Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E21: Dwayne Johnson / Katy Perry

• Start Topic

It's Bobby and Vanessa's last show. We haven't gotten drunk Uncle in a while. And hopefully we get one more Jennifer Aniston impression. I'll be shocked if either get a special salute like Wiig did, even both were much more enjoyable. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Cold Open: Since the show will be gone for the summer, who knows what's gonna happen, so let's repeat the "Hallelujah" cold open with Team Trump. Already loving it. And surprise ScarJo cameo!

Monologue: The Rock never disappoints, and tonight was no exception. And yes, as I predicted last week Alec Baldwin is on hand to induct him into the Five Timers Club. Loved seeing Tom Hanks show up. And The Rock/David S. Pumpkins 2020 is something I'll vote for right now. And that is an unstoppable team right there.

Cartier Fidget Spinner: Fuck, I loved this. Loved Vanessa in this so much, I know many a woman like her. 

Wrestlemania Promos: The Rock as Koko B. Ware & Bobby as Junkyard Dog. Okay, but it got so much better. I know we've seen this sketch before. Bobby imitating Katy Perry? Gold. 

One Voice: This was great, I love sketches that use the whole cast. And Katy Perry. And David S. Pumpkins?! MY heart exploded at that one. I knew they'd bring him back once Tom Hanks showed up. Skiffle should've been Riblet, though. That was a missed opportunity.

Scorpio: I knew that the joke would be the costume, but I liked it. This one was for the ladies.

Jurassic Park Ride: Oh, it's Gemma the British Lady again. And she had a cute pig! The Rock was the first boyfriend we saw her with, right? Getting pelted with water is, again, another great sendoff for Vanessa.

Xentrex: Dwayne talking for Kyle was great. Wouldn't be an episode with Dwayne Johnson beating the crap out of someone, especially while advertising something (see: Nicotrel)

Katy Perry 1: Liked the beat. Beetlejuice & Slim Goodbody host a fashion show? It's what I imagined what a night in one of Stefon's clubs looked like.

WU: Who are you going to believe: the head of the FBI or the guy who's definitely lying? "If he wanted to avoid Trump, he should have married him." Snap. Loved seeing Dawn Lazarus getting a send off! And so did Drunk Uncle!

RKO: I usually don't care for fart jokes, but the duck fart sounds (and Dwayne & Vanessa's faces) kind of saved it for me.

Mad Scientist Society: A child-molesting robot is the most evil invention in the world. Didn't see THAT coming. And The Rock's character looked so innocent. The fact that it was all an ad for White Castle (my favorite sandwich restaurant)? GOLD. Now that's a punchline.

Katy Perry 2: Again, liked the beat. Meh.

Wingman: Odd, funny sketch. There's been so much Vanessa and Bobby tonight, I love that. I'm gonna miss Bobby the most, his small role was great.

Seniors: So depressingly funny. The sad dab and zooming in on Leslie Jones were the best. Too short.

So that's it. It's been a fun ride, see you all in the fall!

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 16

David S Pumpkins always and forever! 

Dwayne did a good job. I don't have a great memory of his past SNL skirts but he made me laugh a lot tonight. The moment during the "too many people are on this track" and he kept shouting No! to let them stay. I also liked the fashion designer superhero. 

Aw Drunk Uncle. My favorite drunk uncle was one during a Christmas episode I think and Drunk Uncle is rambling about something and then just randomly goes "every kiss begins with Kay".

Also damn, Johnson and Hanks 2020 it is, and that's what I wish for right now.

• Love 9

Overall, I enjoyed this episode.  Loved Tom Hanks and Scarlett dropping in.  Can't go wrong with David S. Pumpkins - ever!!  It was great seeing Vanessa and Bobby used in so many sketches tonight.  And I liked Katy Perry.  I think the movie skit and the bar pick-up skit were my least favorites.  

Can we just install Johnson - Hanks in office right now?  Please??

Pretty good season.  Thanks to @Galileo908 for your wonderful, instant recaps every week!!

• Love 6
(edited)

Honestly I'm just very happy that both Bobby and Vanessa got the great send offs they both deserved. You can tell both are loved.

Wish the goodbyes were longer, but I have a feeling Bobby especially would had gotten emotional. Still great to see Pete, Che, etc pointing at him.

The graduation sketch was such a tease. I thought it was going to be a Wiig-type goodbye.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 12
16 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

One Voice: This was great, I love sketches that use the whole cast. And Katy Perry. And David S. Pumpkins?! MY heart exploded at that one. I knew they'd bring him back once Tom Hanks showed up. Skiffle should've been Riblet, though. That was a missed opportunity.

Aaaaand now I'm sad it wasn't Ass Dan.

• Love 8

The kid was too cool to make any faces. You have to look like you don't care. Even when you're flailing around like an out of control advertisement balloon. Katy looked like such a dork in her second song with her little hand movements and bouncing around with Migos. Yeah girl, you're supa fly. I did like her hair though. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Katy Perry 1: Liked the beat. Beetlejuice & Slim Goodbody host a fashion show? It's what I imagined what a night in one of Stefon's clubs looked like.

BTW isn't this the song that is one long dig at Taylor Swift?  It did make me laugh even though it's pretty dumb. Swish Swish. Such a bwish.

Ok then.

• Love 3
(edited)

Cold Opening: Full Disclosure - I'm one of few people who thought the Chappelle episode Cold Open was a little too much despite being a liberal and just as pissed about Trump winning. So I kind of take this as them kind of both making fun of themselves and making fun of Trump. Maybe I shouldn't read it that way but that's how I read it. I enjoyed this. 

Monologue: Tom Hanks! And I would totally vote Johnson/Hanks 2020...I mean barring them having some good ideas and policies. They certainly are better than Trump. This was enjoyable. 

Cartier Spinner: I've heard about spinners but I'm not well versed in it. I do know people like Vanessa's character though so I got this.

Wrestlemania Promo: I think the thing that made me laugh the hardest was actually how quickly Beck's announcer guy went from his phone to full-on announcer voice. Plus the whole Twins reveal was amusing. Also, this was an odd one to bring back but it was alright.

One Voice: I love their tackling of how a lot of pop songs are like 40 people onto one single. I really thought Skiffle was going to be Ass Dan or Riblet. That would've been great. However, David S. Pimpkins completely brought this up about three levels in my book. 

Scorpio: Someone clearly has the same sense of humor as I do because this was right up my alley. I loved the whole veering into fashion critiquing. All that was missing was a Tim Gunn cameo, honestly. This was just enjoyable and really hit my funny bone. 

Jurassic Park Ride: Also another character to bring back that was strange. Also wasn't Gemma with another guy that Kenan's character knew? Why has nobody lampshaded this?! I was waiting for them to lampshade it but yet, nothing came of it! Come on, guys! This was okay but could've been better. 

Xentrex: Once again, someone clearly has the same sense of humor as I do because this was also right up my alley. I can't entirely remember the sketch but it reminds me of a sketch that was done in the late 80s that involved Roseanne and Phil Hartman. Roseanne was a customer service rep or something and was being super rude and then Phil would counter with like a more G-rated version of her stuff. One thing was like "I told him to do this or take it and shove it up his ass" and then Phil saying "She gave me several options..." I think it's just the weird storytelling of it was just that got me. Greatly enjoyed this one.

Weekend Update: This was pretty good tonight. I was hoping for Jacob the Bar Mitzvah Boy to get a proper sendoff. Dawn Lazarus was a strange option. However, seeing Drunk Uncle one final time was my one request. I bet Colin and Michael are seriously pissed that the season is ending with everything that's been going on.

RKO: Ehh...it was for cheap laughs and it kind of got me a couple times. Nothing great though. 

Mad Scientists: Once again, someone with the same sense of humor as me was totally writing this show tonight because this was also right up my alley. I just loved how over the line Dwayne got and then how it randomly turned into an ad for White Castle. And just how bizarre it was altogether. 

Wingman: This was alright. Felt like a sort of "we got like 2 minutes to kill, let's just go with this stupid idea someone had for the hell of it"

Seniors: This was kind of lame and felt like a tease. I thought it was going to be something much more pomp and circumstance. Like the way that Wiig was sent off, Fallon was sent off or Armisen and Hader were sent off. And how Kenan will inevitably be sent off. But it just kind of fell flat. Then again, Bayer and Moynihan were never any of Lorne's Favorites (TM) so they'd never get that. However, I couldn't help but be distracted by the presence of Kyle and Beck. Are they leaving too?! I mean Kyle I could almost get but Beck seems like someone they'd want to keep around for the presidency. Well I hope neither are leaving. Maybe the West Coast viewing will be a bit less lame?

This show was pretty great but not the best episode by any shot. Some stuff just fell flat. 

Edit: I also heard that Sasheer Zamata is leaving too?! I know she didn't do a whole lot but you'd think she'd get some kind of sendoff too!

Edited by Bees
  • Love 2
(edited)

I thought that it was a lot of fun.  I remember posting after the Tom Hanks episode that I didn't think that David S. Pumpkins was as funny as something like Kevin Roberts, but I love how David S. Pumpkins has taken on such a life of its own. Like most recently before tonight, I saw a HISHE video on YouTube that had Superman and Batman riffing on it while talking about the new Star Wars trailer (and I think I was just plain wrong about how funny the original sketch was, because let's face it, it is great).  So when I saw David S. Pumpkins pop up tonight, I did squeal with delight, just like audience did.  I read that Bobby co-wrote the original sketch, so nice additional tribute to him for his last show.

Like others upthread, I was expecting Ass Dan for half a second in the music sketch.  Fun that the whole cast (or nearly the whole cast) got in on that.

I thought that the cold open was hilarious, perfect end to a fraught political year.  I was also amazed that they could quick-change Alec out of his makeup so quickly for the monologue.  Re: the five-timer thing, at first, I thought that they were going to go the direction of that one Ben Affleck-hosted episode, where Ben pretended to be expecting pomp and circumstance, but it was right after someone else had become one, and whatever they did for Ben ended up as an afterthought (IIRC), so when they actually made a big deal here and had Hanks show up for it, it was a fun treat.  I liked the preview of the future about how Hanks will make inspirational speeches and draw on his extensive military (acting) experience while the Rock will save Cali from falling off into the ocean.  I can get behind that platform.

I tried to like your summary, Galileo, but I got a message that said I can't "like content by this user", even though it let me like your second post. Oh well.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I guess that shows how out of touch I am with today's music and dancing skills. Is this best you could do, Lorne?

I'd say it wasn't Ashlee Simpson level but at least that entertained me. Nothing against SNL booking her, as she is a big name (for now, anyway), but it was one of the most embarrassing performances I've seen on this show. "Another one in the basket...another one in the casket" and "swish swish bish" and the most blatant use of drag queens as window dressing and a sideshow I've ever seen (not helped by one of them looking just like John Candy's Divine impersonation). 

At first I hoped it was a Kate McKinnon parody but one look into those dead eyes told me it was all too real.

She's becoming a better cautionary tale for fame than the umpteenth A Star is Born remake ever could. 

• Love 4

Man, I really wanted The Rock Obama to show up in the opening and beat some ass. Still, I had to laugh at the Hallejuah spoof.

Johnson/Hanks 2020! Oh would that were true...

That little pig was adorable.

So long, Drunk Uncle. Would have been fun if Vanessa did one last Miley Cyrus show.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, vb68 said:

BTW isn't this the song that is one long dig at Taylor Swift?  It did make me laugh even though it's pretty dumb. Swish Swish. Such a bwish.

Ok then.

Yeah, how is this a dig at Taylor Swift exactly ?  Because I'm not getting it either.

5 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I guess that shows how out of touch I am with today's music and dancing skills. Is this best you could do, Lorne?

I think Haim from last week was better, and that's not saying much.

2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I'd say it wasn't Ashlee Simpson level but at least that entertained me. Nothing against SNL booking her, as she is a big name (for now, anyway), but it was one of the most embarrassing performances I've seen on this show. "Another one in the basket...another one in the casket" and "swish swish bish" and the most blatant use of drag queens as window dressing and a sideshow I've ever seen (not helped by one of them looking just like John Candy's Divine impersonation). 

She's becoming a better cautionary tale for fame than the umpteenth A Star is Born remake ever could. 

It was like Katy Perry was ripping off Madonna's Vogue period music and background dancers while dressing like Miley Cyrus, compete with her haircut

And the lyrics in the first song were baffling -- I thought the lyrics were "swish swish fish another one in the basket" but that also doesn't make a whole lot of sense either.

I don't get the kid either -- was he a featured dancer, because it was kind of lame.  Again, did Lorne lose a bet ?

• Love 2

I'm surprised Jimmy Fallon didn't show up as Jared Kushner in the opening.  As mentioned above I was also expecting the Rock Obama to make an appearance.  I feel like the show really missed out on the tension between Obama and Trump.

• Love 2

Count me as another who was disappointed The Rock Obama didn't show up. I thought for sure we'd at least see a pre-filmed segment with The Rock kitesurfing.

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Fabricationary said:

So Vanessa and Bobby are leaving, but why were Beck and Kyle also prominently featured in the graduation skit?  Are they leaving also (and if so, can they take Aidy with them)?

Yeah this worried me because Beck has grown on me (Putin!)and I've always liked Kyle's offbeat stuff.

I'm surprised Jimmy Fallon didn't show up as Jared Kushner in the opening. 

Didn't even think of this, but thank goodness it didn't happen. He probably would have broke.

I never got the appeal of David S. Pumpkins but damn if I didn't laugh out loud when he showed up.

The tag line of Whirligig was so gratifying. I always wonder about these guys with these horrible girlfriends and now the mystery is solved, although I seriously doubt sex would be great with such a vapid selfish shithead.

Also never got the SNL weather reporter, but I loled when she said, "No more goddamn rain!" so cheerfully.

As for the "swish swish" song, the rumors are Perry is singing about archenemy Taylor Swift. They have a feud going on for years; TS's "Bad Blood" is about Perry.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Fabricationary said:

So Vanessa and Bobby are leaving, but why were Beck and Kyle also prominently featured in the graduation skit?  Are they leaving also (and if so, can they take Aidy with them)?

I love Aidy!

• Love 21
9 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Who's that blank-faced weirdo kid with the backpack in Perry's first song? He looked bored to death, especially in the goodbyes. Is he somebody Perry knows or is he just bizarre window dressing...?

Hard to explain....He's a Vine "star" who is known for dancing like that. That's his thing. I can't remember his name, but, I'll try to post a video.

Here is one: 

The last thing I saw as I was going to sleep was the very beginning of Katy's performance. I remember thinking: "Why is Katy Perry dressed like Beetlejuice?"

I just watched the video of that performance. Katy Perry is the least interesting performer in it. I was so thrilled to recognize some of the Drag Queens, especially VIVACIOUS from RuPaul's Drag Race. Go, Ornacia's Mom!

• Love 3

I don't think there's any danger of Beck or Kyle leaving, but these pictures of Sasheer being carried by the cast (along with Bobby and Vanessa) are a little more telling. Not sure why they would have given her the same special treatment unless she's thinking of leaving too.

When you think about it, Vanessa and Bobby are long-running cast members and thus Sasheer probably wouldn't get the same treatment as them if this is her last episode. She'd be like Abby Elliot, just gone next season without any real explanation.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

I don't think there's any danger of Beck or Kyle leaving, but these pictures of Sasheer being carried by the cast (along with Bobby and Vanessa) are a little more telling. Not sure why they would have given her the same special treatment unless she's thinking of leaving too.

When you think about it, Vanessa and Bobby are long-running cast members and thus Sasheer probably wouldn't get the same treatment as them if this is her last episode. She'd be like Abby Elliot, just gone next season without any real explanation.

That's definitely interesting!  I didn't keep stats, but it seemed like Sasheer was in a ton of sketches last night - a lot more than usual.

It's rare I watch the musical guests. If I'm watching live, the first song is when I pee, turn off stuff around the house, move from the living room to the bedroom, and settle in to watch Weekend Update and the rest of the show from bed (the second song is for channel surfing). If I've recorded it, I just fast forward and ignore it. But I'm not even sure what the hell I just fast forwarded thru with Katy Perry. It looked just ridiculous and insane and so far from legit talent, I was just was baffled. And hell, this is coming from me and I enjoyed her shark dance Superbowl show. I will say, it was actually fun to watch on fast forward, it looked like an SNL skit!

What do we need to do to make Johnson/Hanks happen? I'd settle for either one on their own too. I loved the cold open, all that it was missing was Spicey. Overall, I thought it was a good show, a nice send off for Bobby and Vanessa. I just wish Vanessa's Update bit was Jacob or the child actress and not the weather lady. And I agree, Bobby should have been Riblet in the music bit. If it was Sasheer's last show too, I wouldn't be surprised. She's just kind of there at this point, hasn't been in a lot of sketches, but always seems liked by the cast. Personally, I'd like to see Melissa go instead. I don't find her funny and her impressions aren't as good as they're chalked up to being and I want to rip my ears off when I hear her voice.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was laughing at the finale's cold open as much as I was crying when Kate did it last November. Brilliant.

The return of WWE promo and Jemma weren't as good as last time the Rock hosted but since it's Bobby and Vanessa's last show it was good to see them in as many sketches as possible.

The only thing I have to say about the Scorpio sketch is Cecily looked great in it.

I've just heard about these "fidget spinner" things. Man I could used that when I was a kid!

The mad scientist sketch was edgy but it made me laugh. The cartoon mad scientists with their "evil" inventions like a shrinking ray and freeze gun being horrified by the Rock's scientist inventing a child molesting robot.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
(edited)

Posting Mike Ryan's scorecard mainly for people to read about how sweet Bobby is in real life. He sounds like the kind of guy who goes out of his way to treat people with kindness. Plus I find it very amusing that there is still a note from Chris Farley up to watch out for that beam!  .

16 hours ago, Bees said:

I was hoping for Jacob the Bar Mitzvah Boy to get a proper sendoff.

Jacob did get a proper sendoff-- in the Jimmy Fallon episode. I knew Vanessa was leaving then.  Maybe it was subtle, but she was saying goodbye in anticipation of the writers' strike that didn't happen. 

6 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

If it was Sasheer's last show too, I wouldn't be surprised. She's just kind of there at this point, hasn't been in a lot of sketches, but always seems liked by the cast. Personally, I'd like to see Melissa go instead.

I wouldn't be surprised about Sasheer either, but it's very disappointing. I finally felt she was coming into her own in the last few episodes. And I think Melissa is toast. She didn't really do anything that would be missed. She reminds me of Brooks Wheelan and/or Rudnitsky except she never got got that big Update showcase even with all her impressions. That's very telling. 

Oh and I meant to mention that it never fails to amuse me when Che calls Trump "honey".  I think it's a bit under the radar as I never see anyone take note of it, but I love it. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

The Rock was so good and blandly creepy in the "Mad Scientist" sketch.  

Did not understand either of Katy Perry's songs, although I missed a lot of song#1 once I decided it looked too weird for me.  

It would have been great to see a Myley Cyrus show one more time.

I wondered if whoever was making the fart sounds threw in a couple "new" ones to make Vanessa break.  

I enjoyed the episode a lot.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, opus said:

A Google search gave me:

>>Swish, swish, bish
Another one in the basket<<

Don't get "bish", but the rest could be a basketball reference

But then the next line is something along the lines of something, something, something, "another one in the casket"

1 minute ago, BoogieBurns said:

Bish = bitch

Really ?  That's pretty weak.  Or maybe it was just to make it rhyme with 'swish' ?

3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

As for the "swish swish" song, the rumors are Perry is singing about archenemy Taylor Swift. They have a feud going on for years; TS's "Bad Blood" is about Perry.

Wow, she branched out from writing revenge songs about the guys she bearded fordated? Why have I never heard about this before?

I did not care for Katy Perry's new haircut, at all.  Wow, today's music is garbage.  In fact, I wouldn't even call that music, it was performance art.  I liked the dancing kid with the backpack though.

I was a little distracted early on because I kept expecting "The Rock" Obama to show up.

The original Wrestlemania promos skit was funnier. 

I liked the Cold Open. I thought it was both a nice callback to the first, post-election episode and also a sort of marker for where we are right now, because who knows what the administration is going to look like (or what administration we'll be in) when this show comes back in the fall.

The fidget spinner ad made me a little uncomfortable because the original demographic for them was people with ADHD, anxiety, and autism, but then they got coopted by the Basic White Girl Brigade that ruins goddamn everything and now they're a big joke. I have a fidget cube that I'm in love with; it gives my hands something to do that isn't twirling my headphones (or, worse, my hair) into knots while I sit in front of the computer all day at work. Point is, this new trend of fidget gadgets is a lifesaver and people like Vanessa's character can GTFO and stop ruining them for the groups of people they're actually for.

The triumphant return of David S. Pump--I mean, Pimpkins! I love how quickly that character took on a life of its own.

Drunk Uncle! I'm gonna miss Bobby so much. And Vanessa. I like that we got one more outing from Dawn Lazarus, she cracks me up.

The child-molesting robot sketch was so dark but in like the best way. I'm guessing White Castle wasn't an actual product placement? Because hangout of sexual predators is not the reputation you want for your fast-food chain, even if it is completely accurate.

I wonder if it was weird for Scarlett to see The Rock get all this fanfare for joining the Five Timers Club when she got nothing. Did she even get a jacket on her show? Idk I thought that was kinda tone deaf from everyone else and felt a little bad for her.

• Love 4

I'm going to miss Bobby and Vanessa.  I hope Vanessa gets a good opportunity soon.

My favorite moment of the episode was a small thing but during the cold open, they hit the "I didn't come to fool you" as Alec lifts up his hands yet the piano keeps playing.

• Love 12