Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Glad you're OK. I hope Jaarsma Bakery in Pella came through fine. Their Dutch letters are food of the gods. 

I've never heard of Dutch letters.  Are they a less emotional version of French letters?

• Love 8
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also found Michelle's voice annoying and rooted for Justin, although I wasn't nuts about his "Dudist wedding" story. I'm not a big fan of The Big Lebowski or of people who quote it or adopt it as a guide to life. I don't fault him too much for wagering conservatively, since there's no way to tell in advance whether a clue will be easy or not. I daresay we've all missed $200 clues.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. (Sorry--could not resist.)

I prefer Ryan to Michelle just because I couldn't stand the question in her voice like she had no idea if she was right about anything ever. At least Ryan picks clues and answers them quickly mostly without fuss. But I can see how people are turned off by the smug especially after yesterday's interview.

I got Close Encounters instantly but I'm not sure how.

• Love 5

I knew Lucas didn't get any Oscar love as director that year - they were pissed that he broke the rules and had the credits at the end.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks, Clanstarling!

Mr. Author and I shouted Close Encounters at the same time, so no winner (for those new to the forum, at the end of the month the FJ loser treats the winner to a meal at a nice restaurant). I am, however, ahead of Mr. A (hah!)

And wouldn't Alex love that "story", if I were ever on J!

Obviously, Justin wasn't in it to win it (hate that expression, but it fits).

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

(And David Tennant is my Doctor Who, not that it matters.)

Mine, too. My first Doctor was Tom Baker, and while you never forget your first, David Tennant is the Doctor of my heart. I'm looking forward to seeing Jodie Whittaker this fall as the first female Doctor, though. Looks like it should be fun.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, teebax said:

Ryan initially sang the answer (because of course he did.)Alex stopped so the judges could listen to it. 

And the lesson is: Don't try to be cute and sing your responses.

3 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

Usually the upspeak grates on me, but I didn't even notice it this time

I'm just the opposite. Usually upspeak doesn't bother me, but hers grated on my ears.

I got Close Encounters, but for some reason I said First Encounters.

That's ok. With the [blank] Angel clue, I immediately said "Go Forward."

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kathira said:

Mine, too. My first Doctor was Tom Baker, and while you never forget your first, David Tennant is the Doctor of my heart. I'm looking forward to seeing Jodie Whittaker this fall as the first female Doctor, though. Looks like it should be fun.

My first was Chris Eccleston, who I loved, but David Tennant had me at "hmm...new teeth!" He never let me down. The showrunners in later years, maybe.

2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Count me in the Robin Ellis is Poldark group but have liked Aiden Turner ever since Being Human (British version).

Oh yes, that was my introduction. His dark and moody vampire was very hot. His dwarf in the Hobbit even had game.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, ABay said:

Is walking down stairs really the same as climbing down a pyramid?

Not even close. Pyramid steps are high, steep, narrow, and even humans with vertigo or fear of heights or fear of falling can't climb them. Up OR down.

3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I vastly prefer original myself.

You guys are OLD. Git off my lawn.

20 minutes ago, teebax said:

The poster who explained the Righteous Brothers fiasco is going to be on today. I'm rooting for her. 

Me too. (Although I'll root for anyone but "HIM" to win today.)

• Love 5
13 hours ago, teebax said:

I finally found an answer about what happened, from a Reddit poster who was at the taping. Ryan initially sang the answer (because of course he did.)Alex stopped so the judges could listen to it. The audience thought it was a licensing issue, but apparently they realized he sang "you" instead of "you've." This resulted in a need to reshoot the clue with Ryan saying the incorrect response. That's why the others didn't get to ring in. 

Which makes Ryan an even bigger dickweed.  So glad I missed that.

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Which makes Ryan an even bigger dickweed.

I know. I didn't think it was possible, but there you go.

16 minutes ago, Pallida said:

https://www.worldwanderista.com/face-your-fears-climb-pyramid-coba-mexico/ will show you the pyramid he mentioned - Ixmoja. 

Oh, cr*p. Yeah, that puppy climbed up there all by itself. And down again. Riiiiiiiight ...

Thanks for a very informative link Pallida.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, Pallida said:

I've made my dad really, really dislike Ryan because of the puppy story.

For me, I'm also annoyed by people climbing all over (and thus degrading) archaeological ruins.

https://www.worldwanderista.com/face-your-fears-climb-pyramid-coba-mexico/ will show you the pyramid he mentioned - Ixmoja. 

OK, there are a lot of people around there. I'm going to tell myself that someone else helped the puppy. Can we stop talking about it now?

• Love 11
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Pallida said:

For me, I'm also annoyed by people climbing all over (and thus degrading) archaeological ruins.

Holy crap!  How did the puppy even get up there?

Yep, saber, I'm old.  (Although I didn't watch the original when it first aired - I saw it sometime later.)  Aidan Turner doesn't really do it for me, but that means more for you. ;-)

Edited to add: my first Doctor was Peter Davison, and no other comes close in yumminess.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

First Poldark now Dr Who...I must be watching the wrong shows. My current favorite is Bosch played by Titus Welliver. He’s a LA detective based on the books by Michael Connelly. Very good show. Both Titus W. and M. Connelly are very good to their fans especially on SM. 

• Love 9
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

First Poldark now Dr Who...I must be watching the wrong shows. My current favorite is Bosch played by Titus Welliver. He’s a LA detective based on the books by Michael Connelly. Very good show. Both Titus W. and M. Connelly are very good to their fans especially on SM. 

I like Bosch, too. It's good to have a wide range of tv viewing habits. You never know what will come up on Jeopardy! Personally, I'm waiting for the category on the Great British Baking Show.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I like Bosch, too. It's good to have a wide range of tv viewing habits. You never know what will come up on Jeopardy! Personally, I'm waiting for the category on the Great British Baking Show.

Oh I watch that too! Paul’s blue eyes...

• Love 4

Two random observations about Ryan:

1. I think he is lurking here and deliberately trying to provoke a reaction. Maybe we need to use reverse psychology because I think he gets off on rejection, even though he is the smartest person in the room.

2. It seems like he goes for long spells without buzzing in at all, like he's deliberately trying to fall behind. Or, alternately, he may miss a couple of big money clues and then when it looks like he's in big trouble he pulls it out of the hat and takes the lead, like he did yesterday as he came down the final stretch. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Kathira said:

That would be fun. My daughter and I watch it as sort of a vacation from reality. Everyone's so nice (except Paul, but he's usually just mischievous). All the competitors are nice to each other (with only one exception I can think of). It's like the anti-reality show. We love it.

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I just started bingeing  Bosch this morning. So far I'm enjoying it. On topic, I see a lot of shows mentioned on Jeopardy that I've heard of but never had time to watch. We seem to be in a new golden age of TV, and I wish I had time for all the things I'd like to watch.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, teebax said:

I just started bingeing  Bosch this morning. So far I'm enjoying it. On topic, I see a lot of shows mentioned on Jeopardy that I've heard of but never had time to watch. We seem to be in a new golden age of TV, and I wish I had time for all the things I'd like to watch.

Golden and Fools Gold Age? :) 

I realize I watch way too much television whenever my pub trivia has a tv category...

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Brookside said:

I've never heard of Dutch letters.  Are they a less emotional version of French letters?

lol. They are a basic pastry filled with an almond paste & topped with granular sugar. So freaking good, and Jaarsma Bakery in Pella has the best ones according to my friends in the know. Curiously, the only letter shape they come in is 'S'

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I know a woman who not only Kardashian's her kids' names, but also changes any "i" to "y" so they all read like characters from a fantasy novel. But my kids' friends have often had weird spellings as well. It's like phonics gone mad.

(And David Tennant is my Doctor Who, not that it matters.)

My sister once had a student named Jennifer - spelled Jhenyfir. I mean, really. One of my daughters has an old family (French Creole) name from her 5x great-aunt, and most people mispronounce it. I asked her if she wanted to start going by a nickname (it lends itself to a couple of cute ones), and she said no. She likes having her "own" name. But she's only 10, so after a few years of having to spell & give the correct pronunciation, she may change her mind. 

Agree about David Tennant!

2 hours ago, teebax said:

The poster who explained the Righteous Brothers fiasco is going to be on today. I'm rooting for her. 

Go Emily!!

1 hour ago, Pallida said:

Good job with your dad.

As much as I love hands-on history, I agree that preservation is of utmost importance. 

4 minutes ago, Kathira said:

Personally, I'm waiting for the category on the Great British Baking Show.

"This show makes Toothbrush scurry into the kitchen to scarf any sugar she can find. 

What is the Great British Baking Show?"

20 minutes ago, Marmariposa said:

Two random observations about Ryan:

1. I think he is lurking here and deliberately trying to provoke a reaction. Maybe we need to use reverse psychology because I think he gets off on rejection, even though he is the smartest person in the room.

2. It seems like he goes for long spells without buzzing in at all, like he's deliberately trying to fall behind. Or, alternately, he may miss a couple of big money clues and then when it looks like he's in big trouble he pulls it out of the hat and takes the lead, like he did yesterday as he came down the final stretch. 

1. Interesting theory. I think more than getting off on rejection, he is the type to be pleased when he annoys or is divisive. 

2. That long spell in Thursday's game gave me false hope that we would be rid of him. I'm going with he does it on purpose (see #1) 

1 minute ago, teebax said:

Is it on Netflix? I agree that there is too much good TV, too little times these days. Sucks having to work for a living..lol 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

"This show makes Toothbrush scurry into the kitchen to scarf any sugar she can find.

Is it on Netflix? I agree that there is too much good TV, too little times these days. Sucks having to work for a living..lol 

One season we bought a box of Pim's orange filled cookies to watch with each episode, because one of the challenges involved a cookie or tart that was pretty much the same. I forget the name of them.

Bosch is on Prime.

• Love 5
(edited)

If Ryan is lurking here and doing things on the show to provoke us, then I give him credit for being a time traveler since shows are taped well before airing, a couple months at least.

Don't make me give him time-traveling props.

I've seen an American version of the Great British Baking Show. The older British woman judge was on that, if it still exists. I'm currently without PBS shows and can only get two network channels, this will last until winter when the forest around me deforests.

Next time I go past Pella, I'll stop and buy some letter Ss.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Buy some for me or bring them to band practice. They sound absolutely delicious. 

Consider it done! I was just 40 minutes from there two weeks ago.

ETA. I wonder if other Dutch bakeries make Dutch letters. There is a Dutch town (complete with a working windmill) close to me. I need to check it out.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

One season we bought a box of Pim's orange filled cookies to watch with each episode, because one of the challenges involved a cookie or tart that was pretty much the same. I forget the name of them.

Jaffa Cakes?

• Love 3
On 7/18/2018 at 7:11 PM, Ailianna said:

That's interesting.  In my grade school, we had a lot of girls named Amy.  So we had Amy O, and Amy T, and Amy Sa,, and Amy Sp.  We just kept adding letters instead of changing over to the whole last name.

We had two kids named Justin with the last names starting with Sz, but one kid's name was spelled "Justyn". Thus, he became forever known as "Justyn-with-a-Y".

• Love 5

What a game by Dave! By the end of it, I was totally rooting for him to make it a runaway. His breadth of knowledge is impressive, and he didn't even have a sports category to run today! I don't do Twitter, but I'm familiar with his Twitter because I love sports stats. I'm not surprised he has that many followers. BTW, Alex, there was no MLB player named Dave Mattingly! It was Don.

That was a solid run by Ryan. I know he wasn't well liked on this board, but he was impressive as a player, especially in the second round of his games. I wish him luck in the TOC.

I don't usually comment on contestants' physical appearance, but I really liked Emily's whole look. 

My only gets were gold glove (which I'm surprised Ryan and Emily didn't ring in on after Dave's mistake), and Reign of Terror. I had FJ immediately and was surprised Dave missed it, considering how well had did with other literature clues.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, teebax said:

BTW, Alex, there was no MLB player named Dave Mattingly! It was Don.

There is, however, a Dave Mattingly who's an NPR reporter. He looks a bit like the new champ, but I don't think it's him. There's also NASA astronaut Ken Mattingly. Anyway, congrats to the new champ. He really dominated the board. I don't think I got any TS's tonight, but I did get FJ.

• Love 10

Aldous Huxley never occurred to me -- I was trying my best to make an Orwell novel fit, but couldn't.  Boo, hiss.

Hooray for Dave!  Normally I don't much care for runaways, but I cheered every time he rang in with the correct response.  It seemed like both Emily and Ryan kind of checked out about halfway through DJ.

I got no TS, and made the same mistake Dave did for gold glove, even though I knew golden glove was boxing. 

• Love 6

<pops the champagne>

<throws confetti>

<kisses Dave>

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

My long national nightmare is over (well, one of them).

My only get tonight was mauve, and I don't even care because the douche is gone.

Great start to the weekend.

• Love 19

Go Dave!!!!!! But even on his last day, Ryan managed to irritate me with his story of carrying the quiz bowl team.  Liked Emily but wasn't her day.  

GBBO is one of my favorites too.  I am in awe of what the contestants can do and am impressed at how they help each other even while competing.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Bklyndeb said:

Really glad that Ryan is gone.  Did he really say "Jew" for 400 instead of Jewish American? Oy!

I know you're being rhetorical , but, yup, he did.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Bklyndeb said:

Really glad that Ryan is gone.  Did he really say "Jew" for 400 instead of Jewish American? Oy!

To make matters even worse, he said Famous Jew for $12,000. This was after regaling us earlier with carrying his quiz bowl team and then forgetting his own phone number. It's not self-deprecating, it's boneheaded.

Also, stop trying to think you get to answer again after Alex marks you wrong. It wasn't today, but he once buzzed in again after being ruled incorrect. I'm hoping for an early exit for him in the ToC. 

2 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Go Dave!!!!!! But even on his last day, Ryan managed to irritate me with his story of carrying the quiz bowl team.  Liked Emily but wasn't her day.  

I was pulling for Emily, but mad respect for Dave. :) Well done. 

Brave New World occurred to me at the last second, so I wouldn't have been able to write it down. 

• Love 13

Dave!  You hunka hunka burning love!  You're my hero!

I was so engrossed, and overcome with joy, watching Dave steamroller over "I carried the team" douche nozzle, that I forgot to write down my TS gets.

Doing happy dance and drinking!  ???

• Love 19
(edited)

I give thanks to the many gods who combined together to get rid of my personal nightmare that was Ryan Dickweed. Finally, some good news came out of this show.

Of course, he continues his self-absorbed jackassery by telling the world he "carried" his quiz bowl team. Thank goodness you were there to "carry" your teammates. It's too bad they were all brain-dead morons.

What was the deal with Trebek announcing right away that Dave looked too young to have played professional baseball. If you have to explain the joke, don't do the joke Trebek.

Belonging in the Dumb Ass Answers category: The Tocantins River is named after ... the Toucan. Well, no kidding.

Meanwhile, Trebek continued his Ryan love by starting the show telling Emily and Dave how great Ryan is so, pretty much, they are screwed. Then R. is behind after the Jeopardy round, but Trebek announces: "Don't be worried about Ryan our champion, you know how well he performs in the second half."

Yeah, he showed us his great performance today Trebek, who sort of switched his allegiance once he saw Ryan was tanking. I did a LOL when Trebek corrected Ryan's $12,000 bet to $1,200. For sure Ryan had fallen all the way out of favor when Trebek wouldn't let him change his Appalachian Trail answer. Somewhere, Trebek favorite Michelle is laughing.

And I guess that makes Ryan no longer the smartest person ever. I noticed he did not blow on and put away his "smokin' hot buzzer" today, and his expression changed dramatically from the grinning ear-to-ear nimrod of his intro to a really pissed off poor loser at the end. Bye Ryan. See ya, don't wanna be ya.

Meanwhile, game well played Dave. Stay long enough to qualify for ToC so you can kick Ryan's ass again.

Edited by saber5055
Into is not an intro.
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, teebax said:

My only gets were gold glove (which I'm surprised Ryan and Emily didn't ring in on after Dave's mistake), and Reign of Terror. I had FJ immediately and was surprised Dave missed it, considering how well had did with other literature clues.

I think some contestants look on it as unfair advantage, when an answer is basically given to them.  It's like taking candy from a baby.  Even if the baby offers the candy, it's rude to take it. 

"If you're not gonna buzz in, I'm not either."

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

May lightning strike any future player who says, when he/she finds a Daily Double: "Make it a true."

Well, it's a lot less time consuming than "I've always wanted to say this, let's make it a true Daily Double, Alex."

I knew there would be plenty of gloating here after the defeat of Ryan. I never got that riled up about him, but even I lost patience after yet another humblebraggy story about his brilliance. Excellent game by Dave, and I hope he has a good run, but I also hope not all his games are runaways.

• Love 10

hahahahhahahahahahahaha Ryan is not only gone but he got flat out steamrolled!!!

Go Dave!!! 

as for the TOC even if Dave don't make it we got Gilbert and Josh who both will clean Ryan's clock and send him home crying to mommy.

• Love 11