Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I guessed The Bronx for FJ.  I knew it was one of the burrows of NY. 

Austin was not as annoying tonight, except hamming it up for the camera in the intros. 

Oh and I forgot since I was behind, the Hall of Fame football category.......easy for me, wish they would have finished them.  The worst though........Marcus Allen on the COLORADO ROCKIES!!!!  There is SO MUCH wrong with that answer. 

• Love 1
Just now, DrSpaceman73 said:

Austin was not as annoying tonight, except hamming it up for the camera in the intros. 

I thought the same thing - I was wondering if they shot him with a tranquilizer dart or something.  FJ was an instaget - they don't have them any more, but for years, I remember seeing these signs on the highways as you would enter Brooklyn:

il_570xN.1063369894_1vey.jpg

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Johnny Gilbert!  I may have to stop watching if Smug Chewbacca continues to win.

I got Trans Union and the Chicago 7.

I was totally confused by FJ.  I still don't understand it even after seeing the answer.

Brooklyn used to be a separate city from NY and merged with it in 1898.  If it was still a separate city today, by itself, it would be the 4th largest in the country. 

If you watched Welcome Back Kotter way back in the day, in the intro, there was a sign during the opening song that alluded to this. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

He acted like a freakin' four-year-old during the intros.  I'm honestly wondering what's wrong with him.  It's interesting that he dialed it all the way back after Alex referred to him as "our very shy champion" or words to that effect.  Either he suddenly realized he was looking like an asshole or he just wanted to be the opposite of what Alex labeled him as.  Gad.

I knew FJ instantly, since I was born in Brooklyn, and that 4th-largest city bit is a point of pride there, for some reason.  I got one whole category wrong (I've blocked out which it was), but I ran the movie quotes, including Annie Hall, Austin.  (Who's a bartender in NYC but oddly didn't know yesterday which Ivy League school is on 116th Street.)  Now I really want to know where he tends bar.

• Love 3

Brooklyn made FJ -- yay!!  I didn't grow up here but that sign in the Welcome Back, Kotter open always stuck with me.

For TS I got Transunion, fork (lucky guess), regret, and Chicago 7.

I think Austin is authentically quirky but he's laying some hipster meta performance art on top. Anyway he slayed this game -- yay!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Is he that young?  I would have guessed older.  Maybe the beard does that though

That was also just a guess.  I've noticed most of the contestants are way under 40 anymore.  Or I'm just noticing the contestants are younger because I'm closer to 40.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Not surprised that Austin is so polarizing here. So many of the great players are. I haven't decided how I feel about his personality yet. But holy shit, that dude can play Jeopardy. I mean holy shit. More than once I just sat there shaking my head with my mouth gaped open.

I'm not terribly fond of him, but I do have a great deal of respect for his game. 

• Love 7

This is the first time I've seen a game with Austin all the way through. I saw half the game on Tuesday and missed it yesterday. Apart from the mugging during the intro, I didn't see anything obnoxious about him. I'll take everybody's word for it that he toned down whatever was objectionable. But I've always loved thick long wavy hair on guys.

I knew Annie Hall and missed Brooklyn. My mind was on New England.

Alex was pretty judgy during two of the three interviews. First he called the history teacher's students strange for making a "Robert Barron/Robber Baron" pun, then he said the woman and her sister were weird for making videos about 80's and 90's movies. The Goonies reference went right over Alex's head.

• Love 1

I got Annie Hall and lava. I couldn't quite get TransUnion. I thought "Trans... America? Nah"

What was the reference in the clue (in Chess?) where it said, "draw, then go kiss his sister"?

In the Civil War category, would just General Sherman have been accepted?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Oh and I forgot, I would totally watch that podcast by that woman on the show tonight and her sister!!  I seriously was hoping they'd give it a plug and say what it was called. 

https://twitter.com/thesweetieclub I may give it a listen, too!

4 hours ago, secnarf said:

I also said stalemate rather than draw - I think that would have been accepted?

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Is he that young?  [35]

I think a stalemate and draw are different, but stalemates are treated as draws, so it probably would have been accepted.

In Austin's story yesterday (?) he mentioned a '78 Austin car and that he is also a '78 Austin, so he's 38/39.

• Love 3

Just when I was starting to like Austin he has to be obnoxious in his intro. But he was very toned down for the rest of the game so he was back in my good graces. I loved Robert's accent, and he was handsome. Liked Emily also. Too bad they couldn't have been more competition for Austin.

TS I got were TransUnion, fork, Chicago 7. 

At first my brain just glazed over FJ as it tends to do when the clue seems more like a word problem about speeds of passing trains. But I decided to read it carefully and once I did it was an instaget. 

6 hours ago, Jesse said:

Aw, the Guinness thing was cute!

It really was! WTG Johnny! I'll bet Alex won't be far behind. Not in a googling mood, but I think Bob Barker hosted The Price is Right for longer than 34 years. 

5 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Smug Chewbacca

Best nickname ever!

5 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

(Who's a bartender in NYC but oddly didn't know yesterday which Ivy League school is on 116th Street.)  Now I really want to know where he tends bar.

He also didn't know about the Chilean? Colombian? corn liquor the other day. I didn't either, but I'm not a bartender. Guess the Brooklyn hipsters haven't discovered South American corn liquors yet. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

He also seemed to be dancing a little bit to the Final Jeopardy music -- he obviously wrote down his answer super quickly, not surprisingly since he's from NY.

Hey, I found Austin on Instagram and Twitter, in case anyone wants to check out his social media accounts.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

It really was! WTG Johnny! I'll bet Alex won't be far behind. Not in a googling mood, but I think Bob Barker hosted The Price is Right for longer than 34 years. 

So indeed-- Bob did it for 35 on TPIR (1972-2007).

• Love 3
11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Alex was pretty judgy during two of the three interviews. First he called the history teacher's students strange for making a "Robert Barron/Robber Baron" pun, then he said the woman and her sister were weird for making videos about 80's and 90's movies. The Goonies reference went right over Alex's head.

I thought he was going to do a "bit" and call each of them weird. I don't recall if he said anything like that to Austin in the interviews, but iirc (boy, the memory fades fast these days) he said something along those lines when he introduced Austin. Or maybe I just thought it while watching Austin's ... whatever that was.

5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I just plain don't like runaway games - I want everyone to have a chance to show their betting skills in the DJ's and FJ's.

I don't either, even when I love a contestant. I want to feel they're close to having it in the bag, but not so much that FJ doesn't matter.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I just plain don't like runaway games - I want everyone to have a chance to show their betting skills in the DJ's and FJ's.

I agree. I was really impressed at the way the other two contestants pulled themselves out of the red, and I wish they had made it a closer game.

Very surprised no one got heptagon. That, and regret, seemed insanely easy.

• Love 2

As far as Transunion goes, every adult in the USA should know it, Experian and Equifax. These 3 are the true masters of our universe and we seriously need to keep tabs on what they're doing to/with our financial histories.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

So indeed-- Bob did it for 35 on TPIR (1972-2007).

What about Pat on Wheel of Fortune?  Wheel started a year before Jeopardy, but I don't recall if Pat did the show the whole time. 

I know they tried to find a different host at one time but I think that may have just been for a daytime show. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Chuck Woolery had daytime Wheel for some years when it first started. Back when you couldn't keep the money, you had to buy terrible cheesy overpriced crap (ceramic dog, anyone? Is that you raising your hand, Mr Tribbiani?)

God, I remember that dog. Hated that dog. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

He also didn't know about the Chilean? Colombian? corn liquor the other day. I didn't either, but I'm not a bartender. Guess the Brooklyn hipsters haven't discovered South American corn liquors yet. 

Haha, when they do, I will think of you predicting it!

58 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

As far as Transunion goes, every adult in the USA should know it, Experian and Equifax. These 3 are the true masters of our universe and we seriously need to keep tabs on what they're doing to/with our financial histories.

Also Innovis!

Austin had some bad guesses. Of course, he was in a great position to make those bad guesses, but income tax instead of poll tax?

• Love 4

I know those prizes were awful on the old Wheel!

According to Wikipedia at least Sajak took over as host in 1983 of the daytime and night time syndicated versions and left the daytime version in 1989. 

Alex took over Jeopardy a year later in 1984. 

But then again per Wikipedia, it states Alex already broke the record for most episodes of a game show hosted, in 2014 :

"On June 13, 2014, Guinness World Records presented Alex with the world record for most episodes of a game show hosted, with 6,829 episodes at the time.[17]"

Jeopardy may have more shows in a year that Wheel or TPIR did. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

On June 13, 2014, Guinness World Records presented Alex with the world record for most episodes of a game show hosted, with 6,829 episodes at the time.[17]"

41 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Jeopardy may have more shows in a year that Wheel or TPIR did. 

Or maybe it included all the games shows he's hosted??? (Wizard of Odds & Double Dare to name 2)

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Or maybe it included all the games shows he's hosted??? (Wizard of Odds & Double Dare to name 2)

I saw an episode of Double Dare (not the iconic Marc Summers version) on Buzzr. The contestant looked like he was snorting cocaine during it. It was a bizarre show. I much preferred Classic Concentration for shows hosted by Trebek.  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, teebax said:

I had the exact same question. Do any of you get this reference?

I didn't get it either, but it seems to be a reference to "a tie is like kissing your sister," supposedly attributed to Navy football coach Eddie Erdelatz in 1954. http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=241965 & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tie_(draw)#cite_ref-2

I think the clue wording didn't make it clear whose sister was being talked about. I remember thinking Player1 was going to kiss Player2's sister, so it didn't fit with the quote, which I had heard before. Maybe it would have come to mind with better wording.

• Love 5

Double grr, adding to my previous grr of yesterday -- I guess bloody football ran long?  All I got with my DVR was Colbert!  No Thursday Jeopardy! for me!

So, since I missed the whole thing, what was the deal with Johnny Gilbert?

ETA: Never mind -- found it on jeopardy.com.  Yay, Johnny!

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Amen to this. Every year I take advantage of the free credit report that these three are required to give you AND I created logins for my deceased parents and I check their credit reports, too. I hear horror stories about scumbags opening credit under dead people's names.

• Love 2

The "kissing your sister" reference, as mentioned, is a common sports phrase used to describe a tie.  A tie, or stalemate, is like kissing your sister, not desirable. 

Unless you are big soccer fan I guess.  Doesn't always apply there.  They like times sometimes

I got the reference and figured it out 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Double grr, adding to my previous grr of yesterday -- I guess bloody football ran long?  All I got with my DVR was Colbert!  No Thursday Jeopardy! for me!

So, since I missed the whole thing, what was the deal with Johnny Gilbert?

ETA: Never mind -- found it on jeopardy.com.  Yay, Johnny!

Yeah, football had a weather delay last night. So it took extra forever.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

Longest career announcer for one show. He's done it since syndicated Jeopardy! started. He's 93! Amazing!

And I'm sure that he knows J! inside and out, having been there more than 30 years strong, just like Alex.

• Love 1

I can't stand the obnoxious Austin, and it irritates me that he is smart -- and quick on the buzzer. He needs to hook up with Dancing Jennifer from a couple seasons ago, then disappear. I might have to stab my eyes out if/when he's on TOC.

• Love 4

oh please, oh please don't let justin win again.  can't stand him

58 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I can't stand the obnoxious Austin, and it irritates me that he is smart -- and quick on the buzzer. He needs to hook up with Dancing Jennifer from a couple seasons ago, then disappear. I might have to stab my eyes out if/when he's on TOC.

1000 hearts to you!

• Love 2

I think Austin saw how loathed Matt Jackson was on these boards and said "hold my beer." LOL

For the record, after careful deliberation I've decided I find Austin's eccentricity mildly charming. I reserve the right to change my opinion to "FUCK THIS HIPSTER BITCH" at any time, and probably will if he lasts another week ;)

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Psychiatry should not be a TS on adult Jeopardy!

Definitely not!  For the record, I got it, and I can spell it, too, Alex.

There is no hope for Austin if he doesn't like The Eagles.  Mind you, I didn't think there was any hope for him prior to his saying that, but that just cemented it.

In addition to psychiatry, I also got Swiss and Marion Zimmer Bradley.  I wasn't paying 100% attention to the game, though, because Austin bugs so much.

FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Fex said:

Yeah, WOW.

Austin must have been kicking himself for calling Raul Castro "Ramone"!

I LOL'd. And thought of Romy and Michele. "Is that an earthquake? No! It's RRRRRRRRAMON!"

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 5

Ha!  Alex Jacob tweeted this -

I always know someone's making a splash on @Jeopardy when the don't-worry-you're-still-my-fav tweets start coming in. Thanks guys, much love

Um seriously he'll never be in Alex's league.

• Love 9

No, Alex, Smug Chewbacca is not "a lot of fun".  He's an insufferable douche.  I actually threw a pillow at my TV when he danced during that DD.  And he doesn't like The Eagles?  Ass clown.  However, he doesn't seem to know anything about the Renaissance or NYC (even I got the 2nd Avenue subway station) so hopefully they'll have more categories devoted to those subjects.  I was rooting for Jim (he's from my town) until he started in the middle of categories.  And our elevation is 5,280 ft., not 5,283 ft (his FJ wager).  I was praying Colin would win.

I got Swiss and psychiatry.

FJ was an instaget.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
Actually, Aurora, Colorado's elevation is 5,471 ft. So there, Jim.
  • Love 7