Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

32 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

DON'T PANIC.     I saw a lot of people "lose" their retirement savings because they sold at a loss when stocks crashed, rather than sitting calmly and letting things run their course.   If you are nowhere near retirement age and have a solid diversified portfolio, you'll be just fine in the long run.

Agreed.  I freaked out more about my kid's 529 plans than anything in 2008-2009.  They eventually came roaring back, thank goodness.  I put my son's in really conservative stuff when he hit Jr year in high school so I'm not losing it about that now.  I moved my my retirement to safe stuff about six months ago.  I'll move it back on Wednesday if Hillary wins.

12 minutes ago, fastiller said:

Breathing.

Hugs, and I forgot that I initially stopped in the thread to offer up a group hug.

• Love 6

Anxious.  Now they're saying HRC lead narrowing.  Mom called me and said she's behind in "the 270".  

I go to read what Nate Silver's group has lately as that group takes a lot of polls and runs through the stats and models.  HRC still predicted as winning, but the percentage has been steadily dropping.  Someone noted on another site that the races always seem to tighten up right before election day, but it's not real comforting.  I just do not understand how anyone could think the Orange one is qualified.   No real knowledge and such a horrible temper.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

Anxious.  Now they're saying HRC lead narrowing.  Mom called me and said she's behind in "the 270".  

They're saying this despite the fact that she's been leading in pretty much all of the final polls.  They're trying to get eyeballs and clicks.

• Love 6

CNN is saying that Hillary is no longer at 270, which made my stomach drop. Then I remembered what a ratings whore CNN is and how Republican biased they have become.

Most watch more dog vids on youtube....

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

It's Friday, 3:30 pm here, is it too early to start drinking?

Every Friday, here in the office, it's Beer:00, usually at 4 (but ya know, it's always after 4 somewhere!)

• Love 2
(edited)

I went to Dave and Busters and played some awesome arcade games. Had a blissful election free day, then returned home to watch the latest Lego Batman trailer.

From the depth of my soul, I believe the Cubs winning and awesome trailers/pictures we got this week (Wonder Woman, Lego Batman, and Beauty and the Beast) are contributing to positive energy and are all good signs that everything is going to be all right.

I hope.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

It's Friday, 3:30 pm here, is it too early to start drinking?

Nope. 

3 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I'm going to do it, ebk57. I will pick up a bottle of champagne after I vote on Tuesday.

I'm going to go and buy my Johnnie and Moet Rose on MONDAY.

3 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Every Friday, here in the office, it's Beer:00, usually at 4 (but ya know, it's always after 4 somewhere!)

That's what I say when I have a Mimosa: "It's morning somewhere!"

1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

I went to Dave and Busters and played some awesome arcade games. Had a blissful election free day, then returned home to watch the latest Lego Batman trailer.

From the depth of my soul, I believe the Cubs winning and awesome trailers/pictures we got this week (Wonder Woman, Lego Batman, and Beauty and the Beast) are contributing to positive energy and are all good signs that everything is going to be all right.

I hope.

You forgot to BOLD Beauty and the Beast!!!!

• Love 5

I have not experienced this myself, but I've heard secondhand of both CNN and Fox News getting hacked in the last couple of days. And maybe this is me putting on my tinfoil hat, but I can't help thinking that those hacks are a trial run for some serious fuckery on election night coverage. I just envision the Russians or some other pro-Trump group hacking into the major networks and putting up fake news that Trump has won (which, please, universe, let that be fake news instead of real news), just to fuel anger and accusations once the actual results are announced. I mean, can you imagine what a clusterfuck it would be if Trump's supporters are told by the "networks" that he has won, but the next day they're told that Hillary won? Or even if the hack occurs and there is no fake news but just blank screens, then people will be screaming that Obama ordered the networks shut down long enough to do some shenanigans and steal the election for Hillary. I sincerely hope I am just being overly paranoid here, but I am fearful there is going to be some serious craziness going on that day.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, NinjaPenguins said:

That is one ugly piece of food. It looks like a vomit snowball.

Hey now! That is some yummy cheddar. It looks weird, yes, but tastes soooooo good. Trump wishes he were as appealing as that cheese. 

• Love 6

The Washington Post had a tweet describing Hillary's "narrow 4-point lead."  Please bear in mind, that's just about the margin Obama had in 2012, and that was something akin to a blow-out.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, magdalene said:

CNN is saying that Hillary is no longer at 270, which made my stomach drop. Then I remembered what a ratings whore CNN is and how Republican biased they have become.

Most watch more dog vids on youtube....

How can she not be at 270? At this point, I don't know how another Republican can ever win the WH. There are states that used to be reliably red that are no longer, like VA, NM, and CO. She's going to win!

• Love 5
On 11/3/2016 at 8:33 AM, muessigkeit said:

I'm German. SNIP
The message that has been drilled into my head over and over again is "We can never allow this to happen again. It is our responsibility to prevent something like this from ever happening again."

And now I'm sitting here, in my bedroom in Germany, and I'm seeing all the parallels between Trump's campaign and Hitler's (the scapegoating of a religious minority, the "We need to make our country great again" rhetoric, even the refusal of some liberals to hold their nose and compromise to prevent what they see as the worse of two evils) and there is literally nothing I can do about it. I feel completely helpless.

There is a huge segment of people that have been highlighting the parallels of Trump's campaign to Hitler's rise to power. It's horrifying. 

The only thing you can do is speak up to your American friends. Feel free to chime in and have an opinion. Normally I'm of the belief that non-residents should STFU. This election, for the love of dog, speak up, speak out against Trump. Do it on behalf of yourself, your like minded friends and the planet.

• Love 8

I will be working Tuesday evening, until past 9  PM.  Dammit .

I have come across two people recently - one from work, one a long-time online friend. who have no plans to vote.  One said she doesn't register to vote because she doesn't want to be called for jury duty.  The other is of the mindset that politics is boring and she mocks her husband for being glued to CNN to follow the campaign.  She has no interest at all.  I am stunned, and both these individuals have gone way down in my estimation.  We have, for the first time ever, a smart accomplished woman running against an inexperienced, homophobic, misogynistic man - and HE MIGHT WIN. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, backformore said:

I have come across two people recently - one from work, one a long-time online friend. who have no plans to vote.  One said she doesn't register to vote because she doesn't want to be called for jury duty. 

One has nothing to do with the other! If your friend drives, works (pays taxes) or owns property she can be called. My mom would get a jury summons every year or so and she wasn't a citizen (therefore not registered to vote). She has a drivers license, owns property and pays taxes.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, backformore said:

I honestly wish I could take the day off and help with GOTV efforts.  I did in 2008 as well.

Not in New York, I think she's got that, but they've been asking for volunteers to help in PA.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

There is a huge segment of people that have been highlighting the parallels of Trump's campaign to Hitler's rise to power. It's horrifying. 

The only thing you can do is speak up to your American friends. Feel free to chime in and have an opinion. Normally I'm of the belief that non-residents should STFU. This election, for the love of dog, speak up, speak out against Trump. Do it on behalf of yourself, your like minded friends and the planet.

Oh, believe me all my American friends are voting for Hillary. I'm still scared for them, though. They're all gay/bisexual women and some of them have serious health problems. I'm scared how their lives would be impacted by Trump becoming President. I'm scared of the Republicans abolishing Obamacare and leaving my friends without health insurance (again). And it's horrifying to me that with one nomination to the Supreme Court decades of progress for the LGBT community could be made null and void and that even such a basic human right as women's bodily autonomy is in jeopardy.

I'm speaking up where I can. I just still can't believe it even came to this.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

I go to read what Nate Silver's group has lately as that group takes a lot of polls and runs through the stats and models.  HRC still predicted as winning, but the percentage has been steadily dropping.  Someone noted on another site that the races always seem to tighten up right before election day, but it's not real comforting.  I just do not understand how anyone could think the Orange one is qualified.   No real knowledge and such a horrible temper.  

Nate has said his models are failing. There are some better sites floating around 

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/fivethirtyeights-extraordinary-prediction-model-is-failing-in-the-clinton-trump-race-and-thats-according-to-its-guru-nate-silver/

• Love 1

All the news channels and shows want you to watch every freaking minute.  I think they are motivated to make the next few days as dramatic and nail biting as possible.  I'm thinking a lot of it is manufactured drama.

• Love 3

I meant to add my thoughts on what terrifies me about a Trump presidency. I agree with what others have listed earlier in this forum but this article reminded me of what I wanted to add: https://thinkprogress.org/trump-zero-out-federal-clean-energy-56cca794790#.64gesemsr

Environmental issues. Although Hillary isn't super strong in this area, Trump would be a disaster. We need to take huge action ASAP, as is apparent with all the crazy weather/storms we've been having. Going backwards is not an option.

Edited to add: Just saw this on twitter, coincidentally tweeted by Candace Smith and retweeted by Hillary's people: Trump: "I've actually been called an environmentalist if you can believe that."

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

All the news channels and shows want you to watch every freaking minute.  I think they are motivated to make the next few days as dramatic and nail biting as possible.  I'm thinking a lot of it is manufactured drama.

That's what Martin Short told Bill Maher on his show tonight -- hoping to calm him down a little bit.  Maher is having a serious freak-out and it's contagious, so don't watch tonight's show if you want to sleep for the next four days.

Maher thinks we're in the midst of a right-wing Republican coup, aided by rogue FBI agents, and Russia.  He reminded us that when Trump announced, nobody took him seriously, he was just trying to burnish his brand.  Then everyone said he wouldn't really run, then that he wouldn't get any votes in the primaries, then we thought he'd lose the Republican debates, and that he certainly wouldn't get the nomination.  Now everyone's saying Trump can't possibly win.  It is truly the stuff of nightmares.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, AuntiePam said:

That's what Martin Short told Bill Maher on his show tonight -- hoping to calm him down a little bit.  Maher is having a serious freak-out and it's contagious, so don't watch tonight's show if you want to sleep for the next four days.

Maher thinks we're in the midst of a right-wing Republican coup, aided by rogue FBI agents, and Russia.  He reminded us that when Trump announced, nobody took him seriously, he was just trying to burnish his brand.  Then everyone said he wouldn't really run, then that he wouldn't get any votes in the primaries, then we thought he'd lose the Republican debates, and that he certainly wouldn't get the nomination.  Now everyone's saying Trump can't possibly win.  It is truly the stuff of nightmares.

Too late for me. I watched Bill Maher and I need to get drunk now.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Advance35 said:

No kidding, after the Election on Tuesday (DEAR GOD PLEASE BANISH EVIL ORANGE) I serious think we will need a "Recovery Thread".  I think I'm  going to need you guys to help me rebuild.  LOL.

Brian Williams finished his show tonight with  "Have a good weekend - unless you're following this election."

Truer words.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Too late for me. I watched Bill Maher and I need to get drunk now.

I brushed my teeth already, but I am thinking of having a wine and re-brushing the teeth!!!

Edited by fastiller
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, DeLurker said:

My anxiety actually has me stress eating today which is a really unusual thing.  Normally when I am stressed, I can't handle food.

I've consumed enough Cheetos to ensure I have a stroke or a heart attack any minute now.  The Cheetos just happened to be what was on hand, nothing symbolic...unless his Orangeness winning the election brings on the heart attack and/or stroke which the Cheetos primed me for.

I stocked up on things I know I will be eating and usually don't.  At least in any quantity.  Which is a rarity for me as well.  I like to eat while I watch certain shows.  Especially those that have the words Great, Bake and Off.  But I won't be watching anything on Tuesday until the live episode of The Daily Show in hopes that it will be a repeat of the 2008 episode that had President Obama's win air live which prompted me to watch his speech.

If the worst happens I suspect that it will not be called until after midnight and I can go to bed and hopefully a stray asteroid will give me a flash bang gone millisecond just before dawn and I never have to actually wake and live in That World.

5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Brian Williams finished his show tonight with  "Have a good weekend - unless you're following this election."

Truer words.

Eh.  Williams and Truth are as far apart as the two candidates in terms of experience.   Even if I wasn't following the election just seeing his patronizing smug lyin' face would have ruined my weekend.  And the real irony is that he is deeply hoping that people are still following the election since that is not only his job but it is the job he managed to ooze back into thanks in part to the furor of the election cycle hiding the fact that Lyin' Brian should have been cashiered out and the real political commentary left to people who do the jobs of fact finding and true analysis.  Not play a rivaled round of who can suck up the hardest to their Universal/Comcast overlords with Matt Lauer or Joe Scarborough (though I think Scarborough has gone well past the accepted form mandated by their No Tax Paying Greedy Bastards in Charge.

Not to dump on you Quilt Fairy in any way.  I just hate the fact that this man has no business being back due to his past and has shown how inept he is in the present at MSNBC and I can't help but blame this whole shitfest of an election cycle in some ways.  So for him to utter yet another patronizing attempt at witticism that actually belies not just his presence but the actual reason for his presence just rubs me the wrong way.  I'm going to have to think about what to do for the next three days to keep my sanity.  Making sure I avoid anything that might expose me to that ass is probably a good start.

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 1

For them to be able to call the election when the West Coast closes at 11pm EST, Hillary has to have won PA and NH plus any one of OH, VA or FL by then. I think.

NV and CO will probably come in before the West Coast as well. But as long as PA doesn't take too long (it didn't for Obama in either of his elections) the real key is going to be OH, VA and FL- any one of those three comes in before the West Coast and I think we'll know she's safe. VA has been her best polling swing state all year, so I'm hoping it's that one. OH and FL always take forever, although I believe Obama won OH fairly early on in both 08 and 12. My guess is that won't be the case this time, I actually think FL is probably a safer state for Hillary than OH this year, but it will still likely take a while, like it always does (unless Hispanic turnout is astronomical, so fingers crossed- early voting looks really good so far on that score).

And NC too, although the state was razor thin in the last two elections, so I'm not sure if that one is likely to be called early either. If it is then that's the ballgame. My eyes are going to be on VA.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2

The biggest problem I have with everything happening -- Trump's never-ending lies, the FBI's betrayal of the public trust, Trump's supporters saying on TV that Hillary ought to be executed, all of it -- is that nobody is trying to stop it.   Nobody is saying "this will not stand."  Not the Department of Justice, not the President, not the Democratic members of Congress.   Nobody.   If the situation were reversed, Republican voters would be marching in the streets screaming for heads.  Hell, they're threatening to do that if they lose.   But where is the outcry from Democrats?  All this past year we've seen protests and riots in cities around America over isolated incidents.   Now the whole republic is at risk and folks can't be bothered.   There's just hand-wringing and resignation. 

I don't understand the overwhelming silence. 

• Love 15
5 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

I stocked up on things I know I will be eating and usually don't.  At least in any quantity.  Which is a rarity for me as well.  I like to eat while I watch certain shows.  Especially those that have the words Great, Bake and Off.  But I won't be watching anything on Tuesday until the live episode of The Daily Show in hopes that it will be a repeat of the 2008 episode that had President Obama's win air live which prompted me to watch his speech.

Is it bad that I am somehow relieved that the election induced stress eating is not just me?  Even Mary Berry baking something just for me probably could not materially change my distress. 

I was trying to figure out how to avoid all news and election coverage on Tuesday until the results were in.  I knew I should have ordered that Cone of Silence!

I paid for a month of Playstation Vue so I could watch the election returns on MSNBC.  Now I know I'm going to be watching news in addition to compulsively checking the internet.  May G-d have mercy to me.

37 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

If you are on Facebook, join the group Pantsuit Nation. A friend recently added me and I'm loving seeing the positive posts in my feed. Just knowing there are so many of us out there is making me feel better.

Is it back up? I know it was down for awhile yesterday. It's fantastic. I'm in a much smaller closed group, too, where it moves a little slower, so conversations are easier. We've helped each other find ways to help the campaign that fit us--someone just shared that you can text supporters using Moveon.org (I haven't checked that out myself). I'm spending Monday and Tuesday working for the campaign and Tuesday night...well, you know. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Darian said:

Is it back up? I know it was down for awhile yesterday. It's fantastic. I'm in a much smaller closed group, too, where it moves a little slower, so conversations are easier. We've helped each other find ways to help the campaign that fit us--someone just shared that you can text supporters using Moveon.org (I haven't checked that out myself). I'm spending Monday and Tuesday working for the campaign and Tuesday night...well, you know. 

Yes, it's up now. The inspirational posts of why people are voting for Hillary are getting me all teary. 

• Love 2

I'll probably do the same thing I did when the World Series was on - take a peek online every once in a while, and watch CSI Miami or Law & Order reruns.  I was way too nervous to watch.  It worked for my Cubbies, so hopefully (please God), the mojo works for HRC.

• Love 4

I feel a little more encouraged that things will go well in North Carolina thanks to Rev. Barber's (Moral Mondays) efforts, as well as the efforts of the NAACP.  Even after that state's shenanigans were declared unconstitutional, they still want to try to deny Blacks and others who would typically vote Blue, the right to vote.

Well, the state has been ordered to restore the voter registrations of voters removed from the polls.  I shake my head and still can't believe this is happening in 2016!

Judge Smacks North Carolina

• Love 8

If anyone ever needed to know why the Republican party are the villains of American politics, they need only look at their voter suppression and gerrymandering tactics in the South. It's quite staggering that people who seek to circumvent the democratic process through institutionalised cheating and disenfranchisement can see themselves as righteous.

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

I'll probably do the same thing I did when the World Series was on - take a peek online every once in a while, and watch CSI Miami or Law & Order reruns.  I was way too nervous to watch.  It worked for my Cubbies, so hopefully (please God), the mojo works for HRC.

I won't be watching either. I'll just work myself up into a nervous frenzy if I do that especially if it's close. I've already got a couple of movies picked out to watch. (One is All The President's Men. Watching Robert Redford will be very calming for my poor nerves. )  I have a couple of friends who are going to text me when (Please! Please!) Hillary has been declared the winner. Only then will I turn the TV on. And pour the champagne.

• Love 2

Peeked in a little this morning and timed it just right to hear about how superior Hillary's ground game is, particularly in NC and Nevada. (Trump may, possibly, be writing off Nevada.) Weirdly, they said he cancelled the rally in Michigan and is instead going to....Minnesota?????

Disarray in the opposition is always a good sign.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 4