general knowledge.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3