Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Jeopardy.com has this posted on its home page.

WTH show, it's not a freaking STREAK. The guy came back and won ONE game. Since when is that a streak?

This show. Makes me wonder what went on behind the scenes. You know, the real story. Lawsuit anyone? Which is why this joker doesn't have to work a real job any more? JMHO of course. YMMV.

dickweed.png

I didn't think about it till that photo, but I think he's the guy I kept saying looked like Rachael Maddow. I also don't think anyone here went along with it.

Edited by opus
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, opus said:

I didn't think about it till that photo, but I think he's the guy I kept saying looked like Rachael Maddow. I also don't think anyone here went along with it.

Oh that’s too funny. Now I won’t see anything else! 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'll take that bet. Dogs will go up steps, not down

Many years ago, we had a neighbor with an Akita, which would go up the stairs, but not down. His owner would have to carry this 100 lb. dog down the stairs (they lived on the third floor).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I was known as Toothbrush H. all through grammar school, and in high school had to use my full last name all the time because there was another Toothbrush H. in my grade. My mom still calls me Toothbrush H. sometimes to be silly, even though at this point I have had a different last initial for 4 years longer than the "original". 

That's interesting.  In my grade school, we had a lot of girls named Amy.  So we had Amy O, and Amy T, and Amy Sa,, and Amy Sp.  We just kept adding letters instead of changing over to the whole last name.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Many years ago, we had a neighbor with an Akita, which would go up the stairs, but not down. His owner would have to carry this 100 lb. dog down the stairs (they lived on the third floor).

I've lived in several two-story houses, and our dogs (and visiting dogs) have all gone up and down stairs.  Not with any elegance, mind you, but they managed.  This includes dogs weighing from 7 to 70 pounds.  I wouldn't expect a toy breed to go down stairs, and a Great Dane might have trouble as well. 

Ryan -- tightly wound, I think.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if a threatened lawsuit was the reason his game was re-evaluated.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'll take that bet. Dogs will go up steps, not down. Go back to our original discussion about the subject in this thread and read my posts about it there. I'm not getting into it again. Bottom line is, I work with dogs professionally, have for decades and still do. I know a bit more about dog behavior than jackass dickweek Ryan. I hope someone with compassion carried the puppy down those steps. Because if not, there is a little rotting dog carcass up there. Bones by now. But some people don't give a care about dogs or any animals, just themselves.

Well, I'm no professional when it comes to dogs. All I know is that my dogs (usually terriers) have never had any issues going down steps. 

And I 100% support your right to disagree.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, I'm no professional when it comes to dogs. All I know is that my dogs (usually terriers) have never had any issues going down steps. 

And I 100% support your right to disagree.

Me too. My first dog and my current one (both over 50 lbs) had/have no problem with the stairs in either direction. Maybe it helps they are carpeted? (The stairs, not the dogs).

• Love 4
(edited)

I know there will be gnashing of teeth here that Ryan won again. In fairness to him, though, I thought his DD answer of "drama" (instead of "tragedy") should have gotten a BMS rather than an outright "no." (The Greeks called both tragedy and comedy "drama," but we tend to use "drama" only for serious stuff.) I rooted for Kyle, mostly for his gorgeous hair *shallow*, but his FJ answer was bad. 1962 wasn't even a Presidential election year! Caitlion was OK, but her name and occupation were a bit precious for me. Has anyone here ever tried vegan cheese? If so, how was it?

I got Paris sights/parasites, inversion, Leaving Las Vegas, charger, Cliffs Notes, and John Landis. I thought of 1976 for FJ, then remembered Ford hadn't been governor.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5

If Kyle hadn't been stoned, he might have won.  I mean, I don't know he was stoned, but he kind of gave that appearance.  This was another one of those games, though, that I really wasn't rooting for anyone.  I hated all of their intros, and WTF with the way Caitlion wrote her name?  I couldn't quite tell what she dotted her i's with -- was it just giant dots or what?

Anyway, I completely blanked on FJ, though I feel like I should have known it.  I did get sarin, die late/dilate, charger, CliffsNotes (probably before her time -- all the cool kids use Sparknotes these days), Rocco Dispirito, and John Landis.  For the inversion one, I said temperature inversion, but I'd like to think they would have given it to me.

• Love 9
(edited)

It was agood TS day for me - I got inversion layer, charger, Cliff Notes (although I wonder if they would have given it to me for Cliff insread of Cliffs), tragedy, Rocco DiSpirito John Landis, and Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Interestingly, at least to me as a college teacher, SparkNotes (Caitlion's answer) seem to have completely overtaken Cliff Notes for student use. When I mention Cliff Notes to my classes, I get blank stares. But they all know and use SparkNotes. Maybe it was before Caitlion's time?

9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

CliffsNotes (probably before her time -- all the cool kids use Sparknotes these days),

We cross posted - my thought exactly. Apparently no one uses CliffNotes any more.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 8

No Ryan, even you don’t get 2 shots at a DD. His mild freak out over that, and looks of quiet indignation when he's called wrong, leads me to believe he threatened something if they didn't bring him back.

For TS I got dilate, Can’t Buy Me Love, Rocco DiSpirito, John Landis, and Anthony Kiedis, and the Cliff Notes DD.

I was rooting for Kyle to win. I think I can take maybe one more game with Ryan before I have to excuse myself from watching.

• Love 14

Ryan trying to buzz in after already answering wrong. He's working my last nerve.

That DD question, though. Maybe Alex should not automatically say "NO" if the rule is that's the cutoff for correcting. Maybe he should just wait until answering time is up and take whatever answer was last. It would be a huge waste of time but this thing where some people get to blurt out three answers just because Alex didn't say "Wrong" fast enough sure isn't fair.

• Love 10

Trebek: "Genre."

Me: "Drink!"

Is it wrong that I LOL'd and knew Kyle was going to answer the clue about the beer with a star on its label?

Kyle might be ranked on here for his hair (not yet but I'll bet he will be), but the minute I saw him I thought "Eliot Spencer, Leverage." And that is NOT a bad thing.

Shout out to our Colorado Carpe and Louisiana Toothbrush (I think) for the two new-player states.

I said "Cliff Notes" for that super-easy DD/TS. So yeah, I'd be wrong. We always called it that, never knew it was a possessive Cliff's. Or plural Cliffs. Go figure.

I dislike Ryan with the strength of a thousand suns, but it was all kinds of wrong when he gave a wrong answer, then tried to give the right one and Trebek said, "No, you can't correct yourself." WTH Trebek. I guess that's true if you're not Michelle or some other woman you are crushing on. You play $100,000 Pyramid and let them give multiple answers. That was SO UNFAIR.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Hug him/her for me too! 

Her and she got a big hug and belly rub from you.  :-)

7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I know a bit more about dog behavior than jackass dickweek Ryan.

<hands saber5055 a rose>

Will you accept?  

I hated everyone tonight just based on their intros. What a bunch of tools. I can't even with Caitlion and her vegan cheese,

Tonight I got dilate/die late, Paris sights/parasites, CliffsNotes, tragedy, Rocco DiSpirito, John Landis, and Anthony Kiedis. I said 1988 for FJ.  At least it was an election year, Kyle!  Honestly, he seemed a little stoned to me.  lol

• Love 11
(edited)
11 minutes ago, lb60 said:

<hands saber5055 a rose>

Will you accept?  

Of course I will. (And Saber gives IB60 the Bachelor Handshake in return.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I can't even with Caitlion and her vegan cheese,

OMG, I'd forgotten that -- or possibly blanked it out of my memory.  IMO, if it doesn't have dairy, it is not technically cheese!  Also, is she a vegan, or just her "cheese"?  Either way, it sounds kind of gross.  Sorry about her issues with dairy, but that's what they make Lactaid for.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I hated everyone tonight just based on their intros. What a bunch of tools. I can't even with Caitlion and her vegan cheese,

That is too funny. While she was telling the vegan-cheese story, all I could think was go to Walmart and buy that cheapass crap that doesn't have any dairy in it, it's all vegetable oil fakety fake cheese. But I guess that wouldn't be such a warm and fuzzy personal story, "I don't eat dairy so I buy Walmart fake oil cheese."

33 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

CliffsNotes (probably before her time -- all the cool kids use Sparknotes these days),

Sparknotes ... definitely AFTER my time. I've never heard of it. After My Time should be a new drinking category here. I'll be the first to take a sip.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've only heard of Sparknotes because I work at a college with undergrads and recent graduates.  None of them knows what Cliffsnotes are!

I never heard of it until I became a teacher. 

I had a pretty good game, which is good because I had no gets and missed FJ yesterday. I had dilate, parasites, Leaving Las Vegas, charger, Webby, Cliffs Notes, tragedy, DiSpirito, Anthony Kiedis, and the 1980 FJ in an instaget. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I watched Monday, but forgot to post.  Yesterday, Jeopardy was pre-empted by baseball and I was too lazy to YouTube it.  Thank goodness!  I spared myself from seeing that pencil-necked Ryan an extra day.

I really wanted Kyle to win.  Loved his hair, and yes, he does look like that cute guy on Leverage.  And for those of you saying he looked like a stoner, well, we have legal marijuana here so maybe he works in the industry or just enjoys it.?  WTH kind of a name is Caitlion?  At least she only had huge dots above the "i"s in her name and not hearts.

Glad Ryan got stung by the "NO!" screamed by Alex just because I don't like him.  Ha!  Drink!  ?

I got sarin gas, inversion layer (Kyle should have known that - we have them here a lot), charger, Cliffs Notes (DD), and Rocco DiSpirito.

I answered 2000 for FJ.  I could have sworn Al Gore was a Governor along with being a Representative and a Senator.  Oh, well.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 14
41 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Of course I will. (And Saber gives IB60 the Bachelor Handshake in return.)

Yay!  Now I won't have to ugly cry in the back of a limo.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Yay!  Now I won't have to ugly cry in the back of a limo.

LOL! But you will have to no doubt see a chiropractor, or buy a back brace after that "handshake."

23 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I watched Monday, but forgot to post.

You need to knock that sh*t off. Although I hear Reefer Madness makes people forgetful.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
(edited)

Hey, I looked up CliffsNotes and all answers would have been correct according to this:

"CliffsNotes (formerly Cliffs Notes, originally Cliff's Notes and often, erroneously, CliffNotes) are a series of student study guides available primarily in the United States."

So I demand Jeopardy call me back to play tomorrow. See you guys then.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I had a pretty good game, which is good because I had no gets and missed FJ yesterday. I had dilate, parasites, Leaving Las Vegas, charger, Webby, Cliffs Notes, tragedy, DiSpirito, Anthony Kiedis, and the 1980 FJ in an instaget. 

Got all of them too plus sarin. I liked the puns category. I had made use of Cliff's Notes while reading Shakespeare. It did help me out. 

1962? That's not even a presidential election year. What did you think Kennedy got elected? Dude, you had a chance to take out puppy boy.  

59 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Caitlion

I alternated between calling her Caitlin, Cotillion and vegan cheese Taylor Swift. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 12
48 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

You need to knock that sh*t off. Although I hear Reefer Madness makes people forgetful.

So does being old.  Get off my lawn!  ?

16 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I alternated between calling her Caitlin, Cotillion and vegan cheese Taylor Swift. 

Bawahaha!  All of those are better than Kate Lion!

• Love 13

I would have thought "Caitlion" was just a precious way of spelling "Caitlin," but Kate Lion? That's a new one.

I said Cliff Notes, which I hope would have been accepted, just as saber5055's research indicates. I've heard of Spark['s] Notes, but I don't know the difference. If I feel like it, I'll google.

I got a little muddled re FJ and said 1996. I was thinking Clinton vs George W. Bush. Yup, I was all mixed up.

• Love 7
(edited)
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Also, is she a vegan, or just her "cheese"?  Either way, it sounds kind of gross.  Sorry about her issues with dairy, but that's what they make Lactaid for.

Some people have much more severe allergies to dairy than lactaid can help. My friend had a similiar situation where she developed a severe allergy to dairy in her 20s not being able to eat cheese still upsets her that 15 years later she will just go to cheese shops to smell the cheeses!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

I had sarin, extent, Leaving Las Vegas, tragedy, John Landis, and Anthony Kiedis in a double TS (I had it with either the clue by itself or the picture by itself).

The highest dollar value clue in A Little Science was an obvious reference to "Light Years".  Kinda basic for a $2000 clue.

• Love 4

Sad that the pencil necked dickweed won again, but if he had lost after AT did not let him play $100,000 Pyramid, he could have had grounds to come back yet again. But ringing in after legitimately being judged incorrect was just obnoxious. 

It was pretty much a 'anyone but Ryan' game for me, but I had to root for my hometown vegan cheesemaker. Kyle got the shallow vote.

We got a 'good for you' & a 'genre' drink!drink! The pun category was fun, but I kept wanting the songs to be from the movies of the same name. 

TS I got were die late/dilate, Paris sights/parasites, Can't Buy Me Love, Leaving Las Vegas (DD), charger, Cliff's Notes, Rocco Dispirito. I didn't even try to guess FJ just because, & Dr. Toothbrush said 1984. 

6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Caitlion was OK, but her name and occupation were a bit precious for me. Has anyone here ever tried vegan cheese? If so, how was it?

I liked her more when she revealed that she is a vegan cheesemaker out of necessity, and also felt sorry for her, because mmm...cheese. I'll bet I ate 3 oz of (non-vegan) cheese today, and have no plans to try the vegan kind. I have tried vegan bacon, and it's not the worst thing in the world, and maybe I would even like it if I had never had the real thing. 

6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

If Kyle hadn't been stoned, he might have won.  I mean, I don't know he was stoned, but he kind of gave that appearance.  

He absolutely gave that appearance. And there is a 5 doughnuts joke there somewhere, but I'm too tired to make it at the moment. 

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Shout out to our Colorado Carpe and Louisiana Toothbrush (I think) for the two new-player states.

I dislike Ryan with the strength of a thousand suns, but it was all kinds of wrong when he gave a wrong answer, then tried to give the right one and Trebek said, "No, you can't correct yourself." WTH Trebek. I guess that's true if you're not Michelle or some other woman you are crushing on. You play $100,000 Pyramid and let them give multiple answers. That was SO UNFAIR.

LA represent!

I agree about Ryan's DD. Not at all fair. Same outcome, but he would have won a lot more had he been allowed to play the pyramid.  

• Love 10
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Kyle might be ranked on here for his hair (not yet but I'll bet he will be), but the minute I saw him I thought "Eliot Spencer, Leverage." And that is NOT a bad thing.

No, it is not. I didn't notice that specific resemblance - because he looked too much like he could have been the son of a guy I had a huge crush on in high school - in Colorado.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

OMG, I'd forgotten that -- or possibly blanked it out of my memory.  IMO, if it doesn't have dairy, it is not technically cheese!  Also, is she a vegan, or just her "cheese"?  Either way, it sounds kind of gross.  Sorry about her issues with dairy, but that's what they make Lactaid for.

I noticed that during her description of the cheese, not once did she say "and it tastes good too." LOL. I do feel sorry for her, I've had to get creative in my kitchen because some things, as I got older, are no longer a food option (unless I want to pay for it).

11 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Got all of them too plus sarin. I liked the puns category. I had made use of Cliff's Notes while reading Shakespeare. It did help me out.

The only time I used Cliff's Notes was in a British novel class, and I think it was Tristram Shandy (sp?), which I just could not read. After reading the Cliff's Notes, I decided I might as well have read the book - they were much more involved than I thought.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

But ringing in after legitimately being judged incorrect was just obnoxious.

I didn't think it was obnoxious. It was just a brain fart. 

Maybe I had had too much wine because I just couldn't figure out the movie/song clues or the puns or remember the names of people. But I enjoyed my wine.

• Love 15
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

And so now I am officially old. And all those using SparksNotes (?) need to get off my lawn.

Ha. I looked it up and Sparknotes was started in 1999. It's all web based, optimized with an app for your phone, online discussion boards, videos, funny quizzes and such like, all aimed at today's young'uns. Get off my lawn indeed.

http://www.sparknotes.com/ 

Their feature on "Literary protagonists summed up in one sentence" is pretty funny, I admit.

http://community.sparknotes.com/2018/07/11/protagonists-summed-up-in-a-single-sentence

Here's Hamlet: His flaws include "just general hubris" and "a tendency to murder people by accident."

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 8
(edited)

Caitlion??  Seriously??  She was like a statue.  Never moved her body, only her eyes.  DH and I surmised that her given name was "Caitlin" but  she had an "epiphany" at some point and now sees herself as some lioness warrior out to solve the problems of the world--and by "problems" I mean that pesky little fact that REAL cheese must contain dairy.  #eyeroll

I thought the pun category was a reach.  They weren't really puns as much as plays on words.

I thought you were allowed to correct yourself as long as there was time left?  WTH???  I smell another lawsuit--or maybe not since he won?

I also guess Cliff's Notes and got FJ immediately.  

Edited by Julia67
spelling
  • Love 5

It took up most of the think music time, but 1980 eventually came to me. Going back over all the presidential elections of my lifetime, I was so excited when I realized Carter and Reagan had both been governors. The guesses weren't great; 1962 was an off-year election, and 1992 was that free for all with Perot thrown in the mix for additional confusion.

I always thought it was Cliff Notes, singular. Glad that controversy was cleared up!

I've had vegan cheese. It was surprisingly tasty. I still give the whole concept of non-dairy cheese the side-eye, though. 

When the songs/movies category was revealed, I yelled out "Flashdance!" Jennifer Beals and Irene Cara! But two clues were left covered, so I'll never know if it was up there...

• Love 7
(edited)

I watched with my neighbor but can’t find the paper where I wrote the TSers that I got but I did get a few of them. FJ was an instaget. My neighbor asked how I knew it and I didn’t have an answer for that. I just did. *shrugs* 

I have tasted vegan soy cheese. Spare yourself folks. The only one I could semi stand was the one with jalapeño because it gave it some flavor. It didn’t like melting either. It tasted more like the plastic that it came wrapped in. 

Was Ryan one of those Kayan women in his last life who’s tribe elongates their necks with necklaces? Something is out of proportion and it distracts me. I dislike him strongly anyway because of the puppy story. 

We need a new winner that we can root for or I’m going to have to join @peeayebee and drink more wine. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Punctuation
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

We need a new winner that we can root for or I’m going to have to join @peeayebee and drink more wine. 

Good for you!

26 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

When the songs/movies category was revealed, I yelled out "Flashdance!" Jennifer Beals and Irene Cara! But two clues were left covered, so I'll never know if it was up there...

I think the idea was that each song and movie title were unrelated, so I don't believe that Flashdance would have been included.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

The songs/movie category made no sense to me.

Me either.

I got the DD of Cliffs Notes but no other ts's.  I knew which two presidents were indicated in FJ but couldn't remember the year.

Cotillion's (thank you, Dr.Scottie) vegan cheese sounds awful, but if she likes it that's fine.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Kathira said:

heir feature on "Literary protagonists summed up in one sentence" is pretty funny, I admit.

http://community.sparknotes.com/2018/07/11/protagonists-summed-up-in-a-single-sentence

Here's Hamlet: His flaws include "just general hubris" and "a tendency to murder people by accident."

I laughed at: "Odysseus: You'd think that getting shipwrecked would be the worst thing to ever happen to you, but that barely cracks his top 50"

• Love 4

Welp, I'm out until jackass Ryan is gone.

17 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I rooted for Kyle, mostly for his gorgeous hair *shallow*, but his FJ answer was bad. 1962 wasn't even a Presidential election year!

Me, too.  I started to say 1980, but then thought that Mondale had been governor of Minnesota and said 1984 instead.  Damn you, Walter Mondale!  (He's the first presidential candidate for whom I voted, but still.)

I got Cliffs Notes & John Landis.  Got some others, too, but I don't remember what they were because my hatred for Ryan made me forget.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Kathira said:

Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I got him as well, but only remembered his last name.  Coulda been Kit Kiedis.

16 hours ago, teebax said:

I knew Rocco Dispirito but couldn't remember his last name.  I also knew Webby (because Nicolaj Coster-Waldau and his wife accepted one on behalf of a Greenland tourism campaign and he gave a really cute speech) but again, couldn't get the name in time.

17 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Can’t Buy Me Love

Got that too.  Back before Patrick Dempsey was McDreamy.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Is it wrong that I LOL'd and knew Kyle was going to answer the clue about the beer with a star on its label?

Not nearly as wrong as me answering Stella Artois, which is Belgian, and I have some of both in my fridge - d'oh!

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I dislike Ryan with the strength of a thousand suns, but it was all kinds of wrong when he gave a wrong answer, then tried to give the right one and Trebek said, "No, you can't correct yourself." WTH Trebek. I guess that's true if you're not Michelle or some other woman you are crushing on. You play $100,000 Pyramid and let them give multiple answers. That was SO UNFAIR

Well, technically, once Alex declares your answer incorrect, you are not allowed to try again.  But he did let Michelle do that, so I guess I should be outraged.  Can't, though, because it was Ryan.

• Love 11
(edited)
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Some people have much more severe allegories to dairy than lactaid can help. My friend had a similiar situation where she developed a severe allergy to dairy in her 20s not being able to eat cheese still upsets her that 15 years later she will just go to cheese shops to smell the cheeses!

Oh man, that would kill me!  Vegan 'cheese' would in no way be an acceptable substitute.

11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Sad that the pencil necked dickweed won again, but if he had lost after AT did not let him play $100,000 Pyramid, he could have had grounds to come back yet again.

Not according to the rules as we were told them.  Liked for Alex's $100,000 Pyramid, though.

3 hours ago, Julia67 said:

DH and I surmised that her given name was "Caitlin" but  she had an "epiphany" at some point and now sees herself as some lioness warrior out to solve the problems of the world--and by "problems" I mean that pesky little fact that REAL cheese must contain dairy.

I just figured she had hippies for parents.  Or Kardashians.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Julia67 said:

I thought you were allowed to correct yourself as long as there was time left? 

You can only correct yourself before Alex rules your answer incorrect, not afterwards, as Ryan did.  Though Michelle managed to violate that rule and get away with it.

• Love 5