Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E20: Melissa McCarthy / Haim

• Start Topic

I've tried tempering my expectations, but who am I kidding--they are sky high, at least for the Spicey stuff.  Otherwise her skits have been hit or miss for me through the years. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Haim again.

Last time they were on was 4 years ago when Josh Hutcherson hosted, and wasn't really impressed with them then -- and gotta say I haven't heard squat about them since that appearance.

I remember them being on 4 years ago and still don't know anything about them besides the fact that they're part of Taylor Swift's #squad of tall white girls.

• Love 4
(edited)
35 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

They did this sketch to enrage Trump enough to fire Spicer, right? 

There was a rumor earlier today that Spicer will be replaced and this certainly won't help him, but I don't think SNL wants him gone. They have a comedy goldmine, although this, in my opinion, was not one of the stronger Spicey sketches.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 2
(edited)

Cold Opening: Opening with Trump, because of course they do and they have a lot of catching up to do. Seriously, Trump gets two scoops while everyone else gets one and Paul Ryan is happily taking one up the ass, James Comey, Anderson Cooper's eyeroll, the Russian Ambassador, and Lester Holt calling out every single thing Trump does and him not giving a shit.

Monologue: So Melissa McCarthy joins the 5 Timers Club. Good for her. Taking an old lady through a backstage tour and coming out through the door was great to see.

Just Desserts: It's a "let's just hit Melissa McCarthy with pies for a few minutes" sketch. Sounds good to me.

Amazon Echo Silver: Loved this, definitely nailed how old people act with technology. Among other names, it responds to "Excedrin."

Sean Spicer: Of course Aidy is Sarah Huckabee Sanders, she looks just like him her. Like I said last week, the question wasn't IF Sean Spicer would show up, but WHEN. Love that they show him in the bushes because reality is weird. LOVED the nesting dolls. Jake The Dog was Comey, Pikachu was Jeff Sessions, Slimer was Steve Bannon, and Hillary was Maleficent (because of course). Really loved seeing the rest of the footage of Spicer riding around Manhattan on that podium. Loved this one so much.

WU: As they said, the past week was crazy. Adding a record scratch and "I Feel Good" improves Che's jokes by 500%.

Women in Film: It was great seeing someone who could relate with Debette. Loved seeing Debette and Gaye holding hands the whole time. I could've just watched the two of them, we didn't need Cecily or Sasheer in the sketch.

Kyle & Leslie: Was not expecting another chapter in THIS saga, but loved it. Loved that Little Lorne made an appearance. "I don't usually support cast members shooting each other, but Colin CAN be a little annoying." That was line of the night, right there. Colin may or may not being a homewrecker was so good, Kyle just straight-up shooting him just slayed me.

Mom Animal: This is the sequel to the Mom Haircut sketch from the Brie Larson episode. And what a rich subject to cover, every mom has an "animal." I think I come from a cat family? I've never seen any other animal represented by the women in my family.

Lighthouse Features: This cracked me up so much, the final logo with the Seinfeld music was my favorite part. Also, what the hell was Beck wearing on his head?

Goodbyes: Surprise Steve Martin cameo inducting Melissa into the Five Timers Club! That was awesome. I hope he comes back next week to give The Rock his own jacket, it'll be his fifth time, too.

This was a good one! Dwayne Johnson hosts next week, and that one's gonna be good.

Edited by Galileo908
Her, not him.
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Of course Aidy is Sarah Huckabee Sanders, she looks just like him.

I'm just reading, and I know this is just a typo, but it made me giggle! Haha. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5

"Literally nothing matters anymore." Thanks, SNL, for my weekly existential crisis.

I loved how Blake and Ryan were referred to as "The Livelys."

Melissa managed to give the exaggerated version of Spicey more pathos than the real Spicey could ever have during the bit where he realized that 45 was lying to him.

I was hoping for more from Pete's Update bit. He is really pissed about the current administration and I wanted to see him go off on taking away rehab services from people who could be in the same situation he was in a few months ago. But instead we got him talking about petting horses? Lame. I love Cathie Ann, she keeps it so real. "You know the guy at the bowling alley that yells about the CIA watching him and Russia listening in? That's his real life!"

Yes, the Leslie/Kyle (Kylie? Lyle?) saga continues! The boy who played Little Lorne was adorable (and that was a great callback to when Jimmy and Tina had their own "Lorne" once upon a time).

The "every mom has an animal sketch" did not even come close to the brilliance of its predecessor "The Cut."

Was Colin really injured or was him being on crutches during the goodbyes a continuation of the pretaped bit?

So happy for Melissa that she got her Five Timers jacket! Do we think they really get to keep those, or...?

I was kind of enjoying Haim's second song and then the blonde one started mugging something fierce and ruined it.

• Love 10

I really liked the episode.  The political humor (from the Trump interview to Weekend Update to Spicey) was merciless and very hard-edged, and I thought that was appropriate for the type of week that it has been.  I liked Michael Che's (as Lester Holt) resigned line about how nothing matters anymore.

On the lighter side, I thought that was a sweet monologue and a sweet ending.  I liked Melissa's line about how nothing could happen to Joan or "she wouldn't get paid".  And it was so nice that Steve could give her her 5-timers club jacket.

Two weeks in a row with really strong hosting turns by consummate pros.  I have confidence that Dwayne Johnson will make it a trifecta.

• Love 7
(edited)

Anyway, I was so happy Steve turned up in the goodbyes with the jacket because I was pretty disappointed the whole five times thing was seriously under appreciated up until then.  I don't know that any host over the past 5 plus years has consistently been more reliable or consistent for the show, Timberlake included.

Really enjoyed the show for the most part.

Liked the cold open, especially Lester saying. "I got him! It's over? It's not? Because nothing matters anymore?" That just sums up where we are at right now.

I can never not love Spicey. But yeah, the ending was really silly. Besides it's reported Trump is always glued to the TV and judging the press conferences probably right behind the door. But the sketch was absolute GOLD minus the kissing.

When Pete came out, my honest reaction was.... Oh haven't thought of him in awhile.

No Beck until the last sketch. I was missing him and wish we had Putin tonight.

I live for those Leslie-Kyle sagas. Of course Leslie is the alpha and I always feel for Kyle. It's like he does have some Bruce Chandling sadness even when he's not playing the character.

Speaking of the goodbyes, Kate gave Kyle a tender hug. I couldn't help wondering if that was partly a carryover.

Yay for Melissa! She rocked it, and I do hope she gets the guest actress Emmy this year.

2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I was kind of enjoying Haim's second song and then the blonde one started mugging something fierce and ruined it.

Honestly with all the mugging and goofy faces, it felt like a high school talent show thing to me.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Honestly with all the mugging and goofy faces, it felt like a high school talent show thing to me.

That is exactly what I was thinking during their first song. They seem like that band in high school that performs at everything and is kinda good, you guess, 'cause you're in high school and most of the "bands" are terrible, and then years later you come across the DVD someone burned for you of the Battle of the Bands and damn they are not as good as you remembered.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

"Literally nothing matters anymore." Thanks, SNL, for my weekly existential crisis.

I loved how Blake and Ryan were referred to as "The Livelys."

Melissa managed to give the exaggerated version of Spicey more pathos than the real Spicey could ever have during the bit where he realized that 45 was lying to him.

I was hoping for more from Pete's Update bit. He is really pissed about the current administration and I wanted to see him go off on taking away rehab services from people who could be in the same situation he was in a few months ago. But instead we got him talking about petting horses? Lame. I love Cathie Ann, she keeps it so real. "You know the guy at the bowling alley that yells about the CIA watching him and Russia listening in? That's his real life!"

Yes, the Leslie/Kyle (Kylie? Lyle?) saga continues! The boy who played Little Lorne was adorable (and that was a great callback to when Jimmy and Tina had their own "Lorne" once upon a time).

The "every mom has an animal sketch" did not even come close to the brilliance of its predecessor "The Cut."

So happy for Melissa that she got her Five Timers jacket! Do we think they really get to keep those, or...?

I love Cathy Anne! She is one of my favorites. I'm paraphrasing  below, but she has been good this season. 

I loved it during the campaign when she said: "If you're not hanging out with any blacks, gays, mexicans or hispanics, then you're not having any fun!

I loved it when she told everyone to get off the internet for few days and go outside including Trump. and then she said "I know he's watching." 

Tonight she was great especially calling out the House and making fun of McConnell.

When did they refer to Blake and Ryan as the Livelys? Fewer short sketchs this week.  I liked the animal one too!

• Love 4

Wish before Trump and Spicey kissed it had ended well and then after Sean left Trump had turned to someone for a good laugh - like Bannon, Jared, Ivanka, Preibus, Sessions, Conway......anyone currently MIA.

10 minutes ago, Temperance said:

When did they refer to Blake and Ryan as the Livelys? Fewer short sketchs this week.  I liked the animal one too!

Right after Melissa and Joan left that section of the "tour," Melissa said something about "The Livelys." I can't remember the exact line, will check when they put the monologue up on YouTube.

12 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Could not stop laughing at the Amazon Echo bit. Hysterical. 

"I don't know about that."

5 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Speaking of the goodbyes, Kate gave Kyle a tender hug. I couldn't help wondering if that was partly a carryover.

I think I am missing something here. Can you explain what you mean? Thanks!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I think I am missing something here. Can you explain what you mean? Thanks!

Colin was on crutches, which I think was still part of the bit where he got "shot" by Kyle, so I thought Kate might be comforting Kyle from all the drama?   It just seemed a like supportive hug like something was going on, but it's possible I read too much into it, too.

4 hours ago, mtlchick said:

They did this sketch to enrage Trump enough to fire Spicer, right? 

Immediately after that aired I asked friends to confirm that SNL was actually trying to give Trump a lethal stroke. They know he's glued to the TV every Saturday!

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought Kyle shot Colin's crotch, so the crutches/broken leg threw me off. Did I miss a joke somewhere in tonight's show about "break a leg!" possibly? Also, hellooo muscles!

Has it really already been 4 years since Haim was last on? I feel like that episode was like 2 years ago. The blonde girl's facial expressions cracked me up more than most of tonight's content. I'm cracking up again just thinking about her face. Also her hyper jumping during the goodbyes. 

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 1

Is this the end of Spicey? Hell of a closer if so.

The cold opening was just perfect. "Did I get him? Is it over?" We wish.

Would have liked one Five-Timers Club skit, but Steve and Alec coming out at the good nights was awesome too.

Anyone else hoping that next week's episode with Dwayne Johnson features the return of The Rock Obama to give a certain someone what they so richly deserve?

• Love 7
(edited)

Was something wrong with the sound mixing, especially for Melissa? It was often hard to hear her, and it seemed as if the audience couldn't hear her mostly in the first half of the show.

We just bought an Echo for my MIL and I'm going over to set it up in a couple of weeks. Amazon  Silver may be prophetic. 

Trump's tweets are hilarious. 

What was on Che's forehead during WU?

it seemed like Melissa was supposed to improvise with Joan. That didn't work out well.

The joke about women and India and the US was nonsensical, given how many raoes and attacks and forced marriages there are in India. 

Che really enjoys Kathy Ann.

After WU the show was pretty bad. Some truth in the "choose your animal" thing. Always good to see Steve Martin.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

Better than average episode, for sure.  Maybe I'm unsophisticated, but I could have watched 90 minutes of Just Desserts and Melissa taking pies and cakes in the face repeatedly.

Also liked the Amazon Echo sketch, Women in Film (always entertaining), and Lighthouse Features. 

Galileo908, why don't you ever put in any comments about the musical guest?  I mean I barely tolerate the musical spots, so I understand I guess.  Certainly not why I watch.  I liked Haim's second song better than the first, it had a nice little complimentary guitar solo bit at the end while the other sisters sang the hook.  Apparently their bass player is fairly well known for making those weird facial expressions while she's playing, which I couldn't help but notice either.

(edited)
8 hours ago, vb68 said:

Liked the cold open, especially Lester saying. "I got him! It's over? It's not? Because nothing matters anymore?" That just sums up where we are at right now.

That was so great. Horribly true and sad, but funny in a depressing way. Another thing I loved in the CO was Trump's comment that he sits in every chair like he's on the toilet. I'd never heard that observation before, but it's true!

1 hour ago, Ottis said:

What was on Che's forehead during WU?

I was wondering about that, too. I thought maybe it was a bandaid that was nearly a perfect match for his skin tone. Then I figured it was just leftover makeup from his Lester Holt skullcap.

There were good parts in the ep, but I was left feeling somewhat disappointed. I didn't think the monologue worked that well unless you just saw it as sweet -- taking a mother on a backstage tour -- rather than funny, because it wasn't funny. I also was unimpressed by Just Desserts. Right away I figured it was just an excuse for Melissa to get pies in the face over and over, and, hey, I was right! I don't find that funny at all.

I did like the Amazon Echo Silver commercial. Everyone nailed their part. The repeated "I don't know about that" cracked me up. I also liked the "Uh huh" feature.

It's always good to see Spicey, though I hated the kissing ending. I wanted to see more of Sarah Huckabee [last name], and there may be more opportunities for that. I love Spicey's relationship with Glen. "Shut up, Glen." I also loved when he ripped down the column and threw it at the press.

Kathy Ann was great. She made a lot of sense. 

I actually cringed when Che dared Trump to end press briefings. "You can't do that." Why not? 

Debette is a national treasure. "These are my lungs!"

The Kyle and Leslie story is so great. I love these bits. Kyle shooting Colin shocked me and made me laugh.

The mom-animal sketch did nothing for me.

The film logo sketch did nothing for me.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6

In the Spicer filmed part, there was a truck with "Nixon" on it, I think the name of a company? I don't know if that was staged or just a happy accident, but that was perfect given how Watergate the Trump scandals have gotten these days.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

There were good parts in the ep, but I was left feeling somewhat disappointed. I didn't think the monologue worked that well unless you just saw it as sweet -- taking a mother on a backstage tour -- rather than funny, because it wasn't funny. I also was unimpressed by Just Desserts. Right away I figured it was just an excuse for Melissa to get pies in the face over and over, and, hey, I was right! I don't find that funny at all.

I did like the Cold Open and also the anchorman material in WU, but in general I agree with the above. I see a pattern: Whenever the week has had events that are so crazy that you're saying, "Oh boy, I can't wait to see what SNL does with this!," they end up missing the target. Their great shows tend to be not in those weeks, and they're great in ways you don't expect.

One problem is they're missing the point of Spicer. Spicey as "toxic anger guy" worked when we first knew Spicer, because that did seem to be the guy's problem. But the problems with Spicer have grown so much worse (incompetence, incoherence, inability to get out a simple English sentence) that anger is the least of it. The show is stuck in a characterization that no longer makes sense.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Was Colin really injured or was him being on crutches during the goodbyes a continuation of the pretaped bit?

Kyle/Leslie might be one of my favorite on-going bits the show has ever had, right down to the fact that they somehow have a 6 year old child despite only being together for 8 months. I absolutely lost my shit when Kyle shot Colin in the leg, and that Lorne didn't care because "Colin can be annoying".  Colin on crutches with the cast was a continuation of the bit though, especially because he was standing on the "injured" leg a couple of times. 

The whole show was amazing; I just love Melissa McCarthy. She's always willing to give 110% to everything, and she makes it work. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Not the best of Melissa McCarthy's episode.

Lucky Joan/Jane. I realized watching she must have been in her 20s when the show premiered.

I like that Melissa referred to Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively as the "Livelys".

I loved the Alexa Amazon Silver commerical.

Haim was okay. The blonde sister makes so many distracting faces when the other one does a guitar solo I can't help but think it's deliberate.

I liked Pete's WU segment.

Debette is great as always as is Melissa as "Gaye".

Another nice Kyle and Leslie short. Laughed when Colin got shot and Lorne's TH saying "Normally I don't condone one of my cast members getting shot..."

Mom sketch not as funny as last year with Brie Larson but still amusing.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

That was so great. Horribly true and sad, but funny in a depressing way. Another thing I loved in the CO was Trump's comment that he sits in every chair like he's on the toilet. I'd never heard that observation before, but it's true!

I was wondering about that, too. I thought maybe it was a bandaid that was nearly a perfect match for his skin tone. Then I figured it was just leftover makeup from his Lester Holt skullcap.

I did like the Amazon Echo Silver commercial. Everyone nailed their part. The repeated "I don't know about that" cracked me up. I also liked the "Uh huh" feature.

It's always good to see Spicey, though I hated the kissing ending. I wanted to see more of Sarah Huckabee [last name], and there may be more opportunities for that. I love Spicey's relationship with Glen. "Shut up, Glen." I also loved when he ripped down the column and threw it at the press.

Kathy Ann was great. She made a lot of sense. 

I actually cringed when Che dared Trump to end press briefings. "You can't do that." Why not? 

Debette is a national treasure. "These are my lungs!"

The Kyle and Leslie story is so great. I love these bits. Kyle shooting Colin shocked me and made me laugh.

The mom-animal sketch did nothing for me.

The film logo sketch did nothing for me.

This is exactly how I feel about this episode.  Thanks for doing all the writing for me!

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Then I figured it was just leftover makeup from his Lester Holt skullcap.

I'm pretty sure that's what it was, and it was indeed distracting at first. I probably missed some jokes wondering what was up with his head.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I loved the grin and raised eyebrows from Glen that he did mess with Spicey's "visual aids".

1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

But the problems with Spicer have grown so much worse (incompetence, incoherence, inability to get out a simple English sentence) that anger is the least of it. The show is stuck in a characterization that no longer makes sense.

Oh, I'd argue the incompetence is there. It just gets meshed in with everything else. (They certainly hit the Hitler and Passover miscues last time.) I think that's a main reason Spicey gets so worked up. He can't answer the questions.    

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4

The Just Desserts sketch really kicked the absurdity up a notch when the price for "cleaning" off the pie gunk was another pie in the face.

The musical guests made me wonder when the sisters from The People's Couch formed a band.

• Love 1

While Melissa and Alec have done good work this year, I haven't enjoyed how they've overshadowed the cast. I'm sure it sounds like a petty quibble, but I wish Che had gotten to say "Live from New York..." He doesn't do much sketch work, so having that opportunity given to Alec, who's done it all season sucks in my book

Some good stuff with the rest of the show. The mothers day monologues are always sweet. And getting to take a cast member backstage was cool. I did laugh when Alec poked his head out of the quick change. Amazon Silver was pretry great too. But nothing will top the Amy Schumer parents computer therapy sketch for me on old people and technology 

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, vb68 said:

Anyway, I was so happy Steve turned up in the goodbyes with the jacket because I was pretty disappointed the whole five times thing was seriously under appreciated up until then.  I don't know that any host over the past 5 plus years has consistently been more reliable or consistent for the show, Timberlake included.

I was too at first, but I did so like the monologue with Melissa giving a tour to a mom on Mother's day, and given that this was being aired live - her receiving the jacket at the end could be seen in prime time for a good portion of the country.

I think what I was mad at (during the show) - was that they didn't give her props on being a 5 timer and then on the first skit after the monologue she got pied over and over and over.  Was that supposed to be funny?

Melissa is so good.  She teared up as Spicer at the idea the President was lying to him.  I didn't like the kiss at the end - but upon reflection - knowing that would probably piss off Trump - I am fine with it now.

That animal skit - completely sucked.

I really liked Che's impersonation of Lester Holt - and that quote "Literally nothing matters anymore" yeah a little bit to true for me.

But Lorne did have the best line of the night - "I don't usually support cast members shooting each other, but Colin can be a little annoying." And I really liked that the skit continued with Colin coming out on crutches at the end.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

This is exactly how I feel about this episode.  Thanks for doing all the writing for me!

You're welcome! You often write my thoughts for me, so back atcha.

2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I liked Pete's WU segment.

I didn't. I understand it was real and heartfelt, but not too funny, imo. Maybe I got distracted or---SQUIRREL!

• Love 2