Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Last Christmas

• Start Topic

MID-SEASON FINALE!

The Pearson family finds themselves at the hospital on Christmas Eve after little Kate comes down with appendicitis. When they run into Dr. K, who is alone at the hospital, they realize they need to be there for him as much as he was once there for them. Presently, Kevin celebrates Hanukkah with Olivia and her family, Kate continues to pursue her big surgery and someone from William's past reappears in his life.

Promo:

• Love 1

I wonder if the sentence about Kevin celebrating Hanukkah with Olivia is a misprint and it's actually Sloan he spends the holidays with. I think that Sloan is more likely to spend time with her family than Olivia is. It also looks like he is kissing Sloan at the table in the preview.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 14
14 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I wonder if the sentence about Kevin celebrating Hanukkah with Olivia is a misprint and it's actually Sloan he spends the holidays with. I think that Sloan is more likely to spend time with her family than Olivia is. It also looks like he is kissing Sloan at the table in the preview.

I think you're right:

NUP_176234_2227_595_Mini%20Logo%20TV%20w

So I guess I can relax about Olivia coming back and Kevin forgiving her or going back to her right away.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I hope so, but with Olivia, there's the possibility of a redemption arc.  More drama.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think you're right:

NUP_176234_2227_595_Mini%20Logo%20TV%20w

So I guess I can relax about Olivia coming back and Kevin forgiving her or going back to her right away.

I just saw some pictures of her with Kevin at Randall's home for Christmas time as well. I am glad that her and Kevin are spending more time together. I like her much better than I like Olivia.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 11
45 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I hope so.  Olivia is my new Toby. Sloan is great, she can stay but Olivia needs to not be any sort of romantic interest for Kevin. Ever.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Indy said:

I hope so.  Olivia is my new Toby. Sloan is great, she can stay but Olivia needs to not be any sort of romantic interest for Kevin. Ever.

. .  be shot in the face and never seen, heard from, or mentioned again.

Fixed!

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Jx223 said:

It certainly looks like he's with Sloane in the promo....

• Love 2

Oh good grief....why? That's just silly. I guess this is supposed to make Olivia jealous or something? And there could possibly be some silly triangle coming? I have no clue why Kevin and Olivia even like eachother and now throwing a third random person into the mix....

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

"Nothing bad ever happens on Christmas Eve."

*clutches pearls while forming a prayer circle around Jack and William.*

With that statement, I would be knocking on wood so hard.  I'm a little more worried for Dr. Gerald McRaney since he's in the hospital on oxygen. 

• Love 7
On 2016-12-02 at 1:43 PM, ShadowFacts said:

With that statement, I would be knocking on wood so hard.  I'm a little more worried for Dr. Gerald McRaney since he's in the hospital on oxygen. 

I wonder how big an impact that would be to the family.

3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Hopefully Jack doesn't die stuck in the chimney, like on Gremlins.

I was thinking this might be William's last Christmas, but it doesn't necessarily mean he dies on December 25.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4

Nothing had better happen to William or Jack!  NOTHING!! While I liked Dr. K (and Gerald McRaney in general), if somebody's death/illness must make us all sad, I'm OK with sacrificing Dr. K over any of the Pearsons.  I'd also be OK with Olivia running off with Man-Bun and never darkening the door step of any of the Big 3.

I do have an extra box of tissues ready in case things are extra weepy, as well as an excuse for why my eyes are all red & puffy Wednesday morning.

• Love 4

Most shows don't have terrible things happen in their Christmas episode, but this looks ominous, especially since two favorite characters have either already died (in the present time) or are dying.

Ominous as well, the promo saying, "This is the Christmas that could change the family." YIkes!

Edited by Beezella
Just watched the promo
  • Love 1

As a Jewish person, I certainly hope it's Sloane who celebrates Hanukkah. (Those look like latkes on the table and the little girl with her back to the camera isn't one of Randall's.) I do not want to claim Olivia as one of my fellow religionists!

• Love 10
On 12/5/2016 at 9:31 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I was thinking this might be William's last Christmas, but it doesn't necessarily mean he dies on December 25.

Right. I think, with the present story line, it will be more of an awareness that this is William's last Christmas.  I can't remember, wasn't his prognosis less than a year?

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Right. I think, with the present story line, it will be more of an awareness that this is William's last Christmas.  I can't remember, wasn't his prognosis less than a year?

I think so. If this is the case, then the title must indicate that we'll see maybe a flashforward of William on his deathbed. I don't know why they'd have Last Christmas as the title unless they're going to reference whose last Christmas it will be.

21 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:
37 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I think so. If this is the case, then the title must indicate that we'll see maybe a flashforward of William on his deathbed. I don't know why they'd have Last Christmas as the title unless they're going to reference whose last Christmas it will be.

It could have a double meaning, and they could flash back to a Christmas that we find out is Jack's last Christmas (although it seems rather early in the show to reveal that), or it could also refer to Dr. K's last Christmas, which I think is more likely.  If he was in his 70's when the kids were born, I'm going to assume that he's no longer alive, in which case he's definitely had a last Christmas!

• Love 1

I didn't see any of the twists coming!  Completely blindsided, both by William and Toby.  And when I figured out that Suicidal Boat Guy managed to slip back into the party, I thought we'd dodged the big bullet of death.

• Love 14

Ok. I have loved this show but it never made me cry. Until tonight. 

And I'm glad to know the cat was taken care of.  I think I need to focus on that because I can't take in everything all at once. 

• Love 12

Wow. OK that was surprising.

I have to admit my first thought when Toby showed up was...man the board is going to be pissed. Now I feel bad. I didn't have the problems with Toby that others did but, I was OK with Kate focusing on herself.

I really do think that Rebecca was so wrapped up in Randall she wasn't much of a mom to her other kids.

I like Kevin and Sloan they're kind of adorable. My only complaint (and its because I watched Smallville) is that I keep thinking Allison Mack would have been perfect in the role.

I was surprised to find out that William was Gay/Bi. However, I loved how Annie explained it to her dad. Randall/Sterling's reaction was perfect. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 15

I missed the first 15 but "Grandpa is gay or maybe bi" and Randall's face was perfect.

Unfortunately, the news got posted about a casting earlier today (I'll post in the media thread) that sort of gave away that something bad happens to Kate so Toby was a "wow...that happened but ok."  Since he really didn't do much for me, if it's the end, I won't miss him. 

• Love 2

Oh man, so much packed into this episode.

William has a boyfriend and it is Dennis O'Hare!

The Kevin at dinner with Sloane's family was charming as hell.  I loved that whole scene.  her family was a riot and they sounded so natural.

Toby -- holy cow.  Didn't expect that.

Randall stopping a suicide.

And just the whole Christmas eve at Randall's house looked lovely -- until Toby took a header.

The hour went so fast!

• Love 21

Shit, I didn't like Toby but he doesn't deserve to get killed off on Christmas Eve!

It sweet that the family reunited with that doc when he needed it the most. Glad he didn't die then, at least.

It's gonna be a looooong wait for January.

• Love 12

Well, damn!  I think Jesse's reveal was even more shocking than Toby.  I was going crazy during that AA meeting.  Denis is cool, he can stay.  And nice job on the accent!

Hoping Toby doesn't die.  But his relationship with Kate will be drastically changed no matter what the outcome.

Also, I'm pretty sure NBC messed up the description for this episode, because it said that Kevin was going to Olivia's for dinner, not Sloane's.  So imagine my shock when Olivia failed to appear.  But I'm a-ok with that.  Sloane is a lot more interesting and as half-baked as she and Kevin are as a budding couple, I prefer her to Olivia.

Hey, Liam McPoyle.  Seriously, it's nice to see Jimmi Simpson get steady work.  Glad that he didn't jump.  Randall was right about everything he said.

Honestly, I thought Miguel was going to die.  The way he was sitting on the couch, I thought the reveal was that he'd died in his sleep.  I knew something was going to happen, things were just too happy!

Dr. Folksy Charm lives!  They dropped that plot pretty quick, huh?  I also noticed that they didn't bring up Jack at all during the end celebration.

• Love 7

I was a little distracted, after (almost) catching up on Westworld, so see William (in that show) as the suicidal boss. Decent misdirect. I did like that they avoided the cliche of the coffee table collapsing under Toby.

• Love 10

Man, I wanted Toby gone but not dead (which I think he is.)

Did not see gay William coming; I guess Randall's girls have better gaydar than I have.  I knew he must have found a home for the cat but good to have that confirmed. Now there will be angst about whether William will spend his last weeks/months with Randall or with Jesse.

• Love 8