Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Some people have much more severe allegories to dairy than lactaid can help. My friend had a similiar situation where she developed a severe allergy to dairy in her 20s not being able to eat cheese still upsets her that 15 years later she will just go to cheese shops to smell the cheeses!

All dairy is equal. But some dairy is more equal than others?  That kind of allegory?  ;) 

• Love 5

Ryan Fenster seems like he belongs in a parody of a Jeopardy game. For someone who is an average player, he gets by (in this go round at least) on luck. He is not Tournament of Champs material. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

We need a new winner that we can root for or I’m going to have to join @peeayebee and drink more wine. 

Count me in. Cheers! 

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Me, too.  I started to say 1980, but then thought that Mondale had been governor of Minnesota and said 1984 instead.  Damn you, Walter Mondale!  (He's the first presidential candidate for whom I voted, but still.)

He wasn't governor? Huh. No wonder the answer of 1980 made no sense to me. 

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Not according to the rules as we were told them.  Liked for Alex's $100,000 Pyramid, though.

I just figured she had hippies for parents.  Or Kardashians.

Oh definitely against the rules, but like you posted later, AT lets his crush of the moment get away with it.

If her parents had been Kardashians, her name would be Katlion ;-) My sister is a 3rd grade teacher, and the made-up names and creative spellings she has seen in the past 20 years is crazy. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

He wasn't governor? Huh. No wonder the answer of 1980 made no sense to me. 

No, Mondale was Minnesota Attorney General before being appointed US Senator, succeeding Hubert Humphrey when HHH was elected VP under LBJ.  He was elected to the Senate twice on his own accord before being elected VP under Carter (Jimmy, not Kit...)

• Love 10
3 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

All dairy is equal. But some dairy is more equal than others?  That kind of allegory?  ;) 

While I'm not a dairy expert by any means, I did use to raise registered dairy goats that I milked twice a day for many years. I would sell the goat milk to people with allergies to cow milk and they could drink it fine. It also is okay to give to dogs/puppies whereas cow milk isn't good for them. Goat milk is naturally homogenized so cream doesn't rise to the top so I couldn't make butter, but I made plenty of cheese. And BTW, goat milk tastes exactly like cow milk, I fed my goats alfalfa hay and dairy grain. If I fed them the corn husks after putting up sweet corn though, their milk would taste vaguely like sweet corn. What goes in, comes back out is true of milk, too.

The news right now is talking about a proposed ban on non-milk products using "milk" in their labels (soy, almond, etc.).

• Love 6
3 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

On "The Great British Baking Show" (PBS's name), they once had to make a dairy free ice cream cake (most used coconut milk instead).

• Love 3

Gee, Alex. We know you're in love with Ryan, but you could have given the other contestants a chance to say "You've lost that loving feeling" instead of jumping in ("ooh, so close Ryan") and correcting his "You lost that loving feeling"!! (Yes, I know, probably nobody answered after Ryan and they just cut out that part, but that's not the way it looked).

• Love 18
18 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Gee, Alex. We know you're in love with Ryan, but you could have given the other contestants a chance to say "You've lost that loving feeling" instead of jumping in ("ooh, so close Ryan") and correcting his "You lost that loving feeling"!! (Yes, I know, probably nobody answered after Ryan and they just cut out that part, but that's not the way it looked).

Is that what happened? Because I was wondering the same thing. How could the other two have not gotten it after basically being handed the answer?

I don't think Ryan's sister is doing a good job keeping him humble since his story today was about how everyone is always saying how smart and humble he is.

That ending buzzer drop and blowing on his fingers - what a jerk move.

I wonder what other movies Alex thought the FJ answer could be. Star Wars? Maybe Airport?

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I stood in line opening day to see CEOTT at UIUC, yet I swore I was out of college in 1977.

It opened Thanksgiving weekend 1977, if that helps.

• Love 1

Dammit, middle guy!  You had a chance to rid us of Ryan, but you blew it and lost your lead.  I just noticed tonight that Ryan says "hunnerd" -- just another reason to want him gone.  But Michelle's upspeak, sometimes heading for registers only dogs can hear, made me want to stick forks in my ears.

Agreed that Alex should have given someone else a shot at You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'. 

FJ wasn't quite an instaget -- I had to hum the musical phrase before the title would come to me.  I wonder, too, though what the other one Alex spoke of was.

For TS, I got bomb cyclone, Mt. Whitney, and Poldark.  And I've never seen Poldark.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

Perhaps Star Wars, which opened in May 1977.

Maybe, but Star Wars never occurred to me, based on how the clue was worded.  I guess we'll never know for sure.

• Love 3
(edited)

Does anyone else think Ryan stands in front of a mirror to make his bangs precisely that way, like Superman always has that curl in his forehead? Ryan has very.exactly.divided.bang.sections.

Was that some sort of joke homage to Ellen, the lengthy video of the hockey team that showed and talked about the team getting the most bears for charity thrown on the ice when the clue was to name "this chocolate town in Pennsylvania." (Although maybe that's where Chocolate LABS live, right Prevailing Wind? LOL!)

So the answer was "Loyola" and Trebek adds, "Loyola Chicago." WTH. Remember our discussion here about the two zillion Loyolas around the country? WTH happened to BMS.

46 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I just noticed tonight that Ryan says "hunnerd"

I noticed it before but didn't even want to type his name.

Agreed that Alex should have given someone else a shot at You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'. 

That was a real WTF moment. This show is getting on my nerves. Don't have one set of rules for teacher's pet, another set of rules for the redheaded stepchildren players.

I wonder, too, though what the other one Alex spoke of was.

Star Wars. Most definitely. Because that was my guess.

One GFY drink was not enough for this episode. Justin drove me crazy with his cheapass DD bets. He gets all of them (right? Or almost all.) and he bets a freaking $800 for the first one? A whomping $1,000 for another, wow, such daring-do. Plus all of the DDs were toddler level. He could have won the freaking game if he had any ... well, nerve.

Ryan's sister isn't doing a good enough job telling him to shut up. I told him STFU several times and he doesn't listen to me either.

But Michelle's upspeak, sometimes heading for registers only dogs can hear, made me want to stick forks in my ears.

This. But without the forks. I could have taken her being champ for a day. If only. Ryan's blowing off his "hot buzzer" at the end of the game was just OTT. And reinforced what a jerk face he is.

The TS of Poldark ... speaking of if only, if only they had used THIS photo of Ross:

Poldark.jpg

Edited by saber5055
Trying to make Ross smaller!
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The TS of Poldark ... speaking of if only, if only they had used THIS photo of Ross:

Poldark.jpg

I feel like I should watch Poldark.  Possibly even with the sound off.  LOL

• Love 7

Dammit all to hell!  I was mightily rooting for Justin.  Valley Girl Michelle, with her hideous vocal fry and upspeak was almost as bad as that ass, Ryan, the self-proclaimed "smartest guy in the room".  What a douche nozzle.  I may not watch tomorrow.  It's been the week from hell.

I got Mt. Whitney, You've Lost That Loving Feeling, The Last Tycoon, and Poldark.

I felt like a total dumbass when I couldn't pull the name of one of my favorite movies out of my withered brain.  Boo hiss.

• Love 10
(edited)

I'm sick of Ryan, but I used closed captioning tonight because of some of the worst vocal fry I've heard in my entire life. It's too bad Justin never went big on the DDs. You are up against a future ToC contestant. Go big or go home. I really was pushing for Justin, and Michelle was making me want to throw things at my television and I really like my television. Hence the captioning. 

5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

But without the forks. I could have taken her being champ for a day.

I would have needed the captioning again. It was too much for me. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 9
(edited)
20 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I'm sick of Ryan, but I used closed captioning tonight because of some of the worst vocal fry I've heard in my entire life. It's too bad Justin never went big on the DDs. You are up against a future ToC contestant. Go big or go home. I really was pushing for Justin, and Michelle was making me want to throw things at my television and I really like my television. Hence the captioning. 

I would have needed the captioning again. It was too much for me. 

I must have known that woman in a previous life, because I disliked her immediately, and fully loathed her by the time she talked about her designer bag collection. The vocal fry was just the capper on that package.

My dislike of her made me forget all about my disgust with the Colorado stoner from last night who thought 1962 was a presidential election year. It's like DUDE! People already think that's all we do out here, so way to go with confirming the stereotype.

Weirdly, I don't mind Ryan. My kid thought I would hate him, but outside of Drumstick Jennifer, I always seem to like the oddball polarizing contestants. I did like middle guy tonight, but his DD wagering was so bad even I noticed.

Edited by HavartiHead42
stupid mobile version
  • Love 5

Can you imagine what it would be like to have Ryan as a co-worker? It's a wonder someone hasn't gone postal on him yet. I'm pretty sure I would if I had to face him every day and the prison time might even be worth it.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Marmariposa said:

Can you imagine what it would be like to have Ryan as a co-worker? It's a wonder someone hasn't gone postal on him yet. I'm pretty sure I would if I had to face him every day and the prison time might even be worth it.

Maybe that's why he is UNEMPLOYED.

• Love 9
(edited)

Holy smokes.  I would rather have Ryan as champion for a million straight days than one more day of Michelle and her voice.  I kept thinking of the character “Pat” on Saturday Night Live every time she spoke.

Edited by MooCat Pretzel
  • Love 4

I was trying to be kind and write off Ryan's smirking attitude as youthful arrogance but I am reaching the end of my patience.  

The story about his friend saying Ryan was the smartest guy he knew just made me think his friend needs to get out more.

Then his blowing on and holstering his weapon before FJ did my head in.  It almost drove me to root for inflicting Valley Girl Michelle.  Too bad Justin made some bad bets and last minute wrong guesses.  

Please Jeopardy gods, get Ryan off my screen soon.

• Love 20
59 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The new Ross is cute, but the original from the 70's (Robin Ellis) generates more heat.  He guest-starred as a judge in an episode of season one of the remake.  The original is on Amazon Prime -- one of the first things I looked for when I finally learned how to stream.

I couldn't watch today because of weather -- tornadoes did some major damage in three Iowa towns,  I'm really glad I missed the show.  Sounds like Ryan's getting way too big for his britches. 

• Love 7

<throws barware like she's Sonny Corinthos>

Why? Why? Why?

I am so sick of this douche ruining my show.

I got You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin', James Joyce, Poldark, and FJ.  These games are not enjoyable.

19 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

.....pencil necked dickweed.....

My exact words at the end of tonight's game.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I couldn't watch today because of weather -- tornadoes did some major damage in three Iowa towns, 

I hope you are not in Marshalltown. Our news hasn't announced the other two yet.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Marmariposa said:

I carry a pistol on me at all times...don't get excited, I'm licensed, but his stupid John Wayne/cowboy bullshit would have had me laughing before I could draw.  

• Love 3

I was rooting hard for Justin today. Michelle's voice bothered me for some reason, and I'm finally over Ryan. He didn't bug me much until today, when I was upset he took the lead at the end. 

I don't know what happened on the Righteous Brothers clue, but it would have annoyed me if I'd been one of the other contestants not to have a chance to ring in. 

My gets were James Joyce, The Last Tycoon, and FJ after briefly considering Star Wars. 

25 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I couldn't watch today because of weather -- tornadoes did some major damage in three Iowa towns,  I'm really glad I missed the show.  Sounds like Ryan's getting way too big for his britches. 

I've mentioned this before, but in Tucson Jeopardy gets interrupted every day during monsoon season to either tell us it's raining or tell us it's going to rain. Mind you, the comes on right before the 5 o'clock news, so it could wait.

My barrage of angry letters, sent over the years, has gone unanswered. I watch on Reddit and don't feel bad about it because they just will not leave Jeopardy alone. 

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I hope you are not in Marshalltown. Our news hasn't announced the other two yet.

No, we're a ways north.  Pella and Bondurant were the other two towns with substantial damage.  My husband saw a couple of small ones about 20 miles from here but they didn't touch down. 

8 minutes ago, teebax said:

I've mentioned this before, but in Tucson Jeopardy gets interrupted every day during monsoon season to either tell us it's raining or tell us it's going to rain. Mind you, the comes on right before the 5 o'clock news, so it could wait.

My barrage of angry letters, sent over the years, has gone unanswered. I watch on Reddit and don't feel bad about it because they just will not leave Jeopardy alone. 

I wouldn't mind an interruption, if the timing makes some sense.  Last week, they cut away just before FJ to cover the start of a motorcade.  The motorcade was for a deceased former governor, body being taken to lie in state at the capitol building -- not a memorial or a funeral, just to lie there for a couple days so ordinary people could pay their respects.  And it was the start of the motorcade.  The motorcade

I bitched about it on the affiliate's FB page and you'd think I'd farted at the funeral.  "Tsk tsk! Show some respect!" 

I'm still pissed about that.

And someone else Michelle (the other Michelle, the McDowell/Steenburgen/Martin one) reminds me of -- Marin Hinkle, who played Judith Harper on Two and a Half Men (Alan's ex-wife). 

• Love 5

For FJ tonight, my sci-fi knowledge tripped me up. "Watch the skies" is the famous end quote from the 1951 version of The Thing from Another World. By the time I got done thinking about when the John Carpenter version was (1982), deciding it was too late and besides John Carpenter hasn't exactly been nominated for a lot of Oscars and wait, 1977 could be George Lucas and Star Wars... By the time I realized it had to be Spielberg (ET? no, also too late) and Close Encounters, time had totally run out.

Otherwise, I got James Joyce and Poldark. I was rooting for Justin and his Dudist wedding. The Dude Abides!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

I can't believe that no one else would have gotten it though, after having it handed to them. Anyone think Alex is slipping with these random applications of the rules?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, SHD said:

I wonder what other movies Alex thought the FJ answer could be. Star Wars? Maybe Airport?

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Wow, that irked me. Like someone here said, maybe the time given for others to answer was edited out, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. 

For TS, I got bomb cyclone, Mt. Whitney, and Poldark.  And I've never seen Poldark.

I never saw Poldark either, but I got it. I've seen a photo of the guy, so that was memorable enuf for me to remember.

I also got James Joyce and was gobsmacked that it was a TS.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I stood in line opening day to see CEOTT at UIUC, yet I swore I was out of college in 1977. MEchelle’s vocal fry made me crazy.

yeah i agree...the way she ended her responses was absolutely annoying

3 hours ago, SHD said:

Is that what happened? Because I was wondering the same thing. How could the other two have not gotten it after basically being handed the answer?

I don't think Ryan's sister is doing a good job keeping him humble since his story today was about how everyone is always saying how smart and humble he is.

yeah i really have no idea either...star wars is definitely not even a viable option since the clue mentioned director and multiple academy award nominations....lucas didnt do much in terms of directing outside of the star wars franchise

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, teebax said:

I was rooting hard for Justin today. Michelle's voice bothered me for some reason, and I'm finally over Ryan. He didn't bug me much until today, when I was upset he took the lead at the end. 

I don't know what happened on the Righteous Brothers clue, but it would have annoyed me if I'd been one of the other contestants not to have a chance to ring in. 

My gets were James Joyce, The Last Tycoon, and FJ after briefly considering Star Wars. 

i used to bitch and complain to my local affiliate because whenever there is a sporting event jeopardy is not aired....they won't show it later in the night either...but then i discovered that every episode is uploaded to youtube...easy solution

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, CasketRomance said:

star wars is definitely not even a viable option since the clue mentioned director and multiple academy award nominations....lucas didnt do much in terms of directing outside of the star wars franchise

Well, one would actually have to know that, wouldn't they. Star Wars was a pretty viable option in my mind.

17 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

Anyone think Alex is slipping with these random applications of the rules?

That's what I'm starting to think. Age plus his accident/surgery. And generally maybe not caring all that much any more. Or being "above the law" like so many of the rich and famous.

• Love 3

Justin said "trail of tears" when the clue asked for "trail of 'these.' " Should we now start calling it the trail of trail of tears?

I hate it when a contestant gets away with that and isn't penalized.

• Love 5
(edited)

Justin! We were counting on you! 

TS I got were "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" & Poldark. I guessed Star Wars for FJ, but like @CasketRomance, Dr. Toothbrush said the multiple directing Oscar noms did not fit. He came up with Close Encounters just as the think music was ending. I'm surprised there was no "before your time" comment when the FJ category was revealed.

@teebax Thank you for the "Loving Feeling" explanation. I admit that I would probably be tempted to sing song name/lyric responses if I were on the show the way I do at home, but know it wouldn't be cool. 

4 hours ago, SHD said:

Right? And in case he hasn't talked to his sister today - "Shut (TF) up Ryan! 

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It's a good show, and worth watching for reasons other than Ross' hotness. Which is a great reason in itself.

2 hours ago, teebax said:

Michelle's voice bothered me for some reason

Because you can hear

1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

No, we're a ways north.  Pella and Bondurant were the other two towns with substantial damage.  My husband saw a couple of small ones about 20 miles from here but they didn't touch down. 

Glad you're OK. I hope Jaarsma Bakery in Pella came through fine. Their Dutch letters are food of the gods. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 15
38 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

Hi. New here - but not to Jeopardy. 

Would one of you tell me what TS is?  I got the other initials.

Thanks

Welcome aboard!  TS is a triple stumper, where none of the contestants answered correctly.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, teebax said:

I finally found an answer about what happened, from a Reddit poster who was at the taping. Ryan initially sang the answer (because of course he did.)Alex stopped so the judges could listen to it. The audience thought it was a licensing issue, but apparently they realized he sang "you" instead of "you've." This resulted in a need to reshoot the clue with Ryan saying the incorrect response. That's why the others didn't get to ring in. 

That explains it,  but it's still annoying. I wasn't paying particularly close attention (missed Ryan's blowing on his buzzer), and even I could tell he said "You lost" instead of "You've lost." 

I also found Michelle's voice annoying and rooted for Justin, although I wasn't nuts about his "Dudist wedding" story. I'm not a big fan of The Big Lebowski or of people who quote it or adopt it as a guide to life. I don't fault him too much for wagering conservatively, since there's no way to tell in advance whether a clue will be easy or not. I daresay we've all missed $200 clues.

I got FJ, though I was a bit thrown by the "first nomination" part. I had assumed Spielberg was nominated for Jaws.

• Love 6
(edited)

Ryan reminds me  of a young , appropriately named Andy Dick.

My only ts was eager. Also Ho Chi Minh trail, if that was a ts.

I liked Justin and was really rooting for him but he let me down.  I'm not sure if I could have taken another game with Michelle's voice and yet she would have been an improvement over Ryan.

Instaget FJ.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 9

Usually the upspeak grates on me, but I didn't even notice it this time, probably because I was grinding my teeth over Alex's pronunciation of ME-chelle.  Has he always said it that way, or is this something new since last week? 

I got Close Encounters, but for some reason I said First Encounters. I knew there was a number in there, but my tired brain couldn't come up with it. Hubs and I also briefly considered ET and Star Wars, but we knew it wasn't either of them. 

Poldark is definitely worth a watch if the genre (drink!) is your type.  

• Love 5

Justin let me down. I was so hoping for him to replace Ryan. I got Ho Chi Min (DD) Mt Whitney, The Last Tycoon, And knew it was Spielberg for FJ but didn’t come up with CEOTTK. Y’all have me thinking I need to watch Poldark now (with the volume on lol). Please give us someone tonight to beat Ryan. 

• Love 7
(edited)
17 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

If her parents had been Kardashians, her name would be Katlion ;-) My sister is a 3rd grade teacher, and the made-up names and creative spellings she has seen in the past 20 years is crazy. 

I know a woman who not only Kardashian's her kids' names, but also changes any "i" to "y" so they all read like characters from a fantasy novel. But my kids' friends have often had weird spellings as well. It's like phonics gone mad.

14 hours ago, illdoc said:

The mister said "was that a daily double?" and then backed up the recording to see what happened. Even the explanation of what happened doesn't seem like it makes sense. They could just have the two others try to get in when the light goes on - and have Ryan not click in, then splice that together. I don't see how that'd be any different than in actual play.

13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Perhaps Star Wars, which opened in May 1977.

I knew Lucas didn't get any Oscar love as director that year - they were pissed that he broke the rules and had the credits at the end. But I got confused about what they were asking, so I said Spielberg...sigh. He did, however, get a Best Director nom for American Graffitti - but that was way earlier than Star Wars.

12 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I was trying to be kind and write off Ryan's smirking attitude as youthful arrogance but I am reaching the end of my patience.  

The story about his friend saying Ryan was the smartest guy he knew just made me think his friend needs to get out more.

Me too, but it's wearing on me. That was quite the humble brag, wasn't it?

12 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

The new Ross is cute, but the original from the 70's (Robin Ellis) generates more heat.  He guest-starred as a judge in an episode of season one of the remake.  The original is on Amazon Prime -- one of the first things I looked for when I finally learned how to stream.

I think Aiden Turner is pretty darn hot, BUT, when it comes to Poldark, I just couldn't get past the original flavor. Robin Ellis will always be my Poldark. (And David Tennant is my Doctor Who, not that it matters.)

35 minutes ago, Kerri Okie said:

Usually the upspeak grates on me, but I didn't even notice it this time, probably because I was grinding my teeth over Alex's pronunciation of ME-chelle.  Has he always said it that way, or is this something new since last week?

My niece is ME-chelle, and I know others. It's a valid alternative pronunciation, so it didn't bother me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8