Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

5 hours ago, NextIteration said:

Too true, there are some lovely Proseccos between $15-25!

I would recommend also that in the thirty dollar range you can get some really superior Cavas.  Cavas tend to be a bit drier and closer to champagne I find.  Love me some prosecco as well. 

If you can find it, Dr, Constantin Frank vineyards in the Finger Lakes makes a really good Methode de Champagnois that is really decently priced.  I think it is one of the best domestic bubblys under fifty bucks.

I'm definitely not a results watcher since I have a huge animus towards declaring someone the winner with only 2% of the turnout type of media approach we have.  Frankly I think no results reporting should be allowed until at least 48 of the states have closed their voting polls.  Ideally waiting for Hawaii and Alaska would also be followed but I can see why it would get a pass for the East Coast and the numbers involved.  Another reason why early voting should be nationwide.  V

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 2

Now see, I wouldn't dream of not watching the results.  I have some notes jotted down about some critical races--Missouri Senate is a nail biter and Red MO often splits their ticket.  I'm going to scoot closer and closer to the television as I strain my eyesight peering at those numbers updating--I'm want to keep tabs on ALL FIFTY STATES.  (I've bookmarked that sleeping baby otter suckling his toes if I need a hit off an oxygen tank.)

I just think it's fascinating that after decades of various states always voting this way or that way, lots of those bets are off the table.  Okay, on the edge of the table? 

Trump might lose his shit at the breakfast buffet in the morning, start humping Kellyanne Conway's leg and give us a Democratic Senate. 

If there's an upset somewhere, I don't want to miss it--I've been cheering and choking on political upsets for a whole damn year--Ah cain't kwitchew NOW.

• Love 4

I'm keeping all the hateful articles away from here but I needed to share some of the email content.

The House Judiciary committee chairman has demanded the FBI provide details of the FBI investigation of the 650,000 emails on Weiner's laptop.  Can't wait!!!!

If the emails are duplicates according to Comet, why were they on Weiner's laptop?  No one is asking this question.

How good is the FBI computer search software? Some Fortune 500 companies have unbelievably poor search functions on their retail websites.  So do some state government websites.

What? I just... What do pro-Trump people think is in these emails? And like... really? Seriously? I'm not going to generalize about older people because a fair number of them grew up with computers and a lot of the technology prevalent today and were the pioneers of computer tech and coding. BUT... I don't get the sense that a ton of them went to work in government and that is a problem. Either we need more people who know what they're talking about when it comes to technology, women's health and bodies, etc. in government or we at least need more people who are willing to educate their damn selves.

Also... going back to how can people support Trump? There's this article from some women voting for him. I'm sorry but some of these answers... 

• Love 1

I'm so, so anxious about this election I could not work today.  I seriously could do nothing - no attention span and I kept finding myself staring out the window.  My stomach hurts so bad!

I will be watching the returns tomorrow night, though.  No way I can't.  I'd just end up clawing my own face off from the stress of not knowing.

I'll be here for the chat.  It's the only thing that's keeping me a little bit sane.

• Love 5

I watched the 2000 results (which seemed to go on for weeks) and most of 2008 but will not miss tomorrow night's. Though my previously well-controlled anxiety started spiraling down (up?) today.

Interview with Khizr Kahn? Tears. Hillary in the rain? Tears. Gotta get a grip! This is just so emotional. Such high stakes. And I feel such optimism!

Maybe I should get out and Prancercise!

giphy.gif

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

I'm so, so anxious about this election I could not work today.

Same.  I've been sitting here reading and posting, reading and posting, for ten straight hours.  I'm still drinking morning coffee and, look! It's four-freaking-o'clock!

I need to shut down and LIE down for awhile.

• Love 6

I took a book break and finished A Man Called Ove. Tears. Lots. But what a sweet read.

Now I'm watching the ID channel. Maybe murder and mayhem will help remove the edge. Except it's an episode of Disappeared and I need something with an ending. But it's a location I know. I'm so confused! lol

Maybe I'll work on a grocery list for tomorrow.

Nope, back to MSNBC. 

Flipping helps.

• Love 3

I've got a rule about FB: I must have been in the same room as you or had an actual face-to-face convo w/ you to be FB friends; am I alone in that?

I was late to facebook. Sometimes I'm not much of a millennial. I really just use it to keep (very tenuously) in touch with people from high school, college, and occasionally elementary school who have obviously scattered all over the place. I do have one friend I'm close with who I've never met in person. In this day and age I think there are people online you can have much longer, more honest and involved conversations with than face-to-face convo friends. And my best friend and I really became the closest when I moved away and would call her and talk for hours on the phone.

I don't really watch election results. But if I'm available to hang out, I might pop in. We'll see if I can get back from the suburbs that day.

• Love 2

Fantasizing about a Clinton victory tomorrow night. Since among the many, many, many things Trump has ruined includes the "God Bless the USA" song he uses for his rallies, I would love it if after Trump loses (please God) some people took those CDs, and did this:

• Love 2

I wish when it was all over and Hillary (please please) wins, that we who support her, root for her, could have large demonstrations, joyous ones, singing, dancing, to celebrate and show it.  It would be so nice to rebut the media narrative of "no enthusiasm".  I'm so sick of hearing that! Or that there's any equivalence between her character and Trump's!

But, of course, we can't. Because that would be gloating, and shit-stirring. (Not that I think the deplorables wouldn't be grabbing their guns and confederate flags (for some) and marching through the streets if their guy wins. But we who support Hillary are supposed to be better than that (sigh).  I hope at least they don't plan any ugly demonstrations to spoil her victory party. It's awfully close to Trump's....

• Love 9

I have a facebook account that has no friends and not content.  I created it to be able to see the pictures of my nephew.  And to take advantage of this great deal Land'o'Lakes had on butter coupons one Christmas that I happened to have volunteered to do the cookies for the whole family get together.  But, um, mostly nephew pics.  Yeah.  Nephew pics.  Let's not let my sister-in-law know about that butter coupon thing okay (it was buy one get one free with no limits!)

But I love the philosophy of having to have been in the same room (I'd stretch it to allow relatives you might know only through correspondence and haven't had the chance to meet in person yet).

I'm hoping I have the resolve to stay offline except in making sure two books that come out tomorrow make it to my kindle.  I've saved tons of shows to watch when I get home and am keeping my wine choices all Spanish because I wanted something with bubbles when I watch the Daily Show live tomorrow night in hopes I have something to celebrate shortly before midnight.  I was torn between Mablec and Roble for my reds but as already stated I am a Cava guy when it comes to bubbles and figured I had to drink solely something with Spanish on the label.

• Love 3

But, of course, we can't. Because that would be gloating, and shit-stirring. (Not that I think the deplorables wouldn't be grabbing their guns and confederate flags (for some) and marching through the streets if their guy wins. But we who support Hillary are supposed to be better than that (sigh). 

We've got (most of) the (good) artists on our side so I think there will be celebrations that are joyful and inspiring but not over the top. I'm expecting that if there aren't songs written there will at least be some performances floating around whether on stage or informally through social media.

• Love 4
On 11/6/2016 at 10:29 AM, millennium said:

weaponized email as a trigger word, not unlike one a hypnotist might use to make a man bark like a dog, that instantly fills the mind with hatred, dread, illusions of conspiracies, and the certainty that only Donald Trump can lead us into the light.

(Quoting myself here)

On 11/6/2016 at 11:45 AM, fastiller said:

I forget what my imaginary band name is at the moment  (it changes from time to time), but weaponized email is so the name of our next album.  Thanks @millennium!

And these:

51 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

Do they have a combo class I can go to? Alcoholic Overeaters? 

&

50 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

That should be a band name.

THERE IT IS: My imaginary band name is now Alcoholic Overeaters and our first Album will be Weaponized Email (italics included).

4 minutes ago, tenativelyyours said:

But I love the philosophy of having to have been in the same room (I'd stretch it to allow relatives you might know only through correspondence and haven't had the chance to meet in person yet).

I think this may sort of be directed at one of my posts.  I think of Facebook as a place to go to hang with friends.  Twitter, on the other hand, is just for me yelling into the ether.  I don't care who follows me or anything. What is odd to me is when I see someone I know posting at Jezebel or other places.  It's sort of a "worlds colliding" thing.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Also... going back to how can people support Trump? There's this article from some women voting for him. I'm sorry but some of these answers... 

Why the hell did I read this?  Because I nearly threw my computer out the window when I read:

I haven’t even gotten on to see exactly what Trump said, because I think that’s stupid. Unless you want to write Jesus Christ in as your vote, you might as well forget it. There isn’t any perfect person on the planet. I heard that he said something about groping women, and I’m thinking, Okay, No. 1, I think that’d be great. I like getting groped! I’m heterosexual. I’m a woman, and when a guy gropes me, I get groping on them! I grope them back. Groping is a healthy thing to do. When you’re heterosexual, you grope, okay? It’s a good thing. Try it. I wonder if Nixon groped Pat. Since December, I’ve done very little reading. I’ve heard little snippets here and there on the radio, and I don’t watch TV. I’m just going on what I have at the gut. If Trump really did something that made me feel like he was compromising what I thought was good for the country, I’d get right on and I’d start reading. But all I hear is people are saying he likes to grope women. I’m sorry, that just hasn’t given me any doubt about my vote.

I feel like "since December, I've done very little reading" says it all, doesn't it?  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to start drinking this cranberry prosecco I got at Trader Joe's.  

ETA - Dear god, I finished the entire article.  Why am I a glutton for punishment?

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, film noire said:

The primary tape of Sarandon trying to play "gotcha!" with Dolores Huerta killed any right Sarandon has to call herself a liberal activist. When you're playing games like that with an eighty something Latina organizer -- who had her spleen busted apart by cops while you were traipsing around Cannes in a designer dress -- in that scenario, who the fuck is the elitist? 

That would be when my uber liberal daughter jumped completely off the Bernie train. she grew up immersed in the Spanish language and culture and she was just done with that crap pulled on Huerta.

I start Alcoholic Overeaters Anonymous on Monday when I get back from the trip - I intend to eat all the good food until then.

Hillary will be at the Javitz Center tomorrow night - I really wish that she would go to Central Park or something, I loved Obama at Grant Park and this will be every bit as historic.

• Love 5

Twitter, on the other hand, is just for me yelling into the ether. 

Yeah, Jane (groping is great) was the one who jumped out at me in that article too. As someone pointed out in the comments, she probably wouldn't feel that way if it was someone she found "undesirable" which is kind of the point. 

In the interest of distraction, let's talk about twitter. It's weird for me because yes, part of it is yelling into the ether and retweeting jokes and lately political stuff. But I also use it to promote my blog and other little things like that. (It's not working terribly well.) But I don't treat it entirely as a self-promotion platform, nor do I think it comes across that way. And I would never hand it over to an employer. It's not particularly risque, and neither is my facebook page but it's just... too random? Does that make sense? I haven't used it as an outlet for bad behavior or as a tool for branding. I'm doing social media all wrong.

• Love 2

Way waaaaay upthread, someone mentioned the late, great Spy magazine. I had a subscription and have thought of Trump as "the short-fingered vulgarian" ever since they coined the phrase.

Prosecco and Cava are too dry for me. Why not just drink some dust. There's an asti spumanti I really like and maybe I'll get some of that. When it's too cold for sangria, I usually go for a Riesling or hard cider. For special occasions, Bailey's and gelato milkshake.

• Love 2
Just now, ABay said:

Way waaaaay upthread, someone mentioned the late, great Spy magazine. I had a subscription and have thought of Trump as "the short-fingered vulgarian" ever since they coined the phrase.

Prosecco and Cava are too dry for me. Why not just drink some dust. There's an asti spumanti I really like and maybe I'll get some of that. When it's too cold for sangria, I usually go for a Riesling or hard cider. For special occasions, Bailey's and gelato milkshake.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I have been feeling so much tension that I was in desperate need for a good cry to act as an emotional release valve.  I could not muster up a tear until I put on Adele.  She never fails to deliver the tears.  

You know what movie I plan on seeing tomorrow?  Hacksaw Ridge.  It's probably not my best idea.  Hopefully, there won't be many people so I can hide alone in the back and sob quietly. 

• Love 2

Look, it's OK you guys. I started bleeding out of my wherever today so we can convene the blood coven and get this all sorted out.

(That was a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend reference if you haven't watched this week's episode.)

• Love 10
53 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I like getting groped! I’m heterosexual. I’m a woman, and when a guy gropes me, I get groping on them! I grope them back. Groping is a healthy thing to do.

Oh this woman is so delusional. She seems to think consent is implied with the women he groped. Who the hell says that only straight folks grope? I mean, she's the dumbest person I've quoted in a while, but the type of crotch grabbing she is describing seems to work for any gender combination. I'm so sick of consensual sexual touching being mixed up with sexual assault. Like how they are saying Jay Z has lyrics worse than what Trump said on the Access Hollywood stuff. Um, you realize people can be as freaky as they want when there are consenting adults? Kill me, I already need more booze.  

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

You know what movie I plan on seeing tomorrow?  Hacksaw Ridge.  It's probably not my best idea.  Hopefully, there won't be many people so I can hide alone in the back and sob quietly. 

OH, going to a movie is a great idea. Usually on election day I volunteer with election protection, but a different group is handling it this year and they've made a total mess of it here so I'm free all day. There's no chance of doing any work, but your idea is brilliant. 

• Love 1

I was feeling pretty optimistic, then started worrying about the "hidden bigot" vote.  Does anyone know if polls are structured to try to detect and weed out liars?  I know that personality tests can do it, but can polls?

I was talking to my boss today, and it's scary that so many people still just think of Trump as funny buffoon.  He's not voting for either Clinton or Trump, but thinks they are equally bad.  I started comparing Trump to Hitler and he laughed until he realized I was serious.  I'm afraid there are too many people still thinking that Trump is harmless and he'll just "shake things up."

I'll be here tomorrow night with my Sangria-flavored vodka!

• Love 7

I do see a pattern with the Dems getting supporters worked up about the anti-abortion views of their opponents but it would be fabulous if we could get to a point where a woman's reproductive rights were such a given and so little in question that it couldn't be used as a reason for writing off a Republican candidate. Is there a way we can switch around the extremism so someone like Tim Kaine ends up a Republican?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Grommet said:

I'll be here with Msnbc on, my tablet set to the PTV live thread, my phone on Twitter, and my Kindle on Fruit Drops for a distraction. My sister is sending me some goodies so there will be noms. My cats will hide when the shouting begins.

THIS!!!

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

I'm afraid there are too many people still thinking that Trump is harmless and he'll just "shake things up."

They remind of all the British people who voted to leave the EU just to express an opinion & then were surprised when it passed & are now crying because "they didn't think their one vote would count".  

• Love 15

Well I won't be able to eat anything tomorrow so I ate hearty this evening.  I went to the take-out restaurant I frequent and the counter girl asked me who I am voting for.  I immediately replied "Hillary" I asked her who she was going to vote for and she said she didn't love either but Hillary is better.  I spent the ENTIRE wait time BASHING Trump and made her promise that she would vote and that she would make her brother vote too.

I felt good about it.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, fastiller said:

THERE IT IS: My imaginary band name is now Alcoholic Overeaters and our first Album will be Weaponized Email (italics included).

Hahaha! This made me laugh so hard today. I have an ALL DAY meeting tomorrow y'all. I will be holding my phone under the table and constantly refreshing to see the latest news even though nothing will be official until evening hours.

• Love 5

My husband and I are hosting a party tomorrow night to help us as well as our friends deal with tension and anxiety. Some of our friends, colleagues and neighbors that are coming are Republicans, however they are not voting for Trump and many of them don't even consider Trump a Republican. They want Hillary to win.

In any case, we are in Southern CA, so most of us are leaving work early to start drinking, eating, and watching the coverage as East Coast results could start coming in fairly early over here. We also may have one of our big computer monitors out with the "Live Election Thread" on this site up so we can see how everyone else is coping and what is going on in other states from your perspective - which is always much more entertaining than the Media's.

I stopped at the liquor store this afternoon to pick up a couple of things that I forgot when I did the "big shop" this weekend and it was amazing how picked over the place was. Even around Christmas/New Years, the Superbowl, etc. I don't think I've ever seen the place so busy and also so picked over. The clerk said that they had been having pretty much non-stop traffic and a lot of people were having election get togethers and whatnot.

As it seems unlikely that Trump will concede even when Hillary wins - I must stay positive here - we plan on likely being up all night so most are staying here and taking the next day off work. If he does, by some miracle, concede tomorrow or Wednesday, we will be relieved and enjoying ourselves, but quietly from inside the house and in the privately fenced in back-yard. All of our immediate next door neighbors are coming to the party, and I am unaware of any Trump supporters close by in the neighborhood, but the HOA won't allow signs here, so it's not like they could advertise it even if they were. However, since we're in Southern CA and in a pretty Liberal area, I hope we don't have to worry about any crazy Trumpsters in the area.

I just really hope that, when tomorrow night is over, Hillary has officially won, and won by a decent margin. If Trump won't concede right away, that won't bother me quite as much as I think he's going to have a tough time justifying not conceding very shortly thereafter and hopefully the Republicans put some pressure on him to do so because otherwise they run the risk of Orange Hitler damaging the Republican Party as a whole even more than he already has. In any case, at least we'll have plenty to drink and stuff our faces with. I don't know how well I'd be able to cope if I had to be alone tomorrow and most of our friends don't want to be alone either, so I'm glad we'll be able to be together and have some fun, despite the fact that it could be a tense evening given what is at stake here.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 3

I couldn't not watch the results as they come in tomorrow night. Will be watching with my hubby. I'm really hoping for Florida to go blue, so I can relax a little bit, on the earlier side. I'm basically glued to MSNBC for the next 30 hours while I'm awake, and not voting. Or getting some thank-you-for-voting gifts that some businesses near me are giving out.

• Love 4

I don't know if I'll be able to eat tomorrow.  I do know I'll have to remind myself I can't take an Ativan with alcohol, because I am going to be really tempted to dig out one of those pills; I've already started having some physical manifestations of anxiety, and other than one totally random incident years ago that was, by process of elimination, ruled an anxiety attack (and resulted in the Ativan), that is something that only happens during periods of extreme and acute emotional trauma. 

That is what this election has reduced me to.  I've been appalled before, and thoroughly disenchanted with my fellow Americans, but this is an entirely different ball game.  This man is more dangerous and less qualified than George W. Bush could even conceive of being.  I can't believe a Trump presidency is even a possibility.

The Philly event is making me feel a bit better.

• Love 7

All my media - two laptops, an iPad and an iphone - will be going off at 7p local time (I am central time).  Dear hubby has a garage project that will keep him away. I looked ahead and tomorrow night in the 7 to 9 o'clock hours, Real Housewives and Vanderpump Rules are being re-broadcast from tonight's first runs.  I have my white Zinfandel cold in the fridge and, though I don't drink but maybe a class every six weeks and mostly only in social situations, there will be a glass in hand tomorrow night.

I may check once before bedtime after that - by then, at least half the country should be closed at the polls.  But that's it.  

When I think about how easy it was to wait it out the last two presidential elections, it is depressing.  But she's got this.

• Love 1

I have been on a news diet for the past several days only watching Chris and Rachael on MSNBC.  I cannot say it has worked all that well, I bought Cheeze Its today.  I have been eating low carb and said fuck it.  A friend said they looked like Trump.  Talk about a buzz kill, Jesus. 

One more day.  

20 minutes ago, gatopretoNYC said:

I couldn't not watch the results as they come in tomorrow night. Will be watching with my hubby. I'm really hoping for Florida to go blue, so I can relax a little bit, on the earlier side.

I am hoping for this, too.  

• Love 5