Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: Maddie Gets Married

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Mykelti only got the blip on the show tonight because the wedding was just held.  It will take them months to get to it in their timeline for a regular show. 

Yeah I assume that was just a teaser for next year's big "hook". That is if Mariah doesn't come out on camera first.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, VedaPierce said:

Janelle's speech was awful. This is what happens when you wing it and don't take the time to really put some thought and effort into your words. She only had an hours long car ride to sit and work on a speech for her daughters' wedding day. Janelle is so lame. 

She did not one thing to prepare. She's so used to being checked out and letting the others handle stuff that she wanted to go fishing the morning of her daughter's wedding. I just can't...

• Love 8

“I can’t believe Maddie is getting married.  It seems like just yesterday, you and I were getting married.” Meri seems to take every opportunity to remind Kody and the other wives that she was his first wife. This family would have people believe that they are extremely close, and yet, Kody admitted that Maddie told him to stay out of her life.  I believe some of these kids hate their father. 

I think it’s weird that Maddie is now aunt to her first cousins. I guess it’s to be expected when your family tree is a wreath.  I am disappointed Logan and Savannah weren’t a part of the wedding.  Given that Savannah is her only full sister, she really should have been.  I wish Janelle had prepared a speech.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, MelissaMinion said:

I need to stop now, because I'm getting too poop-stormed about how Maddie's parents made this all about them....

Right? Kody's vows were all. about. him. I'm surprised the idiot didn't insist on walking each wife down the aisle. And don't get me started about "knighting" Caleb. WTF.

Maddie owes Meri a HUGE thank you for managing that wedding. Too bad the other wives (esp Janelle) didn't properly recognize her in the couch sessions.

As a retired game warden I have to say, that elk cake was cool AND anatomically correct.

• Love 20
17 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Mykelti only got the blip on the show tonight because the wedding was just held.  It will take them months to get to it in their timeline for a regular show. 

I wonder if TLC knows the show won't be around for a full-fledged episode. It wouldn't be seen for at least 6-8 months the way they film and schedule this show.

• Love 1

Good gosh, Caleb was swinging Maddie around like Godzilla with a railroad car on the dance floor. 

Maddie did make a beautiful bride.

The venue was lovely and what a perfect day. Would have liked to have seen more hanging plants though. Still iffy about those 'dreamcatchers'

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Dial it down Kody... I am cringing in embarrassment just watching him doing this ceremony 

Oh dear....

I had to turn the channel during the ceremony. Kody was so embarrassing I couldn't watch!

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 17

I thought Kody's part was okay.  But Janelle's was horrible.  It didn't even seem to start with something positive about marriage, it was basically don't forget that a lot of marriage sucks.  It didn't even seem like she said it worth it sort of in "labour of love" kind of way.  It was too negative for a wedding.  

Maddie looked great.  It was nice so see one older Brown daughter not be too overweight for her age.

I only just realized how old Truly is, she definitely has an issue saying r sounds.  I was trying to listen for CH and SH sounds to see if she has an issue there too but I didn't notice.  Poor girl cannot even say her own name.  Hopefully she is getting speech therapy at school.  My daughter had speech therapy last year, as a parent I had noticed the speech problem but thought you just outgrow it (it was not as bad as Truly, as Truly still sounds like a toddler) so maybe the Browns haven't really noticed?  In my daughter's case I had a lot of relatives just tell me it would go away and speech therapy is overkill.  They were pretty aggressive about too, like getting a therapist means my kid is defective.  No shame in getting speech therapy.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, fountain said:

I thought Kody's part was okay.  But Janelle's was horrible.  It didn't even seem to start with something positive about marriage, it was basically don't forget that a lot of marriage sucks.  It didn't even seem like she said it worth it sort of in "labour of love" kind of way.  It was too negative for a wedding.  

Maddie looked great.  It was nice so see one older Brown daughter not be too overweight for her age.

I only just realized how old Truly is, she definitely has an issue saying r sounds.  I was trying to listen for CH and SH sounds to see if she has an issue there too but I didn't notice.  Poor girl cannot even say her own name.  Hopefully she is getting speech therapy at school.  My daughter had speech therapy last year, as a parent I had noticed the speech problem but thought you just outgrow it (it was not as bad as Truly, as Truly still sounds like a toddler) so maybe the Browns haven't really noticed?  In my daughter's case I had a lot of relatives just tell me it would go away and speech therapy is overkill.  They were pretty aggressive about too, like getting a therapist means my kid is defective.  No shame in getting speech therapy.

I would hope she is getting it by now. My son is 10 and has been seeing his speech therapist since he was 7 (that was when we really felt he wasn't going to just grow out of it). He is better but still obvious to strangers that he isn't pronouncing letters and words like a normal child his age. So Truly could be getting help already and just no showing improvement yet. 

• Love 3
Just now, b2H said:

When I saw Mariah crying during the procession, my thought was, yeah, because this will probably never be you.  It wasn't a nice thought, but even if same sex marriage is legal where she lives, the family isn't going to make this big a deal out of her marriage.

I have a feeling Meri already knew Mariah was gay... Meri looked kind of wistful at some points during the wedding. Like she already knew she wasn't going to have an event of this celebratory magnitude for her daughter. 

Edited by NotEatingKale
typo
  • Love 5

So... with as many kids as they have, you'd think the Browns would know when one has a speech issue.

I'm a big crybaby-- I even cry at commercials.  And I cried a lot during this episode.  I've lost both parents-- Dad just this past September-- so it really brought out a lot of emotions. 

For those commenting on the little blurb on MyKelti's wedding, I remember that when Maddie first got engaged we found out during a blurb before the actual show date.  As for the preview, secretly I'm hoping Mariah is pregnant, although if that were the case we'd have heard about that, an unwed Brown daughter having a baby.

• Love 6

Kody ruining the groom cake surprise, loudly announcing that he "KODY BROWN!" was giving Maddie away, slipping in a Dirty Harry reference and then forgetting the rings entirely was so cringeworthy that I was hiding under my blanket watching. 

Having said that, Caleb and Maddie do seem very well suited to each other and very happy together. I think they have a real shot to make it. Caleb very clearly sees that Kody is a fool so I have some faith in him. 

• Love 21

Kody made me cringe all night in embarrassment.  He really was at his worst over and over. Blowing the cake surprise, uninspiring alter speech, forgetting the rings, he just kept stepping on his dick. I kinda started to feel sorry for him...

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

Kody ruining the groom cake surprise, loudly announcing that he "KODY BROWN!" was giving Maddie away, slipping in a Dirty Harry reference and then forgetting the rings entirely was so cringeworthy that I was hiding under my blanket watching. 

Having said that, Caleb and Maddie do seem very well suited to each other and very happy together. I think they have a real shot to make it. Caleb very clearly sees that Kody is a fool so I have some faith in him. 

Wrote exact same thing at the same time! Lol

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, NotEatingKale said:

I have a feeling Meri already knew Mariah was gay... Meri looked kind of wistful at some points during the wedding. Like she already knew she wasn't going to have an event of this celebratory magnitude for her daughter. 

Well, Janelle DID make a comment about how Mariah needs to find the right person. I get the feeling Meri will "Zilla" a fantastic gay wedding for Mariah when the time comes, just because.

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, spidermiss2426 said:

So... with as many kids as they have, you'd think the Browns would know when one has a speech issue.

I'm a big crybaby-- I even cry at commercials.  And I cried a lot during this episode.  I've lost both parents-- Dad just this past September-- so it really brought out a lot of emotions. 

For those commenting on the little blurb on MyKelti's wedding, I remember that when Maddie first got engaged we found out during a blurb before the actual show date.  As for the preview, secretly I'm hoping Mariah is pregnant, although if that were the case we'd have heard about that, an unwed Brown daughter having a baby.

It doesn't seem likely that Mariah is pregnant since she's gay and I doubt she's take medical steps to get pregnant while she's still in school. 

• Love 2

I hate seeing that picture of Maddie - a six month old that weighs less than at birth.  I'm shocked they let it get that bad. They had had three babies by then and knew the drill.  I don't think Maddie was neglected, but more and more pediatricians and ER docs suspect abuse or neglect in failure to thrive babies.  I wonder if their polygamy paranoia kept them from taking Maddie to the ER.  The baby should have had a feeding tube placed.  

Again, I don't suspect them of abuse or neglect, but Maddie didn't get the proper medical intervention.  Whether it's because they had an incompetent doctor, or their fears kept them from more aggressively persuing a diagnosis, I don't know. 

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, NotEatingKale said:

Well. She COULD. There would just be two brides. 

Do we know that Mariah is gay, or is this just speculation? And what is the view of that from the Brown's "religion?" 

And what kind of sex talk does Kodouche give Mariah and her girlfriend? Jesus Christ, that would be a poopshow. Or whatever he said tonight.....

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, 3girlsforus said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's creepy for the father of the bride to write the vows?  That just creeps me out. 

Normally, yes it is creepy. But of course Kody had to make the vows all about him so it was both creepy AND cringe-worthy. What was also creepy was how he kept commenting on Maddie's appearance. I know all father's think their daughters are beautiful on their wedding days but it was really too much.

I always thought the vows were basically a set of statements the bride and groom made, either themselves or by the officiant, that stated how they were going to live and honor their marriage. Kody was just rambling on and on about nonsense, you couldn't even call it a sermon. At the end, it sounded like he rushed out some vows but it was so fast I couldn't really understand what he was saying. Hopefully the rest of the kids will see this trainwreck of a service and NOT ask Kodouche to write the vows or speak a word at their weddings.

Kody doesn't seem aware enough to keep journals. Plus didn't he say he couldn't remember all his kid's lives growing up because he was gone or busy? I guess Janelle gave him the Cliff Notes on Maddie so he could write the vows. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Do we know that Mariah is gay, or is this just speculation? And what is the view of that from the Brown's "religion?" 

And what kind of sex talk does Kodouche give Mariah and her girlfriend? Jesus Christ, that would be a poopshow. Or whatever he said tonight.....

It's speculation based on an Instagram in her name, with obvious lesbian over tone, and pics of women doing things like tugging the ring in their nipple. 

The Browns have said with the large number of children, they surely have one or two who are gay.   They don't seem upset about that fact. 

• Love 2

What's the scoop on Mindy?  She's Robyn's cousin, right?  And their nanny?  Cuz my theory is she's secret wife #5.  She's always looking googly-eyed at Kody, and she seemed to play a pretty prominent role in the wedding (bridesmaid, sat right next to Janelle and Kody) for a nanny (no disrespect to nannies!). And she's a Jessup.  Anyone else think so?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

What's the scoop on Mindy?  She's Robyn's cousin, right?  And their nanny?  Cuz my theory is she's secret wife #5.  She's always looking googly-eyed at Kody, and she seemed to play a pretty prominent role in the wedding (bridesmaid, sat right next to Janelle and Kody) for a nanny (no disrespect to nannies!). And she's a Jessup.  Anyone else think so?

I think Mindy has made it clear on social media that she has no interest in Kody. She has big googly eyes regardless.  A few years ago the rumor was that Robyn's youngest sister Taralyce was going to be Wife 5. 

Wait, so even though they had a rehearsal, the Kodster didn't tell Maddie and Caleb about the knighting or the coronation or any of his other little "surprises"? Because it's all about making sure he's the spectacle. Caleb, you need to hide from her family. Kody, quit with the borrowing of other religious and cultural traditions. It's not okay.

And what was with the white dresses on several bridesmaids?

He so could have worked in a mention of his polygamy when he gave her away. "I do, Kody Brown her father and my four wives."

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I think Mindy has made it clear on social media that she has no interest in Kody. She has big googly eyes regardless.  A few years ago the rumor was that Robyn's youngest sister Taralyce was going to be Wife 5. 

Thanks, but why was Mindy a bridesmaid? 

• Love 1

So, hold up.  Kody gave Logan a bar mitzvah?!  Because he had a close Jewish friend?!  That is utterly ridiculous.  He looked like just as much of a jackass in those old pictures from the bar mitzvah.  The crazed facial expression, the bulging eyes . . . it's all there.  He just wanted an opportunity to show off for a roomful of people.  Again, nothing has changed with time.

I hated the fact that Janelle did next to nothing for the wedding.  Not even a pre-prepared speech!  I don't expect everyone to be eloquent or super emotional under pressure in front of a big group of people, but if you can't pull a bit of genuine emotion out of somewhere on your first daughter's wedding day, something is wrong.

Of course Kody forgot the damn rings, the idiot.  I would have killed him for that alone.  Each portion of that entire "sermon" was about him in some way.  His use of the word "poopshow," the movie quote at the beginning, and the "knighting" were appalling.  He just can't stand it when things are not all about him.  I'm not Maddie's biggest fan, but I don't blame her one bit for her neurosis during the wedding planning process.  She knew she was at a disadvantage with this bunch of morons involved.  I mean, her own mother saw nothing wrong with wanting to schedule a fishing outing the morning of the wedding.  At least they won't be living close by  

I'm wondering if Mariah is coming out next week.  That's probably way too easy.  It's most likely yet another bait-and-switch.  I hope that if she does, this bunch of dummies is supportive of her.  They claimed on an episode long ago to realize that one or more of their kids would be gay and said they would be cool with it.  Time to put up or shut up. 

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 12
58 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Normally, yes it is creepy. But of course Kody had to make the vows all about him so it was both creepy AND cringe-worthy. What was also creepy was how he kept commenting on Maddie's appearance. I know all father's think their daughters are beautiful on their wedding days but it was really too much.

I always thought the vows were basically a set of statements the bride and groom made, either themselves or by the officiant, that stated how they were going to live and honor their marriage. Kody was just rambling on and on about nonsense, you couldn't even call it a sermon. At the end, it sounded like he rushed out some vows but it was so fast I couldn't really understand what he was saying. Hopefully the rest of the kids will see this trainwreck of a service and NOT ask Kodouche to write the vows or speak a word at their weddings.

Kody doesn't seem aware enough to keep journals. Plus didn't he say he couldn't remember all his kid's lives growing up because he was gone or busy? I guess Janelle gave him the Cliff Notes on Maddie so he could write the vows. 

I completely agree that Kody's comments about her appearance were creepy too. The way he was talking about being sure he hadn't seen the dress so he'd have a reaction  was just sick. He isn't the groom. Dads do react to seeing their daughters in their wedding dress but the way he talked about it was just so off. And telling her she was the most beautiful bride he'd ever seen, and he'd married some real beauties...... so cringeworthy. Even his complements become about him and his gaggle of wives. 

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I completely agree that Kody's comments about her appearance were creepy too. The way he was talking about being sure he hadn't seen the dress so he'd have a reaction  was just sick. He isn't the groom. Dads do react to seeing their daughters in their wedding dress but the way he talked about it was just so off. And telling her she was the most beautiful bride he'd ever seen, and he'd married some real beauties...... so cringeworthy. Even his complements become about him and his gaggle of wives. 

Actually Kody said seeing his daughter in her dress for the first time on her wedding day wasn't really his thing.  Janelle said it was important to Maddie that he not see it before her wedding day. 

• Love 3
Just now, ChicksDigScars said:

The Browns only outwardly show support for Mykelti's marriage and she's straight.

I can't see them mustering up the same amount of enthusiasm they had for Maddie for when Mariah gets married to a woman. I know the Browns have said that they don't disapprove of gay marriage, but not because they believe in free love and all that jazz, but because of largely libertarian reasons -- what consenting adults do is none of my business, says Kody Brown, which makes sense considering his own non-traditional lifestyle. 

In gist, they wouldn't necessary disapprove, but because of their religion, they wouldn't exactly be happy either. 

• Love 3
Just now, SuzyLee said:

I'm wondering if Mariah is coming out next week.  That's probably way too easy.  It's most likely yet another bait-and-switch.  I hope that if she does, this bunch of dummies is supportive of her.  They claimed on an episode long ago to realize that one or more of their kids would be gay and said they would be cool with it.  Time to put up or shut up. 

She definitely will. The timeline fits too as Mariah only recently starting reblogging gay pictures and quotes on her tumblr in April 2016.  

I speculate they will be supportive, especially on camera. No doubt Meri is disappointed though. Her daughter was sort of the golden child for awhile because she was the only kid who openly spoke about her desire to live plural marriage. The only reason Kody and the moms were supportive of her going to that pricey Utah college was because Mariah wanted to live polygamy. She cried about how she wanted to be near their polygamous church so she could find a man who wanted a plural marriage.

The Browns are open-minded when it concerns people who aren't their family. I know the LDS church treats LGBTQ individuals poorly, but I'm not sure what their fundamentalist sect thinks. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, b2H said:

Kody did a bar mitzvah for Hunter because he thought it was cool???

Ee-jit.....

A "Bar Mitzvah" that involved KNEELING, y'all.

I recall his having mentioned this before (with the more generic key talking points almost verbatim: that they had Logan "Bar Mitzvahed," that that's not a usual practice in Their Faith, but that Kody Had A Jewish Friend, and he thought it--I assume he meant, though don't recall if he explicitly stated, the idea of "an entering manhood ceremony,"--was "a cool thing." But, sans the parts where he described the kneeling and KNIGHTING" and such).

At the time, while I didn't expect it was exactly a traditional* Bar Mitzvah, I guess I assumed it still involved Logan's studying, learning, and reciting at least a Haftorah and/or Torah portion, explaining its meaning and connection to his life/becoming a man, and then, along with whatever hybrid of the practices of The Church of the Fundamentalist Wet Bar, a public (insofar as any of their services are "public": so, Kody, however many kids he had by that year, and however many wives he had that year). 

And, while I guess Kody's description tonight doesn't rule OUT that any of that was done, I sure didn't get the sense that it involved LOGAN's learning and presenting any...anything, let alone religious scripture--whether they be Old Testament or Joseph Smith, or in Hebrew, English, or Klingon so much as KODY's making up some shit and presenting it, wherein HE was the subject of attention, and presenting it ONTO Logan, with Logan as merely the object. And then they probably had a "party," which we already know means spending a ton of money on ugly decorations for your otherwise-regular 42-member immediate family dinner. So, a regular day at the Browns', basically.

So, really, what Kody is talking about is "a coming of age ceremony," which has nothing more to do with a Bar Mitzvah (except for picking age 13, and we already know Kody had pushed Logan into the role of The Man of [his birth mother's/ siblings'] family way before that) than any other coming of age ceremony/rite of passage that is one of the many commonalities among many, many religions and cultures, whether it involve reciting from the Haftorah or being sent into the woods for three days alone or eating a rattle snake's ass. SO WHY THE FUCK NOT JUST CALL IT THAT? Coming of Age Ceremony, Rite of Passage into Adulthood, Become a Man/Knight Day, whatever. 

I don't know why this is even bothering me (fwiw, I'm culturally/ethnically Jewish and religiously (or, not-religiously?) atheist and was already quite certain of my complete lack of belief in religion by the time I became a Bat Mtzvah when I was 12, and I probably would have put my foot down about stopping Hebrew School/not doing the whole Bat Mitzvah thing a good two years before it, but the timing was such that my father left just a few weeks after we first were assigned our dates, and our temple was disgustingly unsympathetic (/offensive) to the whole situation, and I think it became this rather important "thing" to my mom to sort of prove that she could still put together this great event, her first thing as a single woman who'd basically just been left with two kids and little money, so I felt like it was too important to her to get up on my precocious little soapbox over (and, also, as a musician/vocalist, I just viewed it as my first solo concert :-). But, unlike Kody/Logan's fake, um, BM, in the end, it wasn't just about my Mom, either, as I was the one who still had to learn how to sing the tropes (symbols that serve kind of like music notes, but each representing a short musical phrase/string of notes, rather than one note at a time) and then apply them to be able to chant my Haftorah portion, and write a bunch of speeches, and do all of the other songs and shit to lead most of the service ... no one just blessed me and called me a knight (or a damsel or whatever gross sexist shit Kody would say).

Sorry, not to get all personal and shit, but rather just to give some background that surely informs my perspective: I'm not offended at his performing a religious ceremony that doesn't necessarily jibe with his beliefs, especially as I essentially did the same thing--nor on a personaI religious belief level; I think I'm more offended by his appropriating the name of something that--although it may have a range of meanings wrt specifics*--has at least a semblance of a recognized meaning and using it to describe something so antithetical to any known meaning, beyond the most basic "coming of age ceremony," for which there are plenty of perfectly good terms--like, uh, "coming of age ceremony"--already. Just as I'd be offended if he decided to call a tuna fish sandwich "tomato soup." Because, hey, they're both terms to refer to a light lunch option. When we use words to mean something so far from their generally understood meaning, language becomes meaningless or even contrary to communication and understanding (think: the use of "collateral damage" instead of "the murder of innocent civilians") and this vegetarian is gonna end up with a sandwich she won't eat instead of a soup she's getting excited just thinking about it.

AND, I guess I've just described Kodys existence and certainly another reason for the state of his marriages: his wives aren't great communicators to begin with, but they're trying to communicate with a putz who is so narcissistic as to believe he can just bend language so that the meanings of words are whatever he wants them to be. 

*and, even among those who are practicing Judaism and not solely cultural appropriation, "traditional" can (imho) cover a pretty significant range, so my original understanding/assumption of what this could have included/excluded/added from their own religious practices was that it could have been pretty cool, or innocuous at worst.

• Love 12

What was the deal with Kody's best friend? He kind of looked like a thin John Candy, and he never said a word. I know Kody never shut up, but he just sat there kind of googly eyed.

Why were there so many empty seats on the Brown side? And no grandparents? Don't they consider all the grandparents theirs?

Ysabel (if that's even the spelling) is a beauty. She always stands out to me as looking different than the other daughters. Looks like the younger girls are tall and thin. Maybe thanks to Christine slimming down. Kody doesn't seem to realize that she is the pretty wife now.

If Mariah came out on film I think we would have heard about it by now? It sort of looked like a tease for something big - and then she'll announce she's changing her major, or is going to forgive her mother and draw on thin eyebrows too.

I appreciate how much work went into the cake, but the cutting of it was gross to me. Meri adding her comments about the layer of fat did not help. But then I can't comprehend hunting, and I don't eat animals. To each their own, but give me a traditional cake to eat!  

• Love 7
6 hours ago, MegD said:

He so could have worked in a mention of his polygamy when he gave her away. "I do, Kody Brown her father and my four wives."

Oh, but he did. During the "vows"/ceremony, Kody said something along the lines of, "I know a lot about marriage...I have FOUR WIVES."

I rolled my eyes and said, "Oh geez" after that.

Trust Kody to add in the "Oh by the way, I'm a polygamist!...Did I mention I was a polygamist?" on the day of his daughter's wedding.

He also said something about his grandchildren accepting the gospel. Which gospel? The one that Caleb's family follows (Non-Denominational Christianity) or his own? I'm not even going to say Mormon Fundamentalism, because for Kody, it's all about the polygamy.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Actually Kody said seeing his daughter in her dress for the first time on her wedding day wasn't really his thing.  Janelle said it was important to Maddie that he not see it before her wedding day. 

I guess I didn't interpret that talking head the same way. To me Kody was saying that he wasn't going to react  when he saw Maddie in her dress for the first time because he's Kody the Testosterone King but he was still really into the idea that it was a big moment that should be planned. I'm not saying it right but to me the whole conversation sounded like a groom who was looking forward to that moment of seeing his bride rather than a father talking about his daughter. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I guess I didn't interpret that talking head the same way. To me Kody was saying that he wasn't going to react  when he saw Maddie in her dress for the first time because he's Kody the Testosterone King but he was still really into the idea that it was a big moment that should be planned. I'm not saying it right but to me the whole conversation sounded like a groom who was looking forward to that moment of seeing his bride rather than a father talking about his daughter. 

Why is that so creepy? I would do the same with my daughter because I prefer surprises and wouldn't want to spoil the actual wow factor on the day of. 

• Love 4

Kody writing the vows is still bothering me. Maybe my 25 years of marriage to only one man doesn't give me enough experience but I always thought that the vows were the promises that the bride and groom made to each other. Above I mentioned that it's totally creepy for a father to write that kind of this for his daughter. But it's also inappropriate for someone to write the vows who has such a radically different take on marriage, assuming that Caleb and Maddie really do intend to remain monogamous. Typically brides and grooms vow things like 'forsaking all others', 'take you as my partner' etc. Stuff that implies commitment and relationship. This is not what Kody knows anything about regardless of his 4 wives. Personally I'm a traditional vow kind of girl but if you are going to write your own - WRITE YOUR OWN!! Don't let your polygamist, man-child father do it. That's gross.

Now I will admit that I returned to the football game prior to the actual wedding so maybe his vows were appropriate for a monogamist, but it still just is so EWW. I'm not sure which is more EWW - Kody officiating and writing vows for Maddie or JB Duggar and Michelle "demonstrating" the first kiss at Jessa's wedding. So much cringe-worthy EWW. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, NotEatingKale said:

I know the Browns have said that they don't disapprove of gay marriage, but not because they believe in free love and all that jazz, but because of largely libertarian reasons -- what consenting adults do is none of my business, says Kody Brown, which makes sense considering his own non-traditional lifestyle

My take on this is....Religiously, they have to disapprove of gay marriage but logically and publicly they can't because they are also in a non-traditional marriage and they don't have an answer for that.  

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

My take on this is....Religiously, they have to disapprove of gay marriage but logically and publicly they can't because they are also in a non-traditional marriage and they don't have an answer for that.  

I think it will depend on when Mariah gets into a relationship. If it happens after the show is over she will be less likely to be accepted. But if she has a serious relationship while the show is still on, Kody will be all over it because it would be ratings gold. I really don't think he's capable of having an actual conviction (positive or negative) about anything. I hope Mariah isn't pressured into anything she isn't comfortable with because Kody wants to use her for financial gain. 

• Love 3