Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Okay, Dave, you will forever be a hero for ridding us of Ryan, however, we can be a fickle bunch, especially if you start being annoying.  What's with the starting on the second clue?  Annoying.  When you're 40 eleventy billion ahead going into FJ, bet something!  Annoying.

And Alex, it was supposed to be Tara's story, not yours.  The poor woman hardly got to play what with Dave being a powerhouse.  It would have been nice if she could have spoken more than half a sentence.  Don't be a douche, Trebek.

I got Mormon, bull mastiff (yeah, should have been a BMS), and Columbia.

I would say FJ was Toddler Tournament level, but some poor soul here may have missed it, and I don't want them to feel as stupid as I did yesterday.  Let's just say it was an instaget.

• Love 18

I am surprised that not one of them could identify Colombia on the map. I'm not great with geography but I figured out of three Jeopardy contestants, one of them would know the large countries of South America. 

Dave not betting for FJ doesn't bother me. He might not be super confident with these categories so why risk giving away guaranteed money?

• Love 11

I learned something tonight -- I had no idea that Mike Nesmith's mother invented liquid paper! 

Dave was extra annoying tonight.  The goodwill from his having unseated Ryan has worn off, and I'm ready to Dave to lose.  But if he could start at the tops of categories, and at least bet something for FJ, I could change my mind again.  Doubtful either of those will happen, but you never know.

FJ was another instaget for me -- I was surprised the one girl had nothing.  I also got bullmastiff, and agree that should have had a BMS, gear ratio, Virginia (c'mon, James River?  Gotta be Virginia!), and Colombia.

• Love 5

For TS I got Total Recall, Bull Mastiff and coronet. It was ridiculous to me that Alex gave her a flat No for Mastiff but a BMS for Batting Helmet. If it weren't a runaway, I wonder whether she'd make a case to be invited back.

I had no idea on FJ -- even after they revealed the answer because I didn't consider the front and back of the bottom to be 2 pieces. Sigh.

I'm not a fan of runaways but at least Dave's not smug about it. And yeah I'd like to see him bet something for FJ too. 

• Love 4

Dave, what exactly do you have against the top clues?  What did they ever do to you?  Huh?

I'd be less annoyed if he jumped all over the damn board, and I hate that.

I got Mormon, friction, and FJ before the clue was finished being read.

Add me to those annoyed that Alex monopolized Tara's interview.  Asshat!

I'm ready for the upcoming break. 

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:
2 hours ago, Kathira said:

Bull Mastiff (which should have been a BMS)

That made me mad. He asked for a BMS on another answer. 

Wrong. A Bullmastiff is a breed completely separate from the Mastiff. Bullmastiffs are smaller, more compact than the much larger Mastiff. It is not a variety of the Mastiff. The Bullmastiff breed was created in the 1800s when when the Mastiff was crossed with the Old English Bulldog. This was not a BMS situation says the person who shows dogs for a living.

Plus they showed a photo of a Bullmastiff, not a Mastiff. They do not look alike.

56 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I learned something tonight -- I had no idea that Mike Nesmith's mother invented liquid paper! 

This is talked about with some regularity on pop radio shows, which is how I knew it. It's always good to learn a new tidbit.

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I thought I'd better post so that I'm not accused of being a stoner instead of a forgetful old bag.

So how's that working out for you, you old forgetful stoner you?

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I am surprised that not one of them could identify Colombia on the map. I'm not great with geography but I figured out of three Jeopardy contestants, one of them would know the large countries of South America. 

So much this. Especially since Colombia is the first SA country you come to when leaving Central America. That was an Ore-Ida-level dimwit clue.

Shout out today to any poster(s) here named Tara. :-))  Sorry Trebek was a tool to your namesake.

This was a disappointing game. In so many ways. I guess it could be worse though so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

I didn't get FJ, and I'm not sure why. I was focusing on B&W pics of women dressed up like Joan Crawford. I was also trying to form four triangles into some kind of garment.

I could not recall Total Recall. 

Instead of Mormon Church I said Church of Latter Day Saints. I just looked up the name -- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints -- so I'm not sure if I would have gotten credit.

Bugs me that Dave skips the first clue in each category. I don't get what the reason would be.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Oh, and I looked up those geoduck clams.  Gag me!  How hungry was the first person who dug up a [gross description deleted] and decided that would be something tasty to eat?

I often wonder that about onions - who cut open an onion and decided it would be a good idea to eat it?!

• Love 5

I had Bull Mastiff, Coronet, Virginia, and Colombia (yeesh, people, it was highlighted on the map!).

Hey, Dave, what have you got against Final Jeopardy?  As a fellow IT geek, I appreciate the line through the zero.  And I understand not wanting to accidentally pull a Cliff Claven.  But you're the Machine.  Even on low power mode, you still got the right answer.  Bet something.

• Love 4
(edited)
28 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I often wonder that about onions - who cut open an onion and decided it would be a good idea to eat it?!

I always figure that early people must have observed animals eating various things and followed suit. Also, hunger is a powerful motivator. Our ancestors were curious and inventive, clever with a mix of daring and caution that allowed them to survive and pass on their genetics to us.

I can't seem to get my quote function right, but I think you would have gotten credit for the Latter Day Saints. LDS is pretty common abbreviation for them.

32 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Mormon Church I said Church of Latter Day Saints. I just looked up the name -- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints -- so I'm not sure if I would have gotten credit.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The Bullmastiff breed was created in the 1800s when when the Mastiff was crossed with the Old English Bulldog.

Whenever I read things like that I always hear it in the voice of the Westminster Dog Show public address announcer.

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Back in "the day," onions as we know them didn't exist. The big round onions we buy now are products of genetic tampering as are all big, pretty modern vegetables and fruits. Back then there were wild onions and onion grasses. Side note: Chicago is from an Algonquian word meaning “onion field,” so named because wild onion grew profusely in the area. Onion grass is actually pretty tasty.

• Love 4

I still like Dave, but I don't like his starting on the 2nd clue. But a small price to pay for no Ryan. And I also wish he would bet something in FJ, but again, small price.

I liked Tara's swan sweater, but Alex was such an asshat during her interview. 

TS I got were Mormon church & cornet. FJ was an instaget. 

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Basically, the no comment was "no, I think I'm the better runner." His GF isn't going to be too happy.

Yep. 

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wrong. A Bullmastiff is a breed completely separate from the Mastiff. Bullmastiffs are smaller, more compact than the much larger Mastiff. It is not a variety of the Mastiff. The Bullmastiff breed was created in the 1800s when when the Mastiff was crossed with the Old English Bulldog. This was not a BMS situation says the person who shows dogs for a living.

Plus they showed a photo of a Bullmastiff, not a Mastiff. They do not look alike.

Thank you! We were wondering why there was no BMS direction. I'll let hubby know too.

Sorry about your tv

• Love 8
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I stand corrected.

• Love 3

When Alex hesitated after she said mastiff (which is what I said, too), I then said wolf mastiff. Doh.

I'll have to go back and watch the interview section. I must have been distracted because I don't know how Alex was a twit to Tara.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Kathira said:

I always figure that early people must have observed animals eating various things and followed suit. Also, hunger is a powerful motivator.

Exactly.  I strongly suspect that in most cases of foods that we consider "gross," the thinking of the first people to eat it was not "Maybe this will taste good," so much as "Maybe this will keep me alive for another day."

I find myself irrationally jealous of Dave.  His total over three games is almost the same as mine.  And yet he had three runaway games, and made all of his money without ever betting a thing in Final Jeopardy, two things I cannot say.  I can see him having a very long run.

• Love 13

Virginia (c'mon, James River?  Gotta be Virginia!)

I said "Richmond." Would I have gotten a "be less specific" or a flat-out "no" ?

I could not recall Total Recall. 

I used to tell people, "I think I saw Total Recall, but I can't remember."  Actually, I thought it was a pretty good movie.

• Love 11

What happens if Dave is still winning at the end of the season? At that point, he would qualify for the TOC. Does he just start again when they begin filming season 35? Or if not Dave, then whoever is the champ on Friday?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Back in "the day," onions as we know them didn't exist. The big round onions we buy now are products of genetic tampering as are all big, pretty modern vegetables and fruits. Back then there were wild onions and onion grasses. Side note: Chicago is from an Algonquian word meaning “onion field,” so named because wild onion grew profusely in the area. Onion grass is actually pretty tasty.

I've had onion sprouts - like alfalfa sprouts. I liked them a lot. Then again, for me there can never be too much onion in a dish.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, lb60 said:

Dave, what exactly do you have against the top clues?  What did they ever do to you?  Huh?

I've wondered this, too.  Is he trying to find the Daily Double clues?

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Julia67 said:

The DD is almost never in the top row, so I assume that's why he skips them. He's not exactly hunting for them but why choose the top row if there's no chance of one being there?

• Love 5

I didn't think Alex's interview w/Tara was that bad, but maybe she didn't want to do the exposition for the panda story?  She did get to say how many consecutive years her uni had won it.  Didn't like her partly shaved head.  I know that's kind of a thing these days, but I just don't like it.  Loved Beth's howliday pawtison party story.  Wonder which show the footage was on?  

Yes, I knew Virginia.  I've never seen Total Recall.  I'm horrible with geography of Central and South America, so I had no clue.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Julia67 said:

No idea.  I would think if he's looking for the DD, he would jump all over the board.  He seems to pick the second clue, then goes in order, then back to the first clue (unless one of the others has the good fortune to get in a turn). It's confuzzling!  

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

He seems to pick the second clue, then goes in order, then back to the first clue (unless one of the others has the good fortune to get in a turn). It's confuzzling!

He might have a personal "thing" about the top clue. Maybe if he's on long enough, he'll tell us via a Trebek interview. (If Trebek lets him.) Some people are superstitious about certain numbers and other things. Like the old "step on a crack" saying from the old days. Meaning, when I was a kid. It took a few days for Josh to be able to tell us about Tiger Claws even though we all noticed it here.

He might also have some OCD thing that only he understands. OCD can display in a number of strange ways.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

While it's easy to rank on someone for not betting anything in FJ when it's a runaway, I would be hard pressed to gamble $10,000 (say) that's in my pocket on a category I'm not 100 percent about. Even if the category is a good one for me, that doesn't mean the clue is. "Horse" category might really be about what Shakespeare character rode a horse in what play.

Even $1,000 is a lot of money to me. If I'm going to win anyway, I'd rather not gamble any already-won dough.

• Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, Kathira said:

What happens if Dave is still winning at the end of the season? At that point, he would qualify for the TOC. Does he just start again when they begin filming season 35? Or if not Dave, then whoever is the champ on Friday?

My understanding is that a current champion who has won at least 5 games would continue into the next season & play in the following ToC.

@saber5055 Good point about not wanting to gamble already done-deal $$$. I talk a good game, but would probably be the same way. I deal with risk management & analysis in a professional capacity, which has probably made me less risky in my personal life. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I find myself irrationally jealous of Dave. 

If it's any consolation, know that there are numerous people irrationally jealous of you. Although I see your point!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I said "Richmond." Would I have gotten a "be less specific" or a flat-out "no" ?

The clue said "this colony."

6 hours ago, Kathira said:

Yes, the champ at the end of the season returns at the beginning of the next season. Since they have a nice break over which to study, it's always a disappointment to me when the person doesn't seem to have taken advantage of the break. Season 34 started off with a loss by the returning champion.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Trey said:

The break is traditionally six weeks with tournaments from the season just finished being shown.

Yep, so Sept. 10 should be the first show of the new season.

• Love 6

RE: not betting anything in FJ -- I'm the opposite.  I figure I came with nothing, so anything I go home with is more than nothing.  Might as well give it a go, especially if I know I won't lose.  I would be less cavalier about it all if I didn't have a runaway, but unless the category was something I really had no clue about, I like to believe I'd bet something.

• Love 7

Then the tournaments last six weeks, right? Teachers, teen, college, TofC? Seems like we just had those, although time does run together as one gets older. Meaning my year is about six minutes long.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, SHD said:

Oh, so NOW Dave decides he's going to be a gambling man? 

At least Ron didn't win. Though his FJ answer made me laugh.

What was FJ and his answer?

Breaking news about US/EU trade talks interrupted the show here.  I came to the board to find out if Dave won or not.

• Love 1
(edited)

My mother thought he should have gotten "Managua" (missed DD). She kept singing "Managua, Nicaragua. They have coffee & banana". I think it's a song from the 40's. ETA: Just looked it up---it was in The Third Man.

Edited by illdoc
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

What was FJ and his answer?

Breaking news about US/EU trade talks interrupted the show here.  I came to the board to find out if Dave won or not.

Dave did not win. The FJ category was BRIDGES and Ron had no clue so just wrote "Jeff Bridges."

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, SHD said:

I had the same thought. Ron was too much with the celebrations after correct responses, but his FJ response was funny.. 

I lost my game notes with my gets, but FJ was easy for me because of the "its best friend" part of the clue. I can't believe I'm thinking this, but I'd love a challenging FJ. I hate when it's easy. 

• Love 11

Hooray for Eddie Haskell!  Er, I mean Burt!  Although I must say I was rooting for anyone but Ron.  No surprise with Dave's DD bet -- he always bet big on those, and of course, since he was behind, he had to wager for FJ.

For FJ, I knew China, and pulled N. Korea out of my hat at the last second.  I think I would have had time to write it down.

I also got Eats Shoots and Leaves, walnuts (I despise black walnuts, and the squirrels keep bringing them to my yard and planting trees!), Arles, tightrope walker, Managua, The Way, and bears.  I also got the Communion one, I think -- I said doing both at the same time, which might have been accepted?

Yo, Ron, I'm pretty sure baby rhinos aren't called pups.  They don't look anything like pups.

• Love 4

I ran the WWII category.

My ts's were walnuts and tightrope walker.

Dave was okay but it's also okay with me that Burt won - he appeared so nervous. I thought he looked like he should be a game show host.  Ron's cheery attitude would have gotten old really fast. Ron said rhinos, I said pandas.  I was a little closer.

Did not get FJ although I should have been able to figure it out with the 'best friends' part.  I had pre-called the Ambassador Bridge for FJ but that wasn't it.

• Love 5
(edited)
58 minutes ago, SHD said:

Ron reminded me of David Cross' character of Tobias on Arrested Development. 

28 minutes ago, teebax said:

I lost my game notes with my gets, but FJ was easy for me because of the "its best friend" part of the clue. I can't believe I'm thinking this, but I'd love a challenging FJ. I hate when it's easy. 

The deja vu French phrases one didn't need the "Sound Familiar?" either. 

14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Eats, Shoots & Leaves, Managua, The Way, and bears. 

I had gotten those, but I said pandas for bears.

59 minutes ago, SHD said:

I wonder how Dave will feel about water (agua) knowing that was his downfall. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3

I was rooting for Burt, even though I don't really like that name, he looked nervous as hell, and he took forever to pick a clue. Aside from all that, great guy!!

My gets were Eats, Shoots, and Leaves, walnuts, and bears.

FJ, I was in the right part of the world, but didn't come up with the answer.  I should have, though.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I was rooting for Burt, even though I don't really like that name, he looked nervous as hell, and he took forever to pick a clue. Aside from all that, great guy!!

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln? 

• Love 15

Darn it.  I was hoping Dave would make it to the TOC so he could kick Ryan's ass again.  And just when we found out his technical job is as a cheese taster.  Burt seemed like he wasn't sure where he was half the time, especially when picking clues.  He's likeable enough; I just don't know if he'll last.  Ron thinks he's the funniest guy in the room.  He's not.

Burt got a GFY!  Drink!  ?  A picture of Eric Clapton! *facepalm*  Two drinks!  ??

I got walnuts, tightrope walker, and Managua (DD).

1 hour ago, teebax said:

FJ was easy for me because of the "its best friend" part of the clue.

And this was exactly what confused me.  I thought of China and Russia right away, not knowing where that river is.

• Love 11