Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Poor Mary Grace, bless her heart.  But I'm sure she's real nice [/Gomer Pyle].

I didn't get FJ, but I should have!  Cayce first led my meandering brain to K.C. and the Sunshine Band, then Kasey Kasem, and then time ran out before I could get to Casey Jones, who had better watch his speed. 

Some awfully boneheaded guesses, and surprising TS -- like when Nan said Scotland and no one else was able to get Scottish, and when no one was able to even take a guess at Thousand Islands.  I had no idea on that one, but it seemed like a good guess.  I also got nightingale, FM, Pindar (which I suppose isn't really a TS now), Archbishop of Canterbury, and spruce.

• Love 6

*dead*  You've summed it up perfectly!

I think the only TS I got should have been gotten with an educated guess: nightingale, FM and Thousand Island. I had no clue on FJ.

Now that you guys called out the Nan-Alex flirtation, it's totally distracting me. Only Mary Grace shook me out of it. Since Alex isn't going anywhere anytime soon, I'm going to need Nan to lose.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't get FJ, but I should have!  Cayce first led my meandering brain to K.C. and the Sunshine Band, then Kasey Kasem, and then time ran out before I could get to Casey Jones, who had better watch his speed. 

Some awfully boneheaded guesses, and surprising TS -- like when Nan said Scotland and no one else was able to get Scottish, and when no one was able to even take a guess at Thousand Islands.  I had no idea on that one, but it seemed like a good guess.  I also got nightingale, FM, Pindar (which I suppose isn't really a TS now), Archbishop of Canterbury, and spruce.

Mary Grace made a pretty good comeback after being in the red for so long, so I can't really feel too bad for her. I was glad Nan got the points back for Pindaros, which is his actual Greek name. 

My mind went to Colonel Sanders for FJ, so I was trying to think of a concise way to describe his profession. Cook? Entrepreneur? Fried chicken guy?

• Love 2

I'm sad they didn't get through the Canadian category - I did get all the clues that they showed, but not sure if I would have got harder ones. I'm also kind of surprised that she missed the stereotypical beaver = Canada clue.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Ha!

She must be Louis Virtel's cousin, right? She said someone else Virtel, and that three of the cousins had been on J!  He is one of my favorite past contestants. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Poor Mary Grace, bless her heart.

I know.  After about the second answer I asked the hubby, "How did she get on this show?"  She reminded me of a ditzy student I once had, or a Cecily Strong character on SNL.  Hey, there's an idea.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I was glad Nan got the points back for Pindaros, which is his actual Greek name. 

I thought she was saying Pinderest, like conflating it with Pinterest.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But I'm sure she's real nice [/Gomer Pyle].

Hee. I can see and hear that in my head.

I got Pindar and the Rockies, as well as the DD's of nightingale and beaver.

I didn't really get FJ. My first thought was Casey at the Bat, but that didn't seem right. Then I thought that maybe the name of the city wasn't where the person got his name, but rather that the town bestowed a nickname on him. So I thought about Johnny Appleseed, but the question was asking for the job, so that didn't make sense. And then I thought, "Oh! OH! OH! It's... it's ... that guy. What did he do? Something to do with trains."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

She must be Louis Virtel's cousin, right? She said someone else Virtel, and that three of the cousins had been on J!  He is one of my favorite past contestants. 

Right you are!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't really get FJ. My first thought was Casey at the Bat, but that didn't seem right.

That was my first thought, too, and I also knew it couldn't be right.  I did come up with the answer before it was revealed, but not in the time the contestants had.

I said Archbishop of Canterbury as a joke guess, not at all believing it to be right, so I laughed at Nan's joke guess of "Archbishop ... of ... the world," and was stunned to find out my "I have no idea so I'll say something stupid" answer turned out to be right.

Alex did a nice job concealing his disgust at how bad they did in the category about Canadian national parks.  Not even a snarky comment. 

• Love 6

Mary Grace looked like a deer in the headlights, but had a relatively good comeback. 

I got all 3 missed DD (nightingale, Archbishop of Canterbury, beaver), plus Scottish & FM. Ran the Jelly Belly Flavors & Fairytales (where we had to ID a cat wearing boots from an etching <rolls eyes> ) categories.

I got FJ once I thought it through, but my mind also went to Casey at the bat & KC & the Sunshine Band first. Think I would have had time to write the correct response down. It was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush who was particularly amused at my KC & the Sunshine Band guess. He is kicking my butt in FJ lately. Boo hiss.   

• Love 6

Yay, Nan!

I got Scottish, FM, Archbishop of Canterbury (wild ass guess), Rockies, and beaver.

For FJ I, too, thought Casey at Bat and baseball player for his job.  Once I got that goofy answer stuck in my brain I couldn't think of anything else.

• Love 4

I got stuck on Scottish. For some reason, I thought they wanted the number of the symphony and I knew it wasn't #4 - that's his Italian Symphony, so I sort of guessed #3 - which it is, but it turns out that wasn't what they were looking for. I need to pay better attention to the categories.

I, too, loved that "Archbishop of .... the world" response. She's so good natured & willing to laugh at herself.

• Love 4

Ah, the musician James Joint and the well-known Canadian raccoon. I liked how Alex repeated the rodent part of the clue, rather than the Canada part. If you associate one animal with Canada... And maybe it says more about me that I got Blunt right and laughed so heartily at the guess Joint.

Mary got off to a rocky start but I thought she redeemed herself minus the raccoon guess. Still, Nan definitely deserved that win.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I know I'm going to hell, but I couldn't stop thinking of SNL's Mary Katherine Gallagher...

• Love 6

I ran the Protestant category.  Thank goodness for being brought up Baptist.  I was fearful Mary Grace might  win.  Talk about annoying.  I don't care for Nan, but I think she should have gotten credit for Scotland.  After all, the category was something to do with countries.  FJ! was an instaget, and how can you not fill in the blank Archbishop of _______?

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Ah, the musician James Joint and the well-known Canadian raccoon. I liked how Alex repeated the rodent part of the clue, rather than the Canada part. If you associate one animal with Canada...

The clue also specified it was a rodent, which raccoons are not.

• Love 7

The clue also specified it was a rodent, which raccoons are not.

Raccoons aren't rodents? How about Kit Raccoon? :)

No? Then how about a Canadian squirrel?

Toothbrush, I usually kick Mr. Author's butt in FJ (he's an Aussie), but this time he got Casey Jones immediately if not sooner.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, secnarf said:

I'm sad they didn't get through the Canadian category - I did get all the clues that they showed, but not sure if I would have got harder ones. I'm also kind of surprised that she missed the stereotypical beaver = Canada clue.

That was so disappointing. I wanted to see those!

Haven't had Jelly Bellys in years, but Buttered Popcorn is my favourite. It's so weird... but in a good way.

I felt like Mary Grace was actually guessing a lot of the time. But she pulled herself out of the red, so colour me impressed.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Made me laugh:)

I got a few ts's last night: nightingale, Pindar, Beaver and Thousand Islands. I wish they had finished the Canadian National Parks category.

Did not get FJ but I thought it was a very good clue.  My first thought was Edgar Cayce but he seemed a little obscure for Jeopardy! Plus, Cayce was his real name, not a nicknaame, so I moved on, thinking Cayce = KC but still came up with nothing.  Casey at the Bat and Casey Jones never even crossed my mind even though I am familiar with both.  So, while I thought furiously all through the think music, my thoughts were totally on the wrong track.

• Love 4

OMG! Could FJ been any easier?!!!  Meanwhile, I'm screaming at my set "State! STATE!" when not 1, but 2 contestants said "The Wright Brothers" and the third didn't even try to answer (granted, I was saying "Ohio" when the answer was "North Carolina", but at least I had a STATE). 

• Love 13

When he read the answer I said “if the question to that is ‘Clue’ I am going to punch the TV because that is stupendously easy” so I guess I’m going to Best Buy tomorrow.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 15

Sorry to see Nan go, but Erica seems okay.  It kind of cracked me up when all three of them would basically yell "AARRGGHH!" when they got an answer wrong and realised they'd been a doofus.  Even Alex commented on how vocal they were.

I got 1990's, and North Carolina.  I didn't realise there was a new state in the union - Wright.

I have never played the game and am only vaguely aware of it and even I got FJ as an instaget.

• Love 10

I like Erica, but hope she is less reactionary when she doesn't have Nan to play off of.

TS I got were 1990s, Chinese, Emerson, NC (smh at Wright), Rodney (thank you 1776). Ran the Ruined Rumors & Lip Synch Battle categories.

FJ was a kids' tournament caliber clue. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

FJ was a kids' tournament caliber clue. 

I overthought it and pondered Scotland Yard for a few seconds, then realized that the new Sherlock Holmes game was Clue. I remember having a VHS tape of Clue back in the mid 80s. I remember that because we were watching it when Hurricane Gloria hit. I don't think we ever got around to finishing it.

1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were 1990s, Chinese, Emerson, NC (smh at Wright), Rodney (thank you 1776). Ran the Ruined Rumors & Lip Synch Battle categories.

First Gulf War? I guess people forgot about it. Got the others, but Ohio prides itself on "First in Flight" as the Wright brothers built their first plane in Dayton. Of course, they took off at Kitty Hawk on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I debated between the two, but picked NC. I was debating between Hugo and the Nebula Awards too. 

Poker Olympics?! Seriously? 

• Love 2

I work for a rail union and didn't get it.  Grr.

I may have yelled out Goblet of Fire in a really loud voice when that DD happened.  

CLUE???? CLUE???? They aren't even trying. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Ohio prides itself on "First in Flight" as the Wright brothers built their first plane in Dayton. Of course, they took off at Kitty Hawk on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I debated between the two, but picked NC. I

I'm from Ohio and I remember when the quarter designs came out and Ohio was royally pissed when North Carolina put the Wright Brothers  and "First Flight"on their coin (the quarters came out in the order the states ratifies the Constitution), so NC got to go first. Ohio countered with the slogan "Birthplace of Aviation Pioneers", saw NC with a picture of the Wright Brother's plane and raised them with a picture of Neil Armstrong in a space suit. Take that, Tar Heels!

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 8

Oh my god pick it up Phil!

I yelled YAY when he was down to $1000 for FJ. He seems like a nice gent, but jeptestants who read the whole freaking clue, preceded by a "I'll take...*pause*...the girl with the dragon, uh, weights and measures, tattoo, please" really bug me.  

• Love 4
On 10/25/2017 at 1:09 PM, dcalley said:

Thank you for that. It was fascinating. I'm embarrassed to say I often get them confused - but only on paper. If I see a picture I know exactly who they are.

On 10/25/2017 at 5:04 PM, Browncoat said:

Some awfully boneheaded guesses, and surprising TS -- like when Nan said Scotland and no one else was able to get Scottish, and when no one was able to even take a guess at Thousand Islands. 

We looked at each other and said "Oh, that's where the salad dressing gets its name!" Now, where's the original Hidden Valley Ranch??

On 10/25/2017 at 6:14 PM, Conotocarious said:

I like Nan. “What is the Archbishop of.......the world”.

Yeah, I only got to Archbishop too... I should have gotten it, goodness knows I've read and watched enough concerning those two churches.

20 hours ago, Fex said:

Haven't had Jelly Bellys in years, but Buttered Popcorn is my favourite. It's so weird... but in a good way.

I can't stand it, and yet I like the non-jelly bean flavors of kettle corn and Cracker Jacks. Go figure.

16 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I thought maybe they wanted the original British name, Cluedo, which would've made things a little more challenging than not at all, which is what it was.  But apparently not.

I bet they'd have accepted both. But dang, that was the easiest question ever.

• Love 2

Good gravy re: FJ last night.  Maybe the writers thought people would not say Clue because it was the obvious choice?  I can't think of anything else it could possibly be, so not sure why anyone wouldn't go for the obvious choice.

I was sad that no one knew Spirited Away -- one of my favorite movies ever!  I also may or may not have yelled "Goblet of Fire!" and "North Carolina!  The state, not the people!" at my TV.  Other TS I got were 1990s, Emerson, and the surprising TS of Mauna Kea -- if it isn't Mauna Loa (which is active and erupting), it's Mauna Kea.  OTOH, I do a lot of crossword puzzles, and never know which Mauna they're looking for. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Is it wrong that I love when the contestants fail badly at the Canada categories? It annoys Alex so much which delights me!

The contestants often do quite well at Canadian categories anymore - not last night, but sometimes they do.  They didn't even used to put up Canadian categories and I am pleased that they do so now. 

My only ts last night was the Battle of Lake Erie.

When they announced the FJ category I said Clue and was sure that's what it was going to be.  It is an older game than I thought - thought it didn't come out until about the 1960's.

I prefer the new champ to Nan.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Is it wrong that I love when the contestants fail badly at the Canada categories? It annoys Alex so much which delights me!

Well, the way I see it, all it does is offer support to the stereotype that Americans - even "smart" ones - are too self-absorbed to be bothered with anything that happens outside of their borders.

I still can't get over the three teachers not being able to identify a photo of the then-current prime minister of Canada. That's not funny, that's mortifying. Thankfully that's not the norm (I think!) but clues like that really don't make anybody look good.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 2
Just now, secnarf said:

Well, the way I see it, all it does is offer support to the stereotype that Americans - even "smart" ones - are too self-absorbed to be bothered with anything that happens outside of their borders.

It's something specific to Canada, since many contestants have no problem running through categories about other countries.

• Love 3