Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

6th???? Who's #5 and how close is Austin to moving up? As to FJ, we said "Olivier" and then rejected it as being too obvious. Stupid us!

No 5 is a tie between Arthur Chu and Seth from last year who have 11 wins. 

• Love 2

I came up with Olivier right away, but just to be sure I counted four Shakespeare movies he'd starred in. I was very disappointed that both Cathy and Todd missed it. 

I rarely watch the handshakes part afterwards, but maybe I'll check it out to see how that went down.

I did not get any TSs, but I did correctly guess Paul Revere for the DD.

Instead of june bug, I said mayfly. Instead of petrel, I said kestrel.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

No 5 is a tie between Arthur Chu and Seth from last year who have 11 wins. 

Wasn't Alex referring to the total amount won in non-tournament play?

If so, I think Austin has Arthur Chu beat (I don't remember Seth).

1 minute ago, secnarf said:

Wasn't Alex referring to the total amount won in non-tournament play?

If so, I think Austin has Arthur Chu beat (I don't remember Seth).

I didn't hear what Alex said I just assumed number of wins not money. With today's game he past Arthur in money and is 100,000 short of Matt Jackson.

3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

That guy in the middle did not shake his hand at all! Am I the only one that noticed that?

I'm so glad that guy in the middle didn't win.  What a pill. 

I was surprised that lady missed Paul Revere, and they both missed FJ, which seemed obvious to me.

Yay, Austin!

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 6

As to FJ, we said "Olivier" and then rejected it as being too obvious. Stupid us!

I did the same and wondered if it was Peter O'Toole but he was FJ or a DD or something a few days ago so I thought it couldn't be him. Way too much overthinking! I almost talked myself out of Paul Revere too since it seemed so obvious.

That guy in the middle did not shake his hand at all! Am I the only one that noticed that?

SO awkward. I hate to think he would be that much of an ass -- if you have to lose, better to lose to a really good player. 

Austin seemed tired in the Jeopardy round. I felt like he was deliberately losing.

• Love 1

We usually erase the recording as soon as we see who won (unless I want to see someone's complete outfit at the end), so missed Todd refusing Austin's outstretched hand. That's a really jerky move.

The only TS I got were June bug & bogey (missed DD). FJ was an instaget. The only category I ran was Designers by Initial. 

• Love 1

People use or are given fake occupations all the time on reality shows.

True, but I don't consider Jeopardy! a reality show :)

However, I think I've changed my mind about my critique of those who don't watch the show as long as Austin keeps winning. There's so much vitriol toward somebody you've never met in person, you really should stay away until he's gone.

I've felt vitriolic, to a lesser extent, when I've occasionally surfed onto House Hunters (is that what it's called?) and watched someone go spare because, on a limited budget she wants real-wood floors, stainless steel appliances, an open floor plan and a walk-in closet, BUT, oh-damn, the house doesn't have double bathroom sinks!

• Love 5

Durn Football! I never thought I'd say this because I love watching football, but darn it all, last night's Jeopardy was preempted due to football pregame coverage. I feel like a missed the party. Glad to read your posts so I get the gist of what happened. I'm definitely ready for tonight's game.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I didn't think Austin could be more insufferable than he already was but what in the world was that flitting fingers crap at the end when his total was mentioned? And those stupid pantomimes at the start just plain need to stop. 

A-to-the-men. Until yesterday's game, I thought he was a pretty good pantomimer, but then that wine-opening and -pouring mime was really sloppy. Yes, I'm being very nitpicky, but I do appreciate a good mime. Anyway, I try not to judge contestants as to their character or personality. You never know what's going on with them. Nervous? Shy? Tone-deaf? Austin is very knowledgeable, but in the non-playing parts of the show, I do not enjoy watching him.

• Love 3

Now Jeopardy is sending photos and biographies of Austin Rogers to my email inbox. STOP IT! As for that guy not shaking his hand (I didn't see yesterday's show), some people freeze up when being filmed. That guy could have just been in a stupor from actually appearing on Jeopardy. Years ago I was in a corporate film, and every time the director told me to go ahead with my lines, I froze like a moron. And I can speak and give a presentation in front of an auditorium packed with people. But the camera ... yikes. I dislike Austin with the heat of a zillion suns, but I watch this show to test my own knowledge. Austin is just a MAJOR distraction (and gross irritation) to my enjoyment of smart people.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Now Jeopardy is sending photos and biographies of Austin Rogers to my email inbox. STOP IT! As for that guy not shaking his hand (I didn't see yesterday's show), some people freeze up when being filmed. That guy could have just been in a stupor from actually appearing on Jeopardy. Years ago I was in a corporate film, and every time the director told me to go ahead with my lines, I froze like a moron. And I can speak and give a presentation in front of an auditorium packed with people. But the camera ... yikes. I dislike Austin with the heat of a zillion suns, but I watch this show to test my own knowledge. Austin is just a MAJOR distraction (and gross irritation) to my enjoyment of smart people.

I just opened my email and was assaulted by pictures of this asshat.  What fresh hell is this?

• Love 9

Didn't  like Austin at first now I  do, although he gives me  shudders  when he bets so much on the DD's. I usually cover my eyes and screech. My family  are convinced I've lost my mind. I did think that middle guy was a tool last night, no handshake........really.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, opus said:

Bummer. Had Olivier, switched to Branagh. Once Alex said the '40s, knew I was done.

I probably would've gotten Olivier, but I'd have known it wasn't Branagh since he's only gotten acting nominations twice, for Henry V and My Week With Marilyn (playing Laurence Olivier, coincidentally).  Yeah, I'm something of a Branagh bitch.  So glad to know I don't have to worry about taping Jeopardy while I'm out tonight.

• Love 4

Austin's pantomimes and all the finger flitting, sighs, big gestures, etc are annoying, and he can cut those out at any time. Maybe bartender is code for aspiring actor? But I think he is an excellent player and his range of knowledge and gutsy wagers are impressive. His story about being buried in snow during a mini-avalanche (of course he knew the correct word for it), and having his partner laugh at him before digging him out was funny. I also hope said partner took pics and a video. And he naturally forgot which peak he was climbing. Of course he did. 

• Love 4

I don't hate Austin, but I can see where others would find him annoying.  My area airs Jeopardy at 3pm, so it's a treat when my schedule works out for me to watch it, and I can't imagine hating any player enough to not watch - I tend to mute the first commercial break and not turn the sound back on until the anecdotes are done, so contestant personalities might not be as much of a factor for me in my enjoyment.  I find incompetent players more annoying, and Austin at least moves quickly enough that they clear the boards.  The only players I hate are ones who move so slow they end up leaving entire categories on the board.

Maybe bartender is code for aspiring actor? 

Aren't all bartenders/waitresses in NY aspiring actors?

Spoiler

Sorry for those who hate him, he's going to be back Monday.  I was a little surprised he was the only one to get FJ.  Mongolia was the 1st Asian country I could think of that isn't densly populated, and Monaco was the only country in Europe that came to mind starting with the same letters, and I figured as a tiny city-state it has to be densely populated.

Edited by athelyna
add a comment
  • Love 4

The browser I use for PTV doesn't show spoiler bars. Just fyi. Meanwhile, I opened the Jeopardy email that promos Austin. Here are some quotes from him that will lock in the love from his admirers: "I always wanted validation that I’m smarter than everyone, and now, when in an argument, I can just say “SCOREBOARD!” and point to an imaginary jumbotron." and: "But when they start introducing the next victims – sorry, contestants – I always think, “I forgot to prepare one of the pantomimes!” And he seems to like to sleep, wherever he is: "I would’ve ended up with a music major as well, but I slept through my final piano test ..." So yeah, my apologies for thinking this oh-so-special guy is a tool. *sarcasm*

• Love 6
On 10/3/2017 at 10:53 AM, Stacey1014 said:

Austin's appearance bugs me more than his playing style. He needs a good haircut and a shave. He looks like he literally roled out of bed and showed up at the studio. 

Yup, guy likes to sleep, probably sleeping before the game starts lol

Edited by piequinn35
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

The browser I use for PTV doesn't show spoiler bars. Just fyi. Meanwhile, I opened the Jeopardy email that promos Austin. Here are some quotes from him that will lock in the love from his admirers: "I always wanted validation that I’m smarter than everyone, and now, when in an argument, I can just say “SCOREBOARD!” and point to an imaginary jumbotron." and: "But when they start introducing the next victims – sorry, contestants – I always think, “I forgot to prepare one of the pantomimes!” And he seems to like to sleep, wherever he is: "I would’ve ended up with a music major as well, but I slept through my final piano test ..." So yeah, my apologies for thinking this oh-so-special guy is a tool. *sarcasm*

See? Just when I start to like (ok, not mind) him, I read this shit. It's not attractive in anyone, least of all a 40-year old man.

1 hour ago, piequinn35 said:

Yup, guy likes to sleep, probably sleeping before the game starts lol

So that's why he looks so disheveled...lol No, I'm sure it's a hipster thing, although he looks better now based on his appearance on GMA. 

• Love 3

For some reason, I knew that fact about those countries being the most and least densely populated in the world, so FJ was an instaget for me!

What a ridiculous Double Jeopardy round!!! They were all just standing there letting easy answers go by. AGGHHHH! Barack Obama!!!!???? They sure don't know their country's presidents.... 

I will give them a pass for Ursa Major, because they may have been debating between that and Ursa Minor. 

• Love 1

I got the Asian one, but couldn't for the life of me come up with the European one.  Just drew a blank.

I did, however, come up with room temperature, mole, and reactivity.  Sometimes being a science geek is a good thing!

Also, Austin?  Shut up with the accents.  It's bad enough when Alex does it, but when a tool like you does it, it's a thousand times worse.

• Love 5

Since when is a mole a measuring unit for small things? It's a (very big) number, similar concept to a 'dozen'. Unless by "small things" they meant molecules and atoms? I was just thoroughly confused by the wording of that clue.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Sorry, I find Austin entertaining. Both my kids root hard for him too, he makes them laugh.

You don't have to be sorry. Most of us here repect people's rights to their opinions! 

Even when they're wrong. (I kid, I kid.)

Lots of TS gets for me tonight, which hasn't happened since Austin showed up. 

I got Sally Field, Tufts, landed on us, plantations, Uranus, room temperature, Obama (surprised me no never got that),  Ursa Major, and FJ immediately. 

No issues with Austin for me today. I think his GMA appearance helped. He looks great with the haircut,  too.

• Love 3

I thought I dvr’d and missed it. Did he win? Was it a blowout? I find him incredibly annoying, obnoxious & showboat. That said, he’s smarter & richer then me so I doubt he cares much what I think. LOL!,,

• Love 5

Smug Chewbacca is the reason they should go back to the five game limit on Jeopardy champions.  His ridiculous pantomimes, the "whatever, who cares" when he missed that DD, his Australian accent, and his telling Alex he just knew he'd gotten FJ made me loathe him more.  I didn't think that was possible.  I wish Alex Jacobs would come back in drag and blow him out of the water.

I got Sally Field, sheep (missed DD), plantations, room temperature, and Barack Obama.

It took me a minute to figure out FJ, but I got it in plenty of time.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Fex said:

What a ridiculous Double Jeopardy round!!! They were all just standing there letting easy answers go by. AGGHHHH! Barack Obama!!!!???? They sure don't know their country's presidents.... 

Yeah, those were not that hard. I feel like they must have psyched themselves out avoiding wrong answers.

I really thought this might be the day!  Anyone who's been playing all week has got to be exhausted by the time they film Friday's show.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Since when is a mole a measuring unit for small things? It's a (very big) number, similar concept to a 'dozen'. Unless by "small things" they meant molecules and atoms? I was just thoroughly confused by the wording of that clue.

Yes, moles are a unit of measure for very small things, like atoms or molecules.  There are a lot of those very small things in one mole.  That's one thing I remember from high school chemistry.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)

• Love 2

The Hubby got Mongolia right away and from that we figured out Monaco, based on the letters...always excited when we get the FJ.  And I'm like some other folks, I wonder if Austin is trying to be an actor and is hoping someone sees his "fancy acting skills" :)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As for that guy not shaking his hand (I didn't see yesterday's show), some people freeze up when being filmed. That guy could have just been in a stupor from actually appearing on Jeopardy.

I actually rewatched this little scene. I don't think it was any big deal. Todd was staring straight ahead -- maybe in a stupor, like you said, maybe thinking about how he blew it. Austin turned to him to speak. Austin didn't hold out his hand, but stood awkwardly for a couple of seconds before Alex made his way over. I can't say that Todd deliberately ignored him. In the short clip of the four of them standing around talking -- before stupidly reshowing the wine-bottle mime -- Todd seems to be enjoying talking with Austin. 

Years ago I was in a corporate film, and every time the director told me to go ahead with my lines, I froze like a moron

Honestly, I cannot hear (or read) that word without applying it to one particular person. He owns it.

As for tonight's show, I got Sally Field, plantations, Obama, and Nixon. 

For FJ I said Monaco and Monrovia, which is actually a city here in Southern Calif. I guess I confused it with Moldova, which doesn't fit the clue at all. BTW, years ago I came upon this site for a travel book for a fictional country called Molvania. Open the link with your sound on to hear their national anthem!

I loved Diana's dog story.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Yes, moles are a unit of measure for very small things, like atoms or molecules.  There are a lot of those very small things in one mole.  That's one thing I remember from high school chemistry.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)

I know what a mole is - I have a degree in chemistry - but I would never describe it as it was in the clue. If it was referring to atoms or molecules it should have said so. I think of a unit of measure for very small things as being on the order of nano-units. I just thought it was a badly worded clue.

• Love 4

I got the Obama TS with a quick save because my first thought was Nixon (California) but I didn't say it out loud; I caught myself and yelled "Obama". My dog said that by our house rules I keep the TS. Others were Sally Field, landed on us, and Nixon.

Like the woman in the middle I guessed Turkey & Turkmenistan for FJ. I ALWAYS forget about Monaco.

• Love 3

Austin seemed like he was tired during Thursday's and Friday's shows. Hopefully he'll get a chance for some sleep before the next filming dates (still can't get over him saying he slept through his final exam and said, "oh well").

I find him mildly entertaining. A lot of his during-the-game comments seem like stream of consciousness. It seems most of what goes through his brain comes out his mouth, and half my family is like that, so I kind of like it. The mimicry during the intros, that I could do without.

Anyone know what bar he works at and was live tweeting from?

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I've felt vitriolic, to a lesser extent, when I've occasionally surfed onto House Hunters (is that what it's called?) and watched someone go spare because, on a limited budget she wants real-wood floors, stainless steel appliances, an open floor plan and a walk-in closet, BUT, oh-damn, the house doesn't have double bathroom sinks!

House Hunters is not what it seems!

7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The browser I use for PTV doesn't show spoiler bars.

You can report bugs here: http://forums.previously.tv/forum/698-bugs/

7 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

Austin seemed like he was tired during Thursday's and Friday's shows. Hopefully he'll get a chance for some sleep before the next filming dates

Not exactly spoilery, but some behind-the-scenes info:

Spoiler

Austin got a very long break in filming here (at least 2 months).

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I got the Obama TS with a quick save because my first thought was Nixon (California) but I didn't say it out loud; I caught myself and yelled "Obama". My dog said that by our house rules I keep the TS. Others were Sally Field, landed on us, and Nixon.

Like the woman in the middle I guessed Turkey & Turkmenistan for FJ. I ALWAYS forget about Monaco.

I guessed Belgium and Belarus, though Wikipedia says Belarus is in Eastern Europe, not Asia.

I was shocked that Obama was a TS!! A friend of mine works at the hospital in Honolulu where he was born, but even so, there was such a big deal made out of his birth certificate and how he was born in Hawaii that I honestly thought everyone would know that fact by now. It's not like it's ancient history -- it kept coming up throughout his presidency.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, secnarf said:

I know what a mole is - I have a degree in chemistry - but I would never describe it as it was in the clue. If it was referring to atoms or molecules it should have said so. I think of a unit of measure for very small things as being on the order of nano-units. I just thought it was a badly worded clue.

Do you remember the wording of the clue? I got it as soon as I saw insectivore (I had one Chem prof in particular who always made a big deal of Mole Day), so I didn't really register the rest of the question.

• Love 1

I think more than anything Austin has pointed out one flaw most people who play the game fall into :  Not taking advantage of the daily doubles.  He bets bigs and while he sometimes misses, more often than not it benefits him.  Most people seem to get to the daily double and play it conservative, thinking they don't want to lose too much, so they don't bet much more than the typical 1000-2000 range.  They don't take advantage of it.  He does.

Now he has missed before to his detriment.  He did last night.  He is good enough to come back from it though, so its not just the daily doubles.  He is a good player.  But still his game play has exposed how most players really just don't use the daily double like they should, at least if its a category you are semi-comfortable with. 

I would not want him taking over for Alex.  I know that was probably a joke, but I don't like him that well. 

• Love 12

I've been on the fence about Austin since his first appearance, sometimes annoyed, sometimes amused, but I never did hate him.  I was relieved he won last night so I guess that definitely puts me in the pro-Austin camp.

Some of my ts's were Sally Field, plantation, and room temperature. 

Not quite an instaget FJ but I figured quickly that Mongolia would have a low density of population and then it was just a short jump to Monaco.  I've had a fairly long streak of missed FJ's so I was happy to get this one.

• Love 4