Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, dear. If you don't know of Mike Douglas, this is all you need to know (keep your insulin pen handy):

Ugh...I'd forgotten about this song. That being said, I liked Mike Douglas as a talk show host better than Merv (that may have been because Merv was insulting to cousin of mine who was on the show - minor singer, no one would know him).

33 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It's tricky, imo. I'll always remember when my dad (from Poland, though in the US since the '50s) didn't know who Babe Ruth was. My brothers and I were shocked, which naturally hurt my dad and made him angry. I try not to condemn people for not knowing something I know, but some things just seem like they're common knowledge. Of course that's subjective. But where do you draw the line? A person (I'm talking American) should know who the current US President is, but should s/he know who the VP is? The Speaker of the House? A person should know how many States in the US, but what about each capitol? It gets much trickier with pop culture, esp since our society has fractured quite a lot into specific interests. We don't have as many group cultural moments as we used to. We're much more separated than we used to be.

I think the thing with Brando is that he's significant in the history of film and theatre. His acting method was different than what people were used to. But the years pass, tastes change, and those who didn't grow up with him or with the recent memory of his heyday might as well be asked about Rudolph Valentino.

I think our natural inclination is to think people we respect (or think of as smart - as Jeopardy contestants have to be) have the same general knowledge we do - and that is, of course, very wrong.  Heck, just today I was referring to a Fogarty song (released in 2004), that my husband (a musician) hadn't heard of. It's been played in our house and in the car multiple times over the years, but he never paid attention.

But you know....I could answer a question about Rudolf Valentino...(grin). 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I liked Mike Douglas as a talk show host better than Merv

My Mom loved Mike Douglas - his show was on weekdays in the late afternoon, so I'd see it after school every day back in the 60s and 70s.

• Love 4

Douglas' show was out of Philadelphia, too. He'd have a celebrity co-host for an entire week. I remember Bob Newhart singing (the totally now-politically incorrect) "Darktown Strutters' Ball" at the end of the show every day he co-hosted. He can't sing.  Sounds stupid, but it was funny. Funny in the same way Letterman would beat a bit to death and then continue to do it for another six months. You knew it was coming, but you couldn't look away.

"I'll be down to get you in a taxi, honey. You'd better be ready about half-past eight..." (that's as far as he'd get in the song before he'd give up.)

• Love 1

In a sec...

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Douglas' show was out of Philadelphia, too. He'd have a celebrity co-host for an entire week. I remember Bob Newhart singing (the totally now-politically incorrect) "Darktown Strutters' Ball" at the end of the show every day he co-hosted. He can't sing.  Sounds stupid, but it was funny. Funny in the same way Letterman would beat a bit to death and then continue to do it for another six months. You knew it was coming, but you couldn't look away.

I don't remember this. I watched in the afternoons when I came home from school. 

OK. Back to Jeopardy...

I hardly recall some of the champs playing this week, but I see that Barton Fink is tonight. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I hardly recall some of the champs playing this week, but I see that Barton Fink is tonight. 

LMAO! That is what we called Buzzy too. I liked him & will be rooting for him tonight & hopefully beyond.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:14 PM, Roaster said:

Upton Sinclair, Sinclair Lewis - I always confuse them, too.

Congrats to Kara but she needs to wager more when she gets the Daily Doubles.

I got FJ, but I thought Quito was a good guess.  Santiago, not so much.

So do I, so I completely flabbergasted myself by getting that one right.

And I debated between La Paz and Lima, but went with Lima.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:54 AM, Ailianna said:

I was looking at the style of the photo, he hair, clothing, and so on, and trying to come up with someone from the 1950s, though I didn't consciously realize that until later.  And I think that that wasn't unreasonable to have some cognitive dissonance on the date in the clue versus the photo.

I'd have to see the photo again, but I thought it was of Brando from around the time of the Godfather, just not in costume.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:02 PM, Roaster said:

The lineups for all five days next week (Tournament of Champions) are up at

https://www.jeopardy.com/tournaments/2017/tournament-of-champions

I suppose Seth Wilson and Austin Rogers (12 wins each) are the favorites but I don't see them being overwhelmingly strong favorites, and it would not surprise me if a dark horse emerges to win.

Andrew Pau maybe?  (He's older than recent TOC champs.)  I like Pranjal but he did not display broad knowledge during his run.  Hunter Appler?

I won't be home Wednesday, and since that's Austin's quarterfinal, I won't bother taping it.

I think Justin may be the one I root for, but really, anyone but Austin or Buzzy would be fine.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:06 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

So is Monday (Buzzy - puke!) and Tuesday (Lilly - ugh).

Too bad I'm addicted to Jeopardy! or I wouldn't watch.  For some strange and unknown reason, our Fox affiliate has stopped running Daytime Jeopardy! reruns and now there's just one rerun on the CW channel on Saturday evening.  WTH?!

I didn't care for Lilly, but I'd rather see her win than Austin.  Might even rather see Buzzy, but that's a toss-up.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I found the board rather easy for a ToC

It was moderately easy.  I like the TOC because the players all know what they are doing.  There arent any goofy mistakes or squirrely behavior.  Just the game.  

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

There arent any goofy mistakes or squirrely behavior.

Except by Buzzy when he was introduced and also when he won.  I'd forgotten how annoying he is.  I didn't give the game my full attention, but I did get the TS of Silver Bullet Band and Ford Fusion, both of which were surprising to me.

FJ seemed obvious enough to me that I second-guessed myself.

4 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Does anyone know why everyone was wearing blue ribbons on their lapels tonight?  Even Alex was wearing one

They're in honor of Cindy Stowell and represent colon cancer.

• Love 6

I had no clue for FJ and I'm the worst at FJ wager strategy, but I don't get why Pranjal would bet assuming Buzzy wouldn’t get it right.

Speaking of the Buzzhead, I was glad he didn't get any of the DDs for which he was hunting and, even though he ultimately won, there was this: 

Buzzy.jpg

• Love 8

Buzzy did better than I expected and made a big wager for FJ.

Pranjal (who I like) made a smaller wager but looks to be in a good position for a wild card.  But you can't know in advance the minimum wild card to get to the next round, and that minimum went up from 2014 (when Julia advanced with only $9100) to 2015 (when you needed $14,000 to advance as a wild card.)

• Love 1

Ugh - Buzzy.  It was the Battle of Board Jumping and Buzzer Flailing.  I thought it was a dumbed down game.

I got The Silver Bullet Band, Melody Makers (so much for the "music executive"), Prague, Ford Fusion, Square Pegs, and Edgar Allan Poe.

FJ was a very easy instaget.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Except by Buzzy when he was introduced and also when he won.  I'd forgotten how annoying he is.  I didn't give the game my full attention, but I did get the TS of Silver Bullet Band and Ford Fusion, both of which were surprising to me.

FJ seemed obvious enough to me that I second-guessed myself.

They're in honor of Cindy Stowell and represent colon cancer.

Thank you for letting me know about the ribbons, that is a really nice gesture

1 hour ago, dcalley said:

Two TS's I got: Navratilova's city of birth and Square Pegs. I was happy someone got Remote Control. I loved that show!

For colon cancer awareness in memory of Cindy Stowell. https://www.cancerresearch.org/blog/october-2017/cindy-stowell-jeopardy-champion-colon-cancer

Thanks for the link, really nice of Jeopardy to do this

• Love 3

Very surprised none of them knew the Celestine prophecy, being champs and all... there again, I'm always surprised when I know an answer and none of the contestants do - it doesn't happen very often! (happens most often when there are questions on Canada. LOL)

LOVE the blue ribbons in tribute to Cindy. Very admirable, Jeopardy!

• Love 7

Still bugs me when the contestants jump all over the board.......................................................... it turns into pinball J!

It

would

be

someone

posting

here

this

except

with

the

mords

all

wixed

up!

• Love 12

I'm glad Buzzy won, but could have done without the histrionics before and after the game. I don't remember him being annoying during his original run, so either he has been Austin Rogers-ized or I was too distracted by his impeccably tailored suits to notice. And I really hate that we don't get the full-length shot after the game any longer.

TS I got were Silver Bullet Band (& I loathe Bob Seeger's music), Prague, Square Pegs, Poe, Celestine Prophecy. FJ was an instaget, and too easy for a FJ, especially during the ToC.

Pranjal buying a 1991 car & it being older than he is made me want to weep. 

Loved when Alex mentioned the jumping around when the first DD was found. 

Kudos to whomever called that the FJ dividers are now automated. I noticed them retracting after the FJ answers were revealed. 

• Love 7

TS I got were Mammoth Cave, Prague, Ford Fusion, Hittite & Celestine. Also said 1812 Overture for FJ.

Poor Hunter, his buzzer flailing was excessive but one could tell he was frustrated by Buzzy beating him to the buzzer. Once he lost his DD in the Double Jeopardy round, it was all over for him. 

• Love 5

As soon as I saw the category for FJ, I called it. Ask the cats. I said it out loud - they heard me.

When Buzzy said, "What is obnoxious," I shouted, "And who better to know??!?!?"  I think I was on my Road Trip when he lost the first time; I was just reading over my journal and it says, "The annoying guy on Jeopardy! lost!"  Of course, it might have been one of any number of annoying guys, but I'm pretty sure it was Buzzy.

• Love 8

Surprised no one got the Silver Bullet band. How many of you think it's going to come down to Buzzy vs Austin? I hope not....who to root for?  I don't like either one of them. 

Edited by lurk3000
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

As soon as I saw the category for FJ, I called it. Ask the cats. I said it out loud - they heard me.

When Buzzy said, "What is obnoxious," I shouted, "And who better to know??!?!?"  I think I was on my Road Trip when he lost the first time; I was just reading over my journal and it says, "The annoying guy on Jeopardy! lost!"  Of course, it might have been one of any number of annoying guys, but I'm pretty sure it was Buzzy.

I love that you write about Jeopardy in your journal.

I'm surprised that Alex didn't mention that the blue ribbons being worn were in Cindy's memory. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

had no clue for FJ and I'm the worst at FJ wager strategy, but I don't get why Pranjal would bet assuming Buzzy wouldn’t get it right.

His bet had nothing to do with Buzzy, he was betting on securing himself a slot in the SF whether he got it right or wrong because their are slots for the highest scores in addition to the winner.

'm surprised that Alex didn't mention that the blue ribbons being worn were in Cindy's memory. 

Me too. For some reason our recordings always start late so I assumed he mentioned it at the top of the show. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

TS I got were Mammoth Cave, Prague, Ford Fusion, Hittite & Celestine. Also said 1812 Overture for FJ.

Poor Hunter, his buzzer flailing was excessive but one could tell he was frustrated by Buzzy beating him to the buzzer. Once he lost his DD in the Double Jeopardy round, it was all over for him. 

Got those too. I was surprised at some of them. 

Yeah, I remember the 1812 Overture listening to it on Independence Day wondering why a Russian composer would include "La Marseillaise" in his overture. That's when I looked it up. 

I loved seeing the ribbons for Cindy. 

• Love 5

Yeah, I remember the 1812 Overture listening to it on Independence Day wondering why a Russian composer would include "La Marseillaise" in his overture.

I never understood why Americans play it on Independence Day. It's got nothing to do with us and it commemorates something years after we declared our independence.

• Love 1

I thought Pranjal was betting to try to win (since Buzzy could have wagered $0 for the wildcard) but without harming his wildcard chances more than he had to.  Trying to get into the semi-finals either way.  I'm sure he will probably be in with that score.  Buzzy, on the other hand, was clearly in it to win it.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I never understood why Americans play it on Independence Day. It's got nothing to do with us and it commemorates something years after we declared our independence.

It's a rousing tune, and it has cannon fire in it.  The spirit of it is relevant to Independence Day, if you enjoy celebrating in that fashion.  

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I must have missed the note - as I don't recall ever hearing the 1812 Overture on Independence Day (though in my younger years my ex and I did use it once in retribution for a neighbor who always turned their bass up loud and played crappy music). Of course, I may not have heard it because I avoid fireworks as much as possible. Can't stand them.

5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

For some reason I haven't been nearly as excited about this lineup for the TOC.  Only two women and I couldn't stand Lily before and I don't remember Lisa...

I liked Lily, and I like Buzzy. But I don't much care for Austin. I don't remember many of the contestants. I didn't remember Pranjal or Hunter, and watching them didn't trigger any memories.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Ugh - Buzzy.  It was the Battle of Board Jumping and Buzzer Flailing.  I thought it was a dumbed down game.

Yes, YES and yes.

Super. 2 weeks of board jumpers (probably)

10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Loved when Alex mentioned the jumping around when the first DD was found. 

Me, too! 

Too bad it fell of deaf ears. For a second, I had hope.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Me too. BTW, did he say why he bought three cars older than he was? Does he consider them vintage?

30 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I must have missed the note - as I don't recall ever hearing the 1812 Overture on Independence Day

I believe the Boston Pops always played that last in their 4th of July concert. Fireworks can be synched with the booms.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I believe the Boston Pops always played that last in their 4th of July concert. Fireworks can be synched with the booms.

You are correct - growing up, I remember watching it, I think PBS broadcast the concert/fireworks every year, and they closed the show with it.

• Love 2

Buzzy played a good game, quick to ring in and gave correct answers. Gutsy FJ wager, too. I think the other two guys were a little frustrated on constantly being bested on the buzzer (I'll resist the temptation to make a buzzer/Buzzy joke).

None of them knowing the Silver Bullet Band made me feel ancient. Night Moves was just released a couple of years ago, right? Right??

I was wondering about the ribbons, then thought of Cindy Stowell. Her presence is missed :(

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I'm glad Buzzy won, but could have done without the histrionics before and after the game. I don't remember him being annoying during his original run, so either he has been Austin Rogers-ized or I was too distracted by his impeccably tailored suits to notice. And I really hate that we don't get the full-length shot after the game any longer.

Did anyone ever discover why this change was made?

• Love 3

Two TS's I got: Navratilova's city of birth and Square Pegs. I was happy someone got Remote Control. I loved that show!

I was sad Square Pegs was a TS! I loved that show. 

I got Mammoth Cave because we were just there a few weeks ago 

How did they not know Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet band??

One of my favorite websites is Jalopnik, and they have a feature called "nice price or crack pipe?" Wonder how Pranjal's car compares to this one

https://jalopnik.com/at-2-400-could-this-1996-mazda-mx5-miata-be-the-answe-1820176418

• Love 1

Oh Pranchal, what the hell were you thinking?  And Hunter, William bloody Blake, for goodness sakes!  Have you never watched Bull Durham?  Argh!!!

16 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got The Silver Bullet Band, Melody Makers (so much for the "music executive"), Prague, Ford Fusion, Square Pegs, and Edgar Allan Poe.

FJ was a very easy instaget.

I missed Edgar Allan Poe, despite having watched a program about him on MPT last week; in my defense, I did miss the first 15-20 minutes of it, so I didn't see the mention of Tamerlane.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

You are correct - growing up, I remember watching it, I think PBS broadcast the concert/fireworks every year, and they closed the show with it.

I was in London for the 50th anniversary of VE Day.  I went to see the fireworks in Hyde Park with some friends from the Boston area, and they started humming the 1812 Overture.  I'd never watched the Boston Pops 4th of July concert so they had to explain it to me.

• Love 5

I'm disappointed that there are only two women in the TOC. Fortunately I'm the other viewer who liked Lilly.

Once I got the 1812 Overture running through my head, complete with cannons and church bells.  By the time I could get it unstuck I had a terrible headache.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

What was that pointing to the sky thing that Alex and buzzy did?  Was that supposed to mean something? I don't mind Buzzy too much except for a grown man still having such a silly nickname...

For some reason I haven't been nearly as excited about this lineup for the TOC.  Only two women and I couldn't stand Lily before and I don't remember Lisa...

I think it's called dabbing, and was a craze a couple of years back. I mainly remember NFL players doing it when they scored, or made a good play. And then-pre-teen oldest mini-TB used to do it too. 

I barely remember Lily, but do remember Lisa as being annoying. 

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Me too. BTW, did he say why he bought three cars older than he was? Does he consider them vintage?

He didn't say, but no doubt he considers them vintage. Dr. Toothbrush bought a new 1997 Chevy Impala when he turned 30. Twenty years later, he still loves it, and no matter where he goes, people of all ages strike up conversations about it, offer to buy it, etc. Mostly men, so not to be sexist, but maybe it's a guy thing? He has a dollar amount in mind & promises he will sell when someone offers that amount but I am not holding my breath. He loves that gas guzzling, low to the ground, rough riding land barge to pieces! 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Well, that explains it. Never watched the Boston Pops. 

Funny about the cars, back when they were new, I didn't think they were that great. To each his own.

• Love 1

Funny, for Navratilova's city of birth, I said Moscow, then a contestant said "What is Moscow?" That was wrong, so I said Kiev, then another contestant said, "What is Kiev?" I led them astray.

Although I got Poe correct, for a second I wondered if it was actually Blake who wrote Tamerlane... and then Blake comes up in a DD. 

• Love 5