Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm sorry Marcus didn't win. Nan is fine. I didn't mind her Scottish accent. Heck, I didn't mind Alex's either. As it happens, I tried out a bit of Scottish myself today. Our dog was running around in the park, and I said, "You can't take away my FREEDOM!"

I got Pat Garrett, albatross, cowcatcher, and the DD of kiwi. For FJ I guessed Gulliver's Travels.

• Love 5

Three pleasant, knowledgable contestants, although Nan's noisy reactions may get old quickly. Did Kathleen mash the buzzer in Friday's game, because I don't remember it bothering me if she did. I guess she realized Nan & Marcus were quick and thought mashing the buzzer = being quick on the buzzer. She reminds me a lot of one of my sister's friends, so I liked her. Nan reminds me of an actress who I think I have seen primarily in commercials. Or maybe a sitcom mom. I thought it was sweet that Marcus gave Nan a congratulations hug.  

TS I got were Nietzsche, kiwi (missed DD; Nan didn't hear me shouting it either), & Lady Vols

I had no clue for FJ, but it was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Nan reminds me of an actress who I think I have seen primarily in commercials. Or maybe a sitcom mom.

Susan Sullivan, Dharma's mother-in-law on Dharma & Greg , Castle's mother on Castle, Maggie on Falcon Crest, perhaps?

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

We thought Nan and Alex were weirdly flirting.

It seemed like that to me too!

Is Vols short for Volunteers or would I have been wrong with Volunteers?

Kiwi was a surprising miss on that DD.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Susan Sullivan, Dharma's mother-in-law on Dharma & Greg , Castle's mother on Castle, Maggie on Falcon Crest, perhaps?

She's always "Lenore" for me - first saw her on "Another World" during summer vacations. My mom was hooked on the NBC soaps in the 60s. She was also hooked on Tab. Anybody remember Tab, Coke's first "diet" drink? She'd make ice cream floats with it. No wonder she didn't lose any weight. Bwaaahahahahaha. 

I was stunned that I got FJ. What did she guess instead of Kiwi? Emu? Rhea? ...one of the largest breeds of bird.  Yikes.

• Love 5

Aw, I really liked Marcus.

Two Monty Python clues!  I am taking that Albatross was a Monty Python shoutout.  Especially because if I had been a contestant I would have yelled it ala  John Cleese. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

The category History with Sound Effects might possibly be the stupidest thing I've ever seen/heard in my life. Boo, hiss.

There was no point to it. If the sounds had somehow added to the clue, it might have been. But this was just noise.

13 hours ago, rubaco said:

I totally didn't get the point, and assumed I was just being dense.

On a shallow note, Marcus had cheekbones to die for.

And lovely hair.

12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

My excuse for missing FJ was that I was signing for my grocery order.  The real reason is, I didn't know it.  I didn't realize that novel was set off the coast of South America.  I need to go back and reread some classics.

I didn't either - I just dug back into the cobwebs of my memory to my English novel class and picked the first one I could remember that had an island and about the right time period. I figured I was wrong. Some classics aren't worth rereading, imo. But then I've always been more a populist in my tastes. Tom Jones, now, that might be fun to reread. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

There was no point to it. If the sounds had somehow added to the clue, it might have been. But this was just noise.

I somehow missed the sound effects part of the category and I didn't realize the sounds were coming from the TV until the baby cried!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, rubaco said:

I totally didn't get the point, and assumed I was just being dense.

On a shallow note, Marcus had cheekbones to die for.

I coveted his hair, myself.

I got Nietzsche, albatross, Pat Garrett, Lady Vols, and cowcatcher (my railroad worker dad would never have forgiven me if it'd missed that one), but stupidly said emu instead of kiwi even though I know emus are big.  I did get FJ, though.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I just dug back into the cobwebs of my memory to my English novel class and picked the first one I could remember that had an island and about the right time period.

That's about what I did, I really had no idea on FJ, it was a complete guess.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Bazinga said:

She does resemble her! But that is not who first came to mind. The actress I am thinking of is closer to Nan's age now than Susan Sullivan would be. Next time I see the commercial I will have to watch it instead of ff.  

8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

We thought Nan and Alex were weirdly flirting.

Totally!

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Anybody remember Tab, Coke's first "diet" drink? She'd make ice cream floats with it. No wonder she didn't lose any weight. Bwaaahahahahaha. 

I still drink Tab! Love the Tab ice cream floats..lol! 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 1

Tom Jones, now, that might be fun to reread. 

Trust me, it's not :)

The protagonist in the history-mystery I'm now writing is an 1850s Tom Jones, only female (my book starts off: CONTAINING AS MUCH OF THE BIRTH AND SUBSEQUENT UPBRINGING OF OUR HEROINE AS IS NECESSARY TO ACQUAINT THE READER WITH THE BEGINNING OF THIS CHRONICLE) and, before I even finished writing Chapter One, I read Fielding's epic. Or tried to. I swear, it's (almost) easier to read Chaucer!

Like Mr. Toothbrush, Mr. Author got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

We both shuddered at Alex's Scots accent!  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Trust me, it's not :)

The protagonist in the history-mystery I'm now writing is an 1850s Tom Jones, only female (my book starts off: CONTAINING AS MUCH OF THE BIRTH AND SUBSEQUENT UPBRINGING OF OUR HEROINE AS IS NECESSARY TO ACQUAINT THE READER WITH THE BEGINNING OF THIS CHRONICLE) and, before I even finished writing Chapter One, I read Fielding's epic. Or tried to. I swear, it's (almost) easier to read Chaucer!

Like Mr. Toothbrush, Mr. Author got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

We both shuddered at Alex's Scots accent!  

I liked it back in college, when I was much more resistant to old novels. I liked Chaucer too, but I suspect both were due to the crude humor.

• Love 1

I had no clue for FJ, but when the middle contestant revealed her answer ("cerebral"), I thought "Of course!!". Imagine my surprise when it was wrong.

My vote for who Nan reminds me of is Mariette Hartley.

• Love 8

For FJ, I first thought of Egghead.  Then I counted only 7 letters.

Then I thought of cerebral which is 8 letters.  That's what I would have answered and I would have been pretty confident.

Oh, well.

• Love 4

The word phrenology made highbrow an instaget for me.  

I missed yesterday due to coverage of a local political debate for an election I'm not in the jurisdiction for, so that was annoying.  It's so tantalizing to see the answers you all had, and wonder if I would have gotten them.  I'm not waiting for the JBoard to post the clues so I can read them.

• Love 1

I said brainiac for FJ.  Highbrow makes so much more sense.  Nan got lucky to win this one.

I did get a bunch of TS, though, including undergraduate, thunderbird*, Waylon Jennings, Margo Martindale, World Health Organization, and choir invisible.  He is an ex-parrot!

*Clearly none of these people have seen Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them!

• Love 3

The only TS I got was Margo Martindale.

1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

I had cerebral as well. Stupid FJ question, IMO.

Or lowbrow?

My guess was longhair. I knew that wasn't right -- nothing to do with phrenology -- but I felt I was close, that it was a compound word. Well, I get no points for that.

• Love 1

I was rooting for Rob, but am not disappointed that Nan was able to pull out the win.

TS I got were Shawn Johnson, Waylon Jennings, Margo Martindale

I said egghead for FJ (despite only 7 letters) & Dr. Toothbrush said cerebral. 

• Love 2

Darn baseball!  I have to stay up until midnight to see Jeopardy!  Screws up my entire evening.  ?

Congrats to Nan again.  Rod was good looking.  Yes, I'm shallow.

The only TS I got was Margo Martindale.

I was really pleased with myself on my game play, shouting out a great many of the answers before the contestants answered, until it came to FJ.  Egghead is too short, lumphead sounds stupid...hmmm...I guess I'm not highbrow enough.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did get a bunch of TS, though, including undergraduate, thunderbird*, Waylon Jennings, Margo Martindale, World Health Organization, and choir invisible.  He is an ex-parrot!

*Clearly none of these people have seen Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them!

I was very annoyed with the thunderbird question, because it references "Native American lore" as if all the Native American peoples are one and share a single culture, mythology or folklore. There are many many different Native American peoples who have many different beliefs and it's offensive to treat them as a monolithic culture.  I would like to think Jeopardy! was better than that.

• Love 6

I *love* Louise Penny's books. Count me as another recommendation. I discovered her through an article in the AARP magazine about women mystery writers.  I tried, but I just can't get into Tess Gerritsen and I'm quickly tiring of Paretsky.  And I swear, Evanovich farms out her books & just takes credit for writing them.

• Love 1

I'm not crazy about Nan but she's okay. She was lucky last night.  I didn't notice any flirtiness between her and Alex in last night's show.

Only two ts's for me, Margo Martindale and WHO, which surprised me as a ts - I thought it was pretty obvious.

Not an instaget FJ, but I ran my hands over my head and highbrow came to me. I was pleased I figured it out since my FJ gets haven't been too plentiful lately.

• Love 3

I'm enjoying Nan's wryness. She made me laugh last night when her FJ answer was revealed and she ruefully acknowledged that it was nine letters (supposed to be eight) and then the side-eye when everyone got it wrong and she managed to win. She cracks me up.

For some reason, FJ was almost an instaget. Thought about it for a second or two and just came up with it. Funny how that happens sometimes.

We need a whole Monty Python category.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I'm so glad that Margo Martindale was not a TS for so many of you.  I think she is just amazing in everything she does - I loved her before Justified but that did it for me.  Her Emmy acceptance speech for that still remains the best I ever heard, the gist of which was "when good things come late in life you appreciate them more."  She needs to be back on my TV soon...

She's also fantastic in The Americans.  She's a recurring character.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Jesse said:

My mother got FJ instantly, and I would never have gotten it in a million years.

I wonder if there is a generational difference, like the word has fallen out of use. My parents used to refer to things as highbrow but I don't think I've ever heard a young person use it. I got it in about 4 seconds and when Alex said it wasn't an easy FJ, I thought, really? That's only happened to me once before! And I usually do well on FJ, much better than the rest of J! Partly because there is more time to think and partly because I have learned to never overthink FJ.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I'm so glad that Margo Martindale was not a TS for so many of you.  I think she is just amazing in everything she does - I loved her before Justified but that did it for me.  Her Emmy acceptance speech for that still remains the best I ever heard, the gist of which was "when good things come late in life you appreciate them more."  She needs to be back on my TV soon...

Have you read "A Conversation With Ann Dowd and Margo Martindale"?

• Love 3