Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E09: Project Pop Up

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I think my original love for Erin is circling the drain.  As soon as she said she was making (another) oversized jacket/coat, I immediately said "One way monkey" out loud.

Thank you. As soon as she said she wanted to make an oversized coat/jacket 'Again???' went through my mind. Yup, a one trip horse, IMO, who has an inflated opinion of her abilities. Maybe she figures that since the judges all creamed over that yellow thing she made  early in the season she should stay with a winning idea or some such. And yes, her ego is a problem for her--and anyone who happens to be working with her. This was a team challenge and, on that level (and her coat with the really stupid pockets as embellishments) she failed. Fashion, especially if you're not a major, starving or self-supporting designer--is often a collaboration and that's just reality. I wouldn't want to work with this bitch; I suspect she'd make anyone with her feel like an orphan  child or idiot.

• Love 5

Interesting.  In the beginning I liked Erin and Dexter and thought Cornelius was annoying.  Now I have a 180 on both of them.  My fave just to watch is Mah Jing and Laurence.   But I love Erin and Derek now realizing they now CAN'T be saved for a crappy look and I hope they have back to back crappy looks.   

• Love 7

Cornelius started the season trying to be a disruptive influence with his dissing about others to any one who would listen to him.  Lady Shade indeed.  So I don't feel too sorry for him now.  Erin and Dexter really didn't learn from the past experience of them thinking they had it made, only to end up in the bottom.  None of them did themselves any favor by how they acted.

• Love 7

I'm becoming immune to the words bullying, shaming and mean girls. Whenever someone is the odd man out it does not mean he was bullied. Cornelius went int the the team challenge all dressed up and ready to play the role of victim #1. The bottom line is every single team challenge, every single season the judges ask the losing team "who should go home?" They liked Erin's coat so it was obvious she was not an option. So was Dexter supposed to pick Dexter? I don't blame Erin for not picking Dexter either as he is a better designer with a stronger point of view than Cornelius. Cornelius claimed he did "all the work" then take "all the responsibility." He could have made the point that he said it was too much red. It's just way to much talent in that room to waste a save on Cornelius. 

• Love 22
  1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

I think my original love for Erin is circling the drain.  As soon as she said she was making (another) oversized jacket/coat, I immediately said "One way monkey" out loud.

Thank you. As soon as she said she wanted to make an oversized coat/jacket 'Again???' went through my mind. Yup, a one trip horse, IMO, who has an inflated opinion of her abilities. Maybe she figures that since the judges all creamed over that yellow thing she made  early in the season she should stay with a winning idea or some such. And yes, her ego is a problem for her--and anyone who happens to be working with her. This was a team challenge and, on that level (and her coat with the really stupid pockets as embellishments) she failed. Fashion, especially if you're not a major, starving or self-supporting designer--is often a collaboration and that's just reality. I wouldn't want to work with this bitch; I suspect she'd make anyone with her feel like an orphan  child or idiot.

Speaking of oversized coat/jackets, Nathalia is getting in that same rut. Last week on the urban challenge, she produced that oversized raglan sleeved jacket. This week she was whipping out variations on that same theme.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cdp73 said:

I hate both Dexter and Erin.  Neither one has taste or talent.  I don't understand why everyone heaps so much praise on her tent-like, Bid Bird yellow coats.  Nathalia and Jenni aren't far behind on my hate meter.

While Cornelius was a brat earlier, I feel like he is insecure and that was a front to hide his insecurities.  Once the others picked up on it, they (Dexter and Erin) used it against him.  He seemed so grateful when Tim saved him.  

I personally didn't care for any of the outfits as a whole but did like Laurence's pants.  I am doubtful as to the judges' ability to rate fashion seeing as how Nina has been dressing lately.  Anna Wintour wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near Nina's outfits, much less in them.

Anna Wintour wears little girl like floral dresses-no one else could get away with that. Nina is in a bad position; she works for a fashion magazine that features youthful trendy clothes. If she dresses 'her age' she is not following the trends of the magazine, if she does she is dressing too young.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I find it comical that Cornelius who has been cliquey with Nathalia and bitchy to just about everyone else was immediately whining about how terrible it was going to be for him to be on a team with Dexter and Erin because they're friends. You know that if he had been on a team with Nathalia and one other person, the two of them would have completely bulldozed the third person's ideas. I also found it hilarious that Nathalia was talking about how she felt so bad for Cornelius being ignored by his teammates when she was also giving gleeful talking heads about how she and Jenni were alternating between steamrolling Mah-Jing, ignoring his suggestions, and making decisions without him.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that Erin and Dexter made it easy for Cornelius to be on their team, but Cornelius hasn't exactly been an innocent victim this whole time either so it's hard for me to feel too sorry for him. If the elimination was supposed to be based on what each person designed, it was a toss up for me. Even if the judges loved Erin's coat, she didn't make the skirt so she wouldn't have had a whole outfit on her own. Dexter's vest and skirt wasn't punk. It looked more like something that a sexy female alien on Star Trek would wear. The outfit that Cornelius originally made was too matchy.

Why did everyone keep referring to having a pop up store? No one could buy the pieces that were on display so it wasn't a store. It was just a window display. I feel like the show just wanted to use the phrase "pop up store" to sound like they still know what's going on but then they didn't know how to use it correctly. It was like hearing your grandpa try to use slang and failing miserably.

During the critique when Tim asked Erin "are you just showing the coat or something under it" Erin responded "Oh yeah; it will be a simple long turtleneck underneath" That is when the whole "switch it up" was mentioned with Cornelius TAKING CREDIT and making the switch. Erin then sketched a skirt FOR HIM which he volunteered to sew. Even if Erin and Dexter were "goofing off" I didn't hear them say anything to mean to Cornelius. It was only after they realized they were the bottom when all hell broke loose. And I agree had the general public not voted for Team Vanilla Mah-Jing would have been in the same spot but with more of a case for the "bullying" label.

If Laurence gets to work with leather every week, and Jenni gets to bedazzle something, Mah-Jing gets to make a completely boring sheath dress and Dexter gets to whatever that hell that is he does then Erin should get to make an over-sized coat. I honestly wish to wake up next Thursday, find Bobby Ewing in the shower, realize it's all a dream and fast forward straight to Fashion Week where I can see everyone on Team Blue fighting for the title of Your Odds of Being The Next Big Designer Are Very Slim But Good Luck.

• Love 11

I used to watch Fashion Police, and I was always impressed by what Kelly Osbourne had to say about fashion.  But her hair!  Until last night, I thought she couldn't make it look any worse.  I was so wrong.

Earlier in the season, I thought that Erin was the clear winner and no one else had a chance.  That changed when she made those awful shorts with the embroidery that looked like hay or dead grass growing out of them.  Now I hope Laurence or someone else (Rik or Roberi?) is the winner.

• Love 9

I achieve Roberi's look rather cheaply by tying a flannel shirt around my waist half the time, but what do I know? Sad to see Tim use his save on Cornelius to make a point about behavior rather than for an actual "miss" by the judges in terms of talent displayed. I actually thought the beige team did really well within the constraint of not having color, and the obvious personality issues. That's always going to happen in teams of three or in friendships of three or a  ménage à trois: someone's going to feel left out. Get over it and work harder.

Edited by NorthstarATL
  • Love 6

I didn't like that the red team's colors felt like they clashed. The reds weren't cohesive to my eye the way the blue team was. 

34 minutes ago, Boofish said:

If Laurence gets to work with leather every week, and Jenni gets to bedazzle something,

Laurence doesn't work with leather every week. She's done two leather coats and leather accents on the shoulders of a cloth dress. Otherwise she hasn't been all leather all the time. I admit, though, she's my favorite and I really want her to win. 

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I didn't like that the red team's colors felt like they clashed. The reds weren't cohesive to my eye the way the blue team was. 

Laurence doesn't work with leather every week. She's done two leather coats and leather accents on the shoulders of a cloth dress. Otherwise she hasn't been all leather all the time. I admit, though, she's my favorite and I really want her to win. 

I love her as well and hoping she takes it all but she does a variation of the same designs every week IMO. Not that they aren't all good but my point is they all have a certain aesthetic that seems to work it's way into each design. For some of them it works (Laurence) for others not so much (Erin).

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I thought Cornelius' skirt and top clashed. They were slightly different reds, I thought. Different enough to be noticeable but not different enough to look as if he did it on purpose. It just looked like a mistake. It looked like when I accidentally match a blue black top with a red black skirt or pants. You have to put something in between to make it look OK.

6 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:

I think Tim Gunn was WAY out of line when he told the judges that Cornelius was ganged up on by "two mean girls." The only way he could know that is if he watched all the footage before the judging

Yeah, I thought that seemed really odd and was very, "How would he know that" since you didn't get a sense of that dynamic at all when Tim did his walkthrough so he had to have known from seeing footage or something which seems jank.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, MarshallB6 said:

Lastly, I wish PR would call a moratorium on using the "thrown under the bus" phrase. Ugh.

In my head, the bus is idling just offscreen, and it has the Top Chef logo emblazoned on its side.  TC was the first place I heard that phrase overused, so now all of those buses that are waiting in the wings to auf reality show contestants...are Top Chef buses.  Similarly, every time there's a party (which is of course a challenge *disguised* as a party), I hear Jeffrey Sebelia in my head:  "It's never a f*&%ing party."

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Why did everyone keep referring to having a pop up store? No one could buy the pieces that were on display so it wasn't a store. It was just a window display. I feel like the show just wanted to use the phrase "pop up store" to sound like they still know what's going on but then they didn't know how to use it correctly. It was like hearing your grandpa try to use slang and failing miserably.

Seriously!  I kept mumbling, "You keep using those words...I do not think they mean...what you think they mean..."

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 14
13 hours ago, mauras said:

But no, they had to pull out the "who should go home?" nonsense again.

I hate it when the judges ask the team members "who on your team should go home?"  It is unfair.  The designers are designers and the judges are the judges.   The judges need to determine who should go home by looking at the quality and sometimes quantity of the work and the post runway "chats".  It is crappy to ask the designers who should go home and the only reason the judges (the producers make them, I'm sure) do this is for drama.  This show is interesting enough and it doesn't need the extra drama.  Whenever the judges ask this question, I turn the channel because it makes me uncomfortable. 

• Love 11

The question must be asked:  Doesn't Mood carry that oversized hound's tooth check fabric in red?

Red team's big problem was fabric choice.  You don't pick two nearly identical plaid fabrics.  And that was on Cornelius as much as Erin.  If he *really* thought that different fabrics were needed, then he should have dropped his insistence on the plaid and gotten something else.  But he only thought that later.

I hate the "tell me who should go home" that they do, but they do always do it.  

Laurence and Nathalia and Dexter and Mah Jing are as much one way monkeys as Erin.

• Love 10

As a teacher myself, I think Tim responds like a teacher and I also think he has a big heart. Cornelius is always pleasant to Tim and tells Tim he appreciates his advice. Tim values that point of view more than someone who says they don't care what Tim thinks. Of course Tim is not always right, but fashion is so subjective it would be suspicious if he and the judges were always the same. I enjoyed this challenge because most of the outfits worked together and looked nice in the window, even though I agree the red collection needed other colors and accessories. 

I dont like it when the judges ask who should go home. But I do think they are trying to determine who worked and who didnt and who stands up for their clothing. I hope Erin goes out soon. Her endless parade of coats with bling or appliqué wears on my nerves.

Edited by Madding crowd
Missing words
  • Love 9

I appreciate Laurence's talent, but I do feel we are seeing a limited repertoire from her. Maybe she's trying to use the show to market her leather jackets for her post-show career.

Too bad Tim used the save on Cornelius. Probably would make for a better competition if Tim had waited.

Did I hear Dexter call Mah-Jing fat? When Mah-Jing plopped down between the two guys, Dexter angrily bellowed something like "don't sit your fat ass next to me." Charming.

I wasn't in love with any of the looks, but thought they were all pretty polished, which is a PR rarity. So it was refreshing to see.

I achieve Roberi's look rather cheaply by tying a flannel shirt around my waist half the time, but what do I know?

When Roberi designed the plaid/leather skirt, I thought it was a play on the ubiquitous plaid shirt tied around the wait and hanging down the back. Clever.

When will the entertainment world stop foisting the obnoxious and entitled Kelly Osborne on the viewing public? I loathe her.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

When Roberi designed the plaid/leather skirt, I thought it was a play on the ubiquitous plaid shirt tied around the wait and hanging down the back. Clever.

I just found it ironic that seconds before the other team was criticized because "no one wants to wear a skirt cut like that" 

• Love 13
14 hours ago, mauras said:

To be honest, I'm sorry Tim used up his save on Cornelius. I felt awful about the way Erin and Dexter treated him, but a more talented designer may be eliminated with no hope of a comebacck just because Tim wanted to make Cornelius feel better.

13 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

Haven't been able to watch the episode yet, but I think one of the rules of the "Tim Gunn Save, TM" is that the recipient must go to the finale whether they deserve it or not.

So yay Cornelius, I guess. A whole collection of oversized houndstooth in contrasting colours! I can hardly wait.

Tim seems to use the save emotionally, most of the time. He saved Shar, not because she was so great, but because everyone was so sad she was gone. And he saved Justin for the same reason.

12 hours ago, Albino said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after 15 seasons of Project Runway I would have happily worn any of the 9 ensembles shown tonight.  Red slightly less so, based on color only, but otherwise everything looked pretty cool.  Team Red seemed to have completely forgotten the "Violet" part of the trend, which might have helped with the red redness of the collection.

I was surprised by the fabric choices of the red team. The colors all read orangey-red on my TV, and I took "red violet" to mean a strong blue-ish violet-ish red. Just me?

10 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

Very disappointed in Erin and Dexter.  Erin particular seems very full of herself after her early wins and does not seem to be picking up on what I see as the judges' lack of enthusiasm of late.  Totally agree with AudreyHorne above, and no, I don't see her as front runner anymore.  

Erin has been disappointing to me too. I liked her at first but I'm finding her cockiness off putting. Honey you are not all that.

3 hours ago, Boofish said:

I'm becoming immune to the words bullying, shaming and mean girls. Whenever someone is the odd man out it does not mean he was bullied. Cornelius went int the the team challenge all dressed up and ready to play the role of victim #1. The bottom line is every single team challenge, every single season the judges ask the losing team "who should go home?" They liked Erin's coat so it was obvious she was not an option. So was Dexter supposed to pick Dexter? I don't blame Erin for not picking Dexter either as he is a better designer with a stronger point of view than Cornelius. Cornelius claimed he did "all the work" then take "all the responsibility." He could have made the point that he said it was too much red. It's just way to much talent in that room to waste a save on Cornelius. 

Cornelius talks a good game--he's happy to give snarky talking heads and dis others behind their backs, but I knew this was coming. Anyone smart would have gone into the competition with the aim of being a friend to all, someone who could get along with everyone. Everyone would have been happy to be teamed with Rik or Roberi or Laurence, because they concentrate on the work, not on being a jerk to get camera time. Well, Cornelius, you made your bed. How's it feel? And I agree 100% with @ElectricBoogaloo below, he would have been the first to shut out an "outsider" on a team with his BFF Nathalia, and been just as snotty and dismissive in his interview segments as ever.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I find it comical that Cornelius who has been cliquey with Nathalia and bitchy to just about everyone else was immediately whining about how terrible it was going to be for him to be on a team with Dexter and Erin because they're friends. You know that if he had been on a team with Nathalia and one other person, the two of them would have completely bulldozed the third person's ideas. I also found it hilarious that Nathalia was talking about how she felt so bad for Cornelius being ignored by his teammates when she was also giving gleeful talking heads about how she and Jenni were alternating between steamrolling Mah-Jing, ignoring his suggestions, and making decisions without him.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that Erin and Dexter made it easy for Cornelius to be on their team, but Cornelius hasn't exactly been an innocent victim this whole time either so it's hard for me to feel too sorry for him. If the elimination was supposed to be based on what each person designed, it was a toss up for me. Even if the judges loved Erin's coat, she didn't make the skirt so she wouldn't have had a whole outfit on her own. Dexter's vest and skirt wasn't punk. It looked more like something that a sexy female alien on Star Trek would wear. The outfit that Cornelius originally made was too matchy.

Cornelius could have walked into the break room and asked Erin or Dexter to give him a hand, instead of flouncing around and fuming.  In real life, this is what happens. You're going to be in group settings and have to get along. Not everything is going to go the way you want. Learn to make your voice heard and play well with others. I didn't like any of the red team, for different reasons.

42 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

The question must be asked:  Doesn't Mood carry that oversized hound's tooth check fabric in red?

I actually said that out loud as they were shopping!

• Love 9

I loved the blue teams outfits, especially Rik's.  I could never wear Roberi's skirt although it looked great on his model.

The problem with the red, aside from the mean girls picking on Cornelius, was that pleated skirt was not made well at all.  Even though it was meant to be that way, the hem looked stupid.

I am not so sure the judges don't know what goes on when they make teams.  First of all you can't tell me it wasn't fixed that Dexter/Erin would be together.  When they make teams it always turns out that at least one team is made just for drama.  I was never a fan of Cornelius but either it happened or the editing made it look that way, he was definitely wronged.  I was a little surprised Tim used his save on him but I guess he really felt bad about the way he was treated.

I wasn't crazy about team neutral's outfits.  They were meh.

Edited to add:  I completely forgot Cornelius and Nathaly.  I agree with your whole post Pepper!!

Edited by NYGirl
added
  • Love 4

Nothing to say about the save other than "of course".   Cornelius hasn't had one amazing look yet, so how is he worthy of a save?  I hate that addition to the show.

Edited by Marmiarmo
Answered my own question.
  • Love 4

It seems to me that the designers this season are heavily relying on the jacket/coat. In several challenges, when they are describing their sketches before going to Mood, the words jacket and coat come up constantly. Laurence, Erin, Jenni and Natalia especially. I suppose with the time constraints the designers are forced to fall back onto their strengths, but one way monkeys indeed. If they had adequate time for challenges, maybe they would be more comfortable trying new things. 

• Love 3

Unfortunately, the time constraint leaves us with outfits that are always going to be subpar. Remember when they had time to line stuff? I do like the idea of a coat, but what we get at the end always looks like a bathrobe.

And the talent this season is really sucking. Erin is not the savior, she's becoming a one way monkey indeed.

• Love 9

I didn't think Dexter's outfit was punk, but I did kind of like it. 

Cornelius, the thrower of shade and thin skin when the tables are turned, had the worst outfit of all the designers so I see no problem is his auffing. Even if he kept original skirt with the jacket, it would still have been butt-ugly.

Someone should have Boy George look up the true meaning of the the word bullying. The way the word is thrown away at the slightest hurt feeling does a real disservice to those who are truly bullied.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

I appreciate Laurence's talent, but I do feel we are seeing a limited repertoire from her. Maybe she's trying to use the show to market her leather jackets for her post-show career.

And that's an interesting concept... As a person who was on reality TV demonstrating a complete lack of drama and yet beautiful, wearable garments she could be rather attractive to a certain kind of design house. She, and I would wager several others as well, may have the long play in place - life after Project Runway. I would imagine it would be hard to get in the door and having a good showing on Project Runway may (or may not) be a benefit to them. Were I the director of a fashion house I could see hiring her, Roberi, Rik because they work well and work. Some of the others, not so much. 

I thought Cornelius and Erin were fighting over a similar large print plaid.  Were they both arguing over the small print plaid that eventually became Erin's coat? Ultimately they both could have used the same plaid but with different accent colors. The plaid with a black skirt would have been nice.  (Also now that I look at the runway again on mylifetime, I like Erin's jacket less. The reds just don't work together to me.)

Nathalia has bugged since I realized her hair was blue/pink and thought oh... Harley Quinn, original. 

• Love 2

Was some of the material the blue team used placemat material?  I'm not joking, I'm truly curious.  On the middle look (Rik's?) the jacket had a very stiff looking cape that looked like a placemat.  And on the winning look, the sweater - the darker blue color block looked like placemats to me.  Why did they pick something so thick and then use it in that way?  I liked those pieces, just wished that darker blue material was not so stiff.

• Love 2

I think the TGS was wasted on Cornelius.  My biggest issue about the use of the save is that as a designer it wasn’t deserved.   Cornelius hasn’t shown anything worth commenting on and so far if he wasn’t in the middle and safe, he was on the bottom.  The main reason his execution.  Last week it was the hideous yellow top and none of his past work has been fashion forward or frankly memorable.  Yes you had to at the last minute make a pleated skirt but it was its execution that landed it on the bottom.  The issue wasn’t so much the asymmetrical hem, long in front short in back, because if it had been done well the judges would not have an issue with it.  They just gushed over the Blue team’s asymmetrical skirt.

The other thing – SPEAK THE “F” UP!  Don’t stay quiet in the moment and then talk smack in the confessionals!

·         In the design time before going to Mood you were silent having an attitude from the jump, granted that could have been from editing, but you had virtually nothing to say.

·         Once in Mood if you felt so strongly about the limits of the color palette speak up more forcefully and hey shocker – you can buy some additional fabric.

·         In the workroom, if you are feeling overwhelmed that you are doing too much and your team is slacking and not supporting you, tell them that. It would take 10 seconds to go to Erin and Dexter and say, guys we have a lot to do with the changes after Tim’s critique and it’s bothering me that you two are taking multiple breaks when we have so much to do. Can we all get a little more focused.  I need help on this skirt because I am concerned about the fit.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I dont like it when the judges ask who should go home. But I do think they are trying to determine who worked and who didnt and who stands up for their clothing.

I think the judges know everything that goes on in the workroom before the runway show.  There have been times (can't think of any examples) when the judges asked questions that made me think they watch the workroom footage before the judging.

• Love 3

I've been sewing all my life and have taken classes in many areas of sewing including tailoring.  I've made everything from t-shirts to fully lined coats.  Having said that, I just don't get the unfinished edges that so many of these designers use.  Even Rik's coat was nothing but unfinished edges, something that was a huge no no in every class I've taken.  But so many of these designers leave so many edges unfinished and unraveling.  And I just didn't get Roberi's win. I thought the skirt was awful and unwearable.  I also don't understand the love for Laurence's "tuxedo".  I thought it was ill-fitting and I did not get a tuxedo vibe at all, as the tails in the back looked like a penguin tail.  Of the three on the Blue team, I thought Rik's items were the nicest.  

I really have begun to dislike Erin and Dexter, and while some may dislike the mean girls designation, it fits perfectly for those two.  They behaved badly, like a couple of divas who think they've got it in the bag as winners.  

• Love 4

I've been wondering if Tim would have used his save on Erin or Dexter if one of them had been eliminated.  I didn't think Erin should be eliminated, would have been OK with Dexter going, but I didn't think the red team should be the loser, either.  Would the neutral team have been on the bottom without the "pop-up" vote?  I'm so allergic to those colors that that collection would never appeal to me, but I actually disliked the blue team's more.  To me, there were too many unfinished edges, and the multi-fabric, multi-hemlength skirt mystified me.  

And I think Alec probably deserved the save more than Cornelius.  Cornelius's designs have not been very impressive so far.  I get Tim's emotional reaction to Erin's and Dexter's mean-girl behavior, but Cornelius has said and done the same and worse all season, so my sympathy is limited.  

Anyway, I have a feeling Erin and Dexter would just have been sent to pack up their things and not given the save.  Tim's saves are always based on emotion rather than actual talent, it seems.  

• Love 3

I haven't been enamored of Cornelius, Erin, or Dexter from anything we've seen so far, designs or personality. While it seems like an obvious solution to Cornelius being concerned at Mood about not enough variation in their fabrics, the budget was for the whole team, right? If the others don't agree to spending money on fabric they don't have any intention of using and see as throwing off their vision for the collection, he may not have had the ability to get something different to help balance out their looks. The combination of limited time constraints, teams full of diverse attitudes and aesthetics, and people not seeming to invest the same amount of energy into working towards a common goal of a strong collection (too many loudly announced snack breaks and what appeared to be an homage to sticking a "kick me" sign via $0.99 price tag on someone's butt) means the producers expect the audience to be entertained by shenanigans more than tuning in to see what a talented group can put together outside manufactured idiocy. I don't think Tim saving Cornelius will have an impact one way or the other on the outcome for Fashion Week. At least the save is off the table now.

I really didn't understand why Team Neutral seemed so locked in on ivory and tobacco as their colors. Would taupe or grey have killed them? I have a lot of grey in my closet, primarily because it is incredibly versatile and easy to pair with other colors or in monochrome.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Can a just give a giant DITTO to this entire post???

...especially the bit about how "mean girls" Cornelius and Nathalia would be. Did you see her trying to squeeze out some tears when she thought Cornelius was aufed? She looked like she was going to pull a tear duct.

ETA: Meant to mention how hideous HIDEOUS the Blah teams outfits were. Just sad and pathetic. Looked like something someone over 80 would wear because it's"tasteful." I liked Rik's outfit on the Blue Team (and I thought he should have won), but Roberri's and Laurence's did nothing for me. The tails on Laurence's "Chanel" jacket looked odd...almost lie a real tail...and I found it creepy from the back. From the front, it was just boring. I also saw grunge flannel shirt tied around the waist for Roberri's skirt. Not punk. Punks wore actual kilts a lot, right? Or is my memory getting fuzzy? They can get rid of Jenni and Nathalia any day now. Jenni saying that was "her" color? It's not even a COLOR!

Edited by carrps
  • Love 5

Here's (another thing) I don't understand.  If you work in the fashion industry and you are assigned a collaborator (as a friend of mine who worked for Ralph Lauren often was) isn't part of the quality of the work you do about how well you collaborate?  When these judges decide there will be teams nobody's happy - because no designer wants to compromise his or her aesthetic.  So if collaboration is insisted upon, then should how good (or not) a designer is at doing that be taken into consideration?  One doesn't have to be a mean girl (although I think Erin is one) to resist compromising her aesthetic.  

The thing is that it wasn't just about friendship - it was also that both Dexter and Erin - and for a couple weeks now - have decided that they are the best (as in Dexter's saying that if he and Erin don't go to the finals there is no justice).  So now they're on a team and they feel superior to the 3rd teammate.  

Being a good designer takes a completely different skill set from being a good collaborator.  But if the judges are going to force collaboration on the designers, shouldn't they be informed that they'll be judged on how well they collaborate??

Random other thoughts:

I actually do think that when two of the three team members are taking lots of breaks and snacking to the exclusion of the other team member, that IS being mean girls.  Because I certainly wouldn't insinuate myself into a "how bout let's take a break" situation - to which I have not been invite.  Junior high school girl behavior.

I also think talking head snark is quite a different thing than arrogantly ignoring the 3rd member of your team.   And I'll state again for the record that I don't like Cornelius much - so far as I can tell, not knowing him and all.

I like Kelly Osbourne a lot.  Don't care at all what she puts on her hair.

And I love Mah J . . . ?  You know.  That guy.  Really like him.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, tpplay said:

I actually do think that when two of the three team members are taking lots of breaks and snacking to the exclusion of the other team member, that IS being mean girls.  Because I certainly wouldn't insinuate myself into a "how bout let's take a break" situation - to which I have not been invite.  Junior high school girl behavior.

In a social situation, I would not join a break to which I was not invited. This wasn't a social situation. It was work. If I'm working, and the people I'm working with keep taking breaks, I'm going to go in there and ask them to come help me. If I'm feeling nice, I'll ask for help with something specific. If I'm really irritated, I'll take a page from a former boss's playbook and tell the, "Less talking. More working."

5 minutes ago, tpplay said:

And I love Mah J . . . ?  You know.  That guy.  Really like him.

That's pretty close to what Cornelius called him the last time these contestants had a team challenge. The time when Mah Jing told his team they needed more color and no one (including Cornelius) listened to him. That's part of why I'm having a really hard time feeling sorry for Cornelius.

Cornelius hasn't  just been snarky in his talking heads. One of the first things I remember from him was in episode two when he was running around saying, "No shade, but ..." and then telling everyone how bad Brik's design was. (Mind you, it wasn't good, but it wasn't a team challenge, so eyes on your own work, Cornelius.)

• Love 7
17 hours ago, GaT said:

I knew Tim was going to save Cornelius, the pleated skirt was the reason his look sucked, if he had kept the skirt he made to go with the jacket, I think Dexter would have been eliminated & I think that was why Tim saved him. 

I actually liked both Rik & Laurence's looks better than Roberi's, but, whatever.

That's a very good point.  I noticed too during Tim's consultation with the designers he was raving about the red teams look.  He may have felt some responsibility for their loss, so he may have saved any one of the red team.

• Love 1

I'm surprised that none of the judges commented that the Red team did nothing in the color they were assigned.  It was supposed to be red violet, not red.  Did none of them ever have the 64 count box of Crayola crayons?  

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-violet

I think the Tim Gunn Save should be done away with. Or maybe they could do something like Top Chef's Last Chance Kitchen and have a "design off". Anyway, I think it was wasted on Cornelius.  He should've been auf'ed for the horribly done yellow top. 

I didn't realize at first that the red thing on the front of Erin's coat was a pocket. Hid.e.ous.  

• Love 6
18 hours ago, lasandi said:

Really someone needs to tell Kelly O. the meaning of the word "bullied" .  Dexter was asked the question of who should go home exactly to cause controversy.  He answered, Cornelius objected etc. etc. etc..  Cornelius is no shrinking violet and he spoke up for himself just fine.  I could tell Dexter didn't want to answer that question; his face froze.   TPTB saw the friction between them - Cornelius feeling like he was doing all the work and the other 2 laughing it up in the break room.  They got the reaction they wanted.  So IMO, Tim saying mean girls and Kelly using bullied was totally out of line.

6 hours ago, Jolie said:

Someone should have Boy George look up the true meaning of the the word bullying. The way the word is thrown away at the slightest hurt feeling does a real disservice to those who are truly bullied.

So, wasn't Kelly O on a previous season of PR where she also called out some bullying? Was it last year with Ashley? This seems to be her thing.

• Love 4

Finally had the "opportunity" to watch this episode. I'm going to chime in and say I'm so damn tired of bullying being used in the way that it is used on every forking reality show, when there are people in the world who ARE actually bullied and even end up taking their own lives due to the severity of same bullying. They did NOT bully Cornelius: they ignored him and goofed off while he was obviously needing some attention/ help. That's not bullying.

Erin and Dexter are, apparently, the worst kind of superficial silly girls. The whole snacking, laughing, goofing off: it's all annoying and totally changes the way I felt at the first of the season when I thought BOTH of them were shoo-ins for the finale. I don't care if and when either or both of them go home, and I don't care how talented they are. They haven't really shown it recently. Heidi LOVED Erin's red coat, AGAIN, and even loved the pockets which I thought were weird, but I guess I can see how they might be called fashion-y.

I didn't think any of the teams did too badly. This would have been yet ANOTHER case of when they could have kept everyone and done a double elimination when it was MORE deserved. Now Tim has used his save and that probably means, to validate Tim's taste or authority, or whatever, that we will see Cornelius in the finale.

Was refreshing to see how well Roberri, Rik and Laurence worked together. I loved that blue plaid.

Also, even though I don't care for Jenni OR Nathalia, they did work hard to include Mah after he let Tim or let them know he was feeling kind of pushed aside. Mah Jing's a nice kid and I really like his personality.

Had so much hope for these designers, but some of the ones I was excited about are acting entitled, silly, talentless and petty. I'm completely swinging towards Laurence, Rik and Roberri (subject to change yet again, of course).

• Love 10

Has Tim used his save this early before?? I mean, there are still 9 designers left, so I can see Cornelius being one of the 6 eliminations before the finale... they won't eliminate him immediately, but I feel like the finale is far enough off that he will still end up gone before we get to the end.

I stand by my assertion that they don't actually want the Tim Gunn save to exist, so he wasted it early on to get rid of it this season :P

Edited by roctavia