Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I would hate for Jeopardy! Austin to be associated with the good Austin so thank you for correcting, Alex. 

All three DD’s were spectacularly unchallenging.

He called Alex “dude.”  No.  I cannot.  I don’t care how smart you are, I look for at least SOME decorum in Jeopardy! contestants and this guy has none.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 12

LOL - looks like I just "rang in too soon" with my question!

In that question regarding a driver earning his place on the track, do you think they would have accepted "post position" rather than "pole", or is "post" just for horses??

• Love 2

I got FJ purely by experience/luck - I have never actually read 1984, but from familiarity with J! questions I knew the numbers would be important, so chanced some math and it happened to lead to a book title.

Otherwise I wouldn't have had a chance.

• Love 3

No, every horse in a race has a Post position - it denotes their starting spot in the gates.  Pole position in an auto race refers only to the fastest qualifier as in being "on the pole".  Of course these days, who knows what they might accept.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Nope.  Still hate him.  I gather the show thinks I’m supposed to find his antics charming?  Because I absolutely do not.

This.  F him and the bike he rode in on.

I got Norway.

For FJ I was stumped and then did the math.

• Love 9

Today's Austin anecdote for those who missed it: he rides his bike to work and has had naming contests at the bar for his bicycles. His first one (James VanDerBike) got wrecked, his second (Bike Tyson) was stolen, and his third one was supposed to be named Alex TreBike but Austin thought Alex too austere a gentleman for such indignity, and chose the name Spokey Robinson instead.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 10
37 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Today's Austin anecdote for those who missed it: he rides his bike to work and has had naming contests at the bar for his bicycles. His first one (James VanDerBike) got wrecked, his second (Bike Tyson) was stolen, and his third one was supposed to be named Alex TreBike but Austin thought Alex too austere a gentleman for such indignity, and chose the name Spokey Robinson instead.

Too august, wasn't it?

• Love 5

I truly don't understand what histrionics people are referring to. So he has a stream of consciousness when he plays. How is that disrespectful? I haven't seen him doing anything at all that I would consider rude to the other competitors. 

He strongly reminds me of my BIL who has that same quirky sense of humor. 

• Love 9

This question: "I wonder how many marriage proposals he's received." reminded me of how women want to marry murderers and serial killers. From abc.com: "Scott Peterson, awaiting death in the execution chamber of San Quentin State Prison for the murders of his wife and unborn son, is reportedly flooded with letters from admirers. Even Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh received marriage proposals before he was executed." So yeah, based on how popular Scott and Tim are/were with the ladies, I'm guessing Austin will get one or two proposals, even though he is the least best looking of the three.

• Love 3

I felt sorry for Chris when he buzzed in too soon after Sarah incorrectly answered, "What is the Yucatan?" I did get a chuckle out of him sadly, reluctantly saying, "What is the Yucatan."

The only TS I got was irony. I wasn't sure about it, however, so if I had been playing I probably wouldn't have rung in.

There was the category something like "First Name in the Dictionary," and I kept forgetting to keep that in mind. For instance, one clue was asking to give the two words that go with "coo." Bill and [coo]. Dumb ol' me said cootchy.

I would love to see Chris's viral dog video. Does anyone have a link?

The video of the scuba diver among all those fish was incredible and beautiful.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

I truly don't understand what histrionics people are referring to. So he has a stream of consciousness when he plays. How is that disrespectful? I haven't seen him doing anything at all that I would consider rude to the other competitors. 

He strongly reminds me of my BIL who has that same quirky sense of humor. 

The "oh, whatever" hand waves, pointing to his money total after a win and gloating, boredly bopping his head to the final jeopardy music. Obviously YMMV, but he just seems so pleased with himself. He comes across (to me) as someone who thinks he is being cute and clever when in reality he is unfunny and tiresome. Just kind of tone deaf to how he might be coming across.

• Love 18

I actually love that he can be "oh whatever" when he screws up a question. I admire that he can brush it off when so many others fold up like a cheap tent. It's a game show, not life and death. He doesn't need to look stricken when he loses a lot of money on a question (and he has lost big amounts on daily doubles).  It's an attitude I wish more people would have. And I see nothing disrespectful about it. 

• Love 5

I am aware of the fact that this is a game show, not life and death, and by no means expect him to look "stricken" when he loses a lot of money. It's that his "oh whatever" attitude strikes me as an affectation. His whole being seems like an affectation. 

• Love 10

Oh, Alex.

No one else has mentioned it, so I will. When Austin got FJ, Alex said, "Three thousand ONLY?" Um...Alex, if the middle guy had bet everything and guessed right and Austin had bet much more than 3K, he would have lost. Like, duh!

It's that his "oh whatever" attitude strikes me as an affectation. It's that his "oh whatever" attitude strikes me as an affectation.

You see Austin's attitude as an affectation while I think it's endearing, and I abso-bloody-lutely loved his bike "bio." One of my book characters has a Corvette named Vetty Grable.

When I said I wondered how many marriage proposals Austin had received, I was thinking of the money he'd won.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Sometimes I can't even tell what he is gesturing.  The other day when it was  Rubik's cube, I thought he was making a large meatball....

Now this is hilariously funny and I think Austin would think so too.

• Love 1
On 10/9/2017 at 4:23 PM, PaulaO said:

Austin seemed nervous today.  His voice was shaky.  Think he'll lose on purpose to be in this year's TOC???

I noticed that too. It seemed strange.

22 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Just to clarify, it's not the Shakespearean play. It's Caesar's own writing, Commentaries on the Gallic War. 

My husband got it because he took Latin in high school many moons ago. I had no idea what the answer was. So I was glad it was Julius Caesar's own writing, instead of Shakespeare's, since I was a lit major and have read that play.

13 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Omg, James Vanderbike? I absolutely love this guy! 

I reacted with visceral dislike to that anecdote (of course he names his bikes)...but then I had to grudgingly acknowledge that the names were kind of cute.

9 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

I like him, but I also liked Matt and the chick with the drumsticks in her pants and Alex’s over-the-top accents, so clearly I am not an arbiter of good taste. LOL

I am not a fan of Austin, but I grew to like Matt, and I'm not sure who the woman is. Apparently she didn't stand out for me. And I've never minded Alex giving the native pronunciations to words (given that I do the same with my own second language).  I think I have great taste. LOL.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

So I guess Smokey Robinson is NOT too august or austere or whatever for such indignity? Good to know, Austin. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

I think Austin is pretty attractive myself. But I wouldn’t propose marriage mainly because I wonder if he flails about while sleeping. 

XD

Oh the things he could mime.

9 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I actually love that he can be "oh whatever" when he screws up a question. I admire that he can brush it off when so many others fold up like a cheap tent. It's a game show, not life and death. He doesn't need to look stricken when he loses a lot of money on a question (and he has lost big amounts on daily doubles).  It's an attitude I wish more people would have. And I see nothing disrespectful about it. 

Looking "stricken" is way on the other end of the spectrum. To me, his frequent reaction when responding incorrectly is more like dismissing the question rather than simply moving on from his mistake. It's not an attractive quality, imo.

Schnickelfritz, thanks for posting that video. It has brought joy into my morning.

16 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I reacted with visceral dislike to that anecdote (of course he names his bikes)...but then I had to grudgingly acknowledge that the names were kind of cute.

I liked the pun names. I like puns. And many people name their cars, so why not bicycles? I also liked that he made clear that HE didn't come up with the great names, but they came from a contest. That was generous of him.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

One of my book characters has a Corvette named Vetty Grable.

My mother wanted me to name my car Fenry. It's a Honda.  That's right. Fenry Honda.  But since it's a Fit, I named it Pitcha, which I thought was better than Conniption or Epileptic.

Thanks for a doggy video. They grow so fast, don't they?  I need a bowl like that for Bosco. My kitty eats WAY too fast. I've started calling him Gobbles.

Missed the latest show - condo board meeting - so I can't address FJ or TS or anything. Tomorrow I've got a candidate forum to attend; I keep hoping I won't get to see Austin lose spectacularly while I'm out. I'd love to come back to a new champ.  I don't hate him, but I have gotten bored with his antics. J! is not an antic-friendly show.

• Love 3

We could go round and round on this because it's a matter of interpretation but I love that he can just let it go. To me he seems to be a stream of consciousness player and I don't mind it at all. I'm that way on my couch all the time except I curse a lot more. At least he doesn't remark about how confusing some of the clues are. 

I also tend to think once dislike sets in everything starts to grate, no matter what. 

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I answered Garp for FJ!

So did I.  I had misread the clue, finally did the math but it was too late.

Only three ts's for me last night, power boat, Norway and Bill.

I don't normally listen to the contestant interviews but Mr.Trey un-muted a bit early so I heard Austin's bike name story.  Loved it!

Thanks, @GreekGeek

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

All the articles I read about Austin center around his "quirkiness" and how some people prefer stuffy J! champions. I don't mind quirky, I'm one of the few who didn't mind dancin' fool Jennifer. But I don't find Austin quirky, he's smug and arrogant. Big difference. Taming the hair and trimming the irritating hipster beard were good moves, but that smug personality. Ugh. I'll never get used to it. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

All the articles I read about Austin center around his "quirkiness" and how some people prefer stuffy J! champions. I don't mind quirky, I'm one of the few who didn't mind dancin' fool Jennifer. But I don't find Austin quirky, he's smug and arrogant. Big difference. Taming the hair and trimming the irritating hipster beard were good moves, but that smug personality. Ugh. I'll never get used to it. 

Yes I see it the same way.   He strikes me as much more arrogant than quirky. 

And ironically not arrogant about how smart he is and his talent for the game, which is evident.  Instead he is arrogant about how funny and entertaining he thinks he is when really he is not, in my opinion.  His beginning of the show into stuff......lame grade school stuff.  His "whatever" attitude when he misses a double jeopardy, again, childish.  Lame jokes. 

Strikes me as being like the kid that just tries too hard to be "cool" and misses. 

• Love 13

My favorite aunt is a stream of consciousness talker. Being with her is a constant audio wall of "What should I make for dinner? That turkey's getting old, but I don't feel like turkey. Maybe we should have something healthy? No, that sounds good but no one ever eats when I make something healthy. The turkey....? Not feeling it. Whatever! Pizza it is!"

So I am amused by Austin's "whatever"s and "who cares?"-es. I don't like the mimicry over the introductions, but once he settles in, I like watching him play. He not only knows a lot, but I like watching him process the information in the clue and figure it out. I also think he plays with respect, as weird as that sounds. No deliberate running of the clock and he generally starts at the top of the category.

I do admit that I'm usually on my laptop when Jeopardy! is on, so I miss a lot of mannerisms that people are annoyed by on this board. When someone is a "rocker" or buzzer clicker, I don't see much of it.

I prefer quirky to boring, so I guess I'm more an Austin fan than I'm not.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My mother wanted me to name my car Fenry. It's a Honda. That's right. Fenry Honda. 

OMG that's hilarious! When I read that, I laughed and laughed.

But since it's a Fit, I named it Pitcha

Good one. I bought a white Fit last year. I just call it Marshmallow. I lurv it.

• Love 2

Quote: "Now this is hilariously funny and I think Austin would think so too." Yes, Austin would think it quite funny because it's about him, the person who is at the center of his universe, around whom all the world revolves. I hope he's not setting the stage for more insufferable contestants. Or should I say, "victims"?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yes I see it the same way.   He strikes me as much more arrogant than quirky. 

And ironically not arrogant about how smart he is and his talent for the game, which is evident.  Instead he is arrogant about how funny and entertaining he thinks he is when really he is not, in my opinion.  His beginning of the show into stuff......lame grade school stuff.  His "whatever" attitude when he misses a double jeopardy, again, childish.  Lame jokes. 

Thank you! This is exactly how I feel!

• Love 5

I barely paid attention tonight because Insufferable Smug Chewbacca was being, well, insufferable, but I did think FJ was an instaget.  No idea if there even were any TS, much less ones I was able to come up with.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Austin buys all his clothes at thrift shops and snarks at health care.  My respect for him grows even greater.

I thought it was a criticism of the high cost of health care.

The "pip" clue was a good one. Not hard, but I enjoyed it.

• Love 6

I had to laugh when Alex put his fingers to his lips in the "be quiet" signal when Austin disparaged health care. Don't know is Austin is aware Alex does paid endorsements for Medicare insurance. Not good form to put down host's second job.

TS's  got were The Middle, Auel and All Things Considered. Didn't get FJ tonight unfortunately. 

• Love 2

Dammit, Brian!  Why didn't you know those two DD's?  I didn't even mind you starting at the bottom.  

What was with Insufferable Unfunny Smug Chewbacca's weird pronunciation of "Ahhhh-tala"?  And no, Alex, he's not Mr. Showbiz.  Stop being his pal.

I got Jean Auel and All Things Considered.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 7

I had to catch up on 3 games, two because of working late and one because of the stupid gubernatorial debate in NJ (and for the 2:05am "repeat" my DVR cut off Austin's answer to the 1984 FJ -- ugh!

LOVED that story and the kick Alex got out of it.

But on to today's game. Awww Brian was so cute and a good sport when he got clues wrong. And Lisa Rhae(?) knows her hip hop!

For TS I got Paul Auster (love him), All Things Considered, and Lift Every Voice and Sing. FJ was an instaget and in my opinion not FJ worthy. Maybe a $2K clue.

I also tend to think once dislike sets in everything starts to grate, no matter what. 

I agree and I feel for those who can't stand Austin because I've felt the same about other contestants. We just have to agree to disagree.

• Love 5

His health care joke didn't even make much sense. I got the point, health care is expensive, but he was blaming it on rich people and comparing it to giving away nice clothes.  Not a parallel that makes much sense. 

When he is just playing the game I don't mind Austin at all. 

I expect he is going to be on here for awhile.  No one recently has even had a shot. 

As mentioned the DJs killed Brian tonight or he had a chance. 

No one knew All Things Considered? 

Also as smart as Austin is, once or twice a game I am surprised about things he guesses or does not know.  That was one of them tonight.  I don't recall thinking that with Ken Jennings very often. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I haven’t seen all of Smug Chewbacca's appearances but in the ones I’ve seen Alex is deferential to Austin in a way that I have never seen before.  I hate it.

You haven't missed anything.   Alex is all over him and I hate it too.

And as a senior citizen, I hardly need Chewbacca's opinion on healthcare.

• Love 7