Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So maybe PTV housekeeping tosses threads around once in a while. You know, to keep our brains sharp. *cough*

But they don't do it with a fake French accent?

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I don't think so, but I suspect at least one owns a French maid outfit.

And many of us have muumuus.  [/WestWingFandom]

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

A month or so ago, I was looking for the Kit Carson thread and it was completely gone. I was all, WTHeck! Did mods remove it? Before completely freaking out, I went back and looked again ... and found it all the way at the bottom of the page. So maybe PTV housekeeping tosses threads around once in a while. You know, to keep our brains sharp. *cough*

I haven't checked with Jeopardy, but on my feed,  episodes and topics tend to move around based on when posts were last made to them. The most current and active ones at the top, and the others sink and rise depending.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Driad said:

And many of us have muumuus.  [/WestWingFandom]

Too funny. Today Dan Zak (WaPo reporter I follow) tweeted about his caftan getting caught in his keyboard. That's sort of a muumuu, although nothing like a French maid outfit. Oh, for some flowing, billowing fabric ...

29 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I haven't checked with Jeopardy, but on my feed,  episodes and topics tend to move around based on when posts were last made to them. The most current and active ones at the top, and the others sink and rise depending.

That's how I get it. It all seems to be there in proper reverse order...

Season 34 and Mod Notes pinned to the top

Media thread- last post 4 hours ago

Small talk- last post yesterday 11:58 am

Kit Carson- last post July 12

Mark Blankenship- last post July 1

Q: This game show host- last post June 24

Jeopardy experiences- last post June 21

Jeopardy test- last post April 18

Jeopardy improvements- last post Nov 22 2017

Season 33 - locked, with last post Sept 1 2017

Spoilers-last post April 22 2017

and then the aforementioned FJ thread- last post March 27 2017

• Love 1

I half appreciated Neel's speed in picking categories, and half hated it, because most of the time I could barely understand what he was saying, he spoke so fast.  And both guys lost me with the skipping of the lowest valued clue in each category.  I get going for higher valued clues (I don't like it, but I get it), but what is the point of just going one clue down?  Why not just start at the top?

Anyway, FJ was an instaget, of course, and I also got Ron Howard, loggerhead turtle, and clamming.  I should have gotten protists for the algae one, but I keep forgetting they've added more Kingdoms since I learned them lo, these many years ago. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Neel got off to a fast start, but Dave is just too dominating. I got pin (to make 10-pin rather than the traditional 9 pin bowling), Ron Howard, clamming and the very easy FJ.

I guess Neel's parents were afraid his name would be pronounced wrong if they spelled it Neal or Neil. Instead they ended up with a name that looks like it's spelled wrong.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 8
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Anyway, FJ was an instaget, of course, and I also got Ron Howard, loggerhead turtle, and clamming.  I should have gotten protists for the algae one, but I keep forgetting they've added more Kingdoms since I learned them lo, these many years ago. 

Yeah, FJ was absurdly easy. Did they really need that "Sound familiar?" remark, It was French phrases for goodness' sake.  

Algae are very strange from a taxonomic perspective too as they could, including plants, fit into 4 kingdoms,. I know the answer they were looking for was Protist (or Protozoa), but there are blue-green algae that are considered bacteria. In the 7 kingdom model (not to be confused with the 7 kingdoms of Westeros), there's a whole kingdom called Chromista that is basically encompasses a variety of algae that don't fit into the other kingdoms. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Kathira said:

I guess Neel's parents were afraid his name would be pronounced wrong if they spelled it Neal or Neil. Instead they ended up with a name that looks like it's spelled wrong.

Neel is a common Western spelling of the (East) Indian name.

• Love 4

Like everyone else, I got Ron Howard, loggerhead and clamming. And FJ.

This is the first time in memory that any one of the three could have won and I'd have been fine with that outcome. I like runaways because it lessens my stress when I favor that player, but today I was disappointed since I wanted any one of them to win. By, you know, really coming through with a TOUGH FJ ANSWER. So thanks but no thanks judges for a FJ even I got.

If only more contestants/games were like today. You guys should be happy about it too because look ... I don't have anything else to say here. Except see ya'll tomorrow.

• Love 5
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Kathira said:

OK. I guess I didn't catch that he was Indian. My bad.

Don't feel bad!  I hate pretentious name-spelling (though almost always it's the parents who are to blame), this one just happens to be authentic (as authentic as transliteration can be considered to be).  Hello Caitlion.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 5

I had the same gets as everyone else. That was an exciting finish to DJ! My girlfriend wondered if Neel had to pee because he was choosing so quickly. I'd take that over slow as molasses any day, though. Congrats to Dave. At this rate we could have a TOC rematch beteen him and Ryan. That'd be pretty cool. 

• Love 10

I had Ron Howard, clamming, and pinniped.  FJ was a gimme.

Dave is still a machine, but I despise the $0 bet in FJ (again).  Bet something.  You've answered so many questions that the game is a runaway, why not take the opportunity to add to your winnings?

• Love 4

Three nice, non-obnoxious contestants. The only beef I had was with Neel's fast talking; if he runs as fast as he talks he must do well in his half-marathons. We had to rewind & turn on closed captioning a few times to get what he said. I still didn't hear 'Holy Roman Empire' after listening 3 times. 

TS I got were Craig T. Nelson Mandela, Ron Howard, clamming. FJ was an instaget and far too easy for FJ. 

3 hours ago, opus said:

They kept it quiet.

<groan> I had never heard of the Silent Parade (1917 was before my time), and wish they would have started at the top of this category since the first clue gave some background information, even though the clues revealed before were easy to get.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Dave is still a machine, but I despise the $0 bet in FJ (again).  Bet something.  You've answered so many questions that the game is a runaway, why not take the opportunity to add to your winnings?

Yes, on Friday he could have easily bet more as he had a very substantial runaway and could have gone up to $14,199 and still put an end to our Jeopardy! nightmare. If you recall though, he didn't answer correctly so perhaps he didn't feel comfortable with the category of futuristic fiction. 

Today, it was a runaway by $200. Neel's score had he gone all-in was $22,400. Dave had $22,600. I suppose he could have bet $199 dollars while protecting the win. 

• Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got clamming because an episode of Chopped horrified me with a Quahog clam which are damned ugly. I thought maybe I forgot my Kingdoms, but I'm glad to hear it's  not a memory issue,  it's just because I'm old and science has been updated.

10 hours ago, opus said:

They kept it quiet.

Hah! I never heard of it, but now I want to find out more. I found the photo pretty awe inspiring.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

And I knew pinniped because it showed up on Jeopardy recently.

13 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I had Ron Howard, clamming, and pinniped.

The contestant (forgot which one) also knew pinniped since that clue was answered, not a TS. I know, since I answered it out loud here, expecting it to be one and was disappointed that it was not. I wrote an article on pinnipeds some years ago and have always liked the word.

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got clamming because an episode of Chopped horrified me with a Quahog clam which are damned ugly.

Go to Seattle and you will be confronted with numerous photos of the geoduck clam. You won't forget that, ever.

• Love 6

I thought that McCarthy answer merited a BMS - I persistently confuse Eugene and Joe.

Oystering? I've never heard of anyone going oystering.

Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't understand Neel. And I did think he was a bit of a doofus for saying "no comment" when Alex asked him whether his girlfriend was a better runner than he was. Be a standup guy - say yes!

I'm okay with Dave, which is better than loathing him, but I'm kind meh on him.

The Fifth Avenue parade question in Silent Parade was also ridiculously easy. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, mookster said:

And I did think he was a bit of a doofus for saying "no comment" when Alex asked him whether his girlfriend was a better runner than he was. Be a standup guy - say yes!

I know. What a jackass. And obviously not trained well enough to be husband material. I hope she kicks his ass in the next race.

8 minutes ago, mookster said:

LOL. And none of the contestants had ever heard of clamming. So ... there you go!

• Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, mookster said:

I live near the Chesapeake Bay, and oystering is the verbiage used here, but it does not involve digging.  I knew that one from watching Family Guy waaaaaay back when.

Edited to note that I realize pinniped was not a TS - I was just thrilled to actually remember it, that's all.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Go to Seattle and you will be confronted with numerous photos of the geoduck clam. You won't forget that, ever.

I encourage everyone unfamiliar with geoduck to google it.  Just not at work.  It's a fabulous freak of nature.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got clamming because an episode of Chopped horrified me with a Quahog clam which are damned ugly.

I didn't know what a Quahog clam looks like so I did a search. Turns out it's just a regular round shut-shelled clam like is found in the Mississippi. No "insides" visible, just the closed round shell that one has to pry open to see the living guy inside. Not sure what you saw on Chopped Clanstarling.

What's interesting though, is I came across a story about Ming, the oldest living (well, he was) clam at 507 years of age. Here is the article. Don't worry: There are no gruesome photos.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2018 at 12:27 AM, Driad said:

Re "No Name" brand ... there was a 1980s movie called "Repo Man."  Unlike many movies and TV shows, it did not feature familiar products, but used generic ones with black and white labels.  At one point a character was eating out of a can labeled only FOOD.

Those were real (OK, not "FOOD") and--for me at least as a kid in the '80s--embarrassing (which I'm now embarrassed to have felt!). I always hoped no one I knew would see me in the generics aisle or with the unmistakable black and white packaging in the cart. Here and here are a couple of blog posts about them.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:40 PM, Browncoat said:

I feel like I should watch Poldark.  Possibly even with the sound off.  LOL

I  watch mostly for the horses and landscapes.

On 7/20/2018 at 9:38 PM, GreekGeek said:

Well, it's a lot less time consuming than "I've always wanted to say this, let's make it a true Daily Double, Alex."

You forgot "please."

Woohoo to tennis knowledge helping me get this clue correct: Last name meanings in this language include Pospisil, "one who hurried", & Navratil, "one who returned"

Most people have probably heard of Martina Navratilova, and there's a current player named Vasek Pospisil, whose parents and brothers escaped Czechoslovakia a couple of years before he was born (in Canada).

• Love 5

When I worked for dentists, we had a patient whose last name was Pospisilova, which I asked her to pronounce for me. Everybody else in the office avoided her last name.  In high school, I had a classmate with the last name Navratil.

• Love 3

We had a terrific thunderstorm last night that knocked out my internet right after Jeopardy, but I thought I'd better post so that I'm not accused of being a stoner instead of a forgetful old bag.

All three contestants were pleasant.  I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who had a hard time understanding Neel.  Congrats to Dave.

Looks like I got the popular TS - Ron Howard, loggerhead, and clam digging.

I can be the mascot for most stupid J fan.  I was clueless for FJ.  *hangs head in shame*  I blame it on Alex and the word "French" in the clue.  It paralyzed me.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

• Love 10

I am blaming Mr.Trey for my not getting FJ.  He started talking about something non-FJ related during the think music and it distracted me so the best I could come up with was clairvoyance. You would think he would know better by now.

• Love 5

And...despite the fact that one contestant had nothing...I believe FJ today also belonged in "Embryo Jeopardy". BTW, the champ could have bet about $10K and still have won the game. Granted, "Fashion" might not be his category, but he didn't even bet the $1400 to bring him up to an even $30K for today. How far ahead does he have to be in order to bet something for FJ?!!!

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, mookster said:

Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't understand Neel. And I did think he was a bit of a doofus for saying "no comment" when Alex asked him whether his girlfriend was a better runner than he was. Be a standup guy - say yes!

Basically, the no comment was "no, I think I'm the better runner." His GF isn't going to be too happy.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't know what a Quahog clam looks like so I did a search. Turns out it's just a regular round shut-shelled clam like is found in the Mississippi. No "insides" visible, just the closed round shell that one has to pry open to see the living guy inside. Not sure what you saw on Chopped Clanstarling.

What's interesting though, is I came across a story about Ming, the oldest living (well, he was) clam at 507 years of age. Here is the article. Don't worry: There are no gruesome photos.

After all the talk about the geoduck, I'm betting that's what I saw and got Quahog confused with it, because the name just seemed right for something so ugly.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

After all the talk about the geoduck, I'm betting that's what I saw and got Quahog confused with it, because the name just seemed right for something so ugly.

Note that geoduck is pronounced "gooey duck." Family Guy takes place in Quahog, Rhode Island, and Peter hangs out at the Drunken Clam. See ... everything in life is circular.

My tv croaked this morning so I watched today's episode online. It was already posted at 5:30 central time. Fast.

• Love 5

Wow, Dave really is a dominating player, although I agree that his FJ betting is frustrating. Especially since he's a high better on Daily Doubles. 

I got Mormon (I'd never heard of the Council of the 12 Apostles thing but it seemed obvious that it had to be the Mormons. Pretentious, American + patriarchal = LDS. My apologies to any believer here). Also Bull Mastiff (which should have been a BMS), gear, cornet, Virginia and the super easy FJ.

As for Tara's interview about her alma mater - way to make it all about yourself, Alex.

• Love 10

I have a love/hate relationship with runaway games. Today's was ridiculous. Didn't the champ have almost THREE TIMES as much money as second place? And for God's sake, please bet SOMETHING.

• Love 7

Answer:     Monologue

Question:  What is the proper term for Trebek's "interview" with tonight's first contestant, Tara?

After all his blabbing, Tara got to say a grand total of about 6 words, 4 of which were in answer to a lengthy question.  Bad form again, Alex.

• Love 11
42 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Note that geoduck is pronounced "gooey duck." Family Guy takes place in Quahog, Rhode Island, and Peter hangs out at the Drunken Clam. See ... everything in life is circular.

My tv croaked this morning so I watched today's episode online. It was already posted at 5:30 central time. Fast.

Top Chef Seattle (Season10) also featured geoducks prominantly. It was pretty funny. http://bravotv.com/top-chef/season-10/videos/everyone-wants-geoduck

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Runaway games are no fun. Why does he keep betting 0 for FJ? That annoys me too.

I agree, especially with this guy.  The zero FJ bets, and starting with the second clue -- quirky, but not in the interesting way. 

• Love 6
(edited)
23 minutes ago, SHD said:

I have a love/hate relationship with runaway games. Today's was ridiculous. Didn't the champ have almost THREE TIMES as much money as second place? And for God's sake, please bet SOMETHING.

Dave said he was going to bet something but then the category was "fashion." I think Tara not betting it all on her DD was a big mistake. She said at the point she was trying to protect 2nd place but the game wasn't a runaway at that point. I'm sure it's easier from my recliner though.

Alex's interview of Tara was absolutely ridiculous. He's such a tool. 

My gets were Mormon, Total Recall, bull mastiff, gear ratio, Virginia, Colombia, friction, strain and another easy FJ. I agree Beth should've gotten a BMS for "mastiff." 

Edited by teebax
Drinking while posting
  • Love 12