Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Driad said:

I would have said "Battle of Lexington and Concord."  Hoping that would be ruled correct since it was all one battle.

That's exactly what I said and I am from Massachusetts. 

I said slant too. I've only heard list being used as tilting in a nautical context and wouldn't have thought to say that. 

• Love 10
(edited)

Congrats to Rick, again, and now we know, sort of, about him being an aspiring English teacher.  Either he hasn't gotten his teaching certificate yet or he hasn't found a job.  I liked Karla and would have been fine with her winning.  I'm so glad that Jerry of the Plastic Wig didn't win.  He lost me the instant he started in the middle of categories.

I'm glad they gave Rick "slant".  I was yelling at my TV over that.

Well, I'm going out with a whimper for the season - I didn't get any TS or FJ.  I answered Barbara Jordan instead of Shirley Chisholm.  I need to study up on those ladies.

I need to go hunt down the FJ clue because I thought they were asking for a man's name.  I'm confused.  I guess I need to DRINK more whenever there's a GFY.  I think there were three today.  ???

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 13

Congrats to Rick.  He was on the last segment of my local news last night (6abc-Philly).  Nothing big, just video of him watching the show with family and friends.  No interview.

Tonight I got whinny, list, and Shirley Chisholm.  

Lexington (and Concord) was on my short list of guesses for FJ, but I was in no way confident with that answer.

• Love 3
(edited)

Missed a chunk in the middle because our local station broke in to report someone landed a plane on Lake Shore Drive (!).

I hate when Alex has to make some kind of condescending remark about how stupid he thinks an incorrect FJ guess is.

Though I loved him telling the champ that they've decided to accept his "slant" answer..."because it's correct!"

Edited by SHD
  • Love 15

I ran what I saw of the Defunct Sports Teams, but I am also in Chicago, and our local affiliate has a very bad habit of cutting away to their news team whenever they feel like it ("We've got a cat up in a tree on the north side, let's go to our reporter on the scene ...").

I had one TS:  Shirley Chisholm.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I ran what I saw of the Defunct Sports Teams, but I am also in Chicago, and our local affiliate has a very bad habit of cutting away to their news team whenever they feel like it ("We've got a cat up in a tree on the north side, let's go to our reporter on the scene ...").

I'm in the area, too, and this is absolute fact.

Because of course someone landed a plane on Lake Shore Drive - during Jeopardy!!

• Love 5
(edited)
18 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

Because of course someone landed a plane on Lake Shore Drive - during Jeopardy!!

LOL about this because I was driving home during today's show and heard on the radio all about the plane landing on LSD. "Move along folks, nothing to see here," police told all the drivers. Anyway, I just watched today's game via YouTube. I actually like doing that better, no commercials to make me drift off.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Jerry - “I once took a vow of sil...”

Alex - “That’s fascinating did you know I once did that with monks in Montreal? I didn’t do it for very long.  Good for you.”

This made me LOL too, because that's exactly what I had made a note of. Jerry did two weeks of silence but Trebek couldn't do one week. No surprise there. But Trebek asked him, "Did it help?" and Jerry said yes. Help what? What does a vow of silence help? Anyone? Beuller?

Rick got a GFY. I needed a drink after my day today.

I got Diane Arbus, an easy peasy TS for me, having worked in photography since the days of souping BW film in the darkroom and hand printing photos for the newspaper. Her photos are weird. But memorable because of the weird.

I call FOUL that Mr. Ed saying "Hee haw" is wrong. Mr. Ed talked, he said anything he wanted, including hee haw and oh p'shaw. Should have been ruled correct. Mr. Ed seldom if ever whinnied.

Side note: The real name of the horse that played Mr. Ed is Bamboo Harvester.

I also got ration and strata as TSs but don't remember the clues now.

On a shallow note, I found Jerry VERY attractive, cute AND smart, and when he lost I actually said an "Oh, eff." I was hoping to see him again in six weeks.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8
(edited)

I was sad to see Diane Arbus as a TS. Hers was a compelling voice in the word of photography. I also got the ration and Shirley Chisholm TSs but drew a blank on FJ because it called for a specific battle.

I like Rick and am happy to see him pull off another win.

I'm not down for a rerun of The Buzzy Show so I won't be watching a repeat of TOC so I guess my Jeopardy withdrawal starts now...

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I call FOUL that Mr. Ed saying "Hee haw" is wrong. Mr. Ed talked, he said anything he wanted, including hee haw and oh p'shaw. Should have been ruled correct.

I can't remember the wording, but maybe it had to be one word, so hee haw wouldn't count.

I couldn't bring Diane Arbus's name to my lips. The TSs I got were whinny and Shirley Chisholm.

I've been out of town for a couple of days, so I just caught up with the shows I missed. I really liked the No S Ending category because I am forever forgetting if Sally Field has an S as well as many other famous people.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I guess I need to DRINK more whenever there's a GFY.

I know what this stands for, yet every time I see it here I first think "Go #@(& yourself"! ?

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I really liked the No S Ending category

Me too! Alex did an awful job explaining it, but when the first clue came up it was obvious.

• Love 13
(edited)

The only TS I got was Shirley Chisolm, the last clue unveiled. I was so scared I would be 0 for whatever in TS for the last game of the season. Whew! Good for me! <drink> FJ was an instaget, and I think Jerry realized his error when Rick's response was revealed. 

Glad that Rick got retro-credit for 'slant' & I'm surprised that AT did repeated Joan of Arc the Anglicized way, and not Jeanne d'Arc

Nancy Pelosi has scary eyes. 

On 7/27/2018 at 6:38 PM, rubaco said:

Our champion is Dave Thomas (of SCTV fame, not the Wendy's guy)! Am I the only one who sees that?

I only see my cousin Chip. 

21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I call FOUL that Mr. Ed saying "Hee haw" is wrong. Mr. Ed talked, he said anything he wanted, including hee haw and oh p'shaw. Should have been ruled correct. Mr. Ed seldom if ever whinnied.

On a shallow note, I found Jerry VERY attractive, cute AND smart, and when he lost I actually said an "Oh, eff." I was hoping to see him again in six weeks.

I believe the Mr. Ed clue asked for a 7-letter word.  Oops - 6 letter word. I really should pay better attention. 

Agree about Jerry, although I did chuckle at @CarpeDiem54's comment about his plastic hair. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5

I think there was a bit of Jeopardy! curse by one degree of separation.  We just had the clue about Mike Nesmith's mom, and then I hear on the radio that he just had to have a quadruple bypass.  Since the clue wasn't about him, exactly, he apparently pulled through.  But weird timing again.

• Love 6

The horse clue was asking for a six letter word, and the champ said neigh, and I’m curious how he thinks that word is spelled.

I associate hee haw with donkeys, not horses, so I wonder if that’s why they didn’t accept it.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, rubaco said:

He had a small role in a classic X-Files episode, too. They didn't ask too much of him, and he was paired with Jesse Ventura. It was a kick. Was he playing himself in OITNB?

Yes, he's playing himself. He gets to say a swear word. LOL.

Our station played a repeat - from last week, I think. So I only lightly read the posts so far. Maybe there was a fire report going on (we're surrounded).

• Love 3
On 7/26/2018 at 4:54 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Ian, the middle guy's story just didn't sit right with me. As much as I dislike public snorers, whistlers, hummers, etc., he just seemed a little too gleeful about calling out some guy who probably has undiagnosed sleep apnea. And Alex's high five definitely seemed over the top.

If he'd told a story about shaming someone who was using their mobile phone during a movie, I'd have stood up in my living room and applauded. His story, however, just made me think he's an ass. 

That correction on slant cost me a TS get. I also had whinny and Shirley Chisholm, who often gets missed when asked about on Jeopardy. That makes me sad. 

I said Lexington and Concord for FJ. I'm taking it as a get. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, dcalley said:
13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I know what this stands for, yet every time I see it here I first think "Go #@(& yourself"! ?

Oh, gee, now that you mention it, that's basically what Alex is saying to them.  Yikes!  ?

• Love 5

Didn't someone say that if a post gets more than 20 likes, the border turns pink? One of my posts on another forum has 23 but the border has not turned.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Driad said:

Didn't someone say that if a post gets more than 20 likes, the border turns pink? One of my posts on another forum has 23 but the border has not turned.

So close. I think it's 25.

Tell me where it is and I'll go like it.

• Love 5
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Driad said:

I think it's 25 posts.  I don't think I've ever come as close as you have.

My  only ts last night was Shirley Chisholm. I got FJ, not an instaget but fairly quickly.  You had to search through the clue to see exactly what they wanted so "battle that started a war" was it.  Like so many of you, I wasn't sure if it was just Lexington or Lexington-Concord but went with Lexington.  Contestant Rick posted on JBoard that Alex said afterwards that Lexington-Concord would also have been acceptable.

Pipped by Opus.  I'll like your post too.

eta: Apparently I liked your post a long time ago so I can't like it again even though it's still funny:)

eta again: Now I accidentally unliked it but liked it again; so it looks like I just liked it now.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, opus said:
25 minutes ago, Driad said:

Tell me where it is and I'll go like it.

Thank you.  Big Bang Theory, S11.E20 The Reclusive Potential, here, I hope.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, opus said:
1 hour ago, Driad said:

That was me, I thought 20 was the magic pink-turning number. I got a pink on one of The Bachelor threads, which I'm quite proud of, even though it IS The Bachelor. (The posts there are fun though. Well, most of them.)

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:
9 hours ago, dcalley said:
15 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Oh, gee, now that you mention it, that's basically what Alex is saying to them.  Yikes!

I know, right? That's totally what Trebek is saying. So, GFY dcalley for pointing that out. *DRINK!*

2 hours ago, teebax said:

I also had whinny and Shirley Chisholm, who often gets missed when asked about on Jeopardy. That makes me sad. 

I recognized Shirley Chisholm but couldn't bring her name to my lips. That will happen to you guys too, once you reach a "certain age." Names will come to me in the middle of the night, but I guess I should be glad they will come to me, even if it is 12 hours later.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I associate hee haw with donkeys, not horses, so I wonder if that’s why they didn’t accept it.

I'm sure that was the reason, they just didn't think that a talking horse can say whatever it pleases, a whole passel of six-letter words, not just "whinny." Mr. Ed was NOT a good choice for that clue. I say that as a long-time fan of that show. "Willllllll-buuuuur!"

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Driad said:

Thank you all, I have a pink border!

Driad's post has turned quite pink,

it got more likes than one would think.

The "likes" came in quick as a wink,

to prove that post did not stink.

We all knew here Driad's no fink,

so do this now, don't rethink:

Grab a glass, fill it to the brink.

Yes, to the top, do not blink.

Now raise the glasses, make them clink.

And on my command, take a *DRINK!*

and cheer "Hooray for Driad! Poster of PINK!"

• Love 11
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

The horse clue was asking for a six letter word, and the champ said neigh, and I’m curious how he thinks that word is spelled.

I wonder if "Wilbur" would count; Ed said it a lot.

[SOUNDS LIKE IT TO ME ($1000) Hey! It’s a 6-letter bray from Mr. Ed]

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, harrie said:

I wonder if "Wilbur" would count; Ed said it a lot.

Too funny, I just happened to think of that same thing and came here to post it. Yes, "Wilbur" is the six-letter word Mr. Ed  said more than any other. I would fight the judges to the end of time that Wilbur is THE correct answer.

If the judges wanted "whinny" to be the answer, they should have used Secretariat or Seabiscuit, not Ed as the "speaker."

• Love 9
(edited)

Another Chicagoland resident here, so I missed a chunk of Friday’s show. I did get FJ! I had always thought of Lexington and Concord as two separate battles, with Lexington taking place in the wee hours on the village green, then Concord taking place later in the day on the way back to Boston, so I would have just said Lexington. 

I immediately went to the Revolutionary War since Eliza Hamilton also died in 1854, so that was a very possible year for a Lexington vet to die.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, harrie said:

[SOUNDS LIKE IT TO ME ($1000) Hey! It’s a 6-letter bray from Mr. Ed]

A whinny is NOT a "bray." Hee haw is though.

I'm going to keep dwelling on this clue, obviously.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I had always thought of Lexington and Concord as two separate battles, with Lexington taking place in the wee hours on the village green, then Concord taking place later in the day on the way back to Boston, so I would have just said Lexington. 

I was so upset that no one said Lexington AND Concord.  That is what I said, and now I'll never know if the judges would have accepted my answer.  Sob!

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Trey said:

Contestant Rick posted on JBoard that Alex said afterwards that Lexington-Concord would also have been acceptable.

Quoting my own post to console you, @Thalia.

But I went back to Jboard to check it again and I was wrong, it was contestant Jerry, not Rick, who said Alex would have accepted Lexington-Concord.

Edited by Trey
comma
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Trey said:

But I went back to Jboard to check it again and I was wrong, it was contestant Jerry, not Rick, who said Alex would have accepted Lexington-Concord.

Jerry ... *sigh* my tv boyfriend for one-half hour Friday.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Driad said:

It's already pink, as you know, but I liked it for good measure. I do remember thinking that Wolotots was cute & clever when I first read it, so I probably meant to like it when you originally posted it. 

• Love 4

I was away on Friday, being bored at my high school reunion, hanging out with people who I was barely friends with 40 years ago. Also, it was a smallish venue and the music was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think, let alone talk. I mean, isn't talking to people you haven't seen in years the point of a reunion? Having to yell into people's ears made it impossible to catch up with even the few I did remember fondly. And the one gal I was hoping to see, who really was a good friend, ended up not coming.  And another one turned out to be there to sell us on her new social media scheme. Ugh. I would have had more fun watching Jeopardy and hanging with you guys.

Anyway, I did get Shirley Chisholm and the FJ. I'm glad to hear that Concord and Lexington would have been accepted. Bunker Hill was very close.

• Love 10

I thought the woman made a smart wager for FJ.  That's what I would do if the leaders were close and I were that far behind.

I thought Rick made a smart bet, too. If he had wagered everything and Mr. RUDE had guessed right, Rick would have lost. If he'd bet everything and guessed wrong, Karla would have won. So, just like Goldilocks...shoot, am I saying this right?

Ta, y'all. See you in 6 weeks. J! repeat tournaments depress me. Watching MSNBC, instead, can depress me too (except for Rachel), so it looks like a good book from my TBR pile...?

• Love 5

I was unexpectedly out Friday night so missed the last show of the season.  I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts and look forward to "seeing" you all in the fall.  Happy August to Jeopardy fans everywhere!

• Love 6
(edited)

We could always spend the off season snarking on classic contestants.

If he doesn't shave that thing I'm afraid it's going to swallow his face

(I picked Frank Spangenberg because I was a big fan :)  I only playfully tease those I like)

IMG_3941.JPG

Edited by opus
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, opus said:

If he doesn't shave that thing I'm afraid it's going to swallow his face

(I picked Frank Spangenberg because I was a big fan :)  I only playfully tease those I like)

IMG_3941.JPG

He's one of the few former champions I always recognize. There aren't many - most just look vaguely familiar to me. But that 'stache stands out.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, opus said:

I'm for that. I don't know what I'm going to do to avoid working if I can't come here and whittle away my day and accomplish nothing. Besides, I will have forgotten all the answers so the games will be new to me.

That guy's 'stache has GOT to go. Maybe it will be gone in the reruns. Like you watch a movie again hoping the ending will be different.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm for that. I don't know what I'm going to do to avoid working if I can't come here and whittle away my day and accomplish nothing. Besides, I will have forgotten all the answers so the games will be new to me.

That guy's 'stache has GOT to go. Maybe it will be gone in the reruns. Like you watch a movie again hoping the ending will be different.

Chuck Forrest, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he credited with popularizing the concept of board hopping?

jp_vid_toc_chuckforrest.jpg

• Love 2

I'm probably the only person looking forward to seeing the ToC again featuring Buzzy and Austin (I'm a big fan of Buzzy and Austin).  And Lisa's epic almost near breakdown.  I remember Frank, Chuck, Jerome, Bob Harris from previousprevious ToCs.  

• Love 7