Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Well, I knew FJ would have to be a small (or narrow) country, but Central America never occurred to me.  I picked Chile.  Oops!  A better choice than Brazil, though.

You don't suppose the judges would have accepted "That motel where MLK was shot" do you?  I could not come up with the name of it for anything.  However, I did get the surprising TS of MIT (particularly surprising after Harvard was eliminated) as well as tang, LSU, Cat Stevens, petals and phototropism.

I can't believe they felt the need to show a photo of Arnold Schwarzenegger. 

• Love 9

I got FJ by saying Mopan out loud a couple of times, which brought me to Belmopan, and thus Belize. So I don't know if I would have gotten it if I was there!

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I understand it was a dress, but I wasn’t so much about the sleeveless top.

I did not get Belize.  I feel like that was either something you knew or you didn’t.

Yeah, I bet she picked it because she looked great in a full length mirror, not thinking about how it looked waist up only. 

Mexico was a surprising TS. I thought it was obvious and I don't even know who the guy is.

Edited by Fex
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I did not get Belize.  I feel like that was either something you knew or you didn’t.

Yeah, I didn't get it either and figured there was hint in the clue that I was completely missing...

1 hour ago, Fex said:

I got FJ by saying Mopan out loud a couple of times, which brought me to Belmopan

... And that's what I was missing. :)

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Well, I knew FJ would have to be a small (or narrow) country, but Central America never occurred to me.  I picked Chile. 

Hey, I picked Chile too! No idea why.

I got several TSs: MIT, The Broad, tang, Toby, Joyce Carol Oates, and petal. Instead of phototrophism, I took a swing at it with heliotropic.

I had no idea Stan was a combo of stalker+fan.

Sorry to see Erica go. She reminded me of Olivia Coleman, particularly when she smiled.

• Love 5

I was rooting for Erica.  Not too thrilled with Anand since he started off picking the second clue and started his interview with the dreaded "so".  I believe Ashley needs to rethink that home schooling thing.

I got MIT, Toby Jug, LSU (missed DD), Cat Stevens (this made me sad he was a TS), and petals.

I figured FJ was in Central America, for some reason, and guessed Costa Rica.

• Love 9

Sorry to see Erica go; I really thought she would stick around for a while. Anand is fine, but I wish he wouldn't jump categories & then start at the 2nd clue. Hate that.

TS I got were MIT, stalker/fan, LSU (missed DD; what's funny is that Anand's guess of Tulane was only 90 miles away, so something clicked about La), Cat Stevens (surprise TS especially since the clue contained the first line of the refrain from & title of his arguably most well-known song); petals. I ran the Movie Sequels & Birthstone categories.  The Contemporaries category was fun & I got all but one of them correct.

The Arnold S. clue would have been easy enough without a picture. Between that and the first few clues in the Authors category I was wondering if some clues meant for the Teen or College Tournament made it onto the board. But then there was FJ that made Dr. Toothbrush & I look blankly at each other. My parents are going to Belize over Thanksgiving, but they are going to Belize City, which I actually thought was the capital. I really suck at geography.

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I understand it was a dress, but I wasn’t so much about the sleeveless top.

Agree on all counts. It looked like a really cute dress. I hate that we no longer get to check out everyone's outfits at the end of the show. 

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Sorry to see Erica go. She reminded me of Olivia Coleman, particularly when she smiled.

Definitely a resemblance. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5

I was sad that no one knew Spirited Away -- one of my favorite movies ever! 

Same here! It was such a great story and beautiful anime, I was bummed no one knew it.

The only other TS I got that day was North Carolina, but the next day got a bunch: MIT, lit (I cannot believe Rae Sremmurd was a Jeopardy! clue!), stalker and fan, Richard Wright & Cat Stevens (super bummed no one knew either of those) and Mexico.

I had no clue on FJ though because I didn't know the capital of Belize before now. #jeopardyknowledgeispower

I liked both Erica and Anand so I didn't mind Anand winning. I don't love not starting at the tops of categories but he seems to really enjoy playing.

• Love 5

Never heard of the Mopan river, but I did know Belmopan, so I guessed Belize. 

It was a solid bet on Anand's part.. He correctly guessed that she was going to bet to protect against him going all in and getting it right. Then you can wager up to the value of the difference between your current total and her new total minus at least a dollar. Even if you're wrong, you still win and you can try to get the most money while protecting the victory. Of course, that's contingent on her being wrong and behaving as you predicted she would. Well, nobody wants to be that person who is in the lead going into FJ, gets it correct, and loses because they failed to bet enough, so it is a very sound strategy. 

7 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

The only other TS I got that day was North Carolina, but the next day got a bunch: MIT, lit (I cannot believe Rae Sremmurd was a Jeopardy! clue!), stalker and fan, Richard Wright & Cat Stevens (super bummed no one knew either of those) and Mexico.

Didn't know Stan, but knew Cat Stevens, Richard Wright., and M.I.T. I couldn't believe Rae Sremmurd was a clue either, but i got it. I first thought of their hit Black Beatles for a second, but then realized it made no sense and went with lit. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, Browncoat said:

I didn't get FJ, but I should have!  Cayce first led my meandering brain to K.C. and the Sunshine Band, then Kasey Kasem, and then time ran out before I could get to Casey Jones, who had better watch his speed. 

My train-loving father (and former Pennsylvania RR employee) would have haunted me if I'd missed that one.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:55 AM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Ah, the musician James Joint and the well-known Canadian raccoon. I liked how Alex repeated the rodent part of the clue, rather than the Canada part. If you associate one animal with Canada... And maybe it says more about me that I got Blunt right and laughed so heartily at the guess Joint.

Interestingly enough, though, it's not the drug reference that's edited from the radio-friendly version of You're Beautiful; it's the word "fucking", as in "flying high" instead of "fucking high".

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, PaulaO said:

I ran the Protestant category.  Thank goodness for being brought up Baptist.  I was fearful Mary Grace might  win.  Talk about annoying.  I don't care for Nan, but I think she should have gotten credit for Scotland.  After all, the category was something to do with countries.  FJ! was an instaget, and how can you not fill in the blank Archbishop of _______?

Nope, it's the Scottish Symphony, not the Scotland Symphony.  No credit due.

• Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:01 AM, peeayebee said:

Well, I guess none of us was clueless. Har dee har har.

The only TS I got was North Carolina. 

For the life of me I couldn't remember Spirited Away. ARGH!

I know one animated Japanese film.  Fortunately it's Spirited Away, so I ran the dragon category.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, Fex said:

I got FJ by saying Mopan out loud a couple of times, which brought me to Belmopan, and thus Belize. So I don't know if I would have gotten it if I was there!

I once did a report in middle school about British Honduras, as it was then called.  The capital was Belize City at the time, but I guess I still have some fondness for Belize, and was well-familiar with Belmopan.  (In theory, not from ever being there.)

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:02 AM, Toothbrush said:

My parents are going to Belize over Thanksgiving, but they are going to Belize City, which I actually thought was the capital. I really suck at geography.

It used to be.

• Love 2

Watership Down?  Really?  There is a boat in it, I guess.  I did like the other guy's guess of The Ballad of Captain Crunch, though.  It made me laugh.  Unfortunately, I drew a complete blank for FJ. 

I kind of liked Morgan's miniature donkey story, but her vocal fry while she was telling it was killing me. 

TS and missed DD I got include glutton, antepenultimate (just from knowing penultimate and knowing that the answer needed to start with ant-), Warren Zevon, Ahab's leg, shirtdress, Tulsa, and Fort Wayne.  Made me sad that no one knew Warren Zevon and Werewolves of London.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Watership Down?  Really?  There is a boat in it, I guess.  I did like the other guy's guess of The Ballad of Captain Crunch, though.  It made me laugh.  Unfortunately, I drew a complete blank for FJ. 

I kind of liked Morgan's miniature donkey story, but her vocal fry while she was telling it was killing me. 

TS and missed DD I got include glutton, antepenultimate (just from knowing penultimate and knowing that the answer needed to start with ant-), Warren Zevon, Ahab's leg, shirtdress, Tulsa, and Fort Wayne.  Made me sad that no one knew Warren Zevon and Werewolves of London.

i don't tend to think of submarines as ships so it didn't occur to me either. 

As for Morgan: I know she got it wrong, but Anand already had more than double your score. She should have bet to bring yourself into that margin. Besides, revenge is just a dumb guess. Eye. Tongue, Finger, Revenge? Guess a body part. 

Got Colorado Springs, glutton, embouchure, Tulsa, Fort Wayne, Never heard of a shirtdress.   

Just to echo everyone else here, shame on them for not knowing Warren Zevon. His last name begins with Z and "Werewolves of London" is not obscure. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 5

I've heard of Warren Zevon but had no clue. Shame on me, I guess.

I got a bunch of TS's but didn't write them down. FJ was an instaget for me. Was Anand slow-playing at the end? He couldn't have been since he was far ahead, but he took a while choosing those last few clues. I liked Megan and now also want a miniature donkey.  They're adorable.

• Love 1

I got Warren Zevon, but I thought the photo looked like Mel Gibson from Braveheart.

I also got leg, ear (a guess), and shirtdress.

In the Captain category, I was wondering if Captain Morgan would come up.

I had no guess for FJ. Just drew a blank.

• Love 4

I said shirtwaist. There was a photo of WZ? I missed that. And I've got almost a shrine to him in every room of the condo except my bathroom.  Speaking of which, that's where I was during the contestant interviews and part of the second half of single J! 

• Love 1

I really liked Charles, and being a Cubs fan and his cute FJ answer just made him better. I don't mind Anand, but he sure is low energy. Not that we need another Austin, but somewhere in the middle is nice. Morgan would have gotten old really quickly had she won. 

I didn't get Captain Kidd, but I did have a laugh and an eye roll at Captain Blackbeard. 

TS I got were glutton, Warren Zevon (first Cat Stevens is a TS Friday, and now Warren Zevon), shirtdress, embouchure, Tulsa

FJ was an incorrect instaget. I said 30,000 Leagues Under the Sea. 

Baby wolverines sure are adorable!

22 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There was a photo of WZ? I missed that. 

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I got Warren Zevon, but I thought the photo looked like Mel Gibson from Braveheart.

I also got leg, ear (a guess), and shirtdress.

In the Captain category, I was wondering if Captain Morgan would come up.

I had no guess for FJ. Just drew a blank.

The picture was of Rob Zombie, and I agree that it looked like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, lurk3000 said:

How can no one know the late great Warren Zevon?!

I wasn't paying attention so missed the werewolf and thought of Liberace for good haired pianist. I just never equate Zevon with the word pianist because I view him as a singer songwriter who was beyond one instrument. Like even though it's accurate I would never describe Elton John as a pianist. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, secnarf said:

What was the clue for embouchure?? I missed it.

It was a picture of a woman playing a flute (I think) and the clue was something like "From the French word for mouth, this word refers to the way a player applies the mouth to a brass or wind instrument." 

I thought Morgan's donkey story was cute. It put me in mind of the "World's Smallest Horse" episode of Newhart. (Available on YouTube). But she did seem to be another of those contestants trying too hard to be zany and quirky. Had she won, we would have been debating her personality here, with half crying, "Ugh, get off my screen!" and the other half saying, "She's fun, not boring like most of the contestants."

• Love 3

I knew FJ though the year through me off.  I didn't realize 20000 Leagues was that old, I thought it was more late 19th/early 20th century rather than 1870. 

Also knew Ft Wayne, and some others.  Being a native Hoosier when I saw the category I wondered what the 2nd biggest city in Indiana was, figured it was Ft Wayne but thought it might be South Bend.  Really not a lot of choices besides Indianapolis.  Pretty much those two. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I've never read Watership Down, and didn't know the story has a submarine in it, so I thought it was really stupid. But since the Nautilus is a submarine, I think I can see how she might have connected it that way.

9 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Wonder if they'd have allowed "shirtwaist"?

It has the same number of letters, so I think so.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought Morgan's donkey story was cute. It put me in mind of the "World's Smallest Horse" episode of Newhart. (Available on YouTube). 

Me, I thought of the horse in Parks & Rec. :)

• Love 2

I did like the other guy's guess of The Ballad of Captain Crunch, though.  It made me laugh.  Unfortunately, I drew a complete blank for FJ. 

I laughed also.  Me too for FJ  - grr. Nemo.  So obvious now. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I wasn't paying attention so missed the werewolf and thought of Liberace for good haired pianist. I just never equate Zevon with the word pianist because I view him as a singer songwriter who was beyond one instrument. Like even though it's accurate I would never describe Elton John as a pianist. 

The category was all words beginning with Z. If you were half-watching the show I can see missing it. I can't believe none of the contestants knew a musician whose name starts with Z and who sang a song about werewolves.

• Love 6

Love the video with the TOC contestants.  I remember them all and have a special fondness for Buzzy.  He's so affable, although I know some don't care for him.  She does the tournament start?

• Love 1

Warren Zevon! That was unforgivable. I was happy to see Morgan go - she just seemed too smitten with her own adorableness. For FJ, I kept thinking they wanted the name of the ship in the title. I hate when I persistently misread a clue for 30 seconds.

• Love 4

I was a bit disappointed, yet not surprised, that the 4-H clue was an outdated representation. 4-H has a wide variety of activities today, including STEM outreach, science fairs, robotics, and citizenship. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

FJ was an incorrect instaget. I said 30,000 Leagues Under the Sea. 

DOH! For the clue about [blank] Ronin -- which night I can't remember -- I said nine.

The picture was of Rob Zombie, and I agree that it looked like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. 

DOH for me! Yes, Zombie, not Zevon.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Moose135 said:

She was, but her donkey story scared me a little.

Before she named the animal, I was scared it was going to be an exotic one, so I was relieved it was just a donkey, though I am not sure what to think about miniature ones.

I'm glad so many people here know Warren Zevon. Enjoy every sandwich!

ETA: I meant to also say that the dark blue ribbons the TOC contestants are wearing in the video are for colon cancer in memory of Cindy Stowell.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
22 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I've never read Watership Down, and didn't know the story has a submarine in it, so I thought it was really stupid. But since the Nautilus is a submarine, I think I can see how she might have connected it that way.

I think DrScottie was referring to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  Watership Down, which I've also never read but was a favorite of one of my best friends in grade school--is about rabbits.  I'm pretty sure there are no ships whatsoever in it, and very sure there are no submarines.  

I was proud of this instaget ("no one" did it for me, then I checked with Nautilus), and it almost took away the pain that no one knew Cat Stevens.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 4

Sad that no one got To Sir With Love. Great movie, beautiful song. It gets stuck in my head easily though, so I will be singing it all night!

Ocean's 11 was way too easy for a $2000 clue.

• Love 8

I had high hopes for middle guy tonight.  Oh well. 

FJ was an instaget for me.  Maybe the clue writers think that Eastman and Kodak film are before everyone's time.

I also got Dean, post hoc, and To Sir With Love, and am sad that that one was a TS.  There may have been others, but I have trick-or-treaters!

• Love 4