Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E21: Dwayne Johnson / Katy Perry

• Start Topic

(edited)

I thought that was a really strong ep. Very few weak spots.

Of course the strongest is The Rock himself. Dwayne Johnson is so charismatic and funny. He was great in everything he did.

First off, the Cold Open was good. I'm not sure I can put into words what it meant. Maybe just awful people pretending to be good.

I enjoyed the monologue as well. Awesome to have Tom Hanks do it with him. 2020! Love Dwayne saying, "I'm actually worried I'm TOO qualified," and "I would get the minority vote because everyone just assumes I'm whatever they are."

The diamond fidget spinner commercial was terrific. Vanessa will be much missed. She really nails this type of character. Well, imo she nails every character type she does.

I thought the WrestleMania promo sketch was good. I know they've done this before, but this one was just as funny.

Cash Stack Records was the best sketch of the night. I'll have to rewatch to see all the different characters and costumes. So so funny. Then David S Pumpkins! Wooo-HOOOO! Until reading here, I missed that his name was Pimpkins. BTW, who's Ass Dan?

The Scorpio sketch was good. Nice angle to a superhero creating his own costume/garment.

Loved seeing Dwayne as the obnoxious guy with his British wife. That piglet was so so so cute! I liked that they just made this a continuation of the couples' previous encounter. BTW, the second time this sketch was done, who played the obnoxious guy? I can't remember. Anyway, seeing Vanessa get doused over and over was funny. (Somehow I didn't find Melissa McCarthy getting pied in the face over and over to be funny.)

The Xentrex commercial was outstanding. Everything about it was well done. "Hail Satan."

Loved seeing Dawn Lazarus again. She's a terrific character. Love the line that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson would beat his long-time rival Dwayne "The Scissors" Johnson. I'm glad we got another visit from Drunk Uncle. I didn't particularly enjoy this one, but I know lots of people wanted to see him.

The old RKO Studios movie sketch was stupidly funny. It was obvious that neither Vanessa nor Dwayne had heard some of the sound effects before. I'm not a big fart joke fan -- though it seems I'm saying that more and more, so maybe I am? -- and the ending with the cigarette was perfect. It's nice when the show finds a good ending to their sketches.

The Mad Scientists Society sketch was surprising. A guy trying to win the most evil machine by inventing a child molesting robot was cringe-inducing for a second, but it makes sense. Of course it's more evil that a shrink gun or freezing ray. DUH! The sketch turning into an ad for White Castle was great.

The Tavern sketch was slight but good. I didn't expect it to go in that direction. One of the best parts was, "Who's Carlos?"  "Heyyyy!"

I liked the Senior Awards Night sketch, too. I like seeing members of the cast act like awkward kids. The ideas in the seniors' sketch were appropriately lame. Loved the dissing of the cafeteria roast beef, esp then seeing Leslie's disgruntled cafeteria lady sitting there (for some reason). One minor complaint I have is that Dwayne's principal character didn't quite work for me.

Katy Perry. Meh. I didn't enjoy either of her performances. Of course the first one brought to mind Beetlejuice. In the second one I was struck by how much she reminded me of Emily Blunt. Weird. Everyone knows how much Katy Perry and Zoe Deschanel look alike, so I was surprised by this new resemblance.

Anyway, a great finale. I'll miss Vanessa and Bobby.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Love the line that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson would beat his long-time rival Dwayne "The Scissors" Johnson.

I was waiting for the information that he would however lose to Dwayne "The Paper" Johnson.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Cash Stack Records was the best sketch of the night. I'll have to rewatch to see all the different characters and costumes. So so funny. Then David S Pumpkins! Wooo-HOOOO! Until reading here, I missed that his name was Pimpkins. BTW, who's Ass Dan?

He was a character that Bobby only ever played in pictures during those recurring extreme music festival bits Jason Sudeikis and Nasim Pedrad used to do. At the end of each bit they'd say they were going to have a memorial for Ass Dan, then show a picture of Bobby looking rough.

• Love 4

Rocks/Pimpkins 2020! ANY QUESTIONS?! (Ahem, moving on.) 

I never even heard of a fidget spinner until 10 days ago due to my neighbour.  I did laugh at the absurdity of the ad, though considering the current fad is 1) something that's going to be a "thing" for the summer only and 2) getting lost in what audience it's really intended for, I'm not sold on it for myself. 

I loved the Coco sketch, but it wasn't as hilariously horrific as the first time.  Especially that Coco is saying Mad Dog (or whatever his name was) is shooting blanks now when last time he was spanking it to a picture of a girl that he was catfished with...and turned out to be his kid.  

The child molesting robot one was so WRONG at first and then you realize "well, he did enter a evil scientist contest and wanted to win so..."

Good season SNL.  You had some turkey episodes, but Trump winning was probably the best outcome the show could have asked for ratings wise. 

I'm a Beck fan. But he can't hold a candle to Taran as the promo moderator. Taran's snaps between his phone and the interview were so dear and the face he did were better than the inquisitive one Beck did.

I always enjoy the whole cast skits in the final episode. This one had more comedy than the Southern Rock Jamboree last year. It was a good bit of sketch comedy. Everyone rapping at the end and Keenan's, "I told you this would happen" were the right tags.

The elderly gentleman just giving it for Katy's second performance is the sly MVP of the evening. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It was like Katy Perry was ripping off Madonna's Vogue period music and background dancers while dressing like Miley Cyrus, compete with her haircut

Well it happens Katy used José Xtravaganza from Madonna's famous Blond Ambition tour and Vogue video (he also was one of the forefathers of the, then, underground vogue ballroom scenes). So I think it's great he's still getting work and still being recognized, regardless of who hired him. The only thing painfully obvious though is unlike Madge, who can fluidly work her dance moves along with some like José and other performers, Katy can't pull that off at all. And as someone posted earlier, the least interesting thing in that act was Katy herself.

Great to see José and the other performers getting screen time, but the song is crap.

It's confirmed it was Sasheer's last show too. 

I'm disappointed we didn't get to see people say goodbyes at the end. They cut the credits to go right to some stupid local commercial. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought the WrestleMania promo sketch was good. I know they've done this before, but this one was just as funny.

I was kinda bored with it because it was just a repeat of the first time; but then they got me with the plot to Twins!

• Love 2
(edited)

When I finished watching,  I felt a little disappointed by the episode. Mainly because a lot of it I didn't remember a lot of it (I was tired) until reading the recaps.  I thought it was stronger before (and during) weekend update. 

Hurray for Bobby and Vanessa getting the send off they deserved and yes I could have done with more good-byes. 

I loved the rap song that was just one big long fabulous introduction. I forgot David S. Pumpkins showed up and I loved the original sketch. It kind-of spoils David S. Pumpkins (the original, where Beck and Kate couldn't place him) that now people will now him from that Big Chris song.  I guess it's like Star Wars where you have to kids watch them in the order they were released (so they don't already know Darth Vader is Luke's father.)  The weekend update guys showing up again out of the desk as "two black guyz" and Big Chris going "Bad name" was cute.  (Also one of my favorite Bobby memories was his role as one of the beat-boy skeletons along with Jost.)

I wasn't as fond of the cold open as some, but I did see it as possible foreshadowing of will we still have the same people in office/power? I also caught the moment when Alec lifted his hands and the piano played on. 

The Xentrex commercial was awesome, because there are so many ED ads on all the time. Maybe because I watch the news? 

I liked the fidget spinner ads. They drive my teacher friends nuts. I have close friends with ADHD. The joke was more about the woman than the spinner anyway.

I felt like some of the later sketches particularly the graduation one felt unfinished.  

My favorite sketch of the night was the was monologue. I ready for Johnson (such a presidential name!) and Hanks 2020. Come on, let's make america nice again! 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

I think on the anonymity of the internet, I can admit this to all of you - I cried a little bit when Bobby finished his final Drunk Uncle, turned to Colin and said, "I love you man", and then they wrapped each other in a big bear hug. The episode was a great send off for Bobby, a great send off for Vanessa, and a really great episode to end the season on. I loved Vanessa bringing back Dawn Lazerus, and I'm guessing it must've been a favorite character of hers (or one she tried to get on for awhile), because one of the things she muttered really quickly was "It's my last show, I'm gonna sneak it in".

The Rock is just made for SNL. He just has charisma for days and he's so funny. I lost my shit in the wrestlemania sketch when he yelled "YOURE THE DEVITO!", but my favorite sketch of the night was the Rap Song sketch. "Don't think I didn't notice you trying to fly under the radar Marci Jamz" and "BAD NAME" just killed me. 

I felt like the writing for WU has been much sharper the past few weeks than it had been previously, and the delivery from Colin especially has been more biting. Loved the "President-for-now Trump", "If he really wanted to avoid interacting with Trump, he should've just married him", and "I'm just glad a nut job wasn't something that happened in a Russian hotel room" lines.

ETA - I almost forgot my favorite Drunk Uncle lines: "Well, I asked people to sit on my lap, so kinda!" and "Here's an Instagram story for you -  GO TO CHURCH!"

• Love 10
(edited)

I don't care much for Katy Perry's type of music but loved the Swish Swish performance-- and I agree that was more performance art than a song but I don't care.

Backpack kid = Russell Horning.  Great stuff for a short performance on his part.  He's been on Vine and Youtube.

Oh yeah-- the comedy show part!  Great episode from top to bottom, except the three exiting castmembers should have received a proper send-off.

@ Helenamonster:  I thought they did give Scarlett Johansson a 5-timer jacket, but I'm not totally sure.  I still have it DVR'ed.  I'll try to remember to check in between innings of KC Royals games [still sulking that Fox canceled Pitch].

Edited by JZL
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, the second time this sketch was done, who played the obnoxious guy?

They did it once with Benedict Cumberbatch this year.  I think there was at least one other, too.

7 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was waiting for the information that he would however lose to Dwayne "The Paper" Johnson.

And they already did a "Dwayne 'The Scissors' Johnson" joke on Update, this very season!  I remember commenting here that I thought it was funny.  So nice, they used it twice, I guess.  :)

Okay, not a lot of support for Katy Perry's performances, but I felt as though she kind of did what Kanye does when he appears--made  it a visual event ("performance art," as people noted upthread), and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing?  It's something different, represents the pop scene--I don't know, I found the performances interesting.  And I say that as someone pretty neutral on Katy Perry in that I neither actively follow her music nor dislike it.  I just think that the performances were a more interesting risk than either Haim or LCD Soundsystem.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 3

I agree that Katy Perry's performances were more interesting that good musically.

I'd vote for Johnson/Hanks in a heartbeat.  What does that say about us that we'd rather vote for popular actors over seasoned statesmen?  

Vanessa was on fire, all of her performances were great.  Definitely going to miss her and wish her the best.  I'm not as big a fan of Bobby, but he has some good bits too.

WU was good this week as well, haha "president for now trump" and "I know I said it was crazy last week".  who knows what its going to be like when SNL returns, omg.

I love David S. Pumpkins!  

(edited)
4 hours ago, Hanahope said:

What does that say about us that we'd rather vote for popular actors over seasoned statesmen?  

I'd rather continue to vote for seasoned statesmen.

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 13

Bobby has been my favorite cast member, along with Taran and Jay, like forever. He's so funny, and what I really love about him is that he loves the legacy of SNL and always appeared so honored to be there. When he was interviewed for one of those NBC retrospective shows, he spoke of being behind the stage during the open, hearing Don Pardo call his name, and he visbly teared up speaking of how thrilling it was to hear that. 

So I think he will be sorely missed. Vanessa too. Sasheem? Seems like a wonderful person, but she's really had very little impact in her time on SNL, just saying.

• Love 1

Robo Chomo is totally my sense of humor.  If I had been writing that sketch, I would had a white guy invent a robotic policeman that beats up black people, only to be beaten by his own robot when another mad scientist attaches his octoroon detector that determines that the first scientist actually has some African heritage that he doesn't know about.  And maybe have the robot not recognize celebrity guest judge Drake as being black.

I wonder when Tom Hanks was confirmed to be part of the show.  In the rap video, it feels like Essentially Simon was supposed to go in the spot where David S. Pimpkins went and they moved him so there was no transition between Kathleen Bell/Katy Perry and him.

I like political humor and I like toilet humor, so this was a good show for me.

1 hour ago, RobertDeSneero said:

. . . another mad scientist attaches his octoroon detector . . .

Octoroon googled, eyebrow raised.

1 hour ago, RobertDeSneero said:

I like political humor and I like toilet humor, so this was a good show for me.

This show went from the CO with Team Trump people in their uber-duds surrounding a grand piano to a 40's fart gag.   I laughed out loud when Vanessa rumped Johnson in a standing spoon and gut-farted against his nethers.  Surprisingly, looking back, I did not see that coming.  Some probably did, but it's still funny either way.  It was well-written with few mistakes.

On 5/21/2017 at 7:37 PM, Temperance said:

I loved the rap song that was just one big long fabulous introduction. I forgot David S. Pumpkins showed up and I loved the original sketch. It kind-of spoils David S. Pumpkins (the original, where Beck and Kate couldn't place him) that now people will now him from that Big Chris song.  I guess it's like Star Wars where you have to kids watch them in the order they were released (so they don't already know Darth Vader is Luke's father.)  The weekend update guys showing up again out of the desk as "two black guyz" and Big Chris going "Bad name" was cute.  (Also one of my favorite Bobby memories was his role as one of the beat-boy skeletons along with Jost.)

I don't think the rap sketch spoils the original David S. Pumpkins sketch. In order to fully appreciate his appearance here, you had to have seen that one first. If someone happens to see this one first, they'll just think he's another random character, and also maybe, "Hey, cool, Tom Hanks!"

On 5/21/2017 at 11:46 PM, JZL said:

I was curious and my granddaughter wasn't answering her phone so I googled.  I don't think Vine even exists any more, TBH.

It's not, it got deleted last fall. Twitter bought it almost as soon as it started getting popular, then three years later couldn't figure out how to make money off of it and got rid of it. Because of course.

Thanks to everyone who explained what that Katy Perry song was about.  (I now wonder if the drag queens were intended to be a spoof of Taylor Swift's squad, or if she's making a statement, or it's something else.)  Sometimes conflict can create good art, but not always.

The mad scientist's convention played with a trope about  the different ways to be evil.

(edited)
On 5/22/2017 at 10:07 AM, BoogieBurns said:

I'd rather continue to vote for seasoned statesmen.

I'd rather vote for seasoned spokespersons

That being said, Johnson/Hanks-separately or together- would be better than Kanye anyday.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2