Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Driad said:

Fortunately I'm the other viewer who liked Lilly.

No, I am adopting Lilly and Pranjal as my fantasy Jeopardy niece and nephew.  (Unfortunately I don't think either has much of a chance in this field.)

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Yikes!  No FJ here in Columbus!  FJ category was announced, then commercials until the show credits rolled.  Quel screw-up!  

What the.... that's wild! Too bad, it was pretty interesting.

First, Alex explained how much money everyone gets in the tournament. Then the clue:

South of the Tropic of Capricorn, this kingdom is the world's southernmost landlocked country.

Lilly had $12,800 bet $800: What is Bhutan?

Tim had $14,000 bet $2500: What is Myanmar?

Jason had $18,800 bet $4200: What is Lesotho? ------>Correct!

How did Lilly and Tim pick countries in Asia for something southernmost??? Savvy betting though, they could be contenders for wild card spots. I thought today's game was tougher than yesterday's, and some good DD wagers.

• Love 3

Tim, Tim, Tim.  Myanmar is not only not in the southern hemisphere, it is far from landlocked.  Bhutan is so very wrong as well, but at least it is landlocked.  Perhaps they got their Tropics confused?  That said, I knew it had to be somewhere in Africa, but couldn't come up with anything.  Much tougher FJ than last night!

I did get a couple of TS, though -- sugar maple, purple, and Mozart.  Sugar maple as a TS surprised me, too.

• Love 4

Sugar maple WAS surprising!  There was another surprising TS but I can’t remember it now.

I liked that guy on the end.  Lilly drives me absolutely bonkers you damn board-hopper and the other guy put me to sleep.

Seriously.  If all the DD’s are gone, start at the top like orderly people.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Seriously.  If all the DD’s are gone, start at the top like orderly people.

No kidding.  Other than the board-hopping, it wasn't a bad game.  Lilly wasn't nearly as annoying this time around -- maybe because she didn't have to wear her college sweatshirt with the sleeves pushed up.

• Love 6

I didn't know FJ, but it made sense once I thought about it.  Its entirely surrounded by South Africa

I found out I have been pronouncing it wrong though.  I thought it was Le-so-though. 

Myanmar?  That's about the worse answer I can think of for the category. 

I got Mozart just because 1790 and opera, seemed right to pick him. 

Possible all 3 of them could advance with those scores. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Dr. Toothbrush bought a new 1997 Chevy Impala when he turned 30. Twenty years later, he still loves it, and no matter where he goes, people of all ages strike up conversations about it, offer to buy it, etc.

Is it possible it's a '96?  If so, prices are pretty good on them - he may be on to something!  I googled to see what the '97 looks like and found nothing. Wikipedia shows no Impala production from '96 through 2000.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Impala

"The Chevrolet Impala /ʃɛvrəˈleɪ ɪmˈpælə, -ˈpɑːlə/) is a full-size car built by Chevrolet for model years 1958-85, 1994-96, and since 2000 onwards."

I have a personal soft spot for the older Impalas.  My first car was a 1960 aqua blue Impala convertible with white top...wish I still had it to this day!

130738-500-0.jpg

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I wouldn't get FJ! if a gun was held to my head.  I don't think I've ever heard of that country.

The only reason I've ever even heard the name is because of the Parade of Nations at the Olympics.

I absolutely could not have located it on the map before today.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Not only is Jason a cutie patootie but he organized the ribbon wearing in honor of Cindy. Team Jason all the way!

Team Jason here, too.

Much more difficult game tonight.

I got sugar maple, purple, Bismarck, and Egypt.

I was clueless for FJ.  I knew it had to be in Africa, though, so I was closer than Tim or Lilly.

• Love 9

I got Lesotho, which is a miracle, because I'm horrible at geography.  I think the word "kingdom" made me confident it was the right answer.

That was lovely of Jason to organize the ribbon tribute.  I figured the show had done it.

I thought Tim's self-description of "Float like a butterfly, sting like a butterfly" was very funny.

• Love 12

I got Lesotho! The only question for me was whether it was Lesotho or Swaziland - I sometimes get those two mixed up on a map.

Also got purple (Nexium colour).

Last time Tim was on, I kept trying to think of who he reminded me of with no luck. However, it took me all of two seconds to place him at the beginning of this game! I was glad to have finally figured that out.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I wouldn't get FJ! if a gun was held to my head.  I don't think I've ever heard of that country.

I said Lesotho but was trying to figure out why I was wrong (since I usually don't do well on geography clues in general and especially FJ geography).  I"m kind of fascinated by Lesotho because it's entirely surrounded by South Africa (yes that's the actual reason), so I was especially delighted to get that one right.  Total guess, but I was at least unable to figure out why it was wrong...

I liked Lilly more this time around too, though board jumping is never a good look on anyone.

• Love 1
Just now, Ailianna said:

I liked Lilly more this time around too, though board jumping is never a good look on anyone.

Anyone who plays by the rules is fine with me.  Choosing any question you want is playing by the rules.  

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Anyone who plays by the rules is fine with me.  Choosing any question you want is playing by the rules.  

Yes, yes, yes!!! Wish I could like this a million times!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did get a couple of TS, though -- sugar maple, purple, and Mozart.  Sugar maple as a TS surprised me, too.

I also got those three (as well as Bismarck), but I said maple. Do you think a BMS would have happened? Is a sugar maple different from a maple?

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I found out I have been pronouncing it wrong though.  I thought it was Le-so-though. 

Yeah, I need to double-check how to pronounce it correctly. Anyway, I did not have a guess for FJ. Once the clue said "kingdom" I didn't even try to think of an answer. I don't know which countries in South America and Africa are kingdoms.

Loved Tim's story about having played a finesse game and the "float like a butterfly, sting like a butterfly" line.

I enjoyed this game more than yesterday's.

• Love 2

Much better game today, IMO. Still don't like board hopping, but that is because of my over 40 brain, and usually a glass of wine has been or is being consumed. 

TS I got were purple & Bismark. I said Bhutan for FJ knowing it was incorrect.

3 hours ago, Tunia said:

Is it possible it's a '96? 

Yes, 96 *face palm* Dr. Toothbrush turned 30 in early 1997 so I was thinking that was the year, but then remembered it was in fact a 1996. I have seen cars like your old one at vintage Impala shows. Yes, I have been dragged to a few. Beautiful car. 

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I also got those three (as well as Bismarck), but I said maple. Do you think a BMS would have happened? Is a sugar maple different from a maple?

The clue specified a 2 word name, and since they were asking for the specific state tree of VT, then yes, I think you would have gotten a BMS. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Much better game today, IMO. Still don't like board hopping, but that is because of my over 40 brain, and usually a glass of wine has been or is being consumed. 

Open Bar Tournament Week would be awesome.

• Love 8

It figures Buzzy would still be dabbing a year after the cool kids stopped doing it.

I agree today's was a much better game. It's amazing how I've lost track of the past contestants. I didn't recognize Tim right away; Pranjal looked like he had either gained weight or grown his hair or that could just be my bad memory. And I had forgotten his freak out about the missed credit! Now I can't stand him again. But oh joy! when I saw Jason. I LOVED him in the teacher's tournament and I hope he wins this one too (unless Austin wins, which I would also celebrate).

I only got one TS - purple - and had no clue on FJ but guessed Bhutan because of "kingdom", although I think it's a sultanate?

Edited by YoureSoUrban
two --> too
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, secnarf said:

I got Lesotho! The only question for me was whether it was Lesotho or Swaziland - I sometimes get those two mixed up on a map.

Those were the two I mix up also. Both landlocked kingdoms around South Africa. I forgot precisely where Swaziland was, but I guessed Lesotho anyway. 

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got sugar maple, purple, Bismarck, and Egypt.

Got those too. I even yelled out "Sink the Bismarck!" 

• Love 3

I only got one TS - purple - and had no clue on FJ but guessed Bhutan because of "kingdom", although I think it's a sultanate?

Bhutan is a kingdom, and IMO the king, queen, & crown prince are the most gorgeous royal family in the world. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjVv_aqva7XAhWEyIMKHWEYBegQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Findia.breakingnow.co%2Foneindia%2Fguess-what-modi-gave-the-young-prince-of-bhutan%2F&psig=AOvVaw1LiIm2YyZPD_Gt4Yfrz-YD&ust=1510212936209029

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

The clue specified a 2 word name, and since they were asking for the specific state tree of VT, then yes, I think you would have gotten a BMS. 

Doh, right, 2-word name. I really need to keep the category name in mind.

8 hours ago, dcalley said:

Ah yes. Much more current.

• Love 3

I didn't get Lesotho, but I was sort of close - I shouted out Malawi. (again, that "countries of the world" quiz on jetpunk helped me enormously.)

"A Capitol Fourth" on PBS always plays 1812, but I don't remember who the orchestra is. I used to go to Piedmont Park in Atlanta for the free ASO concerts and they always played 1812 on Independence Day, too. One year, during "Stars and Stripes Forever," Robert Shaw (by then, an old, old man) turned to face the audience and started doing jumping jacks. I thought for sure he was gonna have a heart attack. You know the part where the piccolos stand up to do the tweety stuff? The cello section tried to stand up, too. Sounds dumb, but it was fun.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Austin is so annoying. Not sure if I can watch tomorrow.  Good game today.

Oh yes......I watched the first game after he lost and was actually bored....sometimes just because I don't know something doesn't mean it's something I'm interested in knowing.  I haven't watched again till monday.  Now he's going to be on AGAIN?  I may give up on the show because I didn't miss it near as much as I thought I would....or maybe just come here again.

• Love 1

I was hoping for question about the trademarked orange hue used by Reese for their peanut butter cups, pieces, and other candies in that line.

I must be in the minority.  I'm looking forward to Austin.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

This all conspires to make me miss Tom Nissley, who managed to look relaxed, confident and affable each time he was introduced. No waves to mom or theatrics.

Not to mention being very easy on the eyes.  And it appears he owns a bookstore these days.  Way to spend your Jeopardy! dough.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

I was hoping for question about the trademarked orange hue used by Reese for their peanut butter cups, pieces, and other candies in that line.

I must be in the minority.  I'm looking forward to Austin.

I'm looking forward to Austin also.  Us cool kids like Austin.  LOL.  ? 

• Love 10

Alan!  Playing like a monster!  Most impresssive showing so far this week.

I was surprised none of them got hackers or Tyco Brahe.

FJ was easy to guess, I thought, and I am not someone who generally knows about 19th Century poets.

• Love 8

Was there laughing gas piped into the studio today?  Alex was acting really goofy and Austin dialed the obnoxiousness up to eleven million.

He was super pissed to be steamrolled.  Awesome.

I don’t want to be spoiled but I am curious about one contestant - did the hot teacher from downstate New York make the tourney?  I’m blanking on his name.

• Love 4

I'm not a fan of Alan, but he is marginally less bad than Austin, so I'm not sad he beat the crap out of Austin.  Oh, and Austin, Alex didn't ask you about your money, you jerk.

I barely paid attention because Austin and Alan, but I did get the TS of Landing, Hammerstein, dugout, and alibi, which was a complete guess.  It was the only thing that made sense, and I'm a little surprised that none of the contestants tried it. 

I probably should have gotten FJ, but I didn't.

• Love 3

I'm amazed that Swaying Alan was almost more obnoxious than Smug Chewbacca.  At least Chewy started at the top - the only nice thought I've ever had about him.  I'm afraid he'll still get in the finals.  What was that weird hand flailing sign language crap Alan was doing before wagering $5 on his DD?  

I got Sasquatch (missed DD) and hackers.

Again, I was clueless for FJ.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

FJ was easy to guess, I thought, and I am not someone who generally knows about 19th Century poets.

I was thinking Longfellow for a bit as his bust in Westminster Abbey was fairly recently in the news, but then realized he wouldn't have been buried there anyway. Besides, "questionable morality"  speaks to Lord Byron. 

Alan was on a roll there. Impressive. 

I was surprised that "Much Ado About Nothing" was a $1200 DD specifically a play title from around 1600 (so likely Shakespeare) saying a big fuss for no reason. That's pretty easy. It's also the only Shakespearean play to fit the category.

As for that last clue about the father and son, I'm not sure whether the intent of the answer "good for nothing" was that "I was good without being paid for it" or "I was a loser at your age." It depends on how you say it. 

7 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Sasquatch (missed DD) and hackers.

Got those both as well. Bigfoot is only 7 letters, not 9. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 2