Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 7/19/2018 at 9:11 PM, Marmariposa said:

Can you imagine what it would be like to have Ryan as a co-worker? It's a wonder someone hasn't gone postal on him yet. I'm pretty sure I would if I had to face him every day and the prison time might even be worth it.

Now I feel guilty for basically saying how effing crazy Ryan makes me. That wasn't nice. How would I like it if I was on Jeopardy and someone wrote about wanting to, like, well, kill me? I guess I would have to stay away from this stuff. Or maybe just go to Reddit where they are nice to Jeopardy players, especially Ryan. Not just nice but Fenster fans. That would be fun, lots of nerds ghouling on a nerd like me. But then I would probably suspect that not everybody is my fan and I would be seeking out nasty stuff and then I would probably end up here and ok Ryan, if you are here, I'm sorry. You are so damn annoying and of course if you were my co-worker I wouldn't *really* want to kill you but I think I would have to run into my friend's office and talk about you all the time and then I think I would have to have it out with you and I would cry and maybe you would cry too and then we'd sort of end up being kind of friends, and that's how it would go. So who would you rather hang out with Ryan, all those dorks over at Reddit or me, who will tell you like it is? You are so effing annoying but hey you are kinda smart and I'm glad you have a lot of money to go traveling and I hope you can dial it down like a million notches and just be ok, not a showoff. Get a little French girlfriend. Relax, have a good time. See you on TOC. 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Well, it's a lot less time consuming than "I've always wanted to say this, let's make it a true Daily Double, Alex."

I liked Alex Jacob's "Bet it all." Direct and to the point.

• Love 9

I didn't get any TSs. I didn't get FJ. I was stuck on Ayn Rand even though I was pretty sure she was later than the '30s.

Anyway, I was very happy for Dave to do so well. I hope he continues to impress.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Aldous Huxley never occurred to me -- I was trying my best to make an Orwell novel fit, but couldn't.  Boo, hiss.

Hooray for Dave!  Normally I don't much care for runaways, but I cheered every time he rang in with the correct response.  It seemed like both Emily and Ryan kind of checked out about halfway through DJ.

I got Brave New World, but I didn't believe it was right until Alex said it was.

I was cheering Dave on because Ryan's last story wore out my last nerve. Nope, Ryan, it's still bragging even if you add a presumably self-deprecating comment.

I said, at the end, "there'll be much joy in forumville, now that mighty Ryan has struck out!"

But then I stopped cheering Dave on because of Ryan and began simply cheering for him - because, damn, he was a powerhouse!

• Love 13

Two straight days of easy FJs for me - Close Encounters and Brave New World (one of my all-time favorite books!).

Once I heard the "First Lines of Classic Songs" category name yesterday, I knew I would run it.  I wish they would have more like it.  Word Puzzles (which originated in GAMES magazine back in the 80s as "Wacky Wordies") was another good category for me.  Fun, too.

My first Doctor was Jon Pertwee, though Tom Baker was my favorite,

Glad Ryan is gone.  Wish eye candy Emily was still around.  Very impressed with Dave.  He was a machine.

• Love 8

YAY DAVE!!!! 

So glad we will not have to deal with smartest-guy-in-the-room-I-carried-my-quiz-bowl-team-puppy-abandoner Ryan until the ToC. Unless he somehow manages to weasel himself back on the show again.

TS I got were Reign of Terror (Ryan's missed DD) & magenta. No idea for FJ but was giddy at Dave's runaway so I wasn't really paying attention.

We got a 'good for you' & a 'hell-o' drink!drink!

9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Bosch is on Prime.

Thanks! Added to my watchlist

5 hours ago, teebax said:

I don't usually comment on contestants' physical appearance, but I really liked Emily's whole look. 

So did I. 

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I give thanks to the many gods who combined together to get rid of my personal nightmare that was Ryan Dickweed. Finally, some good news came out of this show.

Of course, he continues his self-absorbed jackassery by telling the world he "carried" his quiz bowl team. Thank goodness you were there to "carry" your teammates. It's too bad they were all brain-dead morons.

Meanwhile, Trebek continued his Ryan love by starting the show telling Emily and Dave how great Ryan is so, pretty much, they are screwed. Then R. is behind after the Jeopardy round, but Trebek announces: "Don't be worried about Ryan our champion, you know how well he performs in the second half."

Meanwhile, game well played Dave. Stay long enough to qualify for ToC so you an kick Ryan's ass again.

Can you imagine being one of his teammates, tuning into Jeopardy, & hearing this story 12 or so years later? Although I'm sure that at the time Ryan made sure everyone knew that their victory was thanks to him. 

What AT said about Ryan performing well in the 2nd round made me roll my eyes, but Dave was like, "hold my beer Trebek"

I would love to see ToC: Dave Kicks Ryan's Ass v. 2.0

Mary Berry was the GBBO judge. Unfortunately the show was re-tooled for season 8 & she is no longer on. 

• Love 12

You could literally (said in my best Chris Traeger voice) see the air go out of Ryan as the game went on.  He was arrogant once again during his interview (who DOES that on national television??  I was embarrassed for him!), and I thought he seemed very "pouty" and most ungracious as they rolled the credits.

Emily was lovely--except that her left fake eyelash was falling off a bit, and I wanted to reach into my TV and fix it during her interview!

Dave was impressive--and fast with that buzzer!  Go Dave!

I, too, guessed "Atlas Shrugged" for FJ.  At least those of us who did are in intelligent company!

• Love 5
(edited)

Dave really kicked it last night and I hope he makes it to the ToC. I also really liked the way that Emily wrote her name. It looked neat and original. I won’t coment on Ryan but I’m very happy that Dave won and I can reduce my wine consumption. I got all three DDs and said eggplant ? instead of mauve. Otherwise it was a ho hum game for me. I just blanked on FJ but was tickled for Dave’s runaway game. My guy did better than I did so he was pretty celebratory. He broke out the Hennessy! 

Edited by Mindthinkr
A word needed to be changed.
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Well, it's a lot less time consuming than "I've always wanted to say this, let's make it a true Daily Double, Alex."

I knew there would be plenty of gloating here after the defeat of Ryan. I never got that riled up about him, but even I lost patience after yet another humblebraggy story about his brilliance. Excellent game by Dave, and I hope he has a good run, but I also hope not all his games are runaways.

I remember one contestant (years ago) starting out with "I've always wanted to say this, Alex...I'd like to solve the puzzle" Alex was in hysterics...

• Love 8
(edited)

Thank the gods. Love you, Dave!

I got Reign of Terror, but since I’ve never read Brave New World or know anything about it other than the author’s name, completely flubbed FJ. Actually, I get Aldous Huxley confused with Thomas Huxley, so I always thought BNW was written in the mid-1800s. (ETA: just googled Thomas Huxley—he’s Aldous’s grandfather!)

My doctor is Tom Baker—met him at a DW convention in 1982 and even kissed him on his cheek. But, I will admit that I think the best performance as the Doctor was Matt Smith, who made me believe the youngest actor to play him was really ancient.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got all three DDs and said eggplant ? instead of mauve. Otherwise it was a ho hum game for me. I just blanked on FJ but was tickled for Dave’s runaway game. My guy did better than I did so he was pretty celebratory. He broke out the Hennessy! 

I said aubergine, because I thought they wanted the fancier version, for some reason (I forget the actual question).

59 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

My doctor is Tom Baker—met him at a DW convention in 1982 and even kissed him on his cheek. But, I will admit that I think the best performance as the Doctor was Matt Smith, who made me believe the youngest actor to play him was really ancient.

I didn't care for the Matt Smith era, but that could be due to the showrunner changing, and I had real issues with that one. However, I was very impressed by Smith as Philip on The Crown.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was very impressed by Smith as Philip on The Crown

I thought he did a good job on that too. He’s nominated for an Emmy for Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. 

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

What AT said about Ryan performing well in the 2nd round made me roll my eyes, but Dave was like, "hold my beer Trebek"

Nicely said ... Dave.

6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My guy did better than I did so he was pretty celebratory. He broke out the Hennessy! 

Well, you have to thrown them a bone once in a while or they get all pouty.

20 hours ago, teebax said:

That was a solid run by Ryan. I know he wasn't well liked on this board, but he was impressive as a player, especially in the second round of his games.

The thing that irks me about Ryan "qualifying" for TOC is that, unlike other TOC qualifiers, Ryan had several months of rest in between his fourth and fifth game. Other players have to keep going non stop. So he won FOUR games in a row, took a few months off, came back and won THREE games in a row. Never did he win FIVE games in a row as did others who made it to TOC. Four players have actually won five (or more) games in a row. Ryan is not one of them.

If I could play one game, rest a couple weeks, play the second game, rest a couple weeks and so on, I might make it to the TOC too.

17 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I said, at the end, "there'll be much joy in forumville, now that mighty Ryan has struck out!"

I love you for this!

I liked Emily, thought she was professional, composed and played well. I would have been happy if she won. However, as a long-time watcher of The Bachelor franchise, I was fascinated and somewhat distracted by her eyelashes. Other Bach watchers will know what I mean.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10

Thus, he became forever known as "Justyn-with-a-Y".

My grandmother picked names for her kids from the society pages of the Chicago Tribune. She chose Herbert Jockwyn for my uncle (my mom, Beatrice Rhea's bro), but my poor grandfather couldn't remember the name his wife had chosen and left the birth certificate blank. Then he was too embarrassed to admit it. Herbert Jockwyn became "Hub" until WWII broke out and he joined the army, whereupon he was officially known as "Baby Boy Schoenbrod."

• Love 10

I remarked on this point to myself during the game but forgot about it until reminded of it on another board:

Dave's answer of Erdogan should have or could have been negged since the clue had just told him the g wasn't pronounced. The man's name should have been pronounced Erdowan (or maybe Erdo ahn). 

I didn't know that until last night but I always noticed newscasters were not pronouncing his name the same way I was:)

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Trey said:

Dave's answer of Erdogan should have or could have been negged since the clue had just told him the g wasn't pronounced. The man's name should have been pronounced Erdowan (or maybe Erdo ahn). 

I caught that. Trebek hesitated so Dave repeated it a bit differently. I guess the judges said "Okay" in Trebek's ear since it was ruled correct. Another stellar judging moment!

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Trey said:

I remarked on this point to myself during the game but forgot about it until reminded of it on another board:

I didn't know that until last night but I always noticed newscasters were not pronouncing his name the same way I was:)

I think they ended up giving it to him because if the clue was written (e.g. in FJ) that would be how it would be spelled (spelt???). I can understand him not having the presence of mind to figure out how to pronounce a word differently than what he was used to in that circumstance. It would be different if he said 'Erdogan' and there was no 'G' in the word.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mystery Author said:

Herbert Jockwyn became "Hub" until WWII broke out and he joined the army, whereupon he was officially known as "Baby Boy Schoenbrod."

That reminds me of the Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) episode when Zippy the chimp gets enlisted in the army as Private Harry Speakup.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I said aubergine, because I thought they wanted the fancier version, for some reason (I forget the actual question).

I didn't care for the Matt Smith era, but that could be due to the showrunner changing, and I had real issues with that one. However, I was very impressed by Smith as Philip on The Crown.

The Amy Pond Saga ruined that for me. For that reason I could never enjoy Doctor Who while Matt Smith was there

• Love 2
(edited)

Hey Ryan, NOW's the time to sing: Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbyeeeeee!

On 7/21/2018 at 1:25 AM, Toothbrush said:

Can you imagine being one of his teammates, tuning into Jeopardy, & hearing this story 12 or so years later? Although I'm sure that at the time Ryan made sure everyone knew that their victory was thanks to him. 

Something tells me that Ryan spent most of his school years either getting beaten up or ignored, so I don't think his teammates would be too bothered.

FJ was an instathought, but I wasn't sure since I didn't realize it was written in 1932.

I liked both Emily (super cute style) and Dave the Ryan Slayer and would have been happy with either one as champ.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
grammar matters
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

My doctor is Tom Baker—met him at a DW convention in 1982 and even kissed him on his cheek. 

Tom Baker is hubby's fave Dr. I like him also

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I am reminded of the post-football game locker room scene in "Steel Magnolias" lol

• Love 1
13 hours ago, catrice2 said:

The Amy Pond Saga ruined that for me. For that reason I could never enjoy Doctor Who while Matt Smith was there

That would be what killed it for me. I hated the Time Traveler's Wife for the same reason - both were stories of adult men essentially grooming little girls to be their mates/companions when they got old enough. Plus, Matt Smith (at the time) didn't have (for me) the gravitas to turn into a frightening being at the flip of a switch, the way both Eccleston and Tennant did.

10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:
21 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I am reminded of the post-football game locker room scene in "Steel Magnolias" lol

I wish remembered that.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Trey said:

Technically the g is a vowel lengthener- it lengthens the preceding vowel. It is also the only letter in the Turkish alphabet that a word cannot start with.

Trebek mispronounced Recep, by the way. The c in Turkish is pronounced as a j. Unless there's a cedilla attached. Then it's pronounced as a ch.

Edited by mertensia
Trebek, not treble
  • Love 4

I've been avoiding the internet for several days and had 4 or 5 pages to catch up with. VERY happy Ryan's gone. Odd thing - I had a boss named Fenster & one of his kids moved from Atlanta to the NW; I had to google Ryan to make sure he wasn't Dick's grandson. He'd be about the right age. Thankfully, he's not related to my ex-boss.

Yes, the stoner dude reminded me, too, of Eliot Spencer/Christian Kane. I think that because of his hair, Eliot/Christian is the one person from Leverage that's most recognizable in other people, e.g., "He looks like Kane!"  (Have you ever wondered how disappointed parents must be when they name their kid "Christian" and s/he becomes an atheist?)

I am stunned at AT's pronunciation of "mauve" - mawve - instead of mohve. A chance to pretend to be French, and he blew it.

When I first tuned in to a Doctor Who & saw Tom Baker, I swore he was the son of Harpo Marx. (Harpo didn't have any biological kids, but he & Susan adopted a whole bunch of 'em; I figured Baker was an unknown from a dalliance.) LOL.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Trey said:

I spent some time in Turkey and heard his name all the time, and I listen to international news, and again, HEAR his name all the time--when I see Erdogan spelled out, I always get confused and try to remember if there was a recent change in leadership I should know about!

Good game, and I liked the outcome, but I think my favorite moment was when Ryan bet it all on the first DD--which I knew immediately--and then he got it wrong. Personal satisfaction only, but a lot of it.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Now how could I ever forget that scene? Must have been distracted by....something.

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"  (Have you ever wondered how disappointed parents must be when they name their kid "Christian" and s/he becomes an atheist?)

Or, if they named the kid ironically, and s/he becomes born again. LOL.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Hey Alex the famous Mattingly is named Don not Dave, I have no idea why Dave said he gets hat all the time.

I'm a Yankees fan, so I picked up on the last name right away.

I could see baseball fans noticing, but not everyone "all the time". Love Donnie Baseball, but I don't know how mainstream he is (Did do a Simpsons though).

• Love 3
10 hours ago, opus said:

I'm a Yankees fan, so I picked up on the last name right away.

I could see baseball fans noticing, but not everyone "all the time". Love Donnie Baseball, but I don't know how mainstream he is (Did do a Simpsons though).

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Hey Alex the famous Mattingly is named Don not Dave, I have no idea why Dave said he gets hat all the time.

I hate baseball but still know Mattingly's name - but I couldn't tell you if his first name was Don or Dave, so I am not surprised he'd get that all the time.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I hate baseball but still know Mattingly's name - but I couldn't tell you if his first name was Don or Dave, so I am not surprised he'd get that all the time.

I love baseball and know Don Mattingly's name, yet did not connect Don to Dave, his last name was said once and was followed by two other full introductions. I figured something was cut from the convo or it was a private joke about something that happened before filming started.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
On 7/22/2018 at 12:11 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

"  (Have you ever wondered how disappointed parents must be when they name their kid "Christian" and s/he becomes an atheist?)

Or, if they named the kid ironically, and s/he becomes born again. LOL.

Our son is Christian.  We never gave that one thought when choosing his name! Just liked it.  We are religious, so we would be disappointed if he chose atheism, but for many other more-important-to-us reasons than that he wasn't "living up" to his name! LOL!

• Love 5
On 7/19/2018 at 11:02 PM, saber5055 said:

Well, one would actually have to know that, wouldn't they. Star Wars was a pretty viable option in my mind.

That's what I'm starting to think. Age plus his accident/surgery. And generally maybe not caring all that much any more. Or being "above the law" like so many of the rich and famous.

and why wouldn't you know that?  like for real...how many films outside of the star wars franchise can you name that lucas directed and also nominated for an oscar?

40 minutes ago, Driad said:

The "What was Final Jeopardy? I missed it!" Thread used to be pinned, I think, but it is not now.  It is still down there in the forum though.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FUTURISTIC FICTION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Fear of the social reorganization represented by an auto tycoon’s innovations inspired this 1932 novel

I'm assuming you wanted someone to post FJ question:)

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Trey said:

I'm assuming you wanted someone to post FJ question:)

No, I just wondered why the FJ thread had become unpinned.

Thank you for the question, though; I didn't catch all of it when I watched.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Must be because of the sideburns. 

Yay!  It's safe to watch tonight!

2 hours ago, CasketRomance said:

and why wouldn't you know that?  like for real...how many films outside of the star wars franchise can you name that lucas directed and also nominated for an oscar?

You'd have to know that Star Wars was nominated, for one thing.  If scifi and Oscars aren't your categories, you probably aren't going to know that.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Driad said:

No, I just wondered why the FJ thread had become unpinned.

I'm not sure it was pinned. It's just there were so few "active" subforums that it was near the top. We have more active forums (the "Kit Carson Band", the "all about Alex", etc.), so it fell down the list. If you scroll for it, you will find it (last post from March (maybe 2017 even)).

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Driad said:

The "What was Final Jeopardy? I missed it!" Thread used to be pinned, I think, but it is not now.  It is still down there in the forum though.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I'm not sure it was pinned. It's just there were so few "active" subforums that it was near the top. We have more active forums (the "Kit Carson Band", the "all about Alex", etc.), so it fell down the list. If you scroll for it, you will find it (last post from March (maybe 2017 even)).

I wouldn't swear on my life, but I referred to it a couple weeks ago and I don't remember it being so far down on the list.  And most of the things above it (other than Kit Carson and a couple others) haven't had any activity lately, so I don't see anything to explain a sudden "sink" in the list.  But it has some useful links in it, so maybe whether it was pinned before or not, it's worth asking if it could be pinned now.

• Love 2

A month or so ago, I was looking for the Kit Carson thread and it was completely gone. I was all, WTHeck! Did mods remove it? Before completely freaking out, I went back and looked again ... and found it all the way at the bottom of the page. So maybe PTV housekeeping tosses threads around once in a while. You know, to keep our brains sharp. *cough*

• Love 1