Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I agree, and to give Stel I think $6K for that was absurd. It could have determined the game but thankfully didn't.

For TS I got 3 little kittens, Pope Benedict, and Denzel Washington Monument. FJ was an instaget.

I think the judges were right insisting on cornrows because cornrows are one of many types of braids, and they were referring to a specific military regulation that doesn't apply to other types of braids.

I was happy to see a Zadie Smith clue; I loved both White Teeth and NW.

Only one poster called Becky arrogant but regardless, mileage varies.

yes but that's my gripe. They are not consistent on when they ask for people to be more specific and when they rule against them. For braids I would have asked him to be more specific not just said it was a no. There are plenty of times they ask for more information or be more specific when I would think it was just a no.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

yes but that's my gripe. They are not consistent on when they ask for people to be more specific and when they rule against them. For braids I would have asked him to be more specific not just said it was a no. There are plenty of times they ask for more information or be more specific when I would think it was just a no.

Oh I totally agree the inconsistency is maddening. I was just saying I agreed with the specificity of that one.

• Love 2
(edited)

Good game. I liked all of the guys, but George was pretty slow. 

If we drink at Women Authors, Black Women Authors should be a shot. tres specific

TS I got were Three Little Kittens, Pope Benedict XVI, Athena, Speechless, Denzel Washington Monument, Google Earth (Shel's DD. I don't think he should have received retro-credit for Google Maps). I pre-guessed FJ as soon as the category was revealed. 

11 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I liked Becky, but can't remember her story. 

I liked her too. Her story was about being in LA to appear on J! was her first opportunity to see an ocean. Previously she had only travelled within the interior of the US. 

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought the description of the person was two words long, not the person's name. I remembered Benedict but forgot his numeral, so I wonder if I would have been ruled incorrect for saying only "Benedict."

I wasn't sure if they were going for Pope Benedict, Benedict XVI, or wanted all 3 & were considering XVI as just an ordinal & not a part of his name per se. I don't think Pope Benedict would have sufficed, but I guess a contestant could appeal and have it overturned. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

They're not the same thing but it seems like they both fit the clue, with the reservation that I don't know what year they were introduced - were they both from 2005 (was it?) 

Oddly enough, I looked it up.  Google Maps launched in 2005.  Google Earth launched in 2001.  WTH!?

• Love 10
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

The response didn't need to be two words; all the clues were two words... so the "I can name..." in the category refered to Alex!

I think that category was a reference to phrase "I can name that song in [two] notes" from Name That Tune.

Edited by opus
  • Love 7

With Broadway being one of my dream categories, I was hoping for a less current show but I am glad a couple of them knew it.  

I am with those who love Speechless and was sad it was a TS.  Hope some more people check it out, especially since it is being moved to Friday this fall.

I would also visit the Denzel Washington Monument.  I have loved him since St. Elsewhere days.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

And moi. Though I tend to fly the Denver Broncos flag, instead :)

LOL. If this was a political loop, I'd add someone else.

I liked Becky. Sheesh, you guys. If a jeptestant sways and nervously waves his/her buzzer around, we criticize. If a jeptestant is quick on the buzzer and all business, we call her arrogant?

Wes knows how to bet for FJ. I like that. I like him.

I could have stood there forever or longer before I'd guess cherries for FJ, but I ran the opera category before the first clue was revealed.

The only one who didn't come up was Brünnhilde! 

yes, i said i thought she was arrogant and i still do.  She had no expression on her face when she correctly answered, which was most of the time.  it was as if she was saying 'of course i'm right' what did you expect!  i'm sure she was in shock when she lost.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Glad George whiffed FJ.  He was kinda slow on the clue-picking, though he seemed to have a pretty good knowledge base.  I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.  I've read all three of those books.

He was, but I really liked him when he laughed at himself for missing one of the "little" clues. I

10 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I was too - unfortunately, I conflated her name and her book and came up with Zadie White.

52 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

yes, i said i thought she was arrogant and i still do.  She had no expression on her face when she correctly answered, which was most of the time.  it was as if she was saying 'of course i'm right' what did you expect!  i'm sure she was in shock when she lost.

She wasn't the most peppy person, but I simply saw her as focused. And she lost only because she didn't do the math right, as I recall. But mileage varies.

• Love 7

I thought it was interesting that George knits but has a problem with “making a thing fit”. Guess there are a lot of scarves given out as Christmas presents (lol) in his family. I cleared the Business and Industry category. Not too many TSers. Just 3 Little Kittens, google earth, and speechless. I drew a blank on FJ. The Lion King got stuck in my head even though I had a strong suspicion that it was incorrect. 

• Love 4

I've been yelling out answers as soon as I see a category title. I've been right a few times. I was right for FJ, when I yelled out "Wicked" before they read the clue.

As with Female Authors vs. Women Authors, what's the difference between Black Authors and African-American Authors?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

The response didn't need to be two words; all the clues were two words... so the "I can name..." in the category refered to Alex!

*face palm* 

9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

And we’re back to Toddler FJ after yesterday’s toughie. I pre-guessed it just from the category name. 

So did I. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, AuntieL said:

I'm not sure I'm remembering right but I don't believe all of the authors were American. 

At least one was British.

I was sure that Black Women Authors was a shout out to this forum. I am looking forward to the category of White Men Authors.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I've been yelling out answers as soon as I see a category title. I've been right a few times. I was right for FJ, when I yelled out "Wicked" before they read the clue.

As with Female Authors vs. Women Authors, what's the difference between Black Authors and African-American Authors?

Shouting out answers for the categories is one of our favorite things.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

He was, but I really liked him when he laughed at himself for missing one of the "little" clues. I

I was too - unfortunately, I conflated her name and her book and came up with Zadie White.

She wasn't the most peppy person, but I simply saw her as focused. And she lost only because she didn't do the math right, as I recall. But mileage varies.

you could be right and probably are.  i'm cantankerous enough not to give her a break.

• Love 1

George drove me crazy - he was so slow and my biggest Jeopardy pet peeve is not clearing the board. (I also had the impression he considered himself charming.) As for Becky, maybe I'm projecting, but I think she felt self-conscious and just tried to keep it businesslike. I kind of liked her. Mr Mookster is shocked by my instantaneous reactions to Jeopardy contestants, but I would never "judge" people this way in real life, but from my couch I feel free to love or banish people from my TV life.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I hated White Teeth.  It's one of the few books I ever started that I did not finish.  But as a result, I'll never forget her name.  I also hate Wicked, but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the category.

7 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I am with those who love Speechless and was sad it was a TS.  Hope some more people check it out, especially since it is being moved to Friday this fall.

Me, too.  I'm so glad they didn't cancel it.

I didn't mind Wes at first, but now I want him to lose.  Maybe he's too chill for me?  I'd have liked Stel to win, for purely shallow reasons.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

He was, but I really liked him when he laughed at himself for missing one of the "little" clues.

Yes, and I believe he also laughed at one of the Before and After answers.

I was distracted during the Before and After section -- stupid Bejeweled -- and I wish I had paid attention because I like those categories and think I would have done well.

• Love 6
On 7/11/2018 at 11:38 AM, Mystery Author said:

I liked Becky. Sheesh, you guys. If a jeptestant sways and nervously waves his/her buzzer around, we criticize. If a jeptestant is quick on the buzzer and all business, we call her arrogant?

As far as I can tell, it's okay here to rank on contestants for those things and insult them in every possible way, even for made-up things, but never, EVER, mention anyone's boobs.

• Love 7

I liked all three contestants last night, but George was a little slow picking clues.

I said The Wiz instead of Wicked - I always make that mistake for some reason.

My only ts was three little kittens - not one of my best games.

• Love 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

And we’re back to Toddler FJ after yesterday’s toughie. I pre-guessed it just from the category name. 

I now look 50 years younger than my real age since I had no idea.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, mookster said:

George drove me crazy - he was so slow and my biggest Jeopardy pet peeve is not clearing the board. (I also had the impression he considered himself charming.) As for Becky, maybe I'm projecting, but I think she felt self-conscious and just tried to keep it businesslike. I kind of liked her. Mr Mookster is shocked by my instantaneous reactions to Jeopardy contestants, but I would never "judge" people this way in real life, but from my couch I feel free to love or banish people from my TV life.

Well, I found him charming. :)

I do instant judgement on the couch too, but I try not to be harsh on the forum. I think I've probably broken that rule (so I'm not being holier than thou), so it may be more aspirational than actual.

• Love 6

Congrats to Michelle, but I don't know what she was thinking with that low FJ wager.  She's lucky Johanna missed it or Michelle would be going home.

I got Jaws right away, although I suppose The Hunt For Red October is a decent guess (although I think it was published in the 80s).

What's with asking which actor did a voice for an animated movie?  And then announcing the movie is opening tomorrow?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Well, not all black people are American. "Black authors" is more general than "African-American authors".

• Love 8

I appreciated Johanna's gutsy wagers, but she lost me when she didn't start at the top of the category in the second round.  Also, I did not hear a "What is" when she answered the inertia clue, so it doesn't hurt my feelings that she lost.

Congrats to Michelle -- agreed, though, that she got lucky that Johanna missed FJ.  What was with Michelle's wager?  Was she protecting herself against Wes -- if he doubled his score, but she missed FJ, would she still have been ahead of him?  Maybe she didn't think Johanna was a threat?  Who knows.

FJ was another instaget for me.  I did at least have to read the whole clue, though -- mostly because the important bit was at the end.  I also got mini-stroke, drive drunk, Trojan War (lucky guess), and macaroni, just from the "feather in your cap" part of the clue. 

Michelle reminds me a little of Mary Steenburgen.

• Love 7

DH and I could have sworn Johanna did not say "What is..." on her first question in DJ.  I shouted about it and scared the cat.  Kept waiting for the reversal on her score but it never came.  She lost anyhow, but, if she really did not say it, it changed the whole game. I'm glad @Browncoat mentioned it too or I would have thought DH and I were losing it:)

I got drive drunk (DD) and Trojan War, might have got more but I don't remember them.

Instaget FJ.

Re the question regarding improvements to milling and more people were getting "white....." I said flour, Wes said bread and was correct.  Think they would have given me credit for flour?

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Trey said:

DH and I could have sworn Johanna did not say "What is..." on her first question in DJ.  I shouted about it and scared the cat.  Kept waiting for the reversal on her score but it never came.  She lost anyhow, but, if she really did not say it, it changed the whole game. I'm glad @Browncoat mentioned it too or I would have thought DH and I were losing it:)

I even rewound the DVR and listened again, and I did not hear her say "What is..."

• Love 8

Congrats to Michelle, but mime-o-graph?  Is that how it's pronounced in Canada?  I also didn't hear Johanna say "what is" for the inertia clue or the answer of speech.  But she got a GFY.  Drink!  ?

I got drive drunk (DD), Trojan War, and macaroni.

FJ was an instaget.  Good for me.  Drink!  ?

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I even rewound the DVR and listened again, and I did not hear her say "What is..."

I didn't hear "What is" either, but then some player didn't say it the other day and he was okay. I guess it's all right if whims and the wind are blowing a certain way in the Jeopardy studio.

We got a video shout out to the mimeograph, which is not a ditto machine. See, I told you guys it wasn't.

Johanna looked like Billy Jean King, which was okay with me as BJK is one of my heroes.

One "Oh, HELL-low" and a "GFY" made this game a double drinker.

6 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Feel free to stick a feather in ... your cap.

37 minutes ago, Trey said:

Re the question regarding improvements to milling and more people were getting "white....." I said flour, Wes said bread and was correct.  Think they would have given me credit for flour?

I was slightly uncomfortable with the "white bread" answer, but I think "flour" would have also been accepted. White flour makes white bread. Plus I said "flour" as well.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Congrats to Michelle -- agreed, though, that she got lucky that Johanna missed FJ.  What was with Michelle's wager?  Was she protecting herself against Wes -- if he doubled his score, but she missed FJ, would she still have been ahead of him?  Maybe she didn't think Johanna was a threat?  Who knows.

No, he had finished with 12,799. Michelle had 15,200 and bet 3,200. If she's wrong, she has 12,000. She would have lost. I don't understand her bet either, but I did get Jaws.  

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Let me know when MEchelle is gone.  I dislike her.  A lot.  Mime-e-ograph?  WTF?

If she bets like that again, you'll probably get your wish. I wanted Wes to win. 

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was slightly uncomfortable with the "white bread" answer, but I think "flour" would have also been accepted. White flour makes white bread. Plus I said "flour" as well.

I said flour too. 

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Got those also along with metal detector. 

I want to say Johanna reminded me of one of Kate McKinnon's characters on SNL, but I can't think of which one. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Roaster said:

Congrats to Michelle, but I don't know what she was thinking with that low FJ wager.  She's lucky Johanna missed it or Michelle would be going home.

I got Jaws right away, although I suppose The Hunt For Red October is a decent guess (although I think it was published in the 80s).

What's with asking which actor did a voice for an animated movie?  And then announcing the movie is opening tomorrow?

Shameless plugs, which Jeopardy really does far too often.  And does not even try to hide it in the least bit. 

They seem to be much more lax on whether they have to say "what is...." anymore.  Twice this week where it seemed the contestant clearly did not say it in DJ round. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Michelle reminds me a little of Mary Steenburgen.

I thought of Cher.

I got Norman Bates, the Trojan War, and metal detector. I also wondered about the "white bread/white flour" distinction and wondered if "voice" was too general for "whooper."

Amazed at those who predicted that FJ would be Jaws. When I think of 1970's bestsellers, my mind goes to self-help books and Love Story.

• Love 5

BooHiss!  I'll miss you, Wes.

Not a fan of MEchelle, so I'll be quite happy if she is one and done.  Something about her irked me.

Tonight my gets were drive drunk, Adam Sandler, and parabola (a word I quite enjoy).

IMO, there is no way Pangaea (a word I also enjoy) should have been a $2000 clue, let alone a DD. 

FJ = instaget 

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I totally misinterpreted "mill" and answered "paper". Yes, I do feel dumb.

For missed DD and TS I got drive drunk, Norman Bates, Trojan War, and Tenderness (wow a General Public clue on Jeopardy?!).

32 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Amazed at those who predicted that FJ would be Jaws. When I think of 1970's bestsellers, my mind goes to self-help books and Love Story.

I pre-guessed The Exorcist but once they showed the clue it was an instaget. I also pre-guessed "Sid" for "Killed Nancy" until Alex got to "Oliver Twist".

I thought the Slayer category was clever. When it was first revealed I wondered how jeopardy! would pull off an entire category about the band. My mind was really racing tonight...

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

We got a video shout out to the mimeograph, which is not a ditto machine. See, I told you guys it wasn't.

I was so excited to see that mimeograph! NOT a ditto machine!

32 minutes ago, lb60 said:

IMO, there is no way Pangaea (a word I also enjoy) should have been a $2000 clue, let alone a DD. 

Agreed, esp since the rest of the category was quite difficult (at least for them and me).

I got mimeograph (not ditto machine), drive drunk, Norman Bates, Adam Sandler (a guess), Trojan War, and metal detector. (BTW, I LOVE The Detectorists!). FJ wasn't quite an instaget for me. 'Deliverance' first came to mind. I think part of the ads for the movie had a scene of a hand rising out of the water. But I came to 'Jaws' pretty soon after that.

Sorry to see Wes go. Michelle doesn't bug me yet. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 7
(edited)

I didn't mind Michelle until she tried an English accent.  Note to non-natives, please don't do this.  It's always cringeworthy.  (I suspect I speak for Scots, Irish, Aussies, etc, too.  And while we're at it, it's pronounced Ozzies, not Ossies.)

Sorry to be short-tempered, it's 90 degrees here in a part of the country where it's not supposed to be.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

I want to say Johanna reminded me of one of Kate McKinnon's characters on SNL, but I can't think of which one. 

Agreed!  I was trying to decide between Tina Fey and Kate McKinnon, but darned if I can think of what character.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Mime-e-ograph?  WTF?

Reading vocabulary but not speaking/hearing vocabulary!  Damn, I'm old.  Or she's young.

Add me to those who didn't hear "what is" -- but the Closed Captioner must have heard it because it showed up there.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well, not all black people are American. "Black authors" is more general than "African-American authors".

True, Zadie Smith, for example, is British.

27 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was so excited to see that mimeograph! NOT a ditto machine!

Memories, light the colors of my mind, purple ink that stained my fingers... (I'm no Weird Al, but I am weird.)

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Memories, light the colors of my mind, purple ink that stained my fingers... (I'm no Weird Al, but I am weird.)

Memories of fighting for the privilege of going to the office and waiting for the school secretary to make the mimeographs/duplicates.

• Love 5