Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

JACKSON Heights! I knew Brooklyn sounded wrong there. But it must be Brooklyn's broken out in fights, to rhyme with Heights?

Only one season? TV is rigged!

Edited by ABay
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

Attention, champagne connoisseurs: I am going liquor shopping tonight and was hoping someone could direct me to a decent, $30-range bottle, if such a thing exists.

Piper Heidsick, Veuve Clicquot and Moët & Chandon all have some bottles in the $40-60 range usually.  I can't think of any specifically at the $30 price point.

• Love 1

I though they were taking poetic license rhyming "riots" with "Heights".

In other news, now that I've remembered theme song lyrics from a 60's TV show, where the hell are my keys? Wait, why did I come into this room? There's only so many brain cells left, you know.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

Piper Heidsick, Veuve Clicquot and Moët & Chandon all have some bottles in the $40-60 range usually.  I can't think of any specifically at the $30 price point.

You can get a nice Proseco at Trader Joe's for a reasonable cost. Yesterday I splurged on a split of Veuve Clicquot to be opened tomorrow night!!!

• Love 7

@Quilt Fairy, this is obviously far too serious an issue to remain unresolved in these troubled times. Here's a video with the original theme but not the original images. It sounds like "fights" to me. Your keys are rpobably with my sun glasses.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I managed to have a stress-free day today.  I went to a big cat rescue/sanctuary, and spent the afternoon photographing a lion and half a dozen tigers, then I came home to the news about Comey's letter, so not a bad last Sunday of the campaign season.

Photography fan, here. Those are wonderful! I know its the photographer, not the camera, but just curious what camera/lens you used. Really, really nice!   (Only could be improved if one of them had a tuft of yellow thatched hair floating from its lips after a delicious 240 lb. dinner)

• Love 5

Derailing this convo from Car54 theme song and from talk of champers/prosecco: I've got a few friends who are equally pro-HRC as I am.  Many of them are Facebook friends too (I've got a rule about FB: I must have been in the same room as you or had an actual face-to-face convo w/ you to be FB friends; am I alone in that?).

So, several of them are as anxious as those of us posting in this thread.  I've been tempted to say to my RL friends: "Go to p.tv, there's a great thread filled with pictures of cats and videos of classic TV show themes and commiserations.  You'll feel soothed there."  

THEN!!! THEN!!! THEN!!! Then I think: NOPE! I'm gonna be selfish and keep the p.tv group small, and exclusive.  Is it wrong of me that I don't want to share my p.tv experiences with my RL friends?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, potatoradio said:

Attention, champagne connoisseurs: I am going liquor shopping tonight and was hoping someone could direct me to a decent, $30-range bottle, if such a thing exists. I don't drink champagne much and have no idea what I'm doing beyond avoiding the $3 pink stuff.

If you want to go cheaper, I quite like Korbel Brut, which is around $15.

Eta - I forgot about Iron Horse, mentioned below. They are quite good, and I think in the $35 range. They, and Korbel are American.

Edited by gatopretoNYC
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

Attention, champagne connoisseurs: I am going liquor shopping tonight and was hoping someone could direct me to a decent, $30-range bottle, if such a thing exists. I don't drink champagne much and have no idea what I'm doing beyond avoiding the $3 pink stuff. I need one bottle to pop for an HRC win. If HRC wins and the Dems win control in the Senate, I think we'll drink the champagne we got as a wedding gift. 

(By the way, are you supposed to store champagne in the fridge or in a cool, dark place like a bottle of wine?)

This trip to the liquor store will occupy a good chunk of time on Election Eve.

For today, I've been watching vid clips of the David Pumpkins and Space Pants skits from SNL. I need silly. Plain old silly. I'm beyond being calmed by cute at this point, I'm so spitting mad at the BS that's gone down the last week.

But, for the record, thumbs up for the big cat sanctuary. I visited one a few months ago and the guide showed us how to "chuff" at a tiger. Beyond awesome. 

Ha ha - and two of us at work have taken the day after Election Day off as a "mental health" day. 

I'm also a fan of Veuve Clicqout Yellow label.  If you want to go All-American I'd suggest:  Scharffenberger Brut Rose,  Schramsberg Brut Rose or Iron Horse.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Padma said:

Photography fan, here. Those are wonderful! I know its the photographer, not the camera, but just curious what camera/lens you used. Really, really nice!

Thank you! They were shot with a Canon 5D Mark 3 and a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 lens

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, khyber said:

Yesterday I splurged on a split of Veuve Clicquot to be opened tomorrow night!!!

I bought a bottle this morning. I'm either going to consume its entire contents with glee -- or just beat myself in the face with it in the event of worst case scenario. 

I celebrated 25 years of sobriety this year, so drinking is out.  I think I'm going to go to a movie tomorrow afternoon.  The one I want to see is about 2hrs and 19 minutes.  That should help.  Then, that night, I'm going to gorge on pizza while watching the results with my husband and kids. 

• Love 16

I have read in several places that DT tweets from an android and his staff uses an iphone in his name. Apparently the android tweets are angrier and more off the wall. I don't tweet so I am wondering if there is an easy way to tell which device a tweet is sent from? Just morbid curiosity on my part.  I don't notice any designation on his twitter page. Thanks if anyone has an answer. :)

I'm feeling very positive today! I watched the pantsuit flash mob video and that made me smile. Bloom County was great yesterday, with Milo and Binkley and Opus wearing white with purple scarves. And it's a beautiful sunny day here so I'm going to take my new hip out for a walk.

Here's a pic of my latest rescue kitten, in a ray of sunlight.

Zeta in sunlight.jpg

• Love 19
32 minutes ago, ABay said:

@fastiller, no! I mention this place sometimes but not by name because I don't want to share.

Ditto!  I can barely keep up with everyone now.  I've thought about getting this place out there in an article in HuffPost -- how well it is moderated and cared for, how we can disagree and not have to think of the "other" as evil -- but I selfishly changed my mind.  

• Love 9

About champagne - in addition to the wonderful suggestions already put out, I'm a big fan of Gruet (from New Mexico!), Mumm and Gloria Ferrer.  I believe they all sell bottles in the $20 range.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Kromm said:

Sarandon was on The Young Turks YouTube show the other day and said pretty much the same thing about why she's now voting for Stein. The host even tried to confront her with the angle about how this might help Trump get elected and how easy it is for Sarandon from a position of extreme privilege to take this pointless stand, and then Sarandon went into some really stupid rants that sounded straight out of Trump-land (about Syria, and "corruption" and other nonsense of that kind). 

I caught the end of Stephen Colbert's interview with Viggo Mortenson.  Viggo is voting for Stein.  Of course he is.  He lives in fucking Spain! 

• Love 7

Thanks for the champagne recommendations! 

Tomorrow can't get here soon enough. I can't wait to vote. I have VanHalen's "Dreams" and Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" and Aretha Franklin/Annie Lennox's "Sisters (are doing it for themselves)" cued up and ready to roll. I can't even concentrate today at work. 

Funny, I thought back in 2000 I was truly flipping the middle finger to "the establishment" with my vote. This year, my vote feels like a real action against a much more despicable establishment. I'm not voting for HRC because she's a woman, but my vote does feel like one tiny rebellion against the misogyny that's a much bigger threat to democracy than a two-party choice. 

• Love 11

Gah, this is terrible, I have to go get my hair and nails done and I have zero patience for that crap today.  Do you suppose they'll let me use my Sirius phone app to stay tuned into MSNBC?

This has become the only place that I feel "safe" to express myself and my anxiety on the internet - thanks for being her ya'll!  ♥  Be back later?

• Love 9

I don't know what I'm going to do with myself.  My friend wanted to have a get-together for the results but I just don't know if I can remain composed.  I feel like I'm going to start SCREAMING my head off.  I just don't want to see it or hear it AGAIN. EVER.

God I hate feeling this scared.

• Love 6

I had to peek my head out from my election anxiety bunker to share this: My office is going to be closed Wednesday.  It's a civil rights non-profit, so elections are always a major topic of conversation, and obviously never more so than this year (at least we're all on the same side).  Everyone is a big ball of anxiety, so the executive director just announced that since everyone is going to be hung over, half of us have already said we're not coming in/working that day (including her), etc. she's just calling it an official mental health day and closing up shop.

• Love 19

I'm impressed that so many are going to watch the election results! I'm a thoroughgoing coward and will leave the TV solidly off.

I certainly wont.  I'm going to tell my friends they can forget it.  I'll sporadically check this thread.  Dear god.   I don't think I'm going to be able to eat anything at all that day.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

This has become the only place that I feel "safe" to express myself and my anxiety on the internet - thanks for being her ya'll!  ♥  Be back later?

Me as well.  I've spent months sounding  (and on bad days, looking like) Howard Beale at the peak of madness ("I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take your mindless denial that a Stein vote helps Trump anymore!") Such a relief reading posts here -- Lies debunked! Links! Intelligent commentary!  Humor! -- thank god PTV opened this forum.

ETA:

I've certainly lost any respect I may have had for Sarandon, but on the flip side, I tip my hat to Sarah Silverman who acted like a reasonable, sane adult after her first choice candidate lost

The primary tape of Sarandon trying to play "gotcha!" with Dolores Huerta killed any right Sarandon has to call herself a liberal activist. When you're playing games like that with an eighty something Latina organizer -- who had her spleen busted apart by cops while you were traipsing around Cannes in a designer dress -- in that scenario, who the fuck is the elitist? 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 9
55 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

About champagne - in addition to the wonderful suggestions already put out, I'm a big fan of Gruet (from New Mexico!), Mumm and Gloria Ferrer.  I believe they all sell bottles in the $20 range.

I love Mumm! Hoping to visit the winery this weekend.

For reasons too complicated to get into, I will be with my husband's Repub friends tomorrow night. My original plan of drinking and watching the results will not happening since I have less of a chance of holding my tongue. So I am trying to plan a game night to pass time in the evening or go see a movie or something. I am kind of bummed, I was looking forward to the live chat.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I celebrated 25 years of sobriety this year, so drinking is out.  I

Congratulations! And for what it's worth, I think POM pomegranate juice is the next best thing to red wine.

I would buy champagne but I'm afraid to open it. Maybe if I find a screw top, heh.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, random chance said:

I would buy champagne but I'm afraid to open it. Maybe if I find a screw top, heh.

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, get their Secco. It's a screw top Prosecco and it's $7. Not too shabby! (Screw tops are rarely pricey, but I promise this one tastes great.)

• Love 2

I'm not much of a drinker and I don't want to get tipsy in front of my kids. I think we're going to get some fancy Italian sodas. I'm also making tacos!

On the subject of cute animals, I ran across this story (also, I love koalas):

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/07/501002437/photos-australian-police-find-baby-koala-in-a-backpack?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202707

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, random chance said:

Congratulations! And for what it's worth, I think POM pomegranate juice is the next best thing to red wine.

It's easy - just keep a dishtowel over the cork as you remove it.  Do it enough and you won't need the towel.

Unless you're planning on using a saber, in which case, you're on your own!

• Love 10

Well, I've managed to avoid all the news shows so far today and only had to mute a few campaign ads.. What I did do is pull up YouTube and watch the video 'One Day More' from Les Miserables (fitting, no?). And I sang along with it at the top of my lungs (at least the parts I know) and found myself much calmer afterwards. Whatever works, folks, whatever works!

• Love 7

I'll be here with Msnbc on, my tablet set to the PTV live thread, my phone on Twitter, and my Kindle on Fruit Drops for a distraction. My sister is sending me some goodies so there will be noms. My cats will hide when the shouting begins.

• Love 4

Well, I've managed to avoid all the news shows so far today and only had to mute a few campaign ads.. What I did do is pull up YouTube and watch the video 'One Day More' from Les Miserables (fitting, no?). And I sang along with it at the top of my lungs (at least the parts I know) and found myself much calmer afterwards. Whatever works, folks, whatever works!

Chuck Todd talked about that song being fitting on MTP the other day!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Menrva said:

Aren't they adorable? It's really my kid that got me into bats. She's kind of obsessed. We've checked out every single bat book out of our local library. Multiple times. I now know a LOT about bats…

Good for you.  Bats don't have much of a fan club and they could use the help.  I put up bat houses and followed all the rules--up high, facing east, unobstructed by wires of any kind.  Ended up with mud dauber condos.  Bummer.

Dammit, I had four "quote-posts" to respond to and I lost them.  Let's see:

--Champagne advice from when I was a beginner:  Korbel's okay; never drop below that.  Brut or Dry.  Hold the cork, twist the bottle.  (If you love your alcohol really sweet, stock in a bottle of Asti Spumante and knock yourself out.)

--Turn your friends on to PTV?  No.

--Can't remember the third.

--MARIELA!  Oh, sweetheart, c'mere, have a hug. {{{ M }}}  I guess you're beyond being soothed with baby fluffy things.  Let's go pharmaceutical.  Can you find a friend with a spare half a Valium?  You sound like you're experiencing the sort of anxiety that needs to come down to a manageable level. 

I suppose this advice is frowned on by some, but, for example, I recently went in for a procedure universally referred to as "excruciating."  I said to the gyno:  "I'm terrified about how much this is going to hurt.  Hand over a Valium."  She found that just hilarious.  Then she thought about it, wrote me a scrip for a few mgs of diazepam and rescheduled my appointment. 

If you need one, you need one.

[ETA:  Hi there, Quilt Fairy!  Didn't see you there before I posted.  Sorry, I just like dryyyyyyyyy.  : / ]

Edited by candall
  • Love 7

I'm amazed at how many people actually watch the results coming in for an election. My feeling is that once I vote, I'm done. I don't need to know the results as they're occurring, because they don't matter & I don't need that kind of tension in my life. All I care about are the final results so as I always do, I am going to skip all the election TV & maybe watch "The Crown" on Netflix.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, GaT said:

I'm amazed at how many people actually watch the results coming in for an election. My feeling is that once I vote, I'm done. I don't need to know the results as they're occurring, because they don't matter & I don't need that kind of tension in my life. All I care about are the final results so as I always do, I am going to skip all the election TV & maybe watch "The Crown" on Netflix.

I didn't used to -  until Obama.  With Obama, I was hopeful, and optimistic.   I wanted him to win, but the opposing candidates didn't strike fear in my heart.

This election, if I didn't have to be at work until quite late, I would be watching every minute of the results.  As it is, I will check online the minute the last meeting is over at 9 pm, and then rush home to watch on TV.    I'm hopeful, but the idea of Trump winning leaves me scared for the country. (and ashamed of what we have become) 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, backformore said:

I didn't used to -  until Obama.  With Obama, I was hopeful, and optimistic.   I wanted him to win, but the opposing candidates didn't strike fear in my heart.

This election, if I didn't have to be at work until quite late, I would be watching every minute of the results.  As it is, I will check online the minute the last meeting is over at 9 pm, and then rush home to watch on TV.    I'm hopeful, but the idea of Trump winning leaves me scared for the country. (and ashamed of what we have become) 

I always have. But I didn't start to let the tension of watching until the 2000 election. I don't know why I do this to myself, but it's like...unable to look away. This will be the second time I'll be drinking while watching. The first time Obama ran, I was out of the country, but I'm sure I would have watched then as well. I do remember watching his speech after he was declared the winner, though, on my parents' television in India.

• Love 7