Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: Maddie Gets Married

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

All these girls need to step away - far away - from home hair dye!!!   They keep coloring - so the ends have absorbed way too much over time.   The colors look so harsh (not Aspyn), but Mykelti, Mariah and Maddie all look bad. 

Mariah and Maddie look so, so much better as blondes.  They did a flash back recently to an early scene with Mariah, and she was cute.  The grade school looking pic of Maddie looked just like Hunter.  I hadn't noticed the similarity before.  Maddie seems to be blessed with good skin, while Mariah seems to struggle.  And Maddie does look better with some sort of bang.

Mykelti looks better as a redhead.  And Aspyn has Christine's gorgeous hair.  I would kill for that.  I don't see the similarity between Mykelti and Mariah.  They're both bigger with dyed dark hair, but Mykelti has very fair skin, while Mariah has very ruddy skin, and a fuller face.

8 hours ago, wings707 said:

Sure but my gut says no. Mariah would do that privately with her parents first.  I think they have known for a long time. TLC might stage it though as I mentioned.

i think she may be telling them she wants to drop out of college and attend culinary school or something.  It does make sense for her to come out officially since her SM has let that cat out of the bag!  So could be.  I am torn clearly! 

I feel like the show is trying to fake us out.  Mariah looks likes she can barely contain her good news.  Is she going to announce grad school or some huge scholarship?  It would help if I knew who the strange woman is in the scene.  Besides her, I believe there's only parents present.

9 hours ago, Marigold said:

Janelle seems pretty checked out emotionally.  Maybe she didn't acknowledge how bad things had gotten with Maddie? 

If I remember correctly, Truly was rather sick and Christine didn't take her to the doctor until she was VERY sick. So, yeah, maybe it is a fear of doctors? 

It bothers me much more about Madison.  Truely was sick for a few days, and Christine is probably the most paranoid, and grew up with the fear, and false story about her grandfather's death.  Maddie was sick for more than six months.  Janelle wasn't raised polygamous, and wouldn't have those inherent fears ingrained since birth.  I think part of the problem was Janelle's passivity.  She probably prayed and waited for someone to do something.  Meri downplayed how much she nursed Maddie, but the others seem convinced that it was Meri's milk that saved Maddie.  That means lots of nursing.  There's no telling how much was stunted from seven months of severe malnutrition.  I wonder if they used clinicians rather than physicians, like many of them did for childbirth.

• Love 4

I've always thought it was weird that Kody wasn't attracted to Christine for a long time after they met (the dumbass admits this). Christine, IMO, is by far the most attractive of the wives. Her personality is also the best. It's just pretty nuts that a guy who was married to Meri and Janelle, who are pretty damn unappealing in every way, found Christine lacking in the looks department.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, this-one-is-mine said:

I've always thought it was weird that Kody wasn't attracted to Christine for a long time after they met (the dumbass admits this). Christine, IMO, is by far the most attractive of the wives. Her personality is also the best. It's just pretty nuts that a guy who was married to Meri and Janelle, who are pretty damn unappealing in every way, found Christine lacking in the looks department.

It was a political marriage. He married her to move up in their cult's structure and to gain credibility.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, CofCinci said:

It was a political marriage. He married her to move up in their cult's structure and to gain credibility.

That was what I figured when I heard him say he wasn't attracted to him but I don't really understand it. They aren't a part of a church community and don't seem to even have their home church stuff.  So why marry someone you aren't attracted to for status in something you aren't even active in?

• Love 4

I don't see that at all!  They both are very clear they don't want that for themselves.  Caleb said he enjoys Maddies  family and like that both families get along so well.  He said polyg is not for him, no judgement, just not his cup of tea. 

If the Browns were true Fundamentalist Mormons, and really believed in the polygamous lifestyle as a religious mandate, this would devastate them. Instead, they don't seem to mind at all that NONE of their older children, minus possibly Mariah, want to live polygamy. Their casualness about it all speaks volumes about how truly dedicated they are to their "religion". Kody is so worried about sex before marriage (but only with Mykelti, not Maddie), but has no negative feelings to express about Maddie marrying into a monogamous relationship.

• Love 5

For all the WTF- ness of the wedding ceremony --Kody's poopstorm as an officiant, the "knighting," Janelle's depressing toast, etc.--I did get a little misty at times, but I am a sentimental sap.

What struck me was in Maddie's letter to Caleb, she mentioned "sitting on the bed talking until 2 in the morning" when she realized she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. I guess the courtship wasn't chaste? And I don't think she meant for the letter to be read out loud in front of family and on camera.

• Love 9
55 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

That was what I figured when I heard him say he wasn't attracted to him but I don't really understand it. They aren't a part of a church community and don't seem to even have their home church stuff.  So why marry someone you aren't attracted to for status in something you aren't even active in?

I think it fed Kody's ginormous ego to have plyg royalty flirting and chasing him.  Plus, marrying Christine gave Kody's version of polygamy more credibility.  I will always think he chose polygamy more for his ego and less for the religion.

• Love 6

Why oh why are these episodes two hours long every time?  I fast-forwarded through Kody's drivel so many times.  And as a whole, they just repeat themselves over and over and over.

I did really love the wedding day overall, minus Kody.  I was so moved when Caleb was reading his letter and his sister and family had such a real response. Totally not scripted. 

I thought everyone here was going to be discussing Caleb and what is going on with his face, but I only saw one other poster mention it.  To me, he looks so different in the THs than he did at the wedding.  His jowls look really swollen, but it doesn't look like he's gained weight in the rest of his body.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 3

Maybe Kody marrying Christine was about getting a wife who he thought would be comfortable with plural marriage due to the tension between Meri and Janelle.  This makes more sense to me since there is nothing in his life that says he wanted move up in status anywhere. 

I watched the preview again. I didn't see anyone else in the clip other than family as someone mentioned.

She is very excited.  Does she tell them she is in love and moving in with her woman? That would be one way to announce this. Or maybe just moving to another state. She is both happily excited and fearful at the same time. 

It is not going to be better than our speculation, we know that! LOL. 

ETA. I think she wants to drop out of college  (fear) and giddie about her next step (excitement).  This is my final guess. Well, for today.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I think it fed Kody's ginormous ego to have plyg royalty flirting and chasing him.  Plus, marrying Christine gave Kody's version of polygamy more credibility.  I will always think he chose polygamy more for his ego and less for the religion.

I think at the time they were more involved in a church. Before the show started and they moved to Vegas many of the ids were enrolled in a private church run AUB school, (which Mariah kicked up a fuss about leaving.

I think they have been religious, except even more so than the Duggars they declined to show any real insight into this religion or what's so important about it to them (if anything) other than tired platitudes about how awesome your sisterwives are, even when it is clear you hate each other guts, especially when they know *about the sex y'all*.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

One question - didn't Maddie worry that she would step on something with the sole-less sandals?   She was walking on bark at one point, and I was waiting for her to scream after stepping on something.

After she gave the whole explanation of the "soleless sandal" they showed her lifting her foot and Jezzy (?) putting an actual shoe on her foot.  So maybe there was a plain kind of sandal or flip flop under the jewels that she wore for walking and switched to bare feet for indoors/on grass?

Interesting conspiracy theory about the pre-marriage.  Explains a lot.  Including Mykelti's bargaining power.  "Want two shotgun weddings this year, Kody?"

I don't think there's been any evidence or particular reason to believe that they did not seek appropriate medical treatment for Mykelti's failure to thrive.  It's a condition that isn't necessarily instantly curable by modern medicine, and wouldn't have been then.  If supplementing Janelle's breast milk was advised and she had access to another nursing mother and tried it, that doesn't mean she wasn't also having all the other appropriate interventions at the same time, but just that they wanted to highlight the sisterwives-ness of the story.  I don't really tie that in with delaying seeking help for Truely -- where that's concerned I think it might be a problem of having had a zillion kids, all of whom got your run of the mill bugs and got better, and eventually you might get a little blase about it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

ETA. I think she wants to drop out of college  (fear) and giddie about her next step (excitement).  This is my final guess. Well, for today.

Maybe she wants in the military and will go back to school after (ok ok wild guess but, you never know). 

Maddie tweeted that while she was watching the wedding episode that her baby was kicking up a storm. In a first pregnancy a woman starts to feel movement between 16-25 weeks. By her claimed due date she is only around 3 1/2 months pregnant. A bit early for her baby to be kicking up a storm, right??! 

• Love 21
13 minutes ago, Juliegirlj said:

Maddie tweeted that while she was watching the wedding episode that her baby was kicking up a storm. In a first pregnancy a woman starts to feel movement between 16-25 weeks. By her claimed due date she is only around 3 1/2 months pregnant. A bit early for her baby to be kicking up a storm, right??! 

Ha!  Love it.  Looking like a March baby to me!  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, AmyFarrahFowler said:

Did anyone catch Kody's reference to Maddie's "full pouty lips"? I think he was referring to her when she was a baby. That squicked me out so hard. I'm not sure I can continue watching. Frickin perv.

I have always thought Kody was a perv.  He sleeps and reproduces with four unhappy women openly and calls them marriages.

• Love 6

I thought it was just Caleb's bushy beard that was distorting his face. I've seen it before (hello TM2 Corey).

So wait, what's the pregnancy scandal? Just the due date she is claiming? Hasn't she been married about 6 months and looks 5 months pregnant? 

• Love 2

It seemed a bit off that Caleb's father declined to perform the ceremony- I'm starting to think it's true that he did indeed marry them previously while Caleb's mom was still alive. Could be why Caleb and Maddie were openly living together and also why she appears farther along in her pregnancy. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Juliegirlj said:

It seemed a bit off that Caleb's father declined to perform the ceremony- I'm starting to think it's true that he did indeed marry them previously while Caleb's mom was still alive. Could be why Caleb and Maddie were openly living together and also why she appears farther along in her pregnancy. 

I suspect that he declined to "perform" what is considered to be a sacred rite as part of the travesty of a reality TV show.  I'm actually surprised that he agreed to take part in the "knighting" portion.  It was interesting that he and his sons joined hands and prayed together before the wedding, which seemed to be a genuine reflection of their faith.  Did Kody even actually say a prayer during his "performance"?  I recall him saying something that ended with "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" - but it didn't sound solemn; it sounded more like a "thank goodness this is over with."

@EmeraldGirl, that's an interesting question about the pregnancy issue.  The confusion for most of us is that the magazine photo was dated in November and said she was due in May.  She seems much further along than that, and it's odd that they would feel the need to mislead people.  If they married in June, it's 100% possible that she could be 5 months pregnant in November.  (But I'm one who believes that Rev. Brush performed the actual ceremony before his wife died, and what we saw last week was just for the show.)

44 minutes ago, lma said:

I noticed this too. It was weird. He looked much better before. The Browns have gotten to him already. Everybody's looks are shot after spending time with them. See Robyn, for example.

Oh my goodness, did anyone else notice Robyn on the couch sessions?  She was all hunched over, her frown was so pronounced it looked like her lips were about to touch her chin, and she just looked exhausted (also that color blue did nothing for her).  Mind you, this did not keep her from chiming in on every single topic as the resident expert on everything.  But she was looking really rough.

Funny thing is - when one wife starts to take on that look, another will make up for it by suddenly becoming the "radiant" one.  I don't want to think about the source of the radiance too much, because yuck.  But I'm sure that when one wife is suffering, the others feel somewhat built up by that.  For example, I don't think I've ever seen Janelle so bubbly and happy as she was during Meri's catfish scandal.  Right now Christine is looking magnificent, while Robyn - her BFF - looks like she's aged 10 years.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 13
32 minutes ago, Juliegirlj said:

Could be why Caleb and Maddie were openly living together and also why she appears farther along in her pregnancy. 

Ah...maybe that's why Kody and Robyn didn't spout off about their living arrangements!  Yeah, Robyn...she's the most sanctimonious of the bunch.

• Love 1

I agree.

They were married by Caleb's dad right before his mom passed away. A kind and thoughtful thing to do. Not sure why they didn't disclose that.  I think it would've been understood and actually liked by the viewers.  

Caleb's dad did the official ceremony because he is an ordained minister and Kody did the spiritual wedding a few months later.   

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I agree.

They were married by Caleb's dad right before his mom passed away. A kind and thoughtful thing to do. Not sure why they didn't disclose that.  I think it would've been understood and actually liked by the viewers.  

Caleb's dad did the official ceremony because he is an ordained minister and Kody did the spiritual wedding a few months later.   

TLC already had their marriage on the story board and the entire season blocked out. The wedding had to happen.  Kody and Janelle must have been present at that wedding and maybe more of them as well.

It makes sense now why it appeared so disorganized.  The thrill of their marriage already happened.  Janelle might have  done a lot to pull off the early wedding so showed little interest in the details. 

Robin does look tired and down. That can happen with a new baby.  I still think she maybe wondering if having another was the best idea.  One of those, sounded good at the time regrets.  She and Kody were in that excited falling in love again stage at the time.  I don't see that sustaining them now.

The kids are getting older and the focus is shifting off of having more to the older kids futures.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Robin does look tired and down. That can happen with a new baby.  

Hormones play havoc, that's for sure, so I can't blame the woman if she's struggling emotionally.  However, as much as she plays the mother of five card, three of them are in school all day and old enough to have pretty independent social lives, Solomon is old enough for preschool (not sure if he attends), and she has full time help in the form of Mindy.   

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Kellyee said:

If the Browns were true Fundamentalist Mormons, and really believed in the polygamous lifestyle as a religious mandate, this would devastate them. Instead, they don't seem to mind at all that NONE of their older children, minus possibly Mariah, want to live polygamy. Their casualness about it all speaks volumes about how truly dedicated they are to their "religion". Kody is so worried about sex before marriage (but only with Mykelti, not Maddie), but has no negative feelings to express about Maddie marrying into a monogamous relationship.

I see this as well. I think it was more important to them in the beginning, but over time it's evolved into a thing that makes them very special and controversial.

That's all. 

3 hours ago, Juliegirlj said:

Yea, I did not feel anything with my first baby until about 4.5 - 5 months. The first feelings didn't even feel like kicks. More like popcorn. It was weird and hard to tell. With each subsequent baby I felt it earlier; around 12-13 weeks with my 3rd. Of course, "everyone is different", but I have 3 sisters and have participated in pregnancy forums. My experience is pretty typical from what I've found. Maddie definitely seems further along than what she's saying. Frankly, I don't care. I'm betting they were married earlier than this shitshow and already pregnant for the big production. They seem like a good couple, so more power to them.

• Love 2

I haven't seen the whole thing through yet but on the pregnancy speculation, there was a point where Caleb was getting ready & saying the usual wow it's here already type stuff when his brother or someone (sorry I can't keep them all straight), said something like 'next you'll be holding your baby'. Having been reading here that comment got my attention. It wasn't said like a someday baby, it was said like it was definitely happening next.

Anyone else catch that?

• Love 6

I don't get the whole going dark when you have blonde hair.  Natural blondes are extremely rare (only 1-2% worldwide) and normally have skin tones that look best with light hair.  There are tons of dark-haired women who would kill (or pay big bucks) to be blonde.  Just ask any hair stylist about that!

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, kassa said:

Hormones play havoc, that's for sure, so I can't blame the woman if she's struggling emotionally.  However, as much as she plays the mother of five card, three of them are in school all day and old enough to have pretty independent social lives, Solomon is old enough for preschool (not sure if he attends), and she has full time help in the form of Mindy.   

I totally agree!  I cut her no slack. Choose the action suffer the consequences.  She wanted 5 kids and now she has them. Hell she may want 6 for all I know.  Most kids in school, a nanny and doesn't work. Oh please. 

I'll say it again. I think her relationship with Kody may be in a rough spot. 

• Love 6

I think her relationship with Kody may be in a rough spot. 

And she deserves every minute of torment.  Maybe she'll have to paint him back out of the picture one of these days. With a Magic Marker.

• Love 14
27 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And she deserves every minute of torment.  Maybe she'll have to paint him back out of the picture one of these days. With a Magic Marker.

Too bad the Magic Eraser doesn't quite work that way. 

• Love 2

I guess the Browns haven't seen a TV wedding with a junior bridesmaid. Poor Savannah.

They blathered on about how Kody waited until the last minute to prepare a ceremony, but I wouldn't want Kody to officiate my wedding for the simple fact that he's so damn awkward. I don't think Mike liked it at all and was clearly just going along with Kody's idea because Kody was in the leadership position.

I didn't get the vibe that they were already married necessarily, but I did think Caleb's brother's comment about the baby implied that there was already a baby on the way. Yes, when you get married people make comments about having children, but they usually do it hypothetically or with an air of "someday." His comment didn't have that, but it was such a brief moment it could've been bad wording. 

Janelle's toast sums up this entire series. 

• Love 12
On 12/19/2016 at 0:54 PM, Jellybeans said:

Maddie was beautiful but she looks better as a blonde.  Janelle's toast was very negative- I think it's an insider's view to her own "marriage" to Kody.

But when she was blonde in that one pic they showed she was a DEAD RINGER for her mother.  Like for a minute I actually thought it was a picture of a younger (skinnier) Janelle.  I wonder if that's why she dyes her hair black? To avoid the association.

I honestly think the "Kody writing the vows" thing was a producer idea to create DRAMA!!!!  Asking Kody to do that when she must have known he would wing it seems like a very un-Maddie thing to do.  I mean, girl had this wedding planned down to the minute ("No one can arrive before 11:30!) and seemed like she'd put a lot of thought into every detail. It seems unlikely she would willingly give up one of the most important parts of the whole thing unless she was forced to somehow. Of course, if the above-mentioned early wedding conspiracy theory is true (which seems plausible) then maybe she really didn't care about the wording of the vows since they were already legally married.  But still.

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 6
On 12/19/2016 at 4:23 PM, ghoulina said:

I'd buy that was 3 months if it were a subsequent baby. But a first baby??? Eh, I don't think so. At 3 months with my first I just looked bloated. My pants didn't fit very well. But I honestly didn't really have a noticeable bump until 6 months. I know everyone is different, but that's been the case for most people I know. 

for my first and only baby I was HUGE from 6 weeks onward.  Edit:  OK, after reading the wedding-been-done theories, I think they are solid.  So my huge stomach aside, it's plausible she is further along than they are stating.  

On 12/19/2016 at 5:53 PM, Tdoc72 said:

blah blah about my 4 marriage

LOL

Edited by Granny58
8 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I think it fed Kody's ginormous ego to have plyg royalty flirting and chasing him.  Plus, marrying Christine gave Kody's version of polygamy more credibility.

somewhere long ago I read that the woman sets her sights on the man and basically decides they will be married.  I don't know if men have too much say in it, perhaps they feel it is the will of god.   I admit I'm not a plyg pro, so if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me. 

5 hours ago, AmyFarrahFowler said:

Did anyone catch Kody's reference to Maddie's "full pouty lips"? I think he was referring to her when she was a baby. That squicked me out so hard. I'm not sure I can continue watching. Frickin perv.

Yes, I caught it.  Gross.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, laurakaye said:

This makes sense. I have always thought that for Kody polygamy is much more about ego than religion as well but then it didn't make much sense to pick a woman you aren't attracted to. After all if you think you  are such hot stuff that you can satisfy 4 women then you obviously think you are above marrying someone you aren't into. But if marrying Christine gives him status then that would feed the ego as well so that makes sense. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

somewhere long ago I read that the woman sets her sights on the man and basically decides they will be married.  I don't know if men have too much say in it, perhaps they feel it is the will of god.   I admit I'm not a plyg pro, so if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me. 

Yes, I caught it.  Gross.

That sounds more like the Centennial Park Fundamentalist Mormon Group. They had a docu-series done about them called, "Polygamy USA." Better than "Sister Wives" in my opinion.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

Somewhere long ago I read that the woman sets her sights on the man and basically decides they will be married.

Depends on the sect. The Centennial Park folks (branched off from Jeff's FLDS) let the women decide. In other sects, the women/children have no say in who they marry. With the group I knew either the patriarch and/or the current wives would select someone (either together or independently). Christine has said she decided she wanted to marry Kody and the rumor mill said that Robyn also chased after Kody. So the AUB may be more open to the women having a say. I think Kody agreed to Christine because he needed a third wife and she was there at the right time (plus royalty).

6 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I think Christine actually said that the women choose based on a calling or testilony from Heavenly Father, and the men usually don't refuse. 

5 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Depends on the sect. The Centennial Park folks (branched off from Jeff's FLDS) let the women decide. In other sects, the women/children have no say in who they marry. With the group I knew either the patriarch and/or the current wives would select someone (either together or independently). Christine has said she decided she wanted to marry Kody and the rumor mill said that Robyn also chased after Kody. So the AUB may be more open to the women having a say. I think Kody agreed to Christine because he needed a third wife and she was there at the right time (plus royalty).

Robyn had that gross retaling of how she was divorced and her mother said she needed to 'get her scent out there', and she met Kody at a church dance. I think the word got out that the Browns were looking for #4 for a tv show, and she absolutely went after him.....but he also went after her, with Meri brokering things.

robyn's first husband is Christine's first cousin and Meri's step cousin. They may not have been tight, but they all absolutely knew of each other. 

Edited by RazzleberryPie
Fixed a mistake
  • Love 3

I was wondering if any of the children were interested in polygamy where would they meet others who were also interested.  The Browns don't seem to belong to any real church.  What religion to they follow exactly?

1 minute ago, LucyEth said:

I was wondering if any of the children were interested in polygamy where would they meet others who were also interested.  The Browns don't seem to belong to any real church.  What religion to they follow exactly?

The Browns were a part of the AUB (Apostolic United Brethren) Church. I read somewhere that the AUB had a community in the Las Vegas area (as well as in areas along the Midwest, Southwest and Western parts of the United States), which I guess the Browns aren't a part of - unless the Browns are considered a community onto themselves. But, I'll assume that like the Dargers, the Browns are "Independent Fundamentalists."

4 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

The Church of What Kody Says.  Services are held in one of the McMansions, during which none of the kids pay attention (to their benefit).  They used to profess to be AUB, but the AUB is apparently embarrassed by them and (per rumors) asked them to stop mentioning the church on the air.

• Love 7

They are an embarrassment to any religion.  The Church of What Kody says  to Fit the Situation and Keep TLC Interested is as far as it goes.  He changes the rules to meet whatever story is unfolding on the teevee.  Asshole.

• Love 7

I never cease to be amazed at Kody's disrespect for true faith and the beliefs of organized religions, as demonstrated by such things as holding a bar mitzvah for your non-Jewish son . . . because you think it's "cool."

Many years ago, our adult Sunday School class was studying Jewish customs of the Old Testament, and we asked around and found a synagogue where we were welcomed to visit as observers of their worship service.  We attended and respectfully observed their customs.  After the service, one of the leaders of the synagogue took us on a tour of the entire facility and related what we were seeing in their modern building as compared to the ancient tabernacle.  It was fascinating and educational.  I shudder to think what it would have been like if Kody had been there, playing the fool and making himself the center of attention.

• Love 12
On 12/19/2016 at 6:46 PM, notnowimbusy said:

Yep these girls have trouble with hair.  As their color grows out, they re-dye all over, instead of just going for the roots.   Until it grows out - or they get the color stripped (by a professional) it will always look harsh, not fresh.   I saw Mykelti's IG page and yep she was going a dye the night before the wedding.

One question - didn't Maddie worry that she would step on something with the sole-less sandals?   She was walking on bark at one point, and I was waiting for her to scream after stepping on something.

After Maddie put on the foot chain thingy, they showed someone putting a flip flop on her, I presume for her walk? 

And i I agree about the home due jobs.  I think Maddie looked so much better blonde. 

• Love 1