Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E09: Project Pop Up

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

The second Team Challenge of the season leads to tensions and tantrums as the designers are forced to work together to create three-piece collections for a SoHo pop-up shop; Kelly Osbourne returns as a guest judge.

Those were some beautiful looks.  I would have given Laurence the win for her gorgeous tuxedo jacket and perfectly tailored pants.  I also loved Rik's look more than Robero's, but what do I know.  My second favorite look was Erin's on the red team followed by Dexter's, which I thought did look very punk.  Hooray for Tim for saving Cornelius who was unjustly aufed. Props to Erin for giving him a hug, while Dexter did not.  Hope he will come around. This development shows why Project Runway is my favorite reality tv show.  While minorities are systematically voted out on Survivor,  as happened tonight, here they are celebrated for their talent.

• Love 12

The neutral team were lucky the public liked their looks. I didn't and I'm a neutral fan. The top with the popcorn details squicked me out because the popcorn looked like teeth. If anyone saw last nights episode of American Horror Story you'd know what I'm talking about. 

My favorite color is blue. I'm glad the blue team won. Their looks were more punk look than the red team. They were smart to put in the plaid, white and other colors.  I'm glad Roberi won but I would have been happy if Rik had won too, I liked both of their looks.

oh the red team. Too much red. Too much drama. Not punk at all. I don't like Cornelius but it was edited to look like he was doing all the work while Erin and Dexter were goofing around. And he was left out because the other two are friends. I didn't think he'd get auf'ed because the judges were hinting that he was bullied. I think that's why he got the Tim Gunn save. 

I can't stand Kelly Osbourne but she is at least a legitimate judge, unlike some of the other judges they've had on here so far. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 20

The blue team had three of the best looks I have ever seen on Project Runway.  Rik's was my favorite.  The dress was adorable and the coat was fantastic.  It's amazing to me that he could do all that in such a short time.  I'm okay with Roberi winning because I loved his sweater.  I didn't like the skirt as much as the judges, but it was super cute and well made.  Although when Heidi was talking about the red pleated skirt, she said nobody wanted to wear a skirt that was longer in the front. She was okay with Roberi's asymmetrical skirt.  Of course it was a lot cuter than that red monstrosity.

I was glad to see Erin and Dexter taken down a couple of pegs again, although their self esteem doesn't seem to have lessened at all.  I liked the design of Erin's coat but I did not like the fabric. Everything else was meh.  I actually thought the beige team was the worst.  The outfit with the torn leggings and the short jacket looked like something the away team would wear on Star Trek.  Mah jing's dress was hideous and I really don't think women in Soho will be clamoring to wear it.  Speaking of Soho, I was pretty sure that most of the voters were tourists.

How is Kelly Osborne a thing?  Just because she is now a dead ringer for Boy George does not make her an expert on "punk."  Or anything.

• Love 20

I loved the blue teams outfits.  Every single thing about them.   Roberi was wise to listen to his team mates about sexing up the skirt. Everything was so beautiful and also looked comfortable.  

If I had been assigned red/violet?  I would have used a beautiful complimentary purple as the accent.  Red and purple are a gorgeous combination and so seldom used together.   The jacket was beautiful.  Cornel is was used.  Thrown under the bus, thrown into reverse and right back over him again.

Team Neutral.  Can't remember it.  Don't understand how they won the pop up challenge.

Loved the pop up challenge!

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, tpplay said:

Erin and Dexter.  Just UGGGHHH!  

And so tired of hearing the judges say "You should have spoken up."  Cornelius (who has never been my favorite) is not one of those judges - who could make other people sit up and listen instantly.  They weren't listening.  They weren't interested in listening.  So - they both move forward.  Disgusting.

I agree - he did speak up, but his voice wasn't heard or if it was, it was ignored (or else, his team members couldn't hear him over their crunching on Cheetos and Doritos).

So glad Tim used his save on Cornelius - and he is just not one of my favorites, either - but he totally didn't deserve to get thrown under the bus the way he did.

Erin and Dexter were not happy about the save - now, they have to continue on in the competition with their "mean girl" victim around, garnering sympathy from the other designers.

• Love 22

Dear show, please don't make me hate Dexter. Sigh.

Team Blue was the obvious choice for the win--their collection was gorgeous, every bit of it. Those were some of the best clothes I've seen on Project Runway for a while. But I loved a lot of the clothes tonight and half expected them to not send anyone home, because no one truly deserved to go.

But no, they had to pull out the "who should go home?" nonsense again. I especially hated it this time because Erin and Dexter were gross Mean Girls, but Cornelius wasn't necessarily the wrong choice to send home--he's not as talented as almost any of the remaining designers. To be honest, I'm sorry Tim used up his save on Cornelius. I felt awful about the way Erin and Dexter treated him, but a more talented designer may be eliminated with no hope of a comebacck just because Tim wanted to make Cornelius feel better.

• Love 14

That's 3 undeserved saves for Erin the bedazzler and hoochie mama designer Dexter.  She's a one way monkey, and he has the worst taste.  In a perfect world, that red crap fest should have resulted in Dexter getting booted too, then Tim could have saved only Cornelius (which would have been awe).  

And Cornelius is a better person than I would be in that situation. I'd have walked away from Erin and her fake hug. Can we hope the judges are finally over her?

• Love 17

dbell 1  I am with you.  Only I wish they had aufed Dexter to bring his ego down a bit and then Tim could have saved him.   It will look bad for Tim if Cornelius gets cut in the next couple of weeks even though he probably should.

• Love 2

Cornelius needs to take some of blame instead of relying on the sympathy vote.  There was nothing stopping him from buying another color at Mood.  If he had done that, the judges could not have eliminated him. 

As soon as Tim called Erin and Dexter Mean Girls in front of the judges, some of my old animosity towards Tim came flooding back.  He has no business doing that; he is not supposed to show bias as a mentor.  At least I knew then that Cornelius would be eliminated and Tim would save him.  Another Tim Gunn Save used for all the wrong reasons. 

I doubt either Cornelius or Dexter will make the final three, nor do I think either should.  Rik, Laurence, Roberi and Erin are all more interesting designers IMO.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 19

Ugh.... I know this is reality TV, but seriously, could do without all of the drama. I want to see designers designing and making cool clothes, period.

I definitely agree that blue was the winning team. Though if the pop up was 20% of the challenge and team boring was still just safe, does that mean they would have been the worst team if not for the vote? Their stuff was BORING.

Red team had some interesting pieces, but I disagree with Heidi and think the pockets on Erin's coat ruined it... they looked like that foam kid toys are made out of that stick to the bathtub... and it looked stupid. I liked the plaid skirt under it, so was that made by Cornelius and then switched? I wasn't paying that much attention. The pleated thing was a mess and I think Dexter's look was terrible. But I don't get why the judges booted Cornelius, the awful skirt wasn't all him and he made the good skirt and tried to tell the rest of the team to add in another color.

Unless they figured this group was so crummy the Tim Gunn save was pointless, so this gave them a way to eliminate no one (since i'm sure they count on the numbers for the episodes) and waste the Tim Gunn save.  Personally, I'm kind of glad it was used because I hate it and would rather get it out of the way. At least with this they come back right away, but in general I hate the 'bring back an eliminated contestant' gimmick. If you are eliminated, tough cookies, you are eliminated, that's how this works. But I can't wait to see the last of Erin... Dexter also did not win any points this week.

• Love 8

Haven't been able to watch the episode yet, but I think one of the rules of the "Tim Gunn Save, TM" is that the recipient must go to the finale whether they deserve it or not.

So yay Cornelius, I guess. A whole collection of oversized houndstooth in contrasting colours! I can hardly wait.

• Love 8

Cornelius is this year's Ashley.  Whiny and immature and always crying "they're picking on me!"  Not coincidentally, the same "who would you send home" scenario happened on the team challenge last season, when Ashley pouted because she was picked last, and Kelly Osborne (again guest judging) called the others "bitches" who ganged up on the fat girl for selecting her to be eliminated even though she sat in a corner and cried and her input was minimal. This year, I did hear Cornelius kind of timidly say he thought there was too much red, but Erin and Dexter disagreed, and he didn't fight it.  I never heard him say anything else, or ask for any help, or offer any ideas that were ignored or overruled.  In fact, the three seemed to get along and collaborate well.  Only behind their back did he bitch about them.  When he had the chance to defend himself, he said nothing.  Maybe because he had no defense.  If he had a strong point of view, he could have expressed it - but he didn't.  That's not Dexter and Erin's fault.  And then more bitchy whining came in the stew room ("they threw me under the bus"), but again, it was about being ganged up on instead of anything substantive. In other words, it was personality-driven (or about friends/cliques) instead of work-related.  Just like Ashley.

• Love 13

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after 15 seasons of Project Runway I would have happily worn any of the 9 ensembles shown tonight.  Red slightly less so, based on color only, but otherwise everything looked pretty cool.  Team Red seemed to have completely forgotten the "Violet" part of the trend, which might have helped with the red redness of the collection.

Cornelius is one lucky moron.  I wouldn't have saved him (based on past outfits) but it was worth it to see how pissed Dexter looked, probably because now the 'save' cannot be used for him in an upcoming elimination. 

Of the three blue outfits, I think Laurence's was the weakest.  But even at her weakest, she's pretty great.  I wonder if she's waiting for a JustFab Just Jackets challenge?  

• Love 9

I hated the one blue team look. God, it looked like something I would make trying to sew, the horrid skirt made of all the different types of materials and different lengths and the top with the patches slapped on...and the judges loved it. It won. I don't get it. I just thought it was so ugly. I cant see anyone ever wearing that in public.

• Love 19

I was impressed with Mah-Jing physically putting himself in between the warring factions. I covet Rik's coat, and thought his look was the strongest, though I did like Roberi's skirt. Of the neutrals, I liked Natalia's best. The other two were unimpressive to me. I disliked the drama so much, but was unsurprised with the TG-save. I've learned that he rarely saves people I'm interested in seeing more from, but gets his heart-strings (or sometimes his drama-strings) tugged. It's okay. 

• Love 6

Kelly Osbourne and her shaved head with purple swirly hair piece creeps me out. I can't believe she still has any kind of say in the fashion world.

It was nice to see the three blue team designers win. They were quiet, good natured, and worked well together. I love their attitudes.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 16

I knew Tim was going to save Cornelius, the pleated skirt was the reason his look sucked, if he had kept the skirt he made to go with the jacket, I think Dexter would have been eliminated & I think that was why Tim saved him. 

I actually liked both Rik & Laurence's looks better than Roberi's, but, whatever.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, roctavia said:

Red team had some interesting pieces, but I disagree with Heidi and think the pockets on Erin's coat ruined it... they looked like that foam kid toys are made out of that stick to the bathtub... and it looked stupid. I liked the plaid skirt under it, so was that made by Cornelius and then switched? I wasn't paying that much attention. The pleated thing was a mess and I think Dexter's look was terrible. But I don't get why the judges booted Cornelius, the awful skirt wasn't all him and he made the good skirt and tried to tell the rest of the team to add in another color.

So much this ^ and, yes, the plaid skirt under Erin's coat was made by Cornelius.

While I haven't been wowed by Cornelius' designs throughout this season, I feel he should not have been aufed, which is the only reason I support the save. Without Cornelius' skirt, Erin wouldn't have had a finished look, and I agree with the post that said the pockets ruined it. Also, her looks each week are all the same. I'm surprised the judges haven't called her on that. I've been liking Dexter, but his outfit was nothing special, and he was the one who fashioned the hair, makeup, and accessories that the judges didn't like. Cornelius made his look, assisted Dexter, and made the skirt for Erin's outfit. Either Erin or Dexter should have lost.

Lastly, I wish PR would call a moratorium on using the "thrown under the bus" phrase. Ugh.

• Love 13

I laughed out loud when Mah-Jing was getting between Dexter and Cornelius.  They weren't going to throw down.  His body blocking Cornelius was hysterical. I loved the way he carried a pillow with him.  He really was thinking of their safety.

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 14

I actually agreed with not only the judges' order of the teams but also most of their comments. I thought Team Neutral was very good but my tastes lean strongly toward Team Blue.  I loved how it was very new but a little referencial as well.  I thought that collection was good enough for the early years of the show and not just good for the "stupid Lifetime network years".  I saw a little Jay McCarroll, a little Seth Aaron...

I also agree with Tim saving Cornelius.  I'm not really dying to see more from him and nor am I enamoured of his personality, I just feel that he was put in an impossible position.  If he'd done less, Erin and Dex might just have not finished and they would have thrown him under the bus.  His only option was to do as much as possible to try to save the team.  I think it was only fair to give him another chance because Erin and Dex were awful teammates.

Speaking of Erin, is anyone else not seeing her as a "front runner" anymore?  That woman cannot see the forest (total look) through the trees (a single jacket/ appliqué/ embroidery detail).  Also, she's talented but she is as good as she's ever going to get unless she pulls her head out of her ass long enough to actually grow as a designer.

Edited by AudreyHorne
  • Love 22

Re: neutral team's colors - I actually told co-workers that if I ever showed up at work wearing any of those, they should contact my family immediately to intervene.  I envy people who can wear them, but they look terrible on me, and I feel sad, so sad, when I wear them, which is only if I have to for some usually work-related reason.  Love both red and blue, so both those teams' efforts looked a lot better to me.  

Very disappointed in Erin and Dexter.  Erin particular seems very full of herself after her early wins and does not seem to be picking up on what I see as the judges' lack of enthusiasm of late.  Totally agree with AudreyHorne above, and no, I don't see her as front runner anymore.  

I think Laurence is the one to beat.  

• Love 7

I'm frankly surprised there's so much love for the blue team.  There's not one of their outfits I'd wear out of the house.  I loved the neutral teams clothes and would wear all three of those outfits.  I didn't care for the red team's either.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 6

Really someone needs to tell Kelly O. the meaning of the word "bullied" .  Dexter was asked the question of who should go home exactly to cause controversy.  He answered, Cornelius objected etc. etc. etc..  Cornelius is no shrinking violet and he spoke up for himself just fine.  I could tell Dexter didn't want to answer that question; his face froze.   TPTB saw the friction between them - Cornelius feeling like he was doing all the work and the other 2 laughing it up in the break room.  They got the reaction they wanted.  So IMO, Tim saying mean girls and Kelly using bullied was totally out of line.

Edited by lasandi
  • Love 16
24 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

Very disappointed in Erin and Dexter.  Erin particular seems very full of herself after her early wins and does not seem to be picking up on what I see as the judges' lack of enthusiasm of late.  Totally agree with AudreyHorne above, and no, I don't see her as front runner anymore.  

I've only seen the last three episodes, and based on what I've seen, Cornelius is the best designer of the three. I'm shocked that Erin has any wins under her belt and STILL can't believe she wasn't sent packing after that hand-embroidered shorts and last-minute tacked together shirt shitshow from last week.

• Love 5

It was total bullshit to call out the red/violet team for too much red in their styling when you just KNOW that the Sally Beauty folks were going to spray paint the models' hair red no matter what the designers wanted. Showcasing the hair color products was the point of this ep. And now, despite my better judgement and past experience, I want a blue stripe in my hair. 

Reading through the comments I see little love for Kelly Osbourne, but I always find her comments as a PR judge insightful, even more so when compared to the insipid contributions by the average guest judge. Plus she looked smashing.

• Love 18

I realize there never has been any consistency in PR's judging, but it just seemed this episode screamed they were setting up Tim Gunn's SAVE in capital letters.

I disagree with keeping Erin because of her admired coat...the problem was she was part of a losing team and Erin basically didn't show any team effort, other than taking another designer's skirt to complement her own look and let the other designer fend for themselves.  That is reason enough to get auff'd.

Dexter's look was a hot mess.

Corneleius' didn't look that much better but as the voice of reason regarding breaking up all that red, and Tim and the judges all agreeing the other two bullied him, the contrived setup was obvious than usual.

• Love 4

Nathalia's voice is driving me crazy!

I'm a little divided about Tim using the save on Cornelius -- I don't think he will go far but the way he was treated by the mean girls was frustrating. I would have been okay if both Dexter and Cornelius were auf'd. Thanks Erin & Dexter, for making me feel sorry for the one person I hated the most on the show.

Erin's time is numbered.

• Love 15

I think Tim Gunn was WAY out of line when he told the judges that Cornelius was ganged up on by "two mean girls." The only way he could know that is if he watched all the footage before the judging.  Although I don't agree with the way Dexter and Erin fell all over each other, and pretty much ignored any suggestion by Cornelius, I do think the footage was edited to reflect it far more than it actually was. This reminds me of Swapnil (Season 14) who "smoked too much." Once Tim Gunn got a burr under his saddle blanket about him, the fix was in. I think they purposely made it look like he was slacking.  

When they went shopping at Mood, there was a red fabric that Cornelius wanted, but Erin told him that was HERS, so he picked another fabric. She didn't even use the one she wouldn't let Cornelius have. I have wanted Cornelius gone since the first episode when he flitted all over the place dissing almost everyone else, but I am glad he gets to stay, even though I believe Tim "saved" him for all the wrong reasons. Ah, well.....

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 4

Kelly is an excellent judge. Love her (I do) or hate her she gives good and knowledgeable critiques.

I would wear Laurence's pants with all 3 blue jackets.  

The red team are miserable people! 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, caracas1914 said:

I realize there never has been any consistency in PR's judging, but it just seemed this episode screamed they were setting up Tim Gunn's SAVE in capital letters.

I disagree with keeping Erin because of her admired coat...the problem was she was part of a losing team and Erin basically didn't show any team effort, other than taking another designer's skirt to complement her own look and let the other designer fend for themselves.  That is reason enough to get auff'd.

Dexter's look was a hot mess.

Corneleius' didn't look that much better but as the voice of reason regarding breaking up all that red, and Tim and the judges all agreeing the other two bullied him, the contrived setup was obvious than usual.

Everything you said about Erin is true, plus she has been on the bottom three weeks in a row -- yet they send home the guy they agree was cheated?   The scripting was so transparent.

I don't like Cornelius (or Erin or Dexter, for that matter) and I am not sure he was truly mistreated.   He and that other big crybaby Mah-Jing (I *really* dislike him) seem to like wallowing in self-pity.   They could have taken a stand and refused to be sidelined, but that would have stripped them of their martyr diva status.  

The Sally Beauty segments make me laugh sometimes.   Designer: I want her hair to be rock and roll meets military.   Stylist: How about a spray?    I guarantee the designer could have requested: "Bozo the Clown meets Egyptian pharaoh" and the stylist would have said "How about a spray?"

I can't begin to describe my loathing for Kelly Osborne and her stupid hair.  Cotton candy meets gummy worms meets oil slick.  

How about a spray?

• Love 13

$500 to be spent at Sally Beauty Supply.  Really?  oh wow. 

Cornelius was the obvious choice given his pleated skirt.  I am pretty sure the judges knew Tim was going to save who they booted beforehand.  

My definition of punk is off the mark, I guess.  I didn't see anything that read punk other that plaid.  Google punk style clothing and look at images.   

Unless someone clutches I see the blue team as F3.  Erin could be in there in place of someone I suppose,  but she is not doing well lately.  

• Love 1

Go Blue!  That collection looked finished, stylish, chic, etc.  Flawless.  Red had a few pieces that were good to OK.  They would have benefited from adding black (pleated skirt) or some purple/fuchsia accents.  The red socks, red bags, red hair accessories brought the entire collection down to a juvenile level. 

I think my original love for Erin is circling the drain.  As soon as she said she was making (another) oversized jacket/coat, I immediately said "One way monkey" out loud. Dexter was one of my favorites early on for his personality over his abilities, but the good will towards him is waning as well.  I'm no fan of Cornelius - his attitude and constant bitchmode were exhausting.  And I don't think he is as good as he thinks he is.  However, Erin and Dexter were jerks to him, and that wasn't cool. 

Mixed feelings over Tim using the "Save" on Cornelius.  I like the fact that it will screw with Dexter & Erin.  It also means the Save is gone and can't be used to keep either one of them down the road, but it was kind of wasted on Cornelius. 

Jenni & Nathalia are the worst people to have to hear speak.  Both of their speech patterns/mannerisms/affects are like nails on a chalkboard.  Jenni's vocal fry & Nathalia's nasal Rosie Perez whine makes me want to poke ice picks in my ears.  I didn't understand the popular vote for their blah, baby poop collection either.  That tan dress reminded me of this vintage Girl Scout uniform.  But the GS dress has a little more panache.

images.jpg

• Love 9

I'm not a fan of Cornelius, mainly because of his talking head comments in the season thus far. That said, if Tim hadn't used his save for him, I'd have reached through the TV and throttled Tim. It was Tim's idea to move Cornelius' skirt over to Erin's outfit. Erin at least should have helped Cornelius make another skirt or pants for his jacket. Really, it should have been all three of them pitching in. Of the three of them, it should have been Dexter going home. Add a bit of irridescent trim to him outfit and it would have been a perfect costume for a sci-fi porn movie. Terrible. The neutral team was lucky that the people on the street voted for them. OMG, that orangey brown color looked like the inside of a diaper of a baby that's been living on carrots. Horrible. I'm glad that group got their act together for Mah-Jing's sake, but his two partners (Nathalia and Jenni) are honestly ripe for elimination. Neither of them are particularly talented or interesting as designers but they can bring the "mean girl" crap by the truck load. The collection overall was just sad. The blue team was clearly the best this week. I'd have been perfectly happy with either Roberi or Lawrence winning this week. I would love to own Rik's jacket but the dress wasn't much.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Unless someone clutches I see the blue team as F3.  Erin could be in there in place of someone I suppose,  but she is not doing well lately.  

Erin will be in there. The judges will say they "want to see more from her".

Someone upthread alluded to this, but Cornelius will be around for a while now, because eliminating him next week would be like a slap in the face to Tim.

• Love 1

I hate both Dexter and Erin.  Neither one has taste or talent.  I don't understand why everyone heaps so much praise on her tent-like, Bid Bird yellow coats.  Nathalia and Jenni aren't far behind on my hate meter.

While Cornelius was a brat earlier, I feel like he is insecure and that was a front to hide his insecurities.  Once the others picked up on it, they (Dexter and Erin) used it against him.  He seemed so grateful when Tim saved him.  

I personally didn't care for any of the outfits as a whole but did like Laurence's pants.  I am doubtful as to the judges' ability to rate fashion seeing as how Nina has been dressing lately.  Anna Wintour wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near Nina's outfits, much less in them.

• Love 3