Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I can tell which Tropic is where because they're in alphabetical order, top to bottom. Cancer, then Capricorn. Likewise the capitals of North & South Dakota: Bismarck, then Pierre.

Cool! Good mnemonic devices.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Sprockets said:

I believe he was doing the math in regard to the wager, as if on a screen in front of him.  I found it fascinating.  

Considering the gestures and words Austin would spout when making his wagers, I found it rather subdued. I've written out math problems in the air too. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

Considering the gestures and words Austin would spout when making his wagers, I found it rather subdued. I've written out math problems in the air too. 

I did hand gestures figuring out how to organize an Excel PivotTable earlier today and thought of all the air-written math problemsolvers out there.

• Love 4

Good job, Lisa.  Relatively close game today. 

(Pranjal and Austin are definitely in as wild cards, regardless of what happens tomorrow.)

For FJ, I first thought Georgia (peanuts).  Then I thought California (oranges).  Which is what I would have written down.  But, yeah, apples from Washington.

• Love 4

On behalf of us females, I'm happy to see Lisa make the semi-finals!

If by some miracle Lilly's $12,000 wins her a wild card slot, I'll be even happier.

I'm not invested in either one of them winning... just love to see women participating!

Curious... does anyone know if the Friday contestants are 'informed' of the current stats (what they need to win to make it to the semis)?

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Curious... does anyone know if the Friday contestants are 'informed' of the current stats (what they need to win to make it to the semis)?

I believe that during the quarter finals (first week of games), no contestants are informed of how any players from earlier in the week did---it wouldn't be fair to those early in the week. If I have $8000 (such as Austin), I'd probably feel I'd have to bet it all to have hopes of a wild card, but if I knew I only needed $12,000 to make it, I'd only bet $4000, which would leave me with $4000 if wrong (and theoretically, I could actually win the game with that, but couldn't if I'd bet it all (be left with $0)). 

• Love 5

Lisa has this way of speaking where half the time I cannot understand what she is saying.  I still have no idea what the title of the Jane Austen book was.

I think I missed something in Seth’s story.  It sounded like he went to the arcade on his first date and proposed?

Alex.  Shut up.  Anyone on Jeopardy! is not too young for anydamnthing.  I’m pretty sure Seth wasn’t around when they ratified the Constitution.

• Love 14

No idea how I got it, and it certainly wasn't an instaget, but somehow I did manage to come up with Washington for FJ.  I must have seen old photos of people selling apples somewhere. 

I wasn't able to get too many TS, though -- just term and Oahu/Sunday.  Some of the place/date ones I knew either the place or the date, but not both.

Congrats to Lisa!  I still have to root for my fellow Microbiologist.  Sam acted like he was tired and/or bored, leaning as he did.

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’m pretty sure Seth wasn’t around when they ratified the Constitution.

Yeah, but he missed the year....

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Lisa has this way of speaking where half the time I cannot understand what she is saying.  I still have no idea what the title of the Jane Austen book was.

Glad it wasn't just me! She seemed garbled at times. Great player, but I had no clue what she said for the Austen title either.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I thought that was crazy easy but I’m old. 

I thought it was much harder than the other FJS this week and I went with Florida like Sam did thinking Oranges.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Very annoying.  She swallows entire syllables.  

48 minutes ago, Bliss said:

On behalf of us females, I'm happy to see Lisa make the semi-finals!

I am female, and I do not think Lisa is doing anything on my behalf.  In fact I find that comment oddly sexist.  Like all other players, Lisa is playing as a human being, not as a representative of her sex, height, religion, ethnic origin, etc.  

Edited by Sprockets
typo
  • Love 4

I got prosciutto, A Place in the Sun, term insurance and Blondie. For FJ I guessed Georgia (peanuts), never would have thought of apples.

I agree with the other posters re Lisa’s enunciation. I couldn’t understand her much of the time either.

• Love 1

I still think Seth looks like Austin. For a minute today, I had a bad deja vu ... Oh NO! He's Back! Then, whew, it's only Seth. Congrats to Lisa. And if it's sexist to root for a woman and be happy a woman won, then color me sexist. I'm still waiting for a woman president. Of course, I'm OLD, which is why Washington and apples was a no brainer for me. That, plus one can't eat matches and I have no idea what state they would come from.

• Love 11

I had a hard time with Lisa's answers, too.  "I'll take enunciate for $800, Alex."  I didn't remember her at all.  I felt bad for Seth and that missed DD.  He seems like a sweet guy.  Ah, Sam!  Now I remember - the guy who appeared to be playing with himself the entire game.

I got prosciutto, A Place in the Sun, term, bond, Sunday/Oahu, and Blondie.

Finally!  I got FJ!  It was relatively easy.  YMMV.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Good job, Lisa.  Relatively close game today. 

(Pranjal and Austin are definitely in as wild cards, regardless of what happens tomorrow.)

For FJ, I first thought Georgia (peanuts).  Then I thought California (oranges).  Which is what I would have written down.  But, yeah, apples from Washington.

Good for Lisa. :) 

I had no clue on FJ and was puzzled by street-corner occupations. Didn't think of vendors / merchants despite the clue being about a fortuitous crop.  I also didn't know about the apples in Great Depression either. I guess I should have read Tom Brokaw's book "The Greatest Generation."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

Backing up @illdoc here, they are kept in the dark to make it a level playing field.

47 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I think I missed something in Seth’s story.  It sounded like he went to the arcade on his first date and proposed?

I think he returned to the location of their first date to propose.

My tip for remembering the order of the tropics is that Cancer has an N in it and is the northern one.

28 Blondie movies! Holy cow.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Very annoying.  She swallows entire syllables.  

I am female, and I do not think Lisa is doing anything on my behalf.  In fact I find that comment oddly sexist.  Like all other players, Lisa is playing as a human being, not as a representative of her sex, height, religion, ethnic origin, etc.  

My apologies, Sprockets... I certainly wasn't very wise using the phrase "on behalf of us women" because I know better than to speak on others' behalf... and although it was not meant to be a sexist remark, I can understand how you might interpret it that way. I'm a mathematician and noticed that out of 15 contestants, only 2 were female - so I was glad at least one made it to the semi-finals. Simple statistics.

Btw, I see everyone as a human being... some of them are more judgmental than others, and some are kinder than others. That's just our world.

• Love 12

I had no idea for Jeopardy. I guessed California, since everyone was going west in The Grapes of Wrath. At least I got the right side of the country!

I was surprised no one got prosciutto. It seemed obvious to me, but maybe it isn't as common as I thought!

• Love 3

Well, I worked late tonight. Got home and was hoping to watch the recording, but the power went out within minutes of me coming home. It *finally* came back on (still waiting for the heat to kick in though!) and I started to watch the recording. After about 10 seconds of the intro to Jeopardy, it switched over to Wheel of Fortune for some unknown reason.

So, I missed today's episode :(

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I thought that was crazy easy but I’m old. 

I'm old and didn't have a clue. The mister and I were going for flowers, of all things.

But I was very proud of getting 3 out of the 5 Manga answers. I was hoping for more bragging rights (my kids would have answered a whole board of them). 

• Love 2

I came up with prosecco instead of proscuito.

TSs I got were A Place in the Sun, term life, Sunday/Oahu, and Blondie.

I misunderstood FJ and, remembering old photos of people selling apples on corners, said apple. After the first two contestants revealed answers with states in them, I rewound my DVR to see what the question was again. I said NY, although in hindsight Washington is the obvious answer.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

My apologies, Sprockets... I certainly wasn't very wise using the phrase "on behalf of us women" because I know better than to speak on others' behalf... and although it was not meant to be a sexist remark, I can understand how you might interpret it that way. I'm a mathematician and noticed that out of 15 contestants, only 2 were female - so I was glad at least one made it to the semi-finals. Simple statistics..

This female is fine with your comments, ftr.

My gets were prosciutto, orange river, term life, and the Delaware 1787 DD. I did not do as well today as I did all week, and I didn't know fj. I guessed Nebraska because I decided a corn husker was a corn busker. In my defense, today is my Friday, so I hit happy hour before I watched!

Happy Veteran's Day in advance to all my fellow vets on the board.

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I misunderstood FJ and, remembering old photos of people selling apples on corners, said apple. After the first two contestants revealed answers with states in them, I rewound my DVR to see what the question was again. I said NY, although in hindsight Washington is the obvious answer.

I knew the crop would be apples (hey, Mary Worth got her start as "Apple Mary" during the depression!) -- but was torn between NY and Washington.  I wasn't sure how good transportation/preservation of fruit was in the 1930's, although if I had time I could ask my mom & her cousins -- all in their 90's and sharp as ever!

It was fun seeing the screenshot of Blondie and Dagwood!  I spent many a Saturday afternoon watching those "old" movies on TV.

• Love 5

My profession was a clue, and not a TS!!! #easilyimpressed

TS I got were prosciutto, A Place in the Sun, term life insurance, Sunday/Oahu, Blondie

I also have trouble understanding Lisa. Not necessarily unhappy that she won, but I would have preferred if Seth or Sam has won. It's pretty much a given that neither will advance with their low scores. 

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Ah, Sam!  Now I remember - the guy who appeared to be playing with himself the entire game.

I'm so glad Dr. Toothbrush & I weren't the only ones to go there! 

3 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I like Lisa and I remembered her from her first run but her “oh gosh, me....really??!!!” faces when she wins her games.....I didn’t miss those at all. Give me a break, Lisa, you’re good at Jeopardy and it’s ok to acknowledge it.

She is the Taylor Swift of Jeopardy. 

• Love 6

For some reason I overthought the prosciutto question and tried to remember the very incorrect iberian ham. 

For fj, I didn’t know that apples were sold on street corners, got bogged down in the weird wording, and ended up with Idaho for potatoes. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pallida said:

For some reason I overthought the prosciutto question and tried to remember the very incorrect iberian ham. 

For fj, I didn’t know that apples were sold on street corners, got bogged down in the weird wording, and ended up with Idaho for potatoes. 

I still remember a scene from the "Mobster Mash" episode of Animaniacs where a parody of the Godfather says the line: "The prosciutto is the ham!"   

I had no clue they sold apples on street corners either.

After that insurance category, I half expected AT to announce that if you are between the ages of 50 to 85 you can get whole life insurance for as little as 35 cents a day through Colonial Penn. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

All of you who were guessing states should be proud.  I would have answered "selling apples on the street" and left it at that.  I see "this state" now but under pressure I would have gone for the job.  I frequently have a problem with the way they word the FJ clue

I only knew about the apples from some old Bette Davis movie and my parents' stories of the Depression.  They were always trying to find people who didn't drink coffee so they could trade their ration slips for sugar to get more coffee.

Hey, I remember that movie. Wasn't she Apple Annie and gambler racketeer Glenn Ford dolled her up so her daughter wouldn't know how down on her luck she was? Cute movie. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, burner said:

I liked Lisa's "and women!" follow-up to Alex during the interview portion.

2 hours ago, dcalley said:

Yes! Although I noticed she said "girls" and not "women."

He used the term "boys" referring to her fellow EMT/firefighters, though, so it wasn't in a demeaning way.  I was worried she would get the "corrects Alex curse" though.  So glad she didn't.  One TS that surprised me a lot was the Alexander the Great death--Asia and the 1st century BC seemed like a gimme, but I guess that's one of those things that depends on your wheelhouse.  None of them are history buffs, I think.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

He used the term "boys" referring to her fellow EMT/firefighters, though, so it wasn't in a demeaning way.  I was worried she would get the "corrects Alex curse" though.  So glad she didn't. 

Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was "boys" or "guys." It's true that those might prime you to say "girls" in response.  I'd forgotten about the curse, ha!

• Love 3

I thought Alexander had died in Egypt, because there was a story that he was embalmed in honey.

I knew about the apple vendors from A Pocketful of Miracles (the Bette Davis/Glenn Ford movie mentioned above) and from a comic strip titled "Apple Mary," which was later retooled into "Mary Worth" (though the creators deny it).  From there, it was simple enough to think of Washington State.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm old and didn't have a clue. The mister and I were going for flowers, of all things.

But I was very proud of getting 3 out of the 5 Manga answers. I was hoping for more bragging rights (my kids would have answered a whole board of them). 

I'm old but I was sitting there thinking what in the world is Manga?

• Love 8

I parsed apples immediately for FJ! but wavered between Michigan and Washington.  Finally I said Washington.  Contestants need to watch Turner Classic Movies to see Blondie and 1930s Depression movies!

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, deemac said:

I'm old but I was sitting there thinking what in the world is Manga?

I'm probably as old, but these Japanese comic books are my grown-up kids' passion (one of whom is an artist influenced by them). They might more precisely be graphic novels - but I'm not sure where the dividing line is these days.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew about the apple vendors from A Pocketful of Miracles (the Bette Davis/Glenn Ford movie mentioned above) and from a comic strip titled "Apple Mary," which was later retooled into "Mary Worth" (though the creators deny it).  From there, it was simple enough to think of Washington State.

Co-starring a young Peter Falk. 

• Love 2

Co-starring a young Peter Falk. 

And a young Ann-Margret. This movie is where my mom developed her crush on Falk. It was further strengthened by "The Price of Tomatoes" on the Dick Powell Theater on TV - he was a truck driver befriending a pregnant Inger Stevens.

• Love 2

After that insurance category, I half expected AT to announce that if you are between the ages of 50 to 85 you can get whole life insurance for as little as 35 cents a day through Colonial Penn. 

Too funny!

I frequently have a problem with the way they word the FJ clue

You are not the only one.  I watch with my hubby and 11-year-old, and we all looked at each and said "what exactly are they looking for?".  For us oldsters, can you imagine trying to diagram these questions/answers?

• Love 5