Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Was Austin playing cautiously or did he just get beaten to the buzzer by the other two players? Can't tell when the buzzer hand is hidden. At least Austin isn't a crazy buzzer-waving-hand person, so I'll give him that plus. It's the only plus I can think of about that douche. I missed Buzzy's day on TOC and, frankly, don't remember him from the season. I wish Austin had played a few months ago as my brain tends to erase bad things. Now it will take me months to get him out of my memory bank.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I suck at Vice President categories, but Hannibal Hamlin is one of the few I actually know.  Don't know who his president was, though; Lincoln, maybe?

Yes, his first term VP. Got replaced by Andrew Johnson for the second term. 

• Love 1

So disappointed that Andrew lost so much on his DJ DD & then bet so little on FJ. He is in my top 3 in the ToC, and I really wanted to see him in the finals. 

The only TS I got was Top of the World. I had no idea that there was a VP Hamlin, but that was my answer based on the story.

19 hours ago, DrScottie said:

What annoyed me was responding "Uh huh" to AT when asked if he got "Hamlin" and again with respect to his wager. Normally people don't verbally respond to it and let their answer speak for itself. Of course, Austin isn't your normal type of player either. 

That was annoying and immature. My kids know better. Also the I'm so bored I'm falling asleep schtick at the beginning? Grow up! 

19 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

One thing I like about Austin is he knows better than most when not to buzz in. So while the others hit some and miss some, he is really good about knowing what he doesn’t know. It sure paid off for him tonight and even in his quarterfinal game. 

I agree. It's one thing when another contestant eliminates your "it's one or the other" answer, but the shots in the dark annoy me. 

5 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I do find Austin somewhat annoying but I like his gameplay. He's not a board-jumper, and I like that he starts at the top to figure out what they are going for with the clues. I know board-jumping is legal and all that, but it seems like bad gameplay to me unless time is running out. You hop in the middle and get a DD without having a sense of the category, especially those ones that are puns or putting words together (I HATE those). 

IIRC he learned the hard way during his regular games, but then again I could be wrong about that. 

• Love 2

I know many probably hated it but I got a kick out of his virtual around the world trip.   

Once again I must confess that Austin's round-the-world trip is something I'd love to do, so, despite the age difference, Austin and I are kindred spirits.

Mr. Author said Austin wouldn't have enough $$ to buy the car and go round the world. I reminded Mr. Author that Austin had won over $300,000!

Ok, I think it’s a little harsh to say Austin was only lucky. He played a strong first round tonight and didn’t get any of the daily doubles to pad his score. It’s certainly not his fault the others screwed up

THIS!

As for "I survived Austin" shirts, I'm selling GO AUSTIN! tees.

One thing I know. I wouldn't want to be on J! and have this forum comment on my physicality and my ticks... I tend to cup my chin while thinking or twist my hair. In fact, my hair is curly so some might nickname me Medusa or Gorgon ("I won't watch Jeopardy! until Medusa is gone!" "Gorgon hummed to the music, what a douchebag").

I was in a production of the Pied Piper, so Hamlin was easy, although, like others, I didn't know the veep's first name (or, actually, when the veep was a veep).

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

One thing I know. I wouldn't want to be on J! and have this forum comment on my physicality and my ticks... I tend to cup my chin while thinking or twist my hair. In fact, my hair is curly so some might nickname me Medusa or Gorgon ("I won't watch Jeopardy! until Medusa is gone!" "Gorgon hummed to the music, what a douchebag").

Hee. But of course since we already know you, we wouldn't say such things. However, OTHER message boards where you are not known could nitpick you to death.

If I were on the show, people would say how boring my little interview story was and that it's sad that was the best I could come up with. As far as my gameplay, the comments would either be that I looked like a deer in the headlights or that I must know someone on the show because there's no way I'd become a contestant because of my knowledge base.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Hee. But of course since we already know you, we wouldn't say such things. However, OTHER message boards where you are not known could nitpick you to death.

If I were on the show, people would say how boring my little interview story was and that it's sad that was the best I could come up with. As far as my gameplay, the comments would either be that I looked like a deer in the headlights or that I must know someone on the show because there's no way I'd become a contestant because of my knowledge base.

I start a lot of stories with "so." I'd be vilified by this board if I were ever on the show!

They should put me on the show since I'd tick lots of boxes: gay, black, female, lefty, military vet, former sports writer, teacher, atheist, grad student, the list goes on. Oh, and I have great stories Alex would quickly ruin with his awkwardness. 

• Love 17

I thought this game was super hard! I felt like I didn't know anything.

However, I said Waiting for Godot instantly for FJ, even though I've never seen or read it, and I didn't think I knew anything about it. There must be some knowledge about it buried deep in my brain! I don't even know which part of the clue made me say it.

• Love 4

Yeah, every time I get annoyed  a contestant, I picture how I would be.  It's not a pretty picture.  The only contestant in recent times who ever really bothered me was Arthur Chu.  He was just so intense!  I couldn't enjoy the game.  I realized that none of the contestants in the game of champions bothers me because, unlike regular games, it's a finite time - no chance of them being on for weeks on end so I can let their foibles slide.  I also thought today's game was kind of hard and I could not for the life of me come up with Waiting for Godot and I knew it would be a "doh" moment for me.  It was.  I did feel sorry for Lisa,  you could tell she was upset.

• Love 4

Yeah, the ripping apart of every move a contestant makes is enough to make me not want to even audition. If I were competing for money on national television, I would be nervous, and look it. It requires incredible self-control to just "not do" a nervous tic in front of millions of viewers, under mental pressure.

• Love 8

I was so irked at Trebek when he opened the show by saying, "Of course Austin won yesterday." WTH? That was no "of course" win. His two competitors (or "victims" as Austin calls them) bet the farm on DDs and missed. If they had answered correctly, it would be bye bye Trebek's golden boy. I watched Buzzy closely today to see his quirks, and while his opening shot was some Austin asshatery, he made up for it by wearing Cindy's blue ribbon AND a boutonniere AND apologizing to Trebek for speaking over him when he called for a clue while Trebek was still babbling on. I actually shouted YEAY! at the end when he got FJ. Buzzy does have the jerky buzzer hand so we could all see when he was trying to buzz in and got beat. I forgive him though. Did any other contestants wear Cindy's ribbon or just today's three?

• Love 8

Poor Jason. And poor me for having to endure another 2 days of Buzzy.

I only got 2 TS: McCloud (my parents LOVED ABC's Sunday Night Mystery) and tense.

I didn't feel sorry for Lisa. First she slumped and pouted, then she was almost hyperventilating, then she was on the brink of tears. I get that she really really wanted to win but no game in the world should take that much of a toll on your psyche, and making the TOC and walking away with 10 grand ain't losing in my book.

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, AuntieL said:

I also thought today's game was kind of hard and I could not for the life of me come up with Waiting for Godot and I knew it would be a "doh" moment for me.  It was.  I did feel sorry for Lisa,  you could tell she was upset.

I did too. I couldn't come up with it either. . 

14 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

You could see the moment when she just gave up.

As for Lisa, she never had an opportunity to get going. Nonetheless, knowing how close her opponents were and that they would bet nearly everything against each other, the best move for a spoiler is to bet nothing. Jason was wrong and if Buzzy were also wrong, she would have been in. She might have tanked it knowing she was out of her depth. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 4

I don’t actively dislike anyone on jeopardy although I do find most of the contestants pretty boring. I’ve been pretty happy with the ToC contestants though. I was sorry to see Jason lose and I felt very badly for Lisa, who just completely fell apart. You could see her having a breakdown. It was too bad because she’s a very good player.

I don’t dislike Buzzy either although he has a fitting name given how he manhandles his poor buzzer. But all three of them seemed to lose it with their buzzers tonight.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Did any other contestants wear Cindy's ribbon or just today's three?

They have been wearing them for the whole tournament. I think in the second game, they talked a bit about it with the contestant who organized it (I can't remember who it was).

• Love 6

I'll take Who Looked Like a Total Douche and Why for $2,000, Alex - Who is Buzzy for patting himself on the back when he won?

"Austin won it, of course" and Buzzy as "Mr. Personality".  STFU, Alex. 

Wow, Lisa really imploded.  Bye, Jason, I'll miss you.

I got McCloud, Snowy River, plus fours, Jay Rockefeller, Whitefish, and Ruth (missed DD).

Once again I was clueless for FJ.

• Love 14

My nitpick for today: "Aww...", "Umm... ", Unh..."

I swear, all three of them were doing this before choosing their category of choice, and sometimes before answering. It's an unintentional stalling mechanism - to fill the void of silence.

It's a habit a lot of people have - and I'm no saint - however, a few Toastmasters sessions and a person learns to just zip it instead of filling the space with those sounds.

When I start to notice it, it magnifies. It was really loud today!

Other than the aws, ums, and unhs, I enjoyed the game... found it tougher than usual, and felt sympathy for Lisa.

Buzzy earned the win (I was secretly hoping Jason would take it... guess it isn't a secret anymore).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'll never be on the show (I'm happy to be a couch observer); however, if I was, they'd have to do a lot of editing and Alex would get out the duct tape. I tend to swear at times after I blurt out the wrong answer. Nothing obscene, but let's just say I don't watch J! when my grandkids are visiting.

• Love 5

To me there is a big difference between having involuntary tics and acting like an attention-grabbing infant who must have the camera on you at ALL TIMES.

I try to be nice when it’s something that can’t be controlled.  When you are being obnoxious for no reason?  All bets are off.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'll take Who Looked Like a Total Douche and Why for $2,000, Alex - Who is Buzzy for patting himself on the back when he won?

"Austin won it, of course" and Buzzy as "Mr. Personality".  STFU, Alex. 

Wow, Lisa really imploded.  Bye, Jason, I'll miss you.

Now we'll see who can be the bigger douche.  I'll laugh my ass off if Tim (I'd rather watch paint dry) can make it to the end.  

Jason, a class act.  

• Love 7

I, too, was surprised Lisa bet it all on FJ when Jason and Buzzy would be duking it out with big bets (supposedly). If they both tanked, then she would be the winner with two grand. I also noticed all the "ah, uh, um" time killers. On occasion here, we've accused the leader of doing that to stall the game so no one else can get the clues. Sort of like playing keep-away in basketball. Today it made me think the contestants didn't know the categories or even where the board was. Why haven't I seen the blue ribbons on anyone before today? Except for last week when Jason told everyone what they were for. I only see the blue ribbons when Jason is playing. Selective vision, maybe?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Why haven't I seen the blue ribbons on anyone before today? Except for last week when Jason told everyone what they were for. I only see the blue ribbons when Jason is playing. Selective vision, maybe?

Maybe...they have been wearing them in each game. The ribbons are dark and can blend in if a contestant is wearing darker colours.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, mojoween said:

To me there is a big difference between having involuntary tics and acting like an attention-grabbing infant who must have the camera on you at ALL TIMES.

I try to be nice when it’s something that can’t be controlled.  When you are being obnoxious for no reason?  All bets are off.

Definitely! I'm referring more to folks who are like "so and so sways back and forth, I want to kill them" :-P

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

ECSTATIC that Lisa spontaneously combusted!

Why would another person's obvious distress fill you with joy?  

51 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Lisa did seem like she was almost having a panic attack.

I felt so sorry for her.  Poor thing, to care so much.  

• Love 10

Not that it mattered in the end, but I couldn't understand why Jason kept selecting $200 clues when the second DD was there. I kept yelling at him to pick that $400 bliblical widows clue. He didn't get FJ, so it doesn't matter. Speaking of that last DD,  why did Buzzy bet $2000 when he had a $2800 lead? I didn't understand Jason's FJ wager either. Maybe there's a reason I play from home. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I was so irked at Trebek when he opened the show by saying, "Of course Austin won yesterday." WTH? That was no "of course" win. His two competitors (or "victims" as Austin calls them) bet the farm on DDs and missed. If they had answered correctly, it would be bye bye Trebek's golden boy. I watched Buzzy closely today to see his quirks, and while his opening shot was some Austin asshatery, he made up for it by wearing Cindy's blue ribbon AND a boutonniere AND apologizing to Trebek for speaking over him when he called for a clue while Trebek was still babbling on. I actually shouted YEAY! at the end when he got FJ. Buzzy does have the jerky buzzer hand so we could all see when he was trying to buzz in and got beat. I forgive him though. Did any other contestants wear Cindy's ribbon or just today's three?

Even being in the I don't mind Austin camp, that irritated the heck out of me. No, Austin didn't win "of course".
Contestants are totally forgiven in my book for talking over Alex when he's babbling. How do they know he's going to interject some tid bit? There's such a limited amount of time I'm all STFU and get to it!
Today's game made me feel stupid. I got nothing!

• Love 7

Teebax, I figured Buzzy bet $2,000 when he had a $2,800 lead so if he lost, he'd still be 800 bucks ahead. It made sense to me, anyway, which could mean it was totally irrational! As for Lisa, she let people see her sweat, something that deodorant commercial tell you to never let happen. Instead of staying graceful, she let us all know she was tanking, which was surprising for someone who had made it that far. Most contestants get to be on one show and are gone. And even more people never get to be on even ONE show! *coughmecough*

• Love 3

For FJ tonight, I got stuck on the title of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, even though I knew it was wrong, and when Waiting For Godot came up, it was a d'oh moment for sure.  Guildenstern, Godot -- they're the same, right?

But I did get the TS of Snowy River, plus fours, Peaceable Kingdom and Ruth.

I am not looking forward to the finals.

• Love 3

Buzzy played a really good game tonight. and he was lucky he hit at least one DD (maybe two, I can't remember).   His $2000 wager made sense to me.   He made sure he would keep the lead.  I'm sorry to see Jason go.  He was truly a class act. 

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Fex said:

However, I said Waiting for Godot instantly for FJ, even though I've never seen or read it, and I didn't think I knew anything about it. There must be some knowledge about it buried deep in my brain! I don't even know which part of the clue made me say it.

Isn't it funny how that works? Unfortunately for me, nothing worked in this case. I guess the hint in the clue was "small cast," as someone here said. I didn't pick up on it. My guess was terrible.

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The only way I even know about Waiting for Gadot is because of the parody Waiting for Guffman

Sorry, but I immediately thought of Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot).

I don't mind Buzzy. For some reason I liked when he finally came up with Chagall. He was standing there thinking and thinking, and then fortunately came up with the answer before time was out. 

I felt sorry for Lisa.

I'm not really invested in who wins or loses. 

TSs I got were Snowy, plus-fours, and tense. I also got the DD of Ruth, though that was just a guess. Once again, I strained my brain but couldn't remember McCloud.

I thought it was funny that Whitefish came up in the show, what with current events.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Once again I must confess that Austin's round-the-world trip is something I'd love to do, so, despite the age difference, Austin and I are kindred spirits.

Don't forget the New York plates. If I was going on such a roadtrip, that's the only way I'd travel.

2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I confidently said "12 Angry Men" for FJ.

I didn't but the person I was watching it with guessed the same thing. I had nothing although I did suss out that the "French" part of the clue wasn't all that relevant.

• Love 1

I would have been happy with either Buzzy or Jason winning, and I am sorry that they had to play against each other. The two of them + Andrew would have been my ideal final 3. My guess is that Alan will be the 3rd finalist.

Poor Lisa. Her nerves really seemed to get the best of her. 

TS I got were Snowy River, Plus Fours, 3 PM (guess, since that is the time that Jesus died), Ruth (missed DD. Like Buzzy I knew it was Ruth or Esther & happened to choose the correct one).

8 hours ago, AuntieL said:

Yeah, every time I get annoyed  a contestant, I picture how I would be.  It's not a pretty picture.  

My fear is that I would never ring in fast enough to ever have the opportunity to answer a question. Also, my contestant interview stories would be extremely lame. But one would be that my 11-year old twin daughters are named for their 4x great-aunts who are the only other known twins on that side of the family. The reason Alex would choose this anecdote is that their names are beautiful old French names, and I am sure that he would love the opportunity to say them. 

7 hours ago, Bliss said:

I I tend to swear at times after I blurt out the wrong answer.

I do that too. Might be cool to be the first bleeped J! contestant! 

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

II don't mind Buzzy. For some reason I liked when he finally came up with Chagall. He was standing there thinking and thinking, and then fortunately came up with the answer before time was out. 

He sure pulled that answer out right in the knick of time. I would love to know if he was going through a list of names, or if he knew it but just couldn't think of it right away. 

4 hours ago, Moose135 said:

So did I. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5

I'm disappointed that there will be no women in the finals, and sad again for the absence of Cindy.

Of the two "strong personalities," I would root for Buzzy over Austin.

I also decided on 12 Angry Men for FJ, although the playwright himself did write an all-female 12 Angry Women as well as a mixed gender 12 Angry Jurors. I should have paid more attention to the mention of France.

• Love 4

To be clear, I am not against an around the world trip. 

I just couldn't understand most of what Austin was saying in describing it as he rushed through it and really don't care about all the details either. 

I felt bad for Lisa.  Definitely tell she was completely frustrated and anxious. 

I know I certainly could not ring in fast enough to play on this game.  I get the answers but there it takes me way too long to think of them

• Love 6

I agreed with Buzzy's DD answer for Biblical Widows.  Either Esther or Ruth and I figured Ruth was too obvious so I picked Esther.....  My mother was Naomi so I should know the Book of Ruth!   I think the final outcome will be determined by buzzer speed.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

So did I.  About twenty years ago a local college staged a production of 12 Angry Men, they cast women in parts and re-titled it 12 Angry Jurors.  Either the playwright or his estate caught wind and blocked the re-titling.  The college picked another play.  I said 12 Angry Men last night quite confidently!

• Love 6

Ah, for once I feel a little less stupid because I also guessed "12 Angry Men." I think I was hung up on the "all male" part of the clue. 

I guessed Ruth since that was the only book of the bible named for a woman that I knew. Now I know Esther. I also got "3 PM" because I randomly just learned it from watching Slasher Season 2 on Netflix. Don't judge me.

If I were on Jeopardy, people would tell me to smile. And that would make me want to kick them in the nuts. I don't understand why people can't just smile when they genuinely feel like it. If someone's face doesn't make you feel all warm and pleasant, don't make it about you. Let them be in the zone or just have a RBF or whatever.

• Love 5