Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I'm probably the only person looking forward to seeing the ToC again featuring Buzzy and Austin (I'm a big fan of Buzzy and Austin). 

No, you're not the only one.  I really liked both Buzzy and Austin so I am looking forward to a repeat of the ToC.  Don't know if I'll bother too much with the other tournaments, whatever they turn out to be.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, opus said:

Chuck Forrest, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he credited with popularizing the concept of board hopping?

You are correct sir (Ed McMahon voice). Chuck Forrest invented board hopping, which people somewhere call The Forrest Bounce. Here we just call it PITA. I just read that yesterday looking at Trebek's fav contestants, and Forrest is one. The funny part is, on that page is a quote from Trebek: "The host isn't the star of Jeopardy!...The contestants are." Yeah, right.

Here is the pic of Chuck from that web page:

chuck_forrest.png

I'm okay with watching TOC again since I know Austin LOSES. I didn't mind Buzzy.

• Love 4
On 7/28/2018 at 10:52 AM, Trey said:

eta: Apparently I liked your post a long time ago so I can't like it again even though it's still funny:)

I liked it also.  I know it's well into being unshakably pink, but I'm all for solidarity when it comes to pink.  The professor with whom I work loves pink.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, PaulaO said:

For those not watching the tournament reruns, there will be extra band practice.

That means some delicious Mindthinkr meals! Hooray! I will have to polish up on my Ed Grimley choreography. I already have his hairstyle.

3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Or it will be like Groundhog Day where you know all the answers! 

If only. Side note: I heard on the radio this morning there is a Halfway to Groundhog Day celebration in Woodstock, Ill., on August 2. They are doing a tour of movie locations, then showing the movie in the park at dark. Here's a flyer. There will be a polka band AND drinks! *DRINK!* (Although it's lemonade.) Too funny the flyer shows a "No Animals Allowed" sign behind the giant groundhog. Meet you guys there?

I forgot all about Jeopardy today and only remembered to turn it on for the last few minutes. I guess I don't care all that much. 

• Love 4

I remember Gene Finerman, writer from Chicago and Bob Verini. The other guy in the TOC was also of Italian descent. Finerman was in the middle position and made a crack something along the line about Jesus, the Jew, between two Romans, which was promptly edited out in subsequent reruns.

I thought it was hilarious. But then, I'm not a Christian.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If only. Side note: I heard on the radio this morning there is a Halfway to Groundhog Day celebration in Woodstock, Ill., on August 2. They are doing a tour of movie locations, then showing the movie in the park at dark. Here's a flyer. There will be a polka band AND drinks! *DRINK!* (Although it's lemonade.) Too funny the flyer shows a "No Animals Allowed" sign behind the giant groundhog. Meet you guys there?

Strike up the music the band has begun
The Pennsylvania Polka.
Pick out your partner and join in the fun
The Pennsylvania Polka.
It started in Scranton, it's now No 1
It's bound to entertain you
Everybody has a mania
To do the polka from Pennsylvania

Rita always drinks to World Peace. 

It's one of my all-time favorite movies. I've been to Woodstock to see the movie locations, but not on Halfway to or Groundhog Day itself. I stepped the puddle and walked around. I've been to Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney. Maybe one year I'll go out there for the main event. It sounds it will be a great time.   

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

And suggests as his replacement some hockey announcer I have never heard of.  I don't see that happening. 

I heard on the radio this a.m. that he suggested two different announcers, one a sports guy, from LA I think. A young guy. I thought it interesting both were announcers and not celebrity names that have been tossed around here. Then again, the radio host said Johnny Carson didn't get to name his successor so it's doubtful Trebek will get to either. I also doubt any of us will get a say in it although we are free to express our thoughts about it.

The link to the upcoming-now-over-with interview is in the Jeopardy media thread. I'm sure the video can be replayed somewhere.

9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

It's one of my all-time favorite movies.

Mine too. I can watch it over and over. (There's a joke there somewhere.) I've been to Woodstock many times although I've never done the Groundhog tour. One year on GH Day a tv station ran the movie all day long. Talk about heaven. And "YES" to world peace.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
On ‎07‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:29 PM, lb60 said:

Congrats to Rick.  He was on the last segment of my local news last night (6abc-Philly).  Nothing big, just video of him watching the show with family and friends.  No interview.

Tonight I got whinny, list, and Shirley Chisholm.  

Lexington (and Concord) was on my short list of guesses for FJ, but I was in no way confident with that answer.

I can't believe they didn't know Shirley Chisholm.  Man, I must be old.  I also got ration and Diane Arbus, although I'll confess to saying Annie Leibovitz first and then changing it.  In time, though.  It took me a moment, but I got Lexington for FJ, too.

On ‎07‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were messenger, Andrea Dora, Peggy Guggenheim, confidentiality. Rick's DD of St. Lawrence River was ridiculously easy.

I got all those for that game, as well as underprivileged and the FJ of Billy Graham.

• Love 3
On ‎07‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, opus said:

Chuck Forrest, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he credited with popularizing the concept of board hopping?

jp_vid_toc_chuckforrest.jpg

You are not wrong - in fact, the correct name for that move is the Forrest Bounce.  I always liked him, even with the bouncing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Color me stupid, but I still don't understand the Mr. Ed clue.  How does whinny sound like it?  My horse doesn't whinny, she nickers.

"Nicker" could have been ruled correct. If you had been on that episode and buzzed in first, we would know if the judges agreed. I still stand with my answer of "Wilbur."

• Love 6
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I can't believe they didn't know Shirley Chisholm. 

I honestly thought she is someone that everyone should know, young or old.  Then I came here and people didn't know her, and I didn't want to point out that I thought everyone should know her.  lol  No need to make people feel stoopid!

I turned over from MSNBC last night, only to see Buzzy.  Right back to MSNBC I went.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I honestly thought she is someone that everyone should know, young or old.  Then I came here and people didn't know her, and I didn't want to point out that I thought everyone should know her.  lol  No need to make people feel stoopid!

I turned over from MSNBC last night, only to see Buzzy.  Right back to MSNBC I went.

I didn’t know her and I completely agree that everyone should know her. As much as people here razz on the “women authors” and “black authors” kinds of categories, I think they are currently important. It’s similar to the necessity of black history month or women’s history month. Our “normal” history or lauded/well-known people are overwhelmingly skewed. Sure, I’d be happy if the “classic authors” categories had broader diversity, but we just aren’t there yet. 

• Love 9

I missed Buzzy Monday cuz the DVR didn’t pick up since it was a rerun.  Today I get to see Austin, although the promo said Alan is also on which makes no sense.  IMHO a whinny is different than a nicker.  A whinny says “HEY LOOK AT ME” whereas a nicker is “Mom’s here, where are my treats?”  I gotta let the Mr. Ed thing go.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Shirley Chisholm is the first person I ever voted for President. I was finally old enough to vote!

I recognized Ms. Chisholm, just couldn't bring her name forward. I've been reading about her since her mention on Jeopardy. We could use a Shirley Chisholm now, that's for sure. To use a Trebekian phrase, she was before her time.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Today I get to see Austin,

I'll be busy.

• Love 8

I’m going to throw 2 very unpopular opinions out there.

First of all, I like Buzzy. He knows exactly who he is. He’s full of self confidence, but talks affectionately about his family. and even brought one of his teachers to the program. I think he’s a good guy, and how he acts is just his shtick..

Jennings is super smart but dull as dishwater. He gives off an air of superiority. The show would certainly be more entertaining with Buzzy..

It going to be a tough job picking a replacement for Alex. He is well read and could play the game in his sleep. He has been a good host all these years. 

Maybe, they could choose several candidates, put each one on the air for a week with Alex mentoring, and then put it to an audience vote.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, bythelake said:

It going to be a tough job picking a replacement for Alex.

Ain't that the truth!  I can manage to last a week or so with unpleasant contestants, but I would have to give the show up if they hired an unpleasant host.  I know I rag on Alex all the time, but he is a good host, generally speaking.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, bythelake said:

I’m going to throw 2 very unpopular opinions out there.

First of all, I like Buzzy. He knows exactly who he is. He’s full of self confidence, but talks affectionately about his family. and even brought one of his teachers to the program. I think he’s a good guy, and how he acts is just his shtick..

Jennings is super smart but dull as dishwater. He gives off an air of superiority. The show would certainly be more entertaining with Buzzy..

It going to be a tough job picking a replacement for Alex. He is well read and could play the game in his sleep. He has been a good host all these years. 

Maybe, they could choose several candidates, put each one on the air for a week with Alex mentoring, and then put it to an audience vote.

I like  him too, and agree about Jennings.

I have no skin in the game in regard to replacements - I'm old enough to remember the transition to Trebeck and complaining that he was no Art Fleming. So I know I will probably grumble at first (who is this whippersnapper?! get off my show!) and then will get used to him - or her.

• Love 6

It's been so long since I've seen these shows that they're like new (and with around 14,000 questions per season, it's easy to see why).  So, it's not quite like Groundhog Day ... which happens to be my favorite movie of all-time.  I've been on the tour in Woodstock during Groundhog Days, and I live only a few miles from there.  "I studied 19th century French poetry"  "What a waste of time!"  Heh.

I liked the three of a kind category.

When Alex started hosting in 1984, the only thing I had remembered him from was High Rollers, which featured contestants rolling over-sized dice and Alex with his cheesy 70s 'stache.  I had pretty low expectations.  He turned out to be much better than expected.  That said, I'm willing to give anyone a chance, but whoever it is needs to be reasonably intelligent. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, M. Darcy said:

Apples!  I still can't believe the only one of them knew that answer last night. Heh, well technically Washington! 

I was pleased I got it, but then I thought - do I know this because I know it, or because I watched this episode and remembered it. Then I decided it didn't matter where I learned it - just that I did. :)

• Love 2

Iowa was a good guess on the apples question.  If I remember my grade school history, Iowa was #1 for apples through the 1800's at least, until a harsh winter killed everything.  (Iowan here.)

I scoffed at Florida, but that's only because I think of apples as a fall crop, and how can there be a fall crop in an area where there's no fall? 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

In general I agree Ken Jennings can be pretty dull, but he did have a great line when he heard about these rumors again about Trebek :

Not to be snooty about it, but I posted that in the Media thread a few days ago.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Obviously FJ!  was referencing apples.

Not obvious. See below.

4 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I scoffed at Florida, but that's only because I think of apples as a fall crop, and how can there be a fall crop in an area where there's no fall? 

Apples were not in the clue, just that there was a bumper crop of something that people sold on street corners. Florida produces oranges. It was not a bad guess. The person who wrote "Iowa" might have been thinking corn/sweet corn. Side note: Apple trees need a chill to set buds in spring, making that crop difficult for Florida but it can be done using certain varieties.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Apples were not in the clue, just that there was a bumper crop of something that people sold on street corners. Florida produces oranges. It was not a bad guess. The person who wrote "Iowa" might have been thinking corn/sweet corn. Side note: Apple trees need a chill to set buds in spring, making that crop difficult for Florida but it can be done using certain varieties.

Oh wow, I don't remember the exact wording, but didn't it reference the great depression?  In my mind, that's totally linked to people selling apples on street corners.  I would never have thought it was anything else.  Maybe it depends on when you grew up and what you learned (or didn't learn) about that time.  Brother can you spare a dime?

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh wow, I don't remember the exact wording, but didn't it reference the great depression?  In my mind, that's totally linked to people selling apples on street corners.  I would never have thought it was anything else. 

That's why I knew the answer was apples, so guessed Washington. It's one of the few FJs I've gotten correct. My first thought was matches (Little Match Girl) although I live in farm country and no one grows matches here. The apples thing sparked quite a discussion here about apples being gassed to last longer, and which states grows the best apples. (Answer: All states produce delicious apples, but all apples taste not-so-good after being stored in gas chambers for a year.)

• Love 2
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That's why I knew the answer was apples, so guessed Washington. It's one of the few FJs I've gotten correct. My first thought was matches (Little Match Girl) although I live in farm country and no one grows matches here. The apples thing sparked quite a discussion here about apples being gassed to last longer, and which states grows the best apples. (Answer: All states produce delicious apples, but all apples taste not-so-good after being stored in gas chambers for a year.)

That was exactly my thought process - but when thinking about matches I went to states like Oregon that have a lot of lumber (as does Washington for that matter).

• Love 2
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I usually don't see or dwell on contestants resembling other people, but Thursday's Sam Deutsch kept reminding me of Fred Armisen, so of course I thought he was cute.

fred-armisen.jpg.595f57ee24d9495ec918101f041a752b.jpg

Yeah, but he lost me at Kanye.

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, saber5055 said:

Not to be snooty about it, but I posted that in the Media thread a few days ago.

Not obvious. See below.

I apologize for not reading the other thread and knowing you already posted it.  I don't go to that media thread very often. 

• Love 3
On 8/3/2018 at 6:46 PM, saber5055 said:

Ha!  Any fan of Mary Worth "worth" the name knows that comic strip started out as Apple Mary during the Great Depression.

• Love 5

It's weird watching the reruns and seeing how much time they're giving Austin to correct himself when he initially gives a wrong answer, especially compared to the most recent new episodes.  Did the ruling on that in general change since those shows took place or did they just let Austin slide because they loved him so much?

• Love 2

Did the ruling on that in general change since those shows took place or did they just let Austin slide because they loved him so much?

It seems a pattern if they like someone they let them get away with a lot.  

• Love 3

I completely blew Monday's FJ!  My thought process was "Pied Piper of Hamlin, Hamlin equals Hamilton."  My knowledge of vice-presidents is on a par with my knowledge of geography.  As in, I'm an idiot.  However, I got Tuesday's FJ! with absolutely no problem.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Would just "Hamlin" have been accepted?

Since Austin just wrote "Who is Hamlin?" and it was accepted, the answer is yes. (ok, it may not have been Austin, but I know one contestant did & it was accepted).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Since Austin just wrote "Who is Hamlin?" and it was accepted, the answer is yes. (ok, it may not have been Austin, but I know one contestant did & it was accepted).

Well, duh me.  I remembered one contestant answered Hannibal Hamlin but didn't recall the other.

As much as most of us hate when they start in the middle, it seems that all the contestants this week are doing it.  I'm interested to see if this continues with the other tournaments.  (I hadn't watched Jeopardy in years, until a few months ago.)  If so, maybe it really is a good strategy.

Oh -- today's the first time I heard Alex say "genre".  Good lord.

• Love 2