Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got FJ because there was a clue (in fact, I think it was an FJ) not that long ago regarding Daniel Day Lewis and his role as Lincoln.

I think the clue was about someone who had received Oscar nominations for playing multiple presidents, and Daniel Day Lewis was guessed but incorrect (if it is the clue I am thinking of).

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got FJ because there was a clue (in fact, I think it was an FJ) not that long ago regarding Daniel Day Lewis and his role as Lincoln.

I thought the same thing when I saw it tonight.  I never would have gotten it otherwise.

• Love 1

I wasn't paying complete attention during the game, so can someone explain the category Zero Sum Game or whatever it was?

TSs I got were alias and oyster, as well as the DD of Mean Streets. The only reason I got oyster was because of the movie Amelia. I loved when one man enjoyed eating the oyster of the chicken. I'd never heard of that before, and ever since I love to dig out the oyster from a roasted chicken. Anyway, I took a leap and assumed that cows can have oysters too!

FJ was easy peasy.

• Love 1

Yay Tom! I was cheering for him the entire game. 

I only got two of the many TS: Buick and Copeland. That Zero Sum category was tough for me because you basically had to come up with 2 answers (the "sum" word and its synonym) in the time you usually get for one. I didn't understand why "apex" was wrong for "summit". Did I miss part of the category description? 

FJ was an instaget - finally!

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Yay Tom! I was cheering for him the entire game. 

I only got two of the many TS: Buick and Copeland. That Zero Sum category was tough for me because you basically had to come up with 2 answers (the "sum" word and its synonym) in the time you usually get for one. I didn't understand why "apex" was wrong for "summit". Did I miss part of the category description? 

FJ was an instaget - finally!

The clue for the summit one said it was a 6 letter word.

I found that Zero Sum category extremely difficult, too. And again, it might have helped if they started at the top of the category!

• Love 7

I wasn't paying complete attention during the game, so can someone explain the category Zero Sum Game or whatever it was?

Each clue had two answers, and you had to pick the one that didn't have "sum" in it -- "spring" instead of "summer," "subpoena" instead of "summons," "zenith" instead of "summit," and whatever those other two were.

• Love 7

Terrible game. Too many TS & too much jumping around which, as has been noted, probably caused a few incorrect answers. At least I liked all 3 contestants. 

TS I got were Fenway, alias, police (Alex said cop; not sure if police would have been accepted since it seemed to be part of a quote), Copland, spring. I knew the 6 letter non-sum synonym of summit started with a z, but could not come up with 'zenith' to save my life. 

FJ was an instaget, and I also remember a recent somewhat related FJ clue also. 

4 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

This game shows the advantage of starting at the top of the category. They didn't seem to expect that "The Chandler" would be Raymond. (Of, course, we never did see the top clue.)

I think it would have helped in Sweet '16 also. They did not seem to realize that '16 referred to a year, unless they just weren't up on French history. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LadyintheLoop said:

Each clue had two answers, and you had to pick the one that didn't have "sum" in it -- "spring" instead of "summer," "subpoena" instead of "summons," "zenith" instead of "summit," and whatever those other two were.

The other two:  One was about a college degree with honors (or distinction--can't remember) , so "magna cum laude," since it couldn't be "summa cum laude."  And the other was to name a member of the Police.  It had to be Stewart Copeland, because the other two members have "sum" in their names--Gordon Sumner (Sting) and Andy Summers.  That one was so clever it made me laugh out loud.

• Love 6

Although I watched some of The Electric Company reruns as a kid and remember some of the songs, "hey you guys!" brings The Goonies to mind first, even though I know Sloth was just quoting the show.

4 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

Speaking of French pronunciation, Justin got away with one today. He left the first N sound out of L'Enfant.

That's a common pronunciation in the DC area.

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I thought of the same clue, but looking it up, he was the wrong answer everyone guessed! I wonder if that gave a writer the idea to make a clue about DDL.

Cage-free should have been flat-out wrong with no "be more specific" help. I'm not sure about pre-brined, either. It's either brined or not. There's not really a pre-brine.

• Love 5

Add me to yesterday's FJ of cloning, but I had Daniel Day Lewis (be still my heart) before Alex finished reading the clue. In my office, above my computer screen, I have a yuuuuge poster of Daniel Day in The Last of the Mohicans, which I use for inspiration when I write...along with a stuffed vulture I've named Michael (.the name of my first editor).

• Love 5

One was about a college degree with honors (or distinction--can't remember) , so "magna cum laude," since it couldn't be "summa cum laude."

And it specified three words so it couldn't be "cum laude."

People say LaFont? Okay.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

I am terrible at award show categories, but I did actually get FJ today! Figured the president had to be Lincoln.

Daniel Day Lewis wasn't even on my radar - possibly because he disappears into his roles. I guessed Anthony Hopkins, thinking "Nixon."

10 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

Even though I missed most of the "sum" clues - I was yelling "spring, you guys, spring!" It's not like it could be winter or fall, even if you didn't know that the official date of season change is later in June.

• Love 3

People say LaFont? Okay.

Yes!  That's how we say L'Enfant Plaza in DC!  The game that filmed after mine, there was a question about L'Enfant Plaza and couldn't understand that's what Alex meant because he pronounced it wrong. 

• Love 3

I've been pleased with the contestants lately. Even when they board-hop, it hasn't really bothered me. Maybe I'm mellowing out...

My TS gets were Fenway, Buick, alias, Austria-Hungary, the Mean Streets DD, and Spencer. I just showed Lincoln to one of my classes a couple of weeks ago, so DDL was fresh in my mind, which made FJ an instaget for me.

• Love 2

I am not mellowing out!  The board hopping just about did me in.

Agreed that cage-free and free-range are not the same thing.  Most poultry is technically raised cage-free, they're just inside in big, long buildings, but they aren't free-range.

I got Fenway, alias, Spenser, Copeland and Spring.

FJ was an instaget, even though I haven't actually seen Lincoln.

• Love 2

Less board-hopping and more board-clearing.  Nice game.  Tom didn't really act like he wanted to be there -- he seemed a bit tired, with the sighing and taking his time to choose a clue.  And Marie Antoinette?  Not British, Tom!  I didn't get FJ, either, but at least I knew it wasn't Marie Antoinette!

Glad they asked for a BMS for Medgar Evers' wife. 

TS I remember getting were France (or French), Book Of Mormon, and children.

• Love 6

Tom did seem tired.*  He did immediately shake Tim's hand and even hugged Kathleen before Alex managed to wander over to the contestants.  

I got France and The Crown.

For FJ I immediately answered Mary, Queen of Scots.  I hope that the judges would have accepted that, since that is what she was commonly called.

* I wonder if sometimes contestants have been sitting in the audience all day, get to play their game, and the adrenaline rush combined with tiredness, causes an implosion.

45 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I somewhat disagree.  It's not like he had more than one wife.  All I could think of was, "Uh, oh.  Kit Carson!"

• Love 7

Of course the crazy buzzer stabber wins.

I agree; Tom looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on Jeopardy! today. And I had such high hopes for him...

The only TS I remember are risotto and The Crown. I had no clue on FJ.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 2

I broke my ankle the same way that alliterative Kathleen broke hers' -falling down the stairs. No alcohol was involved; I am just that clumsy. We sold that house and have lived in 1 stories houses ever since. 

TS I got were risotto, French forces, The Crown, Book of Mormon, McMurtry, children

With all the Tom Lehrer talk the past few days, I found it amusing that there was a periodic table category today. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

OMGosh yes! Nice try, Tom. 

I got risotto and French. I said hologram instead of holography, and I think the judges would have accepted that, since they tend to accept answers that are actually the wrong part of speech.

For the category about 10-hr work day where the answer was children, I said miners because I couldn't think of anything else. Of course I meant people who work in mines, but I wonder how the judges would have reacted since I could have been saying minors.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

For FJ I immediately answered Mary, Queen of Scots.  I hope that the judges would have accepted that, since that is what she was commonly called.

That's a different Mary than Mary I of England. Mary I of England (Catholic, burned Protestants-->"Bloody Mary") died a natural death. Elizabeth (her half-sister, Protestant) became queen and ordered Mary (Catholic, a cousin) Stuart's death.

I laughed at the idea of mercury being put on cuts and scrapes. Don't do that!

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 7

Is your station WBZ in Boston? They show Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune early Saturday morning during football season.

Thank you, this would be fine if I could stay up that late or had a recording device.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were risotto, French forces, The Crown, Book of Mormon, McMurtry, children

With all the Tom Lehrer talk the past few days, I found it amusing that there was a periodic table category today. 

I got most of those too, but I wondered if they would have accepted pilaf instead of risotto.

I laughed at the idea of mercury being put on cuts and scrapes. Don't do that!

I think the person who said it (I forget who) had mercurochrome in mind. It used to be a standard product in medicine cabinets, although according to this article, it's been phased out for safety reasons.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I got most of those too, but I wondered if they would have accepted pilaf instead of risotto.

I think the person who said it (I forget who) had mercurochrome in mind. It used to be a standard product in medicine cabinets, although according to this article, it's been phased out for safety reasons.

Is pilaf made by stirring in stock? I've never made pilaf (or risotto for that matter,  but I  got risotto because I know the stock thing is a big part of the method (watch way too many cooking shows). 

Ah, mercurochrome. Stung like blazes. 

• Love 3

Pilaf is cooked (baked I think) in stock, but it is not constantly being stirred in like in a risotto. It probably would have been accepted, and Alex would have said that the writers were going for risotto but will accept pilaf. Or not. Jeopardy judging is nothing if not inconsistent. 

• Love 6

Quote: "Glad they asked for a BMS for Medgar Evers' wife." Actually, the answer was about Medgar's wife, didn't mention Evers. So I yelled "MRS. EVERS!" at my teevee. Then I went on a deja vu trip ala Kit Carson. I also thought about mercurochrome for that (wrong) answer. My mom always gave me a choice between "red medicine" (mercurochrome) and "green medicine" (Bactine) when I got a cut. I always chose green. But I do have a bottle of red in my medicine cabinet, and I use it frequently now that I am (almost) an adult.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Huh, thanks, I hadn't heard of that! From 2004, it says, "Few under age 30 have ever heard of this stuff." I was under 30 then. This image is about iodine, but I'm using it anyway!

OyEz4hg.gif

• Love 5

Funny that although I never saw Book of Mormon, that's what came to mind when those song titles (I think) came up. However, I wasn't confident enuf to say it. Earlier that day I read something that mentioned Book of Mormon, and I wondered if it was something that popped up in the clue. Who knows how my mind works. Or not.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:40 AM, Mondrianyone said:

The other two:  One was about a college degree with honors (or distinction--can't remember) , so "magna cum laude," since it couldn't be "summa cum laude."  And the other was to name a member of the Police.  It had to be Stewart Copeland, because the other two members have "sum" in their names--Gordon Sumner (Sting) and Andy Summers.  That one was so clever it made me laugh out loud.

I should've gotten that one, having been a huge Police fan back in the day, but I got hung up on whether Andy's name was spelled "Summers" or "Sommers".  Ay, Chihuahua!

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

Mary Tudor was queen of England and married the man who became Philip II of Spain.  Mary Stuart was known as the Queen of Scots, and had been married as a teenager to the Dauphin of France and was queen consort of France during her husband's very brief reign as king.

• Love 1

I had seen a commercial this afternoon showing the Play the Joker category, so I brushed up on my Jokers.

And I still yelled out Will Arnett instead of Zach Galifinackis :(

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

The category History with Sound Effects might possibly be the stupidest thing I've ever seen/heard in my life. Boo, hiss.

I totally didn't get the point, and assumed I was just being dense.

On a shallow note, Marcus had cheekbones to die for.

• Love 8

I have yet to hear anyone who isn't Scottish (or at least British) manage a decent Scottish accent (sorry, Jimmy Doohan!), and today was no exception. 

I also hated the sound effects category.  Absolutely pointless.

TS I managed to come up with included Shawnee, albatross, cowcatcher, kiwi, San Francisco, and Lady Vols.  I was shouting "kiwi" at my TV -- too bad Nan couldn't hear me.  And since I live not too far from Knoxville, TN, I'd have to move if I didn't know the Lady Vols!

But apparently I had mental flatulence for FJ -- totally blanked on the name.

• Love 3

I’m disappointed in you Marcus.  You were all that stood between me and Nan of the annoying pretend Scottish accent.  

She lost me at that point and never got me back because she’s noisy. 

Oh well.  Baseball starts at 7:30 tomorrow so I don’t know when I’ll be able to watch again this week.

• Love 5

Congrats to Nan.  First time in forever that the person I was rooting for won.  Kathleen's buzzer mashing was driving me nuts.

My Safeway delivery guy was 45 minutes early and showed up during DJ, so I missed a bunch of it.  However, the delivery dude is in his early 20's  and confessed he tapes Jeopardy! and binge watches on his days off.  

I got Pat Garrett (I guess Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid was before their time), kiwi (missed DD), and San Francisco Bay.

My excuse for missing FJ was that I was signing for my grocery order.  The real reason is, I didn't know it.  I didn't realize that novel was set off the coast of South America.  I need to go back and reread some classics.

• Love 7

I had such high hopes for Marcus! he certainly deserved better than 3rd place. Very glad the buzzer stabber is gone. 

My only TS were Nietzsche and Lady Vols.

I didn't realize that novel was set off the coast of South America.  I need to go back and reread some classics.

Neither did I. I actually need to catch up on some classics so my novel reading I alternate between a "modern" and a classic. Still can't get through Catch-22 though -- too many character names but I did remember Yossarian so I got that clue!

• Love 3