Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got quite a few TS compared to what I have been getting lately: Sally Field (wasn't she a TS last season also?), plantations, room temperature, Obama, Nixon, reactive. 

For FJ I got stuck on Siberia before realizing - duh! - not a country.

Diana's dog story was really cute.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I would not want him taking over for Alex.  I know that was probably a joke, but I don't like him that well. 

Even if Austin wins another 50 games (doubtful), Ken Jennings has been mentioned numerous times as the obvious choice to take over for Trebek when he retires. I mean, Ken has made a career out of being a trivia expert. And most people find him likable. Based on his GMA appearance, Austin seems to enjoy being polarizing.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, trow125 said:

Even if Austin wins another 50 games (doubtful), Ken Jennings has been mentioned numerous times as the obvious choice to take over for Trebek when he retires. I mean, Ken has made a career out of being a trivia expert. And most people find him likable. Based on his GMA appearance, Austin seems to enjoy being polarizing.

I wouldn't mind Ken Jennings taking over and could see him has host. 

I always liked Ken.  Seemed very humble and down to earth, and likeable, in his appearances. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Barb1959 said:

I don't find him annoying (Austin) but I do think he is quirky...but then I like quirky.

I like quirky also, but he crosses the quirky-to-annoying line a little too often for my tastes. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Re: Obama/Hawaii, I just plum forgot about Hawaii. No offense, Hawaii, you're just so far away and little :-P

It's bigger than Massachusetts, NJ and 5 other States but I do agree it frequently gets forgetten.

• Love 1

I always liked Ken.  Seemed very humble and down to earth, and likeable, in his appearances. 

He is in person also.  That's the thing - I didn't mind losing to Ken (well, I did but you know what i mean) but I would have hated losing to Austin. 

• Love 8

Would Austin have spelled "sherbet" correctly if it were a FJ answer? "What is ... sherBERT! That's how we spell it in New York." Yes, I'm still dwelling on that.

M.Darcy: "I am not worthy!" You were in the realm of real greatness having played with Mr. Jenning. Lucky -- and unlucky -- you, at the same time!

I meant Jennings with an 's.' I obviously am NOT worthy.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Would Austin have spelled "sherbet" correctly if it were a FJ answer? "What is ... sherBERT! That's how we spell it in New York." Yes, I'm still dwelling on that.

I would have spelled it wrong. 

I am sort of hipster-lite so I kind of dig Austin's look. Though on his Twitter he has shorter hair and some clean shaven pics. I do like his live tweeting the episodes.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 2

Someone upthread posted that Austin had two months of rest. I don't have a clue when that was or what that means. I just interpret it as he's not in this year's TOC. And since I could be dead before the 2018 TOC, that works for me. I'm looking forward to people playing who aren't self-absorbed look-at-me tools. I loved the tournament with Alex, Matt and Kerry, three of my favorite players. (I don't mind board jumpers.)

• Love 3

Not a fun game to watch since neither competitor seemed willing to compete. Rain should've bet it all for her DD, not that it would've mattered. 

I got Texas, chardonnay, certified check, kiting, Christian Science, edam, and missed FJ.

• Love 5

God, Austin is insufferable.  I liked Rain, and was hoping she'd do better.  Alas.

Surprised they all missed Texas and Christian Science -- those seemed obvious to me.  I also got bunting, kiting and goji berries.  I can't believe the judges even considered flying for kiting!  There is no such thing as flying a check.

I was clueless on FJ.

• Love 5

I got kiting, 2008, Christian Science, brioche and edam. Thanks to Mr. Chevious being a Bond fan & his relentless watching of Bond-a-thons on TV, I ran the Bond category. Osmosis, I guess. Got FJ tonight too. 

Hope they get some actual competition for Austin. Tonight's two other contestants seemed like nice people, but nice doesn't always get you Jeopardy wins. We need someone with a huge competitive streak. 

• Love 3

"Yeah, yeah, $2,000".  STFU, you smug tool.  That Typhoid Mary DD was way too easy.

I got Texas, bunting, certified check, kiting, 2008, Christian Science, Edam, and goji berry.

Yo, Alex!  Gouda isn't pronounced goo-da, it's pronounced houw-da.  Take that, you multi-lingual expert.  Ha!

I wild assed guessed Wales for FJ.  When Alex said, "Julius Caesar" I knew what it was and smacked my head.

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Someone upthread posted that Austin had two months of rest. I don't have a clue when that was or what that means. I just interpret it as he's not in this year's TOC. And since I could be dead before the 2018 TOC, that works for me.

Apparently Jeopardy filmed all of the season 34 episodes that aired before today at the end of season 33 because of the potential for a writers' strike. The show wanted to have a good number of new episodes to air in case they had to shut down for a while. So the long break in filming that Austin had just before this show was the summer break. I believe the TOC only filmed fairly recently. It airs starting Nov. 6.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Fex said:

I knew FJ from reading Asterix comics!

Me too! (Usually I just know things from reading mysteries, like Sookie Stackhouse.)

I was surprised at a lot of the TSes tonight.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Me too! (Usually I just know things from reading mysteries, like Sookie Stackhouse.)

I was surprised at a lot of the TSes tonight.

I was surprised that two out of three missed FJ. I know people don't read Julius Caesar the way they used to, but "all Gaul is divided into three parts" always seemed like one of those quotes even the Latin-less know, on a par with "carpe diem."

• Love 5

Typhoid Mary ... what, is this Jeopardy! Grade School Edition? Everything was so easy. And the woman only wagering $2,000 on the DD was brainless, since she was obviously going to come in second. So why not go for broke since the DD have all been no-brainers anyway ... like hers was. I would crack up if the two new contestants (yes, contestants, not "victims" as Austin calls them) do mime acts during their intros tomorrow. I'm also not sure what it says about me that I know about kiting a check. That was easy peasy.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I was surprised that two out of three missed FJ. I know people don't read Julius Caesar the way they used to, but "all Gaul is divided into three parts" always seemed like one of those quotes even the Latin-less know, on a par with "carpe diem."

I know CarpeDiem54... :)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

"Yo, Alex!  Gouda isn't pronounced goo-da, it's pronounced houw-da.  Take that, you multi-lingual expert.  Ha!

Alex missed a golden opportunity. Or should I say, a GOUDA opportunity. OK, I shouldn't.

26 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I had no idea about this. I guess it's a big area of ignorance for me. I don't know if I've ever heard "all Gaul is divided into three parts." I need to check out a Cliff Notes for the subject.

I liked Rich and Rain, not only because their names went together well. It almost sounds like an expression of some sort. "Things going ok for you, Bob?" "Oh you know. Rich and rain, rich and rain."

Anyway, Rich's comment that he wasn't "Thumb-y" enough to win was cute. I also liked his FJ answer: "I had fun."

My TSs were Texas, chardonnay, Christian Science, brioche, and edam (and weep... Sorry. I feel goofy. Or Thumby.) I couldn't think of goji berry. I bought a bag of them from HomeGoods one time. They were ok. Didn't get me excited. Oh, and I also got the DD of Monument Valley.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

As someone who has never read Julius Caesar and never heard the quote...it's definitely not on par with carpe diem, which is almost annoying in how frequently it is used.

• Love 6

I didn't know FJ.  I have read Julius Caesar, but it was about 30 years ago and that doesn't not stick out in my mind about the story. 

Austin was more annoying than normal tonight.  Bad jokes and high fiving Alex?  He is not as cool as he thinks he is.

At least he got a haircut.   

I still can't figure out what was meant by that Frogger clue in Video games, even though I got the right answer. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I still can't figure out what was meant by that Frogger clue in Video games, even though I got the right answer. 

"The Dog Policeman" is the theme song to Frogger. I didn't find it helpful for the clue either. I never realized it had another name until I looked it up. It's not like "Korobeiniki" which was already a famous Russian folk song before it was the Tetris theme.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I didn't know FJ.  I have read Julius Caesar, but it was about 30 years ago and that doesn't not stick out in my mind about the story. 

Just to clarify, it's not the Shakespearean play. It's Caesar's own writing, Commentaries on the Gallic War. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

"The Dog Policeman" is the theme song to Frogger. I didn't find it helpful for the clue either. I never realized it had another name until I looked it up. It's not like "Korobeiniki" which was already a famous Russian folk song before it was the Tetris theme.

Just to clarify, it's not the Shakespearean play. It's Caesar's own writing, Commentaries on the Gallic War. 

Well that would be why I don't know it then.  I certainly never read Caesars own writing. 

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Ha!  I knew I was right in disliking Austin.  He didn't know Pride and Prejudice and Mr. Darcy.

They were all missing such easy questions on last night's show. Jeez. 

Yes but he was on the right track, just picked the wrong well known Jane Austen 3 word title

• Love 3

Austin got a very long break in filming here (at least 2 months).

Ah, that explains his haircut and beard trim. He looks much better (and definitely less fatigued), and yes, I've seen his Twitter pic where he's beardless. He's actually a good looking dude.

I bartended and waited tables at night for many years, writing my books during the day --- you wouldn't believe how many years it takes to be self-supporting, even after publication --- so I tend to root for bartenders (and servers), and although I know he's polarizing on this forum, I like and admire Austin. As far as I'm concerned, he can get another "break" during the TOC and keep winning.

I wonder how many marriage proposals he's received.

• Love 7

All the categories from the Double Jeopardy round on Monday were from Ken Jennings's appearance on the Simpsons last year.   They were the categories shown in the class Ken was teaching using Jeopardy. 

(I'm not that big of a nerd that I knew that myself - Jeopardy just tweeted it.) 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

All the categories from the Double Jeopardy round on Monday were from Ken Jennings's appearance on the Simpsons last year.   They were the categories shown in the class Ken was teaching using Jeopardy. 

(I'm not that big of a nerd that I knew that myself - Jeopardy just tweeted it.) 

I have never seen The Simpsons, so thanks for that information. 

• Love 3

I agree with @Mystery Author that Austin is quite good looking and the shorter hair and beard trim makes that more evident.

The other two contestants just weren't up to Austin's standards, at least in this game, plus he was the only one to get FJ, so he deserved the win.

I know I got quite a few ts's but I've been neglecting to write them down lately and now I forget them:)

Re FJ, Celts made me think of British Isles (where does the word 'British' come from, anyhow) but the other two groups are French so I quickly got to Gaul.

I am looking forward to tonight's game.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Re FJ, Celts made me think of British Isles (where does the word 'British' come from, anyhow) but the other two groups are French so I quickly got to Gaul.

I am looking forward to tonight's game.

British comes from Britannia, the Roman name for the place, which in turn came from Old French Bretaigne.

Tonight's game was pre-empted here by the New Jersey Gubernatorial Candidates Debate, but I looked up the outcome on thejeopardyfan,com.

• Love 3

Did Alex really just introduce Austin as "Austin Rivers" in the interview segment? I've rewound it three times , and that's what I'm hearing.

Well, damn...he did it again!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Tunia said:

Did Alex really just introduce Austin as "Austin Rivers" in the interview segment? I've rewound it three times , and that's what I'm hearing.

Yep! He addresses it right before FJ and corrects to "Rogers." Oh, Alex.

• Love 3