Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E20: Melissa McCarthy / Haim

• Start Topic

This was Melissa's weakest episode, she was barely a presence in it. If she wins the Emmy for Guest Actress, it will only be because they ignored her for her other stellar episodes. There is one Melissa episode that is just the bomb, I think her second time out,  the monologue with the sky high red heels, crazy basketball coach, leftover pizza business, BBQ pork contest, game show letter turner, I think they are all in the same dang episode. Funny, funny lady. Just not tonight.

• Love 4

Here's Mike Ryan's recap. I liked what he said about the show being a catharsis after a long week. And it's sweet to know she took a totally different woman backstage in dress rehearsal.

8 minutes ago, vb68 said:

And it's sweet to know she took a totally different woman backstage in dress rehearsal.

she'd have to pick a different woman. The dress studio audience is not the live studio audience.

• Love 2
(edited)

My verdict: great episode. The Cold Open of the Trump & Lester Holt interview was hilarious, especially the times when Trump called Holt by different names of other famous Black men,  ("Tupac," "O.J." "Kenan,"), Paul Ryan as a simpering servant and of course, Holt's hope of getting Trump to confess-which he did- because, to quote him, "Nothing really matters anymore." 

Melissa McCarthy did a great job. The opening sketch with the tour was cute, including the cameo of Mrs. & Mr. Blake Lively-who I thought should have replaced Kate & Bobby in the pie sketch, which was funny, but seeing all three of them getting pied would have been even funnier. 

WU was funny too. My favorite jokes were Michael's joke about Trump's headlines being turned into movie trailers, Colin's joke about how ominous Trump's law firm's claims that Trump hasn't had any deals with Russia, with a few exceptions is like saying that "All the kids returned from the field trip-with a few exceptions."

Last, but not least, there was Spicy, which IMO was the best one since the first. I loved every bush-hiding, extinguisher-spraying, nesting doll-opening, column-lifting, podium-riding and Trump-kissing moment of it. For that alone, Melissa McCarthy deserves to keep her "5 Timers" jacket.

For next week's Season Finale, hopefully, Dwayne Johnson will not only get a "5 Timers" jacket of his own, seeing either Alec, Steve, Tom, Melissa or Dwayne's The Rundown co-star/fellow "5 Timer" Christopher Walken rip off the arms would be even better. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

Loved the cold open. It was savage, on target, and the writing was sharp and focused in a way it hasn't always been the second half of the season. I really wish that they had cut back on Trump earlier. It works better when it's not just responding to the week's events, but has a larger point as well. And when Baldwin is really pissed off instead of just disgusted. There's a spark that's missing when it's every week and Baldwin's performance is so much better when there's no sense he's there out of obligation. I wish they would have done more like last week and maybe moved some of the Spicer sketches to open. Let Weekend Update handle the latest stupidity and keep things fresh before you end up back in "Chris Christie is fat" territory.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I was kind of enjoying Haim's second song and then the blonde one started mugging something fierce and ruined it.

12 hours ago, vb68 said:

Honestly with all the mugging and goofy faces, it felt like a high school talent show thing to me.

12 hours ago, helenamonster said:

That is exactly what I was thinking during their first song. They seem like that band in high school that performs at everything and is kinda good, you guess, 'cause you're in high school and most of the "bands" are terrible, and then years later you come across the DVD someone burned for you of the Battle of the Bands and damn they are not as good as you remembered.

Agreed with all of the above -- the second song was definitely better than the first song but that's not saying much.  My question is still this is the best they could book for May sweeps ?  Really ?  Was Ashley Simpson unavailable (I'm kidding, of course) ?  

• Love 2

I read a blurb about the Debette skit and that Melissa broke the entire time but when finally watched it this morning there was no such breaking that I saw.  Maybe it happened in the dress rehearsal?

• Love 1
(edited)

I love Debette sketches and this one was no exception, except I did wish that they had differentiated Gaye and Debette more. Given that Hollywood treats women differently by size maybe go that route? But maybe they didn't want to do that with Melissa.  The lead stuff would have seemed far-fetched if I hadn't seen the Nightly Show's deep dive on lead. Rip Nightly show.

I feel the approach was go hard as possible with the political stuff and then give sort-of soft and obvious humor to give us a rest. 

I liked Che as Holt. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2
(edited)

One more thought I adore Kate McKinnon, but felt that sometimes she is in so much and had to do so much and I thought it was nice to see other people really get showcased in this episode.

Also I liked the review from the AV Club. 

Edited by Temperance
1 hour ago, Unclejosh said:

I read a blurb about the Debette skit and that Melissa broke the entire time but when finally watched it this morning there was no such breaking that I saw.  Maybe it happened in the dress rehearsal?

Yeah, I rewatched the sketch after reading that little article, so I was left perplexed. Until being reminded here about dress rehearsal, I had no clue what the writer had been smoking. I agree with you that this must have happened in dress r.

(edited)
8 hours ago, rmontro said:

Galileo908, why don't you ever put in any comments about the musical guest?  I mean I barely tolerate the musical spots, so I understand I guess.  Certainly not why I watch.  I liked Haim's second song better than the first, it had a nice little complimentary guitar solo bit at the end while the other sisters sang the hook.  Apparently their bass player is fairly well known for making those weird facial expressions while she's playing, which I couldn't help but notice either.

I usually don't pay attention when the music guest comes on. And last night I was on a DVR delay, so I sped through the first performance to catch up.

Edited by Galileo908

Could not stop laughing at the Amazon Echo bit. Hysterical. 

I think it was the funniest sketch of the season. And just today an elderly relative asked me how many pints were in a quart and when I told her two, she replied skeptically, "I don't know about that." I just about collapsed in laughter.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

. . . One problem is they're missing the point of Spicer. Spicey as "toxic anger guy" worked when we first knew Spicer, because that did seem to be the guy's problem. But the problems with Spicer have grown so much worse (incompetence, incoherence, inability to get out a simple English sentence) that anger is the least of it. The show is stuck in a characterization that no longer makes sense.

I got the distinct impression from the Trump/Spicer sketch that this was the last time Melissa will be doing him, especially if Trump fires the poor guy.  AidyB did a nice SHS, and certainly others in the cast can develop a Trump character.  But that's just me.

Sadly, I completely understood the point of the animal sketch.  I can't explain it, but I get it.  I was once told, very seriously, my animal is an aardvark.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I thought Kyle shot Colin's crotch, so the crutches/broken leg threw me off. Did I miss a joke somewhere in tonight's show about "break a leg!" possibly? Also, hellooo muscles!

No, Kyle shot him in the leg.

14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Anyone else hoping that next week's episode with Dwayne Johnson features the return of The Rock Obama to give a certain someone what they so richly deserve?

I've been looking forward to this since it was announced he was hosting. Michelle went off on 45 re: school lunches the other day, you know he's the topic of many a heated discussion in the Obama household. I imagine that a lot of The Rock Obama's rage will come from the healthcare repeal/replace effort.

• Love 2

Anyone else hoping that next week's episode with Dwayne Johnson features the return of The Rock Obama to give a certain someone what they so richly deserve?

Hell, I think they're reaching out to Obama himself since his schedule is not that packed anymore. 

• Love 1

Anyone taking bets on how many days after the season finale they will announce Pete Davidson is leaving the show? Since he's been back, he's barely been on and it just doesn't seem like his heart is in it. The general party atmosphere of the show can't be good for him anyway.

And yes to the annoying facial thing with the Haim girl. I alternated between laughing and seriously worrying if she had watched the Ring video and was in the throes of dying with that elongated face.

(edited)

Loved the cold open. It was savage, on target, and the writing was sharp and focused in a way it hasn't always been the second half of the season.

I loved it, but it was like kisses from a baby compared to Cecily's Cathy Anne in WU. She may have been slurring her words, but she was utterly brutal.....and completely on point.

Please Melissa, stop dousing yourself with gallons of salad dressing or cream pies when you host SNL.  It's not funny past the age of 7

I could not disagree more! I agree that it was the weakest Melissa McCarthy outing but no one goes after physical comedy like she does-watching her drink the spray of water was incredible and while it may not be fresh, it still cracks me up. YMMV

She didn't seem all that surprised about Steve Martin dropping by with her jacket-according to Wikipedia,  fastest (shortest time from 1st appearance to 5th) of any woman to make it, ....the fastest being Steve Martin.

Much as I enjoy WU and Cathy Anne, it is really too bad that they did not let Bobby do Drunk Uncle or 2nd Hand News with Anthony Crispino instead of Pete, who just wasn't funny. With only 1 episode left, if this is really it for Bobby, then we wont get to see BOTH of these guys.

Edited by AriAu
7 minutes ago, AriAu said:

She didn't seem all that surprised about Steve Martin dropping by with her jacket

I disagree. From her body language, I thought it was obvious she was surprised he was there, and the way she said, "You're Steve Martin!"

2 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:
On 5/14/2017 at 1:13 PM, dubbel zout said:

If James Comey looks like "gosh" became a person, Colin is definitely "gee willikers."

I made the joke that Colin is "meh"

He seems so much like a "Golly" to me, but that could be all the jokes Che does at his expense. Like when Che did that  that joke about Colin opening for him at the Apollo Theater, Colin is so "Golly Che, why you'd bring that up?"

• Love 3

Kiss at the end of Spicey skit was stupid, awful and there has been no precedent for that in either or their behaviors. Otherwise skit was perfect.  I especially loved him hurling the Greek column at Vanessa.  Game show was really cute too.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Kiss at the end of Spicey skit was stupid, awful and there has been no precedent for that in either or their behaviors. 

I'm not saying it wasn't stupid, but it was supposed to be a "kiss of death".  It didn't land for me, but I thought they were going for a mafiaesque vibe, which, to me, does not require behavior-based precedent.

• Love 2

I'm not a huge fan of the Cathy Anne segments, but this one was priceless.  If Cecily ever gets a "Best of" (and she should) this one should be on it.  She hit all the high points, then reeled it back in with the little shooting star bit, and then went on for more. 

When Haim was on four years ago, iirc I was slightly surprised, so I watched them instead of the usual FF-through-the-MG.  OMG, that first song was the most horrid excuse for music I can ever remember on SNL.  Two screechy measures with hack lyrics over and over and over.  I'd bet $1000 they were not playing their instruments, $5000 that the so-called bassist wasn't.  To their credit, the second song had a pretty nice little guitar run in it (assuming it was really being played live)  Taylor Swift can keep them as her pets or whatever.  Just-- blech.

Otherwise a sort of uneven but good episode.  The Spicer sketch wasted the on-the-road idea, the Echo Silver and Leslie-Kyle sketches were great (esp. the Lorne deadpan part) WU keeps rolling along.

And is it just me, but is Zasheer finally seeing the light of Saturday Night?

• Love 1

I liked Kyle explaining that he cries after sex because it's an emotional experience for him, Leslie concluding that that makes him a little bitch, and then Melissa telling them that she is just trying to learn her lines.  

• Love 2
16 hours ago, JZL said:

Taylor Swift can keep them as her pets or whatever.

Ha! That gave me a giggle fit. It may not be too far off either. 

• Love 1
On 5/14/2017 at 9:30 AM, Milburn Stone said:

One problem is they're missing the point of Spicer. Spicey as "toxic anger guy" worked when we first knew Spicer, because that did seem to be the guy's problem. But the problems with Spicer have grown so much worse (incompetence, incoherence, inability to get out a simple English sentence) that anger is the least of it. The show is stuck in a characterization that no longer makes sense.

I agree.  There's so much more they could do.  I was hoping they'd mock his rambling incoherence, not the anger.  That's old news.

• Love 1