Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, ErinV said:

What tf is a “storyteller”.  Blah

I really don't know, but I assumed it meant he's not a regular set-up/punchline stand-up comic, but more like a Mike Birbiglia , Chris Gethard, or David Sedaris, who do comic long-form stories on stage.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, teebax said:

Cherries was an instaget for me because of the word in the clue. I liked all 3 of the contestants and would've been fine with any of them winning. 

I also had future suture, Juan Carlo, diving, and Nathan Hale. 

I guessed cherries based on the name too. I would surprised to be right. 

I liked Wes winning again, but would have been fine with any of them. 

Got those. It's Juan Carlos of Spain too. Patrick Henry didn't get executed despite his willingness to be if necessary. 

22 minutes ago, Driad said:

Herbert, for one.

I don't think this needed a BMS. It is necessary, for instance, when you need to distinguish between the pairs of Presidents who have the same last name, but there wasn't another Hoover who ran the FBI. It's an unambiguous answer to me.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

So glad Becky didn’t win.  Something about her didn’t sit right with me, though I can’t put my finger on what it is.  She did need a BMS for Hoover, and it’s a Get Out Of Jail FREE card, not just a get out of jail card.  Boo, hiss to the judges on those.  I also didn’t much care for Wes’s jacket tonight, but maybe I’m just cranky.

I first said dates for FJ, then changed to figs.  Cherries never occurred to me — I couldn’t even think of a fruit that sounded remotely like the town name.

i thought she was arrogant 

I liked Becky & her blue-green highlights & would have been fine with her winning despite leaving out free in the name of the get out of jail Monopoly card. She either knows the difference between Sinclair Lewis & Upton Sinclair, or guessed luckily. I'm thinking the former since she did great in the category. But I'm happy that happy Wes pulled it out again. And another "good for you" <drink!> I too think he did not phrase his answer of "nothing" in the form of a question. Doug's story was pretty funny, but bad guesses (generic 'King of Spain', zirconium in the "Z to A" category), and the buzzer did him in. 

TS I got were reckoned a second & Nathan Hale. I wonder if on fleek week would have been accepted in place of chic week? Hubby & I both guessed dates for FJ but figured it was way too obvious.

Basic clue: Who killed MLK?

me: James Earl Jones

Dr. Toothbrush: *shakes head* 

Clue Crew Jimmy looked positively orange. Just say no to self-tanner Jimmy. 

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I know! I thought it was a toss-up as to who was more orange, him or the orangutan. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

And naturally he's dressed as if he's on safari, rather than at the zoo down the road.

• Love 6

Honestly I don't even know what a fig looks like outside of a Newton.  I don't even know if its a fruit. 

Same goes for a date.  No idea what a date actually is. 

And I missed FJ of course. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I guessed cherries based on the name too. I would surprised to be right. 

I liked Wes winning again, but would have been fine with any of them. 

Got those. It's Juan Carlos of Spain too. Patrick Henry didn't get executed despite his willingness to be if necessary. 

I don't think this needed a BMS. It is necessary, for instance, when you need to distinguish between the pairs of Presidents who have the same last name, but there wasn't another Hoover who ran the FBI. It's an unambiguous answer to me.  

I think when there is two Hoovers that had prominent high profile positions in the government, such as Herbert and J Edgar, it is necessary to make sure you know which Hoover did which job.  And many people do confuse them. 

I didn't even know until like the last year or so when I decided to finally look it up they weren't related.  And the same with Katherine and Audrey Hepburn.  I always just assumed both those pairs were somehow relatives, but they aren't. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I liked Becky & her blue-green highlights & would have been fine with her winning despite leaving out free in the name of the get out of jail Monopoly card. She either knows the difference between Sinclair Lewis & Upton Sinclair, or guessed luckily. I'm thinking the former since she did great in the category. But I'm happy that happy Wes pulled it out again. And another "good for you" <drink!> I too think he did not phrase his answer of "nothing" in the form of a question. Doug's story was pretty funny, but bad guesses (generic 'King of Spain', zirconium in the "Z to A" category), and the buzzer did him in. 

TS I got were reckoned a second & Nathan Hale. I wonder if on fleek week would have been accepted in place of chic week? Hubby & I both guessed dates for FJ but figured it was way too obvious.

Basic clue: Who killed MLK?

me: James Earl Jones

Dr. Toothbrush: *shakes head* 

I kept saying "Free! Get out of Jail Free!". Personally, I expect she knew the difference - as did I (English major)  Though now that I look at it in print in the morning I'm going...now which one was it?

I wondered the same thing about the chic week question.

I chose Figs for FJ.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

It could be, but it could also mean several other things: https://www.themuse.com/advice/5-career-paths-for-people-who-love-telling-stories

There are professional storytellers.  It's something like stand-up comedy, but not quite the same, and the stories aren't always funny.  Storytellers tend to get gigs performing at various conferences, organizational meetings, in schools and public libraries, and so forth.  Many of the people who do it are also comedians, actors, or singers, but storytelling itself is slightly different than all of those things.

The National Storytelling Network (http://storynet.org) is the professional organization for storytellers.  If you follow the "Find a Storyteller" link at that site, you can see the listings for various storytellers, descriptions of the kind of stories they tell, and what you would need to do if you wanted to hire them.  It's not a field that a lot of people know about, but there are some interesting things going on there.

Wes does not seem to be a member of the National Storytelling Network, or at least he doesn't have a listing there.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I think if you give more than required (as in this case) they won't rule you incorrect unless the part you added was wrong - if she had said "Brigham Carson" she would have been ruled incorrect.

Ah yes!  That makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying. 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I thought it was either figs or dates....even though I wasn't sure if either of them are fruit. 

I looked it up and to make it even more confusing, Turkey is a world's leader in fig production.  And it is a fruit.  Turkey is first or second, with Egypt, depending on the source you look at

But obviously did not fit with the clue

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Driad said:

Herbert, for one.

Oh him. :)

9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Yes that. :)

I think Wes is just one of those players who sorta mumbles the "What is" part of the response or says it super fast. I'm sure the judges or Alex would have dinged him if he didn't say it, esp if he repeatedly didn't say it.

• Love 3

I'm beginning to think the judges will accept just an S for "what is" - as in " 's figs?"  (Which was the fruit I chose, even though I think they're nasty and can only eat them when they're within the confines of a Newton.)

My nextdoor neighbor belonged to a storytelling group, but as she slipped further off her meds & deeper into her insanity, her stories became so disjointed and nonsensical, they never asked her back.  Every so often I ask her how she's doing on her meds and most times now, she claims she's on 'em just fine, but how can you really know until she has one of her "Bill Cosby is gonna rape my niece on her 11th birthday" rants? <sigh> The mind can be so fragile.

• Love 3

I liked Becky, but can't remember her story.  I don't know if it was Monday or Tuesday's game, but I could not get Angela Davis from my brain to my mouth.  I KNEW it was Davis, but the synapses weren't firing.

• Love 1

Shout out to @CarpeDiem54 with the CO state flag. 

And moi. Though I tend to fly the Denver Broncos flag, instead :)

I thought it was a toss-up as to who was more orange, him or the orangutan. 

LOL. If this was a political loop, I'd add someone else.

I liked Becky. Sheesh, you guys. If a jeptestant sways and nervously waves his/her buzzer around, we criticize. If a jeptestant is quick on the buzzer and all business, we call her arrogant?

Wes knows how to bet for FJ. I like that. I like him.

I could have stood there forever or longer before I'd guess cherries for FJ, but I ran the opera category before the first clue was revealed.

The only one who didn't come up was Brünnhilde! 

• Love 8

I was obsessed with how Becky's hair matched her top. And Doug drove me crazy - Alex had to snap him out of his daze a few times. I thought Becky played a great game, but i'm okay that Wes won.

• Love 8
(edited)

@Brookside, I'm with you on the contestant stories. Ubiquity doesn't mean it's not tiresome and a  waste of time. Just get on with the game. The contestant intros is one of the reasons I record rather than watch it in real time.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 8

I felt bad for the guy on the right, he kept trying to buzz in for every clue and every time got locked out. That has to be so frustrating, to FINALLY make it onto this show and then not get a chance to play.

I was all WTH Trebek when he said "WRONG" and then gave the correct answer of "Juan Carlos" without letting anyone else buzz in to answer. I swear I heard the woman player make a noise, like she had buzzed in and was going to give the correct answer.

Trebek continues to be the definition of an asshat, if that's ever a clue on this show.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I never associated Turkey with cherries either, but I did know that cerasus was the Latin word for cherry.

I got emollient, Juan Carlos, reckoned second, and Nathan Hale.

Like several others, I didn't hear Wes say "What is" before the answer "nothing."  I'll just assume he said it very quickly and softly.

I got Juan Carlos and Nathan Hale.  Said figs for FJ.  Oh, and I got diving - between Ronald and Neymar, I've seen a lot of that over the past month.

15 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I thought the braid / cornrow thing was sliced a bit close. 

I said Cio-Cio San for the Opera Heroine clue - because that is the character's actual name.  Wouldn't have argued about Madame Butterfly, though.  Yes, I ran that category; even predicted a couple of them.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

She did need a BMS for Hoover, and it’s a Get Out Of Jail FREE card, not just a get out of jail card.

Agreed.

15 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I thought the braid / cornrow thing was sliced a bit close

Apparently braid is too specific.  Who knew?

15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought the injury-faking in soccer was called flopping, though I know that didn't fit the clue as far as being an Olympic sport, though for a second I thought of the Fosbury Flop.

It can be referred to as flopping, but diving is the sport-specific term.  You'll even seen players and managers pantomime diving when they think the other teams' player has gotten away with it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Alex didn't give the "Juan Carlos" answer; Doug did. But Alex was correct in saying it came too late. But Doug DID say it, so it would just be weird to let one of the other players come in and say it again. It's not the same as his Zirconium/Zirconia flub. I think this is a case where Doug's late answer just caused them to throw out the question - unfortunate for Becky and Wes, but I've seen them do that before.

(I don't mean throw out the question entirely, Doug still got dinged for it, just anticlimactic to let anyone else respond when the right answer was already out)

Edited by Gimmick Genius
Misspell
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, DrScottie said:

There's only been one Nehru who was the leader of India, but they demanded a first name for that one, and ruled the contestant incorrect when he/she couldn't come up with it.  They need to be consistent - either require first names or don't.  This is a perennial Jeopardy pet peeve of mine.

35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was all WTH Trebek when he said "WRONG" and then gave the correct answer of "Juan Carlos" without letting anyone else buzz in to answer. I swear I heard the woman player make a noise, like she had buzzed in and was going to give the correct answer.

I wonder if he had to consult with the judges or something, and it was edited out.  Because otherwise, yeah, what the hell?

• Love 10
(edited)
19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

They need to be consistent - either require first names or don't.  This is a perennial Jeopardy pet peeve of mine.

Mine too. Another pet peeve is accepting answers with too much in them, like "What is The Clan" for "Wu Tang _____."

Edited by saber5055
A comma is not a period.
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It can be referred to as flopping, but diving is the sport-specific term.  You'll even seen players and managers pantomime diving when they think the other teams' player has gotten away with it.

I call it diving because that's what they call it in hockey, and I watch way more hockey than I watch soccer.

But go Croatia on Sunday....

• Love 5
9 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

There are professional storytellers.  It's something like stand-up comedy, but not quite the same, and the stories aren't always funny.  Storytellers tend to get gigs performing at various conferences, organizational meetings, in schools and public libraries, and so forth.  Many of the people who do it are also comedians, actors, or singers, but storytelling itself is slightly different than all of those things.

The National Storytelling Network (http://storynet.org) is the professional organization for storytellers.  If you follow the "Find a Storyteller" link at that site, you can see the listings for various storytellers, descriptions of the kind of stories they tell, and what you would need to do if you wanted to hire them.  It's not a field that a lot of people know about, but there are some interesting things going on there.

Wes does not seem to be a member of the National Storytelling Network, or at least he doesn't have a listing there.

When my youngest was in the drama program in high school, they had a professional come for an event - he was wonderful. My daughter also participated in a district wide story telling contest in the 3rd or 4th grade. The kids worked really hard, and the winners from the individual schools competed in the district finals. Then the powers that be decided to ditch their evaluation sheets and draw a winner out of the hat. No one was happy with that, except maybe the winner (though I think even at that age I wouldn't have liked winning by lottery).

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm beginning to think the judges will accept just an S for "what is" - as in " 's figs?"  (Which was the fruit I chose, even though I think they're nasty and can only eat them when they're within the confines of a Newton.)

Me neither. It goes so well with the cookie part of the newton I'm not sure I'd want to try.

• Love 3

Re figs... there's an incredibly lovely fig and caramelized onion 'jam' available in Quebec that is utterly delicious, especially if spread on a ripe or soft cheese... on top of some really amazing french bakery bread, crisp crackers, or fresh croissant. Just sayin'. You can slip a sliver of pear somewhere in there too if you're feeling frisky.

• Love 6

Glad George whiffed FJ.  He was kinda slow on the clue-picking, though he seemed to have a pretty good knowledge base.  I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.  I've read all three of those books.

I can't believe Three Little Kittens was a TS!  And it made me sad that Speechless was -- it's a really good show.  I also got ape, Denzel Washington Monument, Google Earth, and wadi -- thank you, crossword puzzles!  Wadi shows up a lot in those. 

• Love 10

<thanks all the Jeopardy gods that are out there>

I've never stopped watching because I don't like a champ, but there is no way in hell I would have watched George again. 

Anyway, yesterday I got Juan Carlos, diving, and Nathan Hale.  No clue for FJ.

Today I got Three Little Kittens and Speechless.  FJ was out of my mouth before Alex finished reading the clue.  I love me some Wicked.

<thanks the Jeopardy gods again because it can't hurt>

• Love 5
11 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I thought it was either figs or dates....even though I wasn't sure if either of them are fruit. 

I am not sure either but I  am gratified to see that so many people also came with the same two answers that I did! I immediately thought figs and then changed it to dates and then thought to myself I don't know if they are even a fruit.Today however I was on fire. I did well in every category except the one I expected to do well in... the TV shows. I only got two of those families. I got all the double jeopardy  clues and Final Jeopardy immediately and I don't know how I  guessed wicked.  Happy to see Wes survive although I was screaming at him for not betting more on the DJ in women authors.  I liked Zadie Smith's first books but she lost me. I still don't know why he didn't get braids yesterday but they gave cornrows to the other guy. Most people I know consider those to be the same thing.. or at least it could have been you need to be more specific. I liked all the contestants today. I  knew they would reverse Google Maps and press room. Made up for my semi crappy tennis day.9 hours of stress.

• Love 3

I watched this on YouTube, and the thumbnail for the video revealed the winner--arrgh! But good for Wes making it three wins. I was surprised that Athena was a TS, though I wouldn't really consider her Ares's "female counterpart."

• Love 3
22 hours ago, opus said:

Is there a game show that doesn't attempt to get to know the contestants a little?

I mean, there probably is/was, but I'm blanking....

I thought of the one I was trying to come up with last night. The Weakest Link. I think they pretty much got straight down to business without any chit chat.

• Love 4

Loved what Wes was wearing. It looked like how T'challa would dress in Wakanda.

I was not surprised that four-word "Pope Benedict The 16th" was a TS in the category "I can name that man in two words."

Yes, Noel is a man's name (Felicity anyone?), but when it's associated with Christmas and pronounced No-EL, that makes it a little harder to think of as a masculine moniker.

Looking forward to comments about the very-narrowed-down category of Black Woman Authors.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Loved what Wes was wearing. It looked like how T'challa would dress in Wakanda.

I was not surprised that four-word "Pope Benedict The 16th" was a TS in the category "I can name that man in two words."

Yes, Noel is a man's name (Felicity anyone?), but when it's associated with Christmas and pronounced No-EL, that makes it a little harder to think of as a masculine moniker.

Looking forward to comments about the very-narrowed-down category of Black Woman Authors.

I know - what??? Maybe the Roman numerals didn't count as words...  So technically, it was 2 words and some letters...?  No, not convinced.

• Love 5

Congrats to Wes, again!  George drove me nuts with his slow picking.

I call BS on accepting Google Maps for Google Earth.  They aren't the same thing.

A picture of Cami Knickers Parker-Bowles?  Gak!  Drink!?

I got Three Little Kittens and Google Earth (DD).

FJ was an instaget.  A few years ago a few friends had a "girl's day at the theater" to see Wicked and included my BFF's 10 year-old granddaughter.  At intermission she proclaimed, "Boy, that little green gal can sing!"

• Love 11
(edited)
46 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I know - what??? Maybe the Roman numerals didn't count as words...  So technically, it was 2 words and some letters...?  No, not convinced.

I thought the description of the person was two words long, not the person's name. I remembered Benedict but forgot his numeral, so I wonder if I would have been ruled incorrect for saying only "Benedict."

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I call BS on accepting Google Maps for Google Earth.  They aren't the same thing.

A picture of Cami Knickers Parker-Bowles?  Gak!  Drink!?

I got Three Little Kittens and Google Earth (DD).

FJ was an instaget.  A few years ago a few friends had a "girl's day at the theater" to see Wicked and included my BFF's 10 year-old granddaughter.  At intermission she proclaimed, "Boy, that little green gal can sing!"

They're not the same thing but it seems like they both fit the clue, with the reservation that I don't know what year they were introduced - were they both from 2005 (was it?) 

• Love 1
Just now, GreekGeek said:

I thought the description of the person was two words long, not the person's name. I remembered Benedict but forgot his numeral, so I wonder if I would have been ruled incorrect.

Oops, I hit the quote button by accident! Does anyone know how to delete their own post?

2 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought the description of the person was two words long, not the person's name. I remembered Benedict but forgot his numeral, so I wonder if I would have been ruled incorrect for saying only "Benedict."

Oh I think you're right - the description was 2 words.  I withdraw my snarky comment!  (But were all the other correct responses 2 words?  I got led down the garden path.)

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Oops, I hit the quote button by accident! Does anyone know how to delete their own post?

I'm not sure if you can. 

Oh, you said oops and weren't talking to opus. I was wondering why you were telling me....

Kidding :)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And it made me sad that Speechless was -- it's a really good show. 

I think I watched the first two eps of that show and then stopped because I didn't like how sloppy their house was. I felt the same way about The Middle. Stupid reason, I know. I went back and watched and loved The Middle. I'm sure I'd feel the same about Speechless. As for this clue, I 'knew' it but just couldn't bring the name to my lips.

I got Three Little Kittens and ape. For the Pope, I only got Benedict the....?

FJ was easy peasy.

Yay, Wes!

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

The best I've been able to do is to go in and edit, delete everything, then leave a period as your comment.  It seems to go away eventually.  Don't understand why there isn't a delete option, perhaps a moderator can explain.

59 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I agree, and to give Stel I think $6K for that was absurd. It could have determined the game but thankfully didn't.

For TS I got 3 little kittens, Pope Benedict, and Denzel Washington Monument. FJ was an instaget.

I think the judges were right insisting on cornrows because cornrows are one of many types of braids, and they were referring to a specific military regulation that doesn't apply to other types of braids.

I was happy to see a Zadie Smith clue; I loved both White Teeth and NW.

10 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I liked Becky. Sheesh, you guys. If a jeptestant sways and nervously waves his/her buzzer around, we criticize. If a jeptestant is quick on the buzzer and all business, we call her arrogant?

Only one poster called Becky arrogant but regardless, mileage varies.

• Love 5

I love those Before and After categories. I would totally visit the Denzel Washington Monument. A number of years ago he was filming "The Equalizer" just down the road from my sister's place. We got a glimpse of the set there, but we couldn't get too close. 

I must admit that I didn't do too well on the "little" category. Mostly because my father would make jokes like "Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet....Dead." It was mostly because a lot of those rhymes are rather gruesome so he just extended it to all of them. As a consequence, I forgot how many of the rhymes actually went. 

I got "Wicked" after thinking about "The Lion King" for about 5 seconds and realizing that was wrong.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I thought so too. Yet, they still managed to finish off both boards tonight. 

• Love 5