Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Then the tournaments last six weeks, right? Teachers, teen, college, TofC? Seems like we just had those, although time does run together as one gets older. Meaning my year is about six minutes long.

We had a TOC This season aswell with Buzzy winning and I be shocked if they don't show that again doing the summer break. 

nevermind you had toc writen down don't know where my minds at tonight lol

Edited by SuperCam1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, SHD said:

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln? 

This made me laugh.

22 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Burt got a GFY!  Drink! 

Correction: Burt got TWO GFY. So drink drink! (Take a do over Carpe.)

I was taken aback with a clue asking what "chippie" is a nickname for since that's an old-timey term for a ... well, loose woman.

I got walnut (my property is thick with them), Chagall (yeay for my BFA), tightrope walker (just because I knew it) and bear (because that story has been all over the news).

I've never heard of intinction, and never once has any priest offered to dunk my wafer in the wine goblet for me. When did that become a thing? To save communion time, or maybe cut the priests needed to "serve the line"? Okay, so lightning strike me now.

Well, I feel terrible about Dave. He did a gutsy DD though, so nothing ventured I guess. I was just ASSuming he was going to TofC, he was such a machine. But three games in a row has to be brain numbing ... right other players? Now I feel we jinxed him here, all of us liking him and ASSuming he would continue on to win five games. I'm personally bummed.

The crazy thing is, Burt started out nervous like he was going to have some sort of breakdown, I felt sorry for him and wanted him to do well so he didn't go home depressed and dejected. I just didn't mean for him to do THAT well.

But Burt could be a member of The Kit Carson et. al. Band given that he's a trumpet guy. So there's that.

• Love 11

I hated Ron immediately after his "All right!!!!" reaction after an easy answer.  And then he did it again immediately after.

Surprised at how many (what I thought were easy) clues they all missed - walnuts, Chagal, Arles, and more.

The macadamia clue?  You might as well ask what letter comes after "a".

Alex on the original sin question "thanks a lot, Adam."  Actually, the story is that Eve picked the first apple and took the first bite.

"One is the other's best friend".  Who is the other's best friend?  Or did you mean each is the other's best friend, or even, they are best friends?

Sorry to be grumpy, it's way too hot here.

• Love 9

I ran the Billboard #1 hits category and had Eats, Shoots & Leaves, Managua, and dipping bread into wine,  FJ was easy to deduce.

How was that DD phrased?  I remember it said a Central American capital sharing the same final four letters as its country.  El Salvador's capital is San Salvador, meaning they have the same final eight letters.  Would that have been an acceptable answer, as well?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yo, Ron, I'm pretty sure baby rhinos aren't called pups.  They don't look anything like pups.

To be fair to Ron, baby sharks don't look much like baby dogs, yet they are also called pups. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, teebax said:

I had the same thought. Ron was too much with the celebrations after correct responses, but his FJ response was funny.. 

I'm usually easily annoyed so the only reason I can think I wasn't too bugged by Ron was he seemed genuinely happy to be there and I thought his FJ answer was funny (and also referenced my Imaginary Hollywood Boyfriend). He also balanced the hyper-intensity emanating from the other two.

That was an impressive comeback for Burt who looked as though he was going to pass out the whole match.

For TS I got an early one I can't remember, Arles, tightrope walker, and Freetown, and the missed DD "way", but totally blanked on FJ (other than figuring it was in Asia). I wanted to kick myself when it was revealed.

• Love 9

Missed most of DJ & then FJ due to a news conference w/Pres Trump & the president of the European Commission. It was pre-empted during the WWII category which annoyed Dr. Toothbrush since WWII is one of his wheelhouses. Sad that Dave lost, but I figured he was hosed after his all-in missed DD. I did like his green shirt pink tie combo.

TS I got were Eats, Shoots, & Leaves; walnuts; tightrope walker; way (Burt's missed DD)

Agree that Ron was reminiscent of Tobias Funke. 

4 hours ago, SHD said:

Dave did not win. The FJ category was BRIDGES and Ron had no clue so just wrote "Jeff Bridges."

That's pretty funny!

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yo, Ron, I'm pretty sure baby rhinos aren't called pups.  They don't look anything like pups.

Well, baby bears aren't called pups, either.  I think the situation was that this guy thought he had some unusual looking puppies, but it turned out they were bear cubs.

A bit of Googling reveals to me that this is apparently not an isolated incident.

I can sort of understand the guess of "rhino."  There is a species called the black rhinoceros, and it is critically endangered.  On the other hand, the black rhino lives in Africa, not China, so not the greatest guess in the world.

• Love 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I've never heard of intinction, and never once has any priest offered to dunk my wafer in the wine goblet for me. When did that become a thing? To save communion time, or maybe cut the priests needed to "serve the line"? Okay, so lightning strike me now.

We do it that way in my church all the time. It saves having to wash all those tiny cups and is more sanitary than having everyone drink from a common cup. The priest/pastor doesn't dunk it for you. You take a piece of bread, dunk it and eat it. One person (an elder or deacon) holds a dish of bread pieces (we don't use the pre-made wafers) and another holds the cup. They either stand at the front and the congregation files past them, or they come around, depending on how large your group is or how the seating is arranged. For a big group, you may have more than one station. I'm Presbyterian, but I think the practice is pretty widespread at least in Protestant churches. As a note, we don't use actual wine anymore. We use grape juice, due to concerns for allergies, medication interaction or alcoholism.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 9

I ran the WWII category even though it was before my time.  Had no clue as to FJ! but somehow, being the Official Geographic Idiot, I managed to pull Managua out of my brain.

• Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, SHD said:

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln? 

Hah! That is one of my favorite things to say. I use it all the time (well, when appropriate).

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

I hated Ron immediately after his "All right!!!!" reaction after an easy answer.  And then he did it again immediately after.

Surprised at how many (what I thought were easy) clues they all missed - walnuts, Chagal, Arles, and more.

The macadamia clue?  You might as well ask what letter comes after "a".

Alex on the original sin question "thanks a lot, Adam."  Actually, the story is that Eve picked the first apple and took the first bite.

"One is the other's best friend".  Who is the other's best friend?  Or did you mean each is the other's best friend, or even, they are best friends?

Sorry to be grumpy, it's way too hot here.

To be fair, I think he stopped after the second one, though I may have tuned them out. Yeah, the "thanks a lot, Adam" was a head scratcher. I'm not religious, but it's a pretty well known story.

9 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I'm usually easily annoyed so the only reason I can think I wasn't too bugged by Ron was he seemed genuinely happy to be there and I thought his FJ answer was funny (and also referenced my Imaginary Hollywood Boyfriend). He also balanced the hyper-intensity emanating from the other two.

I did think he showed genuine enthusiasm, so I couldn't hate him.

37 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Well, baby bears aren't called pups, either.  I think the situation was that this guy thought he had some unusual looking puppies, but it turned out they were bear cubs.

That was my take on the question, which is why rhinos seemed so strange as an answer even without the word "pup". Then again, I just saw something on the internet about a woman adopting a three legged "terrier" ... and it turned out to be a goat. But she still wasn't completely sure. (could have been a hoax, the story, but I could totally  see someone doing that).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

That's why "rhinos" was kind of a goofy answer.  Who would take in rhinos as pets and not realize they weren't puppies?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Brookside said:

Yes, but Adam is the one who gets the "credit" for Original Sin. It's weird, sexist and patriarchal, but that's oldtime religion for you.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I can sort of understand the guess of "rhino."  There is a species called the black rhinoceros, and it is critically endangered.  On the other hand, the black rhino lives in Africa, not China, so not the greatest guess in the world.

I can't understand it at all. Rhinos are born as singletons and didn't the clue say this guy had a two or three of these "pups"? Plus rhinos can weigh as much as 150 lbs. at birth, considerably more than a puppy, which averages about 8 ounces newborn. Rhinos don't have fur, they have thick skin. Plus there's that horn thing. And a one-year-old rhino is well on its way to its adult weight of 1,500 if it's the smallest rhino, the Sumatran.

The sad story this summer was the death of the only remaining male northern white rhino, Sudan. He was 45. Only two northern white rhino females are left in the world, a daughter and granddaughter of Sudan, and one is unable to be bred.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kathira said:

Yes, but Adam is the one who gets the "credit" for Original Sin. It's weird, sexist and patriarchal, but that's oldtime religion for you.  

I find it rather amusing that the church would choose to co-opt Adam when it had the perfect opportunity to blame a woman.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Kathira said:

I'm Presbyterian, but I think the practice is pretty widespread at least in Protestant churches. As a note, we don't use actual wine anymore. We use grape juice, due to concerns for allergies, medication interaction or alcoholism.

Thanks Kathira. I was raised Episcopal, which is jokingly called "Catholic light." We receive the wafer from one priest, then a second comes down the line of people kneeling in front of the alter and gives each a sip of wine from a goblet that is wiped with a cloth after each person. Alcohol is a disinfectant and, according to the CDC, no one has ever gotten sick from same-goblet use. People get more germs from shaking hands or touching a doorknob (gross!) than drinking from the same wine chalice. I did a search though, and found that one can have the priest dip the wafer into the chalice if so desired. I've just never seen it. And never, until yesterday, did I know the practice had a name.

I knew (had heard) that other religions used grape juice, not wine. I think only the Catholic and Episcopal churches use wine for communion. I find all religions and practices interesting, I love to learn about them, so I appreciate your sharing here, Kathira.

• Love 3
On ‎07‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, Browncoat said:

I learned something tonight -- I had no idea that Mike Nesmith's mother invented liquid paper! 

I knew it (big Monkees fan here) but couldn't remember his last name to save my life.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I find it rather amusing that the church would choose to co-opt Adam when it had the perfect opportunity to blame a woman.

Can't give a woman the capability for making her own moral decisions!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Adam did blame Eve, who in turn blamed the serpent. Even in the beginning of time, no one takes responsibility.

• Love 10

Chagall (yeay for my BFA), tightrope walker...

This time I didn't need my BFA, though it does come in handy :)  I was screaming CHAGALL (they even showed [probably] the most famous of his paintings!) Dali? That was almost as bad as rhinos.

Then there was my scream of ARLES!

Oh, well, they never listen to me.

Tightrope walker was pie-easy since my latest book includes an 1850s circus and my heroine is an equilibrist.

• Love 7

I call foul on the acceptance of Burt's "tape-ee-er" (3 syllables). It's "tape-er" (2 syllables). Spelled Tapir. In the end, it didn't matter, but even so...

• Love 8
(edited)

Ian, the middle guy's story just didn't sit right with me. As much as I dislike public snorers, whistlers, hummers, etc., he just seemed a little too gleeful about calling out some guy who probably has undiagnosed sleep apnea. And Alex's high five definitely seemed over the top.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 21

FJ took me a few seconds tonight because I am exhausted.  It's been a terribly long day on top of a terribly long week!  I think if I were more alert, it would have been an instaget.  And I didn't write down any TS, and have no idea if I even got any!

But, I agree with @SoMuchTV about Ian's story -- he was just a little too proud of himself for that.  Maybe next time, ask a flight attendant?  I was concerned he was going to rock himself off the box he might have been standing on, too. 

Despite the rocking, I would have been fine with any of them winning tonight.  And maybe I wasn't paying as close attention as usual, but it seemed like a pretty good game.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I call foul on the acceptance of Burt's "tape-ee-er" (3 syllables). It's "tape-er" (2 syllables). Spelled Tapir. In the end, it didn't matter, but even so...

Oh good. I thought I'D been saying it wrong all my life.

• Love 4

<reaches for the Dramamine>

Stand still, dammit.

I wonder if Rick will ever become a real English teacher.

Tonight I got underprivileged, confidentiality, and FJ.

32 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I agree.

• Love 3

All I remember is pocket gopher and that Burt should have bet more on that DD when he had a chance.

I hated the airline snoring story. Get a flight attendant. Trebek acted like he's constantly harassed by snoring people. As if.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I call foul on the acceptance of Burt's "tape-ee-er" (3 syllables). It's "tape-er" (2 syllables). Spelled Tapir.

I've heard it as tapey-ur on nature shows so I looked it up. According to emmasaying.com, the pronunciation is tapey-ur or tay-pur or tay PIER. Listen here  for yourself. I also say tapey-ur based on all the nature shows I watch, so I would have answered the same as did Burt.

• Love 9

Congrats to Rick.  What is an "aspiring English teacher"?  He stands outside of a school and longingly looks through the windows at English classes?  I would have been happy with Burt winning again, too.  I'm so glad Ian didn't win.  My first impression was he was a handsome guy.  Then he opened his mouth and came off as arrogant.  The snoring story confirmed my low opinion of him.  What an asshat thing to do.  Alex, if I ever see you on a plane (which is doubtful since he probably uses private aircraft) I'm going to go up to you, tap you on the shoulder, and yell at the top of my lungs, "Sir!  Everyone can hear and smell your farts!"

I didn't get any TS, but FJ was an instaget.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

He also said Owe-goost and Alex immediately screamed, "Yes!  St. Augustine!"

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

What is an "aspiring English teacher"?  He stands outside of a school and longingly looks through the windows at English classes? 

Right?? I wondered whether he explained that in his story (I always FF through them). Sounds like I was fortunate to miss Ian's.

For TS I got New Zealand (lucky guess), Philip II (thanks to Jeopardy), and confidentiality. I had no clue on FJ but that's an interesting fact #myjeopardyeducation

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

What is an "aspiring English teacher"? 

I figure he's got his degree, has sent out resumés and is hoping to be hired for fall. Sounds better than "Unemployed." Or whatever he's doing in the meantime that's not a career. Plus maybe being on Jeopardy will give his English job search a push.

• Love 11

I ran the Deal the Cards and High-Rated TV Show categories, because my parents made sure I had a proper education in card games and TV from a very young age.

I had zero TSs and incorrectly guessed Andy Griffith for FJ.  While Griffith died in 2012, at least he was from North Carolina and in his late 80s at the time.

Ian's story reminded me why we usually FF through the contestant interviews.  Asshat.

If I ever get on, I'm going to say I'm an aspiring major league center fielder.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

What is an "aspiring English teacher"?  He stands outside of a school and longingly looks through the windows at English classes? 

LOL.

I am an English teacher, and now I am picturing this guy standing outside my classroom, wanting my job.

• Love 8

I wasn't very invested in Burt since ABC cut into yesterday's game soon after DJ started, so I was ok with any of the 3 winning. Until Ian's obnoxious interview story which got a high 5 & a "good for you" <drink> from Alex. Alex's approval to the point of a high 5 is all you need to know about Ian's actions.

Have to admit to disappointment that the Saints category was not about my hometown NFL team.

TS I got were messenger, Andrea Dora, Peggy Guggenheim, confidentiality. Rick's DD of St. Lawrence River was ridiculously easy. Neither Dr. Toothbrush or I had any idea for FJ. How quickly we forget (plus I thought Billy Graham was from TN)

1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

I ran the Deal the Cards and High-Rated TV Show categories, because my parents made sure I had a proper education in card games and TV from a very young age.

You were brought up right!

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I heard him say Owe-GOOST-n, and thought Alex just corrected his pronunciation to AU-gus-TEEN.

I heard it as uh-GUST-in, which is how all of my history and religion professors always pronounced the name of the bishop of Hippo.

It's not how the city in Florida is usually pronounced, but I have to admit it does fit the "if it matches the spelling" rule.

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I heard him say Owe-GOOST-n, and thought Alex just corrected his pronunciation to AU-gus-TEEN.

Alex "corrected" a reasonable approximation of the correct Latin pronunciation with an Anglicized pronunciation (also correct in an English-speaking country). Alex may not have been incorrect, but it was discourteous, unnecessary, and quite possibly born of ignorance. But then Alex's "corrections" frequently get on my nerves. I can understand doing it when the contestant is mispronouncing something they have obviously only read, not heard, and I do know that Alex does a certain amount of preliminary work on the questions/answers to make sure he doesn't commit egregious pronunciation errors himself, but - and I say this as an unabashed supporter of Mr. Trebek in general - the smugness of the corrections (especially when they're not strictly necessary) can really set my teeth on edge.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ian, the middle guy's story just didn't sit right with me. As much as I dislike public snorers, whistlers, hummers, etc., he just seemed a little too gleeful about calling out some guy who probably has undiagnosed sleep apnea. And Alex's high five definitely seemed over the top.

That story was enough to make me actively root against him. I know the snoring would be annoying, but it's not like the person is doing it on purpose (unlike whistling and humming). So embarrassing him is pretty low, in my opinion. It's one of the reasons I never take a red-eye, and try not to sleep on a plane. But sometimes you just can't help it - whether it's exhaustion or a long flight.  Someone could have gently woken the man up, but that high 5 shows gentle was never in the mix for Ian.

• Love 9

I knew (had heard) that other religions used grape juice, not wine. I think only the Catholic and Episcopal churches use wine for communion. I find all religions and practices interesting, I love to learn about them, so I appreciate your sharing here, Kathira.

I was raised Lutheran (Missouri Synod) and we used Mogen David Concord wine at Communion, which was held the last Sunday of each month. Yet we *frequently* saw Pastor L. in the Grand Union with two bottles of wine in his fists. Hahahaha. Folks would kneel at the altar and Pastor would go down the line dispensing wafers and then come back down the line with the chalice of Kosher wine. The amount of wine was so small, there was never a thought for allergies, medication reactions, nor alcoholism. Even high-school kids below the so-called drinking age, but old enough to have gone through Confirmation to become a "member" of the church, were given these small mouthfuls of wine, which you really needed to pry the now-soggy wafer off the roof of your mouth.

• Love 3
On 7/24/2018 at 6:22 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

We had a terrific thunderstorm last night that knocked out my internet right after Jeopardy, but I thought I'd better post so that I'm not accused of being a stoner instead of a forgetful old bag.

Then I better tell y’all that I was camping this week (yes, it rained a lot but I had grandchildren to entertain) but did see a few shows on the Internet. It’s like missing my morning tea when I miss the show...something is just off. Glad to be back. 

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Alex has a bit in the 1st episode of the new season of Orange is the New Black. It was kind of fun, but an actor he's not.

Is the new season out there already or is that just info that you’ve gleaned from somewhere? 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Is the new season out there already or is that just info that you’ve gleaned from somewhere? 

The new season is out. I think it must have dropped today. I haven't been paying attention, but there they were, so I watched the first episode.

Edited by Clanstarling
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Alex has a bit in the 1st episode of the new season of Orange is the New Black. It was kind of fun, but an actor he's not.

He had a small role in a classic X-Files episode, too. They didn't ask too much of him, and he was paired with Jesse Ventura. It was a kick. Was he playing himself in OITNB?

Our champion is Dave Thomas (of SCTV fame, not the Wendy's guy)! Am I the only one who sees that?

See you all in 6 weeks!

• Love 4

Fort Sumter?  Really?  I mean, I know essentially nothing about history of any variety, but even I knew better than to pick a Civil War battle when the date given was 1854!  And while I thought it was probably something from the Revolutionary War, I really had no idea what it might be.

I was glad when they gave Rick back his money for slant, because that certainly should have been acceptable, and I was glad Rick managed another win.  Jerry annoyed me with the starting in the middle, especially after all the DDs had been found.  And of course Alex made his story all about Alex.

I thought the woman made a smart wager for FJ.  That's what I would do if the leaders were close and I were that far behind.

The only TS I got was strata.

• Love 9