Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, lascuba said:

It makes me wonder if that place Jessa and Joy took the kids to is run by a friend or something. Why bother going for the evaluations if they're not going to bother following up?

Sometimes parents only hear what they want to hear.  I taught with someone who had a son with terrible allergies.  She took him to a very well-known allergist who said that she needed to remove the carpeting in his room since it held dust and pollen.  She got angry, and was very vocal about how she would not remove the carpet, and starting bad-mouthing the doctor.  Having carpet  was more important to her than allowing her son to breath.  I was appalled.  I think Jessa and Joy went to the therapist mainly for hits on social medial. I really wonder if they had any intention of participating in any follow-through.  I think they are somewhat like my coworker.  They heard something they did not like, or was told to do something they thought was too much trouble, and just moved on.

Edited by CalicoKitty
forgot a word.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I agree with @CalicoKitty - many parents hear what they want to hear. I think Jessa and Joy had mild concerns and wanted to hear the issues were minor, so they could go about business as usual. Unfortunately for Joy, the woman clearly stated without intervention Giddy will continue to lag behind.

My former co-worker's pediatrician suggested she have her child evaluated because he felt her son was showing traits of the Asperger's end of autism. She was outraged and flatly refused. Did I mention she is a therapist for children?

Another friend was told by her pediatrician her daughter's weight had started to outpace her height on the growth chart and it was something to keep an eye on. My friend actually told the pediatrician that she knows her daughter best and her weight gain was due to playing a sport and having muscular legs. She then tried to have her daughter's first grade teacher allow her daughter to eat a midmorning snack at school.

So its not only the Duggars that minimize professional help. Its quite a messed up world out there, all around.

• Love 22
3 hours ago, lascuba said:

It makes me wonder if that place Jessa and Joy took the kids to is run by a friend or something. Why bother going for the evaluations if they're not going to bother following up?

Many parents take their kids to experts and then don't listen to the experts. Joy's not alone in this. 

I also don't know if Joy even has it in her toolbox to help a child who is developmentally disabled. Joy strikes me as the type who has never actually read a book cover to cover.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Jill is different. Derick is a very stern figure and he values education. He's trying to get his law degree. Jill's kids are older, and she also has a small manageable family plus a dog. I don't see Joy stopping at 2 kids, or having the pressure to put her kids in school from Austin.

Derick went to public school and knows how it's done.  His mother is also available for advice and support.  He has a law degree.  He may pass the bar this week.  

I'm not sure about Austin.  I think if his sister sends her kids to school, it might sway him.  He came from a small family and may find a horde of children more than he wants to handle.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Derick went to public school and knows how it's done.  His mother is also available for advice and support.  He has a law degree.  He may pass the bar this week.  

I'm not sure about Austin.  I think if his sister sends her kids to school, it mightH sway him.  He came from a small family and may find a horde of children more than he wants to handle.  

IIRC, Austin's parents ran a pretty tight ship at home when he was growing up. He was expected to work to keep their guest ranch going, and I have an idea that they didn't float around on "Duggar Time" or sleep late in the mornings. I know that Austin's self-employed, so it's not like he's up and out the door to clock into a job every day. But I think he could handle (and help Joy handle) getting one or more kids off to school in the mornings. Like, you know, millions of people do all the time. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

I'm not sure about Austin.  I think if his sister sends her kids to school, it might sway him.  He came from a small family and may find a horde of children more than he wants to handle.  

His sister is married to a Ballinger. They're Duggar sychopants. They will all certainly homeschool. I don't hold out much hope for poor Giddy. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

His sister is married to a Ballinger. They're Duggar sychopants. They will all certainly homeschool. I don't hold out much hope for poor Giddy. 

Good point. I'd forgotten the Ballinger connection via his sister. They're deep deep into that sh*t, so homeschool seems to be a lock for all the Forsyth offspring. Too bad. 

Unfortunately I doubt public school is in the cards for the Forsyth kids, but I could see them as part of a Christian homeschooling co-op. Hopefully some women in their circles, like Austin's sisters, are somewhat better educated than Joy (a very low bar) if only because they come from smaller families. 

Edited by Lhb830
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I also don't know why small Christian private schools are off the table for the Duggars. 

Because of $$$. I’m pretty sure Gideon will have a firearm or access to one while in elementary school, hunting trips with all the necessary gear. But they draw the line at an adequate education. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I hope the Forsyth kids' main teacher isn't Bin. Because no child deserves that. I also don't know why small Christian private schools are off the table for the Duggars. 

I'm guessing because they cost money. My dad, my kids and I went to see a Red Sox player who made an appearance at a private Christian K - 12. My dad grabbed a flyer on the way out. If a kid went all 13 years it would cost much more than your average state college tuition.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, SMama said:

Because of $$$. I’m pretty sure Gideon will have a firearm or access to one while in elementary school, hunting trips with all the necessary gear. But they draw the line at an adequate education. 

Remember that picture Joy posted some time ago with the gun just sitting on a table within Gideon’s reach? I wonder if anyone sent that to child services. Because that is one of the things they’ll respond to ASAP.

11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm guessing because they cost money. My dad, my kids and I went to see a Red Sox player who made an appearance at a private Christian K - 12. My dad grabbed a flyer on the way out. If a kid went all 13 years it would cost much more than your average state college tuition.

Some do offer scholarships. If Austin and Joy make so little that they receive Medicaid, then they’ll likely qualify for a scholarship at some christian school. If they could only get one, they’d absolutely give to Gideon, because you know, boys are more important than girls 🥵.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Money is a factor but I think an even bigger one is how the non-Duggar spouse was schooled. As far as we know, Austin was exclusively homeschooled. So sending the Joystin kids to any sort of school, even a Christian private school, would be admitting his own education was lacking.

Same goes for Bin. And for all the Duggar wives, I believe (Katey went to public school but only prior to her family becoming fundie).

Even Jeremy was homeschooled until the last two years of High School. But on the other hand, he clearly doesn't think much of Jinger's intelligence, and both of them seem to enjoy time away from their kids. So they'll probably do some sort of school.

Edited by Lhb830
  • Love 11
Just now, Lhb830 said:

Money is a factor but I think an even bigger one is how the non-Duggar spouse was schooled. As far as we know, Austin was exclusively homeschooled. So sending the Joystin kids to any sort of school, even a Christian private school, would be admitting his own education was lacking. Same goes for Bin.

Even Jeremy was homeschooled until the last two years of High School. But on the other hand, he clearly doesn't think much of Jinger's intelligence, and both of them seem to enjoy time away from their kids. So they'll probably do some sort of school.

I would guess Jin and JerMe will send their kids to whatever school MacArthur recommends, I’m sure there are other people in that circle with school age kids so JerMe will follow them. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Lhb830 said:

Money is a factor but I think an even bigger one is how the non-Duggar spouse was schooled. As far as we know, Austin was exclusively homeschooled. So sending the Joystin kids to any sort of school, even a Christian private school, would be admitting his own education was lacking. Same goes for Bin.

And for all the Duggar wives, I believe (Katey went to public school but only prior to her family becoming fundie).

Could it mean also that they  don't consider their education lacking, but, don't want to, don't believe they have the "teacher" in them?  My daughter in law is a teacher and said she would Never home school her children.  I know Never is absolute, but, so far there hasn't been a need or desire.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Could it mean also that they  don't consider their education lacking, but, don't want to, don't believe they have the "teacher" in them?  My daughter in law is a teacher and said she would Never home school her children.  I know Never is absolute, but, so far there hasn't been a need or desire.

I’ve found that too many Americans don’t seem to respect teachers’ expertise and professional training and see them as glorified babysitters. Your DIL knows they’re highly educated professionals and may not want to try and teach all subjects herself. Many of us are highly educated but don’t have the teacher in us to take it all on.  Where has the public’s respect for our educators gone? 
I can’t stand Jeremy, but I think he does realize that Jinger’s (and the rest of the Duggars’) educations are severely lacking and will send his kids to schools with credentialed professionals. I see Austin as the type to mock them and discount their expertise. 

• Love 19

No only not respecting a teacher's credentials, but what about the parent kid dynamics. For me, and my kids, homeschooling them definitely would have added some twists and turns to our relationships, that IMO, would not have been positive. I don't think Austin or any Duggars give that any thought though.

Hopefully the Forsyth kids can at least do preschool outside the home.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Austin’s father is on a school board as an Alternate Fiduciary Agent. 

Sadly, having children who have been educated in the public school system has never been a prerequisite for serving on a school board in the US.  It's also not a commitment many choose to take on, so just about anyone who wants to gets voted in.  

1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

I’ve found that too many Americans don’t seem to respect teachers’ expertise and professional training and see them as glorified babysitters.

Sadly true. And the extended Duggar family are exactly the type of people who don't know what they don't know. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Austin’s father is on a school board as an Alternate Fiduciary Agent. 

And yet he is extremely bigoted and has difficulty with the English language (see some of his last SM posts). Terrifying.  

I have my doubts he can even spell “fiduciary” when the word is not right there in front of him. And let’s not forget Austin’s use of “etiquetcy.” Their kids are doomed.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Lhb830 said:

Sadly true. And the extended Duggar family are exactly the type of people who don't know what they don't know. 

Exactly. I have a masters degree, but I would never try to homeschool my (imaginary) kids because I know my limitations. Teaching advanced math, science, foreign languages, economics, etc would be beyond my abilities. Well, beyond my abilities to teach them well, and kids deserve experts in their subject matter. 

• Love 15
17 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I have my doubts he can even spell “fiduciary” when the word is not right there in front of him. And let’s not forget Austin’s use of “etiquetcy.” Their kids are doomed.

In truth, this sounds like an Italian dish to me *hangs head in shame.

What does it mean?

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Exactly. I have a masters degree, but I would never try to homeschool my (imaginary) kids because I know my limitations. Teaching advanced math, science, foreign languages, economics, etc would be beyond my abilities. Well, beyond my abilities to teach them well, and kids deserve experts in their subject matter. 

I couldn’t agree more. Ph.D. here and there’s no way in hell I’d homeschool kids if I had them. First, I don’t particularly care to be around children (and that’s the nicest way I can say that) so the 24/7 thing would not work. I couldn’t teach math or chemistry because those were my worst subjects. There’s a reason teachers go to school, student teach and get certified.  My imaginary children would be able to speak French, classify species, explain expansionary fiscal policy and write policy, but they would suck at math just like me. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, MunichNark said:

In truth, this sounds like an Italian dish to me *hangs head in shame.

What does it mean?

It means he suffers from illitercacy.

4 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I couldn’t agree more. Ph.D. here and there’s no way in hell I’d homeschool kids if I had them. First, I don’t particularly care to be around children (and that’s the nicest way I can say that) so the 24/7 thing would not work. I couldn’t teach math or chemistry because those were my worst subjects. There’s a reason teachers go to school, student teach and get certified.  My imaginary children would be able to speak French, classify species, explain expansionary fiscal policy and write policy, but they would suck at math just like me. 

IKR? Or they would be good at math, but I couldn’t teach them more than advanced algebra. Ruined potential. 

• Love 4

A fiduciary is a person bound by law to look out for and protect your interests.  It can be a financial fiduciary, or a fiduciary who is in charge of your estate when you die if you have no family to do it.   They must administer your will and estate exactly as you have specified.  They must manage your money to your best benefit.

• Useful 10
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

A fiduciary is a person bound by law to look out for and protect your interests.  It can be a financial fiduciary, or a fiduciary who is in charge of your estate when you die if you have no family to do it.   They must administer your will and estate exactly as you have specified.  They must manage your money to your best benefit.

The question was about "ettiquicacy" or whatever his made up word was 

• Useful 2
On 2/25/2022 at 2:54 PM, Cinnabon said:

I tutor students in SAT and ACT prep, math, and the sciences, I am fluent in four languages, and two of my books have been published, but when I homeschooled one of my children, it was brutal. Even with the support of a terrific homeschool group, only the knowledge that homeschooling would be done in two years kept me going. I homeschooled my child in 7th and 8th grade because said child was very advanced in two subjects, very much behind in another subject, had medical issues, and was being bullied at school. The high school would be able to adequately meet my child's needs, but the middle school was not up to the task.

I did a great job teaching my child Precalculus, Calculus, Earth Science, and Biology, but that was in my wheelhouse. Spanish went ok, as did American and World history when writing wasn't involved. But when it came to doing DBQ essays in history, interpreting themes in English literature, or doing any writing at all in English, I was completely drained by the end of the session. There is an emotional element when teaching your own child that you have to put aside, and that was extremely difficult for me. I knew that if I had to teach my child English at the high-school level, it would be unhealthy for our relationship, so I was hugely relieved when my child went to public high school. 

I taught all of my children to read and do basic math before kindergarten, but I think most parents could teach their children up to about third grade level or so. It is later, when children use the skills they have learned to tackle more sophisticated and advanced topics, that things get tricky. As Cinnabon said, children deserve teachers who know the subject well and who have been trained in education pedagogy to approach each student in the most optimal way possible. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
4 hours ago, MunichNark said:

You didn't. I did ask what it was. Still rather fancy the italian dish alternative though

Fettuccine fiduciary = looking out for your best interests: ensuring you get only the BEST fettuccine Alfredo as well as ensuring you don’t eat too much and feel sick afterward.

• LOL 23
7 hours ago, AnnaBaptist said:

But when it came to doing DBQ essays in history, interpreting themes in English literature, or doing any writing at all in English, I was completely drained by the end of the session.

Well, even still, I doubt any of the Duggar kids or Grandkids even know what an essay is.   Most of them have the education level of a third grader.  (remember one of the howlers doing time table as a teenager?)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

Well, even still, I doubt any of the Duggar kids or Grandkids even know what an essay is.   Most of them have the education level of a third grader.  (remember one of the howlers doing time table as a teenager?)

No, I don't remember that! I wonder if the howler has a learning disability. That's what makes homeschooling even more tricky: having learning disabilities diagnosed and making sure the child gets the best possible treatment. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

I think it was James regarding learning multiplication.

Yes, it was James, I think he was 15. Jill was a newlywed and brought him to her house to practice his multiplication tables.

Joy has posted a video of the their trip to California.   

It was odd at how much she was filming her own kids Jer and Jinger's girls are not shown. Also wonder how Jer coped with so many people staying that long. Mama did not make an appearance in the video for a long time and when she did looked and acted a bit odd. I have always liked Austin's sense of humor, more dry not duggary.  Gideon was having a great time. Curious how Michelle felt about being around Jeremy after what he wrote about Josh's conviction. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

Joy & Austin seem very relaxed and happy together. I think having kids so early in a marriage, especially when you're not allowed to really learn about each other beforehand, makes it hard to jell has a couple.

This is the most relaxed I've seen Jinger in forever.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I love how Joy asks viewers to guess where she's going and put it in the comments. Um, the Duggar siblings posted about the trip weeks ago. Bit late to the party, sweetie. 🙄

Well, she is not too bright.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

It didn't seem like Jinger and Jeremy accompanied the rest of the family to the beach or the Celebrity Walk of Fame. They were only really shown at their own home.

Perhaps the beloved TV stars didn't want to be seen out in public with the family.

Edited by sagittarius sue
  • LOL 14

Joy did mention that Jinger was babysitting because the little kids were napping.  I don’t think she said where Jeremy was. Odd that they wouldn’t show their out-of-town guests around.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

Joy did mention that Jinger was babysitting because the little kids were napping.  I don’t think she said where Jeremy was. Odd that they wouldn’t show their out-of-town guests around.

I’m imagining JerMe taking one look at the Duggars in that limo the boys were driving around and thinking, Beverly Hillbillies, I’m not going to be seen or photographed with them.

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
(edited)

I think it's probably a combo of not wanting to be seen with them and also those sites being old news now to the California side of the family. One of my professors at C of O used to joke with us that you could tell who was a tourist in Branson because they actually went to the shows. LOL 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think it's probably a combo of not wanting to be seen with them and also those sites being old news now to the California side of the family. One of my professors at C of O used to joke with us that you could tell who was a tourist in Branson because they actually went to the shows. LOL 

True.  I'm sure they've shown some members of the family places before, and didn't care to visit a third time, particularly if the places weren't all that important to them.  I know I could be a tour guide many times at historical places in Philadelphia and Virginia I love, but not other places.

• Love 4