Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, opus said:

l got Phoebe because they were down to Phoebe or Chandler.

Thank you! I knew Phoebe but when he implied it was obvious because it waa the last one I wondered how I missed the question about Chandler but until I read your post I didn't put it together that there are only 5 clues and 6 Friends, so shut it Alex saying that Phoebe was the only remaining answer.

• Love 6

Every single one of them lost to a new winner who was "one-and-done."  That has got to mean something.  Does anyone have an idea about how this has happened so many times?  I find it very curious....

A friend of mine who won their game and then lost their second game said (and its been a while since he said it so I hope I get it right) that you are so excited that you won but you have basically five minutes between games and its hard to calm down emotionally and then play again.  I'm guessing its even more exciting when you take down a champ who has been on a while. 

I didn't put it together that there are only 5 clues and 6 Friends, so shut it Alex saying that Phoebe was the only remaining answer.

I know!  I thought the same thing. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Bliss said:

Great game!

Can someone explain to me why it irritates me when a contestant starts a category somewhere in the middle? Am I OCD or what?

I actually think Austin came up with the best response to this, in one of his interviews:

I like going down the columns because if it’s a clever or witty wordplay, or a snarky category, you gotta see one or two clues to see what they’re getting at. You toss away a $200 clue, you toss away a $400 clue, and then you go, “Ah, now I understand the category and I can get the rest of the clues in this category.” Sometimes the writers are a little too clever for their own good, and you can’t figure out what kind of tongue-in-cheek, clever facet they’re trying to convey until you see a couple of clues. By bouncing around the game board, you lose that. The game is written from top to bottom. 

Those of us who play at home probably agree -- it can be disorienting to come into a category in the middle, but starting at the top eases you in.

• Love 15
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Thank you! I knew Phoebe but when he implied it was obvious because it waa the last one I wondered how I missed the question about Chandler but until I read your post I didn't put it together that there are only 5 clues and 6 Friends, so shut it Alex saying that Phoebe was the only remaining answer.

I'll defend Alex here: Someone had guessed Chandler earlier, so Phoebe was the only one that hadn't been said aloud.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

FG was easy easy easy.

I got it right away, and I'm a moron when it comes to the business category (unless it's tech).

15 hours ago, teebax said:

It's not a requirement, but it's something worn with pride. I never looked better in anything than I did in my dress uniform.  I imagine they wear them because they're proud of their service. There have been active duty personnel on Jeopardy who didn't wear their uniforms.

As to why other professions don't wear their uniforms, I don't know. Now I'm picturing a contestant in a fire fighter's uniform and laughing, so it would seem strange to me.

From my long ago days as a military brat, I thought it was required. Something about representing the military. So it never bothered me. 

13 hours ago, opus said:

l got Phoebe because they were down to Phoebe or Chandler.

Like an idiot, I went with Chandler. 

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That's what I said!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
Just now, dcalley said:

I'll defend Alex here: Someone had guessed Chandler earlier, so Phoebe was the only one that hadn't been said aloud.

But that isn't what he said and even though Chandler was incorrectly guessed doesn't mean he couldn't have come up as an answer.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

But that isn't what he said and even though Chandler was incorrectly guessed doesn't mean he couldn't have come up as an answer.

Of course I agree on the latter point but am just trying to explain where I thought Alex was coming from. My recollection of what he said was "it's the only one left" (that hasn't been mentioned). Obviously it's up to interpretation.

• Love 2

WARNING: Don't look at the jeopardy.com website today.  Not only does their J!Buzz section give away today's winner, it tells you details about how the game plays out.

I don't understand it.  That website is always good about not spoiling and does not tell you who won a game until late at night of the game day.

• Love 5

UPDATE: Don't go to J!Buzz today or ever, unless you are an Austin fan. (That, plus yes, you will find out who wins today.) There are nine video links on that page and SEVEN (yes, SEVEN!) of them feature The Smartest Person In The World. Obviously, his tedious 15 minutes are not yet up.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Well it's not like a moon would be named "Chandler" :P

3 hours ago, dcalley said:

That too.

• Love 1

Pretty good game. Plus, I liked all three contestants.

TSs I got were Phoebe, juggling, and Potter. I couldn't quite come up with Sinn Fein. My brain kept going back to Feng Shui. 

At first with FJ, I was concentrating on 2001 having to do with 9/11. But I pretty quickly just went to the obvious, Enron.

• Love 2

So many TS's! I got Henry James, Les Miserables, -ectomy, -algia, (though they accepted an alternate answer), political, Vergil, and Japan.  I was surprised Manny wasn't better at geography, though I guess it's unfair to expect a Navy man to know where everyplace is.

And what a crazy finish! I remembered the previous game with the $1 champ way back in the 90's. I didn't remember the exact year or whether there had been others. though.

• Love 3

And what a crazy finish! I remembered the previous game with the $1 champ way back in the 90's. I didn't remember the exact year or whether there had been others. though.

Grrrrrrr - I really need to learn not to read this forum until 8:00 p.m., after the show ends.

• Love 1

Great finish. She looked like she was gonna burst. One question though. How come she came in 2nd with $2,000 and he came in 3rd with $1,000? They both had the same going into Final Jeopardy and both ended with $0.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Great finish. She looked like she was gonna burst. One question though. How come she came in 2nd with $2,000 and he came in 3rd with $1,000? They both had the same going into Final Jeopardy and both ended with $0.

At that point, it reverts to whoever is ahead at the end of the first round of regular play.  Fran gets 2nd place over Carlos due to her having more money after the Jeopardy! round, Fran's $2,800 vs. Carlos' $2,200.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 7
Just now, Tunia said:

At that point, it reverts to whoever is ahead at the end of the first round of regular play.  Fran gets 2nd place over Carlos due to her having more money after the Jeopardy! round. Fran's $2,800 vs. Carlos' $2.200.

Thanks. Never knew that. Don’t like it though. LOL!!!

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I have read that it goes to the person who was winning at the end of the Jeopardy round, in this case. Not 100% sure about that though. I have also heard that it goes to the person who was last in the lead between the tied contestants (i.e. they keep going back each question until one person is ahead of the other)

10 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

THAT was awesome. Go Manny!

Carlos should have been dinged for Weird Al YankoVICH.

I only remember one TS I got: Japan. Second day in a row with a wild guess for FJ (Turkey) and second day in a row I'm wrong.

I heard the Yankovich too - I thought it was okay because in some languages, the -ic on the end is actually pronounced "ich". So it depends how Anglicized you are making the name.

I also guessed Turkey, mixing up the Black Sea and Caspian Sea (I clearly didn't think too much about the Persian Gulf section of the clue).

• Love 4
22 hours ago, teebax said:

It's not a requirement, but it's something worn with pride. I never looked better in anything than I did in my dress uniform.  I imagine they wear them because they're proud of their service. There have been active duty personnel on Jeopardy who didn't wear their uniforms.

As to why other professions don't wear their uniforms, I don't know. Now I'm picturing a contestant in a fire fighter's uniform and laughing, so it would seem strange to me.

22 hours ago, whinewithwine said:

I'm a Rad/MRI tech...I live in scrubs.  When they're too funky to work in, they become pajamas.

Basically I think it also comes down to the fact that other professions don't have dress uniforms, for the most part.  Scrubs would look really lazy on TV, and nurses don't have a dress uniform. Police officers do, but believe it or not, it's almost impossible to get into most police dress uniforms by oneself, and I'm not sure the green room has valets.  (In the gentleman's dresser sense, not the car parking sense!)

I think the points about representing are also good, but you can be quite formal, and there is a long tradition of military uniforms being worn for important occasions, such as weddings, for example, that aren't strictly "on duty" events. 

On a practical level, I think it also helps them by not having to change clothe in the 5 minutes or so between episodes all day long!

52 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I was surprised Manny wasn't better at geography, though I guess it's unfair to expect a Navy man to know where everyplace is.

If you mean the categories prior to FJ, then I think he was getting beaten to the buzzer a lot.  And he was pretty close--q and n are almost the same, right? :)

• Love 1

Holy cow!  Yay for Manny!  Carlos had the potential to be a "character".  After Chewbacca, I couldn't handle another character.

31 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Fran was a man. Not making any judgements here, I liked her. 

I liked her, too.  She is the spitting image (down to the swaying due to painful feet) of a transgender friend of mine.  She even sounds like Fran.  I had to do a double take when I saw her.

I got Iowa City, quartz, and Virgil.

As much as that area of the world is in the news, I'm embarrassed to admit I was clueless for FJ.  But not so clueless as to answer Tibet.

• Love 6

Wow. Iran was the first thing to pop into my head. 

33 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Iowa City, quartz, and Virgil.

Knew the others and guessed Virgil and got -ectomy. 

24 minutes ago, RT4 said:

Tibet lol.

At least Azerbaijan borders the Caspian and Iraq does touch the Persian Gulf, but Tibet...that's just sad. 

• Love 5

I was yelling IOWA CITY since the Hawkeyes play only about an hour away from me. Couldn't believe it was a TS. And Tibet for FJ? Just ... wow. As someone posted upthread: "Geography, people!" Yes, take a look at a world map before you go on this show. Or at least know where Mt. Everest is located. LOL at ClareWalks' Comicbook Man cartoon. No kidding for sure. Hope Manny pulls himself out of it tomorrow. I will be gone so will depend on ya'll here to fill me in.

• Love 2

It made me terribly sad that The Amazing Race was a TS!  That’s one of my favorite shows.  I also got -algia and biopsy.

I did like middle guy’s story about running with roller derby in New Orleans, but that was about all I liked about him.  He and Fran both gave so many boneheaded answers!  Although Fran takes the cake with Tibet.  Overall, it was a terrible game, and even though I hate his starting mid-category, I’m glad Manny won again.  

Oh, and I had my own wild-ass guess of Turkey for FJ, but at least I was closer than Tibet!

• Love 5

How dumb was the guy in the middle to make a DD wager that put him into a tie for the lead?  Glad he didn't win, though.

I liked the lady and was surprised she risked everything.   

What a wild finish!  

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

Wow. Iran was the first thing to pop into my head. 

Knew the others and guessed Virgil and got -ectomy. 

At least Azerbaijan borders the Caspian and Iraq does touch the Persian Gulf, but Tibet...that's just sad. 

Virgil was the only Roman poet I could think of, so I guessed him, too! I didn't actually know the trivia, haha.

I have a friend from Azerbaijan, and had never heard of it when I first met him. I studied that area of the world to get myself educated, and it payed off today with FJ! Agreed that Azerbaijan and Iraq were at least reasonable guesses.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, ClareWalks said:

If Austin were a 5-year-old, he would be described as "precocious." This is not a type of person I would choose to be friends with. But as long as he keeps winning thrilling DDs and gives up the "I hate such-and-such" testimonials, he is watchable.

(I really hope his referring to himself as "the smartest person in the world" is facetious, although he should know that sarcasm/joking is not obvious in print, DUH, "smarty" :-P)

When Austin was five, I'm sure people described him as obnoxious.  Just as people describe him today as obnoxious.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Yeah, I was thinking that was wrong.

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

I also guessed Turkey, mixing up the Black Sea and Caspian Sea (I clearly didn't think too much about the Persian Gulf section of the clue).

I too guessed Turkey. I actually felt pretty confident. Until reading your post, I didn't even know I had mixed up the two seas. I suck at geography.

I was shocked at the outcome. Lucky Manny. Tibet? Yes, I suck at geography, but not that much.

My TSs were The Amazing Race, Henry James, quartz, -algia, and Japan.

I loved Carlos's story about "running with the roller derby women."

Why didn't they all come out to chat during the closing moments? 

• Love 3

It always amazes me how contestants will know obscure facts - and then not know something I learned as a young child, like Roman numerals. Am I the only one who shouts the answer at the tv, hoping the contestant will "get it" via my yelling it? "D! D! D!"

What a finish! I hope Manny bought a lottery ticket the day this show was taped... I swear he had an angel hovering nearby. I wonder if he'd tucked those gold wings (the ones his Dad gave him) in one of his military uniform pockets.

• Love 5

I was so excited to read about the existence of a website to talk about The Amazing Race, but when I looked up Tarflies, turned out it hasn't been updated since 2010. (sad trombone) Curses, Jeopardy!, you got my hopes up!

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Tunia said:

You don't like PTV's TAR forum, ChicagoCita?

Oh, yes, I do, but I'm greedy. I want more. ;-) I should probably have a tattoo that says that.

Topic? I am absolutely amazed and happy that a player won with a single dollar. I'm glad it was Manny. I like him. And that's a story he can tell the rest of his life.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, illdoc said:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/highlights/$1-winners     Only 1 other time--1993, Air Force Lieutenant Colonel, another military man.

I liked the article and the video at that link. It's simply true: Even if you only win a single game, a Jeopardy! champ is a Jeopardy! champ and no one can take that away from you. "I was a Jeopardy! champion," is an awesome thing to be able to say for the rest of your life.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Fex said:

Virgil was the only Roman poet I could think of, so I guessed him, too! I didn't actually know the trivia, haha.

I have a friend from Azerbaijan, and had never heard of it when I first met him. I studied that area of the world to get myself educated, and it payed off today with FJ! Agreed that Azerbaijan and Iraq were at least reasonable guesses.

I guessed Ovid, picked the wrong Roman poet.  Basically a 50/50 chance. 

As soon as I saw the FJ question, and the current scores for them with the two tied at the top, I could say where that FJ was going.  I didn't think any of them would get the FJ answer. 

And yes it is stupid too bet to be in a tie for the lead.  Just for the season we saw here. 

• Love 4

Holy shit!  I was one of the people who used to post on the Tarflies website (now we're basically all posting about the show on Facebook).   When I told the gang on Facebook that we were mentioned on Jeopardy, everyone was very excited.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well it's not like a moon would be named "Chandler" :P

Tell that to this idiot. LOL.

13 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I wondered if Wierd Al would have been enough - given that while his last name is said often, he's often referred to just by "Wierd Al."

10 hours ago, Fex said:

I knew it wasn't Turkey, because I used to live there as a kid (military brat) -but I sussed out Iran basically by the Persian Gulf - since Iran used to be Persia. I had no real idea where the Caspian sea was.

• Love 3

I always get the Black & Caspian Seas mixed up. No matter what the correct response is on J!, I invariably have guessed the other one.

I'm doing *much* better with map geography since I've been doing "The Countries of the World" on JetPunk.com.  Fill in the map in 15 minutes - 196 sovereign nations.  I've gotten it done in as little as 6 minutes, but I'm limited by my typing skills. But the seas aren't labelled.  :-(

• Love 6