Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: Maddie Gets Married

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Kody's speech was awful but I wonder if he has anxiety issues which make him blurt out stupid stuff?

This could have been remedied if he'd started working on what he wanted to say MONTHS ago. And practiced. And practiced, and practiced, and practiced. It's not like he has many other pressing matters to attend to. 

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

This could have been remedied if he'd started working on what he wanted to say MONTHS ago. And practiced. And practiced, and practiced, and practiced. It's not like he has many other pressing matters to attend to. 

This. I am a very anxious public speaker but was asked to do a reading at my sister's wedding. I wanted to do it so I practiced almost daily for about a month beforehand and it helped immensely. I was familiar enough with the words that my nerves didn't short circuit my brain, which is what I think happened to Kody.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

My current theory on Christine: She is happy all the time not because she is getting more sex, but because she is just a child at heart and in mind. I think she is very sheltered and when she was giggling so much at the cookie tasting, I think it is because she has so little experience with everything, she is just so happy to be doing something fun. 

A quote near and dear to me, but I don't know who to credit...""He who laughs loudest suffers in silence""

I think Christine uses bubbly and silly to cover pain.  She is a fully indoctrinated polygamist child (raised in a closed bubble) who has been taught women always "keep sweet" on the surface because that is the way it is.  Yet she admitted at some point in a couch session that she had "cut back on the amount of depression meds" but not long ago made a comment about drinking her wine at bedtime.  She learned right quick what jealousy and pain really was when she watched her "fun" husband fall head over heels with his new wife.

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Truely become ill while all the happy sisterwives were on a road trip to San Francisco to buy dresses for their re-commitment ceremony?  (Because there are no nice dresses for sale in Las Vegas?)  The kids were left with Kody, who delegated responsibility to the older kids.  Wasn't it one of them (Aspyn?) who finally became so concerned because Truely's temperature was so high and she was extremely lethargic?

Yes, this is what happened. Kody was put in charge of all the kids, but naturally passed the buck to Aspyn. 

51 minutes ago, ladle said:

I was recently watching that episode of "The Office" where Michael makes Phyllis's wedding all about him -- just as he does everything else -- and I realized that Kody is the Michael Scott of this family.  Jenelle is dour Phyllis.  Mykelti is Kelly Kapoor.  Robyn is Angela, prudish and cunning.  Caleb and Mady are Jim and Pam, getting married in advance because they know Michael will muck up the ceremony.  ...If you've never seen The Office, nevermind.  But it translates, I swear!   

YES!  I was just watching this episode the other night.  It does translate very very well.  lolol

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

He doesn't get a house to himself, so, does he keep his things spread out within the 4 houses? And where would he keep something like that he may not want everyone to see? I wonder now.

The most logical place I think is in his gun safe.  I doubt the wives would have reason to go into that, none of them seem to have an interest that they have ever shown.

2 hours ago, ladle said:

I wonder if the women all secretly read Kody's journals to see what he's been doing with the other wives.   

Yet she was still somehow able to cast all that shade on Meri.  Zing!

Perhaps she'll follow Kody's lead and throw her a wetbar mitzvah.  Zing zing!

I was recently watching that episode of "The Office" where Michael makes Phyllis's wedding all about him -- just as he does everything else -- and I realized that Kody is the Michael Scott of this family.  Jenelle is dour Phyllis.  Mykelti is Kelly Kapoor.  Robyn is Angela, prudish and cunning.  Caleb and Mady are Jim and Pam, getting married in advance because they know Michael will muck up the ceremony.  ...If you've never seen The Office, nevermind.  But it translates, I swear!   

Omg! Awesome!!blowing the surprise cake! Totally Michael Scott, forgetting the rings, suddenly deciding he's kosher at a pig roast, cleaning out the wrong hose on the rv and getting his family's shit spilled on his shoes, etc he's Michael Scott!! What a hapless doofus, I can never look at him now without thinking that! Lol lol

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I think the last time they tried it at least one of the older girls either refused to go or pitched a fit about it. Sure wouldn't go over well if they  all boycotted the fabulous chance to listen to their High Lord on Earth blather on extemporaneously for an hour or more.  I mean, who wouldn't look forward to that kind of gibberish.

Maddie was the difficult one. 

On December 19, 2016 at 1:20 PM, giaNtsandYankees said:

I wonder if quiet and withdrawn ol Janelle was throwing some shade toward her former sister in law turned sister wife with the whole, "Marriage sucks. You'll spend many years hating each other" speech.

She definitely wasn't referring to het first marriage...even though we're under the impression that it "sucked" since that one ended...

She actually said at one point in the speech, "you look around and think, these people are horrible...", lol lol, that wedding had so many snarky nuggets. :)

• Love 9
On December 19, 2016 at 3:20 PM, laurakaye said:

On the topic of Savannah, I wonder how deeply it wounded her that Truly was the flower girl.  It seems that Maddie could've had both Savannah and Truly as flower girls.  In fact, Savannah could've walked down with King Sol to keep him in line instead of having to watch Meri run alongside him halfway down the aisle.

Agree, it's so easy to do it right, and make it such a wonderful memory for a little girl, and really everybody. But instead, no thought or care. Janelle put more thought into her need of fishing, than nudging maddie into letting little savannah be included. That would have been such an honor for Savannah. When my daughter as asked to be a flower girl, she was beside herself with joy for MONTHS. And still has her basket saved in the back of her closet. They are really such stupid people. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Agree, it's so easy to do it right, and make it such a wonderful memory for a little girl, and really everybody. But instead, no thought or care. Janelle put more thought into her need of fishing, than nudging maddie into letting little savannah be included. That would have been such an honor for Savannah. When my daughter as asked to be a flower girl, she was beside herself with joy for MONTHS. And still has her basket saved in the back of her closet. They are really such stupid people. 

Agree completely. I was Savannah's age when one of my brothers got married. They decided to call me a "junior bridesmaid" but I helped the ring bearer, my nephew who was 2 1/2 at the time, get down the aisle to sit with my mom on the front row. It's not that hard.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, theironwoman said:

I just remembered another bizarro moment: Kody talking about the vows and the importance of love and marriage to his "best friend" who I don't think said a single word back.

Was it clear who he was talking about at the time?  I could see all the wives wondering who he was talking about at the time.  Hell, even Caleb might have been a little worried at that point, while he thought back to make sure it was Maddie's name on the marriage license.

• Love 4

Also, you'll notice she's hugging the same girl in a lot of the pictures including the one with the rainbow filter

Those girls are her sisters. The one in the tent is Aspyn. I don't know the other ones well enough, but, the younger wavy haired one is def. a sister. It's not Savannah though. I think it's Gwendolyn.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Was it clear who he was talking about at the time?  I could see all the wives wondering who he was talking about at the time.  Hell, even Caleb might have been a little worried at that point, while he thought back to make sure it was Maddie's name on the marriage license.

He was talking about Meri's sister's husband. I want to say his name was Nathan but I'll have to watch that bit again to confirm.

12 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

She actually said at one point in the speech, "you look around and think, these people are horrible...", lol lol, that wedding had so many snarky nuggets. :)

I literally LOL'd and OMG'd through most of this episode including that quote! I think I may have clapped a few times too while I was laughing. It was predictably hilarious! I found this site shortly after even though I've been watching since the very beginning. (So happy to have found you guys btw! XOX)

There were so many great comedic moments both intentional and unintentional in this ep. I try not to judge when someone is doing or saying something outrageous (like Janelle's speech imo), because in my mind, we all do stuff other people might think is outrageous to some degree from time to time (i.e. nobody's perfect).

The Browns  seem so sincerely unaware that they're doing anything anyone would construe as odd, snarky, or "bizarro" ;) and they're in a closed feedback loop so they're likely to never know because everyone is either just like them or enables their behavior for some reason or another. It's fascinating to observe! 

7 hours ago, theironwoman said:

I just remembered another bizarro moment: Kody talking about the vows and the importance of love and marriage to his "best friend" who I don't think said a single word back.

Caught that too!

4 hours ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

Those girls are her sisters. The one in the tent is Aspyn. I don't know the other ones well enough, but, the younger wavy haired one is def. a sister. It's not Savannah though. I think it's Gwendolyn.

You're right. I see now that the one in the tent is Aspyn but I don't think the one in the rainbow picture is a sister. I'm not 100% sure though.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, trose said:

I literally LOL'd and OMG'd through most of this episode including that quote! I think I may have clapped a few times too while I was laughing. It was predictably hilarious! I found this site shortly after even though I've been watching since the very beginning. (So happy to have found you guys btw! XOX)

I know, right?  Watching Kody's hair get all twitchy with stress, listening to Janelle's thinly-veiled (LOLZ) speech about how haterz gonna hate but don't worry, you'll get used to it in, like, 25 years or so...I almost didn't know how to react.  Guffaw?  Cringe?  Applaud?  Drink?  All of the above?  

I think I was mostly stupefied, followed closely by trying not to fall off the couch laughing.  

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

Janelle's passive-aggressive speech at her daughter's wedding had me in stitches.  I doubt Janelle knew how bad it was.  Kody knew!  

Right? I was floored. I wonder if, looking back, she'd change it if she could. I get the whole "the road will get bumpy" part of wedding speeches but my gosh that was over the top. She may as well have been on the couch with Nancy.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

Right? I was floored. I wonder if, looking back, she'd change it if she could. I get the whole "the road will get bumpy" part of wedding speeches but my gosh that was over the top. She may as well have been on the couch with Nancy.

Not the couch . . . the love seat.  With Meri.  It was that uncomfortable.

• Love 8
On 12/21/2016 at 5:59 PM, VedaPierce said:

Omg! Awesome!!blowing the surprise cake! Totally Michael Scott, forgetting the rings, suddenly deciding he's kosher at a pig roast, cleaning out the wrong hose on the rv and getting his family's shit spilled on his shoes, etc he's Michael Scott!! What a hapless doofus, I can never look at him now without thinking that! Lol lol

I'm dying. This comparison is SO APT! Bahahahaaaa

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Alapaki said:

Kody?  Excuse me, Kody?  The phrase "passing on the baton of my love for my daughter" is really fucking phallic and disturbing.  Keep you baton in your pants, you sick fuck.

And Janelle?  You're married to this fuck-up, who is officiating your daughter's wedding, and it's lingerie that embarrasses you?

Ugh yes! this WAS so so cringeworthy. The way Kody talked about Maddie all the way through was uncomfortable. And the idea he "passes" something to Caleb or gives something away is so strange; she's still your daughter! You can still love her fyi ! !!

• Love 1
On December 20, 2016 at 0:47 AM, this-one-is-mine said:

I've always thought it was weird that Kody wasn't attracted to Christine for a long time after they met (the dumbass admits this). Christine, IMO, is by far the most attractive of the wives. Her personality is also the best. It's just pretty nuts that a guy who was married to Meri and Janelle, who are pretty damn unappealing in every way, found Christine lacking in the looks department.

He wasn't attracted to her BECAUSE of her big personality. She is loud and funny and takes all of the attention in the room, and Kody can't share a spotlight, he must always be the center of attention. He should have persued drama in school, it really suits him, but I'm sure that wasn't ever going to be an option coming from the kind of family he was raised in.

• Love 8

And then there is chemistry.  Maybe she doesn't appeal to him, no matter what.  Look at Prince Charles and Diana and then Camilla.  Yes personality has something to do with it, but there has to be that something else too in my opinion.  YMMV

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

And then there is chemistry.  Maybe she doesn't appeal to him, no matter what.  Look at Prince Charles and Diana and then Camilla.  Yes personality has something to do with it, but there has to be that something else too in my opinion.  YMMV

Honestly, I believe that Kody at his core is a romantic monogamist.  His father was a true creep.  Kody entered polygamy solely to win his father's love and approval.  The father had this useless lump (Jenelle) living on a tent on his property.  Kody took ownership of the pet divorcée, solving his father's problem while entering the Principle (just like Daddy).  Hero Kody - Best son ever!!  Soon after he married Christine for purely political reasons - because if he's going to be FLDS, he's going to be a better FLDS than his father.  His only true marriages/relationships were Meri and Robyn.  He could have divorced Meri at any time to marry Christine or Jenelle but never did because he actually never considered himself in a romantic relationship with them.

• Love 10
On December 21, 2016 at 10:05 AM, MollyBrown said:

Everytime I see Kody dance I roll my eyes.  He is such an attention whore.   

I want ant to see the family tone down their adoration of him (glad to see some members doing that) and watch him wilt. 

I think we saw a bit of that in Hawaii when he had a mini tantrum while playing with Legos. Everyone seemed excited about the luau but nobody seemed to have ran it by Kody first for approval, and he lashed out and pouted and embarrassed himself. I bet living with him is exhausting. 

• Love 6

Hi all! Have gone back to lurking here for quite some time and finally decided to chime in again on this episode which was unintentionally hilarious! I agree 100% with everyone about Janelle's terrible wedding speech. I understand she is pragmatic but couldn't she be a little more positive on such an ocassion?? It was innapropriate not to mention very impersonal and uninspired. Also thought Kodys comments about Maddies dress were a bit creepy but I don't think he meant it in that way. He just has a lot of foot in mouth moments. I am sure Maddie suggested Kody officiate the wedding at the urging of producers. She was so focused and in charge with the wedding planning and knows how her family embarrasses; I don't think she would come up with that kind of thing on her own. 

I wish there was some more time spent on the siblings and bridesmaids and their thoughts on   Everything. Had to fast forward through a lot of  Kody rambling. Maddie looked pretty and I like her long hair. 

I like the theory that Maddie and Caleb were already married prior to this filming. I got that feeling too. Having just had my first baby myself, just based on my experience, I gotta say Maddie definitely looks more like five months along in that magazine article photo! And if she is feeling tons of kicking? And the baby's not due till May? Yeah, I don't buy it. 

Anyhow, I wish her a smooth pregnancy and delivery.  Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone :-) 

Edited by purpleflowers
  • Love 10
On 12/21/2016 at 3:26 PM, gonecrackers said:

He doesn't get a house to himself, so, does he keep his things spread out within the 4 houses? And where would he keep something like that he may not want everyone to see? I wonder now.

He loves to make a big dramatic production (wow thst phrase sums up Kody ?) about how it's so hard for him to have FOUR pairs of shoes - one at each house, etc. 

i don't think he could truly hide anything from Christine or Robyn's snooping eyes. Meri doesn't care anymore, and Janelle is so blind she might respect privacy, but Christine and Robyn look like total snoops.  

• Love 5

Does anyone else remember them all talking about how getting married wasn't to get in the way of Maddie's education? What ever happened to that? Did she ever graduate? She got pregnant almost immediately after getting married after saying she was going to finish her education and it's weird that that's never been addressed during the show because it was sooo important way back when but all that went right out the window once she got married. I suspect the same will happen with Mykelti. 

• Love 1
Just now, trose said:

Does anyone else remember them all talking about how getting married wasn't to get in the way of Maddie's education? What ever happened to that? Did she ever graduate? She got pregnant almost immediately after getting married after saying she was going to finish her education and it's weird that that's never been addressed during the show because it was sooo important way back when but all that went right out the window once she got married. I suspect the same will happen with Mykelti. 

On May 11, she tweeted "I am still going to college. Still going to follow through to grad school. Now Caleb is as well. That is all!"

I think she also tweeted that she and Caleb had plans to move to Laramie to ostensibly start school at U of Wyoming. Not sure what Caleb is going to study in grad school....? Or maybe she means he's going to be starting his undergrad....? Whatever, that's not going to happen. He repairs mining equipment for god's sake. He probably makes pretty good money in the trades, which they especially need now considering the new baby and all. 

I also don't see Maddie going to law school. Hell, I'd be surprised if she even got her bachelor's degree.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, NotEatingKale said:

On May 11, she tweeted "I am still going to college. Still going to follow through to grad school. Now Caleb is as well. That is all!"

I think she also tweeted that she and Caleb had plans to move to Laramie to ostensibly start school at U of Wyoming. Not sure what Caleb is going to study in grad school....? Or maybe she means he's going to be starting his undergrad....? Whatever, that's not going to happen. He repairs mining equipment for god's sake. He probably makes pretty good money in the trades, which they especially need now considering the new baby and all. 

I also don't see Maddie going to law school. Hell, I'd be surprised if she even got her bachelor's degree.

One would think the elder Browns (or at least one of them) would have stressed that getting pregnant while in school is one of the worst decisions a couple can make. Or that M & C would have realized that themselves via the Internet, observing other people irl, logic & reasoning, their own bad memories, etc. I don't know what their beliefs are regarding birth control but it's entirely possible (and easy imo and experience) to avoid pregnancy using natural methods. They could have easily postponed having a baby for a couple of years. If the Brown children are wise enough to see that plural marriage isn't for them, why aren't they smart enough to see that having babies so young isn't the best idea? The only answers I can come up with is #babysteps and #progressisslow.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, trose said:

One would think the elder Browns (or at least one of them) would have stressed that getting pregnant while in school is one of the worst decisions a couple can make. Or that M & C would have realized that themselves via the Internet, observing other people irl, logic & reasoning, their own bad memories, etc. I don't know what their beliefs are regarding birth control but it's entirely possible (and easy imo and experience) to avoid pregnancy using natural methods. They could have easily postponed having a baby for a couple of years. If the Brown children are wise enough to see that plural marriage isn't for them, why aren't they smart enough to see that having babies so young isn't the best idea? The only answers I can come up with is #babysteps and #progressisslow.

The Browns aren't exactly crack decision makers themselves, so it doesn't surprise me that the apple doesn't fall far from the trees.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I got that impression as well.  

Lots of people have crappy parents and rise above it.  I don't buy the "boo-hoo, my daddy was mean so I turned into a jackass" excuse.  Look in the mirror, dude, see what a jerk you are and fix it.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, trose said:

I also don't know what their beliefs are about birth control but starting out with a kid so early doesn't sound promising for the female halves of these marriages (just my opinion). I know women who finished college, established a career and then managed to balance work with a baby.

Some women are meant to have kids and are truly happy and fulfilled as mommies--but I know a few women who had kids very young and they're now wondering where their lives went--they've got no money for college (they're trying to help the kids), and now feel "stuck". 

• Love 3

Wyoming native here. Crusty old rancher types like Winn (Wynn?) Brown are a dime a dozen. Kids find varying ways to meet, adapt, reject parental expectations and lead healthy lives. Kody had his response. We can offer some guesses about that response based on snippets we see in the show, but who knows. As others have pointed out, childhood traumas need not be adult destinies.

Also affirming what others are offering about young parents and school. I've encountered downright heroic stories among the adult students in my online courses. If Maddie makes it through a bachelor's degree with a child, now or in the future, more power to her. But it will never be easier than when she was as USU and school was her primary purpose. Heaven help Mykelti if she ends up in a similar situation. She doesn't seem to have the focus potential. But go ahead and prove me wrong, girlfriend. I'll be on the sidelines cheering you on.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
Typo
  • Love 9

We have to keep in mind that getting married and having children is the number one life focus of most LDS and these offshoots. It os pretty common for college students to be married and have kids while in school, to have dad in school, mom home with babies and not going until the nest is empty, etc.

Bringing presxistong family members into this life is more important than a college class. College is selfish when your family isn't yet together on earth. It's not my belief, but their culture.

i doubt if Maddy will be a lawyer, but you really can't hold every single thought a person says in their teen years to measure their success. She'll probably eventually finish an accounting degree or something, but that doesn't make her a failure for not fulfilling a teenage statement about going to law school. 

Every other college freshman is going to be a doctor, lawyer, fashion designer, news caster, etc, and maybe 2% end up doing that. Doesn't mean the other 98% are failures, just that their plans and circumstances changed.

• Love 12
On 24/12/2016 at 11:31 PM, VedaPierce said:

He wasn't attracted to her BECAUSE of her big personality. She is loud and funny and takes all of the attention in the room, and Kody can't share a spotlight, he must always be the center of attention. He should have persued drama in school, it really suits him, but I'm sure that wasn't ever going to be an option coming from the kind of family he was raised in.

I've always thought the multiple wives thing for Kody was an over compensation thing, if ya know what I mean.

• Love 9
On 12/19/2016 at 10:18 AM, Coffeegirl said:

I thought Maddie looked beautiful, other that that,  the wedding décor seemed to be a cluttered mess, it looked like laundry day, and what was with the metal pans filled with water that they lined the aisle with ? Kody as usual was a doughhead, from his so called officiating / stand up comedy routine, and between him and Caleb trying to give the bride a good case of whiplash on the dance floor.

The elk cake was grotesque, that is something to be saved for the Moose Lodge.

And Janelle is such a sad sack, she could hardly muster up a thank you when presented with her mother gift from Maddie, and her toast to the bride was awful, they had 10 months to prepare and as usual the parents did everything half-assed.   

It was filled with flower petals. Daisies I think. The wedding decor looked like Pinterest overload. I admire the fact that she did so much herself and stayed within a simple budget, but a couple of right splurges would have given her the wedding of her dreams. 

Half of the wedding issues would have been avoided if Madison had just decided to hire a proper day-of wedding planner who could corral the Browns. And choosing Kody to be th officiant was the worst idea. Does she not know her father the narcissist? They would have been better off going with a random person, a friend, or anyone who is a mature adult that understands what a huge task it was. Not Kody....shudder. 

Four wives, 18 children, 1 bromance, and nobody told Kody his cameltoe on those chinos was severely protruding the whole day. He needed one size up, or a jock strap. 

Edited by Spiderella2
Adding
  • Love 7

I don't remember, but did Kody do that knighting thing in any other kids, or just Logan? I know Duggar dad did it for all the boys...but Kody does play favorites. 

So my dad is a pastor. Legit pastor with over forty years under his belt. He has officiated at over five thousand weddings, and he's always on point.  Even so, I didn't have him conduct my wedding because I knew he would be emotional giving his daughter away. If I had asked him to, he would have done an exquisite job. 

Back to vows...desperate much? He couldn't write anything together? Type it all up and print it out?  Make it flow? Have it make sense? Is that too much work? Because this freak of consciousness avowal was a disaster. He was just all over the place. Madison is probably so glad that it's over. She should have made him rehearse Hope all the other siblings learned from this. 

Just think, TLC edited this. How long and horrible this episode would have been with no editing? 

Edited by Spiderella2
More
  • Love 8

I skipped through most of the wedding the first time, so I didn't really notice the decor.  But when they were standing at the gazebo, I noticed something flapping in the background.  Did someone do a load of sheets and hang them out to dry behind the venue?  That's what it looked to me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, toodles said:

I skipped through most of the wedding the first time, so I didn't really notice the decor.  But when they were standing at the gazebo, I noticed something flapping in the background.  Did someone do a load of sheets and hang them out to dry behind the venue?  That's what it looked to me.

That was "sporadic lace".

• Love 3
On 12/20/2016 at 9:51 PM, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

The mother of the bride isn't supposed to give a speech at the wedding. I'm surprised they made Janelle speak. The grandparents were there. I saw Janelle and Kody's moms in the cabin while the girls were getting ready.

That's weird. because in every wedding I've been to, it's always the mother of the bride, the best man, and the maid of honor who gave the speeches.

On 1/30/2017 at 4:38 PM, lexington11 said:

That's weird. because in every wedding I've been to, it's always the mother of the bride, the best man, and the maid of honor who gave the speeches.

In my experience its much more likely to be the father of the bride. But a lot more people these days have single moms (like Janelle- ha!) so there are probably more moms making speeches.